PDA

View Full Version : Short list for KHP?

ASB Stars
Oct. 28, 2007, 09:54 AM
With the passing of George Washington :cry:, who I was thinking, would have been a wonderful addition to the Hall of Champions at KHP :yes:, I started wondering who they WILL get to take John Henry's stall- but certainly NOT his place.

Any thoughts?

Glimmerglass
Oct. 28, 2007, 10:02 AM
Not to be critical but why would've an Irish-bred and raced horse who only ran in the US twice (that is assuming he didn't perish) ever have been under consideration for the Horse Park?

I'm sure they've lobbied for Funny Cide to come there but that likely would only occur after his usefulness as a stable pony ends. Right now he is very happy doing his job as exercise horse, lead pony, and all around stable pony for Tagg and Robin. Who knows maybe when he's more like 15 they'll send him down there.

Since the Hall is not just TB race horses you very well could see a standardbred trotter or a quarter horse take his stall.

ASB Stars
Oct. 28, 2007, 10:06 AM
The Park does feature horses from other countries- although, I agree that I can't recall a foreign bred horse gracing the Hall of Champions.

Maybe they'll find another American Saddlebred :winkgrin:

grits
Oct. 28, 2007, 10:15 AM
I had a conversation with the HOC folks about whether Funny Cide was a prospect when I was there last year. They said there had been some "overtures" about bringing him to the Park, but the staff, at least, seemed a little dubious about his credentials. I wonder if The Tin Man might also be a horse to consider. Personally, I'd love to see both of them there some day.

dressagetraks
Oct. 28, 2007, 02:51 PM
Maybe Lava Man someday? The Tin Man is good, too.

Have to stop in and see Cigar next time I'm through Kentucky. I've been to the KHP a few times, saw John Henry, but Cigar wasn't there yet. I think Cigar was a wonderful addition for them, although know it wasn't the preferred outcome of breeders. :D

Maybe in 2010 for the WEG.

InVA
Oct. 29, 2007, 02:45 PM
Funny Cide! perfect!

Texarkana
Oct. 29, 2007, 03:03 PM
I had a conversation with the HOC folks about whether Funny Cide was a prospect when I was there last year. They said there had been some "overtures" about bringing him to the Park, but the staff, at least, seemed a little dubious about his credentials. I wonder if The Tin Man might also be a horse to consider. Personally, I'd love to see both of them there some day.

I don't see how they could have doubts about his credentials. :confused:

Is over $3M in earnings, being the first NY-bred to win the derby, one of the few geldings to win the derby, just missing the TC, and racing in stakes company until the age of 7 not good enough for them? Heck, how many horses do you know that have had ice cream flavors named after them? That alone should put him in strong consideration. :lol:

I'm not attacking you, I'm just surprised there would be anyone questioning whether or not he belongs there. I think he would be much more likely to draw crowds than The Tin Man or Lava Man, who both deserve to be there, but aren't nearly as recognizable to the general public as FC.

I personally think McDynamo would make a lovely addition when he's done racing and would add a little variety. Of course he's not nearly as recognizable to the general public either.

Glimmerglass
Oct. 29, 2007, 03:31 PM
Agreed the credentials aspect is a tad humorous, isn't it? Funny Cide's name is known by more Americans then 99.99% of all the TBs who have run in the last decade. It is a quirky unique name that while folks may have forgotten all the big races he won or lost few would not "get it" if he was parked there in the row of Champions.

A couple of books about him, an ice cream flavor, a beer, other consumer products, a Visa ad, a well attended retirement party and a "day at Saratoga", most likely a future stakes race in his name, etc.

Good or bad, you could take every champion Quarter Horse and Saddlebred going back to Thomas Jefferson, heck even toss in there every showjumper, dressage horse, and eventer by name and not one would yield a name as well known by as large of an audience as Funny Cide.

