PDA

View Full Version : Thats it! I'm going bareback.. Vent

Huntertwo
Oct. 30, 2007, 01:37 PM
Okay, so I got my Abetta Endurance saddle 16 inch, wide QH bars for my mutton withered POA.

I tried it out Sunday for a *little* while and loved it. Basically went up and down the driveway.

Today we went out for our first trail ride in it and my arse and thighs were killing me after 10 minutes. 1/2 way through the ride my feet were starting to tingle.
I was soooo sore I cut the trail ride after about 45 minutes..:no:

For some reason it tips me forward. I felt if she bucked, I would have been launched. Held my leg position nicely under me. Now what??? :confused:

I looked at the website I bought it on and noticed that some had 4 inch cantle and some had 5 inch cantle. Never even noticed that when I was ordering. Mines a 5 inch and that is what is pushing me forward???

I'm thinking of trying an English riser pad I have to lift the front a bit.

Just can't believe I never noticed the different cantle sizes. :mad: What a dope!

Could the higher cantle be the cause? Any opinions?

Thanks.. :(

Auventera Two
Oct. 30, 2007, 01:45 PM
I own two Abetta endurance saddles and have ridden in them exclusively for about 3 years now.

At FIRST when I bought my first one, I cut my first few rides short too because my butt and thighs were so painful I couldn't stand it. Honest to god - I had to get used to the saddle. At this point I love these saddles. If you're used to a leather saddle, switching to a synthetic is a whole different feel. If you wear the wrong pants, you get rubs too. I don't ever ride in jeans. That's a recipe for disaster. :eek: I ride in Irideon tights, or in loose fitting athletic cotton pants.

One of mine is covered in sheepskin, the other in a neoprene tush cushie deal. I also replaced my stirrup fenders with english leathers and aussie wide footbed irons.

If you're comfortable doing so, I would try to make some amendments to yours before throwing in the towel.

I didn't know there were different cantles. I don't know what mine is.

On my Ex-Wide treed Abetta, I do use a pommel lift - even on my mutton withered fattie. The tree is literally SO wide and SO flat that the pommel lift is mandatory.

Once I got everything just right, I can now ride all day and me and the horse both are4 comfortable.

sublimequine
Oct. 30, 2007, 01:50 PM
I don't think the cantle is going to make much of a difference, especially only a 1 inch difference.

Sounds too wide to me. :(

Huntertwo
Oct. 30, 2007, 01:53 PM
Thanks A2 - I wasn't getting rubs from my shorts, just my arse and legs were killing me. I never cut my rides short...:) So you know I was in pain.;)

What is a pommel lift? I do have the Ex-wide tree and just felt too much forward.

Where did you get the pommel lift? Thanks

Huntertwo
Oct. 30, 2007, 01:54 PM
Sounds too wide to me. :( My Arse? I agree...lol :)

jazzrider
Oct. 30, 2007, 02:23 PM
I don't think the different cantles would tip you forward (I would actually think it would do the opposite). Could it be that because the saddle is new, you had it positioned too far back? Or maybe it's just the difference between your old saddle and new saddle, and it will take a while to get used to it?

Before you try a riser pad, I would maybe give their customer service and talk to them about your concerns. They may have some tips or advice. :yes:

sublimequine
Oct. 30, 2007, 02:25 PM
My Arse? I agree...lol :)

No the saddle! :lol:

Usually you get that 'pitched forward' feeling when a saddle is too wide. I've had that feeling myself a few times. :yes:

Auventera Two
Oct. 30, 2007, 02:32 PM
I use a neoprene pommel riser that I bought at my local tack shop. I think it is Country Supply that has a fleece one for around $17 or something.

The feel of a synthetic saddle is much different than leather. Leather is smooth and you slide over it. Synthetics make you "stick" and that can cause soreness, rubs, or just plain muscle soreness if you're not used to it. I know it sounds terrible, but honestly, after about 3 rides that feeling went away for me.

Lifting the front of your saddle, if its too wide for your horse, will definitely help with your pitched forward feeling. I rode one time without my riser when I forgot it at home, and I wasn't comfortable. Neither was the horse. But the regular QH bars is too narrow, so I have to go with the X-wide, and then pad a little more.

dreamswept
Oct. 30, 2007, 02:37 PM
Hey A2, where'd you get the Aussie irons? I swapped my synthetic fenders for synthetic english leathers, but haven't replaced my stirrups yet. I think the wide trail stirrups just don't agree with that right ankle of mine because that's where it goes dead and numb -- but then again, they're polymer plastic and it probably is part of the reason.

