PDA

View Full Version : spinoff; why I don't like arab owners

egontoast
Oct. 26, 2007, 07:11 PM
;)

It's a JOKE! RELAX!

Fire up your mac and kiss your Breyer Arab.

AnotherRound
Oct. 26, 2007, 07:27 PM
Oh, and I was ready to read all about it. LOL:lol::lol:

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Oct. 26, 2007, 07:39 PM
Wow, I thought Ghazzu might pop in, packing some heat!

Tiempo
Oct. 26, 2007, 07:42 PM
Dang, I was all ready with my popcorn :winkgrin:

Bluey
Oct. 26, 2007, 07:57 PM
I know why you don't like them. You are jealous...

--When you have to pack a ladder to get on most other horses and arabian owners can just hop on so easily, without straining.:D

--You watch them ayrabs stand there gazella like, so pretty and then move around, like living graceful works of art, with their finely chiseled features and that flag of a tail and wonder why other horses tend to look so, well, less classy.;)

--You see how lightly arabians step, can't hardly hear them touch the ground and some of the other horses sound like an earthquake approaching, you can feel the ground tremble when they trot by.:lol:

Bogey2
Oct. 26, 2007, 08:01 PM
:lol::lol::lol:

rats...I just popped some corn and grabbed a beer...where's the controversy?

egontoast
Oct. 26, 2007, 08:06 PM

Oh yes, that must be it!

Tiempo
Oct. 26, 2007, 08:11 PM
:lol::lol::lol:

rats...I just popped some corn and grabbed a beer...where's the controversy?

Bogey, you suck and your horses are ugly :winkgrin: :lol::lol::lol: :D

Well, I couldn't let my popcorn go to waste coud I ?? !! :lol::lol:

egontoast
Oct. 26, 2007, 08:14 PM
Bogey, are you going to take that? SLap her down:yes:

Ghazzu
Oct. 26, 2007, 08:22 PM
No need to pack heat.

Just remember what my friend says,
"to train a horse, first, you need to be smarter than the horse. With Arabs, fewer people qualify." :D

Horses for courses.

You couldn't give me a WB.
Not because I think there aren't a lot of good warmbloods, just that they don't do it for me.
(I'd settle for a TB, if all the Arabs disappeared tomorrow.)
And no, I don't have GP freestyle aspirations.

Now, a good "real" Arab (none of your airheads on a string, thankyou) is just the ticket for my tastes.

Yes, I know I ride like crap, but this horse *was* a lovely mover when ridden well...

fernie fox
Oct. 26, 2007, 09:51 PM
deleted irrelavent pic.

Aged brain fart,on my part.

twnkltoz
Oct. 27, 2007, 12:05 AM
What took you so long to start this thread? :lol:

ms raven
Oct. 27, 2007, 01:28 AM
OT, but Ghazzu do tell. Who was that lovely fella(?) you were riding? Very nice! :)

Bogey2
Oct. 27, 2007, 06:12 AM
Bogey, you suck and your horses are ugly

Well, I couldn't let my popcorn go to waste coud I ?? !!

oh yeah Tiempo? your mother rides Gypsy Vanners!

Bluey
Oct. 27, 2007, 07:50 AM

Wow! What an insult!:eek: :eek: :eek:

You better go hide, your head low, in shame.:(

:D :lol: :D :lol: :D

SillyHorse
Oct. 27, 2007, 09:17 AM
Oh Bogey, now you've done it. :no:

Dalriada
Oct. 27, 2007, 09:57 AM
Gee and I checked in to find out why?

Maybe I'll just have to go play with my Ayrabs instead.

RydArab
Oct. 27, 2007, 10:25 AM
Hi, new here- and a devoted owner of a of a pony princess of Arabian descent.

I saw this thread title & thought I'd see more Arab bashing. I was happy to see a great sense of humor instead.

I wouldn't trade my economy model,just a smidge under 14hh little brown Aaayrab for anything. No way.She's just turned 4 on October 12 & I can ride her bitless or snaffled along the road edges, by herself in the woods and along side a riled up 14 y/o Morab mare without having to worry about a thing. She's as solid as a rock. She IS an awesome horse, as was my first Arab who was a gorgeous Straight Egyptian who passed due to an internal tumor last year. I look forward to spending the next 25 or so years being outsmarted by this one. God help me...

:)
Stacey

Bashirah & I

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q199/StaceyMWaldruff/May%202007/1.jpg

Eventer55
Oct. 27, 2007, 10:36 AM
Yea, well, my arab beat up your honor student..................:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Oct. 27, 2007, 10:56 AM

and there goes all my precious coffee, ruining yet another keyboard....

Those who aren't smart enough to train TBs, train Ayrabs. And those who can't do Ayrabs, do warmbloods.

there! I see you one insult and raise another, from a strictly unbiased promoter of TBs.

Ghazzu
Oct. 27, 2007, 11:48 AM
OT, but Ghazzu do tell. Who was that lovely fella(?) you were riding? Very nice! :)

That was my stallion, Brigade CF. Bred by Charles and Jeanne Craver. He was an absolute joy. I lost him to a weird and "emerging" intestinal disease four years ago.

I have a son of his who will be going off to be started under saddle as soon after the first of the year as the trainer has an opening. I'm too old to start horses, and he's too fancy to want to mess up. He promises to be as lovely a mover as his sire, though his personality is less mellow (got a lot of his dam's piss and vinegar.)

Here's his baby picture:

cuatx55
Oct. 27, 2007, 01:40 PM
My arab is smarter then your honor student.

Tiempo
Oct. 27, 2007, 07:49 PM

OMG...My ugly family secret it out.

I hope you're pleased..youv'e set me back years in my therapy :no:

GreekDressageQueen
Oct. 27, 2007, 11:23 PM
That was my stallion, Brigade CF. Bred by Charles and Jeanne Craver. He was an absolute joy. I lost him to a weird and "emerging" intestinal disease four years ago.

I have a son of his who will be going off to be started under saddle as soon after the first of the year as the trainer has an opening. I'm too old to start horses, and he's too fancy to want to mess up. He promises to be as lovely a mover as his sire, though his personality is less mellow (got a lot of his dam's piss and vinegar.)

Here's his baby picture:

Cute baby. :) Let's hope your new trainer won't ride him overflexed and on the forehand.

Ghazzu
Oct. 27, 2007, 11:39 PM
Cute baby. :) Let's hope your new trainer won't ride him overflexed and on the forehand.

I already *told* you I ride like crap, you silly cow. :D

And yes, Paul is a much better rider than I.
That's why I'm sending him there.

I'm EBO
Oct. 27, 2007, 11:51 PM
I stopped by this thread because I wanted to know if you hated Arabs with horses or just Arab horses! :D

Carry on.

GreekDressageQueen
Oct. 28, 2007, 12:41 PM
What is a "Barbaro Cultist?"

I don't know if I should be afraid or curious...:lol:

fourhorses
Oct. 28, 2007, 01:05 PM
Went to the barn today and told my horses about this thread (my horses by the by are a 6 yo. Hano/TB cross who will hopefully turn into my "old age" competition horse and my 22 yo. Arab, who was once a fairly decent little dressage pony who did quite satisfactory 4th level movements and beat his share of fancy WBs once upon a time, now schoolmaster to my kids):

Quote from "the old man": Arab hating wankers can SOD off...I work my butt off for you for 19 years and you come to me with this? Bugger you -- you need to tell the boy to sit over his center so as not to boink around on me, and give me my morning apple NOW D@$#%$ it! Do I always have to steal the one you throw at dip$%$^s feet first before I get mine:mad:"

Qoute from "the kid": DOOTAHDO! I STILL LIKE MONKEYS!....can I have an apple too? How come I don't have an apple?"

fourhorses
Oct. 28, 2007, 01:07 PM
And I don't think one need be concerned about a mere person who was fond of the late Barbaro, but a Barbaro cultist might be something to run away from...very quickly....not looking back.:D

Bluey
Oct. 28, 2007, 01:13 PM
And I don't think one need be concerned about a mere person who was fond of the late Barbaro, but a Barbaro cultist might be something to run away from...very quickly....not looking back.:D

I think that some people just have a hard time getting on with things, or don't know how to change their signature line.
Don't ask, I don't even know how to get one in there.;)

MistyBlue
Oct. 28, 2007, 02:32 PM
The only two reasons I hate Arabs:
1) They've cornered the equine market on screened t-shirts and sweatshirts and calendars. Go on, I dare any of you to find those items without a black Arab galloping in the surf on a beach screened onto it! :lol:
2) They seem to have all been born with a two-way hinge in the center of their spines. *Nothing* can snap a whiplash buck like an Arabian horse can. Not even evil ponies. :yes:

Other than that and the drawer I have full of horsie shirt presents from well meaning family members loaded with Black Arab On The Beach pictures...I like those little horsies.

egontoast
Oct. 28, 2007, 02:58 PM
The only two reasons I hate Arabs:

HEY! Get your own thread. This one's about the OWNERS!:cool:

fourhorses
Oct. 28, 2007, 03:11 PM
Oh! This is about the OWNERS and not the HORSES.

