PDA

View Full Version : Need Exact Breeders' Cup Broadcast Times

dressagetraks
Oct. 12, 2007, 07:59 PM
I don't get ESPN. Am sending an order to a totally non-horsey but ESPN-getting friend. Friend would not actually watch this, just set the machine to tape it. What are the starting and supposed ending times of the BC broadcast for both days? I'll pad the ending time, of course, in case of running over. Thanks a bunch.

miss_critic
Oct. 12, 2007, 08:12 PM
You can go to ESPN.com to find the times. Just click on horses. Of course you would probably be better off waiting until it gets a little closer.

Glimmerglass
Oct. 15, 2007, 11:50 PM
Oct. 24
Breeders' Cup Selection
5 pm EST
ESPN2

Oct. 26
Breeders' Cup World Championships
4 pm EST - 6 pm EST
ESPN2

All three new races (none however are graded) are for $1M in purse money each

Oct 26 Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile Dirt Mile 1 Mile, 70 Yards
Oct 26 Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Sprint Filly & Mare Sprint 6 Furlongs
Oct 26 Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf Juvenile Turf 1 Mile

Oct. 27
12 pm EST - 7 pm EST
ESPN

Oct 27 Breeders' Cup Classic, Powered by Dodge I Classic 1 1/4 Miles
Oct 27 John Deere Breeders' Cup Turf I Turf 1 1/2 Miles
Oct 27 Emirates Airline Breeders' Cup Distaff I Distaff 1 1/8 Miles
Oct 27 NetJets Breeders' Cup Mile I Mile 1 Mile
Oct 27 TVG Breeders' Cup Sprint I Sprint 6 Furlongs
Oct 27 Emirates Airline Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Turf 1 3/8 Miles
Oct 27 Bessemer Trust Breeders' Cup Juvenile I Juvenile 1 1/6 Miles
Oct 27 Grey Goose Breeders' Cup Juvenile Fillies

www.breederscup.com

Glimmerglass
Oct. 16, 2007, 09:31 PM
Only released early this evening is the actual race order for the 24th Annual Breeders' Cup

Friday's racing card will have 10 races at Monmouth Park, but only the last three are "Breeders' Cup" races:

(All Times are Eastern Standard)

$1-million Breeders’ Cup Filly & Mare Sprint (4:25 p.m.)
$1-million Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Turf (5 p.m.)
$1-million Breeders’ Cup Dirt Mile (5:35 p.m.).

Saturday's racing card:

$2-million Grey Goose Breeders’ Cup Juvenile Fillies (G1) (12:30 p.m.)
$2-million Bessemer Trust Breeders’ Cup Juvenile (G1) (1:10 p.m.)
$2-million Emirates Airline Breeders’ Cup Filly & Mare Turf (G1) (1:55 p.m.)
$2-million TVG Breeders’ Cup Sprint (G1) (2:35 p.m.)
$2-million NetJets Breeders’ Cup Mile (G1) (3:20 p.m.)
$2-million Emirates Airline Breeders Cup Distaff (G1) (4:05 p.m.)
$3-million John Deere Breeders’ Cup Turf (G1) (4:50 p.m.)
$5-million Breeders’ Cup Classic Powered by Dodge (G1) (5:35 p.m.).

Big props to Grey Goose Vodka for stepping up the plate and sponsoring the JV Fillies which have otherwise been without a title sponsor. Although let's just hope folks skip on using vokda on the field in this way! (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16709919/) - $15 a shot in Nebraska? Did the Vet think he was "serving drinks" in NYC? :D

dressagetraks
Oct. 16, 2007, 11:39 PM
Thanks. My non horsey friend has instructions and will hopefully execute them without flaw.

9 hours of BC coverage? Wow. Hope they have some good people doing it.

miss_critic
Oct. 17, 2007, 06:57 AM
What are they going to do for the last hour?

dressagetraks
Oct. 17, 2007, 10:13 AM
Maybe they're allowing some extra on the broadcast in case of delays at some point in the day (like Exogenous or determining the dead heat in the BC Turf). Can be wrap up if needed but makes sure the broadcast won't run over?

miss_critic
Oct. 17, 2007, 12:49 PM
I hope so-normally it seems like they have to wrap it up so quickly.

