PDA

View Full Version : America's Eq Star --- WHO WON?????

Pages : [1] 2

eggbutt
Oct. 25, 2007, 04:21 PM
Don't forget....9 AM EST tomorrow morning on Fox Reality!

Coreene
Oct. 25, 2007, 05:01 PM
Thank you, I would have forgotten! Too bad this means I have to get up at 6 (an unholy hour for me, and since I cannot program the VCR I have no choice).

Puddin Pie
Oct. 25, 2007, 10:20 PM
got it TVoed. Thanks.

TeddyRocks
Oct. 26, 2007, 10:58 AM
Brendan's out... Sad but...

I have to say, Robert kept going on about the people being monotone...

Uhh Robert?

All in all very entertaining...

What did everyone else think?

europferde
Oct. 26, 2007, 11:04 AM
Great episode! It just goes to show you that its much easier to "own" your own arena than someone else's. We've all been through that. You had to feel for them; not only were they on the spot in front of Robert and Katherine but being filmed for a TV production. Talk about intimidating knowing that many would see their "imaginary" clinic. Looking forward to next week.

www.europferde.com

eggbutt
Oct. 26, 2007, 11:33 AM
I HATE Brendan is out.....I know him and he doesn't teach the way he did on the show.....just goes to show you how hard it must have been having all the cameras pointing at you.

I thought this episode was really good and pointed out many "basic" concepts that all horse folks should know and should be able to understand.

Kudos again to Karin for sponsoring this program and pushing it to get on the air!!

mephistopheles
Oct. 26, 2007, 11:51 AM
Dang, I missed it again :mad:

PiaffeDreams
Oct. 26, 2007, 12:22 PM
I really liked the show. I didn't watch last week because I thought I didn't have the channel, but lo and behold. So, was up at 6am this week. I thought it was terrific and seems to be a very real test of the whole package that a trainer must be, particularly at the level of being Robert's assistant.

However, you could really feel for the contestants! Cameras, pressure...

I'll definitely continue to tune in.

swgarasu
Oct. 26, 2007, 12:34 PM
Brendan's out... Sad but...

I have to say, Robert kept going on about the people being monotone...

Uhh Robert?

All in all very entertaining...

What did everyone else think?

I guess I should have known better than to read this- but it would be nice if folks would post a heads up about spoilers, for those of us recording the show to watch later. That's really about the only truly exciting the the show has going for it.

Obviously I haven't watched this week's episode yet- I did watch last week's, and thought it was ok but not super. It's not actually all that horsey. Most of what you see of the horses is short, repetitive clips.
It's just 6 people that aren't like the normal loons you generally see on reality shows, all trying to do their best. The show is obviously trying to make things more dramatic, the way Fox does-- "OMG the horse went lame. We MUST UNRAVEL THE MYSTERY! Was this a PRE-EXISTING CONDITION? Will the horse recover by TOMORROW?" Um, the horse is lame, it sucks, it happens, and no, it probably won't be fine tomorrow, it'll probably still be lame. Move on. We don't need to see Robert Dover fretting for the sake of the film crew. The whole show is basically trying to make something exciting out of something that isn't really- at best it's kind of interesting to those of us that are really into the sport, but not as interesting as it could be because it's not horse-centric.
On the plus side, most of the horses are BEAUTIFUL and the facilities are INCREDIBLE. I would like someone RICH to ADOPT ME and send me to SUMMER CAMP there every year (or, you know, winter camp, seeing as how it is Florida).

Coreene
Oct. 26, 2007, 01:58 PM
I would have used a plastic surgeon in Newport Beach. ;)

Edited to say that while I understand that Offield put the show together in the first place, this week's constant repetition of the Offield logo got very old very fast. I was just waiting for a scroll at the bottom of the screen to pop up and flash Lingh's stud fee.

Hidden Pond Farm
Oct. 26, 2007, 05:27 PM

Gee, and I was blaming the camera lighting....

Dressage Art
Oct. 26, 2007, 05:36 PM
Loved it. Better than a first one. Now I'm starting to difirintiate the contestnats ;) at first they all acted like twins - very quiet and in a "yes, ser" manner. Probably terrified of RD. Was very suprised to see how 16 year old kid pulled it off while others got frozen... too bad...

So, do you think that episod 3 = lame horse #3 as well?

Pommederue
Oct. 26, 2007, 05:48 PM
I loved it again this week! I fast forwarded through the Elvira commercials and the constant re-introductions. I liked how Robert was trying to make them more enthusiastic about their job at hand. You want to be successful and win?-- you better learn how to teach, speak with authority, hold an audience, as well as know your basics and have confidence --and we have to like you, -- (Riding really well does not seem to be the main prerequisite since some are better than others) I actually thought Robert was a little soft on them in the end...not like the Donald would have been for sure...

RubyLink
Oct. 26, 2007, 06:56 PM
Do any of you know if there is a website to watch the show online? I have class at the time the show is on and I really want to watch it.
Thanks Britt

K Bayo
Oct. 26, 2007, 07:40 PM
Didn't see the first one but thought this episode was great. Robert needs to wear dark glasses as the camera lights were not very friendly. Catherine is very poised. What was with Tina Konyot? Why was she there?

Bogey2
Oct. 26, 2007, 07:53 PM
Britt, try here
http://http://www.americanequestrianstar.tv/

I can't catch the whole thing....but caught the last few minutes of both episodes...I LOVE it!

dwblover
Oct. 26, 2007, 08:22 PM
I thought is was great again. I was stunned by how well Jamil did. I expected him to freeze like Brendan did. Can't wait for next week!

trailhorse1
Oct. 26, 2007, 08:26 PM
America, wake up. Do you know what your children are watching?

Dalfan
Oct. 26, 2007, 08:33 PM

Why be such a kill-joy? It's just a TV show, lighten up. Are you always this grim?

I thought Alisha would be out. She is too passive.

Classical DQ
Oct. 26, 2007, 08:49 PM
Just a reminder as you think about the riders and how they are teaching...this was filmed over a year and a half ago...March of 2006. If you have met them since that time, I am sure that they have changed and their teaching, riding, etc. has improved. This was a huge learning experience for all of them!!!!

Bogey2
Oct. 26, 2007, 09:03 PM

ummmmmmm....why?

katarine
Oct. 26, 2007, 09:04 PM
to Trailhorse1,

Sorry sweetie, but you are wrong to stick your nose in your fellow poster's business, let alone criticize their TV choices. You have your opinions and ideas but they are yours. You need to stay our of what your fellow COTHers do and what they watch on TV.
I do not stick my nose in who or what my fellow COTHes do or use as farriers, vets, trainers, instructors, ect, ect. If they get burned, then that is a lesson they need to experience. If they ask my opinion, then I will share my thoughts, ideas and experiences but otherwise they are on their own. You are a just another COTHer, and caretaker of horses, not the vet, farrier, chiro., MOMMA, BIG BROTHER, or PRISON GUARD. ect.

If they wish to do things a certain way than who are you to tell them they are wrong?

Peee Esss I'm quoting you in case I sound eerily familiar :)

NoDQhere
Oct. 26, 2007, 10:56 PM

Edited to say that while I understand that Offield put the show together in the first place, this week's constant repetition of the Offield logo got very old very fast. I was just waiting for a scroll at the bottom of the screen to pop up and flash Lingh's stud fee.

Come on now, Karin Offield has made huge financial contributions to Dressage. She certainly deserves "credit" for doing all she has done to PROMOTE DRESSAGE :yes:

dalpal
Oct. 27, 2007, 01:36 AM
It was fun to watch. Sorry to see Branden go. But he's found his niche here in NC anyway. ;)

By the way...Trailhorse is either a troll or someone in dire need of happy pills...don't feed the troll. :lol:

Aimee Thanatogenus
Oct. 27, 2007, 03:37 AM

What a moronic thing to say. And you are couching your nastiness in namby-pamby-ism.

Barf.

EssentialEQST
Oct. 27, 2007, 05:19 AM
Trailhorse, what's it to you???

If you don't want to watch it, don't. If you don't want your children watching it, then don't let them.

That being said...

I was kind of surprised to see JJ in the bottom three, but I think Robert and Katherine put more expectations into her because she has had the most exposure. I was sad to see her mount, Chip, go lame w/ a suspens. inj. but they happen offen. I think anyone that spends enough time on and around their horses know when they aren't right either in soundness or personality.

Anyone know who JJ's new mount is??? Pedigree/training??

onzbit
Oct. 27, 2007, 09:11 AM
This show is wonderful! Very well done. I just wish they had worn Helmets. Safty should always come first. Other than that, it is super, hope we have more dressage on TV.
Everyone on the show is very lucky to be a part of such a great show.

Coreene
Oct. 27, 2007, 11:41 AM
Come on now, Karin Offield has made huge financial contributions to Dressage. She certainly deserves "credit" for doing all she has done to PROMOTE DRESSAGE :yes:Well, credit and in-your-face, repetitive product placement are two different things. I did say that I realize that she put the show together; go back and read again if necessary. As such, I would expect that we would see the Offield logo on the show. But not over and over and over and over and over, as we do with those hats. The only show with more blatant product placement is American Idol and their Coke/Ford sponsorship.

On the whole it is a cute show. Too bad they couldn't get Animal Planet to pick it up instead, so that more people would actually get to see it.

lizathenag
Oct. 27, 2007, 11:47 AM
I wish they had dumped the middle contestant of the last three. Took no responsibility for her poor performance.

I wish they would focus more on safety (pony club background coming through). I don't like lead ropes over shoulders and those horses should be tied up when putting on and off the shipping boots.

But I am enjoying watching it.

Dressage62
Oct. 27, 2007, 01:02 PM
I agree about the safety issues-- not wearing helmets! Oh, dear!
Also, I only saw the synopsis on the website, but when one of the six mounted her horse, the reins were on the buckle.
I agree with the comments about making drama just for the television camera.
Also, if everyone's riding was such a "trainwreck," then why did he let anyone ride beyond a walk? To me, it's like someone who can't trot over a ground pole, so you set up a 6 foot jump and say, "You'll just have to raise your riding standard."

HotIITrot
Oct. 27, 2007, 02:35 PM
... Also, if everyone's riding was such a "trainwreck," then why did he let anyone ride beyond a walk? To me, it's like someone who can't trot over a ground pole, so you set up a 6 foot jump and say, "You'll just have to raise your riding standard."

I know you only saw the synopsis, but you have to remember that it's just giving you bits and pieces. The synopsis is better than not seeing anything, but it's keeping the viewer at a guessing state (ex. as to what people are referring to when they say something).

Earlier in the first episode the candidates were giving each other lessons, one on one. When Robert brought them into the barn he was reviewing their performance. When he got to the last two people (I don't remember who they were) he was saying that he thought their specific ride/clinic/teaching was a train wreck (meaning unorganized, unproductive, etc...).

Also, IMO when he said that the candidates needed to raise the bar I believe he was basically saying: If you want to be America's Next Equestrian Star everyone is going to have to raise the bar (in that they need to be more organized, prepared, effective, etc...)

I don't think episode 2 is up on the internet yet. What I just saw on the website was of episode 1.

This really is a great show. If I had to guess who is going to win at this point in time, I’d guess Becca.

HotIITrot
Oct. 27, 2007, 02:45 PM
I guess I should have known better than to read this- but it would be nice if folks would post a heads up about spoilers, for those of us recording the show to watch later. That's really about the only truly exciting the the show has going for it. ...

I understand what you're saying, but honestly if you know you're going to be watching it later then you may want to wait to come onto the thread until you've seen it. People who have seen it before you get a chance to are probably going to be posting about it.

dalpal
Oct. 27, 2007, 06:47 PM
I understand what you're saying, but honestly if you know you're going to be watching it later then you may want to wait to come onto the thread until you've seen it. People who have seen it before you get a chance to are probably going to be posting about it.

That's exactly what I did...I assumed that the thread would have spoilers, therefore, I did not open until after I had watched.

GreekDressageQueen
Oct. 27, 2007, 07:19 PM

I think it's Theo. Ignore the troll.

Dalfan
Oct. 27, 2007, 09:37 PM
I think it's Theo. Ignore the troll.

No, not Theo. He's not capable of altering his style/verbage so much. Hence, why he has been caught so easily.

petitefilly
Oct. 27, 2007, 10:26 PM
Whew, and not one person has outed the final person yet. What a miracle. BTW. Does anyone know what reward the final choice gets besides being RD's new assistant? I'm not trying to be snide, but do they get a car or a couple of bucks, or what? I missed anyone announcing what the winner was awarded, a job? Seems kinda lackluster in it's appeal to me____ but I'm not easily amused. :) :) :):

SuffolkRider
Oct. 27, 2007, 10:54 PM
At least one prize is a three- or four-horse trailer with bumpout living quarters and the show's logo. Can't remember the exact wording but it has the year 2006 as well.
That would encourage me to get my act together!

yaya
Oct. 28, 2007, 01:46 AM
I love how they said at the beginning of this episode (can't remember if they said it in the first one too) that along with the trailer and the apprenticeship with Robert, they also get "a chance to compete in the Olympics".