If that's the case then sign me up -- I hate Arab owners too...and WB owners...and TB, QH, Drafter, pony, GV, Morgan, etc. ad nauseum owners too...
In fact, I think I just hate horse owners in general -- quite the impossible lot to deal with:lol:

fourhorses
Oct. 28, 2007, 03:12 PM
And they're all crazy, don't you know;)

twnkltoz
Oct. 28, 2007, 04:48 PM
Totally. What's with that?

Sakura
Oct. 28, 2007, 04:53 PM
And they're all crazy, don't you know;)

Just because we can communicate telepathically with our Arabians doesn't make us crazy!

Jazzy Lady
Oct. 28, 2007, 06:42 PM
Ah the arab teleport... As an (ex) arab owner I could never keep up with the little guy when he teleported. ;)

imaginique
Oct. 29, 2007, 09:06 AM
Well, we Arab owners may be crazy--crazy about our horses!!:D But you can't deny that we do have something to be crazy about! Arabs are the bestest.:yes:

mp
Oct. 29, 2007, 10:29 AM
wow, Ghazzu. Nice horse. I'm so sorry you lost him. The Cravers are very gracious people. I met them a few years ago at Nationals. Good luck with your youngster. IME, there's nothing wrong with a little piss and vinegar. I'm having a ton of fun with my Mr. Attitude. :yes:

And just to keep on topic ... I hate the Arabian owners who bought one based on the "purty head" and then complain because "it's crazy" (translation: it don't act like my 20 y.o. QH). That would be because it *isn't* your QH, dumbass.

fourhorses
Oct. 29, 2007, 10:58 AM
Teeeheeheee:lol:

the wonders of BB communication!

I didn't mean just Arab owners were bonky; I meant ALL horse owners were slightly (or completely) daft! Heck, I'd go so far as to say anyone involved with the creatures is a tad cracked in the noodle! And the non-horsey members of their inner circle of close family and friends are probably driven daft by them -- just ask my husband...:lol:

But if Arab owners want to consider themselves more loony than others, then I suppose be my guest....there are those who might consider us as such:winkgrin:

Kairoshorses
Oct. 29, 2007, 11:13 AM
I used to be an arab owner/lover; don't hate me because I was brilliant. I had a gorgeous, smarter-than-me arab mare.

Of course, now that I'm menopausal and alzheimer's is setting in, I have WBs. Geldings.

Now where did I put those keys again? And where are my glasses?

Off to look....

twnkltoz
Oct. 29, 2007, 01:01 PM
Teeeheeheee:lol:

the wonders of BB communication!

I didn't mean just Arab owners were bonky; I meant ALL horse owners were slightly (or completely) daft! Heck, I'd go so far as to say anyone involved with the creatures is a tad cracked in the noodle! And the non-horsey members of their inner circle of close family and friends are probably driven daft by them -- just ask my husband...:lol:

But if Arab owners want to consider themselves more loony than others, then I suppose be my guest....there are those who might consider us as such:winkgrin:
I knew what you meant! And I wondered just what is it about horse people that makes them all a little crazy??

I actually have a theory. Some of the crazier horse people I know have never had a job outside of training horses (or haven't in years). As such, they don't really know how to deal with people--so they deal with people like they deal with their horses.

(No PPC I don't mean you!)

GreekDressageQueen
Oct. 29, 2007, 08:35 PM
When I look down on an Arabian from the back of my Irish beasts, I think out loud and say, "Gosh is this what my Labrador thinks when she sees a chihuahua?" :D

Ghazzu
Oct. 29, 2007, 09:06 PM
When I look down on an Arabian from the back of my Irish beasts, I think out loud and say, "Gosh is this what my Labrador thinks when she sees a chihuahua?" :D

More like what an elephant thinks when it spies a gazelle :D

GreekDressageQueen
Oct. 29, 2007, 10:09 PM
More like what an elephant thinks when it spies a gazelle :D

:lol: Very nice!

I would much rather have the smartest animal out there AND the most level-headed than a twitchy, hyper thing that is constantly running for fear of being eaten.

Ghazzu
Oct. 29, 2007, 10:31 PM
:lol: Very nice!

I would much rather have the smartest animal out there AND the most level-headed than a twitchy, hyper thing that is constantly running for fear of being eaten.

Mine run when they're afraid they might *miss* a meal.
Don't stand in front of the gate...

Trixie
Oct. 29, 2007, 10:43 PM
Good lord, Ghazzu, I must pop over here to mention that that photo is absolutely DARLING! :)

FancyFree
Oct. 30, 2007, 01:47 AM
You just hate us because you're jealous. Our horses always look great - even with a big orange endurance number on their butt. :D

She has a very pretty face. My baby Hanoverian has a very dishy face. It's funny because people always ask if she's an extra large Arab.

Auventera Two
Oct. 30, 2007, 08:46 AM
I call my Arabian, my Ferrari. Warmbloods are semi trucks. :winkgrin:

egontoast
Oct. 30, 2007, 09:39 AM
Thanks everyone for illustrating so accurately the myhorsieisbetterthanyourhorsie
stereotype.

I rest my case . :lol::lol::lol:

Tory Relic
Oct. 30, 2007, 02:11 PM
No need to pack heat.

(I'd settle for a TB, if all the Arabs disappeared tomorrow.)
And no, I don't have GP freestyle aspirations.

Now, a good "real" Arab (none of your airheads on a string, thankyou) is just the ticket for my tastes.

Ghazzu - we are mirror images. :D

TBs are what "do it" for me, but the next best thing is an Arab of the type you describe.

Your stallion was lovely, my condolences on his loss.

Your baby is cute! Best of luck with him. :)

Sakura
Oct. 31, 2007, 07:17 AM
Thanks everyone for illustrating so accurately the myhorsieisbetterthanyourhorsie
stereotype.

I rest my case . :lol::lol::lol:

It must be tough not to have the same level of confidence ;):p:winkgrin:

LexInVA
Oct. 31, 2007, 07:22 AM
Don't get me started with Arab owners. I hope what I experienced was not your typical Arab owner but I've heard some pretty unflattering things (about the owners not the horses). :no:

Sakura
Oct. 31, 2007, 07:37 AM
Don't get me started with Arab owners. I hope what I experienced was not your typical Arab owner but I've heard some pretty unflattering things (about the owners not the horses). :no:

As an Arabian owner I can concur that there are some rather arrogant Arab owning SOB's out there. I remember my first encounter with an Arabian owner... he was a nasty, arrogant braggart that never had anything nice to say about other peoples' horses. Would bash bloodlines that he did not appreciate and was just an over all jerk. Since I was/and still am infatuated with the breed I have learned to look past people like that (keep in mind every discipline and breed has "those people"). If I had allowed myself to be turned off from the breed by just one person I would have missed out on owning and knowing some wonderful horses.

I find that non-Arab owners tend to be a little uptight about the Arab owners affinity for their horses. We are passionate about our critters. We don't try to put our horses up on a pedestal... it just happens :)

LexInVA
Oct. 31, 2007, 08:09 AM
As an Arabian owner I can concur that there are some rather arrogant Arab owning SOB's out there. I remember my first encounter with an Arabian owner... he was a nasty, arrogant braggart that never had anything nice to say about other peoples' horses. Would bash bloodlines that he did not appreciate and was just an over all jerk. Since I was/and still am infatuated with the breed I have learned to look past people like that (keep in mind every discipline and breed has "those people"). If I had allowed myself to be turned off from the breed by just one person I would have missed out on owning and knowing some wonderful horses.

I find that non-Arab owners tend to be a little uptight about the Arab owners affinity for their horses. We are passionate about our critters. We don't try to put our horses up on a pedestal... it just happens :)

I don't think she was breed-centric so much as she was all about her own horses and her egomania. She used to post on many forums under the same combination of names (she was one of those Catchride freaks) where she would pimp her horse like it was the pinnacle of equine perfection while harassing forum members and putting down anyone who disagreed with her. She got banned from quite a few forums for making trouble and threatening members. It got to the point where she had to make her own forum to satisfy her ego much like the drug addict who created Catchride. I still have many of the pics she sent me trying to convince me she was an A-level talent when she's never competed at that level nor were any of her horses ever listed in competition results. I knew something was up when stuff in the photos didn't match together and she was making statements about herself that got more grandiose as time went on. Nobody I talked to from the local scene here had heard of her, the horses, or her "Ivygate Farm" which she claims her parents paid for. A total nutjob that one was. She wanted me to date her psychotic friend Mandy (who seemed to be a volatile alter ego of hers) but luckily I caught on to all the stuff she was doing and called her out on it. She exploded like a hand grenade and accused me of trying to hurt her. Kinda hard to do when you've never met someone. Anyway, as far as I could figure she was just another local backyard horse groupie from Culpeper that flocks to the HITS show there every season to watch the riders.

