PDA

View Full Version : Who are your favorite eventing horses

grayarabpony
Oct. 14, 2007, 11:31 PM
of all time and why? The sport has changed a lot in the last 20 years but I'm interested in hearing opinions about horses from any time.

glfprncs
Oct. 15, 2007, 07:08 PM
Ginny (Holgate) Leng's Priceless. He was a beautiful plain bay...but tough as nails (she once described him as Rambo), incredibly athletic (he could jump up in the air like a helicopter to get himself out of trouble), and simply enjoyable to watch. I remember watching the video of the pair when they won the 1986 World Championships in Gawler, Austrailia...they jumped the first fence and he was so pleased to be on XC that he threw a few bucks in after the fence for good measure. His ability to be clever like a cat showed at the water that year...a one stride on land, drop into water, immediately bounce in the water...he added up both on land and at the bounce, making it work perfectly when everyone else was crashing and burning.

snoopy
Oct. 15, 2007, 07:43 PM
I think Ginny will tell you a different story about Gawler....

Priceless or "P" as she called him, would get very angry and buck if he made a mistake before a fence...like hitting it or getting in too close...which he did at the first in Gawler...and he very nearly dumped her off.:eek:

But I would agree he was something else...:D

c_expresso
Oct. 15, 2007, 07:45 PM
Teddy, of course... he is a living legend!

And I also love Windsome Andante.

RunForIt
Oct. 15, 2007, 08:19 PM
Eagle Lion, Over the Limit, Jacob Two Two, Custom Made, Giltedge, Jerry McGerry, and Winsome Adante...:cool:

Lori T
Oct. 15, 2007, 08:45 PM
Custom Made, Winsome Adante and Teddy....and of course, my daughter's mare, Impulsive :)

grayarabpony
Oct. 15, 2007, 09:06 PM
I haven't yet seen Teddy go. One of my all-time favorites is Ready Teddy -- I believe that horse could have literally jumped the moon. I saw him at the second water at the '96 Olympics. Weeeeeee!!!!:cool:

I also always loved to see Out and About, Custom Made, Chief, and Molokai.

VicarageVee
Oct. 15, 2007, 09:13 PM
I have to go with Supreme Rock. I lerve that horse and Pippa so much. That said, who doesn't love Blyth Tait's Ready Teddy!

Also, I have an increasing fondness for Jam.

Isn't the tougher question, though: who do you think will be the next "favorite event horse"? Looking, for example, to the ** / *** level?

My pick for the up'n'comers is High Patriot. A good friend of mine saw him go Advanced at Morven and just raved about him.

Eventer55
Oct. 15, 2007, 09:15 PM
Poltroon, Victor Dakin, and now my own Eloise.:winkgrin:

yellow rose
Oct. 15, 2007, 09:30 PM
LOVE Mike Winter's horse Wonderful Will.

Canadian Olympic Team is stabled at my farm right now to get ready for FHI -- training camps w/ David - I intend to not allow this horse to leave tomorrow ;).

He is TINY -- only about 15 hands, super athletic, smart and he is just a peach! Love him!

He is one to watch.

c_expresso
Oct. 15, 2007, 09:32 PM
I have to go with Supreme Rock. I lerve that horse and Pippa so much. That said, who doesn't love Blyth Tait's Ready Teddy!

Also, I have an increasing fondness for Jam.

Isn't the tougher question, though: who do you think will be the next "favorite event horse"? Looking, for example, to the ** / *** level?

My pick for the up'n'comers is High Patriot. A good friend of mine saw him go Advanced at Morven and just raved about him.

Isn't High Patriot Mara Dean's new ride? My friend is going to Fair Hill to watch so I will tell her to look out for High Patriot who I believe is entered...

VicarageVee
Oct. 15, 2007, 09:36 PM
Isn't High Patriot Mara Dean's new ride? My friend is going to Fair Hill to watch so I will tell her to look out for High Patriot who I believe is entered...

Yup. He used to be out in California--I saw him go at Galway last year when he was with Shannon Lilley. Super cute. Super, super cute. Boy can jump the moon.