Agree the Hall is not as per say a popularity contest with a flavor of the week type viewpoint. Yet keep this in mind 12,000 people showed up to see him in his last race in the rain and mud at a track that even fewer people could point to on a map .. that says something.

I personally think even Kentucky may be a bit too cold for Funny however - he likes very much his winters with Tagg & Co. in Florida.

Barnfairy
Oct. 29, 2007, 03:54 PM
War Emblem.

Renae
Oct. 29, 2007, 04:36 PM
Good or bad, you could take every champion Quarter Horse and Saddlebred going back to Thomas Jefferson, heck even toss in there every showjumper, dressage horse, and eventer by name and not one would yield a name as well known by as large of an audience as Funny Cide.

I think your view point is a little skewed. I'm sure the name Wild Eyed and Wicked is known to as many Americans as Funny Cide. And in the hey day of the American horse show era, the late 18th-early 20th century there wasn't hardly a bigger horse name in the country than Rex McDonald (probably the only bigger ones was the Standardbred Dan Patch). Gem Twist and Roemer are also names most anyone who hs had even a passing interest in horses would reckognize. Theodore O'Conner is gathering quite a following :)

It would be beautiful to see the now retired Saddlebred Fine Harness horse CH Callaway's Copyright enjoying the Horse Park. Copyright has 6 World's Grand Championships to his credit, which is more than any other horse has earned in the Fine Harness division and on par with the record of the great Five Gaited horses CH Wing Commander and CH My-My.

Glimmerglass
Oct. 29, 2007, 04:52 PM
I think your view point is a little skewed. I'm sure the name Wild Eyed and Wicked is known to as many Americans as Funny Cide.

I'd wager my life that such a claim isn't true.

Just one example ...

Funny Cide gives ratings a ride

COPYRIGHT 2003 The Philadelphia Inquirer
By Ron Reid

PHILADELPHIA _ Funny Cide's gutsy but failed attempt Saturday to become the first Triple Crown winner in 25 years produced the highest overnight ratings for any horse race since the 1990 Kentucky Derby.

Nielsen Media Research reported a 10.4 rating for the NBC Sports telecast of the 135th Belmont Stakes, a 13 percent improvement over the 9.2 rating of last year, when War Emblem similarly fell short.

The 1990 Derby, won by Unbridled, generated an 11.3 overnight rating. Each overnight ratings point represents 717,310 households.

NBC Sports deserved those high marks for what was an extraordinary presentation of the most compelling horse-racing story since Seabiscuit.

American households tuned into just his Belmont run: 7,460,024; actual viewers per household can multiply that by as much a 3 times so over 22 million people at one-time saw the NBC prelude to Funny Cide's historic run. I'm sure his name was cited over a 100 times during the 1 hour telecast and then of course the focus on him during the 11 o'clock news sports segment, et al.

I just don't see how even 1/5 as many people knowing who WE&W was

Rolex 3-Day is covered on TV but in the last three airings is hasn't broke a 1.1 rating and slid back to 0.9 this year.

Barnfairy
Oct. 29, 2007, 05:09 PM
Moot point anyway, since FC has a job, and sadly WE&W suffered a gruesome end -- perhaps the only reason some folks know of him at all.

War Emblem did not have as large a following as FC, but I don't think WE's job security is as good. Plus the folks at the HOC are experienced with recalcitrant temperaments.

grits
Oct. 29, 2007, 06:56 PM
Just for the record, I did express my amazement that they would hesitate to bring Funny Cide to the HOC. Also, although the staff's reservations about having FC at HOC were clear, their reasons were not. One of them told me that they were trying to evaluate whether FC's stature in racing was sufficient. But it's always possible that the cautiousness I saw was motivated by secrecy or negotiations or something else. I don't want to interpret it definitively.

McDynamo would be a terrific choice, too! And, personally, I'd travel to Shadai just to see War Emblem, but I would be thrilled by any news of his return to Kentucky.