PDA

View Full Version : Interesting summer (Long)

sunnycher
Nov. 4, 2007, 07:28 PM
I've never posted here before, but did want to tell my summer story, and what made me know I'm going to be o.k was a beautiful trail ride on Halloween.

I used to trail ride every day out my back door (for 13 years) into forever BLM land, also fox-hunted, etc, etc.

Then we moved, and I don't have quite the same access to trails - I can still go, but need to trailer, so it isn't as convenient. So, I started eventing, taking dressage and jumping lessons and LOVED it. However I did miss the trail access. I try to trailer out about 2 - 3 times a month, but it wasn't until last week that I ventured out by myself. I think I was worried that if i fell or something happened, where would my horses go?

Anyway.... on July 1 this year, I had a BAD fall from my big 1/2 shire. I didn't break anything, but had a concussion and still have a HUGE hematoma on my butt and was lancing it 1 to 2 times a week to drain off the fluid up until the middle of October.

I didn't ride all summer, then in August I lost my beautiful OTTB mare when some bulls came through our property, she had a "de-gloving injury to her leg and we had to put her down. I started riding lightly again end of August and had another fall in October - windy day, over a jump, and the panel jump took off in the wind and my horsey did an "air-jordan" and off I came. I took 1 lesson since I've been back on and I was a MESS, big chicken. By the end, it was o.k., but I sucked!

So, needless to say - it's been weird. Good news is I have a fresh perspective and realize that things really can change in an instant.

I am down to 2 horses now - my perfect mare- and a 3.5 y.o TB cross. He's been backed last spring, but didn't really get him going, and now I just don't quite have the same "enthusiasm" to get on him myself. So we do lots of ground work, and I'm looking for a trainer to get him going.

So we went out into the foothills by ourselves, my mare and ponying the baby. The day was glorious, no-one in sight, late afternoon about 65 degrees, no wind, great footing, everything I could have asked for. We were galloping up a sandy wash and it hit me, I need to ride out to get my confidence back. I am so much more comfortable out in the open (why I love cross country), I naturally have better balance, timing, etc. It was so awesome, it made me cry. I guess I thought maybe my "real" riding was done, but I think I just needed to heal, and then get outside again.

So maybe my next riding venture will be endurance??? There are folks around here who do that, or maybe back country horsemen? Love the "outside". I would quit for sure if all I had to look forward to was dressage (sorry, don't mean to offend). Thanks,

ChocoMare
Nov. 5, 2007, 10:34 AM
Well good for you! Sheesh, after those falls and the loss of your mare, most anyone would want to just crawl in a hole. What guts!

jazzrider
Nov. 5, 2007, 10:49 AM
...We were galloping up a sandy wash and it hit me, I need to ride out to get my confidence back. I am so much more comfortable out in the open (why I love cross country), I naturally have better balance, timing, etc. It was so awesome, it made me cry. I guess I thought maybe my "real" riding was done, but I think I just needed to heal, and then get outside again.

So maybe my next riding venture will be endurance??? There are folks around here who do that, or maybe back country horsemen? Love the "outside". I would quit for sure if all I had to look forward to was dressage (sorry, don't mean to offend). Thanks,

Good for you, sticking with it and finding your way after a rough summer. I can so relate, having had some serious falls a few years back that really messed with my confidence and love for riding. I agree -- nothing builds confidence better than getting out on trail with a good horse, having fun and enjoying nature. And I think it's the same wonderful experience for the horse. Training, dressage, jumping, etc. are great, but none of it compares to getting out in the open with your horse. It sounds like the best thing for you and your horses is a balance of both. Best wishes to you!

Huntertwo
Nov. 5, 2007, 09:21 PM
Kudos to you for still getting back on and moving forward after such a bad luck summer, especially the loss of your mare. :(

It sounds like you finally found where you need to be to find your inner peace. I can only handle the ring for so long - just enough to do some bending and schooling. But give me the trails anyday!

sunnycher
Nov. 6, 2007, 11:26 AM
Thank you! It has been so interesting - both good and bad. I'm not used to being "out of commission" that is hard. Plus now I feel soooo out of shape & flabby, bucause I haven't been able to do much.

But the good is that I am back riding, will NEVER again go without my helmet, and have a different appreciation for all that I have and can do. God has a way of getting our attention!!! Thanks again, gina

IdahoRider
Nov. 7, 2007, 07:54 PM
Hi, I was thinking, as I read your post, that your weather sounds a great deal like what we've been having here in my area. Then I saw your location. Are you in Idaho? If so, which part? I am just outside of Boise.
I don't ride out as much as I would like to. I don't have a trailer and so my gelding tends to get excited when we go anywhere, at least initially. But I love to trail ride, which is something that I forget until the next time I ride out.
Sheilah

sunnycher
Nov. 8, 2007, 10:07 AM
Hey Sheilah, yes i'm outside of boise, too. PM me and we can "meet". Thanks!

The weather has been glorious!!!

Prieta
Nov. 8, 2007, 10:25 AM
You sound like you had a terrific time to get back in saddle. :)

Congratulations!

Auventera Two
Nov. 8, 2007, 11:42 AM
I just spent a week in Boise for an equine podiatry workshop! It was very beautiful! :D Each night I spent time driving up into the mountains in my rental car. It really was a fantastic trip!!

I enjoyed reading your post sunnycher. Im with you - I need the wide open spaces to clear out the pipes and brain and keep my heart pumping. I live for trail riding!

sunnycher
Nov. 8, 2007, 01:03 PM
Not to hi-jack my own post - but - an Equine podiaty clinic sounds cool! I love my farrier, I go barefoot (except my mare has a crack beginning in her front hoof, so we'll probably put shoes on front to keep a handle on it.

My question is - what hoof boots do you recommend? I would love to get some, just not sure which ones. I trail ride, jump, etc. Thanks

Auventera Two
Nov. 8, 2007, 02:05 PM
I love the Old Mac's G2s, and also the Easyboot Epics. It took me a bit to get used to the Epics, but now I love them! Browse www.easycareinc.com (http://www.easycareinc.com) to view all their boots. They have a brand new one coming out in a couple of months that's supposed to be quite revolutionary. I can't wait!

IdahoRider
Nov. 8, 2007, 03:06 PM
My gelding goes barefoot, too. The woman I got him from in trade for a mare that was way too much horse from me had pulled his shoes the month before we traded and he has stayed that way for the almost three years that I've had him.
I have been with this farrier for about 5 years now. He took care of my senior gelding, kept him comfortable through some scary times with a lot of corrective care and work. Despite the fact that he specializes in performance horses and corrective work, he has been totally supportive of keeping my current gelding barefoot. His name is Pat Thacker and he is wonderful!
Sunnycher, I PM'ed you!
Sheilah in Idaho