PDA

View Full Version : Equestrian Star Opinions??

findeight
Oct. 19, 2007, 10:03 AM
Alright, admit I was home and FORGOT the goofy time slot until 5 minutes before it was over.

Saw the last 5 minutes and...well...if the rest was like that it was pretty good. Very tough critical remarks to each in the group-technical too.

Any thoughts from those who saw it? Will it rerun and when?

yaya
Oct. 19, 2007, 10:28 AM
I forgot about it too, until I saw the thread here. I only missed the first 10 minutes.

I checked on the DirecTV listing and it does not have any re-run times scheduled.

STF
Oct. 19, 2007, 10:30 AM
Didnt get to see it!

Melissa.Van Doren
Oct. 19, 2007, 10:49 AM
Saw it, LOVED it, can't wait for the next episode!!

The concept is great: riders must demonstrate riding ability, training ability, teaching ability, horsemanship and professionalism. The comments from Robert were a lesson all riders could appreciate and benefit from regarding care and concern for the horse as well as the need to be on your game at all times in order to be successful. I felt like I should be taking notes (thank God for TIVO). :yes:

The editing was well done and the program was fun to watch - paced well to cover a lot of ground without feeling choppy.

Two thumbs UP!

dressage72
Oct. 19, 2007, 11:09 AM
I really liked it as well! I enjoyed watching the different riding styles and teaching styles. Some were immediately better then others, but I think that is what will make the show interesting!

I like all the contestants as well. The one rider Jamil has to grow on me a bit more. Seems like a very nice kid (the youngest at 16) he has no energy or spirit and is very blaaaaahhh! After finding a new horse for him after his got injured he did not call the owners to thank them (which saved his butt from going home) AND seemed totally bored about the horse saying he was just "nice"! Can we say appreciate the GIFT! An 18 yr old ex international gp horse!!!

Hello!

I will give him a chance just because he's young!

Great editing and I like Robert's teaching style! Has me already programming next Fridays show into my DVR!

findeight
Oct. 19, 2007, 11:19 AM
Well, this was never even listed for today in my printed TWC guide. Matter of fact I tried to set the DVR last weekend in case I forgot (like I did) and something else popped up in that time slot on the on screen program guide. Out of town until Wednesday when it finally did show up.

I'll be checking their website...this channel is like Bravo and CMT, they rerun everything. Again and again and again.

mephistopheles
Oct. 19, 2007, 11:27 AM
What channel is this on?

ride-n-tx
Oct. 19, 2007, 11:56 AM
does anyone know if these episodes are going to be available on the internet? by the time i get back home after work and then the barn i have missed all tv episodes!

europferde
Oct. 19, 2007, 12:04 PM
Well, I got up before 6:00 so as not to miss it. Even got my usually uninterested husband interested. I thought it was really well done and can appeal to the general public. At least its healthy viewing compared to the garbage other reality shows are. I liked the variety of riders chosen along with their initial horses. I think we'll learn many lessons from this series as it promotes the total package that a dressage professional should aspire to. This program has been well advertised on these boards and thru the associations (USDF, USEF). So for the next 5 weeks lets tune in to FOX REALITY, Fridays at 9:00AM EST; 6:00AM PST and support the industry we love so much!

Diane
www.europferde.com

findeight
Oct. 19, 2007, 12:19 PM
So for the next 5 weeks lets tune in to FOX REALITY, Fridays at 9:00AM EST; 6:00PM PST and support the industry we love so much!

Diane

Er....you do mean 6AM there, don't you? 3 hours, not 12 and another day?

I wish it was 6pm. But that would be 9pm EDT and amidst all the higher rated sex and sleaze that do make up Fox Reality.

Pommederue
Oct. 19, 2007, 12:25 PM
I loved it! Fabulously well done. I loved Robert's standards. Great.

Wonder why was the one girl riding in a hackamore?

dwblover
Oct. 19, 2007, 12:33 PM
I loved it! Very educational and I think it could appeal to non-horsey people too. I can't wait to see it next Friday!!

Halt At X
Oct. 19, 2007, 12:49 PM
I liked it too. I really like JJ's method of teaching- she is someone I would take lessons with :)
I didn't really care for the beginning when they were laughing at some of the tapes- I felt bad for the riders that were laughed at on tv.
Overall I liked it and have it set up to record every Friday- too bad it's only 5 episodes!

