PDA

View Full Version : a trip down memory lane

snoopy
Oct. 9, 2007, 05:53 PM
OKAY....I am the first to admit that I am in my 40's....so I thought (mid life crisis anyone) that I would look back at some old pictures of myself....

Here is what I saw:

Caliente

Silk cover with pom pom and bow tied ribbon

Hampa boots

All purpose saddle for all three phases

Dressage in a hunt coat...at FEI levels!!!!:eek:

Rust Breeches

Pull on gum coloured bell boots

Anyone want to add to the list?

This should give the "kids" something to laugh about!!!!

bornfreenowexpensive
Oct. 9, 2007, 05:55 PM
Hey... I still use gum colored pull on bell boots!

Tuckertoo
Oct. 9, 2007, 05:58 PM
Hey... I still use gum colored pull on bell boots!

I bought a pair to use last year and I'm 15:D

But... the first time I put them on the horse stepped on one with the other foot and ripped it (I have no idea how, really). And I haven't been able to find any more in the local tack shops, and I needed a different kind for my current horse, anyway.

LLDM
Oct. 9, 2007, 06:00 PM
Off the top of my head:

Rugby shirts for XC

Flat nosebands or real dropped nosebands

What's a safety vest? :lol:

Penalty boxes around each XC fence (don't fall off in the box!)

XC before SJ - ALWAYS!

White string gloves for dressage - LOL! (Oh my, how I HATED those things!)

SCFarm

snoopy
Oct. 9, 2007, 06:01 PM
Oh and stalls without rubber matting, no fans in summer, and the best one my Barbra Bain space 1999 feathered hair....

You may well be wondering what was wrong with the hair....did I mention that dear old snoops is a male:eek::eek::eek:!!!!

Breeches with SOCKS pulled up to the knee....what were half chaps???!!!!

Janet
Oct. 9, 2007, 06:25 PM
Rugby shirts for XC

Flat nosebands or real dropped nosebands Still use both of those.

Sebastian
Oct. 9, 2007, 06:26 PM
Marlborough Boots... :winkgrin:
Seb

LLDM
Oct. 9, 2007, 06:38 PM
Still use both of those.

So do I, along with my vintage rust breeches on occasion. But, my dear, it does date us. :cool:

SCFarm

mcm7780
Oct. 9, 2007, 06:45 PM
Oh and stalls without rubber matting, no fans in summer!

I evented out in California. I think there was one event I went to that had rubber mats...only because they had permanent stalls! Fans? I didn't even know people used those until I came out to Virginia!

I have a rugby shirt for XC. I remember having to get a vest when they first came out right as I started eventing.

lead weight pads (never used one but I do know about them and figured I should add something to the list! :lol:)

wabadou
Oct. 9, 2007, 06:50 PM
I'm in my 40's, too, and I have the same pictures :lol:

I still have my Caliente...all the insides have hardened and come out tho, LOL!

foam lined vinyl "shipping boots" ( to take the place of "BB Satin Star" cotton sheets and leg wraps...)

velvet helmet with elastic chin strap and plastic cup for chin...

long brown "bats" for cross country with the fringey leather all down the last 10"

string girths

canary yellow breeches

"Pre-training" level (now Novice or Beginner Novice, not sure which would equate)with a dressage test (the old Training Level Test 1 was used) with "working trot-sitting" entry and circles..."Tadpole" was the lowest schooling level and also used the Training Level Test 1 dressage test with the sitting trots...!!
"C enter working trot, sitting".....forever etched in the brain...!

4cornersfarm
Oct. 9, 2007, 06:54 PM
Hey, wait a minute! I'm still using my vintage 1980s Hampa boots - check this out - http://www.barrykaplan.smugmug.com/gallery/3609060#205440192

Note the sheepskin covered breastplate as well. My new helmet cover doesn't have a pom-pom though. :D

Hony
Oct. 9, 2007, 06:56 PM
I still have a Caliente too. I would never wear it though. A good friend of mine works for a helmet company and when they tested the helmet it crushed the skull inside.:eek:
I loved hampa boots!
Felt numnas in a puke green/yellowish colour.

snoopy
Oct. 9, 2007, 06:59 PM
My hampa boots have long sinced crossed over:cry:

I remember using CLOTH diapers and wraps as shipping boots!!! I do not know whether to laugh or cry...

denny
Oct. 9, 2007, 07:00 PM
Flared britches, plastic helmet, no vest or back protector, no dressage saddle, 3 events in all of Area One, no gooseneck trailers, heck, I`m not sure we had electricity or indoor toilets.
The lowest level was prelim. There was a thing called Jenny Camp, a sort of intro to eventing, but not an official division.
The USCTA was 3 years old, I was USCTA number 63, the 63rd member.
This was 1962.

snoopy
Oct. 9, 2007, 07:02 PM
I still have a Caliente too. I would never wear it though. A good friend of mine works for a helmet company and when they tested the helmet it crushed the skull inside.:eek:
I loved hampa boots!
Felt numnas in a puke green/yellowish colour.

