PDA

View Full Version : WOOOOHOOOO! CURLIN!!!

Pages : [1] 2

Kenike
Oct. 27, 2007, 06:47 PM
Wow, what a race!!! Congrats to Curlin!! (I just love this horse :D )

Drvmb1ggl3
Oct. 27, 2007, 06:51 PM
Horse of the year, no argument.

Fair play to Hard Spun for hanging on. Not a true 10f horse, but a game runner that's always in the mix.

The big winner today.... SMART STRIKE... I think his stud fee will go through the roof. The winner of the Turf AND the Classic.

texang73
Oct. 27, 2007, 06:54 PM
NICE race by Curlin! :yes:

A very deep, talented field with a sloppy track... Well ridden and very well run. I predicted to my friends that he'd win... just wish I'd bet some $ :cool:

Glimmerglass
Oct. 27, 2007, 06:58 PM
Amazing that Awsome Gen got up for 3rd.

Pino on Hard Spun just didn't see Curlin until it was too late to go to the whip and ask for a final drive. He was caught napping in the lead.

I'll tip my hat to Curlin on the victory although I can't stand any of his owners whatsoever.

Kenike
Oct. 27, 2007, 07:00 PM
Oh, I can't stand the owners, either, but I do love the horse. And he's who I'm cheering for, anyway. Sometimes I cheer for the horse and owners, but not with this guy...it's all for Curlin.

dressagetraks
Oct. 27, 2007, 07:04 PM
So who picked up the trophy? Aren't his owners in jail?

shawneeAcres
Oct. 27, 2007, 07:04 PM
Wow that horse won decisively and in a horrible sloopy track to boot! Don't know a thing about his owners, but he seemed like the gamest horse today!

harvestmoon
Oct. 27, 2007, 07:05 PM
I didn't think ALL of his owners were in prison? Anyway, GO CURLIN! :)

pinkdiamondracing
It broke my heart when Robby had to ride Curlin in the Belmont instead of Tizzy and so I have had to root for him since-- besides Robby is a great friend of mine having ponied him for so many years in Kentucky at Keeneland and Churchill WHOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOO ROBBY BABY!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D

Kenike
the wife of one who has his butt in jail, and I'm not sure who the other guy was, but I also wasn't paying attention to catch names (only caught a glimpse of the face)

Glimmerglass
Oct. 27, 2007, 07:06 PM
Tis a shame his 20% owners couldn't get to see the victory. Maybe they'll get an extra dessert tonight at the county jail? ;)

Most certainly now that stake with be afixed as a key asset in the $60M payout demands of the class action victims.

Glimmerglass
Oct. 27, 2007, 07:08 PM
I didn't think ALL of his owners were in prison? Anyway, GO CURLIN! :)

Nope 80% is held by a group lead by whine barron Jess Jackson. The man who seems to have sued everyone and anyone connected to selling him anything related to his equine empire. There is a key reason I don't buy any of that comany's products ;)

DLee
Oct. 27, 2007, 07:11 PM
Huge Curlin fan... it was fabulous to see him get some respect. So tragic for George Washington :( , I don't even know what to say.
Kudos for them mentioning Helen Pitts.

summerhorse
Oct. 27, 2007, 07:11 PM

Fair play to Hard Spun for hanging on. Not a true 10f horse, but a game runner that's always in the mix.

The big winner today.... SMART STRIKE... I think his stud fee will go through the roof. The winner of the Turf AND the Classic.

Smart Strike's fee doubled. $150,000 for 2008.

Kenike
Oct. 27, 2007, 07:13 PM
wow, that was fast :lol:

Still seems like a steal, though, compared to some of the other race sire fees

pinkdiamondracing
Oct. 27, 2007, 07:14 PM
ROFLMAO @ whine barron good one glimmer-- you are soooo right Jess Jackson has got to be the biggest crybaby in the horse business-- so you got fleeced-- like the saying goes-- once bitten, anyone's fault-- twice bitten, your own darn fault--pick better people to associate with, but suing is not necessary- contrary to what our society seems to think

Glimmerglass
Oct. 27, 2007, 07:16 PM
The time for 1 1/4 mi on a sloppy track was impressive: 2:00 flat is what I saw on ESPN. Not that if it was a fast track it would be much faster. The winner of the first race of the day won from gate to wire in some of the fastest early fractions I've ever seen.

texang73
Oct. 27, 2007, 07:30 PM
I'll tip my hat to Curlin on the victory although I can't stand any of his owners whatsoever.

Agreed! :no:

miss_critic
Oct. 27, 2007, 09:04 PM
It was highly classy for them to mention Helen Pitts a couple of times. But I just don't like the connections.

I wasn't all that suprised with Awesome Gem. He seems like the kind of horse that tries every time, just never good enough. I am hoping to hear SS just didn't handle the track as well as he could have... but Hard Spun, I said it on the other thread-I am just so proud of him.

The stud fee for Smart Strike has been set for 2008-and it doubled from 2007. It reminds me of the day Awesome Again had at the breeders cup at Lonestar.

InVA
Oct. 29, 2007, 12:16 PM

Thank you for giving Kudos to Hard Spun. I've been saying all weekend how I don't think he gets the respect he deserves. I thought it was quite a feat to stay out front for the entire race, in THAT field of horses, and to only get beaten by one. Go Hard Spun!

that said, Curlin rocked!

ravenclaw
Oct. 29, 2007, 03:45 PM
I love Hard Spun, too. He always runs his heart out and is so consistent. I think 1 1/4 miles is a little too long for him, but whatever. He's done racing now.

Most of the time, I can separate Curlin from his owners. I like his trainer, so I try to think of him as being Steve's horse instead of being owned by that unsavory lot. :winkgrin:

I'm sure Curlin's value went way up on Saturday. It would be sad (and ironic) if he gets retired now because of his win. It was a great win, but I probably would have preferred him to lose if it meant he would keep racing next year.

Glimmerglass
Oct. 29, 2007, 04:14 PM
I'm sure Curlin's value went way up on Saturday. It would be sad (and ironic) if he gets retired now because of his win.

My view is that Jess Jackson (http://www.forbes.com/lists/2007/54/richlist07_Jess-Jackson_WWF6.html) holds 30% of Curlin yet by way of the structuring actually has the majority control. So if he really is committed to the sport and the promotion of it you'd think he would keep the horse running. The money (at stud) shouldn't mean a thing to him plus he'd only retire to Jacksons own stables anyhow - no further selling of his breeding rights.

The only reason Penny Chenery didn't see Secretariat run at 4-yrs old was due to financial obligations on her father's estate. A huge disservice to all was the removal of him from the track at what could've been only the start of his popularity and success.

Why can't the lessons of history be spoken loud and clear: no top notch US runner in my lifetime has produced at equal or better horse at stud. Period. None. No Affirmed, Alydar, Spectacualr Bid, Secretariat, Dr. Fager, Damascus, et al. (Not that he is in that super league today) I say keep him running and see what he can do at 4. Take the glory from that and don't salivate over what you might produce mixing him with select mares.

If the lawsuits against the minor owners (20%) results in forcing their stake to be sold, then so be it. Jackson has enough to buy out that share under private treaty without blinking an eye.

Glimmerglass
Oct. 29, 2007, 04:49 PM
Ooops after I posted the above I ran across the Bill Finley article of today from ESPN "Breeders' Cup winners soon to be breeding" (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/breederscup07/columns/story?columnist=finley_bill&id=3084616) which says the same things.

As big as the windfall will be when Curlin goes to stud, these men obviously don't need the money. Why wouldn't they choose the thrill of owning a horse who could potentially go down as one of the all-time greats over a few more million dollars?

Curlin is just now starting to get good. He was a late-bloomer who did not start as a 2-year-old. He overcame a major obstacle, his inexperience, to win the Preakness and didn't really blossom until the Classic. As good as he was as a 3-year-old, he would be better next year.

"With Robby (Albarado) on board and Steve (Asmussen) training, I'm sure that we can prove that he's one of the best in the last century or half century," Jackson said, mulling what Curlin could prove on the racetrack next year.

Then why not give him the chance?

Also

"You don't understand people like this," a prominent bloodstock advisor told me. "Who has the biggest pile of money? That's how they keep score. They don't care about trophies."

That's too bad. This game used to be filled with great sportsman, people who loved the sport more than they loved their investment portfolios. With the exception of the Phipps family, they're all gone.

Heck I'd think winning HOY at 4-yr old after just maybe taking the same wins Invasor did plus the Whitney Handicap, Jockey Club Gold Cup again and Breeders Cup' 2008 would beat any pile of money any day. Plus its not like Curlin would be infertile for having run 1 more year, or is that how some dolts think happens? :D

I will correct Bill in one remark: let it not go without note that one of the leading persons who bought up Secretariat's breeding rights and thus forced him into retirement was one of the most respected sportsmen - Paul Mellon.

Glimmerglass
Oct. 29, 2007, 10:57 PM
Courier-Journal 10-29-07 "Curlin's future to be decided soon" (http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071029/SPORTS0802/710290516)

Trainer Steve Asmussen said yesterday that discussions will begin "in the next day or two" whether Breeders' Cup Classic winner Curlin will be retired to stud or stay in training next year.

miss_critic
Oct. 29, 2007, 11:37 PM
Regarding Hard Spun not being a 1 1/4 mile horse...yeah, he is what?...like only the 2nd best? I used to think the same thing, but think about it! What other horse ran second in the biggest 1 1/4 races? Who? Hard Spun? :) Doesn't sound too shabby to me!

Yeah, maybe he could have been the next Lure at a mile on turf, but I think that awesome horse (and Larry) showed us ALL what he really can do!

For those of you interested in horses that performed at or under thier abilities, see:
http://cristblog.drf.com/crist/

DLee
Oct. 30, 2007, 10:16 AM
[QUOTE]

Heck I'd think winning HOY at 4-yr old after just maybe taking the same wins Invasor did plus the Whitney Handicap, Jockey Club Gold Cup again and Breeders Cup' 2008 would beat any pile of money any day. Plus its not like Curlin would be infertile for having run 1 more year, or is that how some dolts think happens? :D
QUOTE]

He might not be infertile, but he could feasibly be dead. Just saying, as per GW, there is that risk any time he steps on a track, race or workout. Any time. I would think that's where they have to seriously weigh the risks.

I'm a huge Curlin fan, was thrilled to see him at Keeneland, on the track in the morning, and in his stall, and to see him win Saturday. Maybe he would do great things next year and be safe... maybe not.

Texarkana
Oct. 30, 2007, 10:53 AM
Regarding Hard Spun not being a 1 1/4 mile horse...yeah, he is what?...like only the 2nd best? I used to think the same thing, but think about it! What other horse ran second in the biggest 1 1/4 races? Who? Hard Spun? :) Doesn't sound too shabby to me!

Yeah, maybe he could have been the next Lure at a mile on turf, but I think that awesome horse (and Larry) showed us ALL what he really can do!

For those of you interested in horses that performed at or under thier abilities, see:
http://cristblog.drf.com/crist/

I think I agree with both points here. Yes, Hard Spun would have blown the competition away as a miler, but how many milers have there been that can still finish on the board at the classic distances?? Plus, I can think of a few horses that would be considered "true" 10F horses that have finished behind Hard Spun at that distance (*cough cough Street Sense cough).

Each time Hard Spun ran, he impressed me more. It's a shame he wasn't the first under the wire each time, but he was always right there. The horse won at 6, 7, 8, and 9 furlongs in his career and finished 2nd in the biggest 10 furlong races. You don't see too many horses who can do that.

But this thread is supposed to be about Curlin. I'd just rather talk about Hard Spun. ;)

Hey miss_critic-- thanks for the link on the speed figures! It's really interesting to see that the slop didn't really affect any of the winners except the sprinters. Hmmm...

Glimmerglass
Oct. 30, 2007, 12:22 PM
He might not be infertile, but he could feasibly be dead. Just saying, as per GW, there is that risk any time he steps on a track, race or workout. Any time. I would think that's where they have to seriously weigh the risks.

If that is truly a concern - him breaking down - then I'd say this to his owners: get out of the business. A stable cannot effectively be run if that is a factor, of any significance, in their minds. Sure waaaaaaay back in the recesses of their minds before the opening of the gates they may for a moment think "what if" but that should never ever be a leading thought.

Having a stable of race horses in training or even broadmares and studs means what - that they'll be raising horses to play bowling or hopscotch? The name of the game is racing. If there are concerns about footing - then scratch. Fears about a sore leg - then scratch.

There is no excuse to retire a healthy horse who hasn't yet reach his or her maximum potential. Yes, George Washington broke down. Then again the legendary polo pony of Averell Harriman, sadly tagged with a name out of sync with today of "Gay Boy" was crushed to death by a falling airplane (http://www.saratogapolo.com/polomuseum/inductees.htm) while standing in his stall at Meadow Brook Club.

Said William Averell Harriman, financier, owner of the two ponies: (http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,787303,00.html) "They were two of the best polo ponies in the world. I raised them from colts. They were priceless." Time Jun. 18, 1928

DLee
Oct. 30, 2007, 06:07 PM
Glimmerglass,
The risk of losing Curlin now is a far greater loss financially, obviously, then when he first raced in early '07. It should definitely be a 'factor of significance'.

Texarkana
Oct. 30, 2007, 06:26 PM
Glimmerglass,
The risk of losing Curlin now is a far greater loss financially, obviously, then when he first raced in early '07. It should definitely be a 'factor of significance'.

Whatever happend to love of the game? His major shareholder has a net worth over $2 billion. I don't think the financial loss would put him in the poor house. Heck, the shareholders sitting in jail sure don't have a lot to lose!

Really, how many fatal breakdowns in G1 horses have you seen in the last 50 years? We've had a run of bad luck recently, and I don't think you can blame it on anything but that. Three years ago, with Ruffian only a faint memory, I guarantee no one would have been talking like this.

DLee
Oct. 30, 2007, 09:26 PM
Maybe I should have said "would be a factor" rather than "should". I'd be very surprised if they decided to risk him in another season of racing.