Dressage Art
Oct. 19, 2007, 01:03 PM
I have it recorded on my DVR - had to upgrade to the 250 channels from the Dish Network to be able to get the Fox Reality channel. I'm waiting till the evening to watch it with my hubby. He is a non horsey hubby, but he is learning (or forced ;) ) to enjoy the finer points of dressage. I'm so exited, can't wait!!!

Edgewood
Oct. 19, 2007, 01:13 PM
Wonder why was the one girl riding in a hackamore?

I wondered that too! And no explanation for it.

Sonesta
Oct. 19, 2007, 01:15 PM
I TIVO's it and just got finished watching it. At first I was a bit put off by Dover's comments about himself thinking - "What an ego!" - then I got into it. The kids all seem nice but a couple I believe had no idea what they were getting into.

I think Jamill's problem is that he does not (yet?) know how to express his emotions around all the adults. Hopefully he will loosen up. I fear Philesha is just too quiet and shy to go too far with this.

And I agreed that JJ was top notch in her teaching style.

Can't wait for the next episode. What fun!

LexInVA
Oct. 19, 2007, 01:31 PM
I'm watching it right now. I will share my thoughts when I am done.

talloaks
Oct. 19, 2007, 01:39 PM
My trainer didn't leave until about 9:30 so I only got to see the last half or so and it was fun. Didn't really know what to expect but was pleasantly surprized. Think I will set the VCR for next Friday due to our training session.:)

MyReality
Oct. 19, 2007, 01:43 PM
I don't have US cable or Fox Reality. How can I get a copy? Is it for sale somewhere?

Bluey
Oct. 19, 2007, 01:54 PM
I thought it was on FOX channel, not on satellite, this morning, so turned it on and it had a lady giving a sermon, I think.:eek:

Where was it??? I have Dish, but didn't realized Fox has more than one channel, some on satellite.:rolleyes:

I need to watch TV more, so I may catch on.:p

Sonesta
Oct. 19, 2007, 02:04 PM
It's on the Fox Reality Channel.

LexInVA
Oct. 19, 2007, 02:05 PM
Here's two thoughts just from watching the show so far..

1. It's not going to make any sense at all to non-equestrians and certainly not those who are unfamiliar with dressage. Luckily I know a little bit. Just enough to get by. :lol:

2. Dover is enjoying himself when he pokes the contestants. A lot. I just saw him talking to Jamil like he was an acting coach. Kinda funny but I think it will get old quickly.

Libish
Oct. 19, 2007, 02:05 PM
I enjoyed it too........ I know Philecia, and it was so fun to see her on tv!!! She is exactly what Dover said... a SWEET person.... and a lovely lovely rider.

I think the teen is just that... a teen. I don't get the sense that he's ungrateful or spoiled at all... I think he just wasn't sure what to do or how to interact with Dover, et al at first. He may have been bouncing up and down like a kid when he saw that horse, but kept calm on camera....

It will be neat to see how it plays out.... I hope it does well and the producer does another equestrian series...

eggbutt
Oct. 19, 2007, 02:26 PM
Thank goodness for Tivo. Can't wait to get home and watch it! Was Brenden Curtis on today? He's working with Koford now and is such a fun person.

Carol Ames
Oct. 19, 2007, 02:27 PM
I thought it was well done, and have recommended it to some non dressage understanding friends; :yes: the producer/.network deserves many letters of thanks; :yes: ( I think it is running on the Foxreality websiteThank you Fox reality!

katarine
Oct. 19, 2007, 02:32 PM
lovely barns, horses, people, but...

kinda borrrinnng.

I hate to say that. I watched all but the first 10 minutes, I think (just happened onto it)...and I wasn't in love with it. Too much of the interaction between Dover and the group is 'ok you all line up here and I'll grill you'...sit them down and let them relax a minute and open up. Granted it's early in the deal but it was predictable and boring. Dover needs to be tougher on them.

I did really like JJ's style and enthusiasm, I thought Jamil just looked a little lost and nervous, not spoiled or ungrateful, and one girl had her visor shoved so far down over her eyes I don't know how she could see a thing, LOL.

srg
Oct. 19, 2007, 02:58 PM
JJ is the resident trainer at my farm in Maryland and I can attest that she is THE BEST instructor, rider and trainer I have ever had the pleasure to work with. I've ridden with some of the biggest of the BNTs and JJ's teaching and training style is such that I drop everything and eagerly pay attention to every word she speaks or step she rides. She always puts the welfare of the horse first.