Sakura
Oct. 31, 2007, 09:33 AM
Eeeek :eek:! LexInVA... you sure know how to pick 'em ;). Seriously though... sorry you had such a rough time, sounds like that one needs to go on meds. I'm in the Culpeper area... would you mind shooting me a PM (I'd like to avoid that one if possible).

LexInVA
Oct. 31, 2007, 10:06 AM
If I had "her" (That is what I can only assume the gender is) actual name I would give it to you but I don't. They were just one big mystery. All I have are photos of a young adult or junior rider (I was told by them they were an adult but it's anyone's guess from the photos). I think I might have some of the chat transcripts around here somewhere but I'll have to dig for those. I haven't seen any activity from this person in a few years (their own forum failed after a few months because they simply didn't know how to run it) apart from one of the names being used on Catchride for browsing back when I was naive enough to think it was an actual horse forum and not a personality cult for it's creator. They claimed to have their own farm in Culpeper called Ivygate (not to be confused with Ivy Gate out in CA) but everyone I talked to here had no knowledge of this girl's Arabian horse, the farm, or her h/j achievements. I found several horses with the names but they were all over the country as in East Coast and West Coast. Basically it looked like someone went and pulled a bunch of random information and knitted it into a story to use on the internet. They used the same lies, harassment tactics, and anonymous alters on every forum, most of which were smaller ones. From what I gathered, it seemed like they spent more time posting nonsense and bickering with children on the h/j and arab forums than doing anything relating to a physical horse.

LexInVA
Oct. 31, 2007, 11:05 AM
I suppose, and this is just my two cents having only dealt with an Arabian briefly being owned and cared for by my family due to a natural disaster that had destroyed some farms, that due to the reputation the breed has gotten for being "special" that some have made more of it than it really is and it has inflated their ego by giving them something to crow about. I know every breed has it's characteristics and quirks but I've heard people talk about Arabians as if they are Great White sharks being taught to play water polo. I haven't really seen anything overly aggressive or violent (I even sent for the AHA DVD) but have found them to be a bit more energetic than what I'm used to seeing in the stables around here and in TN.

GreekDressageQueen
Oct. 31, 2007, 12:57 PM
I don't really have a problem with Arab owners per se. I have owned an Arabian in the past so I guess I should consider myself an "Arab owner" of sorts. I am just not that breed-centric and will not turn down a talented horse based on breed alone. There are crazy breed-centric people everywhere i.e. the TB click, the WB click, the QH click, and then we can even argue about the Ford vs. Chevy clicks and the show dog people are probably the worst. We all like to think we live in a progressive non-judgmental world and although the censors have "forced" us to be PC about race, status, and gender we can still exercise our own biases on our animals. I think it's mostly harmless fun until someone gets way too personal and uptight about it or even starts to make up lies.

However, most of the Arabian owners I have known in the past were very poor judge of the market and I saw a few lose their shirts thinking they could breed some specific Arabian for color/bloodlines and sell it for a bazillion dollars. I think most of these individuals heard about the Arabian market boom in the 80's and were hoping they could profit on it in the 90's. Anyone read the book "Trading Paper" about the Arabian horse market? Very interesting read, but it paints a VERY negative picture of Arabian horse owners/breeders.

GreekDressageQueen
Oct. 31, 2007, 01:00 PM
I've never heard the argument that Arabians are agressive and violent. Wow, never heard that at all! :eek:

I have heard certain bloodlines due to inbreeding or other poor breeding choices have produced Arabians that are aggressive and violent. I think I heard some people talk about the chestnut stallion Padron and his bloodlines in that way.

Sakura
Oct. 31, 2007, 01:06 PM
AHA, :lol:hahahaha:lol:! Sorry... just had to laugh at the mention of AHA ;). Once they stop perpetuating the "Fantasy Fairytale" Arabian horse I may not be so cynical :p. Just tired of seeing ads of sparkling white Arabian stallions galloping up sand dunes with their riders long locks blowing in the wind :dead:. Ads should show our horses doing... not looking like Barbie horses.

Trixie's mom
Oct. 31, 2007, 01:26 PM
padron was not violent nor was he agressive. what an urban legend...

i will be the first to say that certain bloodlines perpetuate certain personality characteristics but violence??? that would be due to poor owners/trainers...just like with dogs.

sheesh...

jme
Oct. 31, 2007, 01:38 PM
I've heard people talk about Arabians as if they are Great White sharks being taught to play water polo.

That is so funny. :lol: Great White shark playing water polo image. You're awesome. Made my lunch. Thanks.

bip
Oct. 31, 2007, 01:48 PM
;)

It's a JOKE! RELAX!

Fire up your mac and kiss your Breyer Arab.

OMG, when I was a kid, I thought my Arab Family mare looked like my mom. And I was shocked that she didn't find it a compliment! My mom had long, straight brown hair that looked just like the mare's mane! (to me, anyway) And the model horse was pretty, so I just didn't get why she thought it was so funny.

Then my brother turned 5 and wanted to name our kitten after me. THEN I got it.

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Oct. 31, 2007, 01:50 PM
You're still on this? Arab owners are TB owner wanna bes, they just have more class than to settle for a dumblood. :D

LexInVA
Oct. 31, 2007, 01:50 PM
I've never heard the argument that Arabians are agressive and violent. Wow, never heard that at all! :eek:

Well that's what the Arab owner I was talking to was saying and I've seen many films and TV shows with Arabian horses that also follow that viewpoint though some are certainly out in left field in regards to how they portray the horse as a crazy beast that will only be tamed by a select few. "She" seemed to be saying that in the right hands (IE Her own "accomplished" self) they are manageable but for the average equestrian, they are Hellcats and I've encountered a few other young riders who subscribe to the belief that they are not for the weak. There are certainly many non-Arab horse owners who are more than willing to perpetuate it in favor of advancing their own breed as the proper choice for a young rider or anyone interested in riding. I can see the whole fairy tale (not as bad as Majikal Gypsy Vanners) Arabian thing going on with the older folks but mostly what I've gotten is this "Stand Back! You must be 6.5ft tall and have balls of iron to ride!" routine from people my age (I know Sakura isn't much older than I am so I'm sure she can understand the strange beliefs that us youngins tend to follow:lol:). And then there's the stuff people don't want to talk about in that part of the equine world but I've no firsthand knowledge of it so I can't talk about it beyond what I've read. I try to be open minded about most things (except parallel parking though that's another thread for another time) but it seems like the younger people like myself are really embracing the negative aspects of the current equestrian world and running with them instead of rising above them. It is sad that I have to say such things but it is the truth. :(

twnkltoz
Oct. 31, 2007, 02:02 PM
You know what I find interesting? It's perfectly ok to say, "arabian owners blah blah blah" or "I knew this one arabian owner who..." or "the one arabian i knew was..." but, what if we made those same statements about Jews or Blacks?

LexInVA
Oct. 31, 2007, 02:08 PM
You know what I find interesting? It's perfectly ok to say, "arabian owners blah blah blah" or "I knew this one arabian owner who..." or "the one arabian i knew was..." but, what if we made those same statements about Jews or Blacks?

I'm not sure what those who are Jewish or of African heritage has to do with the topic but are you implying this thread is akin to racist stereotype generalizations or are you just making a joke that has managed to slip by my sleep deprived brain?

Sakura
Oct. 31, 2007, 02:09 PM

Stereotyping on all levels is simply bad form and is usually born of ignorance and/or fear.

twnkltoz
Oct. 31, 2007, 02:21 PM
I'm not sure what those who are Jewish or of African heritage has to do with the topic but are you implying this thread is akin to racist stereotype generalizations or are you just making a joke that has managed to slip by my sleep deprived brain?
I'm saying that it's interesting how it's ok to stereotype one group of people (or animals) but not another.

mp
Oct. 31, 2007, 04:24 PM
"She" seemed to be saying that in the right hands (IE Her own "accomplished" self) they are manageable but for the average equestrian, they are Hellcats

Is this the same internet nutbar you described in an earlier post? Why on earth you would lend any credence to what she "says"? You've never met her and don't even know if she owns real horses or the kind you have to dust every so often.

and I've encountered a few other young riders who subscribe to the belief that they are not for the weak. There are certainly many non-Arab horse owners who are more than willing to perpetuate it in favor of advancing their own breed as the proper choice for a young rider or anyone interested in riding. I can see the whole fairy tale (not as bad as Majikal Gypsy Vanners) Arabian thing going on with the older folks but mostly what I've gotten is this "Stand Back! You must be 6.5ft tall and have balls of iron to ride!" routine from people my age (I know Sakura isn't much older than I am so I'm sure she can understand the strange beliefs that us youngins tend to follow). And then there's the stuff people don't want to talk about in that part of the equine world but I've no firsthand knowledge of it so I can't talk about it beyond what I've read. I try to be open minded about most things (except parallel parking though that's another thread for another time) but it seems like the younger people like myself are really embracing the negative aspects of the current equestrian world and running with them instead of rising above them. It is sad that I have to say such things but it is the truth. :(

I'm relieved to hear you're sleep-deprived, Lex, because you're not making a whole lot of sense.

