PDA

View Full Version : Anky bucked off at clinic

Pages : [1] 2

Miss Dior
Oct. 15, 2007, 08:52 PM
Saw on the other board. Hope she is ok. Not fun. There was a video on Youtube and it was removed. Sjef anyone??

dutchmike
Oct. 15, 2007, 08:56 PM
It happens to the best. I really don't see the big deal. We fall ,we stand up

petitefilly
Oct. 15, 2007, 08:59 PM
Saw on the other board. Hope she is ok. Not fun. There was a video on Youtube and it was removed. Sjef anyone??

Man, I do hope she is okay also, it is never good to hear when someone gets the dirt in the face. :( I hate hitting the ground, and I had a fall a couple of months ago, and it was NOT fun. I went flying when my horse was trotting and my husband came around a corner without warning. I hit the ground like a bag of wet cement. I had a black and blue body, a swollen butt, it turned more shades of blue, purple, green, and yellow than I had ever seen. NOT fun. I wish her well.

And no broken bones! Please! Remember always that horses are horses, and we do have to realize anyone can come in contact with the dirt on a bad day.

STF
Oct. 15, 2007, 09:00 PM
As I tell people..... those who have not been bucked off just has not ridden enough horses! :lol:

grayarabpony
Oct. 15, 2007, 09:07 PM
Is Anky now the Jennifer Anniston of the horse world?

enjoytheride
Oct. 15, 2007, 09:09 PM
I expect her to be on Perez Hilton any day now.

Miss Dior
Oct. 15, 2007, 09:11 PM
Actually the video link is posted on TOB ... it made the Dutch news. Yikes!!!

Tanyanoel
Oct. 15, 2007, 09:15 PM
Sorry to ask, but what is TOB?

Daydream Believer
Oct. 15, 2007, 10:27 PM
If you watch this link for a while...the video...

http://www.rtl.nl/(vm=/actueel/rtlboulevard/home/)/system/video/html/components/actueel/rtlboulevard/miMedia/2007/week42/ma_ankie.avi_plain.xml

you can see her get bucked off.

dutchmike
Oct. 15, 2007, 10:39 PM
So Sjef said her confidence is damaged because she also fell of in Oslo. IMO it happens and I don't understand how a pro rider can have her confidence shaken because of that.

Pony Fixer
Oct. 15, 2007, 10:44 PM
Actually, I don't understand what being a professional has to do with it. Anyone can have their confidence shaken, even in their "line of work". I have been kicked enough times in my job to now break out in a sweat in certain circumstances fearing another one coming. It hasn't stopped me from my job, but it can make you occasionally question.

Plus, having kids puts a whole new spin on falling off. I NEVER thought that would happen to me, but now my horses wear "neck straps" when I hack out--just in case. I can't do my child any good if I'm in a cast, or worse, dead.

dutchmike
Oct. 15, 2007, 10:50 PM
If I have to think about the risks I take with accepting nut cases then it is time for me to stop. Falling off is part of our profession no more and no less. Do I like to hit the deck or do I bounce as easy as when I was 20?. Ofcourse not however I will not let a fall interfer with my work. If I would only ride well behaved horses I honestly think I would be bored in no time.

Dalfan
Oct. 15, 2007, 10:52 PM
Good thing she had a helmet on.

Miss Dior
Oct. 15, 2007, 11:08 PM
TOB= the other bulletin board

citydog
Oct. 15, 2007, 11:15 PM
If I have to think about the risks I take with accepting nut cases then it is time for me to stop. Falling off is part of our profession no more and no less.

Right, but no one ever knows when something is going to affect them or what is going to affect them.

Personally, I used to ride really difficult horses, had my share of wrecks and my confidence was never affected in the least bit. Then I had one utterly unremarkable, quickly stopped bolting incident that inexplicably rattled me quite a bit and set the stage for truly paralyzing fear to set in after a wreck due to ground bees that took a *lot* of work to overcome, and left me a very different rider. *shrugs* Human brains are weird.

dutchmike
Oct. 15, 2007, 11:39 PM
Wow! Just watched the video. That was some bucking fit. Like a rodeo bronc! Completely across the whole width of the arena. I'm super impressed she stayed on as long as she did!

I'll bet most of the people on this board couldn't have stayed on that long through that type of equine tirade.

Yep some nice bucks, she was lost once she let herself get forewards in the saddle. She should be proud of herself , like you said alot of people would have hit the deck sooner

Eventer13
Oct. 16, 2007, 12:15 AM
Very athletic horse. Like to see a bronc rider stay on that one :)

One thing I can say: I wish riding was big enough over here that we heard about the BNRs getting bucked off.

Eventer13
Oct. 16, 2007, 12:20 AM
Anyone else thinking the news anchors are much better looking over there?

naters
Oct. 16, 2007, 12:25 AM
Sorry... which one is that? I can't keep up with all of the other boards :lol:

TOB= the other bulletin board

PaulaM
Oct. 16, 2007, 12:33 AM
Wow, that was quite the bucking spree he had going on there. The majority of rider's out there wouldn't have been able to stick to those.

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
Oct. 16, 2007, 12:51 AM
So Sjef said her confidence is damaged because she also fell of in Oslo. IMO it happens and I don't understand how a pro rider can have her confidence shaken because of that.

I'm not a pro and certainly not one of the most confident riders anyhow, but getting your confidence shaken is human. The "size" of the event it takes might be different for each person, but I think not having any fear in response to frightning events is at the least unhealthy as fear can be a good warning sign. Obviously, as a pro rider, one needs to be able to work through that fear to be highly effective again, but there's no shame in having it.

And I suspect motherhood does make a difference also. I know a very gutsy, confident and competent aa rider who couldn't understand fearful riders at all-- and as soon as she became a mother all the sudden had riding related fear she had never known before.

Sabine
Oct. 16, 2007, 01:06 AM
what a great rider...wow- she stayed on for a long time on that horse and he did not want to let go...

she rode the day after as far as I can piece it together and won on Krack Z- tough lady- one more victory in my mind...and tons of kudos for her being a young mom of two small children and showing a consistently friendly and professional attitude towards her fans.
see www.anky.nl for further pictures...

~Freedom~
Oct. 16, 2007, 01:14 AM
Let me know when someone puts it on youtube. I can't get any videos that come from Europe to work. The stallion video in the other thread lasted 5 seconds and froze on me. This one did absolutely nothing.

WhatzUp
Oct. 16, 2007, 01:38 AM
Let me know when someone puts it on youtube. I can't get any videos that come from Europe to work. The stallion video in the other thread lasted 5 seconds and froze on me. This one did absolutely nothing.

Hi !

Choose the laag not hoog under kwalileit (lower right corner)...

I agree that she was lost once she got ahead of his shoulder ... who hasn't been there though ...?

Yours in sport,

Lynn

dwblover
Oct. 16, 2007, 02:23 AM
WOW, I cannot believe she stayed on that long!!! Kudos to her. That was some stickability. I don't think that horse planned on stopping until she was on the ground. It looked like the horse came close to her while she was lying on the ground too. Glad she is okay. Man, she has been having tough luck lately.

Bogey2
Oct. 16, 2007, 06:31 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:lol:
now THAT'S more newsworthy than a pro getting bucked off of a horse.

Pony Fixer, good post.

JRG
Oct. 16, 2007, 06:33 AM
I am amazed that they did a whole segment on this. I mean really, everyone has bad moments but to be put on national tv and have anchors discussing it....owy.

As for the eye candy, bring it on!

Sannois
Oct. 16, 2007, 07:02 AM

What a bunch of Hotties! :D

Rusty Stirrup
Oct. 16, 2007, 08:41 AM
I know I am a lowly amateur and shouldn't be allowed to comment, but these people keep making my point, these are not dressage horses, these are show horses. If your horses kept freaking at events wouldn't you reevaluate your training methods? FEI code of conduct (welfare of the horse) #1, a and b. I feel very bad for Anky and her mount and hope they have no lasting effects, physical or mental. I know my riding priorities changed when I became a Mom. I also hope these incidents open many eyes.

siegi b.
Oct. 16, 2007, 08:55 AM
Rusty Stirrup - you may want to turn your sound up a little so you can hear the RACKET made by the audience applauding. I would like to see any of the "classically" trained horses in this country not lose their minds given that environment. And it will happen with just about every young horse in Europe until they get used to it. It just doesn't usually get reported.....

snoopy
Oct. 16, 2007, 09:00 AM
I said this before...and was slammed for it....
BUT:

This is not just a run of bad luck....it is known that she has much trouble with these outbursts...not just in public..it happens quite frequently at home in the school and whilst out hacking. She may not always fall off, but this behaviour seems to be a common occurance with some of her horses.:confused:

Rusty Stirrup
Oct. 16, 2007, 09:02 AM
Hey, I for one have been giving Anky the benefit of the doubt, but this is getting dangerous. The code of conduct basically says not to put your horses in these kind of situations.

enjoytheride
Oct. 16, 2007, 09:04 AM
I think it's obvious that the horse was plotting against her. They'll probably find evidence if they check his phone records. He was obviously pissed by her previous training methods of rollkur and picked this exact televised moment with malice aforethought to dump her on the ground. It's also blatently apparent that a one rein stop and a parelli stick would have had him gentle as a lamb in 1/2 crow hop.

Kelly in NJ
Oct. 16, 2007, 09:07 AM
....Either she purposely picks the extremely hot and out of control horses in the first place,.....

This is the type that I have read several times that she seeks out....They certainly are very flashy, but come with this risk. She likes them very, very forward and HOT.

Glad she is o.k.! I would not have been able to stick that one out as long as she did for sure!

Also, ditto to siegi b.; I bet the farm that the majority of the Dobbins and Poopsies out there who are well-bonded with their owners and calm lap-horses would FREAK OUT with that crowd and noise.

~Freedom~
Oct. 16, 2007, 09:12 AM
Hi !

Choose the laag not hoog under kwalileit (lower right corner)...

I agree that she was lost once she got ahead of his shoulder ... who hasn't been there though ...?

Yours in sport,

Lynn

After waiting an hour I gave up. I have windows media but those European videos just hate my computer.

AllWeatherGal
Oct. 16, 2007, 09:15 AM
And I suspect motherhood does make a difference also. I know a very gutsy, confident and competent aa rider who couldn't understand fearful riders at all-- and as soon as she became a mother all the sudden had riding related fear she had never known before.

I remember Lucinda Green saying that at a clinic 15 or so years ago. She thought she'd always be fearless cross-country since she practically grew up over fences. Having a baby, she said, changed everything for her since someone else absolutely depended on her.

Rusty Stirrup
Oct. 16, 2007, 09:15 AM
I spent several years with saddlebreds and runners (do you know how close the crowd is in the winners circle?) and never had them freak out like this. And many years with castoffs that did freak out like this. What I am saying is these horses seemed to be trained for the six or seven minutes they are to spend in the arena. Dressage is supposed to be about training isn't it? And again, I will shut up now.

JSwan
Oct. 16, 2007, 09:16 AM
Maybe it's time for Anky to hook up with Pat and Linda Parelli - so she can learn to really communicate with her horses via the carrot stick. She and Linda could do a pas de deux at one of WAZ's clinics.

I think her horses would be much improved if she hired an animal communicator, rode bitless, shoeless and bareback, put her horses on the EPSM diet, treated for ulcers, tested for navicular, lost some weight, etc.

Or - she could just take up bronc riding. She can sit it out better than a lot of guys I've seen.

dutchmike
Oct. 16, 2007, 09:22 AM
Hey, I for one have been giving Anky the benefit of the doubt, but this is getting dangerous. The code of conduct basically says not to put your horses in these kind of situations.

WTF?. Maybe she should Ace the horse as it is common in the US to do so. It is a shame those horses never read the code of conduct

cuonxc
Oct. 16, 2007, 09:39 AM
J Swan -you're my hero! :)

appychik
Oct. 16, 2007, 09:41 AM
I won't comment much on the other replies previously posted, but man, she really stuck it out with those bucks. I've never seen a dressage horse buck like that. Now, my young guy who's still not started under saddle can do a pretty good impression, but wow, Nelson make that look so easy.

I don't agree with Anky's methods, but I'm glad that she's safe and nothing was seriously injured (to her or the horse). I hope both of them have not lasting effects (either physically or mentally) from this. I'm not a mother - but I can understand her lack/lost of confidence. I've lost mine, hence part of the reason why I no longer jump.

Kelly in NJ
Oct. 16, 2007, 09:55 AM
What about Saddlebred and Walker shows, where they have the noisest crowds I've ever experienced? People scream, clap, whistle, stomp the bleachers, wave flags. The hotter the crowd, the showier the horse.

A lot of these horses are trained on a regular basis with flags, plasic bags on the end of whips, fog horns, fire crackers, etc.....whereas most dressage horses are not. I know the industry is trying to "get away" from cruelty and etc., but I'm sure those methods still go on. (Yes, I know there are flat-shod and cruelty-free shows increasing in popularity and don't want to say that every TWH or Saddlebred person does this, at all). Also, I wonder if a heavy-shod horse (maybe with nails poking him in his feet under his shoe-pads) would even be able to move himself normally enough to buck or leap around anyway.

You are right, dressage does improve the connection between horse and rider. But, I don't think that currently the goal of competitive dressage is to make/train the most quiet horse. I think that is the goal of western pleasure....but not competitive dressage these days. Now, that could be a whole 200 page thread in itself! :eek::winkgrin::eek:

There are some horses, IMHO and experience, that will always listen to and follow their rider. Many non-professionals/AAs seek out and own and work with these horses. Many professionals who are sick of the shenanigans also pick these horses. Which is a great and smart choice. They are worth their weight in gold!

Also, IME, there are also some horses that can go to "that place" in their brains where when they get past a certain "excitement" point, they really just loose it. Stand back, Charlie, because something just snaps. (Some top riders have stand-in horses for prize-givings for that reason, or accept their ribbons and excuse themselves from honor rounds, or even have a handler to assist them during the ribbon ceremony.) These horses, when very athletic and flashy, go to professionals like Anky who stand a chance at managing them. Those that aren't talented, or are a "stock" breed, well, go to your local auction, I'm sure there are a few there right now.

DieBlaueReiterin
Oct. 16, 2007, 09:57 AM
can someone post or pm me the link to the video? thanks!