I am really enjoying the show--never mind that I know JJ, Becca and Brendan quite well--I think its going to get better and better with each episode given the foreshadowing from Katherine that Robert has barely shown how particular he can be about things.... :D

Carol Ames
Oct. 19, 2007, 03:37 PM
It's on You tube; If nothing else, it should put an end to "riding is not a sport, :no:and the horse does all the work;" also, why do you still take lessons?:mad:

Carol Ames
Oct. 19, 2007, 03:41 PM
www.americanequestrianstar.tv (http://www.americanequestrianstar.tv/);)

Terrie
Oct. 19, 2007, 03:51 PM
My friend Tivo'd it so I hope to see it soon. I've been waiting for this show to air.

pinkngreen
Oct. 19, 2007, 03:55 PM
I really enjoyed the show. I just happened to have the TV on when my Tivo alerted me that it would be changing the channel to record this. I was so excited since I hadn't even heard of it, gotta love the Tivo wishlist!

I completely felt for them with the pressure of riding with such a BNT. After being a working student for a big name eventer when I was in my 20's I know how it feels when you first step into a situation like that. I hope they all do well after the show.

Any guesses on who might go first? I'm thinking maybe the shy girl, Philecia, but it is really hard to say just off the first episode.

Ilex
Oct. 19, 2007, 04:17 PM
Don't get cable or dish.......

Really wish it was online to watch.

CAJumper
Oct. 19, 2007, 04:26 PM
I really liked it! I can't imagine a non-horse person would find it even remotely entertaining :lol: but I will definitely be tuning in to every episode. Thank goodness for Tivo! :yes:

Such a broad range of contestants though, hard to compare them to each other at all.

pds
Oct. 19, 2007, 04:56 PM
I watched it this morning before I went to work. I thought it was good. I know JJ Tate so I'm pulling for her to win.:)

I cringed a few times at the comments Dover made when they were reviewing submitted tapes. Reminded me a bit of Simon Crowel (sp?) from American Idol.:eek:

dalpal
Oct. 19, 2007, 06:24 PM
Okay, I sheepishly admit that I was laughing at the tape of the runaway horse. Why would you send that tape in? I guess the thought was...See what I can ride.

I also have to admit that I'm looking forward to seeing the Dover explosion that Katherine alluded to.

I do agree that for the average person....this won't make alot of sense....I can see someone changing the channel after saying...What the hell is a half halt. :lol: But for me, as a horsey/dressage lover...I loved it!!!

Carol O
Oct. 19, 2007, 06:45 PM
Saw it. LOVED IT!!!! I can't wait for the next episodes! OMG Does RD have lovely biceps!!!

BRAVO RD!!! Very well done and well worth the wait! Thank you!!!!!

And yes, nothing against the younger riders, but JJ shines, as always. Her maturity stands out. She is wonderful. Wisconsin misses her! I always said she was on her way to the Olympics. It is fun to see her shine!

K Bayo
Oct. 19, 2007, 06:50 PM
I have DirecTV. What channel is Fox Reality on? Does anyone know? Thanks:cry:

snoopy
Oct. 19, 2007, 06:57 PM
Yes, I will admit that the production and flow of content was very professional...but then I would expect nothing less from robert...

I like the diversity of riders...age, experience, economic back ground. It could have gone SO differently....;) and I am glad it did not.

BUT: This programme is really only for those who can follow the terminology. This is my problem with shows like this....if it was pure riding/grooming and interviews that would be different, but the very thing "I" like best about it, the general public might find hard to follow....and there for lose interest. That said, I do not see how Robert could have done this...AT THEIR LEVEL...and still have it make sense for someone with no dressage knowledge.\

I will be watching again.

Carol Ames
Oct. 19, 2007, 07:08 PM
It will be available on DVD on the website; I found the comments on the videos they saw very enlightening:yes: As Jim Wofford would say neve rgive them a reasonnot to select you:yes:

redhorse5
Oct. 19, 2007, 07:12 PM
My husband who is not a rider watched it twice with me and loved it. He doesn't ride but sometimes watches my lessons. So he's not a complete novice but really has never taken a lesson himself.

I really liked it myself. I agree that the terminology was very specific but I think it has to be at the highest level or it wouldn't be interesting to anyone.