And neither are you, twink. People generalize all the time. It's the consequences of the generalizations that are most important. And no one is going to deny you or me a job or not allow us to vote because we own Arabians. :)

twnkltoz
Oct. 31, 2007, 04:30 PM
All I'm saying is, if I said, "there are some rather arrogant Jewish SOB's out there," people would freak out. Sakura said it about arab owners, so that's ok. (No offense taken, Sakura). I just think it's very interesting how you can the subject of the sentence and the reactions are completely different. I didn't say a single thing about discrimination.

mp
Oct. 31, 2007, 05:04 PM
All I'm saying is, if I said, "there are some rather arrogant Jewish SOB's out there," people would freak out. Sakura said it about arab owners, so that's ok. (No offense taken, Sakura). I just think it's very interesting how you can the subject of the sentence and the reactions are completely different. I didn't say a single thing about discrimination.

I know you didn't. But you're drawing a parallel where none exists. It's "OK" because arabian owners haven't suffered centuries of injustice or mass extermination based on people's negative perceptions of them. But there has been a whole lotta bad stuff happen to people because of the color of their skin or how they chose to worship.

Generalizations (or stereotypes, if you prefer) are common. But some carry a lot more import than others because of the past. You know, history repeating itself and if we don't learn from past mistakes we're doomed to repeat them. (Geez, Dubya musta been asleep during that lecture, huh?). Does that make any sense? If not, just say "no" and we'll leave it at that.

ayrabz
Oct. 31, 2007, 05:13 PM
y'know...I am the first arab owner to admit there IS a reason these horses are enslaved to the stereotype. My gelding is as LOOKY as they get. He's ALSO as smart as they come, and it creates a fine line in training. What I love about him, is also what I despise. The focus is extreme, and when you can work with that, the rewards are beyond what any other breed I've ever encountered.
That said, I'll admit, my daughter is now on a collegiate equestrian team.....she can good naturedly laugh at herself, and her team mates thoughts of the 'arab' rider. She knows if they had to draw HER horse in a show, they'd be swimmin' upstream. There is so much more to him, it makes her such a better rider. And then there is the connection that he has made...hes our forever horse, a family member, one you accept and work with and relish the good, and accept the difficult.
The breed has a type to prove, but with the intense relationship they create, it comes back in spades.

ayrabz

twnkltoz
Oct. 31, 2007, 05:19 PM
Yes, it makes some sense. However, there was a time in the not-too-distant past (less than 100 years ago) that you would make the same remarks about these groups of people and it was quite acceptable. There are still places where people don't understand what's wrong with the "n" word. In addition, you can't even make the most innocent of remarks about these people, remarks that have nothing to do with their past. You can't even say that they're good at a sport or industry that they dominate, yet women can blithely talk about how much men suck, or hunter people can talk about how dressage people are a bunch of snobs, etc. And we can send email after email about how great women are and how we're such good friends and blah blah blah until I want to gag.

Just expressing some philosophical food for thought on a boring Wednesday afternoon. :)

LexInVA
Oct. 31, 2007, 05:49 PM
Is this the same internet nutbar you described in an earlier post? Why on earth you would lend any credence to what she "says"? You've never met her and don't even know if she owns real horses or the kind you have to dust every so often.

I'm relieved to hear you're sleep-deprived, Lex, because you're not making a whole lot of sense.

And neither are you, twink. People generalize all the time. It's the consequences of the generalizations that are most important. And no one is going to deny you or me a job or not allow us to vote because we own Arabians. :)

Yes it is the same Nutbar but I guess I wasn't clear enough (going without sleep this long can do that to you though I don't feel as tired as I should be) because what I meant to say is that they (The Nutbar) and people whom I have had actual physical contact with have said many of the same things when it comes to Arabs (difficult to handle, bad tempers, flighty, dangerous) but I was not actually accepting their views as The Nutbar is the only (hypothetical) Arab owner I have spoken with on the subject due to the lack of Arab owners and equestrians in general around here to converse with. I was simply stating that I was basically being given only one view on the subject and was trying to form my own opinion based on what little experience I have had with them. I think that being open minded about a horse or horses regardless of what the breed (Magikal Gypsy Vanners are fair game though:lol:) is, is a fundamental part of being an equestrian. It's something we have lost sight of but every time we see a new Teddy or Seabiscuit or Pokey The Three Legged Wonder Horse, it reminds us that these animals are just like us in that they have the capacity to do amazing things when we believe in them. Okay I'll get off my soapbox now...I need to go pick up my pizza and wings for tonight. Gonna watch Seven with my girl.

RHdobes563
Oct. 31, 2007, 05:55 PM
I told this story once, but will tell it again. On another forum, at least 5 years ago, a girl made up a story about a black Arabian stallion imported from Arabian and now living her back yard. They imported real Arabian sand to cover their pastures in so their black Aabian stallion would feel at home.

She was stupid enough to post a photo and I'll be danged if it didn't have a photographer's signature in the corner. :lol: :rolleyes: The photographer got involved, and turned out it was a Saddlebred mare. Somebody read too much Walter Farley.....

Hey! I remember that!

egontoast
Oct. 31, 2007, 06:26 PM
Stereotyping on all levels is simply bad form and is usually born of ignorance and/or fear

THAT"S IT! I'm SKEEEERED!!:lol:

I was joking when I started this thread but now that i've read the responses, I am not so sure.

The denigration of other breeds (dumbloods?) is quite revealing. Is that ignorance or fear talkin? ;)

CatOnLap
Oct. 31, 2007, 07:30 PM
well you know, all eggs look the same to me.

twnkltoz
Oct. 31, 2007, 09:11 PM
well you know, all eggs look the same to me.
How dare you?? Eggs are individuals, too!!

Roosevelt
Oct. 31, 2007, 10:04 PM
...are stereotypes for a reason. Because there is usually some truth to them. For instance, I am an arrogant Jew. Are all Jews arrogant? No, but enough of us are to bring some truth to the statement. Are all Arabian owners a bunch of little sissies who would rather brush their little pretty horsie's mane and pretend they are an Elf? No, but enough of you are to make it funny to those of us who ride real horses. Dumblood, by the way, is offensive, and if you said it to my mare, she would kill you.

Ghazzu
Oct. 31, 2007, 10:24 PM
...a those of us who ride real horses. Dumblood, by the way, is offensive, and if you said it to my mare, she would kill you.

She might try, but my fruity little non-real horse of an Arab would teleport me safely out of the way before your dumblood could react.:D

Roosevelt
Oct. 31, 2007, 10:32 PM
What, you bought your Arabian a ticket to the Star Trek convention? Well, I guess you need something to do after Renaissance Fair season. Plus, you can wear the tights twice.

Ghazzu
Oct. 31, 2007, 11:41 PM
What, you bought your Arabian a ticket to the Star Trek convention? Well, I guess you need something to do after Renaissance Fair season. Plus, you can wear the tights twice.

Clearly, you've never ridden an Arab or you would be quite familiar with their teleportation talents...

Roosevelt
Oct. 31, 2007, 11:55 PM
Lay off the Harry Potter, huh?

GreekDressageQueen
Nov. 1, 2007, 12:35 AM

LOL :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Okay - I have to admit I laughed so hard I think I peed my pants a little...

Roosevelt
Nov. 1, 2007, 12:43 AM
Only a little? I must be losing my touch. Come on baby, pee for me....

GreekDressageQueen
Nov. 1, 2007, 12:54 AM
Only a little? I must be losing my touch. Come on baby, pee for me....

:confused: Uh...I think you are on the wrong forum.

I was trying to be funny and your comment was kinda creepy. :eek:

Eeeeewwwwww...

Sakura
Nov. 1, 2007, 07:38 AM

I think you are confusing Arabian owners with Andalusian owners :lol:.