Yeah, I have a chance to compete in the Olympics too! A very very very small one, but a chance! Of course, whoever wins this will get looked at a little harder than other people, but hopefully they would have to EARN the spot like everybody else. (Of course, we are talking Robert Dover here, so maybe it would be an automatic spot!)

egontoast
Oct. 28, 2007, 07:23 AM
'A chance to compete in the Olympics' because you assist someone who was an Olympic rider? That's pushing it.

No one in the US is going to the Olympics without a BIG sponsor to buy them internationally competitive horses and training. If the prize was a lucrative sponsorship, that wild claim might carry more weight.:)

I suspect that was thrown in to make it seem more glamorous for the non riding viewers.

yaya
Oct. 28, 2007, 10:25 AM
But, it IS Dover.
Look at his current assistant Katherine. Since his back trouble, she's riding his horses in International Competition (Rainier, Kennedy). The horses are still owned by the same person, but now she's sponsoring the assistant.
So the next assistant (I guess if they stay with him 14 years like Katherine has!) does have a good chance at that.

Calhoun
Oct. 28, 2007, 11:40 AM
I'm going out on a limb here, does anyone think Jamal is to this program what Sanjaya was to American Idol? He is young, handsome w/ talent, but nothing compared to the other contestants. According to RD, the test in episode 2 was a failure, unless your audience were children. Both he and the assistant laughed throughout his test. I think they were more entertained than educated. Didn't he say into the camera he was not going to study for the test? The other contestants seemed much more serious. In episode 1 he showed a lot of immaturity and lack of professionalism, especially when given a new horse.

I think Brandon got a bad break, but it's show business and sponsors want you coming back each week . . . drama and more drama!

eqipoize
Oct. 28, 2007, 12:39 PM
Well, I have enjoyed the show so far. I could say ALL sorts of clever and catty remarks about why Jamil is still in the running - but I will hold my tongue and just let your imaginations run wild on the young boy as assistant concept!

I find it very interesting that to keep the winner from being revealed, obviously the assistants job hasn't been filled, or else anyone who worked with RD would Know - wouldn't be much of a secret would it? And I guess the winner isn't getting to haul around in that nifty new trailer either! I was on a game show many years ago, and they didn't award your prize money until 90 days after the show AIRED! Guess the contestants signed a similar contract - along with a vow of secrecy.

The bits of training have been interesting - some nice visual images, I actually like RD as a trainer more than I expected. I do think that non dressage people may not understand the word 'Forward' that keeps getting talked about, and it might be nice if they made some concession to the less educated part of the audience.

I have to say, I am very tempted to go out and try to ride and talk my way through a 20 minute imaginary clinic on the topic of the basics of dressage and what is a half halt. I don't know if the contestants knew in advance the topic or not. If not, then it was pretty 'unfair' - since if you are preforming at a horse fair, you know in advance what you are talking about and can work up a sort of outline to make the talk more cohesive.

From the bits shown, all the contestants could use instruction in public presentation - maybe RD should have brought in someone to teach That instead of taking them on a tour of a surgical unit and to a horse show! Anders Lindgren used to teach instructor seminars with wonderful clear simple lessons about HOW to teach - where to stand, how to project your voice, that you must 'own' the arena, put on a show, ask the rider for feedback, etc.

Most dressage riders don't get lessons in how to teach, and that is why we have a lot of less than ideal teachers. Even in the USDF instructor's workshops, there is not enough teaching on how to teach - mostly format on how to pass the test!

But I do need to go to the Fox Reality website and sing some praises. If we don't raise a fuss they won't know how much we appreciate seeing REAL dressage - and not movie dribble (like the Longshot!!!).

Should we start a betting pool on who wins. As much as I respect JJ Tate, I don't think she wins because she is a mature trainer and not 'maleable' enough. But exceptional promotion for her, and it was a really good choice for her to apply. She showed a lot of awareness in picking up on Chip's devoping lameness before it even manifest itself in visible limping! And she found her own replacement, and took her trailer and went and picked it up!!! She is my kind of girl!

So, who IS working in RD's barn now that Katherine is off competing??? Enquiring minds want to know (and love to guess).

EssentialEQST
Oct. 28, 2007, 12:49 PM
If JJ doesn't win it, I think Becca is the next best bet.

Velvet
Oct. 28, 2007, 12:50 PM
I haven't seen this show (no cable access at the moment), but I certainly hope people out here have realized by now that there is NO SUCH THING AS A REALITY TV SHOW. All of these shows are unscripted television. This means the participants are given direction on how to behave, but are not handed a script. So these people behave in extreme ways to make the director and producer happy--so the show will sell and be popular.

It's all about money and entertainment, it's not about reality. This doesn't mean some of the people don't have some talent, but the show is not about that, well not in the producers mind. It's about getting an audience, and not just an audience filled with DQs and DQ-wannabes.

Just thought I'd remind everyone, and maybe enlighten some others who don't know this fact. ;)

Oh, and a note to those who want these topics noted as having spoilers or not I have something to say. This is a dressage board, and they are posting a topic about a dressage related show, of course it has spoilers! That's to be expected. To expect a tag stating things are spoilers is pretty ridiculous. :lol:

Aimee Thanatogenus
Oct. 28, 2007, 01:29 PM
Yeah, we know it's highly produced entertainment, it would be completely naive to imagine otherwise.
Though, it is enjoyable entertainment. They pack more dressage information into these episodes than they do in an entire Olympic NBC broadcast, so let's not get ridiculous.
I'm going to voice my support to Fox and thank them:
http://www.foxreality.com/contactus.php
Udo2
:winkgrin:

Calhoun
Oct. 28, 2007, 02:21 PM
Aimee, thanks for the link. I sent in an email.

Dalfan
Oct. 28, 2007, 04:21 PM
So, who IS working in RD's barn now that Katherine is off competing??? Enquiring minds want to know (and love to guess).

Someone on a previous thread spilled the beans a while ago. I could tell you if you really want to know.

Piaffe~Passage
Oct. 28, 2007, 05:09 PM
Where is the previous thread on this?

HotIITrot
Oct. 28, 2007, 05:54 PM
... All of these shows are unscripted television. This means the participants are given direction on how to behave, but are not handed a script. So these people behave in extreme ways to make the director and producer happy--so the show will sell and be popular. ...

That might explain why Jamil looked into the cameras and bluntly said he didn't need to study (Remember the audience knows he is 16 & he just said that!). All the while everyone else is like, 'I'm going to study so hard'. I guess some people are naturally like that, but I can't help and wonder if that's why he did/said that.

KZ4Horses
Oct. 29, 2007, 12:02 PM
That might explain why Jamil looked into the cameras and bluntly said he didn't need to study (Remember the audience knows he is 16 & he just said that!). All the while everyone else is like, 'I'm going to study so hard'. I guess some people are naturally like that, but I can't help and wonder if that's why he did/said that.

When the line up for the show was announced I immediately did a double take when I saw Jamil, then it hit me, he was one of my "horsie" myspace friends, lol!

Here is Jamil's myspace page:
http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:-kiwiDXz6PAJ:www.myspace.com/jamil123+myspace.com/jamil123&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=ca

I think the page allows a little insight into the mind of Jamil :yes:

ETA: Some of the contents of the page are a little crass, just thought I'd warn you...

eggbutt
Oct. 29, 2007, 12:07 PM
ETA: Some of the contents of the page are a little crass, just thought I'd warn you...

Amen!!!! I'm kinda guessing he didn't win cause he'd never be able to keep that much of a secret!!

KZ4Horses
Oct. 29, 2007, 12:13 PM
Amen!!!! I'm kinda guessing he didn't win cause he'd never be able to keep that much of a secret!!

LOL! I'm guessing the reason he hasn't written anything on his page regarding the show is because he isn't allowed...

Back in the day when I added him as a friend I remember thinking "wow, this kid is cocky" but he had pictures of pretty horses and that's enough for me :lol:

Pommederue
Oct. 29, 2007, 01:33 PM
When the line up for the show was announced I immediately did a double take when I saw Jamil, then it hit me, he was one of my "horsie" myspace friends, lol!

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:-kiwiDXz6PAJ:www.myspace.com/jamil123+myspace.com/jamil123&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=ca

Geez. After reading that, my opinion of Jamil just went from nice, kind of shy kid to total loser.

eggbutt
Oct. 29, 2007, 01:47 PM
I agree completely!

Dressage62
Oct. 29, 2007, 02:10 PM
Spoiler was deleted due to booing...

KZ4Horses
Oct. 29, 2007, 02:50 PM
I hope that posting the link to a certain contestants myspace page doesn't come off the wrong way. I suppose I did it because there was some speculation about his personality, and questions as to whether it was made to look that way for the sake of good television. I hope you guys find it of interest, nothing more, nothing less...

My opinion has long been formed, and it seems to go hand in hand with those who have commented after seeing the profile :yes:

EponaRoan
Oct. 29, 2007, 02:54 PM
Geez. After reading that, my opinion of Jamil just went from nice, kind of shy kid to total loser.

I didn't like the way he related to horses - he didn't seem that concerned about his (on loan, but still ...) Anglo Arab when he came up lame and wasn't too concerned about the horse being 'off' in the first place, and he didn't seem particularly interested in meeting his nice replacement horse - didn't interact with him other than to stand in the door of the stall and nod. (JJ was a total contrast in her diagnosis, concern and relating to the new horse.) Now, I realize with reality shows are very manipulated, so I cut him some slack figuring that maybe they just didn't show it, but ... damn - his myspace page shows a very immature person. And not one I'd care to be around or if I had a teenager, one that I'd want them to be around.

Dressage Art
Oct. 29, 2007, 03:03 PM
It seems that JaMIL is leaving for college and has one thing on his mind: girls. No mention of horses... will not be surprised if he will quit dressage all together; so many juniors do that at his age. As for cursing - it is immature and cliché, but let's just say that sometimes teens have a hard time finding words to express themselves ;)

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=8341702&blogID=299543192

Dressage62
Oct. 29, 2007, 03:17 PM
If you edit your message, the spoiler will be gone!

EponaRoan
Oct. 29, 2007, 03:18 PM
Oh, I'm just not a fan of the b*tch*s and h*s mode of youth speak. It may be mostly youthful posturing & bravado, but it makes me want to smack the crap out of them. Based on his actions depicted on the show, I just didn't like his horsemanship. He didn't pick up on the lameness, he wasn't that concerned about it even when the poor horse was holding his leg up and he wasn't interacting with the new horse. I came away with the impression that horses were pretty much equal to cars to him. Which may or may not be true.

dressage72
Oct. 29, 2007, 03:32 PM
BOOO :( can we please wait for spoilers untill the show is over???

Actually it's VERY public knowledge where JJ is.

But besides that..........didn't I tell you all from the FIRST show that Jamil rubbed me the wrong way! Sitting in the gazebo.....completely unappreciative about his new horse or who LOANED him that horse. Couldn't care less about the lame horse in the first place.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt, but COME ON look at that myspace. Nobody is that rude, disgusting or lacking in that much class. Wish Robert knew prior to him going there.........the kid didn't deserve it.

Oh, just wanted to add that it says he is a proud parent AND an atheist. (to each their own) but GOD forbid if he has children for real.

Hoping he is the next to go!

I'm just saying! ;)

eggbutt
Oct. 29, 2007, 03:42 PM
I can't imagine Karin and/or Robert were aware of that myspace profile before Jamil was selected. Heck, Dover even said Brendan's facial hair was unprofessional (I noticed he didn't mention the tongue ring though!:lol:)....I can't imagine his thoughts about the professionalism of that myspace page!:eek::eek::eek:

I have no inside track whatsoever, but after two episodes, I'm thinking Becca will win the prize. Koford helped her polish her skills shiny bright and I believe she truly WANTS this win.

Dressage Art
Oct. 29, 2007, 03:47 PM
As far as I know the TV shows are not exactly scripted, but they do have "roles" that produces fill. One of the roles is somebody who viewers "love to hate" So in auditions they try to find somebody who fits the profile and just let them act like themselves. Asses always will be asses and Girl Scouts always will be Girl Scouts ;) they don't need a script.

EponaRoan
Oct. 29, 2007, 04:29 PM
I don't know if it's the case with Equestrian Star, but I do know that the producers extensively manipulated this past season's Big Brother. What you saw on the network telecasts was not even close to what went on during the live feeds. And dog only knows what went on the diary room sessions. So, yeah - I take what I see on 'reality' tv with a HUGE grain of salt. Or maybe even a whole salt shaker. And a margarita. Or two. Yeah ... :D

Muddy'sMom
Oct. 29, 2007, 05:34 PM
Changing the subject for a moment, but did anyone else find it curious that RD was recommending a half halt be held for three strides? Even my non-horsey husband questioned that comment.

