PDA

View Full Version : Maryland Slots Rally...

Acertainsmile
Nov. 2, 2007, 11:07 PM
This is taken from the Laurel Park site...

http://www.laurelpark.com/NewsEvents/FeatureStories/Details/Annapolis110207.htm

Acertainsmile
Nov. 2, 2007, 11:12 PM
Another link...

http://www.nbc4.com/news/14498726/detail.html

BridalBridle
Nov. 3, 2007, 06:56 PM
Maryland will get it's slots but if you read the previous mentioned article, which is all true, the monies are going to education and not to the horse people. Read the locations. They are not race tracks. I just spoke with a local Senator and he doesn't think the Preakness will be in Maryland one more year. He said many people testified that they have already moved or are buying real estate in Pa because Md is dead to the horse people. Sorry this is last rights for Md Racing Industry. Horse people are resilient and they will merely move the horses and the farms to another state. The employees will follow. Location location location and the politicians of the state single handedly allowed Maryland to lose it's stature as a racing giant.

Laurierace
Nov. 3, 2007, 08:07 PM
What are you talking about? Laurel isn't a race track? Ocean Downs isn't a race track? And the racing industry gets a cut of the off track slots parlors as well if you read the whole proposal. As far as what the state spends their share on, education sounds as good as anything to me. Why would that be a bad thing?

BridalBridle
Nov. 3, 2007, 08:12 PM
I wish you were right. I hope you can be.

Laurierace
Nov. 3, 2007, 08:14 PM
I wish you were right. I hope you can be.

What does that mean? Are you saying that Laurel is not a race track?

Acertainsmile
Nov. 3, 2007, 08:28 PM
The location in Anne Arundal County will most likely be Laurel Park... I cant imagine anywhere else... Ocean Downs may be another matter... I know they are fighting hard not to put slots there... they feel it will ruin the family atmosphere in O.C.

However, the cut that the racetracks will get is the smallest percent of any state that has slots at racetracks... once it is divided up between the track owners, what trickles down to purses will be very small, and probably wont make much of a difference. It will keep racing alive, as long as there are horses in Maryland...

I'm afraid even with slots it racing in Maryland will change as we know it.

Not the best deal for horsemen, thats for sure, compared to other local states, but it looks like we are willing to take what we can get at this point.

http://www.nbc4.com/politics/14477483/detail.html

BridalBridle
Nov. 3, 2007, 08:31 PM
What does that mean? Are you saying that Laurel is not a race track?

I hope the monies go to the race horse industry.
\
Sure, I'm arguing that Laurel and Ocean Downs are not race tracks..WTF were you thinking to even ask that????:confused::confused: ..

Laurierace
Nov. 4, 2007, 09:24 AM
I hope the monies go to the race horse industry.
\
Sure, I'm arguing that Laurel and Ocean Downs are not race tracks..WTF were you thinking to even ask that????:confused::confused: ..

WTF were you questioning that that slots wouldn't be at race tracks if you know that Laurel is a race track? How is that for matching your maturity level toe to toe?

BridalBridle
Nov. 5, 2007, 12:15 PM
WTF were you questioning that that slots wouldn't be at race tracks if you know that Laurel is a race track? How is that for matching your maturity level toe to toe?

You are truly an asset to the racing industry. Keep at it.;);)

WhiteCamry
Nov. 5, 2007, 12:20 PM
I just spoke with a local Senator and he doesn't think the Preakness will be in Maryland one more year.

Wouldn't be the first time. The Preakness ran in Brooklyn, NY, for twenty years until 1907.

Acertainsmile
Nov. 5, 2007, 12:35 PM
Okay, I'm going to try and clear a few things up...

Bridle... the one article does state only counties and locations for slots... although it is also noted on other sites that Laurel Park will get slots... as well as possibly Ocean Downs.

70% percent of the revenue from slots will go to the State... the other 30% to the tracks... where it will be divided up, track owner, purses, etc...

Laurierace
Nov. 5, 2007, 02:41 PM
Okay, I'm going to try and clear a few things up...

Bridle... the one article does state only counties and locations for slots... although it is also noted on other sites that Laurel Park will get slots... as well as possibly Ocean Downs.

70% percent of the revenue from slots will go to the State... the other 30% to the tracks... where it will be divided up, track owner, purses, etc...

Keep in mind that DeFrancis gets a huge precentage, I can't remember the exact number, but it is over 50% of the 30% for the first five years that slots are in place. Sure doesn't leave much left to divvy up but I guess its better than nothing.

Laurierace
Nov. 5, 2007, 04:52 PM
Under the terms of Magna's purchase, disclosed in 2002 filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, Joseph A. De Francis and the other previous owners would take in 65 percent of Magna's slots profits for the first five years, 50 percent for the next five and 40 percent for the next decade.

Wow, that is a mega cash cow, no matter how you look at it.

BridalBridle
Nov. 6, 2007, 01:45 PM
65% of nothing is nothing

Xctrygirl
Nov. 6, 2007, 08:32 PM
Bridal...

out of sheer curiosity, what Md. Racing Association liscense do you have?