Dalfan
Oct. 19, 2007, 07:13 PM
I have DirecTV. What channel is Fox Reality on? Does anyone know? Thanks

190. It's listed as REAL.

trailhorse1
Oct. 19, 2007, 07:27 PM
Is it about ordinary day to day people trying to make it in the world of Dressage? Or is it about the rich who are in this to be a tv star? Is this another reality show that everything is pre-screened, pre-advised, pre-everything? Or is this an honest and goodness search for the next equestrian star?
In other words, is this just another pre-planned reality show, to get the attention of the American public and keep their minds off what is really happening in our country?
We need to really pull or heads out of our arsses and wake up folks. These shows are nothing but propaganda to keep our minds off what is really happening in this country.
Please do not support this crap!

dalpal
Oct. 19, 2007, 07:36 PM
Is it about ordinary day to day people trying to make it in the world of Dressage? Or is it about the rich who are in this to be a tv star? Is this another reality show that everything is pre-screened, pre-advised, pre-everything? Or is this an honest and goodness search for the next equestrian star?
In other words, is this just another pre-planned reality show, to get the attention of the American public and keep their minds off what is really happening in our country?
We need to really pull or heads out of our arsses and wake up folks. These shows are nothing but propaganda to keep our minds off what is really happening in this country.

Oh my word. :cry::cry::cry:

And here I was just having a little fun for one hour watching a show about dressage...which rarely ever happens. And I guess, I'm really doomed to hell because I not only saved this one, but have the DVR set to record the entire series.

snoopy
Oct. 19, 2007, 07:41 PM
Are you saying that every distraction....telly, radio, film, newspaper, magazines, plays, leaf peeping, etc is propaganda and that these things are put out to the general public in order to take our focus away "from what is happening" in the US?
I must admit that I partake in all the above mentioned but still have enough time for "current affairs"....I don't think I have been brainwashed...yet!;)

harvestmoon
Oct. 19, 2007, 07:41 PM
Or it could just be a TV show.

I guess we're only allowed to watch the news. Otherwise we have our head up our arse.

;)

jesterjigger
Oct. 19, 2007, 07:42 PM
I am so incredibly jealous of those of you that have this channel. I hope it comes out on DVD or something so that the rest of us can see it too.

dalpal
Oct. 19, 2007, 07:47 PM
Oh and to answer your question...I don't know about any of their finances..but they all seem pretty down to earth, "trying to make it in the horse industry" type folks to me.

eggbutt
Oct. 19, 2007, 07:53 PM
And a super great big THANK YOU to Karin Reid Offield for sponsoring this program! It was so fun to watch! Can't wait till next Friday!!

snoopy
Oct. 19, 2007, 07:53 PM
In other words, is this just another pre-planned reality show, to get the attention of the American public

Of course it is pre-planned...if you know how televison production works!!!

And lets HOPE "it gets the attention of the american public":D

Dalfan
Oct. 19, 2007, 07:55 PM
And a super great big THANK YOU to Karen Reid Offield for sponsoring this program

Yes. What a lovely place she has.

katarine
Oct. 19, 2007, 07:55 PM
QUOTE: These shows are nothing but propaganda to keep our minds off what is really happening in this country.
Please do not support this crap! END QUOTE

You must work for Vanity Fair - a magazine that doles out a flipping GREEN issue ( THE ICECAPS ARE MELTING!!!!), printed on slick, colored paper with heavy-weight fold out ads for 5K purses.

The sky ain't fallin' baby. That's pigeon crap on your shoulder.

TeddyRocks
Oct. 19, 2007, 08:18 PM
QUOTE: These shows are nothing but propaganda to keep our minds off what is really happening in this country.
Please do not support this crap! END QUOTE

You must work for Vanity Fair - a magazine that doles out a flipping GREEN issue ( THE ICECAPS ARE MELTING!!!!), printed on slick, colored paper with heavy-weight fold out ads for 5K purses.

The sky ain't fallin' baby. That's pigeon crap on your shoulder.

HYSTERICAL...
So... I missed the show. Hope they replay it before next weeks episode... Or will any of it end up on You Tube??? I only got to see the intro that is on you tube, and with that little bit of it, I'm not sure if I can get past how high and mighty Robert sounds. I HOPE in the series he is more down to earth...
I will definately watch it next week to see..