Sakura
Nov. 1, 2007, 07:41 AM
THAT"S IT! I'm SKEEEERED!!:lol:

I was joking when I started this thread but now that i've read the responses, I am not so sure.

The denigration of other breeds (dumbloods?) is quite revealing. Is that ignorance or fear talkin? ;)

That statement was intended as an over all observation of stereotypes (in response to the Blacks and Jews post just before it)... not only in regard to folks who hold tight to over-generalizations of breeds.

Bluey
Nov. 1, 2007, 07:46 AM
Clearly, you've never ridden an Arab or you would be quite familiar with their teleportation talents...

Don't give our secrets away!:eek:
That weakens them.:(

twnkltoz
Nov. 1, 2007, 10:24 AM
I think you are confusing Arabian owners with Andalusian owners :lol:.
No way, it's Friesian owners!

CatOnLap
Nov. 1, 2007, 11:14 AM
Dumblood, by the way, is offensive, and if you said it to my mare, she would kill you.
That is because she is a dumblood. Killing is easy and unimaginative. The smart ayrabs will live (and let you live) for 35 years and torture you through every minute of it.

mp
Nov. 1, 2007, 11:33 AM
Dumblood, by the way, is offensive, and if you said it to my mare, she would kill you.

Well, that just proves what my mother's second cousin's neighbor told me -- or did I read it on a bathroom wall? -- that WBs are violent and aggressive. :yes:

Come on, eggy. You would have been disappointed if you didn't get just a leetle reaction.

I vowed not to post on this thread. And I managed to sit on my hands until we started getting opinions of Arab owners (and Arabs) based on what the poster "heard" from someone else and his experience with an internet loony tune who had read "The Black Stallion" once too often.

Note to future posters on this thread: Either relate your firsthand wingnut AO experience or go find a few and see if you can get them say or do something odd. Take it from me (and egon), it's not hard.

:lol:, CatOn. My oldest is 26. I don't think she'll make 35, but I hope her son does.

CatOnLap
Nov. 1, 2007, 11:38 AM
My dumblood is going on 19 and shows no sign of slowing down. or acquiring a brain. But then, he IS part ayrab, somewhere...

Ghazzu
Nov. 1, 2007, 12:40 PM
Lay off the Harry Potter, huh?

Oh, get a freakin' grip.
I'm referring the their ability to do a microsecond spook and end up 15 feet to the left of where you're still hanging in midair.
Like I said, you've apparently never ridden one.

Auventera Two
Nov. 1, 2007, 04:50 PM
I have heard certain bloodlines due to inbreeding or other poor breeding choices have produced Arabians that are aggressive and violent. I think I heard some people talk about the chestnut stallion Padron and his bloodlines in that way.

Not sure if that was meant as a below the belt thing, or not, but my mare is Padron bred. :lol: I guess she'd maul you for some tasty treats, but that's the extent of her violent and agressive behavior. :D I've met quite a few Padron horses, as there are a lot of them in this area, and they all have that typical sweet, curious, lap-dog wannabee type of personality.

Trixie's mom
Nov. 1, 2007, 05:18 PM
ah yes, the teleportation...i had a arab do that to me in the warm up area in Lexington KY...put me in the hospital with two broken vertebrae...the crowd said I hung in midair for 3 seconds before landing flat on my back. he teleported from a standstill mind you...quite adept at the move. made for a good show for me...can't remember a thing after due to the drugs the doc gave me...still rode two days later...even went top five...or at least they tell me I did...who knows...

aventura...love your horse's ears...

RydArab
Nov. 1, 2007, 08:28 PM
My 4 y/o arab ( Bashirah) occasionally does the teleport spook and actually seems to levitate & move through the air- usually to the right (must be right handed?). It is an amazing feeling. So far I have managed to stay put while she does this, thank goodness. She gets those hind legs up & under so far that she actually bumps the sole of my boot on take off with her left hind. She's a nimble pony but neither crazy nor mean, although I've heard stories about those supposedly "bad tempered" Bask* lines. She's double Bask* and sweet as anything.

Auventera Two- my girl loves swimming too- she's amazing in the water. The horse even puts her face under water up to her eyeballs & blows bubbles. She swims like a fish. :)

GreekDressageQueen
Nov. 2, 2007, 01:08 AM
Not sure if that was meant as a below the belt thing, or not, but my mare is Padron bred. :lol: I guess she'd maul you for some tasty treats, but that's the extent of her violent and agressive behavior. :D I've met quite a few Padron horses, as there are a lot of them in this area, and they all have that typical sweet, curious, lap-dog wannabee type of personality.

No - no belts involved. I had no idea you had a Padron mare so don't take it personally. :) I have boarded at a few barns in my years that had a high concentration of Arabians and there was a Padron grandson that had a bit of a temper. I overheard the trainer say a few times that Padron horses had some issues with temperament and were prone to aggressive behavior. I also worked with some Arabians (years ago!) that were straight Egyptian bred and they were much more hot-tempered than the Polish or Crabbet lines. So, I am just sharing some observations - I am not trying to inflict nasty, flaming wounds.

Then again - in light of our fun and innocent over-generalizations that all WBs are dumb-bloods and all Arabs are Einsteins and all TBs are the best horses on Earth, I didn't think anyone was seriously worried about stereotyping. :D I am sure you mare is a doll and I am quite impressed with her swimming skills!

Bluesy
Nov. 2, 2007, 01:46 AM
Well TB's are the best horses on earth!

Sakura
Nov. 2, 2007, 10:25 AM
Come on guys, post pics of your Arabs!

I plan on it... gonna get some "trail riding" pix this weekend :yes:.

twnkltoz
Nov. 2, 2007, 11:23 AM
:lol: Hey no worries, no offense taken, and none intended. :) I've gotten a few nasty remarks by a prominent poster here regarding Padron horses, so I wasn't sure.

It's too bad that some stallions pass on a bad disposition. The stallion owner should recognize that, and stop breeding the horse. In a perfect world that is....It shows you how one bad apple can cause a bad stereotype for a whole breed, or a whole line. The farm where I bought my Padron baby from had a herd of weanlings, all unhandled, and they were so sweet. You had to peel 20 babies off you with a spatula. There were some 3 and 4 year olds, also pretty much unhandled that were just as sweet. That was one thing that drew me to that line.

Come on guys, post pics of your Arabs!

The lady in red is a good friend who was doing some "water training" for me since I'm scared of the deep stuff. Her chestnut mare swims like a fish.
Oh, all RIGHT...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/twnkltoz/One%20Hot%20Lady/011506%20Elverta/molly1-15-06014.jpg

egontoast
Nov. 2, 2007, 01:14 PM
Actually, A2 under one of her previous and sundry alter usernames posted a video of Padron or a Padron son trotting all hollow and boingy and out behind and unfortunately gloated, in that quaint delusional way she has, that his movement for dressage far eclipsed that of any sad warmblood, thereby staying true to her Arab owner stereotype.

She fully expected everyone to be blown away by the video.

Several posters, including a very knowledgeable sporthorse breeder, politely pointed out that Padron's trot as shown in the video was not correct for dressage and explained the concept of 'forking' of the hocks which was illustrated by the video. BOING BOING BOING!

A2, under one of her many former alters, promptly deleted the video and now wishes to change history. :):):):):):)

rainechyldes
Nov. 2, 2007, 01:24 PM
I shall confess--I own 5 of the suckers
2 fullbred, 3 partbreds.

all compete all season as endurance horses.
3 are also experienced hunter/jumpers. (now we are only talking 3,"6-9" - I'll be specific - they are pretty maxed out by that hieght)
2 are pony club packers
1 is also competes in trials

but you know. If I could figure out how to get a full blooded friesian to do 100 milers, I'd buy me one and have the REAL barbie horse model. All the loffly hair and black to!

****What I hate about arabian horse owners***
That they hate to admit their horse is like horses of any other breed - some of them are lovely ambassadors of the horse world, others - eh.. suck.:)

Sakura
Nov. 2, 2007, 01:31 PM
You are a weird duck. :eek: Wow.........must suck to be stuck with such a crappy personality!

In any case - I don't think anybody here said anything about Padron being a dressage horse. Did they? Nope, didn't think so. So no clue what you're talking about now. As usual....

Auventera Two,
I think Egg just threw the word "dressage" in to keep it dressage related for this forum... otherwise the tread may have to be moved to Off Course ;):lol::lol::lol::lol:.

Dalriada
Nov. 2, 2007, 01:39 PM

Only because they have 3 Arabian ancestors!

GreekDressageQueen
Nov. 2, 2007, 03:51 PM
Actually, A2 under one of her previous and sundry alter usernames posted a video of Padron or a Padron son trotting all hollow and boingy and out behind and unfortunately gloated, in that quaint delusional way she has, that his movement for dressage far eclipsed that of any sad warmblood, thereby staying true to her Arab owner stereotype.

She fully expected everyone to be blown away by the video.

Several posters, including a very knowledgeable sporthorse breeder, politely pointed out that Padron's trot as shown in the video was not correct for dressage and explained the concept of 'forking' of the hocks which was illustrated by the video. BOING BOING BOING!

A2, under one of her many former alters, promptly deleted the video and now wishes to change history. :):):):):):)

I sure as heck hope you are NOT referring to me when you mention this "she"!! :eek: I have no idea what you are talking about nor have I ever posted any pictures on this BB.

A2 - I'm with you - what is Ego talking about? Unless, she is referring to the person you metioned earlier. :confused:

mp
Nov. 2, 2007, 04:23 PM
****What I hate about arabian horse owners***
That they hate to admit their horse is like horses of any other breed - some of them are lovely ambassadors of the horse world, others - eh.. suck.:)

I'm right there with you, rc. :yes:

I remember that video, egon. I think it was Anza Padron at liberty. He's a saddleseat horse that wasn't shown until he was 12 or so and did very well -- NC English Pleasure or something. Nice horse. Like a lot of *Padron get, he is a very flashy mover at liberty. Unlike most of them, he doesn't flatten out like a pancake under saddle. But his dam's sire was *Eter, a very nice Polish stallion, so that may explain it. ;)

NB -- This is not a slam at Padron or Padron-bred horses. I think they're fine horses. I've just seen a lot of them trot level at liberty, and get SS people all excited. But getting them to be all flashy and trotty under saddle is another matter altogether. No idea why.

egontoast
Nov. 2, 2007, 04:44 PM
A2 knows what I'm talking about.:yes: She just likes to pretend she didn't post embarrassing things so she keeps changeing the username. :no:
According to my inbox, I'm not the only one who remembers the video and A2's claim it was a dressage trot to beat all the warmbloods. Hehehe:no:

twnkltoz
Nov. 2, 2007, 04:49 PM
I'm right there with you, rc. :yes:

I remember that video, egon. I think it was Anza Padron at liberty. He's a saddleseat horse that wasn't shown until he was 12 or so and did very well -- NC English Pleasure or something. Nice horse. Like a lot of *Padron get, he is a very flashy mover at liberty. Unlike most of them, he doesn't flatten out like a pancake under saddle. But his dam's sire was *Eter, a very nice Polish stallion, so that may explain it. ;)

NB -- This is not a slam at Padron or Padron-bred horses. I think they're fine horses. I've just seen a lot of them trot level at liberty, and get SS people all excited. But getting them to be all flashy and trotty under saddle is another matter altogether. No idea why.
Not just Padron horses...many horses who trot high at liberty don't under saddle. Mine's the same way...although she's trotting higher as she gets stronger.

RHdobes563
Nov. 2, 2007, 05:28 PM
Originally Posted by Bluesy

Well, actually, there are MORE Arabian ancestors in Thoroughbreds out there than just the most famous, the Byerly Turk, the Darley Arabian, and the Goldolphin Arabian.

When I started tracing my Thoroughbred's ancestors back on the old pedigree website, I found a whole lot of what seemed to be "Arabians." I suspected when the "new" Thoroughbreds began winning races, many other owners jumped on the bandwagon and started imported their own "Arabian horses" to cross on their racehorses.

For example, in my Thoroughbred's ancestry you find the names of these horses: D'Arcy Yellow Turk, Morocco Barb, Alcock's Arabian, St. Victor's Barb, Oglethorpe Arabian, Leede's Arabian, Bethel's Arabian, Black Barb, Brownlow Turk, Taffolet Barb, Place's White Turk, Layton Barb Mare, Akaster Turk, Curwen Bay Barb, Hutton's Bay Barb, Harpur's Arabian, and all of the aforementioned "famous three ancestors" of the Thoroughbred horse.

In fact, the famous mare Roxana was by Bald Galloway who was by St. Victor's Barb. Her sire was by Akaster Turk, and her dam's dam (Cream Cheeks) was by Leedes Arabian. That would make her (if I've done my math right) 5/8 "Oriental", and Cade who was by the Goldophin Arabian and out of Roxana would have been 13/16 "Oriental" or "Arabian", well over half.

I got a real kick out of tracing most (not all, I ran out of steam) of my Thoroughbred's ancestors to the early 1700's.

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Nov. 2, 2007, 05:33 PM

Yes, but the thing is, that TBs have been able to rise above their lowly and humble beginnings.

arena run
Nov. 2, 2007, 05:37 PM
Went to the barn today and told my horses about this thread (my horses by the by are a 6 yo. Hano/TB cross who will hopefully turn into my "old age" competition horse and my 22 yo. Arab, who was once a fairly decent little dressage pony who did quite satisfactory 4th level movements and beat his share of fancy WBs once upon a time, now schoolmaster to my kids):

Quote from "the old man": Arab hating wankers can SOD off...I work my butt off for you for 19 years and you come to me with this? Bugger you -- you need to tell the boy to sit over his center so as not to boink around on me, and give me my morning apple NOW D@$#%$ it! Do I always have to steal the one you throw at dip$%$^s feet first before I get mine:mad:"

Qoute from "the kid": DOOTAHDO! I STILL LIKE MONKEYS!....can I have an apple too? How come I don't have an apple?"

And here I thought Dancer's foul mouth came from poor training and bad upbringing... little did I know it was his Ay-rab heritage coming through. <lol>

Learn something new everyday. sylvia

Ghazzu
Nov. 2, 2007, 05:53 PM
Yes, but the thing is, that TBs have been able to rise above their lowly and humble beginnings.

Oh, you're *bad*!! :D:D:D:D

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Nov. 2, 2007, 05:57 PM
You bet I'm bad!!!!!

I always say to Ted, "Look, if anyone asks, your dad's side of the family came from Kentucky, your mom's from Illinois. Their antecedents emigrated from England. If we go back far enough, sure, you're Ay-rab, but don't tell anyone or they will think you are Taliban!"

egontoast
Nov. 2, 2007, 08:57 PM
A2, if you are so sure of your views , why did you delete the video when people did not agree with your opinion that the video showed an exemplary trot for dressage? Just curious. The video showed a boingy peppy le peu type trot. Perhaps you realized your mistake?:confused:

Dalfan
Nov. 2, 2007, 10:53 PM
You are a weird duck. Wow.........must suck to be stuck with such a crappy personality!

In any case - I don't think anybody here said anything about Padron being a dressage horse. Did they? Nope, didn't think so. So no clue what you're talking about now. As usual....

I just knew eggy started this thread hoping to catch a post of yours to pounce on like a fly to sh*t. That's her specialty, don't ya know? Gee, her other favorite has even bothered to show up - who would have guessed? Bet eggy's just waiting for that.

Run along now eggy with your post over on the pile, make sure you get all of A2's post and perhaps this mysterious video as well.

A2; nice water pic there. Bet egg can't do that. Must be jealous.

hitchinmygetalong
Nov. 3, 2007, 09:21 AM
:lol: Hey no worries, no offense taken, and none intended. :) I've gotten a few nasty remarks by a prominent poster here regarding Padron horses, so I wasn't sure.

Actually, Dalfan, I believe THIS was the "bait" post. Everything was pretty copacetic up to this point.

grayarabpony
Nov. 3, 2007, 10:14 AM
Actually, Dalfan, I believe THIS was the "bait" post. Everything was pretty copacetic up to this point.

(Clearing throat) Yeah, right.... And egon just had to swallow the "bait"?

PS. Copacetic?? (You don't have to define it, I just thought it curious that you used such an obscure word.)

fourhorses
Nov. 3, 2007, 11:10 AM
FourH: just goes to show you what a violently antisocial personality he has:lol:

No, seriously, if I was to picture my critters as humans, my Arab would definitely be a retired, combat experienced Marine gunny who was essentially a good, but salty and profane, type of guy. That is not to say every Arab would be that way -- just him, it's his individual personality, which like every other thing on this planet has its pros and cons...his best buddy was my, sadly RIP, TB gelding who would have been a Jimmy Stewart-type. As for my warmblood gelding -- well, indeed, he is a bit of a dumblood, but since he is so naively good natured with his spazzy airheadedness, we like to consider him more chaotically good than rankly stupid. And I know his dad and knew his grandmum, and they were far from dumbbloods; again, must be his own personality. We've got two QH types here as well: a Paint-that-ain't mare and an appendix gelding -- they share a couple of what you might call vague "breed characteristics" but outside of that are total opposites (she's more like the Arab; he's more like the Hano/TB cross). I think you can make some generalized statements, but ultimately the individual animal has to be taken into regard --

except for the blanket statement concerning ALL horse owners...look at this post; I think that theory has been proven time and again here:lol::lol::lol::lol:

the only distinctions are whether or not the individual horse owner is a cracked egg with a wicked sense of humor (which makes for a superbly great human being imho), or if they're bonky as H but completely humorless prats! to boot!