LAZ
Oct. 15, 2007, 09:50 PM
Beacon Charm, Dr. Peaches, Poltroon, Priceless, Murphy Himself for the joy of the game.

Nirvana II for grit and boing.

Charisma for a businesslike attitude.

Winsome Adante for being on the job all the time.

Teddy currently for enthusiasm and being against all odds.

little pepper
Oct. 15, 2007, 10:00 PM
Charisma is my favorite eventer of all time. He was so compact and took those huge fences like they were nothing. Years ago, my trainer loaned me a tape of the three day at the Seoul Olympics. I watched Charisma's XC round over and over again.

snoopy
Oct. 15, 2007, 10:21 PM
Poltroon, Victor Dakin, and now my own Eloise.:winkgrin:

dating myself as well:

Red's Door
Silent Partner
Ben Aurther
Furtive
Sumatra
Goodwill

texang73
Oct. 15, 2007, 10:21 PM
Charisma, Murphy Himself, Theodore O'Connor, Jimmy Wofford's Kilkenny (wasn't even born when this horse competed at the Olympics, sorry Jimmy!, but everything I have read/seen about this horse makes me want to have known him)... :cool:

Loved watching Sara and her Tony go 'round at Rolex this past year... He looks like a blast!

hey101
Oct. 15, 2007, 10:50 PM
wasn't Murphy Himself the horse that bounced a 2-stride? :eek::eek:
Would love to see THAT on video!

Jazzy Lady
Oct. 15, 2007, 11:16 PM
3 magic beans. I watched him run at Rolex in 2002 and I loved him from the get go. He's so handy and just really enjoyed his job.

I also loved watching High Scope go. Some horses just make you turn your heads and he did that for me.

AppJumpr08
Oct. 15, 2007, 11:39 PM
High Scope. Hands down. I was lucky enough to trot him every day for a couple months when I was a WS at Chesterland... and he was every bit a gentleman.

I also love Eagle Lion, Jam, and Pajama Game (may he RIP)

shea'smom
Oct. 16, 2007, 01:39 AM
Be Fair, Priceless and NIght Cap, JJ Babu, Murphy Himself, Summersong.

Carol Ames
Oct. 16, 2007, 01:56 AM
Grey Goose
Murphy himself

ghe flying dutchman, one of my"kids":yes::lol:

zebbie18
Oct. 16, 2007, 02:45 AM
Murphy Himself
Priceless
Balius Kerry Blue (1st pony, connemara mare, to go intermediate)

Currently I love to watch Winsome Adante, Jam and Teddy!

ctanner
Oct. 16, 2007, 07:18 AM
Might Tango

BigRuss1996
Oct. 16, 2007, 07:29 AM
Hmm..

First I have to say my own old guy. (now deceased)..... "Newport"

Beacon Charm and Pirate Lion ( they were ours .... and my one horse now Beacon is B.C.'s nephew)

Then:
"Iggy" (Eagle) - though he was a little brat when he was young...
JJ Babu (I had some of my lessons on him when I was about 15) loved him sooo much it was a sad sad day when he died.
King William
Charisma
Might Tango (aka " Duckie")
Dr Peaches
Bluestone
Poltroon
The Pirate (Kerry's nice bay horse with the blue eye)
Murphy Himself (very cool horse...saw him go and visited him at the stables at the 90' WEG....definately one of a kind)
Jaguar
Bounce

Today:
Winsome Adante
Jam
Teddy

God I could go on..... there are so many from the past that were so special...

scubed
Oct. 16, 2007, 07:35 AM
Custom Made
True Blue Girdwood
Charisma

roki143
Oct. 16, 2007, 08:17 AM
Balladeer Ted! yeah, so he may have only made it around Kentucky once, and with a stop... but now I have him in his 'retirement' and he is probably one of the most unique personalities ever! My roommates and I decided he's the character on the "Not Another Teen Movie" with post tramatic stress syndome that thinks bombs are dropping at random times. But he's really freakin cool and I don't think I've every had a better time cantering a horse around a prelim course - I'm sure those jumps look little to him! and he agrees with me that dressage is for the birds.

I do have to say that Molakai is the reason I switched to eventing... even though I was quite young at his retirement ceremony, I remember watching how much fun it still seemed like he was having.

TheOtherHorse
Oct. 16, 2007, 08:25 AM
Teddy! I've always had a soft spot for Upstage too... he reminds me of one of my horses. :)

TBCollector
Oct. 16, 2007, 08:36 AM
Livingstone, because he is the consummate pro and because Hawley is such a fabulous rider and horsewoman. I was lucky enough to watch them train when we lived in CA and it is truly a partnership made in heaven.
Others who fall into this category: Antigua, El Primero, 3 Magic Beans, and Jacob Two Two w/Abby.
There are a couple of upper level horses in CA who seemed to always be in the ribbons with whoever was riding them: Seamus (owned by the McEvoys) and Jet Legs (Shirley Aronson).
Aladdin, Natalie Rooney's Rolex mount, always will hold a special spot in my heart.

mythical84
Oct. 16, 2007, 09:03 AM
LOVE Mike Winter's horse Wonderful Will.

Canadian Olympic Team is stabled at my farm right now to get ready for FHI -- training camps w/ David - I intend to not allow this horse to leave tomorrow ;).

He is TINY -- only about 15 hands, super athletic, smart and he is just a peach! Love him!

He is one to watch.

I saw this pair go at MCTA this spring and was just in awe. The horse seemed to be a bit of a hot-head, but Mike did such a lovely job riding him.

I also just love Sweepea Dean, that poofy forelock is enough to make any girl fall in love. :)

My other favs are Jam and Better I Do It.

piccolittle
Oct. 16, 2007, 09:34 AM
Just generally some horses I love (famous/successful or not):

Meadow Sparrow
Northern Spy (those floppy ears!)
El Primero
Oz
Murphy Himself
Connaught (those awesome knees!)
Ready Teddy
Watch It
Kibah Tic Toc/Sandstone
Custom Made
King William
Shabraak
Imperial Imp
Midnight Dazzler
Master Monarch
Little Tricky
Winsome Adante
Headley Brittania (love the little ones)
Cornsay Grouse (the most honest horse I've ever seen)

zagafi
Oct. 16, 2007, 09:47 AM
Courageous Comet and Theodore O'Connor

gr8fulrider
Oct. 16, 2007, 10:00 AM
From the past:

Grey Goose
Irish Cap
Might Tango
Charisma
Erin Go Bragh
Albany II

Now:

TEDDY!!!!
Rampant Lion
Jam
Headley Brittania (go mares!!!)
Winsome Adante
El Primero
Upstage

LAZ
Oct. 16, 2007, 10:01 AM
OMG Big Russ--you owned Beacon Charm? That was one fo the classiest looking horses ever made, he positively skipped around cross country. I have old pictures of him from Rolex somewhere.

eqsiu
Oct. 16, 2007, 10:06 AM
Stanwick Ghost- How do you make CCI**** cross country look like a hunter round?

VicarageVee
Oct. 16, 2007, 10:20 AM
Stanwick Ghost- How do you make CCI**** cross country look like a hunter round?

That's so true! I second Stanwick Ghost!

InVA
Oct. 16, 2007, 10:24 AM
This weekend I was just driving by a paddock as the sun was going down and witnessed the silhouettes of Biko and Prince Panache as they did the wither scratching thing to each other! How sweet is that!? Two old classics...

they both look amazing

InVA
Oct. 16, 2007, 10:26 AM
oh... I know you mean "famous" event horses but my favorite horse is my own horse Yankie-doodle! And a sweet old guy named Dutchman!

BigRuss1996
Oct. 16, 2007, 10:29 AM
My parents did... he was origionally purchased (from Canada) for my sister as a hunter/jumper but she found boys and they took him to Bruce to sell and he loved him so they kept him and owned him while he rode him. He was a really tough horse. I got to cool him out once in the indoor when I was about 10 and I thought it was so awesome. I have lots of pics of him, he was very special to all of us he had that "something" that others didn't. It is a shame his life was cut short, but we have a grant through USEA in his name for young upper level up and coming riders who need funding. Kristen Bachman has gotten it the last two years. I am excited to see who applied this year.
We managed to get his sire when he was very old and bred a few horses. We had kept one 1/2 sister and she is the Dam of my little ISH that I ride, and Bruce bred a mare to him and had a filly also who is a broodmare in his herd now.