EssentialEQST
Oct. 29, 2007, 05:36 PM

:dead: Bit of a Potty Mouth isn't he? Not impressive (the cussing)

flshgordon
Oct. 29, 2007, 06:16 PM
:dead: Bit of a Potty Mouth isn't he? Not impressive (the cussing)

I was a bit mortified that all that is on there....HELLO did they not SCREEN the candidates for this show at all???? :confused:

Coreene
Oct. 29, 2007, 06:28 PM
Um, it's not like they filmed this last week ya know. It was spring of last year, wasn't it? Maybe the kid didn't even have a MySpace page then. Besides, it's American's Next Equestrian Star, not American's Next Person With A MySpace Page That Botox Bob Approves Of.

KZ4Horses
Oct. 29, 2007, 06:31 PM
I was a bit mortified that all that is on there....HELLO did they not SCREEN the candidates for this show at all???? :confused:

The thing is, maybe they did screen and thought Jamil would add a nice bit of "spice" to the show. Not saying I agree with it, but unfortuanetly, drama and controversy usually sells.

I haven't actually seen the show (don't get the channel :no:) but it sounds like he doesn't have the best of attitudes, even on camera, which is what makes me certain that they had some inkling, but I doubt they knew the full extent of it...

KZ4Horses
Oct. 29, 2007, 06:43 PM
Um, it's not like they filmed this last week ya know. It was spring of last year, wasn't it? Maybe the kid didn't even have a MySpace page then. Besides, it's American's Next Equestrian Star, not American's Next Person With A MySpace Page That Botox Bob Approves Of.

Actually, I've seen him on myspace plenty, probably as early as 2 years ago. I use to post in the same myspace horse forums as him. I had actually forgotten he existed until I saw his name on the shows website.

I just thought that it was interesting that he was on the show. Maybe all the crap on his page is a front, maybe not, either way, it's still questionable and somewhat derogatory. Is it any of my business, probably not! But, he did participate in a television series, which kind of puts you in the public eye and opens you up for scrutiny.

Also, if the winner is going to have a chance to make it to the Olympics, as the show states :lol: I think the contestants should exhibit some degree of class....

flshgordon
Oct. 29, 2007, 06:50 PM

It would appear he's been this way for quite a while and I don't give a flip what he's into or what he wants to put on his page (hey at least the world can read for themselves what an @sshat he is!) but come on....they wouldn't have had to do much digging to find out about his background. Who the heck would make this guy into an equestrian star knowing that he acts like this? We have enough jerkoff trainers in the world already!

Coreene
Oct. 29, 2007, 06:57 PM
It's an 18 year old boy. Who cares what is on his MySpace page? It's a reality show, people, he's not auditioning to be president of the United States. Edited to say that his MySpace page seems to be the same as lots and lots of other teens. Too bad but whatever.

KZ4Horses
Oct. 29, 2007, 07:07 PM
The thing is, we aren't saying he is going to be president. He is on a reality show, which we are obviously interested in, and hence discussing. We are also interested in the contestants, and speculating who will win, who we would like to see sent home, etc...
So while a myspace page is really of no great importance in the grand scheme of things, it tells us a little bit more about one of the contestants, and may have some bearing on whether or not ppl root for this person.

Is it a trivial and ultimately useless discussion? Yuppers, but this is the first nor the last of those 'round these parts...

HotIITrot
Oct. 29, 2007, 07:14 PM
Changing the subject for a moment, but did anyone else find it curious that RD was recommending a half halt be held for three strides? Even my non-horsey husband questioned that comment.

If I remember correctly, it wasn't RD who said anything like that, but rather one of the candidates during their little clinic/explanation (I don't remember which one said it though).

dalpal
Oct. 29, 2007, 08:14 PM
Phelisha (I think I butchered her name) was the one who said a Half Halt should be held for AT LEAST 3 strides...glad, I'm not the only one who was thinking HUH?

KZ4Horses
Oct. 29, 2007, 08:18 PM
Phelisha (I think I butchered her name) was the one who said a Half Halt should be held for AT LEAST 3 strides...glad, I'm not the only one who was thinking HUH?

Did it seem like she said it out of nervousness/error or did she actually mean it?

I sooo wish I got the channel!

HotIITrot
Oct. 29, 2007, 08:42 PM
Did it seem like she said it out of nervousness/error or did she actually mean it?

I sooo wish I got the channel!

It sounded like she meant it, but ...

It's hard to say b/c she was riding (I think trotting) when she said it. I can imagine it is a little hard to ride a good ride and explain something at the same time; especially explaining something to RD of all people, & while being video taped for a TV show. ;) With that said, it did come off as if she really did mean it.

KZ4Horses
Oct. 29, 2007, 08:53 PM
Heck, I can't even explain things well most of the time when i'm not riding :lol:

I can imagine riding with camera's on you, knowing what you are going to say will not only be scrutinized by RD, but the viewers who catch the show, would be rather mind boggling!

And in the event that she did mean what she said, while it isn't the way I ride, she is the one on the show, and not me!

see u at x
Oct. 29, 2007, 09:18 PM
Could she possibly have meant a 3 second half halt instead? God knows that if it were me, I'd be making all kinds of flubs in what I was saying. I have a hard enough time stringing together words to make a sentence in a non-stressful/casual situation! :p

HotIITrot
Oct. 29, 2007, 10:16 PM
... And in the event that she did mean what she said, while it isn't the way I ride, she is the one on the show, and not me!

Yeah, but did you apply? ;)

SaraTx
Oct. 29, 2007, 10:31 PM
I think Jamil should have been asked to leave when he showed up for the elimination round in nasty baggy jeans. He just needs to go!

mroades
Oct. 29, 2007, 10:33 PM
"Survivor-Gay Dressage Island"....LOL
For me, Jamil would have been gone the instant he showed up for the "talk" in his JEANS!!!!!

mroades
Oct. 29, 2007, 10:34 PM
Lol, Sarah, we think alike!!

SSFLandon
Oct. 29, 2007, 10:41 PM
I think Jamil should have been asked to leave when he showed up for the elimination round in nasty baggy jeans. He just needs to go!

I thought the same thing...those jeans were nasty...but, typical for his personality.

SaraTx
Oct. 29, 2007, 10:41 PM
he's just a punk ass! i'd'a bitch slapped him when he sat there like a smart ass when RD was telling him he needed to find out the owner's name and thank him/her.

Eventer13
Oct. 29, 2007, 10:48 PM
Since I can't watch the show: this kid has been kicked off, right? And hopefully TOLD OFF, too? Maybe if an Olympic medalist told him he was unprofessional in every sense of the word, it would get through to him.

HotIITrot
Oct. 29, 2007, 10:52 PM
Lol, Sarah, we think alike!!

Ha, I noticed that too! I was jesting that he was probably thinking that he was a goner & was all packed and ready to hit the road.

Actually, it was the look on Philesha face when she realized she wasn't eliminated that was priceless. :lol:

EssentialEQST
Oct. 29, 2007, 11:10 PM
Since I can't watch the show: this kid has been kicked off, right? And hopefully TOLD OFF, too? Maybe if an Olympic medalist told him he was unprofessional in every sense of the word, it would get through to him.

Probably not, but I noticed something in his myspace pictures, the one of him in the shadbelly he says it's Robert's Olympic jacket...

dalpal
Oct. 29, 2007, 11:12 PM
Could she possibly have meant a 3 second half halt instead? God knows that if it were me, I'd be making all kinds of flubs in what I was saying. I have a hard enough time stringing together words to make a sentence in a non-stressful/casual situation! :p

I do think this was the case.

I would have a hard time thinking that fast on my feet that's for sure.....and if you were doing a dressage demonstration for beginners...why would you even mention the half halt???? I didn't quite understand why Robert Dover thought it was so important to explain it to beginners. Just my two cents.

europferde
Oct. 30, 2007, 12:45 AM
Checked out Jamil's my space. I must admit I'm disgusted but then again its pretty much what you get with these spoiled, self-absorbed, ungrateful, little shits. Its quite the rage to be like that these days. Its cool. They have to seem like they are such mean, hard asses. I have a coming 21 year old - I KNOW (he's finally, slowly, becoming human again). One can only hope that he (Jamil) grows out of it. Youth really is so wasted on the young!!!

www.europferde.com

Halt At X
Oct. 30, 2007, 09:41 AM

Nope, it was another guy that got the boot. Nothing was said to him regarding his attire.

HotIITrot
Oct. 30, 2007, 09:44 AM
I do think this was the case.

I would have a hard time thinking that fast on my feet that's for sure ...

That seems to be what would make the most sense; seconds and strides both begin with s ;). Like I said though, who knows, maybe she did mean it.

... and if you were doing a dressage demonstration for beginners...why would you even mention the half halt???? I didn't quite understand why Robert Dover thought it was so important to explain it to beginners. Just my two cents.

I kept thinking the same thing. Actually, I found myself not really being that impressed with many of the clinic demos due to the fact that they were supposed to be catered towards beginners & I don't think the candidates did a very good job of explaining things on that level. I may be wrong here, but I'm not so sure RD insisted that they explain the half-halt in their demos. Then again maybe it was a requirement; everyone (except Jamil, of course) was studying materials the night before for a reason I guess. I think that part of the show was a little confusing.

Poor Brendan, he knows that he really did blow that part of the show. Hey, you live and you learn. I remember when he was doing it I was thinking that he seemed to be reciting info to prove to RD that he did indeed study the night before rather than actually teach the info. He was in the middle of reciting when he drew a complete blank, then the poor guy got stuck. You could see in his face that he knew how much he messed up & I really think that just clouded his mind. It was like a downward spiral from there & I think he eventually just gave up. Like I said though, you live and you learn!

Sonesta
Oct. 30, 2007, 11:00 AM
In my ancient theatre days, we called what happened to Brandon, "flop sweat." You've forgotten your lines. You know it. You struggle. You die. Not pretty, but happens to everyone some time or another.

Dressage Art
Oct. 30, 2007, 01:18 PM
if you were doing a dressage demonstration for beginners...why would you even mention the half halt???? I didn't quite understand why Robert Dover thought it was so important to explain it to beginners.

It was for dressage beginners, b/c up and coming trainers usually train dressage beginners. Robert is ALL about the Half Halt. It is the most important thing for RD. He was trying really hard to let everybody know that if you can ride the Half Halt, you can ride. That good riders ride from movement to movement, but great riders ride from Half Halt to Half Halt. He said several times that riders better understand, learn and be able to clearly explain, demonstrate the HH. The HH was supposed to be held for 3 strides with a closed outside rein - the same way as Jane Savoe describes the HH in her videos "Half Halt demystified". Several riders recited RD definitions word for word. One of the best ones was Jamil in remembering it word for word, who also recited RD Half Halt definition "as per Robert Dover". Even if he didn't study, he made a quite good presentation. May be still being at school he has a sharp memory and used doing presentations affront of the class?

RD had one other strong requirement to memorize, that dressage rider should be able to control 3 things. Again he repeated them in several different situations. Here is the question: do you remember what are they? If not, you would off flunked the RD exam ;)

egontoast
Oct. 30, 2007, 01:28 PM
Generally speaking, most beginners need to think about getting the horse forward from their aids before they even begin to think of a half halt.

The HH was supposed to be held for 3 strides with a closed outside rein - the same way as Jane Savoe describes the HH in her videos "Half Halt demystified".

I can't understand why people say this. A half halt should be as long or as short as it needs to be for the particular moment. JMHV.

HotIITrot
Oct. 30, 2007, 02:45 PM
... RD had one other strong requirement to memorize, that dressage rider should be able to control 3 things. Again he repeated them in several different situations. Here is the question: do you remember what are they? If not, you would off flunked the RD exam ;)

Forward, Straight, & um, um Rhythm?

Hazelnut
Oct. 30, 2007, 02:53 PM
Forward, impulsion, and between the aids???

I don't have cable, but he says something on that highlight video.

Adding after watching highlight video: Robert Dover says you can control three things on the horse: the frame, the length of the stride, and the rythem

Fallbrook
Oct. 30, 2007, 04:37 PM
I can't understand why people say this. A half halt should be as long or as short as it needs to be for the particular moment. JMHV.

Yes - but how may riders are born knowing just how long a half-halt should be? It takes some time to develop the feel for the correct response from the horse. A beginner rider generally needs some guidelines as to how long to apply the aids, once they start getting the correct response from the horse they can make adjustments as needed.

KZ4Horses
Oct. 30, 2007, 04:59 PM
Yeah, but did you apply? ;)

No, I would never apply to be on something like that, for fear of being laughed at, or booed, or both!!

I sometimes find that equestrian's can be the harshest critic's....:lol:

dalpal
Oct. 30, 2007, 06:17 PM
Generally speaking, most beginners need to think about getting the horse forward from their aids before they even begin to think of a half halt.

Thank you, and I totally agree.

dalpal
Oct. 30, 2007, 06:19 PM
Yes - but how may riders are born knowing just how long a half-halt should be? It takes some time to develop the feel for the correct response from the horse. A beginner rider generally needs some guidelines as to how long to apply the aids, once they start getting the correct response from the horse they can make adjustments as needed.

Agree..AND if it is just a demonstration.....and NOT a lesson, I can just see beginners going home and trying to copy what they saw....not always good.