I absolutely second getting a seat saver of some kind. I have a real nice and soft sheepskin cover on my Abetta saddle, and it helps a lot to keep my thighs and butt cushioned. Also seems to narrow up the twist a bit.

Auventera Two
Oct. 30, 2007, 02:45 PM
I bought mine at a local tack store. Sorry, I know that doesn't help you any. :( Some lady consigned her whole tack collection, and they just happened to be in there.

Bank of Dad
Oct. 30, 2007, 05:09 PM
AT, I know you love the saddle, but I hated mine. It threw my balance off, and put me in a bad position. I resold it on Ebay.

katarine
Oct. 30, 2007, 05:44 PM
the cantle height will only affect lower back support - it won't tip you.

I bet the saddle is too wide. Can you post some pics of it on the horse, ungirthed? With and w/o pad under it?

PS I HATE my Abetta endurance saddle. It fits nothing I own, well. :( JME.

Huntertwo
Oct. 30, 2007, 07:16 PM
the cantle height will only affect lower back support - it won't tip you.

I bet the saddle is too wide. Can you post some pics of it on the horse, ungirthed? With and w/o pad under it?

PS I HATE my Abetta endurance saddle. It fits nothing I own, well. :( JME.

The saddle seems to fit her fine as far as I can tell. She is pretty wide and the QH bars are too narrow for her, so I had to get the extra-wide.

I'm embarrassed to say that I don't even own a camera:o...lol I usually buy the Kodak throw aways.

I think what A2 said possibly could be the reason - I'm used to a leather saddle and *sliding* along with the movement. As where the synthetic holds you pretty well.

Thanks guys for all the opinions. Its much appreciated.

Huntertwo
Oct. 30, 2007, 07:29 PM
http://www.horse.com/products/gift-0__sku-WIE20.html

cowboymom
Oct. 31, 2007, 10:17 AM
I think I rode that endurance saddle of Kat's for a few miles (am I right?)

It killed me, granted I rode it with the stirrups too long so didn't use them at all but OMG I thought my hips were being dislocated from my body. Scares me away from any Abettas even though I'd love to buy a wide one for my chronically hard to fit horse. It really really hurt.

I'm so sick of saddle fitting that I'm getting a treeless in the spring...

Auventera Two
Oct. 31, 2007, 12:33 PM
Hmmm. That's too bad to read so many negative comments about the Abettas. My good friend and riding buddy swears by her Abetta, and is looking to purchase another one. Matryoshka that posts here, rides in one and likes it. As with anything, some things work for some people, and not for others. :(

I can definitely vouch for the fact that if you're not used to the cordura, it's a big shock. With that material, you just don't surf around much like you do with leather. Adding a cover to the saddle changes the dynamics quite a bit.

My other riding buddy rides my QH mare with my Abetta, and she is very comfortable. She loves the saddle, and the horse, and never has complaints. I know that she rides in padded breeches, if that makes any difference??

Auventera Two
Oct. 31, 2007, 12:34 PM
http://www.horse.com/products/gift-0__sku-WIE20.html

Yes, that's the one!

Huntertwo
Oct. 31, 2007, 01:53 PM
Hmmm. That's too bad to read so many negative comments about the Abettas. My good friend and riding buddy swears by her Abetta, and is looking to purchase another one. Matryoshka that posts here, rides in one and likes it. As with anything, some things work for some people, and not for others. :(

I can definitely vouch for the fact that if you're not used to the cordura, it's a big shock. With that material, you just don't surf around much like you do with leather. Adding a cover to the saddle changes the dynamics quite a bit.

My other riding buddy rides my QH mare with my Abetta, and she is very comfortable. She loves the saddle, and the horse, and never has complaints. I know that she rides in padded breeches, if that makes any difference??

Much better ride today. :yes: Definitely needed a lift in the pommel. I had a full English lift pad from years ago. So, I just turned it around so the lift that would normally go under the cantle of an English saddle was under my pommel. Worked perfectly and my saddle covered it nicely.

Big big difference...thanks!

Auventera Two
Nov. 1, 2007, 09:15 PM
Oh good, I'm so glad! That lift is a MUST for me. That tree is so wide and flat, that I think it would be too wide for even the fattest Hafflinger on the planet! :eek::lol: