PDA

View Full Version : Look at this KeeNov catalog page

hitchinmygetalong
Oct. 27, 2007, 12:29 PM
Very weird! (http://apps.keeneland.com/sales/nov07/pdfs/102.pdf) :D I've never seen one like it.

Norcrest
Oct. 27, 2007, 04:30 PM
Ihave seen ones close but usually they at least mention the 1st dam. I wouldnt mind a mare like that!

pinkdiamondracing
Oct. 27, 2007, 05:25 PM
Surely that must be a misprint---very strange to not see any information on the first dam other than produce record-- almost makes her sound non-existent LOL: :lol:

Lindros
Oct. 27, 2007, 08:22 PM
It's such a small world... I used to look after the mares first foal - Holy Hours.

Flypony
Oct. 27, 2007, 11:52 PM
I know the mare, she was trained by a friend of mine. A wonderful race horse , she was albought for $1800.00 as a companion for a more expensive yearling. HOY in Alberta

EponaRoan
Oct. 28, 2007, 01:49 AM
That's a nice race record on her - sort of speaks for itself. Even if her female family did nothing, she sure did on the track (15 wins is awesome at any level) and has two stakes winners so far for offspring.

It does read oddly since it doesn't exactly follow the standard format though.

hitchinmygetalong
Oct. 28, 2007, 09:26 AM
Thank you curioso. I know those catalog pages are formatted using a very exacting guideline - the writers can't "pick and choose" what goes on it, which is why this one struck me as so unusual. :)

ejm
Oct. 28, 2007, 04:37 PM
This has to be the strangest page I've seen in 25 years of reading thousands of catalog pages, and I'll bet the people at The Jockey Club Information Services cataloguing office will tell you it's one of the strangest ones they've ever written.

Keeneland has a very exacting format for their catalog pages - the information is probably somewhere on the Keeneland website if you want to look for it. The 3-cross pedigree and sire blurb are mandatory, and for broodmares, the race record and produce record are mandatory. Between her extensive race record and her extensive produce record, it looks like they just ran out of room to show the female family.

I looked up some old cataloguing for "the rest of the story." This mare is from a pretty nice Canadian family. Her first dam was stakes-placed and has produced 3 additional stakes-placed horses, two graded and one that ran 3rd in the Queen's Plate, and the second dam produced 2 graded SWs including the dam of a Canadian horse of the year and graded stakes producer.

ejm
Oct. 29, 2007, 02:55 PM
Just for the sake of nitpicking, the link you gave is for the governing group that decides which races are acceptable "black type" or stakes races. Keeneland and other sales companies use this information, but have plenty of control over other points of style and format for their catalog pages.

There are some definite differences in the format of broodmare pages for Keeneland and Fasig-Tipton - the catalogs I have handy. For example, the sire line information on a Keeneland page is 7 lines; on a Fasig-Tipton page it is 5 lines. Also, Keeneland lists the covering sire's name for each mare and has a "Sire Reference" section with information on all covering sires near the front of the catalog; Fasig-Tipton has a 4-line sire blurb for the covering sire at the bottom of each individual page.

hitchinmygetalong
Oct. 29, 2007, 04:28 PM
ejm, you forgot to mention that Fasig-Tipton wastes two inches of each page of that particular catalog to photo and banner.

ejm
Nov. 5, 2007, 05:16 PM
The unusual page didn't hurt her sales price much - she brought $260,000 today.

race_run_jump
Nov. 5, 2007, 09:55 PM
And thought that the page was pretty wild looking too. I'ved never seen one like that either. Pretty mare, though!! Nice enough price, too - but was wildly eclipsed by some of the others that sold today!!