CatOnLap
Nov. 3, 2007, 11:19 AM
the only distinctions are whether or not the individual horse owner is a cracked egg with a wicked sense of humor (which makes for a superbly great human being imho), or if they're bonky as H but completely humorless prats! to boot
Well done, 4Horses.
one of those famous NH quotes:

"There are only two emotions that belong on horseback: Patience and a sense of humour"

Proving again that certain posters belong right HERE and certainly not on horseback.

enjoytheride
Nov. 3, 2007, 11:27 AM
This is the arab mare I ride, I'm not sure this picture portrays the amount of evil that lurks inside.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/son_ya98/album/576460762379159803/photo/294928804373002308/12

The rest of the "test" if you can call what we did a test was interesting.

CatOnLap
Nov. 3, 2007, 11:55 AM
thats adorable.

you're, like, an "evil arab" owner, as opposed to an "evil owner" of arabs.

sirena_chaucer
Nov. 3, 2007, 12:19 PM

--When you have to pack a ladder to get on most other horses and arabian owners can just hop on so easily, without straining.:D

--You watch them ayrabs stand there gazella like, so pretty and then move around, like living graceful works of art, with their finely chiseled features and that flag of a tail and wonder why other horses tend to look so, well, less classy.;)

--You see how lightly arabians step, can't hardly hear them touch the ground and some of the other horses sound like an earthquake approaching, you can feel the ground tremble when they trot by.:lol:

Enlightening post- what *have* I been doing with my thunder-producing 17 hand boys? Where's my Arab? :lol: There would be no fear of bolting as I could always stop one by dropping my heels to the ground... :winkgrin:

To tell the truth, when I was eight years old, my first *love* was a grey Arabian mare named Rosie. *awww*

~Freedom~
Nov. 3, 2007, 12:27 PM
:lol: So glad you're having fun with your bad self! Would sure hate for you to get bored. You might become a flank biter, or stall walker. That would be tragic. :cry: SLC has taken a break from the boards, so I'm apparently the new target.

SLC said she is only posting on Sundays so I expect she will reply tomorrow.

I happen to love the look of a great moving Arabian. I have always defended the Arab's place on the dressage scene. Always will. Dressage is about training, suppling, advancing, creating a rideable and pleasant horse, an overall picture of harmony and elegance. It isn't supposed to be about 17 hand freight trains bounding down the center line out of control and threatening the life of the person on their back.

On the rare occasion an arab can do well. There were a few arab and arab crosses doing FEI some years back in the US and Canada but they were atypical for the breed. Straight hind ends and temperaments that required correct handling were required to make it work.

The problem I have seen is not in the horse itself but in the owner and the owners expectations. I remember one arab stallion owner that took her horse to a big arab show in the jumping competition. She was ranting on and on that her horse was going to win everything. Well her rant turned into disgust at the SHOW after the jump class when her stallion knocked down the first two fences. She stated they were not paced out correctly. Now just HOW can the very first jump be not placed correctly and the second one was way down at the other end of the arena.:eek:

It is THIS type of mentality that makes non arab people roll their eyes in sheer disbelief.

Sakura
Nov. 3, 2007, 01:10 PM
Here is a pic of my new Arabian (http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/Copperleaf/?action=view&current=DD_Canter2small.jpg) mare :). Just brought her home today :cool:.

hitchinmygetalong
Nov. 3, 2007, 01:21 PM
Here is a pic of my new Arabian (http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/Copperleaf/?action=view&current=DD_Canter2small.jpg) mare :). Just brought her home today :cool:.

:eek:

Beautiful photo of a lovely horse.

rcloisonne
Nov. 3, 2007, 02:04 PM
On the rare occasion an arab can do well. There were a few arab and arab crosses doing FEI some years back in the US and Canada but they were atypical for the breed. Straight hind ends and temperaments that required correct handling were required to make it work.
They don't all have straight hind ends. Too many do (see that thread on the "Arab" with a rough canter) but a good motor is not that hard to find in the breed.

The problem I have seen is not in the horse itself but in the owner and the owners expectations. I remember one arab stallion owner that took her horse to a big arab show in the jumping competition. She was ranting on and on that her horse was going to win everything. Well her rant turned into disgust at the SHOW after the jump class when her stallion knocked down the first two fences. She stated they were not paced out correctly. Now just HOW can the very first jump be not placed correctly and the second one was way down at the other end of the arena.:eek:
And I suppose warmblood or TB or QH owners are always humble and their horses never take down a rail? :rolleyes:

Ghazzu
Nov. 3, 2007, 02:18 PM
They don't all have straight hind ends. Too many do (see that thread on the "Arab" with a rough canter) but a good motor is not that hard to find in the breed.

And I suppose warmblood or TB or QH owners are always humble and their horses never take down a rail? :rolleyes:

And I'll tell you this--at an Arab show, one does *not* hold up the ring for a half hour--the 2 minute rule is enforced, BNT or no. :D

~Freedom~
Nov. 3, 2007, 02:32 PM

The one I rode was an outcross so was fine in that area but it does seem to be a breed standard.

And I suppose warmblood or TB or QH owners are always humble and their horses never take down a rail? :rolleyes:Well put up a thread about why you don't like Warmblood, TB or Quarterhorse owners and I will reply to those breeds. The last I looked the title of THIS thread is why I hate arabs owners.

I have owned arab crosses, quarterhorse crosses, TB crosses full warmbloods and warmblood crosses and am one of the most breed tolerant people here, obviously you aren't.:rolleyes:

horsegirl888
Nov. 3, 2007, 02:35 PM
Yup, there are some creepy arab owners/trainers/judges out there, but there are also many awesome arab owners. It's like any breed, there are those who you would love to train with/ride with/show with, and there are those who you dearly, dearly hope you will never catch sight of again. Arabs and their owners for some unknown reason just have a tougher stereotype attatched.

The horses are the same way, there are some flighty, spooky, downright nutso Arabs out there, but there are also some quiet, lovely, elegant ones too. (IMO, they are all pretty, but that's another essay).

And yes, I am a proud owner of an Anglo-Arabian who is less spooky than our Quarter horse; and also if I do say so myself, very pretty and also very much smarter than I am. As she very well knows. :)

egontoast
Nov. 3, 2007, 02:38 PM
The last I looked the title of THIS thread is why I hate arabs

Nope, definitely not. Look again.:cool:

~Freedom~
Nov. 3, 2007, 02:40 PM
Nope, definitely not. Look again.:cool:

Look again, I made the correction.

Ghazzu
Nov. 3, 2007, 02:45 PM
Yup, there are some creepy arab owners/trainers/judges out there, but there are also many awesome arab owners. It's like any breed, there are those who you would love to train with/ride with/show with, and there are those who you dearly, dearly hope you will never catch sight of again. Arabs and their owners for some unknown reason just have a tougher stereotype attatched.

I thin it's because the breed *does* attract a higher than average percentage of wingnuts. Seriously.

...(IMO, they are all pretty, but that's another essay).

Either your aesthetic standards are low, or you haven't seen enogh Arabs...:D

rcloisonne
Nov. 3, 2007, 03:25 PM
The one I rode was an outcross so was fine in that area but it does seem to be a breed standard.
The trait is unfortunately common, but it most certainly isn't a "breed standard".

Well put up a thread about why you don't like Warmblood, TB or Quarterhorse owners and I will reply to those breeds. The last I looked the title of THIS thread is why I hate arabs owners.
Um, I don't HATE warmbloods (there was this gorgeous bay Westphalian with 4 white socks I drooled over for awhile), TB's (a chestnut mare who was among the very best horses I've ever had the pleasure to ride), QH's (a good natured gelding I took a few lessons on who gave me my confidence back) or any other breed for that matter (I want to pet and hug every Shetland I see, right or wrong :lol:).

I don't judge others by the type of horse they own or ride. In general, I like most horsy folk. We ARE different from those who don't need horses in their lives. But like most, I do have non-horsy friends too. ‘Course, they think I'm a bit strange but put up with me anyway. :winkgrin:

Cold Spring Farm
Nov. 3, 2007, 05:09 PM
There do seem to be a larger percentage of "out there" owners of Arabs than of other breeds. Even as horse people go, they can be a bit strange....and uneducated. I LOVE when they tell you they have the ultimate dressage prospect for you to see, and it can barely bend it's joints!!

But the horses themselves....love 'em!

