PDA

View Full Version : This is such an embarrassing question, but

suken road
Nov. 1, 2007, 07:26 PM
OK, so.
This is super embarassing, but here we go. What does everyone do about underwear lines beneath breeches. I just can't ride without them. I swear it makes me feel less stable in the saddle if I'm not wearing skivvies--they're apotropaeic or something. TERRRRRIBLE panty lines, however, are the result (with ALL underwear).

What do I do? It's just gotten so so so so so mortifying I can't handle it anymore. Now, we're all ladies here (for the most part). Do you have any suggestions?

God, I can't believe I just asked this. It's so embarassing. thank god for anonymity.

c_expresso
Nov. 1, 2007, 07:28 PM
For me at least, my underwear don't show with full seat breeches.

Also if the breeches are a little baggy it helps.

At Victoria's Secret they have underwear that are seamless and you can't see under anything... I wear them with dresses, and breeches.

NRB
Nov. 1, 2007, 07:34 PM
I personally don't worry about underwear lines showing...I'm more paranoid about the cellulite, no just kidding. I don't worry about what I look like as long as I am neat, tidy and clean. Anyway the Victoria Secret Body Wear...actually it just says Body by Victoria Secret on the inside. If that doens't work just find something else to worry about....concentrate on your riding... But seriously eventers are such a laid back group, I seriously doubt that ANYONE notices pantylines on anyone. First thing I look at is the horse....then maybe the tack, I might notice the rider later on...

BigRuss1996
Nov. 1, 2007, 07:43 PM
I wear a thong and full seat breeches.....no panty lines!! Or if you really can't handle the thong idea I do know a couple people who wear those boxer briefs things they sell at the tack shop for women, but I can't do those a) they usually have padding which is too diaperish for me, and b) then you have a line around your leg where the shorts thing ends.

topaz731
Nov. 1, 2007, 07:45 PM
Well I would say stay away from things like Under Armor boy shorts. I can't say I've ever ridden sooo comfortably but it was quite obvious in the pics. Really obvious in dressage. Then after seeing that I went drastic and went to a thong (sports fabric- no frills) and after the person who tried to give me a leg up included a push on the tush I will NEVER be wearing those again :eek:. So I've reverted back to an Under Armor-type fabric regular style (I think they're Nike or Champion)and they're comfy as can be :yes: and don't really show except on those good pictures when the photographer wants to get a picture of the back of my pinny. You can buy them in sports stores and they're the best. A woman I know who wears white breeches every time wears the long legged knickers (I can't think of anything else to call them) that go down to the lower thigh-- but I think that's a bit much for every event....but....can't see anything.

bornfreenowexpensive
Nov. 1, 2007, 07:48 PM
Hans makes a "no-line" that are pretty good. But the best trick is to wear dancer's tights or panty hose and full seats....no lines show then.

I perfer the dancer's tights since the hold up better then panty hose (and I like the footless and three-quarter length). The heavy duty control ones can really suck you nicely into place:D

deltawave
Nov. 1, 2007, 08:01 PM
Honestly, I figure if someone is looking critically at my panty lines--or my butt--that's their problem. Who cares??

arena run
Nov. 1, 2007, 08:10 PM
Honestly, I figure if someone is looking critically at my panty lines--or my butt--that's their problem. Who cares??

It would seem this is a rhetorical question on your part? Because, to me anyway, it's fairly evident that the OP cares. As do several other posters on here, as well as myself.

I can't STAND pantylines.

So, that's who cares. sylvia

VicarageVee
Nov. 1, 2007, 08:17 PM
omg. I have this problem! esp. because i love the super cheap (almost already see-through) tuff rider ribbed breeches. EVERYTHING shows through them...ugh.

When I worry about it (like at clinics or shows) I just hike my boobs up in my low cut polo to compensate. no one worries about my indecent breeches then! lol:lol:

I call it the "look up here!!!" method. ;)

sorry if that sounds tarty.

majesticthundor
Nov. 1, 2007, 08:20 PM
check out the victoria secret 'pink' line. they have some cotton-like fabrics with no seams in briefs and thongs. :)

deltawave
Nov. 1, 2007, 08:25 PM
Whatever floats your boat, I guess! :) Sorry I'm not much help--have never seen the point in fretting about it. :confused: Why not try those men's underwear that are like tight boxers? My son has some of those...

CookiePony
Nov. 1, 2007, 08:27 PM
Uh oh. :uhoh: Do my panty lines show and nobody's told me? I usually just wear my favorite briefs from Victoria's Secret. I *think* it's ok...

SuperSpike
Nov. 1, 2007, 08:30 PM
Some people don't care about VPL, others do. IMHO, they can ruin a neat, tidy appearance (even when you aren't trying to notice such things).

I always ride in a thong. If you're comfortable with a thong - I don't even notice I'm wearing one - that would be my recommendation.

Good luck finding a solution that works for you!

Kcisawesome
Nov. 1, 2007, 10:17 PM
^Just make sure you don't have thong-lines :lol:

ounce I saw someone who must have had the craziest underwear. she was wearing white breeches and her underwear were bright red with textured hearts, so the hearts stuck out. :lol: Hows that for underwear lines?

Candle
Nov. 1, 2007, 10:23 PM
Go to target and get the $6 boxer briefs. Otherwise, make sure your underwear isn't a size too small. Then, if that doesn't work, and you're really concerned, go try Spanx. Remember to get a nude color under white clothing, as white will stand out under white clothing. Sounds absurd, but it does.

Pocket Pony
Nov. 1, 2007, 10:26 PM
I'm not help - I'm with the others who don't give our panty lines a second thought. To be honest, I've never noticed other people's panty lines, either! :lol: I really couldn't imagine wearing a thong, though....yeouwch! :winkgrin:

flypony74
Nov. 1, 2007, 10:49 PM
Uh oh. :uhoh: Do my panty lines show and nobody's told me? I usually just wear my favorite briefs from Victoria's Secret. I *think* it's ok...

Ha...I was thinking the same thing, Cookie! I just don't notice these things on myself or anyone else!

Honestly, I don't give a crap about pantylines. Granted, I try not to wear leopard prints underneath my whites, but other than that, anything goes. Can't handle a thong. I generally wear a nice quality microfibre panty that I don't believe would create pantylines, but if it does, oh well!

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 1, 2007, 11:07 PM
I'm with Pocket Pony, flypony, and deltawave--I never worry about this *or* notice it! :p

(Of course now, as a result of this thread, I am probably going to be scrutinizing my own butt--and other womens'--when I/they are wearing breeches! :uhoh:)

VicarageVee
Nov. 1, 2007, 11:19 PM
oh no!
I so did not want to make other people self concious about this! I've ALREADY got a complex about it (as you can tell). Ok, from here on out, I will assume that--since we are eventers and not h/js--no one cares!
Liberation never felt soooo good. :D

GallopGirl
Nov. 1, 2007, 11:32 PM
VS has a few really great thongs that are comfortable as long as you get the right size. I was trying to hang on to my size smalls (size I wore in high school), but finally just gave in and got the mediums. A well fitting thong is fantastically comfortable.. no worries about bunching, sliding, moving around, etc. It stays put, and no lines.

horsesarelikepotatochips
Nov. 1, 2007, 11:38 PM
I'm with the thong crew... I wear them under everything including breeches, don't even know they're there, but you do have to watch for the weird thong line. Hanes makes a nice cotton thong that blends in nicely, even with the Tuff Rider ribbed breeches.

Jazzy Lady
Nov. 2, 2007, 02:03 AM
I like a nice cotton thong with soft seems. Or a sports thong with no seems. As long as it breathes. I'm one of those people who will not wear synthetics down there ;) (tmi?) hahah

PiedPiper
Nov. 2, 2007, 06:57 AM
The only butts I look at are horse's and men's so a VPL is really not a concern. :lol: Maybe when my position is perfect I will get that far down on my criticism list that I will actually notice what my backend is wearing.

flyingchange
Nov. 2, 2007, 07:27 AM
Oh God, I just don't deal well with underwear going up my a$$!!!! I don't pull my horse's tail either. We both go for full coverage.

