PDA

View Full Version : Marylanders LOOK OUT!!!!!

BridalBridle
Oct. 30, 2007, 06:07 PM
:cry:

Xctrygirl
Oct. 30, 2007, 06:12 PM
Thats funny because I read a lot on this special session and its going to be at racing locations.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/fn/5257144.html

The slot machine component calls for allowing slot machines in Anne Arundel, Cecil and Worcester counties, as well as the city of Baltimore and on state property at the Rocky Gap Lodge and Golf Resort near Cumberland.

The proposal would allow two horse racing tracks to have slot machines, including Ocean Downs Racetrack near Ocean City, and Magna Entertainment's Laurel Park in Laurel. The proposal also includes provisions to sweeten purses in races for horse owners in a nod to efforts to keep the Preakness Stakes _ the second leg of the Triple Crown _ in Baltimore. However, it doesn't call for placing slots at Baltimore's Pimlico Race Course, also a Magna venue.

House Speaker Michael Busch, who has opposed slots, has said he would support a referendum.

Honestly I think putting Slots in at Pimlico would be an enormous mistake. I agree with that they're trying to do.

~Emily

BridalBridle
Oct. 30, 2007, 06:20 PM
no::no::no::no:

Texarkana
Oct. 30, 2007, 06:37 PM
And you used the Houston Texas Chronicle as your source?:no::no::no::no:

No offense... but how is citing the Houston Texas Chronicle any less credible than believing the word of someone who posted an uncited call for action on a public bulletin board?

Can we get the whole story all the way around, please? Regardless, I am no longer a MD resident. But it would be nice to know exactly what we're dealing with here.

Xctrygirl
Oct. 30, 2007, 07:07 PM
Ok first off,

It's most correct when commenting on something when one is quoting sources, to identify the source you are quoting from. Be it a local paper, to a book, if it is not my words, then the Author and Source should be produced to give proper credit.

If I say
"The sky is falling!! The sky is FALLING!!" Then I must quickly identify the source -Chicken Little.

So I quoted the source I was referencing. I am so sorry that facts printed in Texas don't hold enough weight for you to believe that the same facts could be considered legitimate in Maryland.

Maybe I should only quote from Baghdad papers when discussing the war???? But that's another can of worms. Anyway back to Maryland.

I will provide the following (Maryland Only) sources for our thread readers:

1.) The Bills from the Maryland.Gov website:

http://mlis.state.md.us/2007s1/hearsch/Maryland_Education_Trust_Fund_-_Video_Lottery_Terminals.pdf

http://mlis.state.md.us/2007s1/hearsch/Video_Lottery_Terminals_-_Authorization_and_Limitations.pdf

2.) The Main Maryland 2007 Special Session Page:

http://mlis.state.md.us/2007s1/hearsch/sp_notice.htm

3.) A current article from the Baltimore Sun about rallying the horsemen to go to Annapolis to SUPPORT the newest Slots Bills/Referendums:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/horseracing/bal-sp.racing27oct27,0,4730413.story

4.) A press release from the Govenor's Office titled "Governor O’Malley Outlines Plan to Recapture Slots Revenue for Maryland"

http://www.gov.state.md.us/pressreleases/070925.html

And in the interest of presenting a fair picture of both sides..

5.) An op-ed blog posting from the "Pondering Pastor"
http://ponderingpastor.wordpress.com/2007/10/27/maryland-special-session-slots/

Now having given all of us a fair chance to make their own opinions, I will freely admit to desiring some form of Slots passage in my home state of Maryland. I would very much like to see the racing industry continue purposefully onwards. But moreover I would like to see the extra revenue for the educational community. Because I of course am an individual who values the horsey lifestyle. But for those who aren't I'd like to see the benefits go to our children and youth to enable them to have a better education so that the future leaders of our country/state/universe can achieve greater things and learn to believe that any challenge can be met and conquered. Something that seems to be a declining belief in our lives.

And thats my opinion.

Concerned Maryland Citizen,

Emily Daignault

Texarkana
Oct. 30, 2007, 07:37 PM
Thank you, Emily, for posting the information.

I wasn't knocking your citation, but rather questioning why the OP would have a problem with your source versus his/her unverified claims. :)

Now... I have some reading to do!

Laurierace
Oct. 30, 2007, 08:09 PM
I admit I am not real crazy about the slots bill but at this point we have to take what we can get. I don't like that they won't put slots in at Pimlico. That all but guarantees that Pimlico will close regardless of how much cash is flowing through the slots at Laurel. I can't fathom a way to hold the Preakness at Laurel in Pimlico's absence, so you can kiss that goodbye as well. But at least racing in MD would stand a chance, just not as we know it now.
BTW, I am going on Friday, what the heck!

Xctrygirl
Oct. 30, 2007, 08:24 PM
I am gonna try to go friday. Laurie were you there at the ones in 2004-2005?

And if so can you give me directions??

~Emily

Laurierace
Oct. 30, 2007, 08:29 PM
No this will be my first. Why don't you come to Pimlico and ride the bus with us? I can put you and anyone else that is interested on the list. They are giving out tshirts and hats and giving us a box lunch. Not real sure I am interested in eating anything provided by a race track, but they get an A for effort. We leave at 8:30 and are supposed to get back around 2.

Xctrygirl
Oct. 30, 2007, 08:31 PM
OK count me in. I'll meet you at your barn ??

Send me an IM and we'll plan ;)

~Em

doublete
Oct. 31, 2007, 12:16 AM
Ok, what is going on Friday?

