PDA

View Full Version : Took a good fall today :( Ouch!

Huntertwo
Oct. 16, 2007, 08:27 PM
Okay, I'm still a little fuzzy so I hope this post makes sense....

I did something really stupid today on our daily trail ride.. Mind you I ride Western with a Bob Marshall treeless. So we were trotting briskly along and a tree had fallen over our path - So, me being the Cross Country wanna-be decides we are going to jump it.

My mare popped the jumped, I ended up somewhat over her neck as she brought her head up. Ended up smacking my teeth and nose on her bridle path area. Pink lipstick on her head marked the spot...;)
And a nice bruise on my stomach after landing on the horn...lol

Oh and thats not even the fall....After checking that I still had my front teeth we moved on. :D

There is a trail I've taken once before that basically goes straight down. She is great at navigating down hill, baby steps all the way. Trail is very narrow and no place to turn around once you start.

About half way down, she stops...Now I realize that the B.M. saddle has now slipped forward over my mutton withered mares neck! :eek::eek: We're at a real steep angle on a real narrow trail and how the heck am I going to get off? I'm praying she doesn't start freaking out, which she didn't.

I took my feet out of the stirrups and try to slide off, but at the moment the back of the saddle flips up and I literally flipped off back wards landing on my head and back...Ouch! Had a major headache even with my helmet and must have bruised my tail bone.

My poor mare, Twinkie, is just standing there with the reins sitting on her ears and the saddle half way up her neck. She never flinched, freaked or anything.
I fixed the saddle the best I could until I hand walked her to the bottom of the hill. Then had her *carry* me back to the barn.

Any opinions if I would have fared better with a treed saddle? I was looking at the Fabtron, Abetta and Big Horn saddle and the prices were pretty reasonable.
She is mutton withered, so I'm wondering if I would have had the same outcome?

Mind you I'm 47 yrs and don't bounce like I used to...:no:

ChocoMare
Oct. 16, 2007, 08:58 PM
Ooomph! That smarts :no:

Hot baths, arnica pills under your tongue and Sore-No-More rubbed into the bruises helps tremendously with the owies. Advil couldn't hurt either!

JINGLES!

prudence
Oct. 16, 2007, 09:30 PM
Maybe a crupper would help, at least with the downhill problem! Sorry you are hurting and aleve is great by the way.

tbtrailrider
Oct. 16, 2007, 09:34 PM
Maybe a crupper would help, at least with the downhill problem! Sorry you are hurting and aleve is great by the way.

That is what I am thinking...esp.if she is mutton withered...ain't nothing gonna stay stationary on her back on a real steep downhill.

Eventer55
Oct. 16, 2007, 09:45 PM
I have an aged Arab mare that in her day didn't leave the barn without a crupper. I am now riding a Tb mare that does not leave the barn without a crupper. My Arab mare was a CT/endurance horse and my Tb mare is an eventer. Both have no withers at all.

I'm 52 and I don't bounce at all anymore:(:eek::( Lots of advil!!!!!!!!!!:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

Bank of Dad
Oct. 16, 2007, 10:20 PM
http://www.advantagehorsemanship.com/store/products/saddle.php

I have used this saddle since I started riding young hot Arabs. I was a true to my Stubben person for 30 years, but at almost 60 now, this saddle has saved my skin several times. Its all suede, not many layers so I can really feel the horse, and real sticky. Its full QH bars, 28-29 inches in lenght front to back, fits my mutton arab well, and with a Tacky Too pad, and neoprene girth, does not move.

Maybe just the Tacky Too pad would work for you. I don't know how they work with treeless.

I had the Abetta endurance, but felt it didn't position my legs well and my balance was off.

Bluey
Oct. 16, 2007, 10:42 PM
Can't help with other than what has been mentioned, use a crouper.