For those not british or from the "provinces" you might have to explain what a "numnah" is....;) But they were a vile colour.

wabadou
Oct. 9, 2007, 07:03 PM
My hampa boots have long sinced crossed over:cry:

I remember using CLOTH diapers and wraps as shipping boots!!! I do not know whether to laugh or cry...

Oh wow, I ALWAYS wanted a pair of Hampas but we were on a budget, :lol:.....

Who remembers one of the number one things that I miss...the old Miller's Catalog....with the Sam Savitt illustrated cover...As soon as it came out in the fall I started my Christmas list...

snoopy
Oct. 9, 2007, 07:06 PM
Flared britches, plastic helmet, no vest or back protector, no dressage saddle, 3 events in all of Area One, no gooseneck trailers, heck, I`m not sure we had electricity or indoor toilets.
The lowest level was prelim. There was a thing called Jenny Camp, a sort of intro to eventing, but not an official division.
The USCTA was 3 years old, I was USCTA number 63, the 63rd member.
This was 1962.

Area 1!!!!! When Area 1 was THE place to be if you wanted seriously event in the 70's/80's, when area 1 pumped out more top level riders than anywhere else....when there was actually a one day event. LEDYARD!!! Need I say more!! How many skipped school to go (before your parents could be ARRESTED for letting you do so)?!!

LLDM
Oct. 9, 2007, 07:14 PM
And Kaufmann's! And tack and supplies at Sears!

SCFarm

snoopy
Oct. 9, 2007, 07:16 PM
Hey Denny, I bought my first hunt coat at Steigers!!!! Well actually a blazer with the buttons altered to look like a hunt coat.

WldGbl
Oct. 9, 2007, 07:19 PM
USCTA on Bridge Street In South Hamilton MA

snoopy
Oct. 9, 2007, 07:30 PM
USCTA on Bridge Street In South Hamilton MA

Yupp!!! And when everyone (at least in area 1) wanted to board and train at Flying Horse Farm.

joliemom, again
Oct. 9, 2007, 07:36 PM
Old enough to have ridden at:

* Little River
* Southern Life
* Henson Farm

before they were golf courses and McMansion developments.

snoopy
Oct. 9, 2007, 07:37 PM
When Ships Quarters was a slection trial...infact do we even have a series of selection trials any more?

Eventer55
Oct. 9, 2007, 07:41 PM
:lol:Flared breeches
No vests
Hitching Post Farm and Joe McLaughlin and Ellen et al. . .

Eventer55
Oct. 9, 2007, 07:44 PM
Are people using dressage saddles now?????:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

4cornersfarm
Oct. 9, 2007, 08:05 PM
Places I miss:

Shepley Hill
Ledyard
Andover Horse Center (and Kim)

Area 1 used to be the place to be. It was tough though, always riding against members of the team. :lol:

OneDaySoon
Oct. 9, 2007, 08:27 PM
There was only one division for each level.

Training was the lowest level.

Trying to calculate times for Roads and Tracks, XC, etc as an 11 year old.

No fancy watches.

Having Zero Finesse, and anything that resembled today's Basics (speaking for myself, of course).

Having Zero Finesse and getting a NINE (re-read 9) in dressage. (see below, Dad must have had a good night with the judge or something!!!)

Riding 5 miles or more each way to and from competitions, over freeways, highways, deadly bridges, through towns and grocery store parking lots.

Parents in the 70's who spent a lot of time in trailers with different people.

Gator dancing on Saturday night.

Being in AWE of a horse, coach, or rider from anywhere out of our province. Simply mention an 'international' name and we swarmed and hung on their every word, and the very rare imported horses could not be touched in the ribbons in any competition.

Moscow, Bromont, Princess Anne and CMP riding.

Walking horses throughout the night after XC.

PhoenixFarm
Oct. 9, 2007, 08:36 PM
I resemble many of these remarks!

I'm going to step slightly forward in time (to the 80's), AND orient myself to the Left Coast where I grew up riding.

"Clacker" bell boots

White padded bridles (including dropped noseband for dressage)

Neoprene galloping boots for the lower levels (learned the hard way they were as protectvie as paper, but dang they came in so many pretty colors), leather for the upper

No BN

Event numbers so small you were psyched if they had a junior and a senior division because it meant you didn't have to ride your horse against the pros

Wild Horse as the premier event

Advanced was something you heard about in mythic tales

The return of advanced to the West--the first one had less than a dozen horses, but we kids worshipped them like gods

White breeches for dressage and show jumping (even as females, kids, and/or at Novice)--actually this is still pretty prevalent. I got away from wearing white when I lived/competed back east, but I find out here I stick out, so I've dragged them out of mothballs

Taped braids

Plaited tails (or mud knots for rain)

This is funny!

wabadou
Oct. 9, 2007, 09:00 PM
I resemble many of these remarks!