Owner?
Trainer?

I would just like to know what your level of involvement is with the Md backside?

Everyone knows I am an assistant trainer, and a steeplechasing trainer. Laurie is an owner and a trainer.

What are you exactly??

~Emily

BridalBridle
Nov. 7, 2007, 03:37 PM
Politically involved and connected. How about you?
Have been an owner (G1 St winners..shocked??) What does it that matter?

Laurierace
Nov. 7, 2007, 03:45 PM
Well I can't speak for Emily but to me if you are a race horse person in the state of MD then you and I should be on the same side of this issue. We are doomed if everyone is as negative as you are. In a sport where a 20% win percentage puts you in the hall of fame, you have to learn to look for the bright side, even if it is buried under miles of red tape.

Acertainsmile
Nov. 7, 2007, 04:06 PM
I agree Laurie, all owners, trainers and track employees should be on the same page... looking at the bright side has been hard, and I try to have the attitude that it's not over till it's over... period.

Maryland may indeed lose the status as a racing giant, although it appears that it's already happened, but I dont feel like racing is dead to horse people as Bridle has stated... There are still many horse people and TB farms in Maryland, and with a little luck we will pull ourselves out of this mess.

Flash44
Nov. 11, 2007, 05:55 PM
I can't quite figure out exactly what BridalBridle is trying to accomplish. We all know we need slot machines. If you are trying to predict the future, great, throw me some lottery numbers.

Xctrygirl
Nov. 11, 2007, 06:21 PM
Politically involved and connected. How about you?
Have been an owner (G1 St winners..shocked??) What does it that matter?

The reason I asked was because sometimes there are ardent supporters of various things that show up from other boards and rant for a bit, then vanish. It doesn't take much research to see that you're more actively involved in the hunter/jumper board.

So as such, and having been through this a couple times on many bb's, I asked to see if you actually had a clue about backside life. (Which sure as an owner you do. I don't care how well your horses ran, but congrats anyway) Very often the people who show up with a solid opinion on the race world don't have a clue. So personally I am glad that you're at least knowledgeable on the whole real world of a racetrack, or at least as much as an owner can be.

In the times between your first post over here and now, I am failing to really understand what the point is of waving negative flags at us, but not backing it up with specific proof. If you truly want to inform the public of flaws in the proposed legislation, then show us in the bills where it is.

Vagueness and defeatist rants do not accomplish much. Educating does.

So please educate us on your positions and give thorough examples. To that end we could better understand you and have enough of a foothold on your position that we could then make a better opinion for ourselves.

~Emily

BridalBridle
Nov. 14, 2007, 06:29 PM
The bill changes hourly. It passed the Senate and has changed so much from what was sent to the House that it doesn't resemble the original at all. The House has changed it so much that they called the Senators and said stay home til Thursday because the House was in such a struggle with it. It is hard to go over the specifics of what is wrong with the bill because it changes by the minute. Even the newspapers are reporting on things that occur and 6 hrs later they have changed by the time they go to print.
I am not the enemy. I only want ALL the legislators called , raise hell with them and let them know what you want. Let them know that you don't want pink flamingos and gnomes(which was actually in the bill for the slots spending package and MAY still be) to get the money, but that you want the horses to be the recipients. I guess things get lost in translation. I know the Annapolis system and when I read that "maybe with luck" MD will get slots and "maybe the monies will actually go where they should go" on this thread, it is upsetting to realize that the horse people are so naive. The legislators need to be hammered. Wishing and hoping and luck is not going to do squat. Phone calls, emails, and hard work is what is going to make the slots happen the right way. It's what is the only hope for the racing industry. Standing on the sidelines and watching isn't going to make it happen.
And I am sad that what I read here, wishing and hoping and not being proactive, is what the racing community is doing. So I am saddened that I feel it will fail. I want it to succeed. I want the slots to pass. I want the money to go where it belongs.
I can just see it now that someone thinks that just because MD passed slots that the day is saved. NOT. The monies have to be allocated to the rightful.

BridalBridle
Nov. 14, 2007, 06:35 PM
PS. It has to go back to the Senate after the House butchers it. Then it can get changed again and again......and if OMalley thinks his ego or political clout got damaged, he can veto it.
My bet is nothing will pass except the 6% sales tax MAYBE. My guess is that slots will be sent to the session in January. At the end of the day it could all be too little too late.
WTF are they putting slots at Ocean Downs...a little known track near OC that doesn't get traffic from big cities like Balt and Wash. So Charlestown will get the buses and buses of slot players again. It's the trotting track Rosecroft who is location location location the best place for the slots. And I have never even touched a trotter in my life.

Acertainsmile
Nov. 14, 2007, 09:38 PM
I'm going to wing it here, but on the Rosecroft deal... they are planning a Harbor Project on the Potomac... right off of RT 210... they are already building, and the plan is to put slots THERE, they will be completley state run, if I'm understanding correctly... that location is very close to Rosecroft. So the trotter people are SOL.