I wanted to say that once, riding a thelwell looking rotund four year old paint mare, in my english saddle, we were going down a very steep hill in a night ride to the beach, in the dark, when she stopped with her head all the way down to smell something and the saddle and I came right over her neck and head, to land at her feet.
She just stood there and let me undo the cinch from around her ankles and saddle her again and we walked the rest of the way down, no harm done.:D

I hope you were not hurt too much.:(

matryoshka
Oct. 16, 2007, 11:03 PM
If you use a crupper, make sure you put it on your horse and let her get used to it first. It will help keep the saddle from slipping forward, but it won't keep it from slipping to the side. You wouldn't have had to dismount if the saddle had stayed back.

What a predicament!

jeano
Oct. 17, 2007, 10:58 AM
my witherless mare goes fine in an abetta, saddle has rolled but never gone forward. Nonslip pads help, ditto girths, and in mountains I would advise breastcollar AND crupper and possibly a breeching also. Big Horns have been good saddles for me also, havent tried a fabtron yet but their replacement cordura fenders have radically improved the infamous and unspeakable Wintec Western....now almost comfortable thanks to the addtion of the fabtron fenders and a cashel tush cush.

Huntertwo
Oct. 17, 2007, 12:09 PM
Thanks guys..:) Took some Aleve last night and this morning and feel much better. A little bit of a stiff neck but thats it.

Of course Mr.H2 is busting my arse and is telling me my nose is crooked,:cool: my face looks messed up and I should give up horses and take up needle pointing...:sleepy:

Bank of Dad
Oct. 17, 2007, 01:03 PM
Tell him needlepoints too hard on the eyes and fingers.

matryoshka
Oct. 18, 2007, 04:05 PM
Tell him you're willing to give up riding and take on improvements to him for a hobby!

Huntertwo
Nov. 12, 2007, 02:59 PM
Well, its been almost a month since my header. Now something strange is going on upstairs. :no:

Every time I lope or do anything head jarring, I'm getting wicked sharp pains on the left side of my head..

Yesterday morning I fed for the BO, it was a bit slippery and I fell on my arse and sure enough my head started to ache.
Rode today, loped a bit and again, sharp pains on the left side of my head.
It feels like you when you eat something super cold and you get that brain freeze.

I have an appointment Wed. for the Dr. as Mr.H2 threatened to drag me to the Emergency room yesterday morning. :(

ChocoMare
Nov. 12, 2007, 03:08 PM
Oh, I'm glad to hear you're going. After a concussion at the age of 17 (not horses...hockey ;)), I would up with migraines--some worse than others--even all these 24 years later.

Don't not to dink around mit your brain ;)

jazzrider
Nov. 12, 2007, 04:30 PM
Absolutely go see the doctor. Very smart. :yes: Did you go right after it happened? I'll cross my fingers and jingle that it's a pinched nerve of sorts, rather than something more serious.

Did you get a new helmet after that fall? :)

Huntertwo
Nov. 12, 2007, 07:11 PM
Absolutely go see the doctor. Very smart. :yes: Did you go right after it happened? I'll cross my fingers and jingle that it's a pinched nerve of sorts, rather than something more serious.

Did you get a new helmet after that fall? :)

Thanks guys,
Jazzrider,
No, I didn't see a Dr. after it happened. I had your typical after fall headache, but it went away.
This just started happening recently and only if I do something that "jars" my head - Like loping- I slipped on my behind yesterday.. I rode this morning and it happened again. Took a couple of Advil and as of now (7:00pm) it still is hurting. :confused:

That is a good idea about getting a new helmet. And I was just at the "Equine Affaire" this past Friday..

matryoshka
Nov. 12, 2007, 07:45 PM
Keep us posted! I hope it is not serious!! :no:

jazzrider
Nov. 12, 2007, 08:16 PM
That is a good idea about getting a new helmet. And I was just at the "Equine Affaire" this past Friday..