In the meantime I will be watching Fox News to keep up on current events, where the news is Fair and Balanced... :D

Bluey
Oct. 19, 2007, 08:35 PM
I found three Fox channels listed on Dish TV, 136, 205 and 416.
Anyone know if it is on one of those and which day, Fridays?:confused:

Dalfan
Oct. 19, 2007, 08:37 PM
I found three Fox channels listed on Dish TV, 136, 205 and 416.
Anyone know if it is on one of those and which day, Fridays?

Mine is Dish 190 - FOXREAL

Ride On
Oct. 19, 2007, 08:43 PM
I have Comcast and it is channel 232 on my tv. I thought it was pretty good.

Bluey
Oct. 19, 2007, 08:58 PM
Mine is Dish 190 - FOXREAL

Thank you so much!:cool:
Will look for it.:)

Oops! It is telling me I need to upgrade, so that is why I could not find it.:(

K Bayo
Oct. 19, 2007, 10:16 PM
Thanks Dalfan but on DirecTV neither 190 or 232 work. maybe I need to call them.:(

Dalfan
Oct. 19, 2007, 10:24 PM
maybe I need to call them

Sounds like you might have to upgrade. I have the Americas 250 or something like that. They have the packages and channels listed on their website.

saturday_sunbeam
Oct. 19, 2007, 10:49 PM
I loved it, can't wait to watch it again.

Carol Ames
Oct. 19, 2007, 10:58 PM
On Verizon FIOS it is 177

Denali
Oct. 19, 2007, 11:08 PM
I loved it. Also, my non-horsey but tolerant and supportive boyfriend rolled his eyes and said "yeah... RIGHT" when I asked if he wanted to watch it with me tonight (yay Tivo!). BUT, after about 20 minutes he sat down and actually WATCHED the rest of the episode. Asked some good questions even!

Again, I thought it was great. Can't wait to see the next episode! I hope it got the viewer numbers it needed.

It seems like the playing field isn't quite level starting off, with riders like JJ working actively as trainers already and then a 16 year old... It will be interesting to see how it all works out! It's cool how diverse of a group it is :)

I too am waiting for the Robert blow up that has been alluded to. :D

WNT
Oct. 19, 2007, 11:10 PM
I hope it works out well, ratings-wise. Then they can do an eventing one for me to try out for :winkgrin:

BelleBoyd
Oct. 20, 2007, 12:22 AM
I have DirecTV and it was on Channel 250.

merrygoround
Oct. 20, 2007, 07:21 AM
I watched it, and enjoyed it. Dover's comments were very much to the point.

However, I wish they spent less time replaying or refreshing our minds as to what went on before the last commercial break. If they spend a good portion of next weeks program refreshing our memories about this week, those that missed it will be happy, but the rest of us will be bored.

pinkngreen
Oct. 20, 2007, 08:49 AM
Paranoid much? Be careful the ads on this forum might have some hidden propaganda in them, you best be careful and stay away!

LongLeaf
Oct. 20, 2007, 09:15 AM
Wouldn't you know it, my farrier arrived EARLY yesteray (gotta love him) so I missed the last 15 minutes - the teaching segment. I LOVED the rest of the show though and can't wait until next week's episode. I also liked the variety of horses incluing an Anglo Arab (Jamil's horse) and the other fella is on an Andy / Lippy /Something Baroque.

Zen and Horses
Oct. 20, 2007, 10:41 AM
Oh, I guess I'll have to pipe-up (maybe the helmet Nazis are in a coma...)

NO HELMETS?!?!?!?!?!??!??!?!??!??!

And, no one has yet to complain about it?

I'm not sure which is more shocking. I was sure that would have been brought up first thing in this discussion. Come on Helmet Nazis, i want to hear from you !!!!

Bobby missed a huge opportunity to promote safety and make helmets 'cool' for the next generation. Bobby, I think you dropped the Troxel, or GPA, or Charles Owens....

Bliss92
Oct. 20, 2007, 10:54 AM
I loved it - I'm so glad it's not "dumbed down". Even my mom, who doesn't have a clue about horses OR dressage (even though I was a working student for a classical dressage instructor in high school... LOL), loved the show. Granted, she said some pretty stupid things after it was over - but hey, a non-horsey person loved the show, and can't wait to see who gets "voted off" next week. Of course, she's a dancing with the stars, and american idol lover - this is just horses! LOL

I loved the show, though. Yay for horse television that isn't dumbed down for the general public! hehehe

K Bayo
Oct. 20, 2007, 11:44 AM
I have DirecTV and it was on Channel 250.