OMG Big Russ--you owned Beacon Charm? That was one fo the classiest looking horses ever made, he positively skipped around cross country. I have old pictures of him from Rolex somewhere.

LAZ
Oct. 16, 2007, 10:33 AM
He was a really tough horse. I got to cool him out once in the indoor when I was about 10 and I thought it was so awesome. I have lots of pics of him, he was very special to all of us he had that "something" that others didn't. It is a shame his life was cut short, but we have a grant through USEA in his name for young upper level up and coming riders who need funding. Kristen Bachman has gotten it the last two years. I am excited to see who applied this year.
We managed to get his sire when he was very old and bred a few horses. We had kept one 1/2 sister and she is the Dam of my little ISH that I ride, and Bruce bred a mare to him and had a filly also who is a broodmare in his herd now.

I remember him galloping through the draft horse field at Rolex after jumping the Jenny Lane crossing on the way back home--the horse was still playing up and trying to buck a little! After all those miles he was still having a grand time...

I'm so glad you were able to keep the bloodlines.

Janet
Oct. 16, 2007, 11:06 AM
Sportscar
but if course I am biased.

curlykarot
Oct. 16, 2007, 11:22 AM
Murphy Himself
Biko
Jam
Prince Panache

Xctrygirl
Oct. 16, 2007, 11:23 AM
OK going back a bit...Many that have been said, some that haven't

Ben Arthur
Charisma
Nos Ecus (that huge blaze!!)

Wilton Fair..."Wilbur"

Take the Rapids
Carpe Diem...such a cool horse to be around

Blyth Tait and Messiah (Talk about a team)

Molokai

Galliard and Denise Rath. AWESOME huge white Trakehner

Mystic High

For the sheer thrill of watching them... Buck and The Wolf. Talk about adrenaline!!

Crusader and David Wielding Davies from Canada...An actual QH (unlike Giltedge and the Atlanta Olympics LOL :D )

Pathfinder and Beale.

Duh Biko and Nash (Thanks InVA for the great mental picture)

Hopper!!! Man was he cool!

More recent ones:

Teddy
Upstage
True Blue Girdwood
Griffindor
Jam
Winsome Adante
Aladdin and Natalie Rooney

Hazmat- Mokhieba's UNITE!!

Carrick and Outback Red

Amethyst

Ok I am just rambling now!!

~Emily

mosmom
Oct. 16, 2007, 11:26 AM
Jam
Teddy
Courageous Comet
Windsome Adante

Bensmom
Oct. 16, 2007, 01:45 PM
UPSTAGE! Duh ;) Love me some Woody :D

and

Rattle & Hum
Giltedge and Custom Made
Walk on the Moon
Bad Boy Billy
Faraday's Hope (I got to jump him once -- awesome!)
Teddy
Sportscar
3 Magic Beans
Mandiba

My own Repeat Offender, with Ralph up. Course I love him just standing the in the paddock at home, but he and Ralph were a joy to watch, even with him bucking in the dressage warmup. The more he bucked, the better the test. :lol:

Libby & Buzz (who wants to know why he hasn't gone back to work yet -- Prelim is calling him!!! <sigh> ha, not with me!!!! :lol: )

bornfreenowexpensive
Oct. 16, 2007, 01:48 PM
Wow lots of cool horses. I think Eagle Lion was the first event horse I really followed. I thought my friends horse Ominous was the coolest horse ever....unfortunately, he died way too young otherwise I know he would have become famous....

Really...there are too many to list.

glfprncs
Oct. 16, 2007, 08:54 PM
I've already posted, but you've reminded me of a lot of favorites from the past. My favorite is still Priceless...I remember when I first began eventing (in the early 80s), and would take my horse on 'hacks.' I'd dress him all up in his XC gear, and pretend that Ginny had decided to just give Priceless to a nice, young, American rider (yours truly) and that I was taking him out for a conditioning hack for our first 3-day. Ahh...to be young.

Other favorites (many that you all have mentioned), include:

The Pirate (Kerry Milliken's 2nd Advanced horse--a bay with a striking face and one blue eye--he was something quite special--she sold him when she was injured trying out for the Olympics on her other horse HMS Dash, but never heard about him again).

Pirate Lion--Bruce's horse that helped him earn a bronze at the World Championships in the early 90s. I really like Eagle Lion too.

Blue Stone--he was gorgeous, though quite quirky. A 'team' horse that Mike Plumb had the ride on during the mid-80s.

Hey Charlie--Molly Bliss' fantastic advanced horse.

Night Cap and Master Craftsman--two other dream horses out of Ginny Leng's stable

Flying Colors--Karen Stives partner at the 86 World Championships--his career wasn't very lengthy, but he was quite a jumper.

Morag--mare ridden by Sarah Cotton in the late 80s/early 90s. She was a XC fool!

J.J. Babu--I was saddened when he was fatally injured at Fair Hill all those years ago. I remember reading an article about him in Practical Horseman after he was 2nd at Badminton with Bruce. He had quite a prop and spin in him...the way Bruce told it, it was quite funny.

Also, Missy Ransehousen had a big horse that she rode through the 2 star level as a young rider. I can't recall his name, but he was quite lovely. I saw her run XC on him at the Young Rider's Champs in the early 90s. I'm thinking he was a "Lion" horse as well...

bornfreenowexpensive
Oct. 16, 2007, 09:17 PM
Also, Missy Ransehousen had a big horse that she rode through the 2 star level as a young rider. I can't recall his name, but he was quite lovely. I saw her run XC on him at the Young Rider's Champs in the early 90s. I'm thinking he was a "Lion" horse as well...

I remember that horse as well...very nice. Was that Pacific Lion? I'm pretty sure she did Fair Hill on him....but I could be wrong. I do remember it being another cool "Lion" horse.

snoopy
Oct. 16, 2007, 09:29 PM
Blue Stone--he was gorgeous, though quite quirky. A 'team' horse that Mike Plumb had the ride on during the mid-80s.

Gorgeous does not do him justice...he was nothing short of breath taking!!! He was so pretty that you just stopped dead in your tracks when you saw him.:yes:

BigRuss1996
Oct. 16, 2007, 09:32 PM
He was very nice and a great jumper.....but actually he is no relation. The "Lion" horses are all bred by the same woman in Ireland and she names them all (something) Lion. That horse did not come from her I do know this for a fact.

I remember that horse as well...very nice. Was that Pacific Lion? I'm pretty sure she did Fair Hill on him....but I could be wrong. I do remember it being another cool "Lion" horse.

NeverTime
Oct. 16, 2007, 09:37 PM
Missy still has Lion. He's an old, gray-haired man now, but he's still comfy cozy in her barn, enjoying retirement and serving as baby-sitter/pasture companion for her current four-star horse, BG (aka "Big Guy" aka Critical Decision).

spirithorse22
Oct. 16, 2007, 09:39 PM
of all time and why? The sport has changed a lot in the last 20 years but I'm interested in hearing opinions about horses from any time.

Haven't quite made 20 years on Earth myself, so my list is a bit limited to the famous horses I can actually remember...lol

Biko
-loved his face, the way he carried himself, the obedience despite his size and strength, his heart
The Grey Goose
-cool, cool, cool period
Eagle Lion
Courageous Comet

mjhco
Oct. 17, 2007, 12:42 PM
Grey Goose
Murphy himself

I never saw The Flying Dutchman personally. I just have heard so many stories and look at his pictures in Grant's office. He was one great horse.

Biko took my heart away.

OhMissLibrarian
Oct. 17, 2007, 01:25 PM
Bally Cor and Murphy Himself.

Bally for all that she accomplished- she (with Tad Coffin) was the first one to win an American individual olympic eventing gold and the only (USA) mare- talk about a trailblazer!

Murphy- as so many have said before me, for his pure athleticism and "love of the game". I can watch videos of him over and over and over and never get tired of how he went and his obvious enthusiasm.