I wonder if there is a correlation between people who don't pull tails and people whe don't wear thongs (but do wear underwear)?

Maybe we need a VPL clique???

A hunter/jumper friend of mine who used to do the thong thing wore them out fox hunting a few years ago and was, well, miserable. Hours and hours in the saddle and in a thong, galloping, etc - she soon moved on over to VPLs.

deltawave
Nov. 2, 2007, 08:07 AM
I *would* pull tails if I could "pull off" a decent job of it, but mine look fair at best so I've given up. Plus I'm showing Novice...nobody's going to be "wowed" by my pulled tail! :lol: And man, you wouldn't get me into any butt floss for love or money! :D

I'm with PiedPiper--if the day comes when my dazzling turnout and performance is marred ONLY by my underwear, I'll come up with SOMETHING. ;)

Fence2Fence
Nov. 2, 2007, 08:12 AM
I'm with PiedPiper--if the day comes when my dazzling turnout and performance is marred ONLY by my underwear, I'll come up with SOMETHING. ;)

Bahhaha. *snort*

As a newbie to fullseats, I can't imagine wearing thongs. Where the full seats contact my skin, I sweat. I can imagine...having more area that would sweat.

Hilary
Nov. 2, 2007, 08:35 AM
it's not the underwear that's the problem, it's the breeches - if your breeches are too tight and clingy than the world will know what you've got on underneath them.

Fabric that doesn't cling, and wearing the right size (baggy isn't flattering either) = no VPL.

Fwiw, one of my guy friends said that vpl is not the end of the world from his point of view (breeches or other clothes) - on the right butt it makes a nice outline......

yellowbritches
Nov. 2, 2007, 08:36 AM
I was forever a confirmed thong wearer. However, over the past year, I have been having an increasingly harder time finding undies that I could actually spend the entire day in and ride in and stay comfy. I went from thongs to boy shorts, and various other things. The general thought is that my seat is improving, which actually may be causing some, umm, shifting of my undergarments that is just wholy uncomfortable.

I did finally find some things, however, that seem to be comfortable, and fairly non-VPL producing. They are Hanes, cotton, and I believe they are called the "Hipster." They have a fake Y-front, so they kinda look like guy's underwear, but they have been extremely comfortable and non-shifting. And their is minimal VPL.

Back in September, I rode a great big moving horse in two First Level tests at a dressage show. I was in desperate need of doing laundry, and all my comfy Hanes were in the dirty laundry, so I wore another kind of boy shorts. I got SO chaffed that day that, well...umm, I had to declare myself "hands-off" to a certain person for a few days :lol: It hurt just to wear clothes, let alone do anything else...I took Paco for a hack the day after the show, and was constantly "practicing my galloping position"...at the walk ;) The pain was worth it, however. I scored my first 9 on a movement that day!

zoigal
Nov. 2, 2007, 09:19 AM
I use to get the panty hose w/the panty built in (maybe they do not make them anymore) to wear when I showed. My white britches were thin and to me I felt panty lines ruined my "turn out" appearance.

But in all honesty, I never noticed a fellow competitor's butt as in- "Lovely dressage test, too bad her panty lines showed"- was just concerned w/mine.

whitney159
Nov. 2, 2007, 09:28 AM
Seriously, you guys are comfortable riding in Thongs??
I always feel like riding in them is a set up for having them ride on up and slice me right in half! But then again, I'm long waisted, and they never seem to fit quite right no matter what.

I usually do the boy shorts or boxer briefs. With one pair of my boxers, they do end up with panty lines on the thigh, but I don't really sweat it anyway.

I usually don't worry about the panty lines at all. It's just that my "nice" breeches, the one pair of tailored sportsmans I own (all the rest are cheap schoolers) tend to ride a little high and give me a wedgie with regular underwear on!

whitney

deltawave
Nov. 2, 2007, 09:29 AM
I never noticed a fellow competitor's butt ...[snip]....was just concerned w/mine.