Thanks so much. Now I have to wait for next Friday to watch.:D

LexInVA
Oct. 20, 2007, 12:00 PM
Oh, I guess I'll have to pipe-up (maybe the helmet Nazis are in a coma...)

NO HELMETS?!?!?!?!?!??!??!?!??!??!

And, no one has yet to complain about it?

I'm not sure which is more shocking. I was sure that would have been brought up first thing in this discussion. Come on Helmet Nazis, i want to hear from you !!!!

Bobby missed a huge opportunity to promote safety and make helmets 'cool' for the next generation. Bobby, I think you dropped the Troxel, or GPA, or Charles Owens....

I did notice the no helmet thing going on but to be honest I've seen it many times lately with the dressage folk around here so I guess it's a normal thing these days.

Dressage Art
Oct. 20, 2007, 12:42 PM
Loved the show, my hubby loved it as well. I share RD sentiments that the contestants must pick it up - they mostly look quite quiet. If it wasn't for RD enthusiasm, I would off thought that they don't care much...

Also think that JJ 28 and a teen of 16 - is not a level field. I have a kid myself who is 14 years old and they are just still kids at that age...

Mike Matson
Oct. 20, 2007, 01:54 PM
Nobody gets voted off each week. Robert makes a selection at the end.

egontoast
Oct. 20, 2007, 02:23 PM
[QUOTE][Nobody gets voted off each week. Robert makes a selection at the end. /QUOTE]

I'm glad to hear that. I hate the survivor/weakest link 'mentality'.

europferde
Oct. 20, 2007, 03:12 PM

We all know what is happening in this country. Enjoying this show about something we all love and support doesn't take away from that. May I remind you that no matter what level we are involved in financially with this sport doesn't take away the fact that this (horse) industry supports a huge part of the US economy. I can't begin to tell you how much I've pumped into the local economy by doing what I do. Employment; hay; shavings, construction, equipment;.......... I can assure you that I am awake and my head is not up my ass!! People like u really piss me off and thats REALLY HARD TO DO.

www.europferde.com

dalpal
Oct. 20, 2007, 03:14 PM
I thought the first elimination round was next week...if I'm not mistaken the promo said..."And someone will be going home"

As for helmets....I wear one, but really could care less if anyone else does or not.

Bliss92
Oct. 20, 2007, 03:33 PM
I thought the first elimination round was next week...if I'm not mistaken the promo said..."And someone will be going home"

Yup, that's what it said. The first elimination is next week.

Someone will be "voted off" the farm, even if the only person voting is RD!

dressage72
Oct. 20, 2007, 04:00 PM
I watched it, and enjoyed it. Dover's comments were very much to the point.

However, I wish they spent less time replaying or refreshing our minds as to what went on before the last commercial break. If they spend a good portion of next weeks program refreshing our memories about this week, those that missed it will be happy, but the rest of us will be bored.

Merrygoround I completely agree with this! They came back from every break and I was like OOOOOOKAAAAAYYYYY!!!

Move on and get with the show! I do think it was still very well produced from what I've seen before.

Again, like I said I was a little disappointed that Jamil didn't instantly give thanks for the horse or make an attempt to get the # for the owner. I know he's young, but at 16 I know that is the first thing I would have done. Just to see him chilling out in the gazebo rubbed me the wrong way.....two seconds to get a phone # and 5 minutes on the phone for thanks. I'm sure he's a great kid which is why I said I'll give him the benefit of the doubt..........but still.

I adore J.J and agree the playing field from her to a 16-18 year old is beyond not being fair.

In my honest opinion I think he choses Lindy (yes even with that cap all the way over her eyes)! She is young, mold able, I am sure out of school (which would allow her to work for him) and from what I see a very lovely rider.

Just my pick! J.J sort has already made a name and business for herself and even though I adore her, it seems odd that she is there.

dalpal
Oct. 20, 2007, 05:25 PM
I agree with JJ as my pick......she's definitley the most experienced. I also like Becca and Brendan as well...those would be my top three....but youre right, he may want someone in their late teens, in order to mold them HIS way.