Any time your helmet takes a good konk, it's not a bad idea. Better safe than sorry. :yes: Take this opportunity to get a nifty new helmet and do some therapeutic shopping to ease your pain. :D

I just got this last week (in black)! :D
http://www.troxelhelmets.com/products/features.php?ProductID=31

ChocoMare
Nov. 15, 2007, 08:57 PM
So H2... how ya feeling? What'd the doc say? Inquiring (and concered) minds want to know :)

Huntertwo
Nov. 15, 2007, 09:20 PM
So H2... how ya feeling? What'd the doc say? Inquiring (and concered) minds want to know :)

Hi ChocoMare thank you for asking. This is the reason I like the Endurance folks. ;) Went to the Dr. yesterday and he thought it was strange the headaches have started just recently.

He didn't seem too concerned, which made me feel a bit better.
But anyways, I am scheduled to have a CAT Scan next Wednesday.

I did make him laugh though -
He asked me if I have been forgetful lately and I answered "Not that I can remember" :lol: It took him a second and he just chuckled...

He told me not to ride for 2 weeks...:cry: And then try again, if my head still hurts give it a few more weeks off... Waaahhhh..

Aww the joys of getting older.. Thanks again :)

ChocoMare
Nov. 16, 2007, 07:17 AM
Well if the Doc scheduled the CAT scan for next Wednesday, I guess he's not overly concerned. That's good. :yes:

Will be praying that there's nothing there....well, your brain will be there of course....but nothing else. Yeah, yeah. That's it. :lol:

JSwan
Nov. 16, 2007, 07:36 AM
Huntertwo -

I just read this thread and learned how you had your accident. (You had posted on off course about stuff to do with the horse on the ground since you can't ride)

I wanted to say that I give you a "10" for style on that fall. And a 9.5 for the incident leading up to it. :D

On the saddle, I have a mutton withered horse that I foxhunt. Lots of very steep up and down hills - usually at speed.

A nonslip pad has helped with side to side movement, but the real help is the breastplate. Does your saddle have dees for a breastplate?

If your horse is sensitive to neoprene, you might try the old fashioned method of a chamois. Mine kept bunching up under the saddle -but I think it was either user error or that the saddle was slipping back - since at the time I wasn't using the breastplate.

Basically what I'm using now is a neoprene lined girth and the breastplate, and so far the saddle isn't shifting during 3-4 hours in the saddle. Which is a relief - because the shifting was causing pressure points and white hairs. Treeless saddles don't have that problem, right? So you'd just be focusing on if it stops movement of the saddle.

Hope you're back in the saddle soon!

Huntertwo
Nov. 16, 2007, 09:29 AM
Hi JSwan, Thanks :)
I actually sold my Bob Marshall on Ebay last week and bought a treed Abetta Endurance saddle. I also bought a no slip pad from SmartPak and that has really seemed to help.

Falls are amazing aren't they? lol It happens sooo fast, air time and then thud.
When I was younger it was - thud, bounce!

Now it is just - Thud, lay there...:dead:

I just read on the Dressage Forum about the poor young girl who died after falling...terrible :no: And she was due to be married in two weeks.

x-rab
Nov. 16, 2007, 04:33 PM
H2, since it seems the doctor is not concerned, try sitting up straight and dropping your head forward and letting it hang for about 30 seconds. It is a good neck and upper spine stretch and may help things out until you get a firm diagnosis.

I am still in PT from getting dumped on Labor Day and hope to ride at a walk again tomorrow. My problem is in the lower back/hip area.

matryoshka
Nov. 16, 2007, 04:59 PM
I was riding a friend's horse this week who is a known stumbler. I've been trimming him to get the toes back to see if it will help with the stumbling. It might have helped if I'd put the right size boots on him.

Anyway, we were going a bit fast toward the end of the ride. I was trying to figure out how to let him gait, and he was trying to figure out how to trot (he was trying to please me I guess). In the confusion about what gait we were supposed to be doing, I momentarily shifted my weight forward and BAM! He went down on his knees. The down part wasn't so bad. It's when he threw his head up to get up onto his feet that his crest hit my descending face and nose. Whap!