Reminds me of a verse from the Bible..

And why beholdest thou the panty line that is on thy sister's butt, but considerest not the VPL that are on thine own butt?

:D

Iride
Nov. 2, 2007, 09:39 AM
Where do you all buy your Hanes?

HiJumpGrrl
Nov. 2, 2007, 09:41 AM
Whoever said go to Target and get the boyshorts is RIGHT ON. the Hanes boyshorts that come in a 2-pack for $5 are awesome. They don't show. The VPL is still *possible* i suppose, but not in the place you might expect it and therefore less noticable?

Speedy
Nov. 2, 2007, 09:47 AM
Try wearing control top pantyhose under your breeches instead of underwear. You need to get a good pair so that they have the nice cottony liner. Cutting off the legs is optional. Less line at the thigh than boy briefs and much more comfortable. The alternative is a pair of Spanx...expensive, but useful in that they eliminate the line AND hold absolutely everything in.

Arcadien
Nov. 2, 2007, 09:51 AM
I'm with those who didn't use to care until someone pointed out someone else's obvious panty lines - then it occurred to me this did take away from the elegance of riding attire! In warm weather I wear a thong (or nada!) - look for the more expensive cotton thongs, they are more comfortable than cheapies. In cool weather I wear tights or stockings under breeches. Mind, I used to hate thongs, now I wear them all the time and don't notice them - except I feel classier with no panty lines possible, LOL!

NOT an embarrassing question BTW - how else would you learn how others cope? ;)

Arcadien

Camstock
Nov. 2, 2007, 09:57 AM

And why beholdest thou the panty line that is on thy sister's butt, but considerest not the VPL that are on thine own butt?

This only makes me regret not meeting you at the AECs MORE. :-)

riddlepadiddle
Nov. 2, 2007, 10:15 AM
Isn't there a brand called SLVR? That apparently works really really well. As for me, I just go with seamless. Not too noticable!!

Aha! Found them. I guess they're meant for those with panty line syndrome
http://www.horsetalk.co.nz/reviews/prod-rm-aerogear.shtml

bornfreenowexpensive
Nov. 2, 2007, 10:20 AM
Where do you all buy your Hanes?

sad...but you can get them at WalMart.....I am lucky and there is a Hans Outlet store near where I live and usually buy them there....

I'm less concerned about a VPL...as I am about giggle parts. I want the body that I had at 18.....but darn it, sitting at a desk all day isn't helping with that goal:lol: so I go for the artificial fix and wear something that SUCKS it all in for me!

FrittSkritt
Nov. 2, 2007, 10:22 AM
I have the Body by Victoria seamless ones, they're made out of some sort of synthetic and don't show any lines... only problem is they tend to slip around and bunch up! I have them in a size larger, but I think if I go down one it'll cause VPL. ;)

I tried the mid-thigh Assets (target version of Spanx) and didn't like the fact that it still showed a line on my legs... but it got rid of the VPL!

Lose That
Nov. 2, 2007, 10:27 AM
While I'm not going to share my personal underwear preference, I would say that if you are actually worried/concerned about panty lines showing, wear a thong. I make no claims as to comfort or practicality of this, but it's the only way I can see that there is no VPL at all. Good luck! And please for god's sakes whatever you wear just don't wear colorful undies and white britches!

WaldenPark
Nov. 2, 2007, 10:32 AM
hmmmm, i never really cared much about panty lines before...

was more concerned with my patterned underwear showing through my white breeches...

one more thing for me to be paranoid about! :lol:

Lori B
Nov. 2, 2007, 12:23 PM
Nooooooo. Stop the insanity.

Don't we do sports of any kind to get out of the business of micro-freaking managing our appearance? (and if that's not a good reason, I don't know what is.)

You are riding a galloping horse at solid objects, and you are worried about your pantylines?

I am not dissing the value and importance of nice turnout and well-groomed appearance. But do ya think any male rider EVER wonders about VPLs?