I see the fees are out, Street Sense is $75,000, Hard Spun is $50,000.

miss_critic
Oct. 30, 2007, 09:30 PM
thanks for the link on the speed figures! It's really interesting to see that the slop didn't really affect any of the winners except the sprinters. Hmmm...

As weak as an arguement as it might be, SS is in the red ;)

miss_critic
Nov. 2, 2007, 08:20 AM
Judge Rules Interest In Curlin Turned Over to Plaintiffs
http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=41822

This doesn't look good (in terms of Curlin running next year).

DLee
Nov. 2, 2007, 10:15 AM
What a huge, huge mess. :(:no:

Glimmerglass
Nov. 2, 2007, 10:43 AM
I for one fully expected their 20% stake to be seized as they owe in excesss of $45 million and seemingly don't have the money - or won't give up any details on where their looted funds went. There is a reason why those two have been sitting in a jail for over two months. It's more of a shame (for racing fans) that Jackson and his partners didn't fully buy them out as opposed to rolling the dice and seeing what came from their legal issues.

Glimmerglass
Nov. 2, 2007, 11:07 AM
A classic example of how one of the said and since disbarred lawyers operated, Source: Associated Press Oct 31, 2007 (http://www.kentucky.com/news/state/story/217253.html):

Federal prosecutors said they may use evidence that attorney Shirley Cunningham Jr. used money taken from clients to endow the [$1M Florida A&M law school] chair, which is the subject of a separate investigation.

Cunningham gave the money to Florida A&M in January 2002 with the condition that the school grant him the position at a $100,000-a-year salary. The school fired Cunningham in 2005 after interim FAMU president Castell Bryant said there was no evidence Cunningham had done any work at the law school.

To keep the names straight, Cunningham is Charles Curlin's great grandson

From the TB Times of Nov 1, 2007 (http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/national-news/2007/November/01/Judge-rules-Phen-fen-complainants-own-Curlin-interest.aspx):

From the attorney, Angela Ford, representing the 418 members of the phen-fen class action suit who now own 20% of Curlin:

“This is potentially huge because Curlin is an extremely valuable asset,” Ford said Thursday night. “I haven’t had direct conversations with all the owners, but … we’re interested in collecting and liquidating assets, so we are in favor of selling Curlin.”

However as minority holders of the horse, even if they sold off their 20% stake to the highest bidder that doesn't necessarily mean the new owner could dictate anything in regards to next steps with his racing or going to stud.

Lawyer Ron is a perfect example of that whereby he's continued to race despite different ownership stakes in him with different agendas.

Texarkana
Nov. 2, 2007, 12:25 PM
I am still confused as to why one of the other stake holders can't just buy out Midnight Cry's 20%, or why they couldn't just sell their 20% to the highest bidder and carry on racing... unless of course the other owners don't want to do that.

What a PITA...

ravenclaw
Nov. 2, 2007, 12:45 PM
I am still confused as to why one of the other stake holders can't just buy out Midnight Cry's 20%, or why they couldn't just sell their 20% to the highest bidder and carry on racing... unless of course the other owners don't want to do that.
I am wondering the same thing. I'm sure it would have been cheaper and easier for Jess Jackson and George Bolton to buy out the other owners earlier. But I don't see why it couldn't be done now unless there is some legal red tape because of the judge's ruling.

Doesn't Jess Jackson have the controlling interest?

This whole thing is so sleazy. It's sad that Curlin's success has been tarnished because of this mess with his owners. :no:

Glimmerglass
Nov. 2, 2007, 01:13 PM

I'm Jackson/Bolton/Sanan could buy out the other 20% from the plantiffs however the issue now becomes price. Let's for the sake of guessing that he could be syndicated for breeding at $40 million. That means the 20% stake is worth $8M and I just don't see that partnership putting up that money to own 100% and sending him back to the track. Not that such a sum isn't anything but a drop in the bucket.

Even though they could (1) insure him to recover that buyout money + see a return on their own purchase stake in case of injury and (2) make make back the $8M (if he's that good) in 2008 racing. Win in Dubai and the Breeders' Cup Classic plus a couple more races and you're there .. plus he then could be sold for 2009 breeding at a value closer to $60M+.

holmes
Nov. 2, 2007, 01:35 PM
The other problem is the 400 people are responsible for paying for his keep, albiet their share is probably $2 each - but how is that going to be arranged.

Glimmerglass
Nov. 2, 2007, 01:42 PM
Per the Associated Press - not only the stake in Curlin is property of the plantiffs (http://kentucky.com/254/story/219626.html) but also the 20% share of his winnings too. Looks like that fat Breeders' Cup check will be re-distributed. With over $5M in track purses, this means $1M+ will go towards the phen-fen folks .. or rather a more likely 60% to their lawer and 40% to them ;)

Back of the envelope math:

$1,000,000 purse monies redistributed
$600,000 in legal fees in Ms. Angela Ford
$400,000 to 418 plantiffs or $956.94 each

Glimmerglass
Nov. 2, 2007, 06:33 PM
A bit more info: AP 4:53 pm EST "Plaintiffs lawyers say Curlin now up for sale after judge's order" (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/news/story?id=3091036)

"I don't want to speculate on what Curlin is worth," said Angela Ford, an attorney who represents the new owners. "Let's just say my clients are pleased as they find out."

Mike Meuser, an attorney for Sanan and Padua Stables, confirmed the possible sale and said his client prefers a public auction that would also give the current owners a right to bid.

"The best way for us to find out [Curlin's value] is to have an auction," Meuser said.

"Curlin has been [Cunningham and Gallion's] most well-known asset that is available to satisfy the judgment," Ford said

But Curlin is not alone ...

[Judge] Wehr's ruling also entitles the plaintiffs to other horses owned by Midnight Cry Stable, which would include the winner of Thursday's feature race at Churchill Downs, Stormin Baghdad.

miss_critic
Nov. 3, 2007, 12:21 AM
But a Bloodhorse article said
http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=41844

An attorney representing Jess Jackson's Stonestreet Stables issued a statement Nov. 2 clarifying the position of the owner-partner.

"The order ... entered by Judge (William) Wehr in Boone County circuit court applies only to the 20% interest in Curlin owed by Mr. Gallion and Mr. Cunningham through Tandy LLC. That entity has done business using the name Midnight Cry Stables," Lexington-based attorney Richard Getty said. "The order has absolutely has no effect in the other ownership interests in Curlin, none of which have been sold."

Getty declined to comment further, other than to say: "We are evaluating the overall situation."

An attorney representing the fen-phen plaintiffs suggested on the day of the ruling that Curlin would be sold, possibly at public auction. "All of the partners in Curlin believe that their interests are best served by selling the horse now," attorney Angela Ford said at the time.

Contacted Nov. 2, Ford said she stands by the statement. "That's what I was led to believe," she said. "I guess maybe things can change."

I really don't understand this case. For one, I thought this was just a hearing about their being jailed and to find out where the funds are. I must have missed something. This deal seems odd-These people are owed $64 million. How can you give 400+ people ownership of a stable when you don't have a worth for it yet? And like someone said, who is going to pay the costs?

I also can't believe another lawyer would get a huge cut of the 64 million; that really isn't fair to the people to have to pay lawyers fees again.

gubbyz
Nov. 3, 2007, 01:05 AM
Ok Cothers...so if we all throw in a couple bucks each...:yes: let the bidding begin!

miss_critic
Nov. 3, 2007, 02:22 PM
This just in:
http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=41857

This makes much more sense to me. However, in some way, it seems sad that a horse like Curlin might be going through a sale, although I am sure he could give a rats ass ;)

Kenike
Nov. 3, 2007, 08:09 PM
Ok Cothers...so if we all throw in a couple bucks each...:yes: let the bidding begin!

I'm in!! :yes:

Seriously, if it were possible, I'd do it in a heartbeat. But the real point is that it's terribly sad that the horses are paying the price for the owners who have their heads up their butts. I understand the court's decision, but it still saddens me for the animals. (does that make sense? I'm not very good at putting it into words)

gubbyz
Nov. 4, 2007, 01:17 AM
Kenike, it makes sense. it is sad that it seems like he is not treated like a living animal, just a piece of property. Of course he gets the best care, but it just shows that these people probably could not tell his head from his a$$ until someone told them which end crosses the finish line first. :D Pity what money and power can do to you.

Kenike
Nov. 4, 2007, 09:39 PM
yeah, that's what I was trying to get at, but it didn't come out that way.

It's been a long couple of days....but that's not horse-related

miss_critic
Nov. 6, 2007, 11:30 PM
Jackson, Bolton buy out Sanan’s interest in Curlin

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/sales-news/2007/November/06/jess-jackson-buys-curlin.aspx

Glimmerglass
Nov. 7, 2007, 12:40 AM
Jackson, Bolton buy out Sanan’s interest in Curlin

So software multi-multi millionaire Satish Sanan (http://finance.google.com/finance?cid=1647409) sold his Padua Stables' 29% stake in Curlin. Then one could say that the purchase price paid by Jess Jackson and George Bolton should've determined his market value at the height of his career.

I suspect if Satish cut them a break (and didn't hyper inflate Curlin's value) then it could be used as leverage for perhaps a private and clean sale of Tandy LLC's 20% stake in the next week. Who knows Satish may have said he's worth just $20M now and gets $5,501,00 but as a future bonus he'll be granted say 8 coverings a year for 5 year. Since the rate hasn't been set, then the value of that isn't necessarily known. 400+ people and their attorney aren't going to want future breeding stakes - they'll want their money now so some negotiating room for Jackson/Bolton to work that upfront cash price down.

Then again Ms. Ford, the attorney for the fen-phen crew might still push for public auction to determine maximum 'market value' for the awarded Midnight Cry Stables/Tandy LLC piece her clients now own.

Kenike
Nov. 7, 2007, 01:41 AM
Oy....is this going to be a mess?

miss_critic
Nov. 7, 2007, 07:58 AM
Then again Ms. Ford, the attorney for the fen-phen crew might still push for public auction to determine maximum 'market value' for the awarded Midnight Cry Stables/Tandy LLC piece her clients now own.

Doesn't majority rule? In other words, how can 20% of the owners decide what 80% of the ownership does?

Glimmerglass
Nov. 7, 2007, 11:02 AM
Doesn't majority rule? In other words, how can 20% of the owners decide what 80% of the ownership does?

Not necessarily.

The new owners of Tandy LLC's 20% stake obviously don't want to be the horse business and just want to liquidate their court-awarded stake at the highest price. Accordingly that minority stake would (I presume) until they are bought out do everything within their legal means to prevent the devaluation of Curlin and reduce costs. Reducing costs can mean taking him out of training and going into retirement, thus cancelling the higher premium insurance on an active race horse.

The sooner that Bolton/Jackosn can buy out that stake the sooner they can make longer term decisions.

In case anyone has this image of Curlinl being walked through a Fasig-Tipton sale you can dismiss that ;) With just 20% of him "for sale" you can't offer him in the ring but say "all you get is the right rear leg, mane, withers, and one of his eyes"!

The problem for Bolton/Jackson is what the class-action folks think (under advisement I'm sure from a blookstock agent) Curlin is worth. A breeding operation may want to buy that 20% stake on the market now to ensure they have a say in where he goes to stand at stud. So they might bid up the price.

Glimmerglass
Nov. 12, 2007, 07:58 PM
Looks like if (and when) Curlin is sold trainer Kenny McPeek will (or asserts he will) get first crack at that revenue before the 418 plaintiffs or their lawyer do ;)

Courier-Journal 11-12-07 "Trainer McPeek sues fen-phen lawyers over Curlin" (http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071112/BUSINESS/71112016)

McPeek filed the suit on Friday in Jefferson Circuit Court alleging that the stable [Midnight Cry] breached a contract calling for him to get a 5 percent commission on the purchase and selling price of Curlin and other racehorses.

McPeek also contends the stable reneged on another part of the deal calling for him to get two lifetime breeding rights on each horse retired to stud.

Oh and how much is Curlin being valued at? Well I was way off the mark with my thought of him at $30 million ...

Curlin’s value now has been estimated at $60 million to $70 million.

I think that is insane but go figure. He won a BCC and just one leg of the Triple Crown, the horse isn't the return of Spectacular Bid ....

Glimmerglass
Nov. 30, 2007, 11:43 AM
The most current I've seen on Curlin:

Times-Picayune 11-29-07 "Curlin back at Fair Grounds, while his racing fate is decided" (http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/horseracing/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1196317594130190.xml&coll=1)

It would reaffirm other articles that Curlin is being given a break from any training program and is being eased down such that he could end his racing career without it being so abrupt or could also go back to racing in the spring.

miss_critic
Nov. 30, 2007, 08:02 PM
Funny, I almost forgot about this drama after not hearing anything for a few weeks! Which is probably for the better since I don't want to get my hopes up.

Glimmerglass
Dec. 16, 2007, 12:20 PM
One thing you can say for Culin: he's done more business for the court system since the asbestos and tobacco litigation ;)

Churhill Downs Inc. sues Midnight Cry over Earnings (http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=42782) Dec 15, 2007

Churchill Downs has filed a lawsuit against Midnight Cry Stable's co-owners, saying it wants a court to decide who should get purse money earned by their runners.

The complaint was filed Dec. 12 in Boone County, Kentucky, Circuit Court, and seeks to decide whether $33,000 in earnings from three horses owned by William Gallion and Shirley Cunningham's racing entity, Midnight Cry Stable, should go to the stable, or to more than 400 former clients who claim they are due some of the horse owner's winnings.

The purse money doesn't involve leading Horse of the Year candidate Curlin, who is owned 20% by Midnight Cry Stables.

According to the Cincinnati Post, Churchill Downs filed the lawsuit because it doesn't want to pay the incorrect party and then be involved in possible future litigation.

dkeen
Dec. 19, 2007, 10:38 PM
I'm lucky enough to get to see Curlin train often in the mornings here at the Fair Grounds in New Orleans. Even though the law suit is still going on Steve keeps Curlin doing what he loves, training.
In spite of all the controversy he is an amazing animal and should be thought of as such, not just another law suit.
Donna
www.dallaskeen.com

ravenclaw
Dec. 20, 2007, 01:19 PM
Donna -- thanks for the update. How cool that you get to see Curlin train in the mornings!