Dressage Art
Oct. 30, 2007, 06:21 PM
COTH posters disagree with several consecutive Olympian and with anohter author of 3 video tapes about the Half Halt :D Priceless!

Robert Dover says you can control three things on the horse: the frame, the length of the stride, and the rythem
I just went to the FEI Trainers conference with Ian Brink and he said exactly the same thing: that riders need to control three things on the horse: the frame, the length of the stride, and the rhythm/tempo.
Frame: start with low, stretching frame, bring up the horse to the "show frame" and end with low, relaxing frame as well. Ability to achieve the right/left flexion and right/left bend.
Length of the stride: extended trot and collected trot
Rhythm/Tempo: piafe and passage with various activity, animation of legs, taking more weight on the hind and lightening the front.
Those are in addition to training pyramid requirements and practiced in every training session.

Hazelnut
Oct. 30, 2007, 06:40 PM
COTH posters disagree with several consecutive Olympian and with anohter author of 3 video tapes about the Half Halt :D Priceless!

I just went to the FEI Trainers conference with Ian Brink and he said exactly the same thing: that riders need to control three things on the horse: the frame, the length of the stride, and the rhythm/tempo.
Frame: start with low, stretching frame, bring up the horse to the "show frame" and end with low, relaxing frame as well. Ability to achieve the right/left flexion and right/left bend.
Rhythm/Tempo: piafe and passage with various activity, animation of legs, taking more weight on the hind and lightening the front.
Those are in addition to training pyramid requirements and practiced in every training session.

So much to learn...so little time. By the time I can ride well enough to execute forward, straight, and relaxed with ease I will find out just how much MORE there is to learn...

dalpal
Oct. 30, 2007, 06:55 PM

Okay, so you are going to get beginners to understand HOW to do this within 20 minutes and not on a horse??? That is MY POINT here.

If I went to a seminar on Cutting horses and the cowboy spent twenty minutes telling me about his aiding...I'd be bored to tears...why, because I'm just interested in the sport, save the details till I'm actually taking the lessons.

JMO.

I have a trainer to teach me half halting, I wouldn't expect to learn how to do it in a 20 minute seminar.

Oh and PSSSSTTTT, I own the Half Halt Demystified tapes..and even though I understood what she was saying....I learned the half halt from my current trainer who does an INCREDIABLE JOB teaching how to feel it...something you can't understand without being on the horse with someone there helping you with the timing.

Coreene
Oct. 30, 2007, 08:59 PM
Funny, I specifically remember Dover telling the participants to include information about the half halt in their 20 minute spiel.

Brian Lowry at Variety says it well: Anybody paying the slightest bit of attention can see how staged most reality programs are, even without the little scandals that periodically arise -- once greeted with shock, now mostly dismissed with yawns -- whether it's re-shooting sequences on MTV's "The Hills" or the nature-loving host of Discovery's "Man vs Wild" bunking in posh hotels.

petitefilly
Oct. 30, 2007, 11:44 PM
I'm going out on a limb here, does anyone think Jamal is to this program what Sanjaya was to American Idol?

I think Brandon got a bad break, but it's show business and sponsors want you coming back each week . . . drama and more drama!

LOL I missed this back on page three! YOU have hit the nail on the head. That kid is a one day wonder, one day he will be gone from riding. He comes off as a brat, a little bratty brat who has no clue what he is showing to the public. After seeing his MySpace page I have to think he was no way near the top three in winning, with this kind of attitude I am sure he would have awarded himself a degree in Dressage Professionalextrodinaire on his page. He is blatantly quiet about the competition on MySpace.

Dressage Art
Oct. 31, 2007, 03:00 AM
He is blatantly quiet about the competition on MySpace.
Not surprising: I use to work on movies and TV productions - I had to sign the non disclosure agreement with huge fines. I only was able to say what title I was working on, I was not able to say nothing, absolutely nothing about anything more. Couldn’t even show my work for 1-2 years to my friends.

Horsepower
Oct. 31, 2007, 06:53 PM
Does Fox Reality air on Cablevision in NJ at all? I can't find it.

StrawberryFrosted
Nov. 1, 2007, 12:29 AM
Ok, my cable sucks! Comcast does not offer it in my area! :mad:

I also tried to click on Jamil's link to myspace and it didn't work....
out of morbid curiosity, does anyone have a different link to his page?

Can you watch the show on the internet? If so, can someone post the link?

THANKS!:)

Hazelnut
Nov. 1, 2007, 07:53 AM
http://www.americanequestrianstar.tv/

You can watch the synopsis of epidode 1 and 2 at this link.

Fallbrook
Nov. 1, 2007, 08:28 AM
I also tried to click on Jamil's link to myspace and it didn't work....
out of morbid curiosity, does anyone have a different link to his page?

I think the account is gone - and not a moment too soon. His parents must have been so proud - :eek: I have a teenager with a regularly-monitored myspace account and sadly, I'm not surprised at what Jamil posted - it's all too common these days.

eggbutt
Nov. 1, 2007, 10:07 AM
I think the account is gone - and not a moment too soon. His parents must have been so proud - :eek: I have a teenager with a regularly-monitored myspace account and sadly, I'm not surprised at what Jamil posted - it's all too common these days.

Wow! Someone must have asked him to take down the account! I certainly can't blame them at all if that's what happened.

I really, really, really hope he's not in the final 3 group regardless of a ratings gimmick or whatever. Maybe he'll grow up someday.

Dressage Art
Nov. 1, 2007, 01:04 PM
I think the account is gone - and not a moment too soon.

Holy cow!!! I naively thought that hardly anybody reads our web musings... Soon we'll find out that Jamil won :lol:

PS: Nea, the account is still there, it's just set to private: This blog is set to private. This user must add you as a friend to see his/her blog.

eggbutt
Nov. 1, 2007, 02:47 PM
Holy cow!!! I naively thought that hardly anybody reads our web musings... Soon we'll find out that Jamil won :lol:

PS: Nea, the account is still there, it's just set to private: This blog is set to private. This user must add you as a friend to see his/her blog.

Karin visits COTH for sure...I've PM'd her to thank her for the show, so she probably most certainly has read this thread!:winkgrin:

ariat350
Nov. 1, 2007, 10:47 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw2NhcaTRhA link for whats to come in episode 3

Hazelnut
Nov. 2, 2007, 08:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw2NhcaTRhA link for whats to come in episode 3

thanks for the link, I don't have cable so at least I get to SEE these!

mshal
Nov. 2, 2007, 11:01 AM
Crap, I thought the Gangta Boy was GONE!!!

HotIITrot
Nov. 2, 2007, 12:16 PM
I had a strong feeling that Lindy was going to go b/c she was in the top 3 in the last elimination & RD wasn’t happy with her (or with very many for that matter) in this elimination. I felt like in episode 2 she was given another change & just didn’t do enough for RD to want to keep her. Fortunately she realizes and has learned from her mistake.

It’s interesting how for the previews of episode 4 they said the elimination was going to be a big surprise. At this point I still think Becca will win (Oh my, I feel so bad for her, her mom & family BTW, & hope everything works out (workded out) well with that :(). I was wondering what the surprise might be and I was thinking it could be either:

1. Becca’s out
2. Nobody gets eliminated (All four stay around for another week)

I like this show. Although the recap of the first couple of episodes was a bit long!

AC
Nov. 2, 2007, 12:42 PM
Whilst I do not wish to take the whole production for granted(thank you to the sponsors!)...

I really am dissapointed with the miniscule amount of actual riding being shown in comparison to all the yapping?

linquest
Nov. 2, 2007, 12:54 PM
Did anyone else contact Fox Reality Channel about putting the show online (ITunes, or equivalent)? Just curious if anyone got a response on whether or not they plan on doing so....

Fallbrook
Nov. 2, 2007, 01:09 PM
Did anyone else contact Fox Reality Channel about putting the show online (ITunes, or equivalent)? Just curious if anyone got a response on whether or not they plan on doing so....

I did -

This was the response:

Please check with your local cable or satellite provider to discover
whether or not Fox Reality Channel is available in your area.

Fox Reality Channel does not currently offer The Search for America's
Next Equestrian Star on iTunes.

You may want to check with retailers to discover whether or not this
series is available for purchase on DVD.

Thank you for visiting FoxReality.com!
-----------------------------------------------------
When the Road to the Maclay show was offered by Animal Planet on iTunes I bought all episodes for my daughter to watch on a road trip. Each episode was 1.99 and it took me 5 minutes to buy and download the shows to my PC and transfer to her iPod. That show is now available on DVD, but there isn't any way I would go to the trouble of ordering the DVD and waiting for it to arrive in the mail.

The beauty of iTunes distribution is that just about anyone with a computer can buy the show. I recommend an email blitz to Fox Reality

Cheryl

linquest
Nov. 2, 2007, 01:46 PM
I asked them to put the show on Itunes as well. Same reply--"Fox Reality Channel does not currently offer this series on iTunes, but thank you for your feedback."

So maybe they will offer it if enough people write!

Dressage Art
Nov. 2, 2007, 01:59 PM
Loved the show!!! The best episode so far! I feel so bad for Becka that her mom is in the emergency room... Jamil got "killed" by Robert for his teen outfits and "whateva" attitude (seemed that RD predicted public response about Jamil, b/c RD said similar things written about Jamil on this thread)! JJ was disappointing as a coach - interesting... Now... it wasn't really clear for me why Lindy got booted and why Phylisia stayed. They still look like sisters to me: same attitude and way of going. Would off loved to hear more why Lindy had to go - is it really b/c one circle or is there more? I feel so bad for Lindy, she and her family put so much money (10K?) in to this opportunity and they have 8 kids???? Oh, it must have been devastating for her...

For the next elimination, I bet they will be riding in the competition and the last place will have to go! It's about time to test them how they handle the show nerves ;)

Chiquita7
Nov. 2, 2007, 09:10 PM
I've been mulling this thread over in my mind all afternoon, and have come up with an interesting idea. Suppose Jamil's rude, uncouth, sloppy, don't-give-a-d..n attitude, is all part of an act? Maybe he has been told to act as "bad" as he can so the audience will all be expecting him and wanting him to get kicked off, and then we will see RD perform a "miracle" to produce his perfect protege! I'm guessing that JJ and Becca did not get selected because JJ is in Maryland and Becca I think has a business going in So. Pines, NC...I can't imagine Robert selecting Philisha, which leaves us with the one no one would consider at this point...unless JJ and Becca's business's are a cover so the ending won't be revealed. Originally this program was to be for Young Riders below the age of 21 or 22...then they opened it up to the older riders...which tells me that Robert originally was looking for a "young" student that was still malleable and moldable that he could make into exactly what he wanted...it would be hard to do that with 2 professionals like JJ and Becca...also think Philisha is in her mid-twenties, which would put her into the same category. Just mulling this possibility over...any ideas or thoughts??? I missed the first episode so maybe something was explained then that I missed and would totally blow my "theory".

Hopeful Hunter
Nov. 2, 2007, 11:33 PM
ooohhh - where in Maryland is JJ????

I really like her style, and even this aspiring hunter princess would love to train with her! And if she's in my area.....

yaya
Nov. 3, 2007, 12:18 AM
She's in Mount Airy, here:

www.goodnessridge.com (http://www.goodnessridge.com)

eqipoize
Nov. 3, 2007, 01:44 AM
I hate to say it, but I predicted Jamil as the winner from day 1 - I think RD wants a young man to train in his desired program (read that any way you like!)

I was PISSED when I realised that somehow my DVR didn't record episode 3- WHAT!?!?!? stupid equipment. I will probably be forced to buy the DVD just to keep. Anyone want to give a more detailed synopes for those of us who didn't get to see it? Thanks in advance

dalpal
Nov. 3, 2007, 07:55 AM
I wasn't impressed with this segment until the the "catch ride/coaching" test. That was fun to watch.

Basically the show begins with Robert's personal trainer beating on their doors at the crack of dawn (well, actually still dark), getting them out to run sprints, pushups, etc.

They meet Michelle Gibson, then have lessons with Ashley Holzer (who I was VERY impressed with).

They meet with Katherine and take down the dressage arena, clean it up, put it back together...did an "okay" job, didn't line it up well.

Jamil predicts that Becca will be voted off because she's "had a lot of things going on this week"...well, poor Becca's mom was in the hosptial and hadn't done well have an emergency gall bladder surgery.

On the trainer/coaching segment....I had to laugh, because poor Becca got Jamil's "ALL PUSH" horse and he didn't do a great job of warming her up. She commented that she needed to ride more push horses...I had to laugh, because, Becca, if you are reading this....I'm a hop skip and a jump up the road from you and I have an "All push" horse for you that you are welcomed to borrow anytime. :lol: Lindsey had JJ Tate's horse and she sent him into some major bucks..then had to circle in her test (which, I think was the final straw for her). Phelisha was on Lindsey's horse..and as Robert said...they both basically looked like two amateurs..one coaching and one riding. JJ had Becca's horse and did the best job riding, although Robert was NOT impressed with her coaching segment.."A real disappointment" Jamil had Phelisha's horse...once again....okay deal, nothing special. Jamil made Robert angry because he showed up in "gangster jeans and tennis shoes" I was hoping that would be the end of Jamil...alas, it wasn't.