MassageLady
Oct. 16, 2007, 10:02 AM
And this is just the reason I start mine out on trails.:yes: Get them bombproof, then they don't care about the 'little arena'. Once at a show, I saw a huge storm coming, black clouds, etc. I said 'come on storm!', because I knew my horse wouldn't care! She lived in it, she had a run in barn, on 30 acres to run on. Let horses be horses, they will learn how to deal with things. I am glad she didn't get hurt, but maybe this will open peoples eyes to other things that need to be done with their own horses...turn out, trails, FUN.:lol:

Ilex
Oct. 16, 2007, 10:04 AM

I was thinking that myself!

As for Ankys confidence......who would not be a little bit on edge. I'm sure that they Sjef will get her to a sport psy asap and it will be fine. You have to remember that she had a bad fall which resulted in a break bad enough that it needed surgery and if I remember an interview is still said to bother her when she has to stand for a long time.

That horse was getting some serious air time. I mean really getting up there.

I had a horse do that to me two years ago down the diagonal I went flying about 3/4 of the way through. He stepped on my back and 1" from my spine.....I had a horse shoe bruise there for 3 weeks. And that sucker bucked the whole way back to the barn. I was riding w/3 of my friends and that said it was a sight to see. I went back to the barn...got back on brought him back to the dressage ring....rode him around on a loose rein for about 10 minutes w/another horse. Brought him back to the barn. And was not able to ride for two weeks because of the bruising. And trust me...I WAS A SERIOUS MESS in the HEAD when I started riding again. It took another bucking fit and take off a couple of months later that I was able to stick w/and stop to get my confidence back.

cinder88
Oct. 16, 2007, 10:06 AM
Where does it say anywhere that this was HER horse?

If it was a clinic, perhaps she got on a students horse to help them out and this was completely out of the blue? Maybe the horse had a burr in his saddlepad? Maybe this horse has NEVER bucked before in its life? Maybe it resented the fact that a rider got on her had a clue, and thought he'd try to get rid of them?

Who knows?

Geez...Jump to conclusions, much?

Cinder

Ilex
Oct. 16, 2007, 10:13 AM
According to HER website it was Nelson.

akor
Oct. 16, 2007, 10:18 AM
It's bad enough to fall off in front of a local schooling show crowd. Can't imagine what it's like to do it knowing the world will judge every move!

I do feel for her, she isn't 20 anymore and falling off does get harder the older you get, I don't care how good or fit you are.

While I realize I'll get put in the "oh, so you think you are better than Anky crowd" here (which I do not, I am just not a fan), it may be time for her to embrace some less than graceful attempts to stop a horse. I am sure she is aware of all of them and has used them numerous times in the past, but the ol' one rein stop and other maneouvers have there place, but I think they require some practice or the instinct isn't there. Or, maybe as soon as she feels them start to act out, put a stop to it and not rely on riding skills to get her through, just for a bit.

I said on the other thread that I am sure I'd be off ASAP and launched way in the air and she does have a wonderful seat, but a wonderful seat isn't all you need sometimes. Horses are big, strong animals.

Now, I suspect that that would get all over the internet too, and there's always the fear of them going backwards on you, I am of the opinion that it's better to be launched then landed on.

So perhaps she's making the right choice, after all.

petitefilly
Oct. 16, 2007, 10:23 AM
According to HER website it was Nelson.

OUCH!

What did start the horse off on his spree? I'd call it a bucking spree! He went off like a half corked champagne bottle.

I will agree her confidence might be off due to this fall. It was a mean fall, she did try to stick it out, and it was a valiant effort, but when you have something like this happen you do get edgy about future bouts. Experience shows us the error of our ways, and also plants a new fear in our subconcious. This is real, and not imaginary, and can make riders fearful of future problems.

Haven't you met a former rider who will not ride due to a horrendous fall? I've seen this happen more than once. YMMV It may take her a long time to be alright 100%.

War Admiral
Oct. 16, 2007, 10:29 AM
I can't tell from the video but I posit the following theory: that every time he shook her loose she accidentally jabbed him w/ her spurs. Any horse would pitch a bucking fit if that happened.

Still, kudos to her for staying in the plate for as long as she did. I couldn't have!

claire
Oct. 16, 2007, 10:36 AM
This is the interview with Anky. She explains that she could not warm up Nelson because of the condition of the warm-up ring (very small w/bad footing).
So: young hot horse + no warm up + cool temps = Rock'n Roll :eek:

She hurt her ribs and leg(?) and could not finish riding in the clinic.

Good Luck that she was not seriously hurt and was wearing a helmet! That was some rodeo!!!

http://www.telesport.nl/columnstopsporters/article2300959.ece (http://www.telesport.nl/columnstopsporters/article2300959.ece)
telesport.nl

(rough translation)

"Many rodeoruiters long had not this way continued it... The internet site YouTube had immediately the following morning a violent small film of the fall of my horse Nelson during clinic in groningse Martiniplaza. At seeing was scared I, however. I zat Sunday afternoon of course and then lives you about a moment totally differently. Furthermore both the rural and regional newspapers appeared by it full and I SBS and RTL were rung for comment. Tja, apparently are the larger news if I of a horse fall, then when I win in the same week end an international game in Oslo. But well, that reality cannot I change, therefore that will I not even try. However, I want place a couple marginal comments. Because I find, as it happens, that it is done by the circumstances Nelson shortage. And that goes me to the heart. I explanation it. It was a dreadful moment. I have tried finish the clinic after the fall still, but after tijdje I saw simply that it did not go. My rechterbeen and ribbenkast did too much pain. But what does you then? I descended despairing. There were a couple people in publicly, who saw that it was really wrong and they said that I had stop. I have followed their recommendation. I felt myself that moment natural keirot. But not only to mezelf. Also to Nelson. I found that he was the dupe. It was not correct simply, as it shutted in groningen. Because we have horse people often the inclination wring us in thousand turnings. Everything must be possible and we in fact always cooperate. Certainly to organizers its dressuurruiters generally pleasant people. When I walk towards in groningen in to the clinic saw that there were no possibilities Nelson well separately work, do not want pull out I immediately, but I wondered myself where we were in peace name. I have also indicated that at the organisation. The losrijpiste which were there, were too small and with a dangerous ondergrond. Of my students then its horse decided drive outside on the asphalt separately. But that finds I in fact still much more dangerously. I got of the organizer that to hear I was some that complained. At that moment I would have had follow in fact immediately my feeling and pull out. Because my horses are fijngevoelig. That must also for the level on which they act. I weet exactly what they manage or not. That does not mean I arrogant, which is simply a question of experience. Next time does I that also real. If I come in a situation in which the security of my animals cannot be guaranteed, I let no longer persuade itself by arguments if I would be the only zeurpiet. I have last week finished Tuesday and Saturday clinics still two with Nelson, where he was super-good. Exactly such as I of him accustomed am. But without good warming-up had he now all of a sudden the ring in with thousands of witnesses, who started applaud rockly-hard and scream. Nelson panicked then. I want him place never more in this type situations. The solution? Very simple, I let incorporate next time exactly in my contract which circumstances I expect for giving a good demonstration or clinic. Is that cumbersome for organizers? , But now is I the one can be with painful ribben and a rechterbeen. And that is not correct in my eyes. Still but to be silent concerning my self-confidence. That has got a considerable knauw. Also for that the solution is as a matter of fact simple: I must as soon as possible a lot of paardrijden. Then the good feeling comes automatically, however. Oké, yesterday did not come it of it still even. I am with Yannick Janssen and am klasgenootjes of the peuterschool in the bunch eikeltjes will zoeken. It was delicious. Just as in all rest domweg happy to be."

Eclectic Horseman
Oct. 16, 2007, 10:44 AM
There was a picture of the warm up area on UDBB, and it was not only tiny, but it was very, very deep sand. So much for trying to be a good sport! She should have refused to ride in those circumstances, and damn the critics.

claire
Oct. 16, 2007, 11:28 AM
Looks like Anky was pretty bruised up from her fall Sunday.

From Anky's site: http://www.anky.nl/index.asp?page=nieuws&item=16434&lang=en

"After Anky's fall last Sunday during a clinic at a Dutch event, Anky is not in the saddle yet. Nelson bucked her off in the beginning of the clinic. There was a second enormous applause and Nelson couldn't be warmed up because of the very small warming-up ring. Than he started bucking and Anky lost her balance after 8 buckings.

Anky: 'I hurt my leg and ribs. My leg is better today but my ribs and muscles in that area still hurt. I go to the Finland Horse Show on Thursday to give a clinic. If I compete IPS Krack C, is a little uncertain."

Hailey
Oct. 16, 2007, 11:34 AM
Wow - that was some bucking spree! That horse almost had her into the ring fence. If you hit that, you can do some really serious damage. I can understand if her confidence was shaken a bit. Especially with having a baby to raise now. After reading the explanation about not being able to warm up properly, I think she's one seriously gutsy woman! Bet she put the helmet on knowing that Nelson could explode under those circumstances.

Someone mentioned something about trailriding their horses. Anky does hack them out - she actually had an incident not too long ago with one of them while hacking them, if I recall correctly. So the horses she rides do get out and about, not just in the arena.

She does ride horses that are very hot, so there are going to be times when one of them explodes. Just the nature of the beast. With horses like that, there are just going to be times when they lose it, no matter how good their training.

gr8fulrider
Oct. 16, 2007, 12:01 PM
(1) The anchors are yummy.
(2) Wouldn't it be great if riders and their trainers were household names who made the headlines in the U.S.?
(3) Those were some serious bucks. Kudos to Ms. Van Grunsven for staying on as long as she did.
(4) I am saying this just as an amateur, but every dressage teacher I've had has at some point told me "trust her," meaning the horse. Let go, don't restrain, allow the most freedom, while still staying connected. So to make it expressive and not restrained, you do put yourself in a position where you are trusting the horse-- and sometimes that doesn't work out.
(5) My former dressage trainer, an R judge and GP rider who worked exclusively with old school type people-- Uwe Steiner in particular-- and does not use any kind of "rollkur" method, put me in my place when I came back from Las Vegas complaining that Anky didn't seem like she should have won because her horse was so scary compared to Lingh and Brentina. Basically she said that "quiet" isn't the number one thing, and that Anky rides balls to the wall, which takes talent and guts and results in brilliant tests. Now this is not someone who trains like her or comes from the same tradition. Also someone who rides GP on a horse that used to buck her off frequently and now judges recognized USDF competitions. I'm not saying that this trainer is the final word-- no one is-- but I think it's a really good point.
(5) Schadenfreude ain't pretty, people.

egontoast
Oct. 16, 2007, 12:40 PM
If only Anky had your delusionally incredible skill and judgement!

You seem to be obsessed with this woman. Recently on this board you were crowing over the fact that she got injured. That says more about you than Anky.

Mozart
Oct. 16, 2007, 12:42 PM
now THAT'S more newsworthy than a pro getting bucked off of a horse.

Pony Fixer, good post.

Still, it goes to show how far N. America has to go to get dressage on the radar screen of the general public. I think our nation's top rider would have to murder her mother with an axe to get on the evening news.....

rileyt
Oct. 16, 2007, 12:48 PM
Oof. I'm glad she's not more seriously injured, and I think she did fabulously to stay on as long as she did.

Now, I hope I'm not casting too many aspersions on young Nelson,... but that sure looked like he used the crowd as an excuse to spook... but then decided to stick mummy in the ground.

I give her credit for having the nerve to ride horses like that. I'll ride the hot ones, and I'll ride the spooky ones... but THAT one... made up his mind to put her on the ground, and did it. Horses that are that athletic had better have more saintly dispositions... because no one is going to stick on him if he makes his mind up.

Someone commented that real professionals can't decide not to take the problem horses -- I disagree. Real pros should take and improve any kind of horse, except the ones that are truly dangerous. There is no reason why pros should cherish their life less than other people.

kwpnWB
Oct. 16, 2007, 01:26 PM

Heck yes!!

Sannois
Oct. 16, 2007, 01:26 PM
After waiting an hour I gave up. I have windows media but those European videos just hate my computer.

I usually have such trouble getting some Videos to play. Shock of shocks this one opened right away and played perfectly. :confused:

dutchmike
Oct. 16, 2007, 01:28 PM
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

Sannois
Oct. 16, 2007, 01:31 PM
Is My can't he buck! That boy missed his calling as a Pro circuit bronc!
I would have been off after the third pitch. I swear when he got her off in the corner it looked like he wanted to step on her. He needs his clock cleaned cowboy style. That was no spook that was baaad boy trying to ditch mom! :mad:

NOMIOMI1
Oct. 16, 2007, 01:45 PM
OUCH! Flying toward a fence and crowd must have been scary with a big bad boy sliding up behind you. Hotter horses and a great rider does not always equal perfection guys!

cinder88
Oct. 16, 2007, 02:02 PM
Where does it say anywhere that this was HER horse?

If it was a clinic, perhaps she got on a students horse to help them out and this was completely out of the blue? Maybe the horse had a burr in his saddlepad? Maybe this horse has NEVER bucked before in its life? Maybe it resented the fact that a rider got on her had a clue, and thought he'd try to get rid of them?

Who knows?

Geez...Jump to conclusions, much?

Cinder

I see now that it was her own horse, but that wasn't said before there were three pages of conclusions being jumped to....

FancyFree
Oct. 16, 2007, 02:02 PM
My gosh she stayed on a long time! I hope she has a speedy recovery.

loshad
Oct. 16, 2007, 02:21 PM
My Arab is about 1/2 the size of those WBs Anky rides, and I guarantee you that I don't get on her back until I am 100% sure she is focused and responsive. She's hot and reactive and very fit. She's capable of doing serious damage with no notice. She's a very good girl, very obedient trustworthy, but when you ride a young, hot horse, you are obligated to take the extra steps, for the safety of everyone involved. You have to think about other people you are affecting too. A loose, out of control horse, at any type of event, is a hazard. I don't ever take stupid chances with her because all it takes is one disaster to end my riding or my life.

Seriously, A2, you need to get over yourself. If you wait until you are 100% sure a horse is focused you will never. ever. ride.

My green OTTB gelding is a wonderful animal, but I have yet to see him 100% focused in a show situation. He likes to look at things. Like cars. And people. And dogs. And oh my goodness is that an umbrella? And "Hey lady! Yeah, with the clipboard. You got cookies?" Luckily he isn't sppoky and really enjoys all the attention, but it takes a REAL effort to refocus him. I can't even imagine trying to show a horse who is hot, spooky, strong, young, AND green.

spotted mustang
Oct. 16, 2007, 02:21 PM
I am with Yannick Janssen and am klasgenootjes of the peuterschool in the bunch eikeltjes will zoeken. It was delicious. Just as in all rest domweg happy to be."

I find there's an odd poetry about these babelfish translations. I enjoy them immensely, even though I don't understand too much.

snoopy
Oct. 16, 2007, 02:58 PM
Is My can't he buck! That boy missed his calling as a Pro circuit bronc!
I would have been off after the third pitch. I swear when he got her off in the corner it looked like he wanted to step on her. He needs his clock cleaned cowboy style. That was no spook that was baaad boy trying to ditch mom! :mad:

And it is too bad..because I PERSONALLY think that this is the BEST horse she has ridden....EVER. I really like everything about this horse...but obviously this little episode is something that may need to be addressed.

hitchinmygetalong
Oct. 16, 2007, 03:05 PM
Emphasis mine:

Getting on a hot, untrained horse in a strange place with a roaring crowd with no warmup is not exactly what I would call gutsy.

1. I don't think I would call this horse exactly "untrained".
2. If you don't think getting on a hot horse in front of a crowd without a warm up in strange circumstances calls for guts, I have a few jockeys that would beg to differ.
3. Your posts are bordering the insufferably arrogant. How can you compare what you do with what was shown on that video? There is NO comparison. None.

hitchinmygetalong
Oct. 16, 2007, 03:07 PM
I was seriously bucked off, landed on my head and all I heard was crunch and the world went black. I had no control of arms or legs, couldn't move, couldn't see, couldn't hear. Thankfully it was just spinal compression and severe muscle damage. I didn't ride for 2 years.

So you know darn well that it happens, even to "the best" of them. That is what your posts seem to imply, that you consider yourself one of "the best", as you clearly feel comfortable offering training advice to some of the top riders in the world.

Brady'smom
Oct. 16, 2007, 03:19 PM

Hmph - got wmp 11 and DSL, no luck on that video either on low OR high - however the one video directly above it played with pic and all.

I sense a plot...

egontoast
Oct. 16, 2007, 03:23 PM
Wow. It's amazing how every thread on this board brings out some more braggaduchio hyperbole about that majical 'arrabian' .

If and when you get hurt again, A2, and I sincerely hope you don't, it just might be the karma wagon trying to teach you some humility and sportsmanship. I don't think Anky would be laughing and pointing at anyone who was thrown from a horse for whatever reason. And that's what you were doing in the other thread.

caffeinated
A2, maybe you should write to her and offer your services to re-focus her horses.

Hony
If Anky is one of the top riders in the world, then I would think that her horses and her riding should serve as an example for the rest of us. So what is going wrong that she consistently has these terrible accidents happening to her? I greatly admire many of the top riders in the world, across various disciplines but they don't seem to have the issues that Anky is having lately.

She rides tougher horses than most people out there.

loshad
Oct. 16, 2007, 03:32 PM
Try taking one on some endurance rides where you have tractors, tents, water trucks, vet tent flapping in the breeze, water hoses spraying out of control, 4-wheel drive trucks getting unstuck from the mud, pink/blue/orange flags hanging off every tree you pass, strangers crowding around your horse without your permission, dogs barking and running everywhere, and then take that young/hot/green horse and gallop her in a pack with 10 others.

I have a hottish, youngish, but quite green horse. I take him to shows where he's seen just about every one of those things. And you know what? Didn't care. He is not, however, 100% focused on me. If you think that when you take your mare into that kind of environment she is 100% focused on you, you are sadly delusional.

No matter how good a rider a person is (and Anky is very, very good and picks some very, very hot horses) stuff happens with horses that can be unexpected. I'd rather not warm up at a show than risk my horse in bad footing. Of course, I also wouldn't ride a horse with ringbone until it is swaying with exhaustion and then brag about it on the internet, either, but maybe that's just me.

egontoast
Oct. 16, 2007, 03:34 PM
Phooey. I make sure my horse is focused 100% every single time I ride, before I ride. Always. No exceptions. EVER. Remember I said on the other Anky thread that I was seriously bucked off, landed on my head and all I heard was crunch and the world went black. I had no control of arms or legs, couldn't move, couldn't see, couldn't hear. Thankfully it was just spinal compression and severe muscle damage. I didn't ride for 2 years. Tina, if you're reading - you know that horse. It was Captain, my mother's Hano gelding.

I also had a horse rear and hit me in the forehead with her poll so hard it ruptured my ear drum. I do NOT take horse antics lightly. I have absolutely NO sense of humor with horses fooling around. My Arab is young, hot, and full of P&V so I make darned sure that I know exactly where her brain is before I mount up.

And now your judgement is SO perfect that it will never happen again. You will never be thrown again because your skills are so finely tuned that you will know in advance that you will be launched.Yeah, right.

WOW. The only person in the world who possesses such skill and clairvoyance!

Shit happens and if you don't know that, you must be a beginner.

enjoytheride
Oct. 16, 2007, 03:38 PM
So you're saying the horse is only bucking to display his anger at Rollkur?

I have definetly seen horses buck out of fear. Happens all the time, just depends on the horse.

Your horse stays focused on you exactly 100% of the time? If the horse is looking at anything but straight ahead and has his head anything but down then I disagree. If your mare is looking at everything around her I hardly think she's focued 100%

Freebird!
Oct. 16, 2007, 03:39 PM
And obviously a 1,000 pound, 15 hand Arabian is easier to control than a 17 hand, 1600 pound WB. That's why I especially wish she could figure out what's going wrong and fix it before one of those huge horses does damage that can't be repaired. :( Even a little horse can kill you, but I think the stakes are especially high when you're dealing with such huge animals.

Uh, ya think? You know, I used to gallop and break racehorse for a living. Because the farm owner was a nutcase, she made us trail ide everything once a week - even the racing fit stud colts - through the woods. During that fun filled experiance, I rode horses that were harder to ride then most people have even seen, so, would I hop on one of Anky's horses? HECK no!!! The truth is, that NONE of us can judge HER riding unless WE have ridden one of HER horses. SO...

Who all has hopped on one of Anky's steeds lately? Anyone?

sm
Oct. 16, 2007, 03:43 PM
I used to gallop and break racehorse for a living. Because the farm owner was a nutcase, she made us trail ide everything once a week - even the racing fit stud colts - through the woods.

In a snaffle? What did you do in the open roads/fields with a young runaway, disengage the hindquarters? Or did you never have a runaway...

marta
Oct. 16, 2007, 03:46 PM
that was a looong bucking session.

i have a feeling WA is right and that it was likely the indavertant jabbing with spurs that caused him to continue bucking. i've done that on my mare once but she's not that energetic and her bucks aren't that convincing so i stayed on;)

gr8fulrider
Oct. 16, 2007, 03:49 PM
Uh, ya think? You know, I used to gallop and break racehorse for a living. Because the farm owner was a nutcase, she made us trail ide everything once a week - even the racing fit stud colts - through the woods. During that fun filled experiance, I rode horses that were harder to ride then most people have even seen, so, would I hop on one of Anky's horses? HECK no!!! The truth is, that NONE of us can judge HER riding unless WE have ridden one of HER horses. SO...

Who all has hopped on one of Any's steeds lately? Anyone?

I was just riding Salinero the other day and I realized that it would be a much greater challenge for someone of my skill if he were a stallion. So I got my close friend Sjef to paint my spur rowels with concentrated testosterone, and then I gave him a little poke every stride. Wouldn't you know, I've learned so much on this board that when he got a little pissy about it, I just used my magical disengagement techniques and he was purring like a kitten. Sjef and Anky were so impressed that they invited me to teach them to ride well. Anky asked if she could ride my plain brown wrapper OTTB but I explained that she is much too valuable but that Anky could give her a carrot if she washed her hands first. I am going back tomorrow to back some of their youngsters, but first I need to spend some more time on this board learning the finer points of horsewomanship.

sm
Oct. 16, 2007, 03:56 PM
that was a looong bucking session.... i have a feeling WA is right and that it was likely the indavertant jabbing with spurs that caused him to continue bucking.

Without the long spurs jabbing into his ribs at every stride/buck I wonder if he would have been so fighting mad. I can't blame that horse for continuing to buck. That's life.

zinnniaz
Oct. 16, 2007, 04:05 PM
How can you possibly see spurs in that dinky little video??? I went back to see this spurring and I couldn't see it at all. Where do you see spurring every stride?

sm
Oct. 16, 2007, 04:09 PM
they are there. Also on the huge still photo behind an announcer, you can see the approx length of the spurs.

Of course on other strides I watched her leg roll back, so understandably the stirrups landed into the horse.

marta
Oct. 16, 2007, 04:10 PM
i think we were just hypothesizing. i agree that you cannot really see what was happening. and i wasn't suggesting she was spurring him intentionally. i just know that it when your horse is bucking and you are trying to hold on with your legs it sometimes happens that you end up spurring the horse causing even more bucking.

i'm certainly not criticizing her. it felt like an eternity when i watched it, i can only imagine what it felt like to her...

kaluha2
Oct. 16, 2007, 04:11 PM
Westlaw:

Thanks for the laugh!

One heck of a bucking session and glad she is ok.

Here's my question: Just what is up with Sjef's hair? Good God man, you look like a raggamuffin. Get a decent haircut.

sm
Oct. 16, 2007, 04:17 PM
i think we were just hypothesizing. i agree that you cannot really see what was happening....

for the still shot behind announcer that I mentioned earlier, see the bottom clip, start looking at 01:50 thru 01:53 (the number on left side that continues to change as the clip plays). You can see the spur length there. On the right you'll see the total film clip length is 02:51 .

On the animated video clip at around 01:14 the spurs are on.

http://www.rtl.nl/(vm=/actueel/rtlboulevard/home/)/system/video/html/components/actueel/rtlboulevard/miMedia/2007/week42/ma_ankie.avi_plain.xml

grayarabs
Oct. 16, 2007, 04:28 PM
I cannot get it to work but found another just to see Nelson:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGsbyyjnHRk

from five months ago. Noted the horse when given the chance would "bob/lower" his head to his chest - habit? I have not ridden at that level - but the "free" walk - I don't think that is how it should be?! Is there not supposed to be some stretch and lowering of the head/neck and relaxation? I am not an Anky fan - I do not like her methods - but mostly because I think her horses are so tense and unhappy - giving the impression they would rather be anywhere but where they are. She is oblivious to this?

egontoast
Oct. 16, 2007, 04:34 PM
How do you address a buck, a rear, a suckback -Forward!

Sometimes that involves spurs.

Auventera Two
Oct. 16, 2007, 04:35 PM
Well, I just hope she can figure out what's happening and figure a way to fix it. This is 3 major blowups now in a short period of time, on different horses. I'm really afraid that one day she might not come through it so well. :( It's terrifying to be in that position.

Coreene
Oct. 16, 2007, 04:38 PM
Wow. It's amazing how every thread on this board brings out some more braggaduchio hyperbole about that majical 'arrabian' . Eggy, this is why they make the "ignore" list. Trust me, just add people and it makes BB reading much, much more enjoyable! :yes:

egontoast
Oct. 16, 2007, 04:39 PM
yeah, you are right Coreene and I have that gem on ignore but sadly it doesn't protect me when I'm not logged in.

A2- I'm sure that in your delusional way you could handle it better though, right?

I mean, isn't that the point of all your Anky bashing posts? You are supposedly an endurance rider but you post multiple times on anything to do with this particular rider, don't you?

Happy Feet
Oct. 16, 2007, 04:47 PM
WESTLAW
That was too funny! Thanks for the laugh!!! It was great!

Freebird!
In a snaffle? What did you do in the open roads/fields with a young runaway, disengage the hindquarters? Or did you never have a runaway...

All went in snaffles, though some worked in ring bits.

Why I think it was the Majikal Karrot sticks we used to control them. Kidding, kidding.... Yes, we would have runaways every now and then, especially since our "trail rides" were always at a trot or canter, but we would just circle them, or go up the nearest hill. It was actually pretty fun. Of course, because of my incredible riding ability I was never bucked off. Never ever. No...really. :lol:

zinnniaz
i think we were just hypothesizing. i agree that you cannot really see what was happening. and i wasn't suggesting she was spurring him intentionally. i just know that it when your horse is bucking and you are trying to hold on with your legs it sometimes happens that you end up spurring the horse causing even more bucking.

i'm certainly not criticizing her. it felt like an eternity when i watched it, i can only imagine what it felt like to her...

gotcha-- I've never felt the need to defend Ms Anky before. I just feel bad for her, especially if this affects her confidence. It is such a hard thing to deal with. I find myself reading the threads about her bucking and bolting horses-- and I feel really bad for her.

Freebird!
Oct. 16, 2007, 04:48 PM
Eggy, this is why they make the "ignore" list. Trust me, just add people and it makes BB reading much, much more enjoyable! :yes:

The only problem with using the Ignore option is that it makes reading the Parelli/Anky/Rolkur threads very confusing....and short.

Freebird!
Oct. 16, 2007, 04:51 PM
I was just riding Salinero the other day and I realized that it would be a much greater challenge for someone of my skill if he were a stallion. So I got my close friend Sjef to paint my spur rowels with concentrated testosterone, and then I gave him a little poke every stride. Wouldn't you know, I've learned so much on this board that when he got a little pissy about it, I just used my magical disengagement techniques and he was purring like a kitten. Sjef and Anky were so impressed that they invited me to teach them to ride well. Anky asked if she could ride my plain brown wrapper OTTB but I explained that she is much too valuable but that Anky could give her a carrot if she washed her hands first. I am going back tomorrow to back some of their youngsters, but first I need to spend some more time on this board learning the finer points of horsewomanship.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

egontoast
Oct. 16, 2007, 04:55 PM
:lol::lol:

So, Westlaw,

Will you be teaching ONLY them for the rest of your life?

gr8fulrider
Oct. 16, 2007, 05:00 PM

So, Westlaw,

Will you be teaching ONLY them for the rest of your life?

Well, I'm being coy about returning Robert Dover's voicemails, because you don't want to seem too available, you know? I'm really going to have to get back to Andreas Helgstrand soon because he's hot. Oops-- interior monologue failure. Anyway, there's a waiting list. I'm not saying who's on it, but let's just say some of them have not just one but TWO genuine Arabian sporthorses.

I'm that good.