I really don't want Curlin to retire, but if they are going to do it (and stand him at stud next year) don't they need to do it pretty soon?

I think breeding season usually starts on/around Valentine's Day and surely they would need some time to figure out which farm, for him to be syndicated, for mare owners to book their mares to him, to do some test breedings with him, etc.

Since nothing has been announced and he's still in training, I hope this means he will race again next year. :yes:

Glimmerglass
Dec. 20, 2007, 01:42 PM
ESPN/DRF 12-19-07 "Decision on BC Classic winner Curlin near" (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/news/story?id=3161148)

Still, every day that passes makes Curlin a longer and longer shot to become a stallion in 2008. The breeding season is nearly upon Kentucky, and Curlin is nowhere near a stallion barn. Instead he is in steady training at Fair Grounds with Steve Asmussen, who, for lack of any other directive, continues to train Curlin with an eye toward an early-season 2008 campaign.

Asmussen said that Curlin was scheduled to have his first two-minute lick this coming Monday, with a similar piece of exercise less than a week later. A two-minute lick is faster than a gallop and slower than a breeze, and after a couple of them, a horse coming back from a layoff is generally ready for his first published workout.

Possible 2008 races? If he does race at 4-yrs old I'd have to assume that the Dubai World Cup in spring would be the No. 1 goal with the Breeders Cup Classic No. 2. Following the footsteps of Invasor in 2006 would be what I'd expect although no more Pimlico Special.

Glimmerglass
Dec. 20, 2007, 05:42 PM
As of December 20th 'whine' baron buys out George Bolton's stake - so holds 80% of Curlin (http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=42840)

The only portion not controlled is what Midnight Cry technically owns from jail.

My guess is Jess will make an offer for that stake (with the proceeds to be dispensed as needed to the 416 plantiffs) and be done with it.

dkeen
Dec. 22, 2007, 07:45 AM
I took some pictures of Curlin on the track yesterday. Is there a way to post them here? He back tracked a mile jogging and then turned to gallop, he might have 2 minuet licked. One of mine came on the track and I had to go with her with the pony so I didn't see.
What I did see though was Curlin pulling up after his gallop. He didn't jog so great. Definitely off in front. I will start watching for him and update you guys if I see anything else.

RNB
Dec. 22, 2007, 12:12 PM
I took some pictures of Curlin on the track yesterday. Is there a way to post them here? He back tracked a mile jogging and then turned to gallop, he might have 2 minuet licked. One of mine came on the track and I had to go with her with the pony so I didn't see.
What I did see though was Curlin pulling up after his gallop. He didn't jog so great. Definitely off in front. I will start watching for him and update you guys if I see anything else.

I can post them for you if you're having trouble.

Kenike
Dec. 22, 2007, 02:00 PM
uh oh, I hope it's just a superficial thing and nothing serious.

Thanks for the continued the updates. As much as I love the horse, I do have to agree that his value is inflated quite a bit. I guess that's what greed does to people...

What a mess, indeed. Too bad.

miss_critic
Dec. 22, 2007, 03:31 PM
In an HRTV interview with Bolton, he said Curlin is coming back in 2008. We shall see.

ravenclaw
Dec. 22, 2007, 04:17 PM
Bolton always seemed like the one who was the most enthusiastic about Curlin racing next year. Now that he has been bought out, who knows what will happen.

Donna -- Thanks for the updates. I hope Curlin is o.k.

Glimmerglass
Dec. 22, 2007, 05:11 PM
He back tracked a mile jogging and then turned to gallop, he might have 2 minuet licked. One of mine came on the track and I had to go with her with the pony so I didn't see.

Interesting - all media coverage has said that while he's been jogged he won't do a lick until Monday December 24th: Daily Racing Form (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/news/story?id=3165140)

.. trainer Steve Asmussen said that Curlin is scheduled for a two-minute lick on Monday at Fair Grounds in New Orleans and again the week after that ..

dkeen
Dec. 22, 2007, 10:17 PM
Like I said, I wasn't watching Curlin, I had a filly on the track that I went all the way around with the pony. I just know that he did turn and at least gallop after backtracking a mile with Scott on the pony. I hope he runs again too. He is an awesome horse. If someone will email (dallaskeen@hotmail.com) me and tell me how to upload the pics to this site I will.

Donna
dallaskeen@hotmail.com

RNB
Dec. 22, 2007, 10:33 PM
Just sent you an email! :)

RNB
Dec. 23, 2007, 12:45 PM
Here ya' go dkeen! Happy to post them for you. :)

dkeen
Dec. 23, 2007, 01:55 PM
Hope everyone likes the pics. I take my camera on the track a couple of times a week to take pics for owners. If I see him again I will shoot a few more and get them posted them for you guys.

Thanks for the help RNB!

Donna
www.dallaskeen.com

InVA
Dec. 23, 2007, 09:39 PM
The caption on the pictures reads Curlin Steve's lil girl.. the pony isn't a mare is it? If so Curlin is VERY well behaved!!

he sure looks well doesn't he?

dkeen
Dec. 23, 2007, 11:46 PM
No, my bad. I took pictures of two horses while I was on the track and saved them to the same folder. I don't know the pony's name but I am sure it is a he, not a she.
Sorry!

Glimmerglass
Dec. 29, 2007, 12:24 PM
As expected, if he most likely continues to run in 2008, the goal will be the Dubai World Cup in March (http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/racing-news/2007/December/28/Asmussen-looking-toward-Dubai-World-Cup-with-Curlin.aspx); I'd expect him to follow the same steps as Invasor did when he was 4 .... if they had the Pimlico Special (G1) still around he'd be there too

Kenike
Dec. 31, 2007, 02:55 AM
Thanks, Glimmer. I've not been posting much, but have been reading and am always glad for Curlin updates :)

Glimmerglass
Jan. 3, 2008, 03:53 PM
Describing the condition of probable Horse of the Year Curlin as “perfect,” trainer Steve Asmussen has tentatively set Sunday [Jan 6th] for the colt’s first timed workout since winning the Breeders’ Cup Classic Powered by Dodge (gr. I).

source: BloodHorse 1/3/08 (http://racing.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=42958)

Texarkana
Jan. 3, 2008, 05:07 PM
It's pretty rare I feel sorry for Asmussen and his crew, but this has to be horribly stressful for everyone in the barn...

miss_critic
Jan. 3, 2008, 10:48 PM
Why is it taking so friggan long for anything to be announced?
Are we supposed to assume nothing is being said because of the legal issues Why can't they just tell us that? Ok, so I know we aren't owed anything, but this would be huge news that racing fans would certainly appreciate!

Glimmerglass
Jan. 6, 2008, 05:27 PM
DRF 01-06-8 - Curlin credited with first official workout (http://drf.com/news/article/91413.html)

The presumptive Horse of the Year looked sharp and business-minded as he turned his third two-minute lick since resuming training in a time that qualifies as a recognized work.

Although there are no set plans for Curlin‘s 4-year-old season, he appears to be training for a return to the racetrack rather than a new career as a stallion.

“Today it was 53 and two-fifths, and we'll look to add to it, probably on January 12," said Asmussen.

So that's the half-mile in 0:53 2/5 seconds

Glimmerglass
Jan. 8, 2008, 07:40 PM
Nothing terribly new or interesting with the actions of today's court proceedings:

Bloodhorse 1-8-08 "Jackson: Curlin Interest Protected" (http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=43054)

Essentially the creditors of disbarred attorneys Shirley Cunningham Jr. and William Gallion asked for foreclosure of their holding -Tandy LLC - which owns Midnight Cry Stable and 20% of Curlin. Everyone expects that 20% stake to be transferred to the 415 plantiffs for sale - either privately direct with Jackson or the minority stake offered up in an auction.

Texarkana
Jan. 10, 2008, 10:00 AM
So I'm confused now... maybe because I haven't been following the Curlin legal battle closely enough.

But if Curlin's racing fate is so up in the air because of his Midnight Cry interest, how are the other Midnight Cry horses still running and training?

Is it because they are of lesser quality and therefore lesser market value when resold at auction? So it's more valuable to keep them in training?

THIS (http://racing.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=43070) article is what spurred my confusion:

Einstein Returns in GP Allowance
by Claire Novak
Date Posted: January 9, 2008
Last Updated: January 9, 2008

Midnight Cry Stable’s Einstein could not defy the laws of gravity in his last start, when he went down in a frightening spill in the Dixie Stakes (gr. II) at Pimlico on Preakness day May 19. A mild injury from that spill cut short the 6-year-old’s 2007 campaign, but he’ll be back in a one-mile turf allowance feature at Gulfstream Park Jan. 11...

I never really thought about or followed how the other Midnight Cry horses are affected by the owners' incarceration... now I'm curious.

miss_critic
Jan. 10, 2008, 01:36 PM
THIS (http://racing.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=43070) article is what spurred my confusion:

Good point. I hadn't thought of that.

Glimmerglass
Jan. 10, 2008, 02:13 PM
But if Curlin's racing fate is so up in the air because of his Midnight Cry interest, how are the other Midnight Cry horses still running and training?

I'm not aware of any 'block' placed on Curlin's training or running and that holds true for other Midnight Cry owned horses. Steve is still getting paid to train etc. If he was ready to run tomorrow and a race was suited for him then they'd just do it without having to get court permission. It is not like the plantiffs looking to seize holdings of Tandy LLC (Midnight Cry) are objecting to the horses going about their business.

What is more problematic is the breeding aspect.

No farm or syndication group is going to touch any disputed Midnight Cry horse (or those with an interest held by them) until it gets resolved. That might very well have been the reason Curlin has all but missed the window to start breeding this year and forced the hand to lean towards racing at 4.

miss_critic
Jan. 10, 2008, 09:55 PM
That might very well have been the reason Curlin has all but missed the window to start breeding this year and forced the hand to lean towards racing at 4.

Oh darn! ;)

Kenike
Jan. 11, 2008, 03:38 AM
Thanks for the explanation, Glimmer.

I just keep finding myself amazed at the messiness of this whole thing. Really, I should be, but I am. How sad is that?

ravenclaw
Jan. 11, 2008, 11:35 AM
I'm not aware of any 'block' placed on Curlin's training or running and that holds true for other Midnight Cry owned horses. Steve is still getting paid to train etc. If he was ready to run tomorrow and a race was suited for him then they'd just do it without having to get court permission. It is not like the plantiffs looking to seize holdings of Tandy LLC (Midnight Cry) are objecting to the horses going about their business.
But I wonder who is paying for the board and training of the Midnight Cry horses? It seems like with all the legal mess, their assets would be frozen. Hey, maybe Asmussen can file a lawsuit if they owe money for board and training! :winkgrin:

Glimmerglass
Jan. 11, 2008, 12:02 PM
But I wonder who is paying for the board and training of the Midnight Cry horses? It seems like with all the legal mess, their assets would be frozen. Hey, maybe Asmussen can file a lawsuit if they owe money for board and training! :winkgrin:

I presume the executors of the estate are making the payments. Steve Asmussen did sue already but that was in connection to breeding rights tied into Curlin promised by Midnight Cry.

The 415 plantiffs have been advised that one of the problems (if they hold onto the 20% stake and fail to settle) is the hefty cost of training fees + shipping, entry fees, etc. So they are in a bit of a Catch 22 in so far as they cannot get top dollar for breeding and they could be squeezed if they sit tight during the racing season.

Jess Jackson is (IMO) completely in the driver's seat on this one. He can mandate that Curlin goes to Dubai and while shipping and board is free the cost for Steve and his crew will escalate.

Texarkana
Jan. 11, 2008, 12:37 PM
Haha, now I'm more confused. But oh well... doesn't really matter.

Glimmerglass
Jan. 19, 2008, 01:31 PM
His last recorded workout - Friday Jan 18th: at five-furlongs in 1:04

Per the Daily Racing Form article of 1-18-08 the sale issue could be resolved (http://drf.com/news/article/91692.html) in court on Tuesday Jan 22nd:

Senior Judge Roger Crittenden, the new arbiter of the civil case against Tandy LLC, will hear a motion for foreclosure of all assets of the corporation.

If successful, the motion could result in the sale of Tandy's assets, including Midnight Cry Stables and the 20 percent ownership of Curlin. The foreclosure could mean Jess Jackson would have the chance at becoming the sole owner, or that a more functional minority partnership could take over.

miss_critic
Jan. 19, 2008, 01:58 PM
I remember him working a little "slower" up at Saratoga last summer/fall-but I still think they were a few seconds faster than this!

Glimmerglass
Jan. 22, 2008, 12:48 AM
As noted in the Eclipse thread - when Curlin won the HOY, Jess Jackson said he's committed to running him in 2008 as a 4-yr old.

ravenclaw
Jan. 22, 2008, 12:56 AM
As noted in the Eclipse thread - when Curlin won the HOY, Jess Jackson said he's committed to running him in 2008 as a 4-yr old.
THANK YOU, Mr. Jackson! What a wonderful gift to racing fans! :yes:

RNB
Jan. 22, 2008, 01:27 AM
:D

Kenike
Jan. 22, 2008, 02:15 AM
Well, it's nice to finally have a decision! Here's to you in your 4-yr-old year, Curlin :)

Glimmerglass
Jan. 22, 2008, 10:37 AM
As expected, Curlin was a nominee for the $6-million Dubai World Cup (UAE-I) for March 29. (http://racing.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=43272)

He is joined by 168 other horses globally: The nominees hail from 11 countries: the United Arab Emirates (78); United States (38); Japan (18); United Kingdom (11); Brazil and France (six); Argentina, Turkey, and Saudi Arabia (three); Macau (two); and Bahrain (one).

Despite being the world's highest rated horse in training he'll face the exceedingly strong Premium Tap (aka "Allam") from (now) Saudi Arabia in that race should he go.

harvestmoon
Jan. 22, 2008, 02:43 PM
Can I give a woo-hoo for Curlin and Co.? ;)

Beezer
Jan. 22, 2008, 09:49 PM

He actually went even further and said a 5-year-old campaign is entirely possible. :yes: Essentially, he said that racing needs Curlin to, well, race. Imagine that!

miss_critic
Jan. 22, 2008, 11:18 PM
He actually went even further and said a 5-year-old campaign is entirely possible. :yes: Essentially, he said that racing needs Curlin to, well, race. Imagine that!