It came down between Jamil and Lindsey...and each had to tell why they thought the other should go home. Once again, Jamil basically spouted something back that Robert had told him..."I have more feel than she does"

Lindsey went home.

I have to say, if you guys predict correctly and it's Jamil.....I certainly wouldn't be jumping in my vehicle to run down and take a lesson with him, that's for sure.

Next part is sorta spoilerish...doesn't give the winner away, just someone in the top three.
Stop here if you don't want to read.

I agree that the "shocking elimination round next week" doesn't sound good. On JJ Tate's website, it does state that she makes it to the top three. So Becca would be the one that would be "shocking"....

In my small amateur opinion....Becca is the best canidate and it'll be ashame if Gangster boy wins over her.

pwynnnorman
Nov. 3, 2007, 11:04 AM
Hi, all. I watched the show for the first time last night and haven't had a chance to read this whole thread. Can someone point me to where someone summarized the episode like dalpal just did?

I nearly turned off the TV after the first half of the show, but I was blown away by the second half. I believe it was as good as the medium of television (with time constraints and editing) could allow. I am so impressed by how articulate and honest RD is and how the content was not too dumbed down for a generic--er, I mean, "general"--audience.

The only part I was a little uncomfortable about was when Felicia (sp?) was teaching and the judges were kind of snickering. I thought that was pretty rude and childish. I hope it was edited in--or happened out of her sight or something.

Pommederue
Nov. 3, 2007, 12:08 PM
The only part I was a little uncomfortable about was when Felicia (sp?) was teaching and the judges were kind of snickering. I thought that was pretty rude and childish. I hope it was edited in--or happened out of her sight or something.

I have to agree with you there, however you didn't want it 'dumbed down' right? :lol: Welcome to the 'real' world here in dressage. I see 'professionals' --and I mean BNT acting like that all the time! I'm not saying all of them do, but alot of them do.

I am loving the show and I hope this is a lesson to people how difficult it is to be a good rider AND a good teacher. It does take practice however and some of those kids have more practice than others.

I don't think Jamil has much 'feel' like he says and his position on the horse is weak. I was also totally disappointed in JJ's lesson too. I hope she learned her lesson! Lindsey seemed like a really nice girl but not polished enough. Really it has to be Becka cuz it's slim pickins.

HotIITrot
Nov. 3, 2007, 12:21 PM
... For the next elimination, I bet they will be riding in the competition and the last place will have to go! It's about time to test them how they handle the show nerves ;) ...

That is a good thought; it would be interesting.

srg
Nov. 3, 2007, 01:25 PM
On JJ Tate's website, it does state that she makes it to the top three.

Where does it say this??

There are three websites that I'm aware of that could be considered "JJ Tate's website"

JJ's: www.jessicajotate.com

Her major client/sponsor: http://www.esdonavan.com/jjtatenew.html (owner of her stallion mounts, ES Donavan and Rosall)

Mine: www.goodnessridge.com

JJ has been appropriately tight-lipped about the show's outcome, so I will be surprised (or not) like everyone else! I LOVE the show and have let both Fox and Karen Offield know how much I appreciate Dressage on TV!

Dressage Art
Nov. 3, 2007, 03:57 PM
I just watched the show again and Lindsey did 2 circles = 2 errors = -6 points and the third error = elimination. Yeah, that'll get the boot, more than a gangster pants would.

Elegante E
Nov. 3, 2007, 04:13 PM
Some of the comments suprise me, as in "slim pickins". Seriously, if these kids were good enough to be on their own teaching and training why the heck would they need to be slave labor for RD???? Thought the point of this thing was to show the will and ability to learn with enough knowledge and skill to be of use. If these kids were great trainers and riders then they'd be on their own - yes, some of them are but they are just starting their careers.

Btw, what's up with the circles? Why is doing them wrong?

yaya
Nov. 3, 2007, 04:21 PM
Because doing a circle to "school" a naughty horse in the middle of a test is considered an "error of course" and is penalized. You get eliminated on the third error.

They were supposed to be riding a test as if they were at a show. It wasn't just a schooling ride

dalpal
Nov. 3, 2007, 06:09 PM
Where does it say this??

There are three websites that I'm aware of that could be considered "JJ Tate's website"

JJ's: www.jessicajotate.com

Her major client/sponsor: http://www.esdonavan.com/jjtatenew.html (owner of her stallion mounts, ES Donavan and Rosall)

Mine: www.goodnessridge.com

JJ has been appropriately tight-lipped about the show's outcome, so I will be surprised (or not) like everyone else! I LOVE the show and have let both Fox and Karen Offield know how much I appreciate Dressage on TV!

Yeah, bummer, I went back to this site...http://www.donavan-stallion.com/jjtatenew.html And it's no longer there.....so, I can't prove it..LOL! But did read it there a couple of weeks ago..that she was in the top three.

mcm7780
Nov. 3, 2007, 06:56 PM
I wish I was home when the show was on! Too bad I don't have any way to record it.

dressage72
Nov. 3, 2007, 07:48 PM
Yeah, bummer, I went back to this site...http://www.donavan-stallion.com/jjtatenew.html And it's no longer there.....so, I can't prove it..LOL! But did read it there a couple of weeks ago..that she was in the top three.

Dalpal you are not crazy because I read it there too! It wasn't JJ that posted it though ....it was Shari Glickman (spelling of name is probably wrong, but too lazy to go search!)

Classical DQ
Nov. 3, 2007, 08:46 PM
If you look at the bottom of JJ's page on the Donavan site you will see that it still says that she is in the top 3. Just keep scrolling down!

dalpal
Nov. 3, 2007, 08:47 PM
Thanks guys.....I was starting to think I had dreamed it. MUCH APPRECIATED!!!:yes:

srg
Nov. 3, 2007, 08:56 PM
Dalpal you are not crazy because I read it there too! It wasn't JJ that posted it though ....it was Shari Glickman (spelling of name is probably wrong, but too lazy to go search!)

Ummm, I am Shari Glickman (spelling correct :D) and it is not on my website www.goodnessridge.com and has never been. Feel free to search my 461 posts. I have only *known* JJ since January. I don't maintain either of the other websites so I cannot say for certain what is or isn't written there. :lol:

dalpal
Nov. 3, 2007, 10:00 PM
Here you go...straight from the website I posted.

If all of that was not enough, then JJ started the competition for the Next American Dressage Idol, a TV reality show produced by Robert Dover, 6 time Olympian ! JJ had been named one of 6 finalists at Dressage at Devon in 2005. They say it is a cross between American Idol and The Apprentice!

We will all know the final outcome some time after April 15!! We know she is one of the last 3 finalists competing for the title!

Carol Ames
Nov. 3, 2007, 10:32 PM
OK, I missed it again , even though I was sitting in front of the tv:mad:; What was Brendans' "train wreck?"
:confused:

EponaRoan
Nov. 3, 2007, 11:05 PM
Poor Brendan had a total brain fart when he was giving the clinic/demonstration and drew blank after blank when he tried to say things. He ended it by giving up and riding back to the barn.

SaraTx
Nov. 3, 2007, 11:11 PM
so what happened to JJ's and Jerk's horses? Did they get to ride them in the end?

FancyFree
Nov. 4, 2007, 12:54 PM
I really enjoyed the show. I've only seen the catch riding episode. My money is on JJ. She's a beautiful rider and has a professional attitude. Still RD seems fond of Jamil, despite him wanting to put Jamil in a "headlock". It will be interesting to see the outcome. What a great opportunity for a young rider.

HotIITrot
Nov. 4, 2007, 04:17 PM
so what happened to JJ's and Jerk's horses? Did they get to ride them in the end?

Jerk's :lol:

They are not being used.

... Still RD seems fond of Jamil, despite him wanting to put Jamil in a "headlock". ...

Yeah, despite wanting to "choke" him. :eek:

*spring*
Nov. 5, 2007, 01:39 AM
For those who don't have the channel/want to see more than a mere synopsis, here's a girl who's uploading the episodes to youtube! :D

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=stupidblond428a
(she has episode one split into five parts :) )

linquest
Nov. 5, 2007, 11:21 AM
For those who don't have the channel/want to see more than a mere synopsis, here's a girl who's uploading the episodes to youtube! :D

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=stupidblond428a
(she has episode one split into five parts :) )

Ha, too bad they'll probably be taken down for copyright issues before I have the time to watch them!

CAJumper
Nov. 5, 2007, 02:09 PM

Same here! I guess I wasn't *surprised*...but I was definitely disappointed. You would think that they could just behave appropriately since this was being recorded for television!

Anyway, I'm still a big fan of the show and sent an email to Fox Reality in support of it.

I was also kind of shocked by how out of shape some of the riders were during the "bootcamp challenge". I mean, even Jamil was doing "girly pushups"!! :lol:

Dressage Art
Nov. 5, 2007, 04:01 PM
Felicia was trying to be tough "I am not asking again" and such, but she was being tough in the wrong area (lengthening) again and again and again. She was burying herself.... out of all participants, really it was only Becca that did an appropriate rider warm up, and everybody else gave lessons rather than a show warm up. They also made similar comments for JJ when she kept asking rider to halt and post and for Jamil as well, when he kept walking the lazy horse and relaxing him, rather than motivating him for the show ring. They didn't say much for Lindsey and said positive things about Becca's warm up.

Lesson is when you train, but warm up is when you check the buttons from one movement to another movement and troubleshoot the problem areas. It's too late to train.

rabicon
Nov. 5, 2007, 08:37 PM
I looked for it on saturday morning. Is this when it comes on??

yaya
Nov. 5, 2007, 09:45 PM
It comes on Friday morning. 9am Eastern, 8am Central, etc etc.

PnkPanthr
Nov. 5, 2007, 09:50 PM
because of the lack of equestrian tv shows on tv anymore(esp since they took the showjumping off OLN..and the fact that my area does not have the Horse Channel)...does anyone know if fox reality is the same TV channel as FOX news and stuff? I feel so dumb asking this question..but i have Fox Family and 2 other FOXs..and i dont know if i have fox reality! :lol::lol:

EponaRoan
Nov. 5, 2007, 10:04 PM
.does anyone know if fox reality is the same TV channel as FOX news and stuff? I feel so dumb asking this question..but i have Fox Family and 2 other FOXs..and i dont know if i have fox reality! :lol::lol:

No, Fox Family and Fox News aren't the same channel as Fox Reality.

lizathenag
Nov. 6, 2007, 11:39 AM
Based on the 2 seconds of previews, I think they are going to have to put together a full bridle in a race or something.

like we used to do in the winter dismounted meetings in Pony Club.

I am glad he dropped the one he did (I still haven't figured out their names). She took no responsibitity for her bad ride.

If I were Jamil I would be wearing riding clothes (or at least appropriate footwear)
for the rest of the show (but I am 55 not 16!)

And I would have them in helmets when mounted. . .

rev80
Nov. 6, 2007, 09:57 PM
Just wanted to say that some of us are keeping up with the threads about the show on the boards--thanks to all who have been so supportive! It's wonderful to know you guys are cheering us on--even when we goof!

mnolen9698
Nov. 7, 2007, 05:10 PM
I am very into this show and am a hunter/jumper person. I like it more than the "Road to the Maclay" reality show from last year because it gives me some things to think about as a rider (like riding from one half-halt to the next). Plus, I'm more interested in the process and the tests than the outcome. (I like Golf's "Big Break" for the same reason.)

I find the purpose of the show very interesting. It seems to me that RD needs someone he can trust with his (and his clients') barn, horses, lessons, etc. both at home and at the show. The "your performance would have cost me the client" remark to Brenden was very grown up. But the "looking for the next star" makes me look at these riders/trainers as who has the most potential and how close/far are they from realizing it?

Based on that, my bet is on Becca. She is my 1A choice. But I would hire, train with, hang out with JJ in a heartbeat. She would be my 1B choice. I don't feel we know/see Philesha; does she shine when riding? Like a star? Jamil is and acts like a kid. I won't hold that against him b/c I know other 16 year old boys. But I wouldn't trust a $$$ horse or sponsorship with him - or any 16 year old - either. Not at this point...

Can't wait for Friday's episode!

Milocalwinnings
Nov. 7, 2007, 09:42 PM
I've been watching the show as well and think it's pretty good... I'm just glad they have a horsey show on TV!

I too like Becca the best... JJ coming in as my second choice. Both of them seem to be the most well rounded out of the ones who are left... I can't say that I'm overly impressed with Jamil or Philesha... I think Philesha (am I even spelling her name right?) could have more potential than what we see, but I also think that she is too quiet and unsure of her self (trust me, I am the same why... which is why I will never be someone who can teach lessons!)... I don't think we really see enough of her to base a good opinion off of though. Jamil is by far the worst, IMO... He just seems to not care... it seems like it's a game for him, and he's just trying to see how long he can get by without putting much effort into anything. I really hope he goes next- every week he seems go get worse. I do agree with the poster who said he's like the "Sanjaya of "Americas Next Equ. Star". He had potential.... but didn't care, push or show the desire to make it very far. I just hope that he doesn't hang around as long as Sanjaya did...