I agree about Jamil and his super fancy, international mount...I would have been jumping up and down and hugging everyone who helped find that horse for me.

petitefilly
Oct. 20, 2007, 11:45 PM
I liked the show! My only complaint was the video during the lessons was too concentrated on the people, and no one videoed the horses working as they talked. It was either the horses were moving with no direct teaching from the center of the ring, or the teaching was being said and you could not see the horse and rider doing what was being taught. The five minutes with Kathy Connelly was very disconnected, she was talking and they were filming legs everywhere on the horses. It as not even the same space in time; she was talking to one rider and the legs of another horse would appear. Continuity PLEASE! Oh well, another editing problem that is too hard to address I suppose.

The helmets missing? Hell, yes! :) But, they did hand out ball caps to everyone, and in one line up all of them had shades too. It seemed like a team effort. The sun is rough in Florida so I understand the shades and ball caps, but in all honesty, yeah, there should have been a few hardhats on riders. They did not have to show the kids how not to dress for dressage when Robert is harping after them to have boots, spurs, and tucked in shirts on all the time to be professional. Ah-huh- a hard hat might be professional too in the long run.

Okay, I have to be serious and say it an excellent idea to showcase riding, especially dressage, because nobody who does not ride dressage tends to *get it*. People have this idea that you hop on a horse and just go around in a circle, what is so hard about that? I'm hoping the difficult nature of the subject is brought to the surface so we can have a few people with "ah-ha" moments in their lives. :)

I am anxious to see all the installments, it ought to be a great project to get someone like Simon on to give'em hell too. LOL We all can't have Randy and Paula in our dressage rings everyday!!!

petitefilly
Oct. 20, 2007, 11:46 PM
I agree about Jamil and his super fancy, international mount...I would have been jumping up and down and hugging everyone who helped find that horse for me.

LOL I would have been kissing the butt of the person who arranged that deal! What a coup. Jamil was one lucky wittle warrrrib.

Selleconn
Oct. 21, 2007, 12:29 AM
FoxReality has a few of their shows on iTunes, but so far they do not have this one. This would be the easiest way for those without the channel to watch online or on their iPods. The FoxReality website has a feedback form, which can be used to show support for the show as well as to beg them to put it on iTunes!

EssentialEQST
Oct. 21, 2007, 06:16 AM

What a downer you are :rolleyes:

I WILL support it because BY GOD THERE IS DRESSAGE ON TV!!! Yes, there is a war going on, and our president is an idiot... however, what the hell can I do about it besides vote in the next election, and when my BILs get shipped off to Iraq for their second tours, pray to god they return safely.

Why on earth do I want to down myself with hyped propaganda about the war and politics day in and day out?? I don't... so yes, I will support the fact that my sport is on t.v. in some shape, form, or fashion. Edited and pre-planned!

Hazelnut
Oct. 21, 2007, 08:22 AM
http://www.foxreality.com/contactus.php

I agree with everyone who is saying there is a dressage show on TV, lets support it and educate others to the sport.

PS: I can't get it so I will ASK forthe ipodversion.

HotIITrot
Oct. 21, 2007, 12:00 PM
... I adore J.J and agree the playing field from her to a 16-18 year old is beyond not being fair. ... J.J sort has already made a name and business for herself and even though I adore her, it seems odd that she is there.

I definitely have to agree on that one. They were probably looking for some diversity to make things more interesting. I would guess that they wouldn’t select JJ as the winner just because she does have a business going already, but would choose someone who shows talent (among other things), is young, and not quite as fortunate (doesn’t have the means to start their own business & would struggle getting started). Working for RD would give them a huge stepping stone & take them places where they wouldn’t normally be able to go. :cool:

... Again, like I said I was a little disappointed that Jamil didn't instantly give thanks for the horse or make an attempt to get the # for the owner. I know he's young, but at 16 I know that is the first thing I would have done. Just to see him chilling out in the gazebo rubbed me the wrong way ...

Yeah, he didn’t react very well considering the situation. With that said, I think this exposure he’s receiving is a huge learning experience for him (esp. considering his tender age. He should, and probably does, feel privileged for being selected, esp. at 16 years old. What an awesome experience and learning opportunity). I might be wrong here, but I don’t think he’s going to win. However, if he absorbs all he can and takes advantage of this experience, he could most definitely walk away a changed person. If he does, I don’t think he’ll be making this mistake again! ;)

Dressage Art
Oct. 21, 2007, 02:36 PM
For some trainers it is not enough to have a highly successful local business and do great on State or HOY shows – their true goal is an international competition. They can have a hard time braking in to that level and feel that they failed their goal. Some become quite bitter and feel that they are way too good for the local market, but frustrated why they can’t brake in to the next level. From JJ comments that it’s time for her to do something or she will always will stay a local trainer (something along those lines) it seems that she one of the people with a goal of international recognition for herself and her horses. May be this TV show will bring her new sponsors and new possibilities that she needs to brake thru. It definitely puts her on the spot light and gives her great name recognition – and that is already quite important.