Beezer
Oct. 17, 2007, 11:26 PM
Well, thank God I checked here, or else I would have been cursing the big three networks for not showing it!!

Actually, fingers crossed here for better coverage on EPSN. They tend to be sooooo much better than the nattering neighbobs of the big 3.

Carol Ames
Oct. 18, 2007, 12:15 AM
Isn't one of the majo networks covering it?

Glimmerglass
Oct. 18, 2007, 12:52 AM
Isn't one of the major networks covering it?

Nope. NBC held it from inception in 1984 until 2005; 2006 marked the shift to ESPN who has the rights for several more years.

Fear not those without cable!

Finally, the Breeders’ Cup announced that for the first time all of its races will be available live on the internet, at Breederscup.com. Breeders’ Cup president Greg Avioli said it is only the second time in United States major sports history that a sports championship event will be available live on the Web.

As an aside ... no US-based horse racing/betting channels have inked a deal yet with the BC folks (spooky isn't it) so for right now no HRTV or TVG will be airing it. Both hope to get agreements in place but there is a rub with California wagering laws that are causing major problems.

Glimmerglass
Oct. 22, 2007, 09:38 AM
Worth pointing out ... on the air:

October 23rd: Breeders Cup Draw (ESPNEWS, 11:30 a.m. ET)

October 24th: Selection Show (ESPN2, 5:00 p.m. ET)

And regarding the racing cable channels they did finally ink a deal last last week to carry the wagering and I assume the signal onto their respective channels, e.g. HRTV and TVG; TVG can be obnoxious enough that I'll stick with ESPN's coverage

miss_critic
Oct. 22, 2007, 02:35 PM
AHA! I set my DVR last night and noticed Saturday's show only goes till 6, not 7 pm like initially stated. bummer.

I might sound retarded, but is ESPNEWS some special extra sports cable channel? I get like 200 channels, but I don't see that channel.

I can't wait to hear the call when SS crosses under the wire first :)

Glimmerglass
Oct. 22, 2007, 03:10 PM
... is ESPNEWS some special extra sports cable channel? I get like 200 channels, but I don't see that channel.

It is and sometimes ESPN effectively shares ESPNews into their broadcasts on the hour but otherwise it is a separate channel. I have it, but its far away on channel 402.

miss_critic
Oct. 22, 2007, 05:11 PM
Ok, so I am not crazy or blind. Bummer for me though. Maybe I can find it online-

Glimmerglass
Oct. 23, 2007, 11:38 AM
The coverage on ESPNews is sadly a pairing of the always well informed and smooth analyst Randy Moss and the anchor guy who wouldn't know a mule from Man O'War

At Noon eastern is the actual drawing of positions.

I suspect BreedersCup.com may also cover it and the BloodHorse.com and DRF.com will have the positions up pretty quickly after it happens ... this is 2007 not 2002 with waiting for news in next day's issue of the paper :)

Glimmerglass
Oct. 23, 2007, 02:35 PM
Worth pointing out: Trevor Denman will be calling the races for ESPN's TV coverage again this year. It is unclear if the live coverage on BreedersCup.com site will be Trevor or the track's announcer, Larry Collmus. For those on-site to watch the race in person you'll hear Larry and not Trevor ;)

"And awaaay they go..."

Full Stride
Oct. 24, 2007, 10:33 AM
The coverage on ESPNews is sadly a pairing of the always well informed and smooth analyst Randy Moss and the anchor guy who wouldn't know a mule from Man O'War

At Noon eastern is the actual drawing of positions.

I suspect BreedersCup.com may also cover it and the BloodHorse.com and DRF.com will have the positions up pretty quickly after it happens ... this is 2007 not 2002 with waiting for news in next day's issue of the paper :)

One day last year we caught sight of Kenny Mayne at Epcot with his family... My husband restrained me from chasing him down. I thought anyone that could say such incredibly stupid things about horses on national television deserved to be thrown into the lagoon.

Glimmerglass
Oct. 24, 2007, 11:10 AM
One day last year we caught sight of Kenny Mayne at Epcot with his family... My husband restrained me from chasing him down. I thought anyone that could say such incredibly stupid things about horses on national television deserved to be thrown into the lagoon.