Where/When did he say that?

Glimmerglass
Jan. 23, 2008, 10:03 AM
Any sale of the 20% stake is on hold ....

Associated Press 1-22-08 "Judge won't order Curlin auction" (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/more/01/22/curlin.ownershio.ap/)

Special Judge Roger Crittenden left the door open for 418 people to pursue a 20 percent ownership stake in Curlin later.

The judge made his decision during a 90-minute hearing on Tuesday after concluding that the plaintiffs did not have enough information about the assets of attorneys William Gallion and Shirley Cunningham Jr. to force the auction.

Jackson is considering running Curlin in the Dubai World Cup in March.

"I don't think the horse is training for no particular reason," Getty said after the court hearing. "The horse is training because we expect to do something with it."

Beezer
Jan. 23, 2008, 01:52 PM
Where/When did he say that?

Monday, at the Eclipse Awards. Per the Blood Horse:

To a full house Jan. 21 at the Beverly Wilshire in Beverly Hills, Calif., Jackson said the Smart Strike colt would run at 4, and he didn’t rule out a 5-year-old season, either.

Despite lucrative offers to stand him at stud, Jackson told the crowd he and his family decided "to give the fans and the industry what we need, marketing a hero and a horse that's bred to endure and that brings stamina, quality, brilliance, and speed for a mile and a half or two miles."

Glimmerglass
Jan. 23, 2008, 06:22 PM
An interesting bit of spot on commentary from The BloodHorse's Dan Liebman (Editor-in-Chief):Jan 22, 2008 "Beyond Past Performances" (http://opinions.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=43277)

excerpt

At races in which Curlin ran, the colt delighted fans with his style, tenacity, and tremendous turn of foot, but it was not uncommon to hear those same fans say they were actually rooting against the horse because of his ownership group.

Despite his race record, if the voting for Horse of the Year was conducted by breeders, it is doubtful Curlin would have won. His majority owner, Jackson, has not endeared himself to members of that group by virtue of his claims that the Thoroughbred auction industry is corrupt.

If Jackson was the victim of unscrupulous acts involving the purchase of horses, that is unfortunate, but it does not mean an indictment of an entire industry is warranted.

Jackson has pushed hard for changes in the auction process, and many of the issues he raised, such as more transparency, are right on track. But his methods, termed bullying tactics by some breeders, leave something to be desired.

...continued ..

Many will not rejoice that Curlin has been named Horse of the Year. But do not hold it against the son of Smart Strike. A horse cannot determine its owner and trainer. Let’s face it: if they could, many horses would walk out of their stalls and enter another barn.

dkeen
Jan. 25, 2008, 09:00 PM
Evidently they haven't watched him pull up after his gallops. There maybe a reason he is working so slow. I hope the best for Curlin and I hope he blows them away in Dubai, but I will need to see a better way of going before I go to the window. He is a beautiful horse and looks fabulous though. I was very impressed, although I don't think a lot of Steve's personality sometimes, that he shared Curlins cash from the Breeders Cup with his employees. All I can say is 'Go Curllin, Good Luck!'

Glimmerglass
Jan. 30, 2008, 05:58 PM
Per the TB Times Curlin workout 6F in a swift (http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/racing-news/2008/January/30/Curlin-Pyro-impress-Asmussen-in-six-furlong-breeze.aspx)1:13 today (Wed 1-30)

As to what is next the Dubai World Cup in March is seemingly not a slam dunk:

NO Times-Picayune 1-29-08 "Fair Grounds trying to get Curlin to race here" (http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/horseracing/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1201587640241850.xml&coll=1)

excerpt

Enhancements that the Fair Grounds and CDI might offer are purse increases for the Mineshaft Handicap and/or New Orleans Handicap; a bonus for winning a series of races, such as the Mineshaft, New Orleans Handicap and Stephen Foster at Churchill Downs; or a combination of purse increases and a bonus for a series sweep.

Similar enhancements have been offered by other tracks. In 1985, for example, Spend a Buck won a $2 million bonus for sweeping the Cherry Hill Mile, Garden State Stakes, Kentucky Derby and Jersey Derby. The bonus lured the Kentucky Derby winner to Garden State Park, site of the other three races. Spend a Buck ran in the Jersey Derby instead of the Preakness.

Monmouth Park raised the purse of the Haskell in 1987 to get a dream race involving Alysheba, Bet Twice and Lost Code. Monmouth increased both the purse and the distance of the Iselin Handicap in 1998 to lure Skip Away. Last year, Louisiana Downs offered to raise the Super Derby purse if any of the winners of Triple Crown races would show up. None did.

Curlin is among 16 horses nominated to the Mineshaft, a $150,000 Grade III race for older horses to be run Feb. 9. Entries will be taken Monday.

The New Orleans Handicap is a $500,000 Grade II race for older horses to be run March 8. Nominations for that race close Feb. 23.

A bit obvious (as the race is in three days) but unlike Invasor - Curlin has been confirmed as skipping the Grade 1 Donn Handicap (http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=659446&category=SPORTS&newsdate=1/30/2008)

miss_critic
Jan. 30, 2008, 09:54 PM
I would personally like to see Curlin do Dubai.

Kenike
Feb. 1, 2008, 02:50 AM
I'd like to see him go to Dubai, too....but only if he's really ready.

Interesting article you posted a few days ago, Glimmer.

Glimmerglass
Feb. 4, 2008, 07:08 PM
BloodHorse 2-4-08 "Curlin Going to Dubai World Cup" (http://racing.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=43486)

Asmussen confirmed Feb. 4 the plan is to race Curlin Feb. 28 in a $175,000 race at 2,000 meters (the same distance as the World Cup--about 1 1/4 miles) at Nad Al Sheba in the hope it will set him up for the big race.

So he'll do a prep race in Dubai (28th Feb 2008) and provided that works out fine then he'll remain in Dubai for the World Cup (29th March 2008) during the Dubai International Racing Carnival.

Kenike
Feb. 5, 2008, 02:13 AM
thanks, Glimmer. Very, very interesting. I'm anxious to see how he does

Glimmerglass
Feb. 12, 2008, 11:12 PM
Curlin ships off to Dubai this Friday (2/15) - and he's looking good per reports and his last workout today:

DRF 2-12-08 "Curlin in tip-top shape for Dubai trip" (http://www.drf.com/news/article/92238.html)

Curlin's seven-furlong drill was timed in an eye-popping 1:23.60. Curlin was the only horse to work the distance, and neither were there any six-furlong breezes during the morning, but for some perspective, the fastest half-mile work of the day went in 49.20 seconds, so the track was by no means fast. Assistant trainer Scott Blasi said he timed Curlin galloping out one mile in 1:37.40, and 1 1/8 miles in 1:51 and change.

"Only an extraordinary horse could do what he did, but we needed a solid work in him before we shipped over," Blasi said. "He's in great physical condition."

Curlin will fly from New Orleans to Miami on Friday morning. He then will spend the night in Asmussen's barn at Gulfstream Park before leaving Saturday for Dubai, where he will land mid-morning on Sunday.

Linny
Feb. 13, 2008, 12:21 AM
I have a friend in Dubai (working at the Racing Carnival) who has promised to spy on him for me. I'll report whatever I hear!

Kenike
Feb. 13, 2008, 12:47 AM
Oh, Linny, you're so wonderful!

Glimmerglass
Feb. 15, 2008, 06:47 PM
As indicated he's at Gulfstream Park right now, traveling with one companion, and will be wheels up for the UK and then Dubai by this time tomorrow.

2/15/08 "Curlin at Gulfstream Before Dubai" (http://racing.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=43672)

arrived at Gulfstream Park Feb. 15 after taking a Tex Sutton charter flight from Fair Grounds race course in New Orleans, La. The Smart Strike colt will spend the night with trainer Steve Asmussen’s south Florida division before proceeding to Dubai Feb. 16.

Curlin’s only equine travel partner on the Tex Sutton charter was Poncho, the pony belonging to assistant trainer Scott Blasi. Blasi and Poncho will accompany Curlin on the flight to Dubai, with a stopover at Stanstead Airport in England before a final seven or eight-hour flight to their ultimate destination.

"We had a good trip to Florida," Blasi said after arriving at Gulfstream, “He’s a great traveler. I'll be with him the entire time. When we get there, he'll have three days in quarantine before going to the track. He’ll have just one more work before the prep race.

Texarkana
Feb. 15, 2008, 09:39 PM
For me not being much of a Curlin fan last year, I am so excited about this. I'm ready and raring to root for him. :D

miss_critic
Feb. 16, 2008, 07:55 AM
Me too :)
(but I'll admit I am glad he's back)

How is the quarantine so short?

Linny
Feb. 16, 2008, 09:29 AM
Curlin will take an Emirates Airlines cargo plane, specially fitted for horses, to Dubai. When he gets there he'll have 48 hrs of "rest time" when he'll be checked for infectious illness, before he can go out to work.
He'll stable with other horses whose nations of origin have the same quarantine laws, ie USA/Canada. Horses are stabled there with others of the same nation. This makes transfer back to their home countries easier.
He'll be assigned a number and a saddle pad with that number must be worn when he goes to train.
For info on the racing in Dubai go to www.dubairacingclub.com (http://www.dubairacingclub.com) or www.drcnewswire.com (http://www.drcnewswire.com)

Linny
Feb. 18, 2008, 10:51 AM
The following is from my friend in Dubai re: Curlin's arrival.:D

"Curlin and Poncho arrived in Dubai Sat night in great shape. After a good feed and nights sleep, Curlin was given a bath and walked on a cool and foggy morning here. I talked with Scott, and Carmen this morning and they were very happy how the trip, and everything is going. Scott was very impressed how the flight flying groom and the staff here had everything running smooth and on time.This is not Scott's first trip to Dubai, and his kind words were nice to hear for a large team of people that make it all happen.Curlin is eating well, and will make his first trip to the track on Wednesday AM.
Youmzain from the UK(2nd in the Arc) will arrive in about a hour, and other flights in the days ahead. Great weather, looks like a great beach/pool day! "

Glimmerglass
Feb. 18, 2008, 11:13 AM
See also: BloodHorse 2-18-08 "Curlin Settles in at Nad Al Sheba" (http://racing.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=43694)

excerpt

Carmen Rosas, Curlin’s regular exercise rider, also accompanied the champion to Dubai, along with Blasi’s pony, Poncho, who is delighted with his accommodations near his famous stablemate.

“Right now, Poncho thinks he’s died and gone to heaven,” Blasi said with a laugh. “He’s got a stall the size of a paddock.”

The Curlin team departed from the Fort Lauderdale airport Feb. 16 to begin the journey. Blasi said it took little time to load and take off, and “everything went really smooth” from there, with the refueling stop brief and the landing in Dubai within 10 minutes of schedule.

“My hat’s off to whoever orchestrated all this,” Blasi said, praising the Janah.

On a related note with the Dubai Classic - Premium Tap (aka Allam) lost a key prep race in Saudi Arabia to an Argentine import - Joe Louis (aka Kharimes) in the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques Cup:

BloodHorse 2-17-08 "Joe Louis Flattens Premium Tap" (http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=43679)

The loss marked consecutive setbacks for Premium Tap, winner of the 2006 Woodward Stakes (gr. I) and Clark Handicap (gr. I), following his December victory in Saudi Arabia’s second most prestigious race, the Crown Prince Cup. Trainer Julio Gardel, an Argentine native, has been aiming Premium Tap for a return engagement in the Dubai World Cup, which is run over 2,000 meters.

Atypical
Feb. 18, 2008, 06:18 PM
Have loved hearing about Curlin, and am rooting for him in Dubai. That being said, I didn't get to see the Belmont, Preakness or Breeder's Cup, only his game effort in the Derby. But I did recently get some one on one face time with a recent Smart Strike bred gelding, and man, that is one good looking horse. ....thinking I might need to look out for some Smart Strike colts for my next ex racer project.

miss_critic
Feb. 18, 2008, 10:31 PM
Thanks for sharing that Linny.

Glimmerglass
Feb. 21, 2008, 10:16 AM
HRTV viewers will be in luck as that cable channel will carry Curlin's WC prep race in Dubai live.

HRTV to show Curlin’s Dubai World Cup prep

HorseRacing TV will broadcast live coverage of Horse of the Year and champion three-year-old Curlin's prep race for the $6-million Emirates Airline Dubai World Cup (UAE-G1) on February 28.

The four-year-old Smart Strike colt is scheduled to prep for the world’s richest Thoroughbred race in a $175,000 handicap over 2,000 meters (9.94 furlongs)—the same distance as the World Cup.

HRTV's coverage of racing from Dubai on February 28 will begin at 10:30 a.m. EST during its daily "RaceDay America" show. The show is co-hosted by Carolyn Conley and Scott Hazelton.

HRTV also will carry the Dubai World Cup live from Nad al Sheba racecourse on March 29.

For the rest of us :) we should be able to see the Dubai World Cup almost live on ABC Sports. If they do cover it I hope they'll show the undercard as well the Dubai Sheema Classic (UAE-IT) as Better Talk Now the 9-yr old has agreed to go. Sans of course any rabbit so I don't know how productive it will be ....

I'm not sure if they'll carry the United Arab Emirates Derby (UAE-G2), also an undercard, but there is a chance this is the race that Tomcito, the Peruvian 3-yr old HOTY, will kick off his road to the Belmont Stakes in.

Glimmerglass
Feb. 21, 2008, 12:50 PM
Photo: Curlin 2-20-08 on the main dirt track of Nad Al Sheba (http://www.drcnewswire.com/?p=1747) - is Poncho the grey beside him?

Linny
Feb. 21, 2008, 02:20 PM
That's Poncho. Scott Blasi on Poncho, Carmen Rojas on Curlin. that's a lovely shot. The building in the background is the Burj Dubai, soon to be the world's tallest building.