Freebird!
Oct. 16, 2007, 05:06 PM
I have a Morgan Sportpony Mutt - so, can I puh-leeeze be on the waiting list?? Cause, you know I'm an expert too....In fact, I'm such an expert that I don't need ANY instruction....SO, you can just take my name off! :P

Eventer13
Oct. 16, 2007, 05:10 PM

You know who I could really see saying this? The Parellis.

Coreene
Oct. 16, 2007, 05:12 PM
The only problem with using the Ignore option is that it makes reading the Parelli/Anky/Rolkur threads very confusing....and short.Oh girl, I got used to it in no time. ;)

witherbee
Oct. 16, 2007, 05:13 PM
Wow - I really enjoyed those commentators! Very handsome. Glad Anky had her helmet on, and that did not look fun.

gr8fulrider
Oct. 16, 2007, 05:13 PM
I have a Morgan Sportpony Mutt - so, can I puh-leeeze be on the waiting list?? Cause, you know I'm an expert too....In fact, I'm such an expert that I don't need ANY instruction....SO, you can just take my name off! :P

Too late. I just bumped Andreas Helgstrand (I wrote "bumped Andreas Helgstrand") to give you a lesson after I get back from Anky and Sjef's place. You NEED ME, Freebird! Just accept the facts. Give in to my expert powers :eek::eek::eek:

I happen to have spent several years training MSPMs on the continent of Iceland, in particular in the city of France. There we practiced the art of Morganska Dressagska, originated in the state of Russia. I will help you and this MSPM learn the ancient art of disengaging one's arse from one's elbow, a technique so difficult that few-- even on this board-- have mastered it.

Brady'smom
Oct. 16, 2007, 05:18 PM
Well - it seems my update of Media Player to 11 yesterday made me unable to view this video. Didn't want to do a system restore to get back my MP 10 because I'd installed other stuff/can't be bothered, and MP 10 would not reload.

To fix, I downloaded the satsuki decoder (google it, it is topmost) and told it to render all video files. Results enabled me to immediately watch the vid.

I have been through 5-6 of that sort of consecutive buck due to deer appearing and high spirits - alas, no video of THAT so believe if you will. Stayed onboard by remaining ungracefully splayed crotch-wise above withers and neck, fingers grimly locked into mane. I was 60 lbs lighter then, easier to hold myself on!

It does suck.

Amchara
Oct. 16, 2007, 05:18 PM
Yes, a freewalk includes stretch, but at that level they perform the extended walk. That would be why it didn't look like a free walk.

Freebird!
Oct. 16, 2007, 05:27 PM
You know who I could really see saying this? The Parellis.

No, no, no......They are trying to revolutionise Dressage! Do you really think that they would need spurs? Why they don't even need a bridle!!

It's ALL about Love, Language and Leadership.

mp
Oct. 16, 2007, 05:33 PM
Anyway, there's a waiting list. I'm not saying who's on it, but let's just say some of them have not just one but TWO genuine Arabian sporthorses.

Hey HEY HEY

I have not one, not two, but THREE gen-you-wine Arabian Sportin' horses.

They are young. They are fit. They are hot (but not as hot as those Dutch announcers :D) And they REAR in turnout. You have to know what you're doing to ride these babies. I sh!t you not.

Dump ... I mean *bump* the Morgan Sportin' Horse Mutt thang and take me and my baaaaaad horses. I dare ya.

fiona
Oct. 16, 2007, 05:42 PM
Try taking one on some endurance rides where you have tractors, tents, water trucks, vet tent flapping in the breeze, water hoses spraying out of control, 4-wheel drive trucks getting unstuck from the mud, pink/blue/orange flags hanging off every tree you pass, strangers crowding around your horse without your permission, dogs barking and running everywhere, and then take that young/hot/green horse and gallop her in a pack with 10 others.

Aren't you the poster that rode the horse with ringbone till it's legs flailed?
Skill.

egontoast
Oct. 16, 2007, 06:33 PM
Yeah, I bet they don't tend to buck or rear too much when they are so sore they are flailing around like that.

~Freedom~
Oct. 16, 2007, 08:34 PM
I think her point was that when a horse launches into a bucking fit, unintentional spurring can be inevitable just through trying to hang on. And that of course can lead to more bucking.

At my advanced age :lol:I just don't do the hot young horse at an unfamiliar clinic surroundings anymore.

I just let some young hot blood that doesn't know what will happen get up and I sit in the bleachers munching on popcorn.:yes:

snoopy
Oct. 16, 2007, 08:36 PM
At my advanced age :lol:I just don't do the hot young horse at an unfamiliar clinic surroundings anymore.

I just let some young hot blood that doesn't know what will happen get up and I sit in the bleachers munching on popcorn.:yes:

I will be sitting right there with you if you do not mind:yes:!!!

~Freedom~
Oct. 16, 2007, 08:41 PM
I will be sitting right there with you if you do not mind:yes:!!!

I think it will be a crowded area.:lol:

DMK
Oct. 16, 2007, 09:02 PM
OK, I admit it - I looked at this thread/forum a few days ago and thought, "Anky got bucked off ... that sucks. And it's about as interesting as a GP jumper rider becoming a lawn dart in a jumper ring." Because it happens, ya know? Nobody thinks to much about it as long as everyone gets lucky and has minor bumps and bruises. Oh OK, exceptions are made for the first person at WEF to do the Tidy Bowl Effect at the water jump, but that's a time honored tradition. You can get a standing ovation from the riders if you execute with enough style.

So I check back today and see it is 7 pages long? WTF? On THIS topic? Oh, right, I get it. It's too simple to figure out the when the freak show came to town, isn't it? :rolleyes:

But on an entirely different note, as I was watching the video and listening to the not too shabby newscaster chattering away in Dutch ... and before I knew the horse's name was ... Nelson, I heard something that sounded a lot like this:

Blah blah blah ANKY VON Blah blah blah Blah blah blah TWO AND A HALF NELSON Blah blah blah Blah blah blah Blah blah blah ...

And for the life of me I wondered if Anky HAD pulled off a two and half nelson. I mean I know I have on some more spectacular dismounts, but I always thought I was speshul that way...

jesterjigger
Oct. 16, 2007, 09:05 PM
How do you put people on your ignore list? I had wondered about some of the responses I got when posting a dressage question, but this thread explains it all.

I don't condone her methods, but that was a tough bucking spree to sit out. I watched the video posted of Nelson and he looked lovely. Though to me it didn't look like he was trying to pull his nose to his chest...more that he was doing a snort/stretch combo. My horse does that when walking on a free rein after working on something and we don't do rolkur.

snoopy
Oct. 16, 2007, 09:08 PM
ladies (and some gentlemen) please...this is a SERIOUS discussion!!!!;)

How many references about the hot dutch guy must we endure!!!!:lol:

Oh what the hell, maybe one more!!!!

CUTE!!!!...I hope he will report on my next fall:yes:...or better yet, nurse me back to health!!!

Sithly
Oct. 16, 2007, 09:15 PM
OMG, you guys are cracking me up!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Freebird!
Oct. 16, 2007, 09:19 PM
So I check back today and see it is 7 pages long? WTF? On THIS topic?Oh, right, I get it. It's too simple....

Youuuu got it. :yes:

Carol Ames
Oct. 16, 2007, 09:49 PM
Nasty looking!:eek: Isn't she pregnant?:(

gr8fulrider
Oct. 16, 2007, 09:53 PM
Hey HEY HEY

I have not one, not two, but THREE gen-you-wine Arabian Sportin' horses.

They are young. They are fit. They are hot (but not as hot as those Danish announcers :D) And they REAR in turnout. You have to know what you're doing to ride these babies. I sh!t you not.

Dump ... I mean *bump* the Morgan Sportin' Horse Mutt thang and take me and my baaaaaad horses. I dare ya.

Get back to me when you can breed some gen-you-wine SPOTTED Arabian sportin' horses. Until then, I'm stickin' with the Morgan mutts unless you can deliver me (a) the charming Mr. Helgstrand. No, I'm not obsessed. So why'd you bring it up? Did not. Shut up. Interior monologue malfunction again. Oops; or (b) a trust fund so that I may buy all of the Genuine Jockey Club Sport Horses (TM) that I desire and ride 'em all day.

As for your baaaaad horses, I'll use them as demo horses for Anky to learn on.

Carol Ames
Oct. 16, 2007, 09:53 PM
:confused::confused:What was that about a clinic?:confused:

Debbie
Oct. 16, 2007, 09:54 PM
Sorry snoopy, but at LEAST one more reference to the hot Dutch guys is necessary. :cool: I think that's a trend that needs to come to the U.S. Fire all the old geezer anchors and hire some hotties AND cover it whenever a U.S. dressage rider gets bucked off. When I am queen so it shall be!

As for having your horse a 100% in control at all times, methinks you could only be referring to a horse you climb onto outside WalMart and insert your quarters 2 at a time... I prefer the real, furry kind, thanks.

gr8fulrider
Oct. 16, 2007, 09:55 PM
Sorry snoopy, but at LEAST one more reference to the hot Dutch guys is necessary. :cool: I think that's a trend that needs to come to the U.S. Fire all the old geezer anchors and hire some hotties AND cover it whenever a U.S. dressage rider gets bucked off. When I am queen so it shall be!

As for having your horse a 100% in control at all times, methinks you could only be referring to a horse you climb onto outside WalMart and insert your quarters 2 at a time... I prefer the real, furry kind, thanks.

This is America, so we can elect a queen, right? I nominate Debbie. Debbie, go forth and use your royal powers to bring us some commentators. Make sure they cover eventing too. We fall off more!!

snoopy
Oct. 16, 2007, 09:58 PM
Nasty looking!:eek: Isn't she pregnant?:(

What again?!!! Honestly... Sjef needs to practice rollikur on himself:lol:!!!

Freebird!
Oct. 16, 2007, 10:09 PM
Get back to me when you can breed some gen-you-wine SPOTTED Arabian sportin' horses. Until then, I'm stickin' with the Morgan mutts unless you can deliver me (a) the charming Mr. Helgstrand. No, I'm not obsessed. So why'd you bring it up? Did not. Shut up. Interior monologue malfunction again. Oops; or (b) a trust fund so that I may buy all of the Genuine Jockey Club Sport Horses (TM) that I desire and ride 'em all day.

As for your baaaaad horses, I'll use them as demo horses for Anky to learn on.

Hey, well, My Morgan Mutt HAS a few spots on him, a white eye AND striped hooves.....does that make him a Morgapoa (TM)???

Lord help me, I am sitting here watching "Tori and Dean" on TV and posting on the Dressage Forum. And I think a pig just flew by my window.

egontoast
Oct. 17, 2007, 06:23 AM
It's too simple to figure out the when the freak show came to town, isn't it? :rolleyes:

Yup, too simple!:lol:

Queen Debbie, Sjef rollkurring himself (because he can), hottie news anchors,

I just can't keep up with this highly informative thread!

JRG
Oct. 17, 2007, 06:28 AM
There seems to be two ways to get a thread rolling,

1) Drama

2)Hottie, Hot Hot News anchors!!!

Christmas is comming, do you think I can convince my husband to put one of them in my stocking? lol

hitchinmygetalong
Oct. 17, 2007, 06:38 AM
I'm still trying to wrap my little ol' brain around the fact that this unfortunate incident was covered on the news.

Someone familiar with The Netherlands (oddly naughty-sounding) please enlighten me. Is dressage THAT huge there? I need to get out of town more. Here, in the self-proclaimed "Horse Capital of the World", the only horse sport ever mentioned in the news is racing, even though a minor horse sporting event known as THE WORLD EQUESTRIAN GAMES is on its way.

Oh, Rolex does get coverage, but it is usually more of a "593,375 people went through the gates at The Rolex Three-Day-Event today. A melee broke out as they all fought over the 17 seats available in the Sheila Johnson Arena. When the dust settled, there were two women and 15 dogs occupying said seats. Video at 11."

As for the video, I can't imagine what it must have looked like from Anky's point of view when she was on the ground, trapped against the wall, with those four feet inches away. I hope she is okay and if she is pregnant (as was mentioned earlier but not verified) that the baby is fine.

On with the train wreck....

p.s. Ditto the prevailing opinion on the newscasters. :winkgrin:

Maria
Oct. 17, 2007, 07:24 AM
I don't think she's pregnant again. She just had a baby sometime this year I believe. A girlchild this time.

Snoopy don't be hoggin all the pretty boys.

snoopy
Oct. 17, 2007, 07:35 AM
I'm still trying to wrap my little ol' brain around the fact that this unfortunate incident was covered on the news.
Someone familiar with The Netherlands (oddly naughty-sounding) please enlighten me. Is dressage THAT huge there? I

Dressage IS that huge in europe...Anky is a MAJOR sporting star. Something like this will make news.
Recently whilst in a local bar snoops and a few others got to talking to a dutch guy (a non-rider)....I asked the bartender to refer to Anky in some regard... when the bartender asked if he knew who she was...his response was..."of course"!!!!
She is the tider woods of the equestrian world.

Gaia
Oct. 17, 2007, 07:45 AM
From what I hear - dressage is HUGE in Holland. In Sweden, another small country - dressage is known - but not huge. But then most of our olympic successes are OLD. AvG has been very succesful. Dutch government use Anky for educating children etc... she is a STAR..AND Sjef has really worked at the advertizing side. I guess he grew up in the bicycle business and saw HUGE potential in the horse business. Both A and S talk a lot about how dressage used to be something boring for a handful of people - and they have made it something for the great masses - that know nothing about dressage.
The tack factory and the horse selling business is probably doing fine too.

That said - I feel sad for a new mother to have this happen to her. I hope that she will not get seriously hurt. God knows it´s scary on the back of a bucking horse. I have had more than my share - and it takes time to get your confidence back.

Still - The hyperflexing thing they do - it´s not making things easy - if the horse is SO HOT!! as they say - then it´s pure madness to bring it into that kind of arena - with people so close - after the horse has been resting for three days!
Think about it! Three days rest - and then GP work - that´s a good recipe for tying up. I really doubt that they are so not knowledgeable in horse management. There must be lots of people being able to walk the horse - and horsewalkers....
Something is not right... end of rant.

Still SAD for Anky. It hurts to fall. I hope that she can say NO to things in the future.

AND - second your proposal re newscasters...

Someone familiar with The Netherlands (oddly naughty-sounding) please enlighten me. Is dressage THAT huge there? I need to get out of town more. Here, in the self-proclaimed "Horse Capital of the World", the only horse sport ever mentioned in the news is racing, even though a minor horse sporting event known as THE WORLD EQUESTRIAN GAMES is on its way.