Kenny has been conspicuously absent from being part of the on-air talent this year. He was only resigned to a 1-year deal in Jan 2007 with ESPN so one could read into that and say relatively speaking he's "on the outs" with the network.

In defense of Kenny - who is a real fan of horseracing - I think the producers have purposely used him to "jazz up" the coverage. His outlandish style was, in ESPN's view, going to attract and retain viewer interest when the horses weren't running. It flopped at times to be sure. Although I'll always think of his phrase Invasor, because he is the best with a smile.

I myself can do without the annual appearance of Muttonchops in the Sherlock Holmes garb on Breeders Cup day.

miss_critic
Oct. 24, 2007, 01:17 PM
I really like Denman, but I hope he doesn't miss Street Sense again. ;)

And I like Kenny too. I just like his sense of humor. He has a lot of fans so I am guessing a lot of people do. Of course, there are a lot who don't...regardless, the last few ESPN shows have been SO boring, with the exception of the horses and racing. Whether you like Kenny or not, I think it is hard to deny that the dynamics of the show between Kenny, Randy, and Jerry are very entertaining.

Interesting that he has not responded at all on the Breedercup.com Talk Back or whatever its called.

The one that drives me nuts is that kid-Quint...is that his name? He acts like he is reporting in the trenches from a battle site. And HE says some retarded things and I always catch him mispronouncing a name. He's gotta go.

But hey, as long as the sound works, the cameras dont confuse me (ala KD this year), everybody comes home safe, and SS wins, it will be the grandest of days :)

Btw, where is Drvmb? Always has such good insight...

Glimmerglass
Oct. 24, 2007, 01:58 PM
The one that drives me nuts is that kid-Quint...is that his name? He acts like he is reporting in the trenches from a battle site. And HE says some retarded things and I always catch him mispronouncing a name. He's gotta go.

Ah yes the roving reporter from the backside of the track - Quint Kessenich (http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bal-sportschat-kessenich,0,7040229.htmlstory). He was member of Johns Hopkins '87 NCAA Lacrosse Championship team so an automatic boo-hiss, as I'm a Syracuse alumnus! Let's hope Jeannine Edwards doesn't add in any speculative views of the runners (I'm sure ESPN will have her on a short leash, so to speak) following the Teuflesberg inappropriate rumor mongering.

I've been vocal for a long time with my dislike of the talent deprived Hank Greenberg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hank_Goldberg) who I suppose is ESPN's tip to try and have a modern day Jimmy "The Greek" Snyder. Compared to the vastly more charismatic (relatively speaking) Jimmy, Hank couldn't utter a single line on camera that is smooth if he tried.

The good thing is that with Bob Baffert have a good chance for a couple of winners we'll be sure to get a few good sound bites. Unlike Pletcher, Bob loves the camera and will call it as he sees it. That adds a lot to the attmosphere in the winners circle.

Glimmerglass
Oct. 24, 2007, 02:40 PM
Trevor Denman just called the 5th race at Monmouth - getting the feel of the track. A very spooky thing to hear in the background his voice and know that it's too early for Cali racing ;)

Regarding the weather at Monmouth it is supposed to rain off and on over through the weekend and possibly the heaviest on Saturday with thunderstorms. With the turf course getting soft and yielding it will only help the Euros who are much more versitile. A big question mark with Nobiz Like Shobiz to make his first try on a less then firm turf course.

As an aside ...

By comparison Keeneland has suffered over 6" worth of rain in the last week. Yet the polytrack is doing its job just fine and listed as fast today. They are off the turf at Keeneland today because of all that rain. Yet no measurable scratches with the change from turf scheduled races now onto poly. That is very good for Keeenland as the fields remain large vs. years past with major defections traditionally when races when from turf to main dirt track ;)

Glimmerglass
Oct. 27, 2007, 01:09 AM
Oct. 27
12 pm EST - 7 pm EST
ESPN

Just a reminder of the above airing times

Plus for those without ESPN you can view the races via www.breederscup.com - although it requires a (free) registration before you can see the streaming video.