PDA

View Full Version : help with tattoo lookup.

maxxtrot
Oct. 10, 2007, 10:05 AM
hi all. can someone look up a tattoo number for me. i hate to ask as someone is always asking. went and looked at a really cute 3-4 yr.old geld yesterday. i just love him. i would love some info on him before i buy him though. the tat i read was G29566. he is a chestnut with two hind whites and a blaze. thanks in advance, stacey

spooked
Oct. 10, 2007, 02:01 PM
Caramelo-Ch.g.4-Cloud Hopping-Luckiest Halo by Jolie's Halo. Bred in Fl (May 28,2003) Only ran 4 times, very very very slowly. Last ran 8/4/06 -doesn't even show how far he got beat, but also doesn't say eased, distanced or broke down. At the mile call he was beat by 49 lenths and they still had another 1/16 mile to go. I bet he's sound! Never ran fast enough to hurt himself.

maxxtrot
Oct. 10, 2007, 04:55 PM
hey, that's not funny:) he does look to be sound. but is the sweetest thing ever! thanks

Hunter's Rest
Jul. 25, 2009, 06:26 PM
Is Spooked still on this board?
I have 2 tattoos to look up and Spooked seems to be the go-to person! (I did simple search on this board and found your excellent answers from a few years ago ....)
Dark bay gelding. Either 14 or 18 -- U23431 or perhaps Q23431.
Bay gelding. 19, I'd say. T04420 (the 0 is the most obscured - sort of a dot, but probably a 0)
Thanks!
Or anybody else who has a subcription to those services that can help out! Both horses would be likely to have been mid Atlantic types, though they could be from afar - both histories are pretty flippin' vague.

SEPowell
Jul. 25, 2009, 07:41 PM
Go to https://www.registry.jockeyclub.com/Registry.cfm?Page=irCommonCustomerLogonForm&LogonMessage=&plurl=registry%2Ecfm&CFID=5854832&CFTOKEN=88796666 and you can look it up now.

T04420 is a chestnut mare, but T04428 is a brown or dark bay horse called Full Shade

U23431 is a chestnut and Q23431 is a bay mare Maybe a three is an 8???

Cammie
Jul. 25, 2009, 09:50 PM
HR-

Do either of the geldings have any markings at all? Do you have any photos you can post? Helps a lot to blot their upper lip before taking a photo, and then using the photo software to change contrast and color to bring out the details of the tattoo.

Hunter's Rest
Jul. 26, 2009, 08:29 AM
Yes, the one that looks like a T has a big blaze and 2 hind socks (tall but not stockings.) Dark bay has a small smudged star and a long smudged snip, and a right hind anklet.
Thanks for the helps! Keep 'em coming. (I'm having sat. 'net troubles and cannot log on for the ages it'll take to find these guys using the free services. I realllllly appreciate you guys' assistance.)

Hunter's Rest
Jul. 26, 2009, 08:36 AM
Hey, also (I have a 'net connection right now) -- is there an 'instant' search that I can do on JC site? I only see where you can email info and have to wait. (Imagine, having to wait!)

Dark bay might be U25431? U25421?

furlong47
Jul. 26, 2009, 04:00 PM
Hey, also (I have a 'net connection right now) -- is there an 'instant' search that I can do on JC site? I only see where you can email info and have to wait. (Imagine, having to wait!)

U25431 is a chestnut

U25421 is Timeless Ruler, Bay Horse, 1991, Timeless Moment -- Hula Ruler
Apparently markings would not match on this horse.

SEPowell
Jul. 26, 2009, 05:10 PM

You're having the exact problem I had the first time I tried to navigate the site. Immediately after you sign in you go to a welcome page. On the left hand side of that page, under the list of quick links there's a picture of a horse's head and a Flashing sign that says Tattoo Identification Services alternating with Enhanced with Markings. Click that and you'll go to the quick id look up. That's also on the left hand side of the page.

Cammie
Jul. 26, 2009, 06:04 PM
HR- Take one of those cameras of yours and get some pics of these two. The descriptions are so detailed that its hard to match up without seeing photos of the actual markings. How clear are the other numbers in the tattoos- are there any that are clearly and definitely a certain number that can be locked in on the partial search?

Cammie
Jul. 26, 2009, 06:50 PM
Any chance it could be a V rather than a U?

Rustys Reflection
Tattoo V26431
Year of Birth 1992
Dam Name Lucie Monigan
Color Bay
Sex Horse

Curved star open to left; narrow irregular stripe beginning to right in center of face, widening and extending to right on bridge of nose, narrowing above nostrils, widening between nostrils, into right nostril, ending to right on upper lip; mediancowlick at top of eye level. Right hind: half pastern white, lower on outside, higher on inside in back.