I'm curious to see how it all plays out- should be interesting!

dalpal
Nov. 8, 2007, 06:15 PM
I just saw a DreamHorse ad from Thousand Oaks, CA for a 125,000.00 horse. I think Lindsey is the rider in the picture. She is a lovely, elegant rider. I think she'll do well for herself in the dressage world.

Dressage Art
Nov. 8, 2007, 08:08 PM
Oh, I can hardly wait for tomorrow's show!!! Who do you think will go out to "happy trails"?

Hazelnut
Nov. 8, 2007, 08:14 PM
I only got to see the first episode on YOU TUBE...So if anyone else has time to post more episodes....

Otherwise, can't wait to hear what you all think about episode 4!!

Reynard Ridge
Nov. 8, 2007, 11:46 PM
Otherwise, can't wait to hear what you all think about episode 4!!

Ditto. Living vicariously. Please post volumes! I am also in the club who wishes for some kind of on-line pay per view. :yes:

Dressage Art
Nov. 9, 2007, 12:59 AM
Well, I updated my 150 Dish channels to 250 Dish channels for a time being of the Equestrian Star. That coasted me a whooping $20! Hint, hint ;) You always can cansel the package latter...

eggbutt
Nov. 9, 2007, 12:34 PM
I can't wait to get home to watch the show! What happened this week?

talloaks
Nov. 9, 2007, 12:49 PM
You WILL be in for a big surprise!!:winkgrin:

Terrie
Nov. 9, 2007, 01:32 PM
Someone has to spill the beans for those of us who are unable to watch it!

HotIITrot
Nov. 9, 2007, 01:34 PM
... It’s interesting how for the previews of episode 4 they said the elimination was going to be a big surprise. At this point I still think Becca will win (Oh my, I feel so bad for her, her mom & family BTW, & hope everything works out (workded out) well with that :(). I was wondering what the surprise might be and I was thinking it could be either:

1. Becca’s out
2. Nobody gets eliminated (All four stay around for another week)

I so called that ;). Glad to see Becca's still in the game.

Dressage Art has the idea about the competition, but I wonder if the winner of the competition will be the winner for the show. I was thinking about Jamil and the fact that he is riding a recently retired dressage school master (who the judges might even know ;)). Watch them put in a really great performance and end up with a better score than the rest, and then win the show. Why do I have this feeling? I could be totally off, but could you imagine?

Ponymom4
Nov. 9, 2007, 01:37 PM
So Becca's still in and no one got eliminated? Someone have pity on the person who has to be at work and doesn't have Tivo.

Terrie
Nov. 9, 2007, 01:55 PM
Darn - that wasn't as exciting as I was hoping for. Haha.

I really wish I could watch it. I watched the clips on the website and think I would definitely enjoy it.

Fallbrook
Nov. 9, 2007, 02:46 PM
I'm going to send another email to Fox Reality about making the show available on iTunes. I can't believe they don't want my $1.99 per episode. The youtube videos by stupidblonde had 501 views as of today...

Coreene
Nov. 9, 2007, 03:46 PM
botox.com

FancyFree
Nov. 9, 2007, 03:58 PM
botox.com

You aren't kidding! His forehead is frozen. I hope to have mine like that for Christmas. :D LOL! I also think he wears mascara or has his eyelashes dyed. But what I wouldn't give to have him as a trainer. I think he's very motivating with high energy.

J.J. is my favorite. She has the potential to be a great trainer and already is a lovely rider.

I hope this show is going to be like I Love New York or that Brett Michael's reality show. They both are doing more seasons despite picking winners. Maybe RD can do this again. Or have another BNT do it. I would so enjoy that.

Dressage Art
Nov. 9, 2007, 04:08 PM
Someone has to spill the beans for those of us who are unable to watch it!

Well, RD told to Jamil: "Jamil, f&*#k you!" :lol: but Jamil did great anyway and this time he didn't do any of his childish mistakes.

Robert was amazing to mount a horse just from a ground - he kind off swung himself up to a saddle only on his arms and ended up on top. He was like a gymnast! What a fitness level he has! I absolutely love how Robert incorporates different Olympic riders in his show. What a great mingle skills he has and support/respect for and of fellow trainers and Olympians. I enjoy watching them all. Lisa Wilcox was a teacher today.

Again the nuances of the show dressage came to play when Phylicia warmed up the rider "Dottie" out of the sequence of the test movements - thus setting up the rider for the big mistake. Becca got full of herself and told a Bronze Olympian rider that her pirouette was the size of the football field. So they both were on the bottom.
"Dottie" turned out to be Dorthy Morkis :winkgrin:Americas' highest placedOlympic dressage rider:lol:

But nobody got a boot. All 4 will go to the final. And the final will be the show competition judged by International judges.

Now, do tell me that there are more than one episode remains? I want to watch this every week! Great show Robert, now get back to work! Chop-chop! :D

PS: for those who have Dish Network the channel is REAL 190.

snoopy
Nov. 9, 2007, 05:54 PM
botox.com

Well a bit off course.....

Talked to "Mr. Dressage" at Raleigh this year.....and believe it or not...the "work" looks better on screen than in person. :confused:;)

Pre or post he still is really amazing to see in action. He can be a very pleasant instructor...infact when you see him coaching at shows he is actually very quiet and tactful. I think he "puffed it up" somewhat for telly.

specialops
Nov. 9, 2007, 06:39 PM
I don't think he is "puffing" anything up on the show. I saw him coach Katherine Bateson at Devon 2 years ago and I can assure you, what you see on TV is what he can give out. I was quite surprised at what I witnessed in the big warmup there so now that I see it on TV, it is clear that is his style...nothing made up.

As for mounting from the ground....yes, it is impressive, but it could not be very healthy to have that much pressure on the horses back from a man of his size. Even if it is a very fluid movement.

snoopy
Nov. 9, 2007, 07:03 PM
I don't think he is "puffing" anything up on the show. I saw him coach Katherine Bateson at Devon 2 years ago and I can assure you, what you see on TV is what he can give out. I was quite surprised at what I witnessed in the big warmup there so now that I see it on TV, it is clear that is his style...nothing made up..

Not saying it is made up...only that if you have ONLY seen him teach via the show...you could get the impression that he is like that all the time....and he is not. He can be and is often a very gentle instructor as well.

Milocalwinnings
Nov. 9, 2007, 07:28 PM
Well.... it was an interesting episode. I thought Jamil was one of the better "teachers" today than the rest... but didn't really pay much attention to his riding. I do have to say that I liked him more in this episode than I did in the previous ones, though we'll see if he continues on that path or not.
Again, I wasn't impressed with Philesha.... but then again, I really wasn't impressed with any of the girls this week. I do agree that the "one two three and...." counting would get very annoying- I think it was a smart move on Jamil's part not to do that.

dalpal
Nov. 9, 2007, 11:23 PM
I will say that I was very impressed that Phelisha refused to say anything negative about Becca.....that took alot of guts and said alot about her character. :yes:

Milocalwinnings
Nov. 9, 2007, 11:27 PM
I will say that I was very impressed that Phelisha refused to say anything negative about Becca.....that took alot of guts and said alot about her character. :yes:

I agree.... I would hate to be in that position.... I would feel horrible trying to give a reason why I deserved to stay over someone else!

I think Phelisha is a really sweet, kind girl who has the talent, I just don't think she knows how to experess that talent yet. She is so quiet and seems so afraid to get something wrong.... I think if she just learned how to experess herself more, getting more info out and showing people what she can do, she would be pretty good.

egontoast
Nov. 9, 2007, 11:34 PM
Do people not realize how these shows are made? Tons of material shot, decision made and then retrospective editing done with a view to building drama and suspense. The 'winner' will not be made obvious from the start. That would be boring. Editing can make the best person look bad and vice versa. It's all for the drama, baby.:cool:

Carol Ames
Nov. 9, 2007, 11:49 PM
My home health aide watched it this morning , not by choice :no:but, because I had the remote! :lol: She enjoyed it :yes:and said she " had no idea how much there was to riding :no:; that 's right you get on, and the horse just "goes " isn't that the way it works?:winkgrin:; just imagine if itwere eventing or show jumping; or even beginner lessons for adults :eek::yes:

FuzzyLogic
Nov. 10, 2007, 12:18 AM
Robert was amazing to mount a horse just from a ground - he kind off swung himself up to a saddle only on his arms and ended up on top. He was like a gymnast! What a fitness level he has! I absolutely love how Robert incorporates different Olympic riders in his show. What a great mingle skills he has and support/respect for and of fellow trainers and Olympians. I enjoy watching them all. Lisa Wilcox was a teacher today.

Couldn't agree more. He totally reminded me of a gymnast vaulting onto a (very high) pommel horse. Never seen him do that before, very impressive...notice how gentle he planted his seat on the horse too! Also love how he got all his friends to participate in the show, and they really are all friends. I believe next week we get Anne Gribbons, another good frined of RD.

BTW, those of you looking to see the episodes, links to view full episodes online can be found on catchride, post on a forum only registered members can view, but if you snoop around you can find the link to that in a public forum.

CFKAH
Nov. 10, 2007, 12:58 AM
Just wanted to say that some of us are keeping up with the threads about the show on the boards--thanks to all who have been so supportive! It's wonderful to know you guys are cheering us on--even when we goof!
Thanks for making an appearance Becca(?)! I have been following the show (thanks to my DVR) and my only wish is that they showed more footage of your riding and training. It's been great to see talented riders receive instruction and work through issues. Best of luck to you!

slc2
Nov. 10, 2007, 07:24 AM
I would also urge people to consider this show in context. This is entertainment, made out of something that is intrinsically NOT entertaining. Developing as a dressage rider is NOT quick, it's not dramatic, it's not a one-incident-makes-it kind of thing. It could be considered to be the most UN-entertaining thing in the world - that's why so few people ever get above training level, because it ISN'T glamorous or entertaining. It is a very long slow process with many little ups and downs, major disappointments being common along the way, and a lot of stages and nuances that even riders who have ridden for 20-30 yrs wouldn't understand if they haven't worked at that level. A show that shows a year or so of incidents can't possibly hope to even begin to show the process.

ALL these young people are incredibly talented and have great futures. Just because they get eliminated for the cause of entertainment means nothing. These are super young people who deserve our support in the riding community. Learning to be a top level competitor, learning to teach, learning to present onesels as a 'team player' to the governing organizations, learning to have poise in the face of disappointment, learning what NOT to say publicly, this is not something a tv show can portray. And even with all of that, there is an infinitesimal difference between the one who rides well enough to finish in the middle of an international pack and the one who finishes on top. Learning that technique, being quick enough mentally to react in pressuer situations, it takes alot of time.

Showing a logo? Hell, Offield is paying for this, she may as well. She's providing the facility, no one else was willing to do that over the last 30 yrs.

On the other hand, I can't say I'm happy that dressage is being turned into an entertainment spectacle. I see it as a part of 2 minute grand prix tests and gossipy, juvenile media trying to fire the gossip machine on the internet, in the worst tradition of Yellow Journalism, and yes, I've seen enough of the show as of the point where they kick one rider out. I think that's absurd. Absolutely absurd. I'm embarrassed for Dover as well as Offield that they would get involved with such a silly thing.

Were people knowingly selected from the start to play such roles, or did they pick people they knew weren't going to make some artificial cut, but didn't tell the kids? Either way i feel it's trashy. Can you imagine 10 yrs from now, and one of these kids can't get a JOB because someone takes this show so seriously?

I feel everyone should be given the same training. Otherwise it's not 'educational' at all, but merely a spectacle, and a highly scripted one at that where individuals are selected and eliminated to entertain people who like to gossip about tv shows, not to represent what these kids really are or what their potential is. And dressage is supposed to be an art, not some idiotic spectacle one gossips about. I would have much preferred to see the rider being coached and develop his skills and improving over time.

findeight
Nov. 10, 2007, 10:10 AM
Actually know a few reality show alums(albeit slightly)...my area is famous for Presidents, astronauts and reality show contestants;).

Anyway, in the first place, it's hard to find people who can drop everything and participate in these things. Yeah, there is money for even the earliest elimination victims-but you don't get the checks, can't talk about it until after the finale. Some shows used to put those booted out in virtual isolation until after the grand finale, these days it's more iron clad non disclosure agreements. And they do keep them corraled for a bit so it's not obvious who is back home the day after the season premiere. This one's a bit different since it did not air anywhere near production time.

Then they get to sit back and watch what the producers created out of all that tape shot-the story line created just for them. Never heard any say anything other then "that is NOT what happened".

Not knocking those who made the cut for this one...but how many couldn't afford to drop everything for the whatever number of weeks this covered? Or didn't care to participate in reality TV?
Matter of selecting those who exhibit enough personality to interest the non riding viewers. That does mean creating some conflict, at least in the viewers minds, out of all the tape shot.