Here's one of my mares.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/Sportyhorse/Fashion%20-%206-11--06/?action=view&current=Fashion-6-11-06006.jpg

A kick to ride, big, scopey gaits. Brave, smart. Her Rosenthal son is winning at DSHB Shows and Arab shows, (European judges love him!) and she is being bred to Fabuleux this spring.

I also have a wonderful imported German hanoverian mare. BNT dressage peeps have drooled over her, and she has produced two wonderful GOV premium fillies. This year -- I bred her to produce my ultimate keeper dream horse.....she is in foal to a PB Arab (sire of the above mare!) I can't WAIT for this baby!!!!

BTW -- SAKURA -- tell us more about your lovely new mare!!!!! Congrats!

janet

~Freedom~
Nov. 3, 2007, 05:30 PM
I don't judge others by the type of horse they own or ride. In general, I like most horsey folk. We ARE different from those who don't need horses in their lives. But like most, I do have non-horsey friends too. ‘Course, they think I'm a bit strange but put up with me anyway. :winkgrin:

I don't start off judging owners by their horses or horses by their owners but over time when certain things seem to repeat themselves I start to wonder.

The rest of that story I mentioned earlier is that my friend took her horse into the same class and I rode her other horse a half arab ( by that stallion owners stud even) that was 3 months broke and only 3 years old. I was told by this same person that I was going to do terrible in my class ( it was pleasure horses age 3 and 4) because I wasn't known and my friend was going to do terrible because her half arab didn't even look part arab ( I didn't know looks counted in jumper?).

The end placings?

The stallion owner =0 ribbons--entries approx 15 in each class
My friend = one 2nd and two 3rds---entries approx 15 in each class
Myself =5th --entries 12

Seems the show selected a judge that didn't know anyone.:lol:

Sakura
Nov. 3, 2007, 07:14 PM
Cold Spring,

:D:D:D:D:D:D

I can't stop grinning!

I saw this mare three years ago when she was a three year old. I fell in love with her instantly and told myself that I would one day own her. Her name is Show Divine... she was a Fox Meadow Farm horse... they are having a HUGE dispersal sale, and when I saw her up for sale (at an 1/8th of what they paid for her) I had to snatch her up :yes:.

Here are a couple more photos... I apologize for looking slightly less skilled than a trained monkey (no offense to all the trained monkeys out there). She is a lot more horse than my little Black :p and I'm going to enjoy every moment of getting to know her :cool:.

Divine 1 (http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/Copperleaf/DD_Canter.jpg)
Divine 2 (http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/%5BIMG%5Dhttp://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/Copperleaf/DD_Trot.jpg%5B/IMG%5D)
Divine 3 (http://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/Copperleaf/?action=view&current=DD_Walk.jpg)

Cold Spring Farm
Nov. 3, 2007, 08:44 PM
Sakura;

WOW!! That is a lovely mare -- and beautifully bred, too!! Lucky you!!!!

I saw that they had a bunch of horses for sale...didn't realize it was a dispersal!!! (A complete dispersal??)

Anyhow -- can't wait to see her....looks like you will have a blast with that lovely girl.

Ooops -- sorry to hi-jack the original thread about how evil we are! Carry on!

Sakura
Nov. 3, 2007, 09:57 PM
My impression is that it is a complete dispersal. They had a hauler coming in this afternoon to pick up five horses for Canada (any idea who may have gotten them?). I asked how many they had left... they told me they had seven horses (out of thirty some) left on the farm and still for sale.

rainechyldes
Nov. 5, 2007, 03:36 PM
and I forgot,
the main thing I hate about arabian horse owners.
the call I get several times a year (as most who know me personally, know I ride endurance, as well as take on a problem horsie now and then)

caller: I have a horse for you! He's awesome.! you'll love him, he's the perfect endurance horse!
me: **sigh** how old is he? how tall is he? what's he been used for?
caller: oh he's like 12!. about 14.1 maybe? the owner is 'scared' of him cuz he acts up a bit. He's been sitting in a pasture for 3 years, and she can't afford him anymore and wants to sell him for cheap. I instantly thought of you. (of course)
me:**rolls eyes** uh huh.
caller: he's not that bad. Lots of energy on the trail! he does tend to nip and rear a bit (laugh) when you aren't paying attention, the owner really does love him. He's just perfect for you! He's an arab!
me: **thinking**12 years old, too old to start as an endurace -horse pasture puff for 3 years, spoilt rotten.. bites, rears.. and energetic means fruitbat runaway crazy. (since caller knows, I tend to own very 'hot' horses as is)
me : I'll get back to you on that.

People!
Arabian horses that are nutty over spoiled psycotic dangerously behaved freaks are not 'acceptable' endurance horses!
There is a BIG..HUGE difference between a hot horse and a wingnut.

StrawberryFrosted
Nov. 5, 2007, 03:49 PM
I don't own an Arab but I have read all your posts and YOU GUYS ARE FUNNY!:lol:
I couldn't stop laughing at some of your posts!!

Sorry, just had to comment....

twnkltoz
Nov. 5, 2007, 03:59 PM
Us arab owners are very funny people.

fourhorses
Nov. 5, 2007, 04:06 PM
Rainechyldes -- I think I know that horse too!

In all defense to at least part of the Arab owning/loving contingent (and I do love my little old Arab terrorist, horsey potty mouth and all), there is a lot of what you speak out there. It makes for the stereotype and is a cross we Arab owning folk all must bear (doubly so if you're breed eclectic -- eccentric??? -- like my family and me).

There are a lot of overly spoiled, underused Arabs out there -- and being the bright, energetic little horses that they are, that can quickly turn to more evil than your average bear, er...horse. My old man, I got him as a previously spoiled, cooped up stud (the horror, the horror) at the tender age of 4 -- he was simply awful (of course he hadn't been out of a stall to speak of either for 2 years, so who could blame him really? the poor guy creaked when we got him on the trailer) -- kicked, nipped, spooked, charged doors/gates/other horses. Well, there was a cure (and no it wasn't any new age horsey special powers training either) -- we chopped his nuts, turned him out with the most no nonsense old gelding we had, put him in training, and treated him just like he was any of the TBs, stock horses, or warmbloods we had owned; if he did anything untoward he got his little fanny popped! It happened a lot those first few years, as he had 4 years of spoilage and cossetting to undo (and really, it was almost what I'd call abuse, he didn't even get turn out or work after being treated like a little precious, and then he was labelled "the crazy, wild Arab stallion", how fair was that to him?)-- but he became a very solid, albeit salty, stand up kinda guy citizen with a very good work ethic who takes care of his rider...and steals apples shamelessly from right under my warmblood's nose!

rainechyldes
Nov. 5, 2007, 05:37 PM
Oh I don't mind the 'little' devil' that most ayraby horses tend to display at times. I appreciate their unique thought processes. Once had a loffly little mare who I've always said was way way smarter then I, and way braver to boot. If it wasn't something she couldn't figure out how to get over/under/through or around, it just wasn't meant to be. (translation - I never could figure out how the heck to keep her in on the inside of a fenceline, stall..barn.. lucky for me, her escapes merely led her to the garden where she took great pleasure in stomping my veggies into mush- and the one occasion where she marched up onto the porch and let herself into the kitchen without even knocking. Yes -- I still have the hoof marks in the linoeluem)

However unless that personality is tempered with good solid manners and a clear understanding that I am the boss, they do get a 'come to jesus' experience that quickly settles that misconception on their part:)

NOMIOMI1
Nov. 5, 2007, 05:43 PM
Im buying another one too! I said I would never own one and now Ill own one and a 1/2. Do you have to always be in arabs or does it happen when you buy your first one. I wanna watch for the signs of become an oficial arab owner.

Sakura
Nov. 6, 2007, 06:54 AM
Im buying another one too! I said I would never own one and now Ill own one and a 1/2. Do you have to always be in arabs or does it happen when you buy your first one. I wanna watch for the signs of become an oficial arab owner.

See, that's just the thing... Arabians are like Lay's potato chips... you can't stop at one ;).

Resistance is futile... Once an Arabian owner, always an Arabian owner :winkgrin:.

NOMIOMI1
Nov. 7, 2007, 11:36 AM
My new half arab is coming this saturday! Do I tell people this is my new horse shes a half arab or is that snobbish? Maybe I should just keep em guessing so they dont think Im stuck up or anything! Maybe Ill just hide her Identity so that people will still like me!

Sakura
Nov. 8, 2007, 06:51 AM
My new half arab is coming this saturday! Do I tell people this is my new horse shes a half arab or is that snobbish? Maybe I should just keep em guessing so they dont think Im stuck up or anything! Maybe Ill just hide her Identity so that people will still like me!

I have learned not to volunteer info, but wait to be asked instead :). Then you can gush guilt free and uninhibited about your wonderful HA and not seem like a braggart... seeing that they asked and all :winkgrin: :D.