Glimmerglass
Feb. 26, 2008, 10:42 AM
Curlin's Thursday race in Dubai (again, to be aired live on HRTV) isn't going to be a walk in the park - despite his very impressive workout.

2/26/08 "Curlin entered in Dubai World Cup prep" (http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/editorial/news/article.cgi?id=10648)

...he must shoulder the massive top weight of 132 pounds, spotting his opponents from 19 to 29 pounds.

Regarding his biggest opponent:

If Curlin is upset, the likeliest candidate is Kandidate (Kabool), who would tote a mere 113 pounds as the next highest-rated horse in the contest. Conditioned by Clive Brittain, the British-bred bay has plenty of experience at Nad al Sheba, and on his day, is capable of a first-rate effort. Kandidate stormed home by 5 3/4 lengths in last year's Maktoum Challenge Round 2 (UAE-G3) at about nine furlongs, but he was not able to duplicate that performance when checking in a distant sixth to Invasor (Arg) next time out in the World Cup.

miss_critic
Feb. 26, 2008, 11:38 AM
132 lbs? What do they carry in the World Cup and Breeders Cup (I guess I could look it up)? Does anybody know what time post time is EST (since I get HRTV)?

Glimmerglass
Feb. 26, 2008, 11:55 AM
Does anybody know what time post time is EST?

HRTV's coverage of racing from Dubai on Feb. 28 will commence at 10:30 a.m. ET/7:30 a.m. PT during its daily "RaceDay America" show.

From Dubai Racing Club website (http://www.dubairacingclub.com/?p=602) for Feb 26th:

Racing Carnival on Thursday.

The Jaguar Trophy, off at 21.15pm (local time), is run over the same 2000m distance as [Curlin's] big target, the US$6 million Dubai World Cup on March 29.

Curlin is the world’s top-rated horse still in training with a mark of 129, and there is naturally a large gulf between him and his rivals in this handicap, which is sure to be the focus of the racing world on Thursday.

What time is 21:15pm in Eastern Standard? based upon this World Clock (http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/difference.html?p1=776) it looks like it would be -9 hours in New York. So it looks like it would be approx 12:15 pm.

miss_critic
Feb. 26, 2008, 10:39 PM
Ok, I just read this if any other HRTViers are here

Curlin faces five foes in the fifth of eight Thursday races, with post time scheduled for 11:15 a.m. Eastern. Curlin carries 132 pounds, 15 more than his apparently overmatched rivals, with regular jockey Robby Albarado to ride.

About the world cup...isn't it being aired live on abc or espn? Must be taped delayed. WHY oh WHY does NTRA still not have the tv network up on their racing schedule!?

DLee
Feb. 26, 2008, 11:53 PM
Crossing my fingers for a safe and successful trip for him! :yes:

Glimmerglass
Feb. 27, 2008, 09:44 AM
About the world cup...isn't it being aired live on abc or espn? Must be taped delayed. WHY oh WHY does NTRA still not have the tv network up on their racing schedule!?

Thanks for the time correction.

ABC Sports when they aired the World Cup did so on a tape delay - although HRTV will air it live.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Curlin lose tomorrow based upon the distance (I think he's better with a little more runway) and with the weight factor. Not that I'm rooting for a flop but I see a decent hurdle to overcome.

DLee
Feb. 28, 2008, 01:34 PM
He's the man!! :yes::D

pinkdiamondracing
Feb. 28, 2008, 01:57 PM
Curlin wins at Al Nasheba today!!! WOW !!!!! :yes::eek:What a horse, carrying 132!!!!:yes::yes: Here's hoping he's a winner in the WC:D

Doodle
Feb. 28, 2008, 02:15 PM
Holy Moley! What a good boy!
I wonder if it is on YouTube yet?
:D

kelo
Feb. 28, 2008, 03:02 PM
Video is up, it's Race 5 (Jaguar Stakes). Wow, what a horse :yes:

http://www.drcnewswire.com/videos/2008_02_28/index.php

Glimmerglass
Feb. 28, 2008, 03:04 PM
Nothing on youtube.com as of yet - although I susupect by this evening someone will have ripped it and uploaded the race

Also nothing on the official Dubai website either:

Media Center: Dubai Racing Club (http://www.dubairacingclub.com/?cat=35)

BloodHorse: Curlin Romps in Duabi (http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=43838)

A victory by 2 lengths and a final time of 2:00.60 for the 'near' 1 1/4mi distance

Glimmerglass
Feb. 28, 2008, 03:10 PM
Video is up, it's Race 5 (Jaguar Stakes). Wow, what a horse :yes:

http://www.drcnewswire.com/videos/2008_02_28/index.php

Cool - thanks for sharing!

Very big props to Robby for that ultra smooth ride in the final stretch. He could've won by much more but a wise jockey kept him underwraps and saved a lot in the tank for next time.

What was unusual was how far off the rail he was up the backstretch. Maybe just the camera angle but they looked to be a good 8 - 10' off the rail.

Texarkana
Feb. 28, 2008, 03:13 PM
Wow, that was nothing more than a work from the gate with company. Curlin looked great and didn't use up a single ounce more energy than necessary. :D

Beezer
Feb. 28, 2008, 03:18 PM
Quick equipment question: In the Bloodhorse.com picture, both Curlin and the place horse look to have a martingale strap (without the tie-down portion) around their necks. The place horse has what looks to be a side attachment to the girth, while Curlin may have a strap running between his forelegs. What the heck is that? Something to stop the saddle from slipping? I don't think I've ever seen that.

Now back to your regularly scheduled shoutout to Curlin on another excellent effort!

Texarkana
Feb. 28, 2008, 03:26 PM
Quick equipment question: In the Bloodhorse.com picture, both Curlin and the place horse look to have a martingale strap (without the tie-down portion) around their necks. The place horse has what looks to be a side attachment to the girth, while Curlin may have a strap running between his forelegs. What the heck is that? Something to stop the saddle from slipping? I don't think I've ever seen that.

Now back to your regularly scheduled shoutout to Curlin on another excellent effort!

It's a breaking strap, or neck strap, or grab strap... whatever you want to call it. It's just a strap around the neck that you can grab on to. Lots of horses wear them, especially unruly ones or horses with no mane to grab. There isn't anything going between his legs that I can see in the picture.

I think what you're seeing on the 2nd horse is the jockey's whip, not an attachment to the girth.

Hope this helps. :)

Beezer
Feb. 28, 2008, 03:28 PM
Hmm ... well, now that I've watched the replay -- and what a seemingly easy effort it was! -- I don't see the strap thingie I see in the Bloodhorse picture. Maybe it's just a shadow.

I loved how in the race, the lead jock keeps looking over his shoulder, looking again, looks one more time ... and just keeps seeing that big red horse right there, breathing on him, and then he just cruises on by. :D

I must say, I am slowly becoming a Curlin convert. I'll always have a soft spot for Street Sense, but Curlin is clearly proving himself the man.

Beezer
Feb. 28, 2008, 03:36 PM
It's a breaking strap, or neck strap, or grab strap... whatever you want to call it. It's just a strap around the neck that you can grab on to. Lots of horses wear them, especially unruly ones or horses with no mane to grab. There isn't anything going between his legs that I can see in the picture.

I think what you're seeing on the 2nd horse is the jockey's whip, not an attachment to the girth.

Hope this helps. :)

Aha! Thanks ... that makes sense. I've heard of breaking straps; it was just the extra shadows or misplaced whip that made it look different.

Linny
Feb. 28, 2008, 03:45 PM
Assmussen uses neck straps on almost all of his horses. Curlin is well behaved at the start but since he really focuses on training young horses to show spped, the neck straps are handy.

Doodle
Feb. 28, 2008, 04:40 PM
what a beautifully won race...a hand ride to boot! At least I didn't see Robbie A. to anything but just sit there.. the announcer said he had him on a hard hold but it looked like there was a little loop in the rein and he was just out for a nice gallop!
JUST GORGEOUS!
:cool:

ravenclaw
Feb. 28, 2008, 05:12 PM
Curlin is approaching greatness...if he didn't achieve it already in the Breeder's Cup. :) Jess Jackson isn't my favorite person, but I am very appreciative that he didn't retire Curlin.

Wonder how much weight he will carry in the World Cup? It will be more than today, won't it?

DLee
Feb. 28, 2008, 05:23 PM
It looked almost like a schooling run or something to me. :lol: I do remember Robby saying after the race that he was a little rank at the start from being off so long but that he handled everything so well, he tapped him once on the shoulder with his whip when it was time. (Don't quote me on all that, that's just from memory!).

I feel so attached to this horse just from seeing him work at Keeneland and hanging out in the barn watching him walk and eat hay... silly I know, but there ya go.

Drvmb1ggl3
Feb. 28, 2008, 05:26 PM
Wonder how much weight he will carry in the World Cup? It will be more than today, won't it?

No, it's WFA, not a handicap.

SH 3yo: 54.5kg.
NH & SH 4yo+: 57kg
Mares get an allowance of 2kg.

texang73
Feb. 28, 2008, 07:18 PM
It looked almost like a schooling run or something to me. :lol: I do remember Robby saying after the race that he was a little rank at the start from being off so long but that he handled everything so well, he tapped him once on the shoulder with his whip when it was time. (Don't quote me on all that, that's just from memory!).

I feel so attached to this horse just from seeing him work at Keeneland and hanging out in the barn watching him walk and eat hay... silly I know, but there ya go.

He made it look EEEASY! Nice prep for him.

Linny
Feb. 28, 2008, 11:22 PM
Curlin will carry 126 for the DWC, so he'll get weight off.
Returning off the layoff (almost 4 mos.) flying to Dubai, carrying 132 and going 1 1/4 miles is a very big accomplishment.

miss_critic
Feb. 29, 2008, 01:42 AM
Robby took him off the rail to get him to relax. In his post race interview he told the interviewer that he could have ridden Curlin-it was cute. Mr. Assumssen was really uninspiring in the post race interview. What was amusing (for no other reason than we don't see it often at this level) was to see Blasi wearing the number shirt thing (sorry, don't know the technical name) and he and Ass. walking the horse in the paddock. Guess they didn't pack a groom? :)

I hate to admit it, but yeah, Curlin looked awesome. Disappointed Premium Tap probably won't start next month.

Oh, one other interesting thing they mentioned on the coverage. Supposedly the "experts" were saying Curlin should actually should of had a much higher spread but the highest weight a horse can carry there is 132 and lowest 117. Dettori couldn't ride the horse he normally rides (in that race) becauase he couldn't make the weight!

Linny
Feb. 29, 2008, 09:03 AM
Most of Curlin's rivals "should" have carried less, based on their international classification rating vs Curlin's. The problem is that the bottom weight for such a high handicap is 117. Also, it should be noted that while in the US the term "handicap horse" (not that it means much today) refers to a top quality older horse, a major stakes competitor, in most nations it means a horse below graded stakes quality. Most countries would never see a horse of Curlin's stature in a "handicap" race.
As for Assmussen, he's always like that. he's so soft spoken that he almost mumbles and it's rare to hear anything that sounds like bragging from him.
I think that they brought a groom, but in Dubai it's common for the assistant trainer to be the one walking the horse. Also, Blasi is '"he guy" in charge" regarding Curlin. he's hands on every day. Whenever I saw Curlin at Saratoga last summer, Scott was close at hand.

Glimmerglass
Feb. 29, 2008, 11:12 AM
Disappointed Premium Tap probably won't start next month.

Where is this being cited? We know he's dropped two consecutive races but I didn't see any confirmation of him skipping the DWC.

Drvmb1ggl3
Feb. 29, 2008, 12:05 PM
These were the official handicap ratings for the runners in the Jaguar Trophy yesterday..

Curlin 129
Familiar Territory 109
Engrupido 106
Jet Express 104
Arqaam 101
Imperialista 100

Here they are adjusted for racing weights, with Curlin carrying top weight of 132lbs

Curlin 132
Familiar Territory 112
Engrupido 109
Jet Express 107
Arqaam 104
Imperialista 103

So you can see that every horse bar Curlin was running "out of the handicap", some by as many as 14lbs.

As to Dettori, given his day job he would rarely ever need to ride below 8-10 (122lbs).

Glimmerglass
Feb. 29, 2008, 12:34 PM
As to Dettori, given his day job he would rarely ever need to ride below 8-10 (122lbs).

That day job wouldn't be cooking at Frankie's (http://www.frankiesitalianbarandgrill.com/) would it? :D Something slightly ironic about a jockey and running a food establishment.

miss_critic
Feb. 29, 2008, 12:58 PM
Where is this being cited? We know he's dropped two consecutive races but I didn't see any confirmation of him skipping the DWC.

On HRTV-showing Dubai coverage. I heard it twice. First the folks doing the show in Dubai (who are they?) interviewed the trainer a couple weeks ago, or maybe last week and he said it was unlikely and yesterday they listed the probables and had PT as a not probable, even though he was on the list.

Glimmerglass
Mar. 10, 2008, 12:14 PM
BloodHorse 3-10-08 "Curlin 'Awesome' in World Cup Workout" (http://racing.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=44002)

excerpt

Curlin arrived at the track around 7:30 a.m., emerging out of a blanket of fog that was beginning to burn off under the rising sun.

Although observers had a difficult time picking him up on the backstretch, the chestnut son of Smart Strike was timed in :37.23 for the first three furlongs, with a half-mile in :49.40.

Although the colt was a little keen in the early going of the Jaguar Trophy, he settled down, and the experience should benefit him and Albarado in the Dubai World Cup, sponsored by Emirates Airline.

“I think Curlin will be a lot more focused next time,” Blasi said.

Between the race and the workout, Curlin had what Blasi described as “a great week of training” that included another visit to the Nad Al Sheba starting gate and a schooling session in the paddock during racing on Super Thursday’s March 6 program.

“It was a good experience for him,” Blasi said. “We gave him several rounds in the walking ring with a lot of people on hand. We want him to feel comfortable and relaxed out there.”