I think this show is decent. They did try to make it personal and develop personality in the contestents-may not actually be what they are like, more selective editing. Surely there is nobody who thinks these are documentaries?

Better get used to them, the writer's strike is going to mean no scripted shows....maybe they will even rerun this one.
And they really should...

yaya
Nov. 10, 2007, 10:21 AM
Anyway, in the first place, it's hard to find people who can drop everything and participate in these things.

Plus this show had the added complication of a delayed start. It was supposed to have been filmed in the fall of 2005, but due to Hurricane Wilma it got delayed to spring of 2006.

How many people could have re-arranged their schedule again like that?

dalpal
Nov. 10, 2007, 10:26 AM
So SLC, are you in the camp with Horsetrailrider...that this is a government consipriacy and Robert Dover is a spy? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol:

I mean, really, why would anyone take this show so seriously....personally, I think it's fun to watch and really alot of fun watching some of these people teach;)..aka Dover, Wilcox, etc.

Is this show going to appeal to the masses...no. My husband thinks it's like watching wallpaper dry and he knows a bit about horses/riding. Do I enjoy watching it..yes.

I don't understand how this show would hurt anyone's career....they aren't riding topless, getting drunk at bars, :lol:

All I see is a group of very talented young riders who are looking for a big opportunity....good for them.

I don't understand why people want to nit pick this to death....good gracious, can we just enjoy the show and take it for what it's worth? Must we nitpick it to death?

I know for a fact that Brendan (the first one to go) is doing quite well a few miles down the road from me. A good friend of mine boards with him and Jim, she says Brendan can "ride the hair off of anything" and says he is a young Jim. So I don't think anyone thinks less of Brendan because of this show and a simple mistake that sent him home. From what I understand, he met Jim through Becca...so the show actually helped him find a great working student position.

For all who are involved in the show and are reading this...I've throughly enjoyed watching it...thank you.

FancyFree
Nov. 10, 2007, 10:47 AM
I agree Dalpal. I'm just happy to see any horse related shows on the air.

Marydell
Nov. 10, 2007, 11:46 AM
I fianally had the oppertunity to catch an episode yesterday!! Thanks to everyone keeping us updated in the meanwhile.
I have been missing them due to all the Regioanls and clinics that we have been participating in. Brendan has been with us for all of these episodes as well, so is not getting to see them first hand.

I know two of the contestants personally and professionally, Becca and Brendan. Both have worked/work for Jim Koford who trains and rides my stallion, Don Principe. I have met JJ several times and consider her very talented. In fact, she is one of the guest riders this weekend at Paxton Farm 110 day Stallion Performance Test final three days. I also hope to get her to come with one of the stallions she rides/trains to the Sporthorse Stallion Exhibition on January 5, 2008 in Raleigh. I know that some "creative" editing has been done, knowing these three top quality individuals.

Becca is actually very sweet, a talented instructor and rider who worked for Jim Koford for quite some time before this show. Regardless of how the show ends, she has a good amount of clients that would follow her anywhere.

Brendon is extremely talented with young horses and those that are ADD. He does remind me of a young Jim Koford, elegant, tactful and great seat. He is currently working as Jim's assistant trainer, not working student. I have confidence in his abilities to the point that he is getting the very first Don Principe offspring old enough to be ridden. As most breeders know, the first ones under saddle of a freshman stallion will create a reputation for him(the stallion) that will be hard to alter in the mare owner and rider's minds. Brendan will ride Dante's Dream MF as a representative for Don Principe in the stallion show that will be held on January 5, 2008 in Raleigh.

No matter who ends up having won this show, remember, it has been almost two years since the end result. These young people had to go on with their lives and make a living for themselves in the time being.
A couple of contestants have gone back to school. A couple have their own training clientele. This does not indicate who won or lost.

Great job to all involved with this program!

Maryanna Haymon
www.marydellfarm.com

Dressage Art
Nov. 10, 2007, 02:03 PM
He totally reminded me of a gymnast vaulting onto a (very high) pommel horse. Never seen him do that before, very impressive...notice how gentle he planted his seat on the horse too!
I did vaulting for 2 years, so I rewound this clip several times. Now I'm thinking if it was played "backwards" and RD was really dismounting from the horse, but they made it look like he is mounting the horse?

Any active vaulting riders, can you tell?

slc2
Nov. 10, 2007, 04:12 PM
this is the only place i know of where not liking a reality show is a fault, LOL!

no, i don't think robert is a spy. i think Robert is cool. and the only time i'd be in the same room with trailrider1 would be if i was providing her with court ordered counseling.

dalpal
Nov. 10, 2007, 06:00 PM
this is the only place i know of where not liking a reality show is a fault, LOL!

no, i don't think robert is a spy. i think Robert is cool. and the only time i'd be in the same room with trailrider1 would be if i was providing her with court ordered counseling.

LOL!!! Good one SLC, and I'd have to agree with you on the court ordered counseling for some :lol::lol:;)

snoopy
Nov. 10, 2007, 06:12 PM
LOL!!! Good one SLC, and I'd have to agree with you on the court ordered counseling for some :lol::lol:;)

I have to agree... that little remark provided me with my daily dose of laughter...so thanks SLC!:lol:

Sarah616
Nov. 11, 2007, 11:30 AM
I did vaulting for 2 years, so I rewound this clip several times. Now I'm thinking if it was played "backwards" and RD was really dismounting from the horse, but they made it look like he is mounting the horse?

Any active vaulting riders, can you tell?

I went back and watched it, and definitely agree that it looks like he was dismounting! tricky editing!

mazymind
Nov. 11, 2007, 01:03 PM
I had Lindly Bowerback here to ride my horses 2 years ago in the hopes that she would pick one to go to FLA on with the original deal- that was not a TV show.

She is a fantastic rider, and an amazingly mature individual of impeccible charactor. I would put any of my horses in her barn in a NY minute. She impressed the heck out of me and my husband too.

I was stunned when she got booted off the show- which I can't even watch for gawd's sake-but I can only echo Marydell that it makes absolutely no difference in how talented or deserving that individual is.

I've really enjoyed the small clips I can find of it online- and I would be more than happy to download it or buy it on DVD- it would be fun to actually see it!

eggbutt
Nov. 12, 2007, 10:24 AM
Does anyone know if this series will be continued with another discipline if dressage is successful? I wonder what FoxReality's viewing stats have shown for the show.

Karin deserves a huge round of thanks for producing this for the equestrian community. :yes::yes:

yaya
Nov. 12, 2007, 11:37 AM
Does anyone know if this series will be continued with another discipline if dressage is successful?

I think that is RDs intention, but I guess we'll have to see how this show does before doing more like it becomes a reality.

If you'll pardon the pun. ;)

Touchstone Farm
Nov. 12, 2007, 11:12 PM
A group of us have gotten together to watch all the episodes at once and are meeting for the finale. The concensus was we wouldn't want Jamil to even lead our horse. We find it amusing that in the first episode when Robert asked him if he could "feel" the lameness in his horse, he said not really. (How do you miss a horse tripping numerous times??!!) And yet, Robert talks later about how much "feel" Jamil has. Kind of comical.

And...speaking of Jamil, how everyone bent over backwards to find him a horse, but JJ had what? An hour? She handled herself beautifully under that pressure.

And speaking of holding up under pressure...Becca wins in that regard, with her mom so ill.

We're thinking it will come down to Becca (#1) and #2 JJ.

But it's entertaining!

Dressage Art
Nov. 13, 2007, 05:08 AM
And speaking of holding up under pressure...Becca wins in that regard, with her mom so ill.
Is it a sign of holding great under pressure or a sign that she can walk on heads of others to reach her goal? She stabbed Felicia in the back quite readily - right after Felicia took a very high road and didn't say anything negative about Beka. Yet, Beka readily dug her knife in with a professional smile, never the less!
Beka was my favorite until that episode. Now I also find her keep saying that she will fail and she didn’t do well and yet she expect herself to win every time. Sounds almost like people who cry right before the test and say that they will flunk it and yet get an A every time.

naters
Nov. 13, 2007, 05:40 AM
Can someone post the link to the full length episodes???

I have some time tomorrow, and would love to see one!

Jamil89
Nov. 13, 2007, 06:33 AM
I've kept my mouth shut for long enough. Now I just have to go ahead and say it; Dressage Art, you're insane.

:]

Weatherford
Nov. 13, 2007, 07:26 AM
If you read the bios of the competitors on the show's website, you will figure out who won! Duh, on the part of the producers...

dalpal
Nov. 13, 2007, 07:29 AM
Is it a sign of holding great under pressure or a sign that she can walk on heads of others to reach her goal? She stabbed Felicia in the back quite readily - right after Felicia took a very high road and didn't say anything negative about Beka. Yet, Beka readily dug her knife in with a professional smile, never the less!
Beka was my favorite until that episode. Now I also find her keep saying that she will fail and she didn’t do well and yet she expect herself to win every time. Sounds almost like people who cry right before the test and say that they will flunk it and yet get an A every time.

Oh good gracious....so she's competitive, that's what it will take in that job.

I was also very impressed with Phelisha...BUT, I also am not going to hold it against Becca because she answered his question....she wanted to stay and therefore, she did what she felt she needed to do.

yaya
Nov. 13, 2007, 09:49 AM
Yes, to me Becca did what was asked, Philesha did not.

When/if they become professional trainers, and a client asks for a professional critique of her horse, or maybe one they are looking at, would you rather have your trainer say "oh, the horse is so pretty, what a sweetie, no problems here", or would you rather have your trainer say, "sorry, that horse will never make it past second level, it doesn't have the temperament, it's training has holes, and it will never win you any ribbons".

Personally, I'd choose the second.

RD asked for an honest critique, and Philesha couldn't give one. Becca did.

snoopy
Nov. 13, 2007, 09:58 AM
One was honest in her assesment...one was not. Robert ASKED for their opinion...I admire one for her stance...the other I admire for her courage. It was a difficult moment and clearly one felt more at ease in that situation then the other.

Coreene
Nov. 13, 2007, 03:02 PM
I've kept my mouth shut for long enough. Now I just have to go ahead and say it; Dressage Art, you're insane.

:]Jamil, next time you're in The OC, shoot me a PT. I'd be happy to have you ride Oliver any time. :yes:

Melissa.Van Doren
Nov. 13, 2007, 03:54 PM
If you read the bios of the competitors on the show's website, you will figure out who won! Duh, on the part of the producers...

I thought that, too... then thought perhaps it was like Survivor, where people go back to their lives until the Finale airs and the winner is notified. I can't believe the winner's name hasn't leaked out, so assume the participants really don't know yet.

Sonesta
Nov. 13, 2007, 04:53 PM
Just got back from the 100 day stallion testing and really enjoyed watching JJ ride all the young stallions in the guest rider dressage ridabilty portion of the testing. What a lovely, feeling rider she is. And this were very young, green stallions that could really be a handful. I was impressed. And while I didn't get a chance to speak with her (I was the videographer and so was totally busy) she seems like a very pleasant person.

Touchstone Farm
Nov. 13, 2007, 10:22 PM
While Philesha seems like a nice person and a good rider, Becca's assessment that she "shrinks back" was honest...and certainly NOT derogatory. Philesha does shrink back! From the first day, she had to be encouraged to speak up. But that may come with time and more confidence. I'd certainly not have a problem with adjusting the stirrups on the saddle for Philesha.

I thought Becca's answer was spot on, a fair assessment, and again, certainly not nasty or mean at all. I doubt that Becca's answer would keep Philesha from winning, if Philesha was the best.

Dressage Art
Nov. 14, 2007, 02:03 AM

:]

That's what 4 years at ASU got me. Go Sun Devils! and say "Hi" to Main Street for me...

shiloh
Nov. 14, 2007, 02:52 AM
Okay, so will someone please tell me who get axed in Episode 3? I had a power outage and thus it did not tape and episode 3 synopsis is not accessible on website.

I'm enjoying this show very much for what it is and I like JJ but it's just reinforcing my belief that I would never want to ride with Dover. Sorry, but I just can't like him...mho.

eggbutt
Nov. 14, 2007, 08:42 AM
OK, so it's been Brendon, Lindy and then no one, right? I believe that's correct isn't it fellow watchers?

Milocalwinnings
Nov. 14, 2007, 09:00 AM
OK, so it's been Brendon, Lindy and then no one, right? I believe that's correct isn't it fellow watchers?

Correct. Nobody was eliminated in the thrird episode.

Terrie
Nov. 14, 2007, 10:03 AM
I've seen JJ ride quite a few times and have had the chance to talk with her (one of the horse fairs and at a RPSI inspection). She is an extremely talented rider and very down-to-earth. I wish I could have worked with her before she left WI.

I think this show is a great way to open the public's eye to the sport. Yes, there is a lot of editing going on, but it is a form of media so that is a given.

Good luck to the competitors. I can't wait to see the results on Friday. And a huge KUDOS to those that created the series and got FOX on board.

eggbutt
Nov. 16, 2007, 10:30 AM
Who won? I can't wait till I get home tonight to find out!!

LexInVA
Nov. 16, 2007, 10:40 AM
Here it comes...........

