PDA

View Full Version : I met Giant's Causeway!

MeredithTX
Oct. 13, 2007, 10:29 PM
I toured Ashford Stud last week and had the privilege of meeting Giant's Causeway, as well as a few of the other stalions who are not abroad right now. He's a handsome devil, and the people at Ashford were kind enough to bring him out for us to drool over. What a classy operation! I was hoping to see Thunder Gulch too, since he was one of my favorite racehorses, but he is in Australia right now. They did say he is quite a gentleman and so easy to handle. Anyway, it was my first time in Kentucky, and I felt so lucky to tour Ashford in the morning and spend the afternoon at Keenland. It was really cool to see some of the stallions and then watch some of their offspring race all in one day. I came home raving about my trip, so much so that my husband keeps reminding me that we cannot move to Kentucky. ;)

holmes
Oct. 14, 2007, 10:45 AM
You should have asked to seen FuPeg too - fireworks...............

Drvmb1ggl3
Oct. 14, 2007, 10:57 AM
You should have asked to seen FuPeg too - fireworks...............

No harm in asking, but as accommodating as the Ashford crowd may be, I doubt they'd take him out of his stall and ship him around the world.
He's in the Hunter Valley in NSW.

WindyIsles
Oct. 14, 2007, 12:20 PM
So ENVIOUS! Giants Causeway is one of my favorite racehorses of all time. :D

Laurierace
Oct. 14, 2007, 12:23 PM
No harm in asking, but as accommodating as the Ashford crowd may be, I doubt they'd take him out of his stall and ship him around the world.
He's in the Hunter Valley in NSW.

That is what I was thinking too! That is a heck of a request!

Barnfairy
Oct. 14, 2007, 03:53 PM
I wouldn't even begin to guess how to determine the tip for such service.

Meredith, I'm glad you enjoyed your visit. 'Get any pics of the bad boy?

holmes
Oct. 14, 2007, 06:49 PM
I was unaware he is still being shipped south for the winter - wish they would leave him there.

Slewdledo
Oct. 14, 2007, 08:44 PM
Giant's Causeway is one sexy guy.

I believe Makybe Diva went to FuPeg this year.

Drvmb1ggl3
Oct. 14, 2007, 09:01 PM
Giant's Causeway is one sexy guy.

I believe Makybe Diva went to FuPeg this year.

She did, but no as her first choice. She was supposed to go to Encosta de Lago, but he was unavailable because of the EI outbreak.

FuPeg has started to get some nice horses down under, Haradasun and Floral Pegasus being prime examples.

holmes
Oct. 14, 2007, 10:16 PM
Who would breed to such a bastard is beyond me - I am shocked Makybe Diva is being bred to him, is Royal Academy down there? Or Rock of Gibraltar? Those would be my first two chances.

TKR
Oct. 14, 2007, 10:21 PM
Why doesn't Giants Causeway go to Australia? Are FuPeg's produce as bad as he is?
PennyG

mommy peanut
Oct. 14, 2007, 11:18 PM
Where's the drool icon when you need it!! I loff Giant's Causeway!! He's been a fav of mine for a long time.:yes:

summerhorse
Oct. 15, 2007, 12:44 AM
Why doesn't Giants Causeway go to Australia? Are FuPeg's produce as bad as he is?
PennyG

GC is considered too valuable to ship down there now. Actually I think so far he's somewhat mediocre down there from what I've seen posted.

Yes a lot of FuPegs are a chip off the old block head.

Drvmb1ggl3
Oct. 15, 2007, 01:56 AM
Who would breed to such a bastard is beyond me

I'm sure they said the same thing about Nearco and Nasrullah back in the day, two well documented head-the-balls.

- I am shocked Makybe Diva is being bred to him, is Royal Academy down there? Or Rock of Gibraltar? Those would be my first two chances.

Rock of Gibraltar would have been a 2x3 Danehill cross, maybe they thought that was too much too close. It would also have been Northern Dancer 4x4x5x5x5, and with Danehill being a 3x3 to Natalma, that would mean the resultant foal would be 5x5x5x6x6x6x6 Natalma. Way to stock up on the blue hen mare!

ravenclaw
Oct. 15, 2007, 10:28 AM
They did say he is quite a gentleman and so easy to handle.
Who? Giant's Causeway or Thunder Gulch? I'm curious about what GC's temperament is like. He is definitely gorgeous. :yes:

I'm jealous about your visit! Several years ago, I visited Three Chimneys, Gainesway, and Stone Farm. Lately I have been craving going on some tours again. Maybe next summer...

ASB Stars
Oct. 15, 2007, 12:39 PM
I was wondering if anyone had gotten hold of a GC and done the hunters with them- anyone know of any. If I still did TBs, I'd think they would be wonderful- and, let's face it, not ALL of them can run fast, right ? :winkgrin:

Regarding FuPeg- is this a horse that has to be handled by more than one person at a time- or does he just try to damage the one person handling him? Is he tough on his mares, as well?

Gallop On
Oct. 15, 2007, 03:29 PM
I really should go have a look.

Sing Mia Song
Oct. 15, 2007, 03:29 PM
I saw all the Ashford stallions last year, and FuPeg was perfectly well behaved. They said he had mellowed considerably since being at the track. He didn't turn a hair, just stood there and looked regal. He still has incredible presence. He knows he's the real deal.

GC was a lot smaller than I expected, and quite personable. Woodman (rest his soul) was as cantankerous as ever.