For the "T" bay-

Poor Oscar
Tattoo T04423
Year of Birth 1990
Dam Name Forsythe
Color Bay
Sex Horse
Irregular star pointed to right and connected stripe, widening to right and becoming bordered flesh colored on bridge of nose, extending between nostrils, covering right nostril, touching left nostril, ending to right on upper lip; flesh colored lowerlip; double horizontal cowlick at top of eye level. Left hind: irregular three quarters stocking, lower on outside, higher in front. Right hind: three quarters stocking, higher in front.

Does either one sound like they match?

Hunter's Rest
Jul. 27, 2009, 02:23 PM
Poor Oscar is a match!! Absolutely!! That's him -- Oscar is what he's called.
What about finding out his sire? He does not show up on pedigreequery.com.

Cammie
Jul. 27, 2009, 05:57 PM
Name: Poor Oscar
Sire: Commemorate
Dam: Forsythe
DamSire: Inverness Drive
Sex: Horse
Year Foaled: 1990
Area Foaled: ON

:)

Hunter's Rest
Jul. 27, 2009, 07:35 PM
Yay Oscar!! Go team, go!!!
Here's a better description of the U horse (might be a y or v, but it really honestly looks like a U)
small star, maybe double sworl, small centered snip. Very low sock on RH - black spots at front of it, barely halfway up pastern. Small smudge of white, also with black spots in it, on front of LH. Nothing on fronts.
I really appreciate ya'll's help. I am a doof on the JC service. That, plus headaches over sat 'net.

Cammie
Jul. 27, 2009, 10:56 PM
I'm not coming up with anything that looks like a lock for your other horse. Is his snip connected to the star, or is it completely separate further down his face? You said long snip- where does it start and end on his face if its not connected to the star? Anything that looks close to matching the description of the white hinds doesn't match at all with the face markings. If I find something that looks like it could be close, the tattoos are always way off of what you think the numbers are. Its easy to confuse a 3 or an 8, but no way does a 6 look like a 1......

And Poor Oscar ran 12 times, and was a winner. Born Feb 23, up in Ontario. You'll have to hang a maple leaf on his stall and buy him some Smarties. :D

Hunter's Rest
Jul. 28, 2009, 08:41 AM
Poor Oscar and I share a birthday!! (not the year, but the day:o)
Looking at the dark bay now. Trying the photo thing. No white connecting star and snip. Snip has flesh colored center, star is size of a half dollar, scarcely left of center, double sworl possibly, but could just be stray hairs growing askew.
Took pix but the pix make it worse - just looks like dots.
No way, acc. to his teeth, this dark bay horse is anything less than 14, or more than 18, so that narrows it. We may have to let this one go. Sigh. But good old Oscar is a positive! How cool is that.

Cammie
Jul. 28, 2009, 11:43 AM
Okay, how about possibly being a W?

Horse Name Tiverton
Tattoo W23431
Year of Birth 1993
Dam Name Contrefaire
Color Dark Bay or Brown
Sex Gelding

Star to left in forehead; narrow mixed stripe beginning slightly to right on bridge of nose, widening becoming becoming flesh colored and ending between nostrils, into left nostrils; double horizontal cowlick above eye level. Left hind: coronet white on portion of inside & inside front; dark spots on coronet. Right hind: coronet and part of pastern white, higher in back; dark spots on coronet.

If that is him, pretty neat to see both Sham and Swaps in his pedigree.
http://www.pedigreequery.com/tiverton7

Hunter's Rest
Jul. 28, 2009, 01:44 PM
THaT"S HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11 He came to us as "Tipperton". !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Youa re a MOST AMAZING PERSON. Three cheers.

TJHunter049
Jul. 28, 2009, 01:55 PM
Hey everyone.. I hate to be a bother!

I have a chestnut gelding, 8 years old, star/stripe/snip.. and RF sock.

I read his tattoo as E32915.. but I have never been able to look up his tattoo! His name was Merlin when I got him, but not sure if that was his racing name or not.

Cammie
Jul. 28, 2009, 01:59 PM
HR- Glad that's him! I was starting to go cross-eyed from all the descriptions of stars and socks. :lol: He was born 4/23/93, bred in VA by Springridge, and ran 12 times, but only managed to place.

TJHunter-

That tattoo doesn't come back as a match. I'll try a partial match later on today if no one gets to it first. How high is his sock, and what's the description on his face markings? How big of a star, how long is the stripe, is it centered, etc..... :)

TJHunter049
Jul. 28, 2009, 02:02 PM
http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v264/124/33/141400780/n141400780_30341357_226.jpg

Old picture.. hopefully you can see it. His RF sock is fairly short.. not past his fetlock.

Cammie
Jul. 28, 2009, 09:00 PM
TJHunter-

How clear is the letter or numbers on the tattoo? Any numbers that you are absolutely positive on? I need a letter and at least 2 digits to do the partial search. Nothing is coming up that matches his markings so far with the various combinations I've tried.

TJHunter049
Jul. 29, 2009, 08:39 AM
I will look at his tattoo when I go to the barn today. I'll let you know after I come back! Thanks so much for your help!