LexInVA
Nov. 16, 2007, 10:49 AM
Robert just said "Becca, I'd love to have her in my barn. I'd mount her just right.." That was definitely the best thing I've heard all day. :lol:

LexInVA
Nov. 16, 2007, 10:53 AM
Okay...here it is...it's....damn it, Robert has launched into another monologue. He's like a kid with Tourettes only he rambles instead of swearing....

LexInVA
Nov. 16, 2007, 10:53 AM
Philesha is the winner!

sabriel
Nov. 16, 2007, 10:57 AM
yay for Philesha! I am sad for JJ, but a little selfish too because she isn't too far away from me now and I am just so happy that she isn't leaving to Florida because maybe I can finally take lessons from her (since she was so far away in Wisconsin!). Was that sentence long enough? :)

Congrats to everyone on the show!

LexInVA
Nov. 16, 2007, 11:00 AM
yay for Philesha! I am sad for JJ, but a little selfish too because she isn't too far away from me now and I am just so happy that she isn't leaving to Florida because maybe I can finally take lessons from her (since she was so far away in Wisconsin!). Was that sentence long enough? :)

Congrats to everyone on the show!

I certainly can't argue with that. I think she has future Olympic star tattooed somewhere on her body.

Ride On
Nov. 16, 2007, 11:01 AM
I thought this show was absolutely wonderful. I am teary and so happy for Philesha she is so elegant and will have the opportunity to grow more than she could ever imagine. I totally enjoyed this show and thank RD and Karen Oldfield for having the vision of creating this.

Lamma70
Nov. 16, 2007, 11:07 AM
I thought it was very well done, and am happy for Philesha. She seemed to really appreciate it all, and was very professional in the show. Although, I have to say it surprised me...as the Producers didn't have her talking or present as much in the show compared to the others....I guess that was the strategy. But, it made it out to seem like she was on the cusp of leaving. I wished they would have showed more of her...but I guess we will be seeing more of her in the future. Congratulations Philesha!

cleartheoxer
Nov. 16, 2007, 11:09 AM
We saw the show once last week and thought that Philesha would come in last! It didn't seem like he even liked her! We missed the show all of the other weeks including today. Who would think to watch a show like that at 9AM on a Friday morning?!

Sister Margarita
Nov. 16, 2007, 11:14 AM
:D
Philesha is the winner!

Rats. Work = missing it.

I am so happy for Philesha. Nice guys don't always finish last! I am so happy that her professional demeanor and taking the "high road" on several occasions as well as her obvious talent combined for her win. So often I see aggressive and critical people running over the top of others, and this is a refreshing change.

I loved it (what I was able to watch), and am so grateful to Robert and Karen as well as the other instructors for giving us this education AND entertainment. Great for our sport!

eggbutt
Nov. 16, 2007, 11:17 AM
Goodness! I think I'm surprised that Becca didn't win. Philesha was SO quiet and reserved, but I agree that may have come across as deliberate editing.

Congratulations to all of them!

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 16, 2007, 11:18 AM
Robert just said "Becca, I'd love to have her in my barn. I'd mount her just right.." That was definitely the best thing I've heard all day. :lol:

:lol:

(I must admit I was thinking the *exact* same thing...of course in this particular case, well...ahem--that would never happen ;))

And I agree with eggbutt; I was really pulling for Becca, and thought that Philesha didn't have the "strong personality" and self-confidence that Robert seemed to want to see!

(My hubby had a theory: Robert prefers someone working for/with him who won't have his/her own strong opinions and their own "way of doing things"--he would prefer to be able to mold someone...Food for thought!)

see u at x
Nov. 16, 2007, 11:18 AM
JJ was definitely my top choice/pick to win (because she's local, seems really nice, and is a hell of a rider), but I honestly think that even without winning this competition, she is Olympic bound regardless. Philesha is definitely deserving - she appears to have the passion for the sport and the compassion and love for the horses. What struck me about her was that she's very calm and quiet and maybe hasn't had some of the opportunities that a few of the other riders have had. She's a little bit older and more mature than a couple of them as well.

Good job, Philesha, and best of luck to you. :)

DQonaDraft
Nov. 16, 2007, 11:23 AM
Congrats to Philesha, but i was really rooting for JJ as she is my trainer!

There is no doubt that JJ is a super star and will continue to work toward her goal of representing the US in the Olympic games.

GO TEAM TATE!!!!

cleartheoxer
Nov. 16, 2007, 11:32 AM
We only watched it once, which was last week and I haven't read through all 11 pages of posts on this thread but...can someone tell me about the horses on the show? They were absolutely beautiful. Where did these people get the money for them as I'm sure they were hugely expensive.

WB Mom
Nov. 16, 2007, 11:37 AM
Even though I only watched the last show, they were obviously all very talented. I am sure it was a very difficult choice to make.
That said, the minute Robert said one of his decision criteria was 'who would be best for the sport', I knew who had won.
They all have a great future ahead of them regardless of the winner. Kudos!

Terrie
Nov. 16, 2007, 11:41 AM
Congrats to all of the competitors. It will be interesting to follow her progression with Dover.

I thought they each brought their own horses initially. I thought JJ brought Cambay with her and then when he got hurt she used a client's horse from FL.

Libish
Nov. 16, 2007, 12:18 PM
I'm all in tears. I just moved away from Wichita, and I've seen Philesia tons of times since she came back from this and boy can she keep a secret!!!! I assumed she didn't win, and when she did, I burst into tears! She truely is a class act and so deserving. I wish I was in KS today to give her a big hug and help her celebrate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FancyFree
Nov. 16, 2007, 12:43 PM
Congrats to Phelisha! Either she or JJ deserved it. My money was more on JJ because she seems more polished and confident. But Phelisha is a lovely rider as well.

It was a great show. I hope they do another one.

findeight
Nov. 16, 2007, 12:57 PM
Picked her a few weeks ago, classic "under the radar" editing by the producers. Like most reality shows.

When they gushed about how she rode her final test better then the horse's original rider, I knew for sure.

Good choice. Strikes me she is more...er...unformed...if that's a word? Ready to be molded. Figured who ever did win would be a little younger and not already running their own business.

Nice effort. I DVRd all of them so my cable company knows I watched...or thinks I did anyway. Just between us, I did find it a little dull and the first few episodes were sort of all over the place-and a little boring. Did not watch them all. Yet anyway.

Carol Ames
Nov. 16, 2007, 01:15 PM
I was up at 5:30 :yes:but had to take a pain pill,:sadsmile: and by the time I could even sit up :eek:it was 10:330 My vcr works to play but not to record :mad:or be set/programmed and I'd missed it; what happened?:confused:

Dressage Art
Nov. 16, 2007, 01:30 PM
Loved the show! Riding their own and each others horses during the show - was a great treat for us to watch!

Becca, my strong favorite who unfortunately kept doing mistakes in every episode, looked like she kept concentrating on herself and kept complaining to others, until was told to relax. Her stock tie looked like a blanket wrapped around her neck. It seems that she understood the qualities that she is missing for a complete package and hopefully will be able to develop a lighter touch with both horses and people. She was in the last place out of the final 4, but was 4th out of about 500 that applied for RD show. Congrads!

Jamil looked good at the beginning, but fell apart at the end - eh youth, hardly ever can go for a long time, I guess that comes with experience. Again Jamil came out dressed in gangster jeans and stood affront of the RD who was wearing a freshly dry cleaned suit with a tie. He still has about 10 years to perfect his riding and be in the next RD show and not be too old for it. Overall, great for a 16 year old kid! (I have a teen son myself)

2 remained standing: JJ and Philicia.

JJ- I was rooting for her to win and was positive that she would when only 2 remained! I even thought that how can RD compare JJ - an accomplished, refined, already successful dressage pro with Phylisia who wasn't able to make it by herself and has an "amateur tendencies" as per RD? Yet, at 28 JJ is already a formed individual with a strong set of teaching style (might be too long winded) that RD didn't care for, that might limit his working assistant since she has to communicate on the same wave link as RD with his clients. JJ clearly was the best rider by far, as RD said himself - and I like that she is able to balance being the best and not having a big head and not sounding demeaning, not attacking her students (as was said about Becca by Dottie), but trying to help them and teach them. Best of the best know their own worth and don't have to put other people down to feel good about themselves and to show how much superior knowledge they have. Seems that JJ knows how to be the best and be gracious about it. That is very valuable. I'll be watching for her in the big arena.

I was watching a show and thinking as an artist, who would I paint as a "Future Dressage Star"? When Phylisia rode the C-line she looked so refined, elegant, calm and together - I thought to myself: "she does have the best body out of all and she is so pretty, but I underestimated her skills of being able to pull it off" This is who I would paint to represent a dressage youth and future dressage dreams.
Philisia is the winner! Congrats Philisia - I'm sure that will make a HUGE difference in her life and will give her a chance that otherwise she can't get to progress with dressage training.

PS: the horse that Philisia was riding belongs now to one of the COTH members! He is a star as well!!!
I would love to hear more about the horses and their owners of this show. It is not only about riders, but horses and I found that RD didn't give the same screen time to the true heroes of the show - horses - that all of us love and the reason why we are in this sport.

Now, was this the end or there will be more? will there be a reunion episode?

slc2
Nov. 16, 2007, 02:39 PM
phileshia didn't win because she is pretty, what an insult!

snoopy
Nov. 16, 2007, 02:50 PM
[QUOTE=WB Mom;2807953]
That said, the minute Robert said one of his decision criteria was 'who would be best for the sport', I knew who had won.
QUOTE]

OKAY!!! I hold my breath as I write this....

I think it was fantastic that an African American girl from Kansas turned out to be the winner....WHY?
Because it shows that an African American girl from kansas CAN win a competition like this...
That you do not have to be from a certain part of the country, white, privledged, ect to have an interest in dressage and to be good at it.

Hopefully this flips at bulb for ANYONE who thinks they "don't fit the type" and follows their interest in dressage.

findeight
Nov. 16, 2007, 04:38 PM

HUH.

I didn't read that anybody said she won because she is pretty. Just an aside that she is a pretty girl.

Never forget this was edited down and what they chose to show you, who made mistakes, who had problems, who was good. They all made mistakes, had problems or were good. You just didn't see it all because it didn't fit the storyline they constructed.

Dressage Art
Nov. 16, 2007, 05:09 PM

I didn't read that anybody said she won because she is pretty. Just an aside that she is a pretty girl.
Yep, thanks for catching that. I would’ve seen it otherwise… Reading comprehension might be helpful for some people to keep their blood pressure down.

FancyFree
Nov. 16, 2007, 05:17 PM
I was watching a show and thinking as an artist, who would I paint as a "Future Dressage Star"? When Phylisia rode the C-line she looked so refined, elegant, calm and together - I thought to myself: "she does have the best body out of all and she is so pretty, but I underestimated her skills of being able to pull it off" This is who I would paint to represent a dressage youth and future dressage dreams.
Philisia is the winner! Congrats Philisia - I'm sure that will make a HUGE difference in her life and will give her a chance that otherwise she can't get to progress with dressage training.

Dressage Art I thought you were very complimentary of Phylisia, not minimizing her in any way. She is a pretty girl. I also think she has the perfect body type for dressage. I think RD made that comment too. I don't know how anyone could think you're implying that she won because she is pretty from that! I guess people can find negativity in anything, if they're so inclined.

Melissa.Van Doren
Nov. 16, 2007, 05:45 PM
*sigh* I was hoping we'd get to see at least two or three movements in order from each contestant in the final rides. I enjoyed the show overall, but really wish we could have seen a little more riding.

CAJumper
Nov. 16, 2007, 06:03 PM
I thought it was a great final episode - congrats to all of the competitors! They were all just lovely in that final challenge.

HanoWB88
Nov. 16, 2007, 06:22 PM
Jamil looked good at the beginning, but fell apart at the end - eh youth, hardly ever can go for a long time, I guess that comes with experience. Again Jamil came out dressed in gangster jeans and stood affront of the RD who was wearing a freshly dry cleaned suit with a tie

What are gangster jeans? Because they were baggy? That's silly.

SaraTx
Nov. 16, 2007, 08:28 PM
best of luck to all

Dressage Art
Nov. 16, 2007, 08:36 PM
What are gangster jeans? Because they were baggy? That's silly.

That's what RD called them.. no, sorry, he called them "gangster pants" ...

EssentialEQST
Nov. 16, 2007, 09:15 PM
I want to know when Philesha comes to Romance Farms to train with Dover! She has a website, but of course it doesn't mention anything about Dover other than she was a contestant.

I'm very disappointed they didn't show more of the riding and "off time".

Did anyone catch during I think Philesha's ride I think she was doing shoulder-in going left on the long side near B, and they show bay horse and her, then show a chestnut horse head, and then back to her and the bay?

I think it was her... anyway, horse in the arena was bay.

LexInVA
Nov. 16, 2007, 09:24 PM
That's what RD called them.. no, sorry, he called them "gangster pants" ...

Well at least he didn't call them "poopy pants". :lol: That alone would have been worth a few of his monologues!