I just moved down here, and was training in Boston, with a winter stint at Beulah (puke, gag). I'm not yet licensed down here, and kind of hoping to pay all my workman's comp, etc for the 2008 season, as at this point with only one horse (maybe two or three) that I'd be racing, it isn't worth spending all that money.

Laurierace
Oct. 31, 2007, 08:13 AM
Look at the announcement on the right side of the website, it has the information on there. I was trying to link to the actual document they sent out but couldn't find it. Let me know if that isn't enough information and I can answer any other questions you may have.

http://www.laurelpark.com/

caffeinated
Oct. 31, 2007, 09:53 AM
And you used the Houston Texas Chronicle as your source?:no::no::no::no:

actually, if you paid attention, you would realize that the Houston Texas Chronicle may have printed the story, but it was written by a writer from the Associated Press. AP covers stories all over the place and then papers from just about anywhere pick them up. It's like a wire service, a writer investigates something and writes a story, then puts it out, and if papers are interested or need to fill space, they pick it up and print it.

It wasn't written by some know-nothing down in texas, and you will likely find the same story printed in many papers, it's just that the Houston one popped up faster using google.

Acertainsmile
Oct. 31, 2007, 12:47 PM
I do remember a few yrs ago when we were going through this... the bill proposed was NOT in the best interest of horsemen in Md... the percentage of what would fuel the purse fund was extremely low, and wouldnt really have made a difference(in comparision to what W. VA, Delaware and Pennsylvania were getting)... I've read through some of the current proposed bills, and see nothing having to do with the tracks acutal cut on revenue from slots... wondering if I've missed it somewhere?

Xctrygirl
Oct. 31, 2007, 12:47 PM
Since I think she meant to put it in here too... let's just quote her from the other Md thread:

I'm amazed at reading all the threads on this. The politics of this issue seem to be misunderstood by the horse community. Driving down to Annapolis is only going to waste gas unless you have an appointment to see MIKE or MIKE. Call your delegate, senator or all of them Send them emails. And make sure that the slot money goes to the horses. That is not the way it's designed now. I hope it changes this week but I'm not hopeful. The impression is that the slot monies go, where the original bills from a few years ago, say the monies would have gone. NOT!!!
What MIKE AND MIKE want is slots in any bar, hen house, outhouse and whorehouse that will pay the license fee and they BOTH don't give a damn about your horses. I think it's a slow death for the racing in Maryland......just slow enough that the generations won't notice. Anyone want to bet on how long the Preakness is kept in the state of Maryland????
Good luck, God bless and enjoy Pa, WVa, and all the other states that have the savvy to make the slot money and give it to the people who earned it for their state in the first place.:cry::cry:

And now my comments... wow the idea that the buses we're mostly going to be on (which will save gas) are going to hold a demonstration in vain?!! Get out!

The thing about demonstrations are that they do not imply that either the governor or Lt Gov would be present to talk to us. BUT its the message that is sent by showing up as a group and demonstrating our support that could make a difference.

And just for my own sake, Hey BB, could you please use the links I gave and show us in the wording of the Bill where exactly it says that the revenue won't go to the horses??

Thanks again for your interest in Md racing.

~Emily

Acertainsmile
Oct. 31, 2007, 12:51 PM
Xctrygirl, just wanted to add, (in case you werent around) that these demonstrations in Annapolis have been going on for some years... agreed the show of support is important, but as of yet it hasnt done much good. This is not the first time that the busses have left from the tracks, with those "yummy" boxed lunches...

Xctrygirl
Oct. 31, 2007, 01:06 PM
Yep I knew they had. I was suppossed to go in 2004, but my plans changed.

And the buses comment was in response to the whole "save the gas" comments by BridleBridal.

Also I tend to disagree that not much progress has been made, since now even Michael Busch is starting to swing towards supporting at least a Slots referrendum on the ballot next year.

True if we have to wait a year for the election to vote, its possible that the Pa and WV folks could stir up some $$ for Anti Slot campaigning, but its still a better option than no slots ever.

~Emily

BridalBridle
Oct. 31, 2007, 05:07 PM
If the monitors want to change what was said and where, I gracefully bow out. Thank you and much luck.

Flash44
Oct. 31, 2007, 05:27 PM
We need more than luck!!

Laurierace
Nov. 1, 2007, 09:35 PM
Well shoot, I don't think I will be able to go tomorrow. I was out at the farm tonight in the pasture with my mare. She kept running back and forth in front of the gate where there are many rocks. I was afraid she would hurt herself by stepping on one of the rocks so I attempted to cut her off to make her turn and head up the hill instead and I guess I stepped on one of the rocks because I fell and broke my foot! I thought they were going to have to put me down out in the field at first. I will see how it feels in the morning but I can't fathom standing around on it for hours on end outside. Give them hell for me if I don't go, thanks!

Acertainsmile
Nov. 1, 2007, 11:10 PM
Jeez Laurie, you really broke your foot??? As in you have a cast on? That really stinks, and glad there wasnt a vet anywhere close with a big needle! Best wishes on healing quickly!

Laurierace
Nov. 2, 2007, 12:02 AM
No there is no cast, just an ace bandage and some weird shoe like thing along with crutches that I am nowhere near coordinated enough to use. I saw the xray, there is a chip on some bone I had never heard of on the side of my foot. My foot looks totally normal except for the one spot where there is a swelling that resembles half a tennis ball. I am supposed to go to an orthopedist for follow up. Oh well, better me than my mare.

Flash44
Nov. 4, 2007, 08:37 AM
Laurie, I hope you foot gets better!