I would be surprised to see RD pick JJ as the winner. I think he would pick somebody who is younger and didn’t had as many opportunities as JJ in dressage. As for Jamil - he is a kid and will not be a next Equestrian Star either ... he is in school and doesn't have a good people skills yet. As well as the shy Philesha who lacks leadership skills that RD seeks. So probably, those 3 would be voted off first. I can’t figure out yet who are the strongest contenders are out of Lindy, Brendan and Rebecca.

Also, Anky went to her first Olympic games when she was 21 years old – that would be really interesting if RD really can pick an equestrian star that he can train and take to the Olympics!!!! RD obviously knows how it can be done!

dalpal
Oct. 21, 2007, 02:48 PM
For some trainers it is not enough to have a highly successful local business and do great on State or HOY shows – their true goal is an international competition. They can have a hard time braking in to that level and feel that they failed their goal. Some become quite bitter and feel that they are way too good for the local market, but frustrated why they can’t brake in to the next level. From JJ comments that it’s time for her to do something or she will always will stay a local trainer (something along those lines) it seems that she one of the people with a goal of international recognition for herself and her horses. May be this TV show will bring her new sponsors and new possibilities that she needs to brake thru. It definitely puts her on the spot light and gives her great name recognition – and that is already quite important.

I would be surprised to see RD pick JJ as the winner. I think he would pick somebody who is younger and didn’t had as many opportunities as JJ in dressage. As for Jamil - he is a kid and will not be a next Equestrian Star either ... he is in school and doesn't have a good people skills yet. As well as the shy Philesha who lacks leadership skills that RD seeks.So those 3 would be voted off first. I can’t figure out yet who are the strongest contenders are out of Lindy, Brendan and Rebecca.

Also, Anky went to her first Olympic games when she was 21 years old – that would be really interesting if RD really can pick an equestrian star that he can train and take to the Olympics!!!!

JJ didn't say this...Becca did.

Dressage Art
Oct. 21, 2007, 02:54 PM
Ups, OK, switch the names then ;)

HotIITrot
Oct. 21, 2007, 03:29 PM
For some trainers it is not enough to have a highly successful local business and do great on State or HOY shows – their true goal is an international competition. They can have a hard time braking in to that level and feel that they failed their goal. Some become quite bitter and feel that they are way too good for the local market, but frustrated why they can’t brake in to the next level. ... May be this TV show will bring her [JJ] new sponsors and new possibilities that she needs to brake thru. It definitely puts her on the spot light and gives her great name recognition – and that is already quite important.

Good Point

Carol O
Oct. 21, 2007, 03:45 PM
I think Becca will win, not becouse she is more talented than JJ but because JJ does have a great thing going on her own already. I do expect to see JJ on the Team someday, perhaps very soon. Becca has a lot of talent, and she is the one looking to break away from the "backyard trainer" role. I think she has more time to an assistant to RD at this time (or as of the time this was filmed). What a great opportunity for all these riders!

Anybody notice the lack of helmets? My 14 year old son was onto that immediately.

specialops
Oct. 21, 2007, 04:10 PM
I noticed the no helmets and thought that at least it was honest. When you see helmets in the DT magazine on people you know full well don't wear helments it seems fake. If this is going to be reality TV, then let it be reality for these particular riders.

I'm not saying it is right or wrong, but it is real.

yaya
Oct. 21, 2007, 05:31 PM
Y'all keep forgetting that this thing was filmed well over a year ago. (I believe it was supposed to be the fall of 2005, but got pushed back because of Hurricane Wilma and occured spring of 2006).

Whatever successes the participants are having now probably occurred after this show was filmed, so has nothing to do with who will stay and who will go.

Hazelnut
Oct. 21, 2007, 06:45 PM
I watched the first show recap on the web site. :D Not as good as the whole show, but better than nothing for someone without cable. :yes: