PDA

View Full Version : Western Saddle Pad Advice

jazzrider
Oct. 29, 2007, 12:34 PM
I'm thinking about getting a new western saddle pad, for my high withered, new gaited horse. I'm thinking about getting one with a cut out for his withers. Also, saddles have a tendency to slip back on him (we use a breast collar for long rides or if we're doing hills). Does anyone have any advice on pads I should look at? I'm really just a casual western rider (usually ride dressage), so I don't really know the brands or models...Thanks!

Huntertwo
Oct. 29, 2007, 05:47 PM
I like Professional Choice. But there are so many other brands out there hopefully others can offer more suggestions.

Does your saddle have a full or rounded skirt?

I just bought an Abetta rounded skirt saddle and my Skito pad fits wonderfully under it. www.sportsaddle.com (http://www.sportsaddle.com) You can get an idea what they look like on this site.

Edited to add: Are you using a Gaited Horse saddle on him?

katarine
Oct. 29, 2007, 07:10 PM
I love my air ride pad, it was pricey but I love that pad.

http://www.profchoice.com/htmldocs/prd/western/prd/arsp.html

Sithly
Oct. 29, 2007, 07:13 PM
I am a traditionalist when it comes to saddle pads. I swear by 1" wool felt.

saddleup
Oct. 29, 2007, 07:27 PM
I use the Professionals Choice SMX Air-Ride pad on my super thin skinned gelding, and it works great for him. I used a thick wool felt pad at first, and he got a bad rub on our first long trail ride. Switched to the SMX and no further problems.

jazzrider
Oct. 29, 2007, 07:33 PM
Katarine -- The link you gave is actually the pad I'm thinking of getting, but thought I would check in here before I did. I found it on closeout on one site for $99 if I'm willing to take a funky color.

Huntertwo -- Right now I'm riding in a Circle Y round skirt saddle (non-flex, medium tree), but may be switching to a Tucker in the near future. So I'm looking for a round skirt pad, for clearance sake. I also like Professional choice, hence the reason I'm eyeing the orthopad. Since my boy is high withered and a bit thin at the moment, and the saddle tends to slip back, I like the extra padding.

Sithly, I tried my hubby's wool felt pad on him, and I don't think it worked for us. I do think he needs a cut back style. I should really take a picture of his withers!

(as an aside, if anyone remembers my hunt for a saddle for this guy, I ended up buying a used Keifer Wein for bumming around and schooling. He loves it, I love it, but for long trail rides I still prefer a western style.)

katarine
Oct. 29, 2007, 09:35 PM
Jazz I've logged a ton of miles on that pad. I use a pad liner under it (the Dixie Midnight one, FYI) to keep it clean and dry. It has a channel down the spine that's thinner to alleviate pressure there, and the cushy shoulders make a world of difference on my funky built QH and my still growing TWH. Love it. Tough, too, very well made. I think I've had mine 2, maybe 3 years? and I ride a lot.

I also love wool navajo pads but for these two horses I needed that filling behind the shoulders. I also like the 1" wool pads, too- very good pads.

Austin Rider
Oct. 29, 2007, 10:14 PM
I am a traditionalist when it comes to saddle pads. I swear by 1" wool felt.

Another vote for wool felt.

jazzrider
Oct. 30, 2007, 01:27 PM
I gave some thought to buying a wool pad with a cut out for his withers (which my husband's wool pad didn't have), but in the end decided to go with this the Professional Choice pad since I found it on closeout in cranberry for $89.99. Cranberry looks to me like it's a light burgandy -- that's gotta be better than lime colored, and I saved $30-40. :D

Thanks for helping me think it through! We'll see if this makes my Circle Y work a bit better for him. :yes:

LisaW-B
Oct. 30, 2007, 03:59 PM
The Reinsman Tacky Too pads are also really nice, and they make one for higher withers.

CurlyLindsay
Oct. 30, 2007, 04:03 PM
A thinline junky checking in. :D I couldn't find just the right cut of thinline for my saddle so I bought their square western pad and cut it to size. You could cut out just the right size cutback.

jazzrider
Nov. 2, 2007, 05:03 PM
Shoot. I was hoping to get the new pad today and try it out this weekend on trail and report back. But the UPS man did not visit my house today. :(

I comforted myself by swinging by Dover and buying a new helmet (the Troxel Sierra in black!) :D

Cashela
Nov. 4, 2007, 05:27 PM
Make sure that the Tucker really fits, I know it doesn't fit some gaited horses well. If you are on the search for a saddle, check out Alleghany Mountain Trail Saddles or Crest Ridge Saddles, I have heard great things about both. I want the AMTS Wade saddle but do not have the money. I am currently talking with Debra at Crest Ridge because I am having issues with my mare and the Abetta saddle that I am using. I am thinking of buying a Synthetic saddle from her. She is great, really knows her stuff.

Good Luck! Oh and make sure you are putting your saddle far enough back off of your horses shoulders. I just learned that I was putting mine to far forward.

katarine
Nov. 4, 2007, 08:24 PM
...and the Crest Ridge I JUST sold to my student didn't fit either of MY gaited horses, but fits my student's horse (SSH) like a charm. With any saddle, proceed with caution and great skepticism ;) and don't get a Crest Ridge in black -please. I bought ours used off ebay and that sucker bleeds black on everything ;)

The Tucker meanwhile, fits one beautifully, the other, notsomuch :)

jazzrider
Nov. 5, 2007, 10:43 AM
I'm definately not getting my boy a new saddle without trying it first, and getting a few opinions on fit. He's been ridden for too long in poor fitting saddles -- I promised him we'd find one that works for him. I really like the Tuckers and want to try them first. I have heard, however, that there is a chance that they won't work for him. I'm crossing my fingers though. I'll look into Crestridge too -- although I'm bummed to hear about the black leather, since that's his color.

Oh and make sure you are putting your saddle far enough back off of your horses shoulders. I just learned that I was putting mine to far forward.

Funny --- I always feel like I'm putting mine too far back, and I scoot it forward. This new horse is so different from my others, I need to find someone local who knows TWHs and his build, and give me some advice. I am happy to say that he's had no back soreness from our riding, so the new Kieffer and my Circle Y (well padded) have been working for him.

Katarine -- Tell me again what model Tucker you have?