I briefly saw stars, then not much as my darn eye started tearing up! It didn't hurt much, but it was a surprise. That's actually the first time that has ever happened to me on the trail. It was corrected and we were moving forward again in the space of a second or two that it was almost surreal, except for the tears running from my eye.

Anyway, it made me think of Huntertwo and wonder how she is. I'm glad to see that her discomfort is being looked into.

x-rab, sorry about your injury. Those injuries to the lower back and pelvis can very painful!! I still have problems from mine, but it isn't enough to keep me from riding. Phew!!

JSwan
Nov. 16, 2007, 06:50 PM
x-rab - you're still hurting? Once you're recovered enough - ask your dr about Pilates. It's the only thing that helps me - at all. (really bad back)

Huntertwo - how nice for you that you just go thud and lay there. When I land I make craters.:D

(that was sad about the young lady. My farrier recently told me that my previous farrier was riding alone in one evening and was found about 12 hours later. No one could determine if if fell, or was kicked. Anyway - he's alive. Kind of.)

Huntertwo
Nov. 16, 2007, 07:09 PM
x-rab - you're still hurting? Once you're recovered enough - ask your dr about Pilates. It's the only thing that helps me - at all. (really bad back)

Huntertwo - how nice for you that you just go thud and lay there. When I land I make craters.:D

(that was sad about the young lady. My farrier recently told me that my previous farrier was riding alone in one evening and was found about 12 hours later. No one could determine if if fell, or was kicked. Anyway - he's alive. Kind of.)

Oh no JSwan, I crushed every fern that lay in my way..Remember making snow angels when you were a kid? Well thats how the ferns looked..:eek:

Sorry about your previous farrier. Rougher on the family, I'm sure.

X-Rab, Thanks! I'll try that exercise. Since Labor Day? Back problems could be quite debilitating (long term) I hope you don't have lingering pain problems. How is your long term prognosis?

Matryoshka, Doesn't that hurt like #ell? You don't know what to check first, for a broken nose or missing teeth.

Maybe we should start using those full face masks that the Bull Riders wear. I've seen some of those guys get smacked in the face - I don't know how they survive.:no:

x-rab
Nov. 19, 2007, 08:32 AM
My long term prognosis is good. I did get a short ride in on Saturday and my horse probably went OK, don't know why we were out so short a time, but I got lots of treats. My bones healed a long time ago, it is just the muscles and nerves that are still upset with me some what. I work with the PT folks and am working back into a good exercise and stretching program.

It is taking so long because Hank basically sling shotted me off his back at a full gallop and the ground was so hard. I landed on my most padded part and that padding is upset about the abuse. Since taking a bath with hot water and epsom salt really helps a lot, I know that things are not permanent damaged. I just have to get back into shape.

H2, please let us know about the cat scan.

JSwann, I will compare my craters with your craters any time. Just give me a couple more months to heal off this one.

Huntertwo
Nov. 21, 2007, 07:30 PM
Went for the CAT Scan today and everything seems normal. The Techs. couldn't tell me anything, except that they "Saw a brain"...lol (at least that part was good news :))

They did tell me if it was serious the Radiologist who looks at the pictures all day would call me ASAP if something was wrong. Haven't heard anything, Soooo it looks like I'll be riding next week!!! Yippee! :)

Freebird!
Nov. 21, 2007, 08:04 PM
Well, that's great! DO continue to take it easy though!(coming from someone who has had 8 - as in knocked totally out - concussions)

ChocoMare
Nov. 21, 2007, 08:21 PM
Glad to hear it H2! Happy trails!!! :D

JSwan
Nov. 21, 2007, 08:41 PM
Great news - for both of you!

Hope you're both 100% soon.

Dune
Nov. 21, 2007, 09:13 PM
Maybe it's not your head, but more like your neck is out. (not a diagnosis, just a thought) Do you go to a chiropractor? Anytime I come off, if it doesn't involve a trip to the ER, I head first to my massage therapist and then to the chiro. :yes:

Dressage Art
Nov. 25, 2007, 09:10 PM
I hope you'll feel better soon.