Platinum Equestrian
Nov. 2, 2007, 12:37 PM
Thong... always. Don't leave home without it.

deltawave
Nov. 2, 2007, 12:38 PM
Amen, Lori B. :yes:

Camstock, we may not have met at the AEC but I was hooting for you over fence #10 on Training...I was the fence judge but hooted anyhow. :p And I didn't notice your underwear at all. :lol:

KBG Eventer
Nov. 2, 2007, 12:39 PM
I just wear SLVR and hope no one is looking at my butt! :lol:

rileyt
Nov. 2, 2007, 12:53 PM
VPL expert coming through... (moi!)

As a reformed panty line shower... I have done extensive research on this subject. Below is my very scientific analysis:

Panty lines are caused by two competing forces, the bulk of the panty seam, and the material/cut of your breeches.

If you are wearing super cheapy nylon clingfest breeches (or if you wear super tight breeches of any type)... you have no hope of avoiding VSP unless you go commando. (Possibly a thong might work). Whilst some may find the prospect exciting, it can lead to uncomfortable chaffing of the bits and pieces.

So, to solve your VPL problems, follow these two simple steps:

STEP 1: Choose the right breeches
I have some TS four-way stretch breeches that I LOVE LOVE LOVE. Yes I know they are hunter breeches, but I love them. They fit, they flatter, and they are made of THICK material that doesn't show panty lines. I would have to be wearing a girdle for it to show through those suckers.

But, alas, my TS breeches have some drawbacks... they're expensive as hell, and also not so good for hot weather. In hotter weather, I have a pair of Ariat sport breeches that work nicely, but the material is thinner so you need some "seamless" panty lines.

STEP 2: Choose the right panties
After years of trying lots of yucky "seamless" underwear (especially some horrid ones made expressly for riding) I have found that JOCKEY makes a very nice seamless panty. They come in cotton, tactel, microfiber, and maybe some other materials. They're VERY nice and comfy and they don't look like my mom should be wearing them.

Voila! VPL problem solved!

missamandarose
Nov. 2, 2007, 12:56 PM
Hanes has some undies that are made out of a material that is similar to what pantyhose are made from. They look like they'd fit a 4 yr old, but they stretch (just like 'hose do) and are pretty comfy and have vitually no VPL. They dont have any special "wicking" properties, but b/c of the type of material they are made from they are... uhm... quite breathable.

Zephyr
Nov. 2, 2007, 01:09 PM
Hans makes a "no-line" that are pretty good. But the best trick is to wear dancer's tights or panty hose and full seats....no lines show then.

I perfer the dancer's tights since the hold up better then panty hose (and I like the footless and three-quarter length). The heavy duty control ones can really suck you nicely into place:D

I need some of those. I bought new show breeches and they are brutally thin, without "sucking in stretch," now i can see my cellulite... brutal. Tried the support shorts but you could see the bottoms all the way around the tops of my legs.

Normally i wear a thong at a show, although i prefer the feeling of 'full seat undies' when riding.

Camstock
Nov. 2, 2007, 01:20 PM
Thanks, Delta! After you posted the picture a while back, I realized that I saw and made eye contact and probably said good morning to you the morning of xc. I was re-walking the course while the earlier divisions went, but was in a hurry because I chatted my way around the earlier part of the course. It was fun to see all my jump judging friends, including BBowen and some non-COTH friends. Only wish I could have added another friend by chatting with you!

Oh, and back to regularly scheduled programming: Correctly fitting breeches are key for me (and at my height, that's a tough deal). I like the new Ariats. Wish I could find something that nice for less than $200. <gag> But I have finally accepted that you get what you pay for. I will have fewer breeches, but better ones, if that is the choice I have to make. As for undergarments, it doesn't matter to me too much as long as the breeches and underwear are not too tight. Tightness is what compresses and causes VPL (well, ok and also caused by too many calories, not enough working out...) ;-)

ThirdCharm
Nov. 2, 2007, 02:11 PM
Well, I live and ride in thongs, mostly the low-rise (which might be an option for the long-waisted?). No problems here!

I also feel compelled to note that I was standing near the judge in stadium at an event and she was discussing the dreaded VPL with another individual, so I guess they notice!!

Jennifer

Lori B
Nov. 2, 2007, 02:27 PM
Which is a sign that the judge is afflicted with this insanity, not that it is NOT in fact insanity.

fanfayre
Nov. 2, 2007, 02:45 PM
I have found that JOCKEY makes a very nice seamless panty

I totally agree; Jockey is my undie of choice. I like the French-cut; they appear right out of the package to look like granny-panties, but once they're on, look almost like large bikinis. They have a high leg, so give lots of room for the thigh to move around and shorten. The microfibre ones are very smooth and comfy with no ride-up happening. With those babies and the right fitting breeks ( as per rileyt), you're good to go. The cotton ones are nice for everyday.:winkgrin:
At least- no one has pointed out my VPL to me- I guess ignorance is BLISS:lol::lol::D

I HATE Hanes!- soo much bunching happened :eek:, I was constantly de-flossing:mad::mad::mad: and looked like this much of the time: :eek:
And don't even get me started on Fruit of the Loom!

Last time I was in the States, I looked for Spanx, but couldn't find them.
Plus, I agree with deltawave (as per usual...)

Speedy
Nov. 2, 2007, 02:48 PM
Last time I was in the States, I looked for Spanx, but couldn't find them.

You can get them at Bliss Spa - including at the bliss store online.

bornfreenowexpensive
Nov. 2, 2007, 02:51 PM
Which is a sign that the judge is afflicted with this insanity, not that it is NOT in fact insanity.

I blame my mother....

fanfayre
Nov. 2, 2007, 02:51 PM
You can get them at Bliss Spa - including at the bliss store online.

Is this a Canadian retailer? What's the online link- although the thought of having undies delivered give me the heebie-jeebies! I'm assuming they arrive in plain brown paper bags:lol::lol: What would my NOSY mail-lady think?!:D

halla
Nov. 2, 2007, 03:52 PM
I am not dissing the value and importance of nice turnout and well-groomed appearance. But do ya think any male rider EVER wonders about VPLs?

No, but good god, one of the guy's I know *should*. I did not ever need to know he wears the black version of tighty-whities, but his white breeches did little to hide it. Alas, now I cannot forget. Blech.

I recommend these:
http://www.oldnavy.com/browse/product.do?cid=36878&pid=507602&scid=507602052
(best underpants ever!)

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=16090&pid=326480
(also excellent)

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=16090&pid=362994
(not as superior in comfort, and I suggest buying a size up, some "climbing" may occur, but definitely the most minimal lines)

All three cover your rear, too! Though in decreasing amounts from first to last.

Ellie K
Nov. 2, 2007, 06:35 PM
This is not such an embarrassing question, really. Post-labiaplasty thread, VPL is no problem!!!

HATE VPL. Major pet peeve.

Any of my fellow thong-haters, you can also try a g-string. You can't pay me to wear a thong, but a well-made, well-fitting, stretchy g-string doesn't bother me at all and doesn't show. Target supposedly makes some 'generic' spanx but I've never tried those. I also like Bike athletic compression shorts which support and cut down on thigh fatigue. Nothing shows through those suckers and they don't show through most of my britches. Don't have a jiggle problem but they'd work for that too.

fanfayre
Nov. 2, 2007, 08:02 PM
Ah, but halla;
I CAN'T wear nylon undies with breeches- I get "saddle-rash" - highly unpleasant!! (And now WAAAYYY TMI!)
For the longest time I was afraid to try anything not cotton, until the microfibre caught on.

wabadou
Nov. 2, 2007, 08:11 PM
I wear a thong and full seat breeches.....no panty lines!! Or if you really can't handle the thong idea I do know a couple people who wear those boxer briefs things they sell at the tack shop for women, but I can't do those a) they usually have padding which is too diaperish for me, and b) then you have a line around your leg where the shorts thing ends.