Foxtrot's
Oct. 17, 2007, 02:29 PM
Another walk down memory land - wonderful horses all of them. But my personal fave was Bruse Davidson's Irish Cap because I had a horse just like him in so many ways.... well, and Priceless.

AmericaRunsOnDunkin
Oct. 17, 2007, 08:49 PM
Grey Goose
Murphy himself

Someone else said Grey Goose! I saw him as a kid and was totally in love. :yes::cool:

BigRuss1996
Oct. 17, 2007, 09:17 PM
Aww... Capper doo!..... He was such a sweet heart. Though I only knew him when he was old and retired and partially blind and had the run of the farm. He was the best!!

Another walk down memory land - wonderful horses all of them. But my personal fave was Bruse Davidson's Irish Cap because I had a horse just like him in so many ways.... well, and Priceless.

DustInTime04
Oct. 20, 2007, 12:04 PM
Destination Known and of course my Dust in Time :)

carolprudm
Oct. 20, 2007, 12:11 PM
EGB, of course

CookiePony
Oct. 20, 2007, 01:12 PM
Destination Known and of course my Dust in Time :)

How do you know Burgie/Burger? I'm a fan too as my teacher/friend Hurricane started his career, but I've never met him in person.

Of course, my favorite is my own Langston.

I also adore Pickle Road, the only 3* horse I've ever ridden.

DustInTime04
Oct. 20, 2007, 09:05 PM
How do you know Burgie/Burger? I'm a fan too as my teacher/friend Hurricane started his career, but I've never met him in person.

Of course, my favorite is my own Langston.

I also adore Pickle Road, the only 3* horse I've ever ridden.

I train with Allison Springer and this summer I worked out at her farm. He has done so incredible and I just love his personality. He is really an amazing horse, especially seeing him at DerbyCross :)

scavenger
Oct. 20, 2007, 10:28 PM
Merely A Monarch
Cornishman V
Be Fair
Murphy Himself
Poltroon
Jumpshot
Hazmat ( I bred and started him)
Gracious Brevity (my current Mokhieba)
Crossroads who started it all could probably been a Teddy if I had known more we learned together

annikak
Oct. 30, 2007, 10:05 AM
Hazmat ( I bred and started him)

Now THAT is cool!!!!

eventgroupie2
Oct. 30, 2007, 11:55 AM
Murphy Himself......... watched him bounce the road crossing in Stockholm, Sweden in the World Equestrian Games in 1990! What a horse!!!!

QHEventr
Oct. 30, 2007, 01:53 PM
Night Cap, Priceless, Murphey Himself, Eagle Lion, JJ Babu, Giltege, and of course, By beloved Northlight who is, to me, the most honest, loyal, brave, and true event horse ever.

Johanna

justdream2ride
Oct. 30, 2007, 04:43 PM
Mr. Maxwell - there was just something about the look in his eye!!!!

emf
Oct. 30, 2007, 08:03 PM
Molokai
JJ Babu
Tamarillo
Blue Chip
Flying Dutchman (how'd that big thing get himself airborne anyway?)
Carawich
Poltroon
Supreme Rock--proving you can paddle and still win
Killarney
Poggio II
Goldmill

snoopy
Oct. 30, 2007, 08:09 PM
Flying Dutchman (how'd that big thing get himself airborne anyway?)

He was a gorgeous horse....and if you had the pleasure of seeing him in person, it was nothing short of amazing just how light on his feet he was considering his ample size.

LAZ
Oct. 30, 2007, 09:16 PM
EMF--

I saw Molokai out in his field last Friday--he looks good for an old man!

ica7059
Oct. 30, 2007, 09:34 PM
KILDONAN TUG is definitely my all time favorite although he has passed, (a year on sunday ;'[ ) He was amazing... now I am biased =] because I did have the priveledge to event him in his last year, but truly he was the horse of a life time- absolutely amazing in all three phases and the sweetest horse in the entire world- he always gave his all, especcially at radnor and obviously gave Abigail his all when they were third at Rolex in '04! He was unbelievable!

~gillian