Linny
Mar. 10, 2008, 01:12 PM
I added a new pic to my Curlin album. This was taken by my "man in Dubai" as Curlin worked.
http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/bb31/Linny999/Curlin/?action=tageditmany

Glimmerglass
Mar. 17, 2008, 03:04 PM
Another impressive workout:

Daily Racing Form 3-17-08 (http://www.drf.com/news/article/93024.html)

Curlin was at it again Monday morning at Nad al Sheba Racecourse in Dubai, wowing onlookers with a powerful six-furlong breeze, his big drill for his start March 29 in the $6 million Dubai World Cup.

Curlin, working alone with regular exercise rider Carmen "Carlos" Rosas in the irons, was clocked in 1:13.54 for 1,200 meters, or about six furlongs. Curlin started out slowly, going his first furlong in 13.40 seconds, but finished fast, coming home with a final furlong in 12.19.

Racing officials at Nad al Sheba are forecasting as many as 13 runners for the World Cup, which would equal the biggest field in the race's history. Curlin's stiffest competition could come from Asiatic Boy, Happy Boy, Jalil, Premium Tap, or Vermillion.

Texarkana
Mar. 17, 2008, 05:43 PM
What? They don't consider Great Hunter stiff competition?

<insert hysterical laughter>

:winkgrin:

On a more serious note, I thought Premium Tap was unlikely. But I forget where I read that.

Glimmerglass
Mar. 17, 2008, 08:39 PM
On a more serious note, I thought Premium Tap was unlikely. But I forget where I read that.

I thought it was off-handed remark made on HRTV during their coverage of Curlin's last race. Yes, he's dropped two races but I didn't think that precluded him from making this important start. It is not like he bombed like War Pass in his past efforts ;)

Glimmerglass
Mar. 24, 2008, 10:51 AM
Is ABC/ESPN going to air the Dubai World Cup race afterall?

I didn't see any promos during the Lane's End Stakes, as one would expect, and that suggests they aren't airing it. I preseume HRTV will air it but anyone else?

miss_critic
Mar. 24, 2008, 01:19 PM
I bet they'll show the replay during the FL Derby. ??? Maybe not. But you are right, they were planning on it at the beginning of the year. Remember I kept asking why the tv listings changed on NTRA.com? Well, they still don't have hrtv up on anything.

Glimmerglass
Mar. 24, 2008, 02:12 PM
Ye, the NTRA entry for the Dubai World Cup does not list any TV provider at all. Typically they'd at least cite HRTV, TVG, ESPN or the big three networks.

I concur that ESPN2 when airing the Fl Derby will invariably show the Dubai World Cup during the segment as it will have concluded many hours before.

miss_critic
Mar. 24, 2008, 06:55 PM
I swear, a few months ago it said espn!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glimmerglass
Mar. 26, 2008, 02:34 PM
Dubai World Cup post positions, with a field of 13, drawn

DRC news release 3-26 (http://www.dubairacingclub.com/?p=684)

Curlin will have to break new ground and become the first horse to win the Dubai World Cup, sponsored by Emirates, from stall 12, following the Post Position Draw Ceremony tonight.

1. Sway Yed
2. Well Armed (USA)
3. Happy Boy
4. Kocab
5. Great Hunter (USA)
6. Premium Tap
7. Vermillion
8. Jalil
9. Asiatic Boy
10. Lucky Find
11. Gloria De Campeao
12. Curlin (USA)
13. A. P. Arrow (USA)

UK Press 3-26-08 "Dettori - Curlin is beatable" (http://ukpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5jwIOCTuF8z4_IPOuTkHQprI-lu-A)

Dettori said: "I have been very impressed by Curlin. But he is beatable, every horse is beatable. But if the Curlin of the Breeders' Cup or Preakness Stakes turns up, then it is going to be very hard."

He added: "But he has had to travel a long way - it is different conditions on a different track. We have a good hand and we have to go out thinking we can beat him. But it is still there in black and white that he is rated 11lb higher than us and that tells its own story."

Trainer Saeed bin Suroor accepts Curlin is the one to beat but is confident Jalil can continue on the upgrade.

He said: "Curlin is a star and you could say he is the best horse in the race coming from America. I have a lot of respect for him, but Jalil is an improving horse all the time. With time he has improved and improved his record - that shows you that the horse is doing very well."

An aside on Curlin and dealing with the media from Wednesday March 26th (http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/dubai/archive/2008/03/26/Like-every-superstar_2C00_-Curlin-is-well-aware-of-the-presence-of-cameras.-While-he-usually-enjoys-posing_2C00_-sometimes-the-paparazzi-get-on-his-nerves_2E00_.aspx):

Slowing to a trot to join assistant trainer Scott Blasi aboard his pony, Pancho, Curlin was still charged up, displaying his intensity by reaching over and nipping Pancho.

Remaining electrified while walking with Pancho off the track, Curlin was greeted by more journalists and their equipment, including a British television commentator who walked alongside the strapping chestnut as a videographer taped her saying, "This is the world's best horse."

As if indicating his patience for the media was at an end, Curlin leapt up into the air slightly, giving an indication of what he could do if really provoked.

Yet the media persisted, with one European photographer running ahead and shooting while standing near a scrubby desert bush.

"He could have been dead," Rosas said of the photographer, noting that the man was lucky Curlin did not strike out with a well aimed kick.

"He wouldn't have done it to be mean," Blasi explained. "But you can't get a horse ready for the race of his life and not expect him to feel good and express it."

Everything about Curlin's body language is telling his team that he is honed for Saturday's $6 million race.

"He's acting like we want him to do coming into a big race," Blasi said. "His energy level is good, especially after we teased him a little with that half-mile work. He knows he's ready."

Beezer
Mar. 26, 2008, 05:54 PM
The Blood Horse has a wonderful blog going on Curlin; it's well done and really gives you an "up close and personal" view of the goings-on. The primary focus is Curlin, of course, but the writer also travel-blogs a bit about the country itself. It's worth the read. :yes:

Does anyone know, roughly, how much it would cost to go to the World Cup? (As a spectator, I mean. :p )

loshad
Mar. 26, 2008, 06:04 PM
Beezer, we went a couple of years ago and I think our grandstand seats were somewhere in the $150 range. I can't remember the exact amount. We had a friend living there and ourselves lived a cheap flight away in Bombay, so it ended up costing less than it would have to go to the Derby. I don't even want to think what it would have cost coming from the U.S.

miss_critic
Mar. 26, 2008, 10:33 PM
6. Premium Tap

I know!!! That's great! Although it isn't comforting that they were on the fence.

Linny
Mar. 27, 2008, 09:58 AM
The Blood Horse has a wonderful blog going on Curlin; it's well done and really gives you an "up close and personal" view of the goings-on. The primary focus is Curlin, of course, but the writer also travel-blogs a bit about the country itself. It's worth the read. :yes:

Does anyone know, roughly, how much it would cost to go to the World Cup? (As a spectator, I mean. :p )

The writer of the blog is a good friend of mine. I want her job!

vineyridge
Mar. 27, 2008, 02:53 PM
Is the Carnival going to be on TV in the US?

Glimmerglass
Mar. 27, 2008, 03:06 PM
Is the Carnival going to be on TV in the US?

Only HRTV will air it live. So as someone else quipped - "all of six people will get to see it" :)

Most likely the balance of us will have to settle for seeing it on the internet afterwards. When Curlin ran in the Jaguar Trophy in Duabi the replay was available on the Dubai Racing Club site within a few hours. ESPN2 might air the replay during the Florida Derby but thats more doubtful then not.

Glimmerglass
Mar. 27, 2008, 07:55 PM
Stop the Presses: TVG WILL NOW AIR THE DUBAI WORLD CUP TOO (http://racing.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=44273)

TVG announced March 27 it reached a "last-minute agreement" to feature live coverage of the March 29 Dubai World Cup from Nad al Sheba Racecourse in Dubai of the United Arab Emirates.

TVG’s coverage includes the major stakes races on the Dubai World Cup card, including the Dubai World Cup (UAE-I), Godolphin Mile (UAE-II), UAE Derby (UAE-II), Dubai Golden Shaheen (UAE-I), Dubai Duty Free (UAE-IT), and the Dubai Sheema Classic (UAE-IT).

TVG’s Dubai World Cup coverage, beginning at 10:30 a.m. EST, will be hosted by Todd Schrupp, who will be joined by Simon Bray and jockey Corey Nakatani. Bray was the assistant trainer for Bill Mott when Cigar captured the 1996 inaugural running of the Dubai World Cup. Nakatani has ridden several times at Nad al Sheba and won the 2001 Golden Shaheen aboard Caller One.

“TVG is thrilled to deliver the world’s richest horse race featuring Curlin to more homes than any other network in the country,” said Tony Allevato, TVG’s executive producer, in a news release. “We are extremely grateful to the Dubai Racing Club. Without its efforts, our coverage would not be possible.”

miss_critic
Mar. 27, 2008, 10:21 PM
I got one that is going to make even more folks happy :)

The World Cup, contested at 2,000 meters (about 1 1/4 miles), is the last of seven races Saturday night. The card's opener is for Arabians, followed by three dirt races, and two awesome grass stakes - the $5 million Duty Free and the $5 million Sheema Classic. Post time for the first Thoroughbred race is 9:40 a.m. Eastern in the U.S. The World Cup is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. Eastern and will be broadcast on tape delay at 2:30 on ABC. The races can be seen live on HorseRacing TV and TVG and on many online wagering platforms and will be streamed in real time on espn360.com. U.S. bettors can play the World Cup online or at simulcasting facilities.

dressagetraks
Mar. 28, 2008, 08:09 AM
That's 2:30 Eastern? On Saturday?

Yippee!

Glimmerglass
Mar. 28, 2008, 10:25 AM
I too saw that DRF citation that ABC will be airing it on a delay. I suspect that will be picked up by ABC stations on a select basis.

Consulting my DVR for Comcast here (which is updated daily) it shows that WLS-ABC7 here for the Chicago market is airing some Nashville battle of the stars (?) between 1 pm and 2 pm with Skiing/Snowboarding from 2 pm on. Such is the risk of last-minute programing.

If ABC has the rights then I'd presume that the Dubai classic 2-min and some change long race will be aired at some point during the 1-hour ESPN2 broadcast of the Florida Derby on Saturday.

Dekalb
Mar. 29, 2008, 02:34 PM
Spoiler.

It seems that Curlin has just taken the Dubai World Cup by five or six lengths. Congratulations to him and his connections!

DLee
Mar. 29, 2008, 02:38 PM
O.M.G. That was soooo awesome!! He looked spectacular on his way to the paddock, all braided even, and I swear looked ready to go round again, I love this magnificent looking horse. :yes:

Lamma70
Mar. 29, 2008, 02:41 PM
wow! That is awesome! I knew he could do it! Is the race posted anywhere yet?

WindyIsles
Mar. 29, 2008, 02:45 PM
*waves her Curlin flags*

dressagetraks
Mar. 29, 2008, 03:03 PM
Congrats to Curlin and his team.

Now, if my local ABC will just show the thing! I have ABC turned on and waiting to start taping if it comes on. Right now, there is an infomercial about vacuum cleaners. If that's a sample of what they have on lineup for this afternoon, surely they can squeeze in the WC.

98neigh
Mar. 29, 2008, 03:34 PM
well ACB in the Tampa area (regular antenna TV) is a POS. Thanks I'm looking at some excercise devise paid programming. Saw in my internet scroll Curlin was the winner. crap

dressagetraks
Mar. 29, 2008, 03:39 PM
No go with my ABC. They are now showing Outdoor Bob or something like that, with tips on "goin' huntin'" Sigh.

pinkdiamondracing
Mar. 29, 2008, 03:44 PM
O.M.G. That was soooo awesome!! He looked spectacular on his way to the paddock, all braided even, and I swear looked ready to go round again, I love this magnificent looking horse. :yes:

Curlin is braided each and every time he runs-- Scott does it himself and they look AMAZING!!!! I tried to get him to show me his secret when we were stalled next to him for the Belmont, but he said he would show me some time when we weren't running against each other, --guess I should go get my lesson while he's here at Keeneland!! LOL

Linny
Mar. 29, 2008, 07:28 PM
Assmussen's horses are always braided. How about the "saddling stall" he was in? Unlike the US where horses saddle in 3 sided "stalls" slightly larger than a standing stall, in Dubai they are in "loose boxes" which are about 20 x 20 feet! Assmussen was chasing him around to get the tack fitted!

Laurel&HollyFarm
Mar. 29, 2008, 08:35 PM
WOOOOHOOOO! CURLIN!!!

DLee
Mar. 29, 2008, 08:41 PM
So when did they take half the braids out? Cause I swear he was fully braided when I first saw him.

Linny
Mar. 29, 2008, 09:58 PM
Jocks usually unbraid the bottom half in the post parade.

miss_critic
Mar. 29, 2008, 10:47 PM
It is funny because I realized when I think about Curlin, I don't just say Curlin. I have to say WOOOOHOOOO! CURLIN!!! bc of this thread :)

Beezer
Mar. 30, 2008, 12:21 AM
Color me -- finally! -- a believer. I adored Street Sense, but now I must bow down before this awesome athlete. What a horse! :yes:

blue&blond
Mar. 30, 2008, 12:27 AM
Ah.....what a horse, what a horse.

Drvmb1ggl3
Mar. 30, 2008, 01:37 AM
So the BC Classic in late Oct is the obvious goal that he will be pointed towards this year. So what happens in the meantime? Is the next seven months a series of three, four maybe five preps where he beats up on what is realistically a very weak older dirt horse division in North America? God that would get boring fast.

Would love to see them get a bit adventurous with this horse, switch surfaces for a race or two, try the Manhattan, the Man O' War or the Arlington Million. I think he'd be as big a monster on grass as he is on dirt. His pedigree certainly suggests he could do it.
Hell, even go a step further and point him at one of the big European WFA races. Maybe the Arc is too ambitous, and too close to the BC, but the Prince of Wales, the Eclipse, the Juddmonte or the Irish Champion Stakes would be perfect, all 10 to 10.5f and plenty of time to get back in the US to get ready for the BC Classic.

Atypical
Mar. 30, 2008, 01:48 AM
Is there video?

Linny
Mar. 30, 2008, 10:58 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnIUcVO-BYY

You tube!

Acertainsmile
Mar. 30, 2008, 11:02 AM
So when did they take half the braids out? Cause I swear he was fully braided when I first saw him.

The jocks will pull out the lower braids, so that they have something to grab leaving the gate!

miss_critic
Mar. 30, 2008, 11:36 AM
I bet we have to wait till late summer early fall for Curlin to come back. Maybe 3 races? My bet is the Goodwood will be his BC prep if you trust their "2nd time running" theory.

I agree it would be neat to see him try grass and even Europe but he has good grass breeding and they probably stand more to lose by trying it than not.

For now we just have to hope he stays healthy. Last year this time we were pretty excited about Invasor and look what happened. This horse has run great races but I don't think he is great yet. Cigar had to run a lot more races to make that money so passing his mark means nothing to me. I think Invasor whips Curlin :)

Texarkana
Mar. 30, 2008, 04:36 PM
My two cents, and I know for logistical reasons it probably won't happen--

Instead of just calling it quits with the BC Classic, I'd love to see them head to Japan for the Dirt Cup. It's a shame the races are placed so closely together. And I guess the $2mil+ Japan Cup Dirt purse would seem like chump change after the World Cup and the BC Classic.

Texarkana
Mar. 30, 2008, 04:39 PM
I also just wanted to add, I'm sure poor Poncho is going to be sad to come back to KY next week. Poncho the pony got more press coverage for the World Cup than most of the runners! :lol:

texang73
Mar. 30, 2008, 08:00 PM
Great race, great horse!!! :D

rcloisonne
Mar. 30, 2008, 08:26 PM
What -A- Horse!

pinkdiamondracing
Mar. 30, 2008, 08:52 PM
I also just wanted to add, I'm sure poor Poncho is going to be sad to come back to KY next week. Poncho the pony got more press coverage for the World Cup than most of the runners! :lol:

I agree--poor Pancho:(-- six weeks of leisure, now it's back to work, babysittin all the horses that go to the track everyday, instead of just keepin track of one--and poor Carlos too, now he's back to gettin on a crapload of horses everyday, instead of only having one to get on!!!:no:

horselips
Mar. 31, 2008, 08:32 AM
I saw the race on TVG, and I swear the close-up shot the camera had was astounding! You could actually see Curlin eye-balling the horses to the inside of him as he tracked in 3rd just behind and to the outside of the leaders going around the final turn.

He really looked amazing all nostrils a-flare and left eye blazing at those horses. You could just tell he was planning to eat them alive in another few strides.

RedEqHunter
Mar. 31, 2008, 11:08 AM
Wow, he was amazing pulling that off somewhat wide all the way! At first I started to freak out thinking he was "frozen" and wouldn't make a move. What was I thinking? He rolled away like they weren't there! :) What a great horse.

It's nice to see one sticking around - putting in a great performance from the Derby preps last year (even though he was lightly raced), a Triple Crown display, through the summer, obviously the Breeder's Cup, and STILL going strong...

I guess he's my new Lawyer Ron, albeit a bit more classy I have to admit.

Beezer
Mar. 31, 2008, 04:13 PM
So, having just watched the replay a bunch of times, what the heck was going on with Premium Tap (observed on those few occasions when I wasn't watching Curlin :winkgrin:)? He really looked rank in a couple of spots; near the turn it almost looked like he took some bad steps and the jock was really pulling on him, but he continued running. Any ideas?

It sounds as though The Big Horse is going to get some time off before a summer campaign starts. But I agree, he needs some new horses to beat up on. :p Love the idea of him going to Europe, but not sure that would aid Jess Jackson's stated mission to re-enthuse the American public about racing; unfortunately, I fear Curlin has to race here to get the attention he so richly deserves in the mainstream U.S. media. His amazing win in the World Cup barely rated a mention in notes on the inside pages of the major papers. :no:

miss_critic
Mar. 31, 2008, 11:03 PM
My two cents, and I know for logistical reasons it probably won't happen--

Instead of just calling it quits with the BC Classic, I'd love to see them head to Japan for the Dirt Cup. It's a shame the races are placed so closely together. And I guess the $2mil+ Japan Cup Dirt purse would seem like chump change after the World Cup and the BC Classic.

Have you lost your mind?????????? :D

Maybeapril
Apr. 1, 2008, 06:16 PM
It is funny because I realized when I think about Curlin, I don't just say Curlin. I have to say WOOOOHOOOO! CURLIN!!! bc of this thread :)

So funny! Me too!:yes:

Glimmerglass
Apr. 7, 2008, 06:42 PM
While it is still not yet resolved the final time in the Dubai World Cup (http://www.drf.com/news/article/93434.html) (see the thread on it with timing errors by the DRC), Curlin is back in the US and stabled at Keeneland.

Maybe I'll get to see him :) DRF 4-7-08 (http://www.drf.com/news/article/93507.html)

Curlin was out for training Monday for the first time since his Dubai World Cup victory, having an easy morning gallop over the main Polytrack surface at Keeneland in Lexington, Ky.

The 2007 Horse of the Year, Curlin had arrived the previous day at about noon following a flight from New York, where he had spent several days in quarantine after flying back from Dubai.

"I just wanted to let him out today," said trainer Steve Asmussen. "We let him stretch his legs, let him know he's still a horse. I wanted to see how he traveled, how he felt, and he went great."

Asmussen said he is undecided when the next race for Curlin will be. He said the 4-year-old colt might work once at Keeneland before moving to Churchill Downs with the rest of Asmussen's main string a week or so before the May 3 Kentucky Derby.

Glimmerglass
Apr. 17, 2008, 06:22 PM
20% stake in Curlin to be turned over to the 400+ plantiffs who successfully sued the original owners of Curlin. They don't want to own him so that stake will be sold (to Jess Jackson, I assume) in very short order ...

DRF 4-17-08 "Judge says he will rule for Curlin plaintiffs" (http://www.drf.com/news/article/93764.html)

A Franklin County judge said on Wednesday he will soon rule that the assets held by incarcerated attorneys William Gallion and Shirley Cunningham should be turned over to the plaintiffs that have successfully sued the two lawyers. The assets include a 20 percent stake in 2007 Horse of the Year Curlin.

Judge Roger Crittenden told the attorney for the plaintiffs, Angela Ford, that he will issue the ruling in several weeks, in response to a motion that Ford filed asking the court to declare that 10 limited-liability companies affiliated with Gallion and Cunningham are "mere alter egos or instrumentalities" of the two lawyers, who have been in jail since late last year on Crittenden's order. One of the companies, Tandy LLC, owns the share in Curlin, through a nom du course called Midnight Cry Stables.

"My clients don't want to take over the ownership of any property, so we would look to liquidate those assets to cash, where possible," Ford said. "However, if it turns out that ownership of an asset is far more beneficial than liquidation, than we would consider that. But we have a long way to go before we make that decision."

Richard Getty, an attorney who represents Stonestreet Stables, said on Wednesday that "quite obviously, Stonestreet would exercise any rights granted to it under the agreement covering ownership of Curlin." Though Getty would not confirm or deny that the agreement includes a right of first refusal - which would allow Stonestreet to match any offer made by another party to buy the interest - it has previously been reported that the right exists.

Sounds like just perhaps someone can run up the price JJ will be paying for that 20% stake ;)

Kenike
Apr. 18, 2008, 09:47 PM

LOL!! That's awesome!! :lol: :winkgrin:

So if I ever see him in another race (televised....I'm not able to get around to the tracks in my location) and I hear anyone in the background yell WOOOOHOOOO CURLIN!!!! I can puff my chest a bit :winkgrin:

(I'm kidding, of course)

98neigh
Apr. 19, 2008, 09:30 AM
"Sounds like just perhaps someone can run up the price JJ will be paying for that 20% stake"

Ha ha ha - then he'll sue these plaintiffs!!! I don't think I'd sell my .00000001% share if I was involved.

Glimmerglass
Apr. 29, 2008, 01:15 PM
Equidaily.com for Monday April 28th had extracted this from a discussion with Steve Asmussen:

Is the Arc in Curlin's future? Interviewed this weekend by host Mark Cusano on Capital OTB-TV's 'Down the Stretch', Steve Asmussen indicated that a trip to France this fall is possible for the reigning HOTY:

Cusano: "Have you mapped out any tentative plans for [Curlin]?"
Asmussen: "I think the debate needs to be with where the Breeders' Cup's run this year -- what kind of track they decide to put down at Santa Anita, and then if that's acceptable, if we want to move towards that or have an alternative goal for the rest of the his year. I believe that he physically can do about anything we ask of him so another trip out of the country is not impossible."
Cusano:: "A race out of the country -- I guess the first thing that would come to mind is something like the Arc d'Triomphe. Is that under any consideration? Are you looking to possibly test him on turf?"
Asmussen: "That is a race that Mr Jackson has mentioned."

It seems to suggest that with the Santa Anita surface proving to be, like Keenelands, not overly kind to east coast dirt horses that perhaps more greener pastures can be found over the Breeders' Cup Classic. Secretariat's last race was on grass in Canada so maybe Curlin's connections too will try such a switch instead.

Glimmerglass
May. 2, 2008, 04:27 PM
Not sure if NBC Sports will take advantage of this (but assume ESPN's lead up to the Derby coverage plus TVG and HRTV too) but Curlin will take to the track before the Kentucky Derby for parade lap before the 5th race at CD:

Curlin to Take a Bow at This Saturday's Kentucky Derby (http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/05-02-2008/0004805053&EDATE=)

Fresh off his impressive 7 3/4 length win at the Dubai World Cup on March 29, Curlin, the 2007 Horse of the Year, will make a special appearance during the 134th Kentucky Derby this Saturday. Fans will have a chance to view Curlin parade on the track and head into the paddock area prior to the fifth race.

A special announcement regarding Curlin's future will be made on Derby Day.

Texarkana
May. 2, 2008, 04:50 PM
A cute gesture, but it makes me chuckle. Curlin never even won anything at Churchill Downs. It would make more sense for them to have invited Funny Cide out for a victory lap if Tagg had brought him along. And have they ever invited any of the other American Dubai World Cup winners to take a pre-derby victory lap? No.

But hey, Curlin ran back as a 4 year old... that's probably his biggest accomplishment for the sport!

I hope the "special announcement" of his future plans doesn't mean retirement. That seems to be the only logical reason they would do something like this.

Barnfairy
May. 2, 2008, 05:00 PM
A cute gesture, but it makes me chuckle. Curlin never even won anything at Churchill Downs. It would make more sense for them to have invited Funny Cide out for a victory lap if Tagg had brought him along. And have they ever invited any of the other American Dubai World Cup winners to take a pre-derby victory lap? No.

But hey, Curlin ran back as a 4 year old... that's probably his biggest accomplishment for the sport!

I hope the "special announcement" of his future plans doesn't mean retirement. That seems to be the only logical reason they would do something like this.I agree with you 100%.

Kenike
May. 2, 2008, 05:04 PM
I hate to speculate, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a retirement announcement. It seems when "special" appearances with announcement are made, in any sport, that it's for a retirement. But that's just an "I wouldn't be surprised" guess. Certainly not concrete.

That said, even with the fact he never actually won anything at CD, I'll still be thrilled to see him. I love this horse!

Glimmerglass
May. 2, 2008, 05:07 PM
I hate to speculate, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a retirement announcement.

I sincerely doubt it. The press release was done by Kendal Jackson Wines not the stable. So I wouldn't doubt if they are going to do something like a limited edition wine in his honor.

Texarkana
May. 2, 2008, 05:09 PM
That said, even with the fact he never actually won anything at CD, I'll still be thrilled to see him. I love this horse!

Don't get me wrong. I sounded cynical... I don't mean to be so cynical. I'm happy to get an extra chance to see Curlin too! The circumstances are just silly to me. :winkgrin:

Barnfairy
May. 2, 2008, 05:10 PM
I sincerely doubt it. The press release was done by Kendal Jackson Wines not the stable. So I wouldn't doubt if they are going to do something like a limited edition wine in his honor.Ah. Now that makes sense.

Texarkana
May. 2, 2008, 05:11 PM
That does make more sense now...

Drvmb1ggl3
May. 2, 2008, 05:14 PM
He's the numero Uno horse in the world, by a country mile, so I think it's a nice move to give him a little parade in front of the fans. Keeps his profile out there, which can't hurt racing.

All this talk of him heading to Longchamp in Oct is mouthwatering stuff... dare to dream. I wonder if Steve's brother Cash has been stoking the fire on that one. His experience and connections would be invaluable if such a trip did come to fruition.

Kenike
May. 2, 2008, 05:18 PM
I sincerely doubt it. The press release was done by Kendal Jackson Wines not the stable. So I wouldn't doubt if they are going to do something like a limited edition wine in his honor.

Now that makes sense! Much more sense, actually.

Texarkana, no cyinicism taken :)

Glimmerglass
May. 2, 2008, 05:40 PM
All this talk of him heading to Longchamp in Oct is mouthwatering stuff... dare to dream. I wonder if Steve's brother Cash has been stoking the fire on that one. His experience and connections would be invaluable if such a trip did come to fruition.

Agreed. I tend to lean towards the thinking of him going to Europe for a big campaign. Not sure if they've tested him on the turf behind closed doors. As I cited with the Santa Anita synthetic track doing the BCC might be something they'd want to avoid.

Beezer
May. 2, 2008, 05:45 PM

Curlin Chardonnay? Sparkling Curlin? Two Buck Curlin?

The taste buds can't wait. :p

Linny
May. 2, 2008, 05:53 PM
Steve Asmussen has indicated that another overseas trip could be in the offing. The Arc has been mentioned.

Kenike
May. 2, 2008, 05:55 PM
Hmmm, here's a thought. If it is to be something in the likes of a limited edition wine, what does that do for those of us who have sort of boycotted Kendal Jackson Wines because we don't like the owner??

Dilemma: get the wine because we love the horse so much? Or skip the wine because we hate the owner so much?

Glimmerglass
May. 2, 2008, 06:06 PM
If it is to be something in the likes of a limited edition wine, what does that do for those of us who have sort of boycotted Kendal Jackson Wines because we don't like the owner?