Oh, Rolex does get coverage, but it is usually more of a "593,375 people went through the gates at The Rolex Three-Day-Event today. A melee broke out as they all fought over the 17 seats available in the Sheila Johnson Arena. When the dust settled, there were two women and 15 dogs occupying said seats. Video at 11."

As for the video, I can't imagine what it must have looked like from Anky's point of view when she was on the ground, trapped against the wall, with those four feet inches away. I hope she is okay and if she is pregnant (as was mentioned earlier but not verified) that the baby is fine.

On with the train wreck....

snoopy
Oct. 17, 2007, 07:45 AM
There seems to be two ways to get a thread rolling,

1) Drama

2)Hottie, Hot Hot News anchors!!!

Christmas is comming, do you think I can convince my husband to put one of them in my stocking? lol

Well darling..."I" can provide you with drama, but as for the hot news anchor, well I have already sent my list to santa and have even bought an extra large stocking to accomodate the cute news man, even practicing my dutch in anticipation;)!!! Stand back ladies...he is mine!:yes:

egontoast
Oct. 17, 2007, 07:50 AM
Someone familiar with The Netherlands (oddly naughty-sounding

You are thinking of The Nether Regions, a somewhat hilly, bush covered area on the out 'skirts' of the The Netherlands, well known for free range cats and one eyed weasels.

AnotherRound
Oct. 17, 2007, 07:54 AM
Sounds like Arabian Sport Horse country to me.

~Freedom~
Oct. 17, 2007, 07:55 AM
You are thinking of The Nether Regions, .

I was but it isn't in the Netherlands.:lol:

egontoast
Oct. 17, 2007, 07:58 AM
If Anky had refused to ride Nelson in the clinic after promising to do so, citing the poor warm up area, she would have been called a prima donna, just as she was bashed by the keyboard experts for riding a police horse in an awards ceremony when she was pregnant. She can't win. If she's prudent , she's a wimp. If she's brave, she's foolhardy.

I think the awards ceremonies are crazy and purely for the audience without consideration for the horses and riders, anyway, but that's another topic.(referring to the police horse incident)

Debbie
Oct. 17, 2007, 08:31 AM
Touch pearls, wave, all hail.

Westlaw thank you for taking time away from training all of Anky's horses and stalking Andreas to nominate me Queen!

Hottie news guys in everyone's stockings! They will cover eventing, too, but event riders don't fall off, they GET THROWN OFF, duh. Of course, that won't happen any more once I declare that everyone must be 100% in control of their horses at ALL times.

I informed my two mares of this new edict last night, they asked that I start putting some of my crack in their in supplement baggies. Cheeky wenches.

Eventer55
Oct. 17, 2007, 08:33 AM
Anyone else thinking the news anchors are much better looking over there?:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I got so involved with the anchors, I forgot to watch the video (I may even have fastforwarded:eek:) That woman can ride!!!! If she's embarrassed about that, she shouldn't be. The horse is now worth more as a pro rodeo horse than a dressage horse.:eek:

snoopy
Oct. 17, 2007, 08:35 AM
Yes my ONLY gripe about the video is that I could not find the rewind button...not to watch the fall, but rather the news casters!!!;):D

mbamissaz
Oct. 17, 2007, 08:50 AM

LOL!!! Yes!! :)

showmom4u
Oct. 17, 2007, 09:00 AM
OMG - I am cracking up reading this thread!

Wetlaw - too funny!

Queen Debbie - rock on!

News Anchors - total eye candy and can we celebrate xmas early?!?! :lol:

equi-librium
Oct. 17, 2007, 10:29 AM
wow.. i cant believe theres so many people who would be so quick to jump all over someone who got dumped.. if ya havent been humbled by eating dirt, ya need to ride a heck of alot more and eat some more dirt! im pretty sure she made it alot farther than the majority of you all would have or think you could have.. ;)

i was actually quite impressed with how she stuck with it...

gr8fulrider
Oct. 17, 2007, 11:11 AM
Touch pearls, wave, all hail.

Westlaw thank you for taking time away from training all of Anky's horses and stalking Andreas to nominate me Queen!

Hottie news guys in everyone's stockings! They will cover eventing, too, but event riders don't fall off, they GET THROWN OFF, duh. Of course, that won't happen any more once I declare that everyone must be 100% in control of their horses at ALL times.

I informed my two mares of this new edict last night, they asked that I start putting some of my crack in their in supplement baggies. Cheeky wenches.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Queen Debbie, it's called "enthusiastic interest," not stalking. Please don't send the royal guards out on me.

Unless, of course, they bear a close resemblance to the newscasters and are riding big gray horses. If so, bring 'em on. I surrender.

Good point. Dressage riders fall, eventers get thrown off, and hunters, the most classy of riders, "part company." What a polite way of describing a face full of mud and a hoofprint on the arse.

snoopy
Oct. 17, 2007, 11:17 AM
[QUOTE=Westlaw;2744495]:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Queen Debbie, it's called "enthusiastic interest," not stalking.

Unless, of course, they bear a close resemblance to the newscasters and are riding big gray horses. If so, bring 'em on. I surrender.
QUOTE]

HA!!! LOVE that term..and one I will use with your permission...no lawsuits please.

As for surrender...well I will quite happily "assume the position" for MR. easy on the eyes, hot, eye candy, dutch newscaster. Just makes me want to tie a bucking strap to my pony and head out to the nearest dutch clinic;)

bip
Oct. 17, 2007, 11:34 AM
A) I want to live somewhere where dressage makes the news
B) I want it to be rare enough for me to fall off that is makes the news when I do (instead of when I don't...)
C) Holy God, that horse is powerful and he was not going to stop until she was off.

fiona
Oct. 17, 2007, 12:23 PM
Anky is round my house all the darn time, frankly i do call it stalking, anyhooo the real scoop here is she threw herself to the floor in a ( sad ) attempt to get the attention of a certain news media personality!!!
She also mumbled something about getting training from some woman via the internet and learning how to disengage a one rein strop!
Oh, she says she's not mumbling it's Dutch!! Well i never, who'd have thought it -there's me befriending her on account of her appaling sense of colour and the speech impediment.

Coreene
Oct. 17, 2007, 01:30 PM
Girls. It's not just the Dutch newsreaders. It's a land of tall blonde hot men. :cool: The Netherlands is also the world's tallest nation.

gr8fulrider
Oct. 17, 2007, 01:50 PM
Girls. It's not just the Dutch newsreaders. It's a land of tall blonde hot men. :cool: The Netherlands is also the world's tallest nation.

Wouldn't that be Nepal?
:winkgrin:

fourhorses
Oct. 17, 2007, 02:02 PM
Nope, Nepal is the HIGHEST nation -- take whatever you want from that info.

All I can think of with this is -- who really cares? As long as she's not hurt, then why the big to do? People fall off of horses, period; as long as the rider is ok then I don't see this as something proper to be paying attention to.

I suppose this has something to do with her RK notoriety and her success in the show ring perchance? I don't ever remember such a big to do if Klimke, Otto-Crepin, Balkenhol, etc. got pitched -- which I'm sure at some point they did, as nobody gets out of paying the piper with a dirt sandwich.

Wonder if a certain clinician will bring up this latest string of incidents from "the new dark side"?

rileyt
Oct. 17, 2007, 02:03 PM
Nahhh Westlaw, Nepalis are "high". The Dutch are tall.

Or wait, I always thought the Dutch were high... :0

Spectrum
Oct. 17, 2007, 02:11 PM
[QUOTE=equi-librium;2744394]wow.. i cant believe theres so many people who would be so quick to jump all over someone who got dumped.. QUOTE]

If you ask me, it seems like they're mostly quick to jump all over the newscasters!

HAHAHA!

Spectrum.

ps. I would like to join all of you in your enthusiasm, but I am among the unwashed ranks of those unable to view the video at work. And (*gasp*) I FORGOT to watch it at home last night!

gr8fulrider
Oct. 17, 2007, 02:43 PM
Nahhh Westlaw, Nepalis are "high". The Dutch are tall.

Or wait, I always thought the Dutch were high... :0

It's legal to be high in the Netherlands, but is it legal to be Dutch in Nepal? Damn, I should have specialized in international law.

Candle
Oct. 17, 2007, 03:44 PM
Gee, I was all :eek::eek::eek: at the sight of dressage on TV, with actual newscasters, video, an interview, WOW!!! That was some NASTY bucking, and he kept it up for awhile after he launched her. I'm impressed with her sticking it out that long. That's all I'm going to say. Those newscasters though, :D

sm
Oct. 17, 2007, 05:21 PM
I don't ever remember such a big to do if Klimke, Otto-Crepin, Balkenhol, etc. got pitched -- which I'm sure at some point they did...

Not at a clinic or at any awards ceremony representing their country. That's why you don't remember anything.

I'm sure if anyone ever wants to publish her unauthurized bio a couple years from now: the photos and videos exist. Not so with the riders you mentioned.

Sannois
Oct. 17, 2007, 06:29 PM
that is the Dutch Version of ESPN? We dont have anyone that looks like those guys! Yummmmmy~;):winkgrin:

trailhorse1
Oct. 17, 2007, 06:58 PM
Anky is a horrible rider, but I do hope she is ok. Watched her ride in 2004 olympic games and she has horrble communication with the horse, her seat is attroshish and the worst hands I have ever seen. But I do hope she is ok.

MistyBlue
Oct. 17, 2007, 07:26 PM
Anky is a horrible rider, but I do hope she is ok. Watched her ride in 2004 olympic games and she has horrble communication with the horse, her seat is attroshish and the worst hands I have ever seen. But I do hope she is ok.

I'm guessing (hoping) this was typed tongue in cheek? :winkgrin:
Apparently all the judges she's ridden for in order to win and qualify for the Olympics felt she wasn't....errrmmm....attroshish.

Ghazzu
Oct. 17, 2007, 10:03 PM
Yeah, you better make damned sure that horse is focused on you or that's a recipe for disaster. My Arrabian is 4 1/2, hot, green, and she's done exemplary at endurance rides. .

I thought a horse had to be 60 months old to enter an endurance ride.

~Freedom~
Oct. 17, 2007, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by Auventera Two http://chronicleforums.com/Forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?p=2742975#post2742975)
Yeah, you better make damned sure that horse is focused on you or that's a recipe for disaster. My Arrabian is 4 1/2, hot, green, and she's done exemplary at endurance rides. .

I thought a horse had to be 60 months old to enter an endurance ride.

Is this the one with ringbone ?

This is too young and with a bone problem like this I would be putting that horse aside for light trail riding only.

Dazednconfused
Oct. 17, 2007, 10:32 PM
I agree with you. Why has she had so many incidents of out of control horses? How many other biggies have had so many incidents? Horses are a product of their rider. Either she purposely picks the extremely hot and out of control horses in the first place, or they don't respond well to her training methods and have decided to rid themselves of the rider. Horses buck and bolt and spook and get out of control for a reason.

As I said before, I'm sincerely glad she wasn't hurt, and I wish her all the best. She's a mother and I hope for her children's sake especially that she isn't seriously injured.
Yes. And the reason is, horses are very unpredictable. :lol: Not so nefarious as you're attempting to insinuate.

DieBlaueReiterin
Oct. 17, 2007, 11:03 PM
yikes, just found the video.:eek: i'm not an anky fan but DAMN. i would've fallen off at the first big round broncing buck...she sat thru about 10! wow. i hope she's ok and heals quickly...

creseida
Oct. 18, 2007, 01:22 AM
Try taking one on some endurance rides where you have tractors, tents, water trucks, vet tent flapping in the breeze, water hoses spraying out of control, 4-wheel drive trucks getting unstuck from the mud, pink/blue/orange flags hanging off every tree you pass, strangers crowding around your horse without your permission, dogs barking and running everywhere, and then take that young/hot/green horse and gallop her in a pack with 10 others

Sounds like a typical county fair. Kids ride their ponies in them all the time. Your point?

fiona
Oct. 18, 2007, 03:05 AM
My Arrabian is 4 1/2, hot, green, and she's done exemplary at endurance rides. .

Last time i looked Anky wasn't going hacking on a pony!

JSwan
Oct. 18, 2007, 05:25 AM
I went to Iceland once. Actually, I just had a layover in the airport.

I have never seen so many gorgeous men in my entire life. They were godlike.

I sat on a bench (bug eyed and slackjawed of course) and stared at everyone.

All those Nordic types look like that. Same thing in Denmark. Netherlands. Been there too - bug eyed and slackjawed.

I think the women were also tall thin, blond and beautiful. I felt like a gnome in comparison.

I'm not a fan of Anky - though I respect her accomplishments, of course. But I must say she gets a thumbs up from me for staying on that horse as long as she did. I have been bucked off horses - and I never ever lasted as long as she did.

I often wonder why this seems to happen, because if you compared these horses to event horses, for example - the event horses are extremely fit and hot, mostly TB and want to go go go. Yet crowds go wild and the horses don't seem to care. I even saw David O'Conner wave the crowd to cheer more for another rider in the ring - so everyone stood up and was screaming.

You just never know how a horse is going to react, I guess. I'm just glad she wasn't injured -she could easily have gotten hung up in a stirrup or worse.

Hocus Focus
Oct. 18, 2007, 06:13 AM
Well that horse didn't score well on rideability now did he? Sorry about Anke, that hurts!!!! I have been bucked sky high on the odd ocassion and can sympathize. Once I got whiplash because I was not wearing a helmet. It was either whiplash or hitting the head so I took the whiplash.

I expect it bruised her pride a bit and thus she stuck with the ole boy as long as humanly possible. Remarkable effort.

Did she make the eight seconds???? Just trying to make light of a most embarassing situation for a highly accomplished rider.

And for the person who was making all the critical remarks on her, if I could ride half that "bad" I would be more than pleased.

Lieslot
Oct. 18, 2007, 09:15 AM
went to Iceland once. Actually, I just had a layover in the airport.

I have never seen so many gorgeous men in my entire life. They were godlike.

I sat on a bench (bug eyed and slackjawed of course) and stared at everyone.

All those Nordic types look like that. Same thing in Denmark. Netherlands. Been there too - bug eyed and slackjawed.

I think the women were also tall thin, blond and beautiful. I felt like a gnome in comparison.
Haha, well I'd better make sure my 6'5 tall dutch husband does NOT read this thread, else he'd feel like he's been put on a piedestal and may wish to join this BB.
Actually when you live in that neck of the woods, swedes score REALLY high. I had my hopes on finding myself a charming swedish bloke, but had to settle for dutch :D.
As for the women, dutch women indeed very many tall, blond and good looking, but again swedish girls rule.

Darling husband came home from an overseas trip a couple of months ago and said to me : "Well, I had an interesting flight, I was sitting next to this swedish girl..........." I cut him off right there I knew enough, I'm pretty sure he indeed had an interesting flight ;).

As for Anky, I like her and think she has accomplished a lot. I hope she regains her confidence soon.

L.

gr8fulrider
Oct. 18, 2007, 09:36 AM
I'm guessing (hoping) this was typed tongue in cheek? :winkgrin:
Apparently all the judges she's ridden for in order to win and qualify for the Olympics felt she wasn't....errrmmm....attroshish.

Isn't it legal to buy attroshish in Amsterdam? Only in certain shoppes, of course.

Anky does indeed suck. I wish that the international panels of judges who have consistently put her at the top of WEG, World Cup, and Olympics for the past decade would wise up. The thing is, it's all soooo political. And I've been weighing in with the judges for all of that time because, you know, she's my student.

Mostly I do it because I feel really bad about Sjef's hair. Terrible accident with an edge trimmer, but that is a story for another day.

STF
Oct. 18, 2007, 09:40 AM
I had two babies, almost at the same time Anky had hers.
Before the first baby, I was solid as a rock. I could ride any buck, antic or crap they pulled. Now, I far from where I was before in balance, strength and overall.
Having a baby changes you and it takes a long time to get back. Im sure Anky is not even as close to solid and strong as she was before the baby, so dont bash her. Her whole body is still out of wack.

MistyBlue
Oct. 18, 2007, 09:54 AM
Isn't it legal to buy attroshish in Amsterdam? Only in certain shoppes, of course.

I think you're getting that confused with Bodayshish being legal in the red light district over there.
However...I have no idea which laws they're operating under over there right now. Since the continental drift...Spain might have drifted into South America but Amsterdam was just set loose in the ocean...so may be falling under the international waters regulations.
*sigh* That's what has probably been affecting Anky's riding....it's not easy to remain in the saddle when the entire continent your horse is on is moving all over the place. Frankly, I'm surprised you haven't compensated her balance for continental drift during your lessons. Shaaaammmeee Westlaw! :no: :winkgrin:

snoopy
Oct. 18, 2007, 09:55 AM

Anky does indeed suck. I wish that the international panels of judges who have consistently put her at the top of WEG, World Cup, and Olympics for the past decade would wise up. The thing is, it's all soooo political. And I've been weighing in with the judges for all of that time because, you know, she's my student.

Mostly I do it because I feel really bad about Sjef's hair. Terrible accident with an edge trimmer, but that is a story for another day.

Well westlaw...you have done your good day for the day.....you made me laugh out loud to the shock of my rather "focused" work collegues.:D

caffeinated
Oct. 18, 2007, 12:04 PM
A2, you seem to have a lot of trouble understanding that your experience with your arab does not apply to everyone. I have a wonderful young horse that would probably be OK in that situation too.

But, remember, every horse is different :) Your horse is a trailbroke Arab. The horse Anky was riding had been stalled for several days, and was bred and trained for explosive gaits and suspension. High level dressage and jumping horses tend to be very sensitive, very full of themselves, and difficult. That very nature is what makes them such competitors.

Comparing your Arab to that is like me comparing my draft cross to Secretariat.

fiona
Oct. 18, 2007, 12:11 PM
Mostly I do it because I feel really bad about Sjef's hair.

Unfortunately as a young boy he was frequently mistaken for a Gonk and had to be rescued from many a classmates pencil case. But only a few people know that his hair is 100% polyester and could be recycled to make 3,000 tupperware boxes for the poor.

Puts RK into perspective, huh?

Thomas_1
Oct. 18, 2007, 12:41 PM
But 10+ bronco bucks with full force, head between the knees, is not normal behavior for a spooked youngster. In fact, I can't even recall the last time I saw such an act out of a horse. It seems obvious that the horse wasn't terrified of his surroundings, but he was being naughty. And so what? Its a horse. The fact you've not seen such common behaviour before merely means that your experience is clearly limited and you may need to get out more in order to establish any credibility in relation to profering opinion based on something that has absolutely no relevence to anything you've ever, by your own admission, experienced.

The fact that a young horse flipped out is a total piece of non-news. It happens. And anyone that has had a modicum of experience with horses knows that it happens. The fact that its happens with an international rider in a very public arena means it becomes news worthy

And of course people with half a brain prepares their young horses and hope to heck it goes well on the day, but sometimes stuff happens and the rider gets embarrassed and dumped off.

Your experience tootling about on long trails or is it endurance with your young horse is irrelevent to the conversation. The fact that you claim to compete both a youngster and a horse with ringbone in endurance however merely demonstrates that in the horse world it takes all sorts and at some point if you get out and about you'll come up with anything and everything and including stuff that shocks, appalls, surprises, amuses and entertains.

And how comes you're competing a horse less than 5? I thought that 5 was the rules?? The minimum age for any horse to take part in a Competitive Ride (CR) is 5 years. Or have the American Endurance Associations now seen fit to lower the age and hang the risk to youngsters? :confused: IMO a retrograde step if so and a good way to end up with another with ringbone.

egontoast
Oct. 18, 2007, 12:43 PM
Since Anky did not raise this horse from a pup, no one here(?) knows his history. That bucking incident may ? could? suggest he has learned at some point that he can get anyone off if he tries hard enough. People would rather assume that the rider must have caused it though, because that fits with their own view of the world. It's not so unusual for someone to get bucked off a horse but with most people it's not International News!:cool:

Coreene
Oct. 18, 2007, 12:55 PM
her seat is attroshishDude, that is SO right up there with "attackive" and "aghasted" as great new COTH words. :lol:

mp
Oct. 18, 2007, 01:23 PM
Auventera Two
Try taking one on some endurance rides where you have tractors, tents, water trucks, vet tent flapping in the breeze, water hoses spraying out of control, 4-wheel drive trucks getting unstuck from the mud, pink/blue/orange flags hanging off every tree you pass, strangers crowding around your horse without your permission, dogs barking and running everywhere, and then take that young/hot/green horse and gallop her in a pack with 10 others

creseida
Sounds like a typical county fair. Kids ride their ponies in them all the time. Your point?

Beats the hell out of me what her point is.

Not much different than the warm up at an Arabian show. Only everyone's going a different direction and the flags are hanging off the costume horses as they gallop directly AT you and your horse. Wheeeee!!!! Now we're having fun. ;)

Coreene, and the noun would be atroshitty. :lol:

MistyBlue
Oct. 18, 2007, 01:23 PM
Agreed Coreene...that one should go into the COTH Abridged Dikshunairy. :yes:

So the goal of dressage now is to train for "explosive gaits?" Wow. I never knew that.

They're not bred for explosive gaits...they're bred for expressive gaits. The ones at top levels though often are the ones who's gaits passed expressive and into explosive...many times due to the individual's personality at expressing those gaits breeding gave them. Many top competitors in dressage and jumping honestly do have very "up" personalities and are known to be the more difficult horses to handle and ride. It's not often you'll see an Olympic level horse dead-heading around the showgrounds. They're judged on sparkle...sparkle sometimes bursts into flames...especially when the sparkle is housed into a large and inherently spooky prey animal. :yes: Jumpers can be the same...watch a bunch of top level jumping GP's on TV sometime and watch how these animals will buck, pop rears, etc on their way into the arena...on the way out of the arena and between obstacles if given half the chance.
A dead-broke and completely bomb-proof horse at top levels is a rare animal indeed. Heck...look at most top human athletes...arrested often enough. Even top ballerinas are divas impossible to work with. :winkgrin:

loshad
Oct. 18, 2007, 01:24 PM
So once I rode this horse that was just like Anky's cause it was brown and she has ridden brown horses. The only difference was that mine was 27 and a Shetland pony and was a little, you know, dead. Like not alive dead. But otherwise it was EXACTLY the same. One day when I was riding it, it bucked like twenty times, or maybe it was two, but I stayed on so I don't understand why Anky couldn't have. She must not be such a speshul rider after all. I must be better than she is. They must buy off the judges, or maybe they are afraid of Sjef's hair, that's the only reason I can think of for her to do so well in all those competitions. I mean after all, if I can take my dead Shetland pony to competitions where there are, like, people and dogs and stuff then she should be able to take her hot, fit, nervous young horse to a competition and have him behave exactly like my pony, right?

watch how these animals will buck, pop rears, etc on their way into the arena...on the way out of the arena and between obstacles if given half the chance.

Several years ago at WIHS I remember a horse coming in for the Grand Prix. First round the horse had to be led in and then did a rather impressive bucking display before settling down to jumping (with a buck here and there in the middle). Jump off the horse came into the ring backwards. He looked completely happy and VERY full of himself. Hee.

caffeinated
Oct. 18, 2007, 01:49 PM
heh, loshad, I remember that- was thinking for sure it was going to be a disaster when he had to be backed into the ring, but what a jumper!

Eclectic Horseman
Oct. 18, 2007, 01:58 PM
Agreed Coreene...that one should go into the COTH Abridged Dikshunairy. :yes:

They're not bred for explosive gaits...they're bred for expressive gaits. The ones at top levels though often are the ones who's gaits passed expressive and into explosive...many times due to the individual's personality at expressing those gaits breeding gave them. Many top competitors in dressage and jumping honestly do have very "up" personalities and are known to be the more difficult horses to handle and ride. It's not often you'll see an Olympic level horse dead-heading around the showgrounds. They're judged on sparkle...sparkle sometimes bursts into flames...especially when the sparkle is housed into a large and inherently spooky prey animal. :yes: Jumpers can be the same...watch a bunch of top level jumping GP's on TV sometime and watch how these animals will buck, pop rears, etc on their way into the arena...on the way out of the arena and between obstacles if given half the chance.
A dead-broke and completely bomb-proof horse at top levels is a rare animal indeed. Heck...look at most top human athletes...arrested often enough. Even top ballerinas are divas impossible to work with. :winkgrin:

Explosive gaits.....Expressive gaits... if anybody has had half an eye on the German auctions this month you'd know what they really are....
EXPENSIVE gaits! :eek::lol:

MistyBlue
Oct. 18, 2007, 02:18 PM
Explosive gaits.....Expressive gaits... if anybody has had half an eye on the German auctions this month you'd know what they really are....
EXPENSIVE gaits! :eek::lol:

LMAO! Excellent point Eclectic...I guess it's all in the spelling! :winkgrin:

petitefilly
Oct. 18, 2007, 02:38 PM
LMAO! Excellent point Eclectic...I guess it's all in the spelling! :winkgrin:

Man has this thread taken a fork in the road! :) I also concur that expensive is the road the sellers WANT! Gads, of course they are breeding what sells, if you did not provide what the market wants to buy you would be out of business. Maybe this is the whole reason for the problem dressage finds it self in today. Everyone is dealing with trying to create Flashy-wild-overthetop horses and when you actually ride them you fear for your life. Realize animals with this kind of temperament are extremely hard to contain, ride, and mere mortals need not apply for the job. Only nutcases, and people with brass balls, or women on mood elevators can ride the darned things.

MHO go back to riding what you can handle, or decide that broken leg is gonna happen eventually. Now that is one hell of a way to ride. I do not think I could stay sane trying it daily. YYMV! :) I only ride the sane ones! :)

YankeeLawyer
Oct. 18, 2007, 02:40 PM
I think it's obvious that the horse was plotting against her. They'll probably find evidence if they check his phone records. He was obviously pissed by her previous training methods of rollkur and picked this exact televised moment with malice aforethought to dump her on the ground. It's also blatently apparent that a one rein stop and a parelli stick would have had him gentle as a lamb in 1/2 crow hop.

OMG roflmao

fiona
Oct. 18, 2007, 02:45 PM
Since Anky did not raise this horse from a pup,

She can make horses out of little Puppies????? Is there no end to this woman's talent!!!!

Everyone is dealing with trying to create Flashy-wild-overthetop horses and when you actually ride them you fear for your life.

Actually, some of us just call that living a little.

And i could quote the whole post but: Touche Thomas ...again!

egontoast
Oct. 18, 2007, 02:58 PM
The point? The point is to post to forums relating to disciplines you clearly know nothing about and constantly , repeatedly and boringly post on every thread about your eternal baby horsie (that you ride in a completely different discipline). :no:

See, every bleedin thread reminds you of your little baBY snookims who jumps over turkeys and rides in helicopters and laughs at chainsaws and yourself of course who is a SUPErior trainer and rider the likes which have never been seen before! My my, puts all those fancy dressage riders to shame, don't it?

Nevermind that it has nothing to do with the topic at hand. rollyeyes.

hey, consider the source, employ the IGButton, and carry on!:lol::yes::lol:

mp
Oct. 18, 2007, 03:07 PM
employ the IGButton, and carry on!:lol::yes::lol:

I do. But I keep seeing the quotes and I can't. control. my. self. :p

Ooooh, I just previewed this and see TWO posts that I ... er ... can't see. This is good. :D

gr8fulrider
Oct. 18, 2007, 03:11 PM
Can someone please explain this logic?

(1) it is terribly terribly dangerous not to keep your horses 100% focused on you and everyone should do it and Anky is deficient if she does not;

(2) I am able to do this; and

(3) I have been kicked in the head, run over, taunted, given a wedgie, sneezed upon, telemarketed, bitch-slapped, and set on fire by my ay-rab endurance horses.

How are all of these things possible?

fiona
Oct. 18, 2007, 03:11 PM
this is 3 major accidents happening to Anky VG in a short period of time

No. It's 3 minor - goes with the territory - incidents blown out of all proportion by the media and a bunch of squawking nitwits that ride ponies in the woods and think they can offer advice based on some happy clappy crystal waving tree huggers and their seven circles of hell games.

What will probably happen is that she will continuing competing and winning and people will better orgainise prize givings and demonstration rides at the shows so the horses don't have such a lousy time.

loshad
Oct. 18, 2007, 03:41 PM
Can someone please explain this logic?

(1) it is terribly terribly dangerous not to keep your horses 100% focused on you and everyone should do it and Anky is deficient if she does not;

(2) I am able to do this; and

(3) I have been kicked in the head, run over, taunted, given a wedgie, sneezed upon, telemarketed, bitch-slapped, and set on fire by my ay-rab endurance horses.

How are all of these things possible?

Westlaw, if you were any kind of horsewoman it would all be clear to you. :) <== added to clear up confusion.

For A2's benefit: I don't recall that anyone young horses will all act like hooligans when out and about. I believe what people said was that this sort of behavior is not terribly unexpected, no matter how good/bad/experienced/divinely inspired the rider, when taking a horse that is green to a new location. Sometimes bucking happens. You deal and move on.

gr8fulrider
Oct. 18, 2007, 03:49 PM
Westlaw, if you were any kind of horsewoman it would all be clear to you.

I don't recall that anyone young horses will all act like hooligans when out and about. I believe what people said was that this sort of behavior is not terribly unexpected, no matter how good/bad/experienced/divinely inspired the rider, when taking a horse that is green to a new location. Sometimes bucking happens. You deal and move on.

I'm going to assume that you didn't get my meaning. A2 came down very hard on Ms. Van Grunsven (my student!!) for falling off three times. She stated that it is irresponsible of Ms. VG (as a mother, no less) to ride these crazy horses this way without warmup, and further stated that her own horses would not buck like that, roaring crowd or not.

But on this same thread she has described serious injuries that she's gotten while riding-- and we all have gotten into scrapes, because horses are animals, not machines.

My question was, how can she make the untenable claim that if Ms. VG were sufficiently prepared/skilled/careful in her riding the horse would not buck her off, but make references in the very same threat to being injured in horse-related accidents?

Either horse-related accidents happen to good horsepeople or they don't.

And I am a fine horsewoman, with excellent reading comprehension.

loshad
Oct. 18, 2007, 03:51 PM
Whoops, Westlaw, that was said with tongue firmly in cheek, because I totally agree with you. I guess I should have put the winky face. :)

grayarabs
Oct. 18, 2007, 04:29 PM
What is with the A2 bashing? I enjoy her joie de vivre.
There are two things that just thinking about them give me the willies - and neither of them have I done: ride in an award ceremony indoors with a noisy, electric atmostphere -
and riding the start of an endurance race. Both opportunities for horses to be "way over the top". Just showing in dressage and riding trails there should be trust between horse and rider. Also I think there is a different kind of trust in dressage than when riding your horse out on trails. You most always have a different horse when you ride outside of your home arena. I would hope that horse and rider have some affection for each other - well - someone else said it better - "I want it to be a love affair". I don't think Avg's horses trust or adore her - I think mostly because of how she trains them. In a way I feel sorry for her - but I really feel sorry for the horses she rides. I don't think the love is there and that is part of the problem.

gr8fulrider
Oct. 18, 2007, 04:57 PM
Whoops, Westlaw, that was said with tongue firmly in cheek, because I totally agree with you. I guess I should have put the winky face. :)

Oops!! I'll consider the winky face to be retroactive. And I'll even give you a spot in my next session of the Hair Club for Sjef. :lol::lol::lol:

JSwan
Oct. 18, 2007, 05:04 PM
Haha, well I'd better make sure my 6'5 tall dutch husband does NOT read this thread, else he'd feel like he's been put on a piedestal and may wish to join this BB.

Nah - just post pictures. Lots of pictures. :winkgrin:

chaltagor
Oct. 18, 2007, 05:11 PM
I hope she can figure out why this is happening so she can prevent it and not get hurt. She has children that need a mum.

OMG, a human that has reproduced! What an amazing thing! :eek:

Doesn't anyone here remember Rio, ridden by George Morris? I don't think I ever saw that mare go over a jump, but he kept trying every year at the Grand Prix at Devon. He'd ride her into the ring, she'd freak the fark out, and he'd ride back out. Kinda like the intermission show. :lol:

Sandy M
Oct. 18, 2007, 05:24 PM
OMG, a human that has reproduced! What an amazing thing! :eek:

Doesn't anyone here remember Rio, ridden by George Morris? I don't think I ever saw that mare go over a jump, but he kept trying every year at the Grand Prix at Devon. He'd ride her into the ring, she'd freak the fark out, and he'd ride back out. Kinda like the intermission show. :lol:

He must have worked it out of her. Wasn't it on Rio that he won the big DuMaurier (don't know what they call it now) GP class at Spruce Meadows when he made a brief foray back into actually competing in show-jumping? Back in the mid-'80s, I think?

caffeinated
Oct. 18, 2007, 05:25 PM
Boy, you'r right about that. It's exciting to be in that group crossing the start line (but scary). 30 extremely fit horses in tight quarters, high on the richest grain and hay you can imagine leaving camp in competition with one another.

Shouldn't be scary- after all you have your horse's attention 100% focused on you, right?

sm
Oct. 18, 2007, 05:29 PM
this is 3 major accidents happening to Anky VG in a short period of time

No. It's 3 minor - goes with the territory - incidents blown out of all proportion....

What other olympic medal rider has either been dumped at a clinic --- or in an awards ceremony on their "best" horse? I don't remember any regarding the comment, "goes with the territory."

chaltagor
Oct. 18, 2007, 05:29 PM
He must have worked it out of her. Wasn't it on Rio that he won the big DuMaurier (don't know what they call it now) GP class at Spruce Meadows when he made a brief foray back into actually competing in show-jumping? Back in the mid-'80s, I think?

I don't really know, Sandy. All I remember is we'd see the big gray mare come in with George on top and know we were in for a big show. We'd root her on the whole time. I never saw her go over a jump at Devon that's for sure. I'll bet he wouldn't be getting the same treatment if this BB was around then. :rolleyes:

~Freedom~
Oct. 18, 2007, 05:47 PM
48 months is the minimum age to compete in 25 to 35 mile rides. 60 months is the minimum age to compete at greater than 35 miles. ;)

I would point out as would Thomas that it is always the total sum of preparation in getting the horse ready to do 35 miles and not JUST the 35 miles itself that must be taken into account. I would also assume that the one year difference between these two distances will continue from the 4 year old stage to the 5 year old stage so in essence that horse STARTED at age 3 and continued non stop.

A good endurance rider will give them some time off and not have them flailing their legs in exhaustion from being ridden in an unfit or unhealthy condition....or TOO SOON in age.

snoopy
Oct. 18, 2007, 05:59 PM

We're waiting!!!;)

Sandy M
Oct. 18, 2007, 06:10 PM
I don't really know, Sandy. All I remember is we'd see the big gray mare come in with George on top and know we were in for a big show. We'd root her on the whole time. I never saw her go over a jump at Devon that's for sure. I'll bet he wouldn't be getting the same treatment if this BB was around then. :rolleyes:

Ah, guess not. Must have been a different horse, because I distinctly remember a pic of him on a BAY going over a brick wall jump. Must have been "Rio Grande."

Thomas_1
Oct. 18, 2007, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by Auventera Two
48 months is the minimum age to compete in 25 to 35 mile rides. 60 months is the minimum age to compete at greater than 35 miles.

So how comes the AERC rule book says "Equines must be at least 60 months of age to compete in an endurance ride."

Or presumably this means you're just doing the limited distance stuff which is the equivalent of our "non-competitive rides" and which are sometimes called training. So despite all the claims, you're not doing competitive endurance at all ?? Though I notice that the AERC say "Horses that are young or not in condition and are raced for short distances, can be subject to more metabolic stress than fit endurance ride competitors. Therefore, strict veterinary controls need to be set down by the head veterinarian and ride management if overstress injury or death of horses is to be prevented."

Here its a minimum of 5 for those too. How tragic that there it seems the age is reduced to so young and so that the welfare of the horse is no longer paramount and that wannabes are allowed to take in young horses despite the AERC guidance.

chaltagor
Oct. 18, 2007, 06:34 PM
Ah, guess not. Must have been a different horse, because I distinctly remember a pic of him on a BAY going over a brick wall jump. Must have been "Rio Grande."

She was definitely a gorgeous gray. I'm starting to feel a little slick that no one else remembers the antics. Oh well.

adelmo95
Oct. 18, 2007, 07:39 PM
First off I would like to ask all those who are criticising Anky's training methods how much first hand experience they have with them. Have you actually seen these methods or are you just listening to the rumors circulating the internet and jumping to conclusions?

I am not claiming to be an expert on the methods used however I did have the opportunity to participate in a clinic with her last year. For those claiming that her methods cause tension in the horse, and that the horses hate her training methods and riding style, I can tell you that my horse came out of that clinic happier and more relaxed than prior to the clinic, not that he was ever a tense horse but he liked the methods that she wanted me to use. The focus was also on getting his frame more "up" and raising his pole there was certainly nothing close to rolkur techniques used on any of the horses participating in the clinic. Much of the clinic focused on giving clear aides that the horse could understand, not nagging them...

While at this clinic I also had an opportunity to watch the the horses she brought to Spruce on this occasion being schooled. It was lovely to watch, not once did I see either horse look tense or stressed. I also did not see either horse with their nose cranked to their chest, they either went in a correct dressage frame or were allowed to stretch down and out, and this was in the warm - up ring not infront of a large group of spectators.

One last point for those that have said she should take a different horse into awards presentations etc, there are times when she chooses to do so if she feels the situation requires it. On a different occasion when she came to Spruce Meadows she ended up borrowing my horse for the parades in the international ring as she did not think it was a good idea to take the horse she brought in these.

I honestly am amazed by the number of people that feel the need to bash her, I think that she is great for the sport being such a personable and skillful ambassador for the sport.

Ghazzu
Oct. 18, 2007, 07:55 PM
I would point out as would Thomas that it is always the total sum of preparation in getting the horse ready to do 35 miles and not JUST the 35 miles itself that must be taken into account. I would also assume that the one year difference between these two distances will continue from the 4 year old stage to the 5 year old stage so in essence that horse STARTED at age 3 and continued non stop.

A good endurance rider will give them some time off and not have them flailing their legs in exhaustion from being ridden in an unfit or unhealthy condition....or TOO SOON in age.

I would further point out that limited distance, which a 25-35 miler is, while it is related to endurance, is not an endurance ride.
It has the same relation to endurance as a baby novice horse trials has to a 3 day event.

Hazelnut
Oct. 18, 2007, 08:03 PM
I honestly am amazed by the number of people that feel the need to bash her, I think that she is great for the sport being such a personable and skillful ambassador for the sport.

Good point.

adelmo95
Oct. 18, 2007, 08:06 PM
Thanks

DMK
Oct. 18, 2007, 08:15 PM
chaltagor, I remember her, but she was going around eventually... winning too. But with one wicked and frequent BUCK :D ergo The George obviously cannot ride/train ... :D

egontoast
Oct. 18, 2007, 08:19 PM
I'm starting to feel a little slick

Unhand her, you PERVE!:mad:

Cowgirl
Oct. 18, 2007, 08:21 PM
What other olympic medal rider has either been dumped at a clinic --- or in an awards ceremony on their "best" horse? I don't remember any regarding the comment, "goes with the territory."

Anybody who rides in any awards ceremony has the option of requesting to do the ceremony unmounted--but what do you think people would say if they asked that? Some of them use a different horse for the awards ceremony. Heck, Meredith Michaels Beerbaum got dumped from her horse in the World Cup, just when he zigged and she zagged. You cannot train for every situation.

We suffered 30 to 40 mph winds at our championships this year. That meant that anything not nailed down was flapping and moving in the wind. Some horses handled it, but many many well-trained, professionally ridden horses did not. There were so many spectacular spooks and bolts that the videographer made a trailer for the videos of the most technicolor ones and set it to the music "Ghostbusters". LOL! You will never convince me that these horses were not well trained. These are HORSES. Manure happens. You can't plan for everything.

I am glad that Anky was not seriously hurt. I think it's poor taste to try to draw some kind of conclusion from these incidents where THE PEOPLE DOING IT WERE NOT EVEN THERE and have no personal knowledge regarding her training methods. But to go a step further and compare themselves to Anky....is absolutely unbelieveable. I think I split an abdominal muscle laughing over it.

Candle
Oct. 19, 2007, 03:03 AM

DO NOT post pictures. Please send brother. PM me for proper address. I will be available to pick him up at the airport :D :winkgrin:

fiona
Oct. 19, 2007, 03:47 AM
You may want to rethink that:
In my experience the brothers are short fat coverered in hair wearing dungarees and wooden clogs.
The term "blind date" was invented because you wish you were.

hitchinmygetalong
Oct. 19, 2007, 06:39 AM
30 extremely fit horses in tight quarters, high on the richest grain and hay you can imagine leaving camp in competition with one another.

Are you seriously comparing this situation to that which created the topic of this thread?

Horses in a "herd" are actually safer than a lone horse in a frightening situation. The horses in the herd will gain confidence from each other and will eventually settle, a lone horse thinks only of "run".

You cannot compare your personal experiences with what happened to Anky unless you have sat upon HER horse and ridden it in EXACTLY the same circumstances she found herself in. Your air of superiority is getting tiresome.

Hazelnut
Oct. 19, 2007, 06:49 AM
Alright, Anky Van Grunsven. I believe you have enough "good" advice here to last you a lifetime.;) Ride well, and prosper...

Thomas_1
Oct. 19, 2007, 07:10 AM
Your air of superiority is getting tiresome. Well that is terribly unfair... I never saw even a sniff of any superiority anywhere????

Indeed I was thinking just the opposite :winkgrin:

Now personally speaking I don't like Anky's style of riding and no-one will ever persuade me that rolkur has any place in training a dressage horse.

However having seen the video, it seemed to me that this was merely one of those "whoops, stuff happens, its a horse" things. There's nothing obvious that she did or didn't do and she won't be the first or the last that is on a horse when its being a prat (for whatever reason) AND she comes off when she least expects it and least wants it.

I don't speak German so can't begin to understand the commentary and whilst I don't personally like her riding, I do think it would be a shame if that minor incident led to a loss of confidence and deterred her from riding competitively again.

I appreciate she's had a few "tumbles and spills" recently and in common with all riders she has to have the ability to do a quick reflect and then move on and not make the incident bigger and more exciting than it really was. "Could haves" and "might haves" in these sort of situations are what prevent riders from having the disposition to stay on top.

The fact that she's getting older and is a mum is more likely than less likely to make her dwell on "stuff". Its just a matter of fact that you come to appreciate that riding is intrinsically a risk sport and the more you do and the higher level you do it at, then the riskier it gets and the more likely you're going to be reminded. When you've responsibilities: family, mortgage, business, whatever to consider, it becomes impossible to continue at top level, if you're thinking about that sort of "stuff".

Whether she is or isn't dwelling and making a mountain out of a molehill, we'll never know on here. But what I do know is that whenever you fall off, you have to be able to put it behind you and consider it as a "so what, stuff happens, its horses" and its as plain as the nose on my face who on this thread is and isn't really thoroughly involved and has real experience in the horse world.

Do nothing and risk nothing and you'll be safer.

Want to get to the top and compete and do more and more - rather than turn up having contributed to entry fees - and you're going to be at greater risk.

I believe that this happened at some sort of clinic too. I've always said that folks that do clinics are devoid of nerves and sense and are setting themselves up for a fall - and I do clinics !! But heck the alternative is to remain in your trench and thinking you've a mass of experience as you tootle about on the trail ride or in circles round the arena confines.

Reynard Ridge
Oct. 19, 2007, 08:11 AM
Alright, Anky Van Grunsven. I believe you have enough "good" advice here to last you a lifetime.;) Ride well, and prosper...

:lol::lol::lol:

And now an ode to this thread (tune of "Where Have All the Flowers Gone"):

Where has my poor life gone,
Long time passing,
Long time ago
Wasted on threads like these,
When will I ever learn?
When will I ever learn?

Apparently never. Where's the loser emoticon when you need it? :winkgrin:

This post brought to you by Great Wall of China "Red" Wine.
Vintage: Irrelevant.

Ja Da Dee
Oct. 19, 2007, 08:36 AM
to me it appears that she was anticipating some trouble, thankfully she was wearing a helmet.

Very good stick on her part, what an athletic horse Nelson is!

snoopy
Oct. 19, 2007, 08:52 AM
I think that she is great for the sport being such a personable and skillful ambassador for the sport.

But can one be good for the sport when there is so much negative comment/speculation regarding her training methods...and not just from keyboard trainers but some very high profile riders and trainers who disagree with HOW she achieves (and is rewarded) for these results.

I do not want to debate my opinion of anky, as I do not know her personally. My feelings on her training methods are quite clear from previous posts....but the term "there is no such thing as bad publicity" would not seem to hold true in this case. Can someone be good for the sport when that someone employs training methods that SOME regard as abuse....and is rewarded very publically as a result?

magnolia73
Oct. 19, 2007, 10:20 AM
Christ. Horses BUCK and ACT LIKE FOOLS at times. I was on a dead quiet school horse who decided to bolt and buck in a warm up - took my by suprise and I landed on my ass. If in the course of your riding career you never get on a horse that bucks due to hijinx- you are so lucky.

I'm sure Anky has hit the dirt many times, and will hit it many more- she makes her living pushing hot, powerful athletic horses to their limit. Is this that big of a deal? Good God, if you want to never be at risk of getting dumped, go hang out with parelli and chase your horse with a carrot. I wish I rode as "poorly" as Anky does.

gr8fulrider
Oct. 19, 2007, 10:34 AM
I wish I rode as "poorly" as Anky does.

Ride in one of my clinics, and you will!! Morgan Sport Mutt Ponies preferred, preference given to those with spots or significant feathering. Free edge trimmer for that special man in your life. :D

Sithly
Oct. 19, 2007, 10:50 AM
OMG, I have a Morgan Sport Mutt Pony! He is 25% Morgan, 25% Arabian, 50% Saddlebred, and 100% mutt! With these bloodlines he is sure to have explosive gaits and perform well at the top levels. Please sign me up for your clinic.

P.S. I expect to be able to piaffe and do canter pirouettes by the end of the day.

Eclectic Horseman
Oct. 19, 2007, 11:31 AM
For grayarab and others who say that AVG doesn't "love" her horses or that her training methods are abusive, I save this fine piece of writing from Jimmy Wofford on COTH.

"August 16th, 2004

Greetings from Athens. Picture this. Early morning at
the Olympic training center. Quiet, a few early birds
like me out and about, cool, clear skies with a
promise of heat to come, but very comfortable right
now. I had wandered alone up to the far training area
to see if anything was going on yet. It is a good
thing I did, because I had one of those moments that
those of us who are horse crazy treasure for the rest
of our lives.

I spotted a tall, elegant dressage rider in the far
end of the arena, working in collected trot. It wasn’t
just the element of collection that drew my eye, but
the unity, the harmony, the inner peace that defined
the moment. When she turned towards me, I could see
that it was Anky Van Grunsven. I had heard a great
deal about her horse, Gestion Salinero, but had not
seen it until now. As I watched, she turned up the
long side and went into a passage-piaffe-passage
series of transitions that were as good as I have ever
seen. There is a lightness and elegance in her riding
that defines dressage for me, and Salinero thinks he
is playing with her, not working. She turned back to
the other end of the arena, and did some suppling
work, while I held my breath, and prayed the moment
would continue.

The ring where she was working is at the top of a
hill. Watching her, I was seeing her outlined against
the top of the next mountain range. So when she turned
down the long side of the arena, the early morning
light brought a glow to the surroundings. The footing
is so good in the training areas that the horses’
footfalls are silent. And the angle of sight I had put
the next ridge in the background at the level of her
horses’ feet. She repeated the same
passage-piaffe-passage series again in the far corner,
but this time she transformed it into the most
powerful, correct, floating extended trot I have ever
seen. I had the illusion that she was trotting across
the tops of the mountain in the background, and her
horses’ steps were bounding from peak to peak.

That instant alone would be enough to make my trip
worthwhile, but the moment got even better. Nearing
the corner, she suddenly broke out into a beaming
smile, gave a squeal of delight, dropped both reins,
and slapped her horse on the neck, murmuring to him in
approval and praise. He held his elevated frame for a
few more steps, wagged his head back and forth as if
to say “Damn, we’re good”, smoothly lowered his head
and neck at the trot, and went searching for grass
along the edge of the ring, with Anky continuing to
praise him. They walked by the out gate, and turned
towards home, leaving me with a new definition of
harmony in horsemanship.

I passed David O’Connor and Jane Savoie on my way out.

“Did you see that?” I asked.

“Oh, yeah.” David said.

We smiled at each other, and just shook our heads.
What can you say?

All of us had jobs for the day, so we went ahead, but
we knew had seen something extraordinary."

Candle
Oct. 19, 2007, 11:32 AM
Ride in one of my clinics, and you will!! Morgan Sport Mutt Ponies preferred, preference given to those with spots or significant feathering. Free edge trimmer for that special man in your life. :D

Westlaw, you're killing me :D People want to know why I'm laughing here, and it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!!! :yes:

P.S. Fiona, I'm quite alright without one, trust me, but some eye candy would be nice. Maybe he has a cute cousin? :winkgrin:

BarbB
Oct. 19, 2007, 11:41 AM
amazing....this is still going on over a buck

Hasn't she scratched her butt in public or done something else that warrants an international discussion?

Sheeesh....if I was half trying I could get bucked off 10 times in the time this thread has taken. :D

fiona
Oct. 19, 2007, 12:30 PM
P.S. Fiona, I'm quite alright without one, trust me, but some eye candy would be nice. Maybe he has a cute cousin? :winkgrin:

Oh my giddy aunt! Don't mess with the cousins - they only exist because the mother couldn't run fast enough!

D&L
Oct. 19, 2007, 12:42 PM
:eek: Hope she's fine.

Thomas_1
Oct. 19, 2007, 01:08 PM
For grayarab and others who say that AVG doesn't "love" her horses or that her training methods are abusive, I save this fine piece of writing from Jimmy Wofford on COTH.............

“Did you see that?” I asked.

“Oh, yeah.” David said.

We smiled at each other, and just shook our heads.
What can you say?

All of us had jobs for the day, so we went ahead, but
we knew had seen something extraordinary." Sounds like he has the hots for her ;):yes:

grayarabpony
Oct. 19, 2007, 01:11 PM
I'm glad Anky was able to get Salinero to do piaffe in training in Athens, because he sure didn't do it in the tests.

Eclectic Horseman
Oct. 19, 2007, 01:18 PM
I'm glad Anky was able to get Salinero to do piaffe in training in Athens, because he sure didn't do it in the tests.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: the O judges are BLIND!! :lol::lol::lol:

caffeinated
Oct. 19, 2007, 01:44 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol: the O judges are BLIND!! :lol::lol::lol:

They must be, I mean, look at this- no piaffing here, none at ALL!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f2dR90w_to
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6sKP9fHAd8

(ok, so she has some bobbles, but I would say there's at least some piaffing happening, heh)

Gaia
Oct. 19, 2007, 01:47 PM
http://events.horses.nl/2007/helsinki/results/021-sta.htm

The event will start any minute now.

Says on the homepage that AvG and Sjef did a nice clinic too. So let´s hope that tonight will be without mishaps.

egontoast
Oct. 19, 2007, 01:58 PM
RE dressage related newscasters-So you guys go for the open necked sweaty polyester gold neck chain lounge lizard look?:cool:

snoopy
Oct. 19, 2007, 02:06 PM
Hey if that lifts your skirt...but I prefer the first one....;)

Carol Ames
Oct. 19, 2007, 02:06 PM
It occurs to me that, if the rodeos' bucking horses had some dressage training they would be even better/ more powerful bucklers,:lol: watch her horses' back "bascule" and the extra power in flipping the hind end. :eek: who would like to train the broncs in dressage?:winkgrin:Her horse was not just a horse bucking but one which had developed tne muscles:yes: needed to do an exceptional job of bucking

grayarabpony
Oct. 19, 2007, 02:13 PM
Perhaps you're blind too. ;) That was worse than some bobbles. The horse's rhythm was very irregular and he was moving forward quite a lot.

? Isn't the horse supposed to be in his tracks in the collected trot? Hmm, I believe so.

Eclectic Horseman
Oct. 19, 2007, 02:31 PM
Perhaps you're blind too. ;) That was worse than some bobbles. The horse's rhythm was very irregular and he was moving forward quite a lot.

? Isn't the horse supposed to be in his tracks in the collected trot? Hmm, I believe so.

Okay, that's it. You are officially on my ignore list. I don't waste time on complete and utter idiots. :no:

Please, go educate yourself about dressage in general and the collected trot in particular before wasting any more of our time. :sigh:

fiona
Oct. 19, 2007, 02:56 PM
What on earth is a "bobble"? Is it some kind of technical term?
Odd because i always thought it was a hat.

caffeinated
Oct. 19, 2007, 02:59 PM
I'm sorry, I don't compete in dressage, so technical terms are far beyond me. It would probably be better if I didn't comment at all, LOL

Brady'smom
Oct. 19, 2007, 03:06 PM
Bobble - cross between a bob and a wobble?

Not to be confused with a bauble - an attractive trinket of little value.

Eclectic Horseman
Oct. 19, 2007, 03:10 PM
Bobble is a perfectly proper word according to the dictionary.

bob·ble, noun. Verb, -bled, -bling.
–noun 1.a repeated, jerky movement; bob. 2.a momentary fumbling or juggling of a batted or thrown baseball. 3.an error; mistake. 4.a small ball of fabric usually used decoratively, as in a fringe or other trimming: a sweater with a line of bobbles up the sleeves. –verb (used with object) 5.to juggle or fumble (a batted or thrown baseball) momentarily, usually resulting in an error.

JSwan
Oct. 19, 2007, 03:14 PM
I thought a bobble was a button braid/partially completed button braid.

I've landed on my head too many times and get confused easily.

fiona
Oct. 19, 2007, 03:19 PM
Bobble is a perfectly proper word according to the dictionary.

Yeah but.
Is it in the COTH Diktshunary?

gr8fulrider
Oct. 19, 2007, 04:12 PM

That's 'cuz I didn't warm him up for her. Duh!

I was busy buying Dippity Doo for my buddy Sjef.

Coreene
Oct. 19, 2007, 04:14 PM
Okay, that's it. You are officially on my ignore list. I don't waste time on complete and utter idiots. :no:

Please, go educate yourself about dressage in general and the collected trot in particular before wasting any more of our time. :sigh:Right on, sistah! I just did the same! :lol:

dressagetraks
Oct. 19, 2007, 04:31 PM
Could it be Brussels you're remembering? Big gray mare, lots of "extra" antics. I tried doing a search to get a picture, but the search engines thought I was referring to the city, even with George Morris and horse added.

Rio was a bay gelding. George did have a couple of injuries on Rio (broken leg definitely, maybe the one who broke his neck, too).

From Horsefolk are Still Different, Cookie McClung, p. 203:

Jumpers are allowed to break protocol, wringing their tails, flinging their heads in the air or eating up an in-and-out in half the required strides. The first time I saw veteran trainer/rider George Morris ride the temperamental gray mare Brussels was at the Devon Horse Show (Pa.). I watched her rather spectacular jumping style and later said to him, "She's really something over a fence. Do you suppose she'd hunt?"

"Tell you what," Morris replied with a perfectly straight face, "I'll let you take her out cubbing this fall, and you can send me a telegram from wherever you end up."

Dalfan
Oct. 19, 2007, 04:31 PM
I was busy buying Dippity Doo for my buddy Sjef.

Why does that Sjef pic with the hair remind me of this image;

http://z.about.com/d/crime/1/0/l/7/noltenick.jpg

He needs to get that hair laid down.

grayarabs
Oct. 19, 2007, 04:34 PM
I watched just a bit - enough. Straight on centerline? Immobile at halt? (Did not see horse at the halt - only AvG still in motion - assuming horse was as well). Piaffe:
not what I would expect of an Olympic horse. Wonder what she scored those individual movements. I just don't get it - why judges and others hold her in such high regard.

claire
Oct. 19, 2007, 04:42 PM
dressagetraks, Thank You for unearthing that George Morris story! :D

Cookie McClung. Loved her stories and columns in COTH. :lol:

Has she done another book for COTH?

From Horsefolk are Still Different, Cookie McClung, p. 203:

The first time I saw veteran trainer/rider George Morris ride the temperamental gray mare Brussels was at the Devon Horse Show (Pa.). I watched her rather spectacular jumping style and later said to him, "She's really something over a fence. Do you suppose she'd hunt?"

"Tell you what," Morris replied with a perfectly straight face, "I'll let you take her out cubbing this fall, and you can send me a telegram from wherever you end up."

dressagetraks
Oct. 19, 2007, 04:49 PM
Copyright 1995 by COTH on this one. Is there a collection after this one out there? Another planned? Anybody in power listening? Pretty please?