I bought something from Dover a few years back that was somewhat like this

http://www.doversaddlery.com/equetech-equestrian-comfy-rumps/p/X1-3557/cn/58/

but WITHOUT the padded "rump"..ICK!!
Obviously they don't sell it any more as the one I bought had the longer leg but no padded booty..I see what you mean about the "diaperish"...I checked out my last show picture in dressage whites and WHEW! no lines!....

I can't do the thong thing, my hat is off to you girls that can, I have tried on several occaisions but didn't last more than a couple of minutes, :eek::eek: even the flashback gives me the "willies"!! :no: Isn't it crazy how some can do it effortlessly and others run shrieking from even the thought :lol::lol:

I do have a couple of pairs of those old nylon/spandex "biker shorts" things that I used to wear to the gym back in the 90's that I wear under dark breeches for schooling and they work great.
(I've never had any luck finding them in a "nude" color, hmmm...:lol:)

wabadou
Nov. 2, 2007, 08:22 PM

OMG!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:
A warning next time, please!!!

( A nice Merlot is not nearly so nice when inhaled and snorted back on the keyboard...:eek: !!)

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 2, 2007, 08:54 PM
Gosh, really, I am SO on board with both deltawave and wabadou...

(I am in reasonably good shape, ass-wise, but feel I am *WAY* too old to wear a thong :uhoh:...not to mention the uh, "ass flossing" discomfort factor...I'm one of those people who can't STAND it when my underwear rides up and gives me a wedgie! :lol:)

(Maybe, if the hubby asks REALLY nicely--and offers to clean my tack for the next 4 shows--I will consider wearing a thong...for a few minutes :p)

Perhaps I am simply "terminally oblivious", but I *really* just don't notice the dreaded VPL! Like Pied Piper, when at competitions, I am usually looking at the horse(s)--and/or noticing how the rider is RIDING said beast! :p

Horsepower
Nov. 2, 2007, 09:01 PM
Jockey makes a no line panty that is comfortable for riding. I also think it's funny that they say Jockey on them! They are great under all clothes! Check out Lord and Taylor online. They have them in different colors and different cuts. Take your choice!

IQ3day14
Nov. 2, 2007, 09:08 PM
I once wore a thong because of peer pressure. My horse has the worlds hardest trot to sit. Lets just say, I was flossed in places I never wanted to be flossed and could not sit for a week.

I recommend boy shorts.... The DON'T floss you

hey101
Nov. 3, 2007, 11:56 AM
thong all the way. I learned the hard way though not to wear anything other than plain cotton. Lace causes terrible rubs in terrible places! :lol: ;)

RunForIt
Nov. 3, 2007, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Lori B:

Nooooooo. Stop the insanity.

Don't we do sports of any kind to get out of the business of micro-freaking managing our appearance? (and if that's not a good reason, I don't know what is.)

You are riding a galloping horse at solid objects, and you are worried about your pantylines?

Thank you very much, Lori B! I do love being a woman, but truly, sometimes we are an odd lot...my biggest worries when riding in public again will be the same as always:

staying clean (somehow an impossibility for me)
getting my horse braided and tacked up
knowing my test or the course
completing said test or course successfully (THAT is left to be defined)
horse sound after each phase
cooler fun of post-ride fun:lol: :cool:

Trixie
Nov. 3, 2007, 03:26 PM
Evidently there was once a judge who would write VPL/No VPL on the score sheet...

Nevertheless, when showing I do a properly fitting (ie, not too small), thin g-string type thong. I also make sure my britches are NOT TOO TIGHT - which is half the battle. If your breeches are so tight that they've found places that no washcloth has ever been (thank you very much, ETBW, for THAT analogy), I don't care if you're wearing the flimsiest, teensiest thong in the whole world - it'll show.

So, I try to purchase most of my breeches a touch on the loose side so that this never happens. Otherwise, seamless microfiber panties are as close to not showing as a pair of full panties can be...

FWIW, I don't pull my horse's tails...

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 3, 2007, 10:12 PM
Thank you, RunForIt (and Lori B :yes:) for providing a voice of reason!! :D

criss
Nov. 4, 2007, 08:56 AM
I find that Land's End cotton hipsters have a thin enough elastic at the edge to cause a minimal bump, and any line you do get is at a reasonably flattering point in the cheek. Combined with big enough breeches, this is good enough for me to never worry about it. Anyone who is looking at my butt clearly needs a hobby. :lol:

I almost never notice VPL on another person. If I'm thinking about it for some reason (wondering if my own undies are working out OK, for instance...), I do notice that a lot of people have a faint line if you're looking, but if you're looking, then you're already thinking more about people's butts than is right and proper. :) There are certainly times when the bulge is so obvious it detracts from the polished look even if you're not specifically looking, and in those cases larger clothing or a pair of shorts might be in order, but really, if you're posting on this thread I doubt this is you.

And judges are people just like anyone else, and I'm sure sometimes they think about VPL. That said, I would hope part of their training includes learning to set aside personal stuff and judge the riding they see.

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 4, 2007, 09:43 PM
I find that Land's End cotton hipsters have a thin enough elastic at the edge to cause a minimal bump, and any line you do get is at a reasonably flattering point in the cheek. Combined with big enough breeches, this is good enough for me to never worry about it. Anyone who is looking at my butt clearly needs a hobby. :lol:

I almost never notice VPL on another person. If I'm thinking about it for some reason (wondering if my own undies are working out OK, for instance...), I do notice that a lot of people have a faint line if you're looking, but if you're looking, then you're already thinking more about people's butts than is right and proper. :) There are certainly times when the bulge is so obvious it detracts from the polished look even if you're not specifically looking, and in those cases larger clothing or a pair of shorts might be in order, but really, if you're posting on this thread I doubt this is you.

And judges are people just like anyone else, and I'm sure sometimes they think about VPL. That said, I would hope part of their training includes learning to set aside personal stuff and judge the riding they see.

:lol:

And touche'! ;)

CarolinaGirl
Nov. 4, 2007, 10:32 PM
For normal day to day riding I usually wear whatever I've been wearing that day (thong, boy shorts, briefs whatever). But for shows, under white pants, I usually stick to the nude colored thong. And generally I only wear those pairs at shows. As the word plain does not describe my underwear drawer at all!! But yes I've found that any other color will show under my white pants! Oh but never a thong for long slow distance days... ouch. Needless to say if I ever do a traditional three day I will have to reconsider the thong option I do believe.

ss3777
Nov. 5, 2007, 04:55 PM
True confession............I wear my husband's shrunken man shorts. Sad but true, does not cost me a penny. If I am really desperate, I don't even wait until they shrink :O

Would love to be able to wear a thong, tried more than once and failed.

JAC2
Nov. 5, 2007, 05:51 PM
I probably should worry about panty lines but I have a bigger problem - saddle sores. I don't know if it is because my butt is sagging or what but I have big scars at the point where the butt meets leg. It sort of comes and goes but it can be very painful.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, did you find some underwear that helped? I switched to VS's "Rio" brand that is high waisted. It works better for me than Jockey but still isn't perfect. I was wondering if a spandex model would be the ticket. Most brands tend to bunch and twist.

I'm so glad someone brought this topic up. If you can't ask your friends on the BB, where can you find this kind of information out.

Badger
Nov. 5, 2007, 06:03 PM
JAC2: That is a saddle fit problem. I have ridden in saddles that cause it, and others that don't. The cheap fix, much cheaper than a new saddle, is to wear padded bicycle shorts. They pad your seatbones.

I don't for the life of my know anybody can ride in a thong. Years ago, I rode a couple times in Underalls pantyhose under breeches, but if you get a bit sweaty and the back seam has it's way with you, you will be raw and blistered in a very unpleasant way.

I definitely agree with the poster who said not to go too tight with breeches as that's half the battle with panty lines. A good rule of thumb, in riding and in life: Just say NO to camel toe.