Not that I'm a wine snob, but I think his wines are swill, pure and simple just like E&J. I won't drink it or buy it :)

I'm happy with drinking Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc (http://www.kimcrawfordwines.co.nz/) on any given day. Despite the suggestions of it being a family-owned winery in NZ it is actually owned by massive Constellation brands (http://www.winespiritsdaily.com/2008/01/constellation-fully-acquires-effen.html) - which acquired it along with Chicago-created Effen vodka. In fact I know a couple of the creators of that latter brand.

Kenike
May. 2, 2008, 06:15 PM
Doesn't sound snobby to me, don't worry. I'm one who appreciates te GOOD stuff, too. I'm not even sure I've ever even had a KJ wine....but given the owner's, uhh, attributes, I'm fine with that :)

But what if it IS a Curlin-specific one? hmmm...

Glimmerglass
May. 2, 2008, 06:26 PM
As I cited once before, I've only found once in a wine store - and that was in Bermuda no less - Steele Stymie - in honor of the legendary horse (http://www.steelewines.com/wines/stymie.htm) which made the winery family "wealthy":

In 1950 Jed’s father, a newspaperman, wagered a bet on Stymie that paid off well. So well, in fact, that the winnings financed the Steele family’s move from New York to San Francisco.

Glimmerglass
May. 3, 2008, 03:55 PM
ESPN showed Curlin walking the course - he looked quite lovely.

As for the "news" nothing was cited. Perhaps Jess has reached a settlement on acquiring the minority stake? Nothing is found on the news wires so I can't think it is anything earth shattering :)

DLee
May. 3, 2008, 04:27 PM
I guess I'm a wine hick, I've always like KJ Chardonnay.

Kenike
May. 3, 2008, 05:11 PM
I missed it?? Damn

All because a house in my neighborhood was foreclosed on and the idiots left a cat behind.

HuntrJumpr
May. 4, 2008, 03:41 PM
Was there actually any big announcement?

Calico
May. 4, 2008, 03:51 PM
It was neat to see Curlin, really like the idea of publicity appearances. But I kept wanting to reach through the screen and straighten out his sheet!

Texarkana
May. 4, 2008, 03:58 PM
There's a video of it up on The Bloodhorse, with them rolling out the red carpet and all. ;)

http://www.bloodhorse.com/videos/Default.aspx?vsid=ED2FF0BE-10C6-4112-9B60-EB466F573DF8

No special announcement that I've heard, though.

Drvmb1ggl3
May. 5, 2008, 10:16 PM
Interesting bit in the Racing Post about the big red guy. Jess Jackson is starting to sound like the sportsmen of yesteryear. Pretty cool.

CURLIN'S connections are considering an ambitious international campaign for the world's top-rated racehorse – including the exciting possibility of a trip to Europe to run on the turf in the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe.

The hugely talented four-year-old, last seen inimperious winning form at the Dubai World Cup, paraded in the paddock during Saturday's Kentucky Derby card at Churchill Downs, where he is stabled with trainer Steve Asmussen's string.

Curlin, who entered the paddock via a red carpet covering the equine walkway, is likely to run next in the Stephen Foster Handicap, a Grade 1 at Churchill on June 14.

However, owner Jess Jackson raised the idea of trying the best dirt horse in the world on grass, with the Arc one of the targets mentioned.

“I'd love to continue to take Curlin to new places where horses from the United States don't normally race, like the Arc or the Japan Cup, both for his legacy and well as to plant the US flag just as did in Dubai,” Jackson told the Daily Racing Form.

“I'm a patriot and that was the primary purpose of bringing him to the World Cup. I think we need a little boost for Kentucky, for the USA, particularly in the Middle East. It wasn't about the money.

“And today I wanted to show him off in Kentucky ,” added Jackson. “That's where he was born. Kentucky should be very proud that we're still the centre of the equine industry worldwide.”

Glimmerglass
May. 6, 2008, 08:48 PM
Looks like Curlin will run in the Grade 1, $750,000 Stephen Foster Handicap on June 14 at Churchill Downs ... but Churchill is having a very hard time generating any would be foes for the race :)

Source: DRF 5-6-08 "Prospect of Curlin proves daunting" (http://drf.com/news/article/94317.html)

Texarkana
May. 7, 2008, 10:30 AM
Since they've announced this over the weekend, I've been scratching my head wondering who's going to show up.

I think the best to hope for is some CA-shippers...

Glimmerglass
May. 10, 2008, 06:57 PM
Not confirmed he'll run in the Arc but he's one of the nominations

DRF 5-10-08 "Curlin tops Arc nominees" (http://drf.com/news/article/94449.html)

excerpt

The 4-year-old Steve Asmussen-trained Curlin is tentatively scheduled to make his first start since the World Cup in the Stephen Foster Stakes at Churchill Downs on June 14, but principal owner Jess Jackson is keen to further enhance his champion's record by running in more major foreign races. In addition to the Arc, which will be run at Longchamp on Oct. 5 at 1 1/2 miles on turf, Curlin is being considered for the Japan Cup at Tokyo Racecourse on Nov. 30.

This year is the first time that the Arc, widely regarded as the most important race in Europe, will be sponsored by Qatar, the tiny, oil-rich state on the Persian Gulf 230 miles northwest of Dubai. Their partnership with France-Galop will double the Arc's purse from 2omillion euros to 4 million euros, which, at Friday's currency rates, would make the Arc the richest race in the world in U.S. dollars at $6,172,800.

Texarkana
May. 10, 2008, 07:53 PM
WOOHOO!!!!

And did I not say I wanted to see Curlin go to Japan??

I love it when his connections listen to me! :lol:

Jess Jackson deserves a sportsman of the year award. (Never thought I'd utter those words in this lifetime...)

gubbyz
May. 11, 2008, 12:54 AM
Will Curlin have to run the opposite way in Europe or Japan? And how well do our horses fare when they have to do that?

Drvmb1ggl3
May. 11, 2008, 01:43 AM
Will Curlin have to run the opposite way in Europe or Japan? And how well do our horses fare when they have to do that?

The Arc is at Longchamp (http://www.fg.lescourseshippiques.com/pages/plans/245.jpg), which is righthanded. It has one big sweeping turn, with a smaller slight turn into the straight.
The Japan Cup (the big one, the one of grass) is run at Tokyo racecourse (http://japanracing.jp/course/j01.html), which is a 1¼m lefthanded oval, with undulations.
The Japan Cup Dirt moves around, so I'm not sure where it is this year.

I would think that if he went to Japan he would run in the Japan Cup (12f), and not the Japan Cup Dirt(10.5f). The latter does not carry the same cache, he would basically be beating up on Japanese dirt horses which are generally a notch below the the US standard. in the Japan Cup he would be taking on the best Japanese turf horses, which are as good as any in the world, and there are usually top European contenders there also. It's one of the world's great races.

Given that few US horses ship, except to Dubai which is lefthanded, there's not much form to go when it comes to righthanded racing. The Ken McPeek trained Hard Buck did manage a good 2nd in the King George a few years ago going to the right, but he had raced in South America before McPeek brought him to the US, so may have already had experience with running righthanded.
I really don't think it would be an issue at Longchamp, the turns are very gentle. Here's a replay of the 2005 Arc (http://youtube.com/watch?v=EP2TINKrxPM) to give an idea what it's like.

A more pertinent question might be how is likely to handle the going. The Arc is often run on soft ground, which would be closer to what would be considered heavy going in the US.

Glimmerglass
May. 11, 2008, 06:11 PM
Wasn't it the Japan Cup where John Henry had the worst performance of his life under trainer Ron McAnally?

I think it is great to continue to race Curlin on the international stage. It far beats doing "little" races like the Foster where he might get at best 2 legit challengers and a few other sacrifical runners.

Glimmerglass
Jun. 2, 2008, 11:21 AM
Solid work this morning before this race a couple weeks out ...

June 2, 2008 "Curlin works strongly for Foster" (http://drf.com/news/article/95095.html)

Working in company with stablemate Sonoma Cat, and with regular exercise rider Carmen Rosas aboard, Curlin was kept closest to the rail when breaking off at the seven-furlong pole on the clubhouse turn. He maintained a slight advantage through splits of 12.95, 25.13, 37.16, 48.92, and 1:00.57, then began lengthening his stride and margin through the final quarter-mile, hitting the furlong pole in 1:12.51 and the wire in 1:24.74 while about six lengths ahead of his workmate. He galloped out a mile in 1:37.74 and 1 1/8 miles in 1:51.67.

The Foster, one of six stakes to be run here June 14, is expected to get only a handful of challengers for Curlin. Among the other prospects for the 1 1/8-mile race are Grasshopper, Jonesboro, Brass Hat, Sam P., and the Asmussen-trained Red Rock Creek. Nominations for all six Foster Day stakes closed Saturday.

Glimmerglass
Jun. 4, 2008, 05:37 PM
I suppose they've bumped this up to keep Curlin on track and also give would-be entrants reason to follow through as the place and show positions still will pay well ....

BloodHorse June 4, 2008 "Stephen Foster Purse Could Hit $1 Million" (http://racing.bloodhorse.com/article/45557.htm)

The Stephen Foster Handicap (1 1/8mi) has carried a purse of $750,000 since 1998. Churchill Downs will supplement the purse for the June 14 Stephen Foster Handicap (gr. I) to $1 million if at least one grade I winner starts in the race.

Glimmerglass
Jun. 5, 2008, 11:24 AM
Interesting aside -- (http://drf.com/news/article/95174.html)

It appears the top notch turf runner Einstein, owned by the much tained Midnight Cry Stables, cannot effectively race in New York State. This due to MCS part owner Shirley Cunningham (still in jail) having allowed his owner's license (for NY) lapse and has not renewed it.

In his last two starts, both in Kentucky, Einstein ran under the names of Patricia Cunningham - the wife of Shirley Cunningham - and Melissa Green, who were listed as lessees of the horse. According to New York rules, both the lessors and lessees of a horse must be licensed in New York.

So this mean [from my interpretation] that Curlin - until the transferal of the remaining 20% of ownership to someone other than Midnight Cry Stables - cannot be raced in New York State either. Thus no Saratoga or Jockey Club Gold Cup matchups with anyone until then ....

Glimmerglass
Jun. 7, 2008, 08:50 PM
Is this a joke? Bitching about a 128-lb weight assignment? Give me a freaking break!

DRF 06-07-08 "Curlin given 128 for Foster; Asmussen unhappy" (http://drf.com/news/article/95299.html)

“It might eliminate us from running,” Asmussen said. “They” – meaning Churchill Downs – “may have outsmarted themselves again.”

Kelso must be rolling over in his grave and Exterminator is chuckling at a lightweight 128-lbs being assigned

Drvmb1ggl3
Jun. 7, 2008, 08:53 PM
So why did they enter him in a handicap if they're afraid to carry weight? Seriously, that's what WFA races are for. It makes a mockery of the idea of an idea of handicap if they don't assign proper penalties.

danceronice
Jun. 7, 2008, 08:58 PM
Somewhere, Citation is laughing. Hard.

miss_critic
Jun. 8, 2008, 12:34 PM
This thread needs more focus!!

What the hell is wrong with 128 lbs? That is only 2 more than what he carried in the KD. What babies. If they pull out of this bc of that, they will be doing themselves a lot of harm as far as history goes. As far as I am concerned, Curlin should be carrying more!

I read that they might consider putting Perfect Drift in here. While his last race was encouraging, doesn't this seem a bit overzelous? And Einstein? This is one of the best grass horses in the country, why would they do this? How sweet it would be though, eh?

Drvmb1ggl3
Jun. 8, 2008, 02:18 PM
So what exactly is Assmussen complaining about, is it the 128lbs or is it the amount of weight he is giving away to the field?
If he runs in the Prix de l'Arc, as Jackson supposedly wants him to do, he will have to carry 131lbs.

miss_critic
Jun. 8, 2008, 02:33 PM
I'm not sure which it is. Good point.

Do we all agree the weight is deserverd either way?

Kenike
Jun. 8, 2008, 02:35 PM
Oh give me a break :rolleyes:

Glimmerglass
Jun. 8, 2008, 02:35 PM
So what exactly is Assmussen complaining about, is it the 128lbs or is it the amount of weight he is giving away to the field?

It could be the latter, although I'm reading between the lines.

Churchill Downs racing secretary Ben Huffman said the weight was fair.

“He’s won the Breeders’ Cup, reeled off four in a row, took the Jockey Club, and easily beat Dubai World Cup horses,” Huffman said. “It’s a lot of weight, but he’s a lot of horse.”

Huffman said he didn’t feel pressure to conservatively assign weight to Curlin, even after Churchill Downs has heavily marketed Curlin’s expected appearance in the race in recent weeks. He said Curlin needed to be weighted appropriately to ensure participation from other horses.

Other horses under consideration for the Foster, a 1 1/8-mile dirt race, include Student Council (120 pounds), Einstein (118), Grasshopper (117), Brass Hat (116), Delightful Kiss (114), Jonesboro (114), Barcola (113), High Blues (113), Red Rock Creek (113) and Sam P. (113).

With the section in bold above I have gotten this sense that Curlin's camp somewhat wanted almost an automatic "check for the appearance" type of deal. Having to work for his dinner being only agreeable to the Curlin crew if the race is a big one and impressive on his record - as the Arc or Arlington Million would be.

Drvmb1ggl3
Jun. 8, 2008, 02:40 PM
Hell yeah it's deserved. He's the Number ONE ranked horse in the world, by a country mile, and he's only giving away 15lbs to some no name horses. That's nothing. Here's the weights for the Foster.

Curlin 128lbs
Student Council 120lbs,
Einstein 118lbs
Grasshopper 117lbs
Brass Hat 116lbs
Delightful Kiss 114lbs
Jonesboro 114lbs
Barcola 113lbs
High Blues 113lbs
Red Rock Creek 113lbs
Sam P. 113lbs

Btw, he carried over 130lb in his prep race in Dubai.

Texarkana
Jun. 8, 2008, 02:41 PM
I think Asmussen was already looking for a way out and the weight assignments can now be his (bad) excuse. I can't see Jess Jackson backing down from the challenge, though.