Taped braids

Plaited tails (or mud knots for rain)

This is funny!

OMG, I had forgotten about taped braids!!
I remember using white "first aid" tape and the residue afterwards was hell !!
Where did that one start??!
White yarn braids on a chestnut horse...trying to find "latch hooks" in the crochet section of a fabric store to use as a "pull-thru" for yarn braids...( those wooden handled "Pull-thru/latchhooks were HIGH TECH, LOL!!)

Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl
Oct. 9, 2007, 09:00 PM
Before there was Rolex, there was Lexington,

which was about the era when Sally O'Connor called in her story reporting on Ships Quarters, when she was infact where for the duration?

Sannois
Oct. 9, 2007, 09:15 PM
Off the top of my head:

Rugby shirts for XC

Flat nosebands or real dropped nosebands

What's a safety vest? :lol:

Penalty boxes around each XC fence (don't fall off in the box!)

XC before SJ - ALWAYS!

White string gloves for dressage - LOL! (Oh my, how I HATED those things!)

SCFarm
I wore Rugby shirts until I stopped eventing. I like em.. Hunter and navy striped! I pitched my Caliente 5 years ago, it was 20 years old.
;):(

snoopy
Oct. 9, 2007, 09:24 PM
I do not know what happened to my caliente....this was in the day that you did not replace them when you had a fall:eek: And I seem to remember that is started to "ming"...so it probably walked away and retired itself...like a cat that goes away to die...:cry:

wabadou
Oct. 9, 2007, 09:29 PM
I wore Rugby shirts until I stopped eventing. I like em.. Hunter and navy striped! I pitched my Caliente 5 years ago, it was 20 years old.
;):(

Rugby shirts were the BOMB!!
they came in any possible cross country color combination, (kind of like the satin helmet covers only they didn't have to be special ordered!!) :D

CookiePony
Oct. 9, 2007, 09:31 PM
Are Hampa boots like those Ulster boots? 'Cause I had (still have them in a trunk!) a pair of those.

Marlborough boots for me, too.:D

snoopy
Oct. 9, 2007, 09:34 PM
Are Hampa boots like those Ulster boots? 'Cause I had (still have them in a trunk!) a pair of those.

If I remember correctly...yes.

honeycomb inside and shiny plastic outside with metal snaps that you but the straps through.

gr8fulrider
Oct. 9, 2007, 09:47 PM
http://inlinethumb19.webshots.com/594/2237870930100380233S600x600Q85.jpg (http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2237870930100380233trTHmz)

Caliente helmet
No body protector
My flat saddle in all three phases
Hunt coat for dressage and stadium
X-C before stadium

Ah, the glorious 80s.

Seven
Oct. 9, 2007, 09:54 PM

Yep - almost exactly the same. Though Hampa's often had fixed straps while Ulster's had slide thru straps that could be replaced.

Not long ago I sold an old pair of Ulsters (my well-kept "show" set) on eBay. Fetched a good bit of money, despite being stamped "Made in West Germany" clearly dating them 20-odd years!

It was quite special to grow up in Area I. Being so close to Ledyard, Essex, Gladstone and seeing the Team at the events. Anyone remember: Mancunian (sp?) - became Old Chatham after a while.

wabadou
Oct. 9, 2007, 10:13 PM
http://inlinethumb19.webshots.com/594/2237870930100380233S600x600Q85.jpg (http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2237870930100380233trTHmz)

Caliente helmet
No body protector
My flat saddle in all three phases
Hunt coat for dressage and stadium
X-C before stadium

Ah, the glorious 80s.

http://community.webshots.com/album/560992943gJxyGf

Cross Country in the late 70's, brick wall with REAL brick :)no body protector, no medical armband, Rugby, Stubben Siegfried (all 3 phases) velvet helmet with plastic chinstrap (pre Caliente :) ) string girth, synthetic contour pad, etc etc

lstevenson
Oct. 9, 2007, 11:10 PM
OKAY....I am the first to admit that I am in my 40's....so I thought (mid life crisis anyone) that I would look back at some old pictures of myself....

Here is what I saw:

Calienta

Silk cover with palm palm and bow tied ribbon

Hampa boots

I loved my Hampa boots!

Don't forget the pom poms on top of those Caliente covers. I know there are some around today, but back then everyone had them. I hated those!

And latex on stirrups!

And the "pad fad" was Tony Gonzalas's PBM (Proper balance movement) pad. I know I had one, but it's been so long, I can't remember what it was like. I do remember that he was a farrier who insisted that many horses had one leg longer than the other, which needed to be "fixed" with his shoe pads and saddle pads.

I loved the early 80's! :cool:

CookiePony
Oct. 10, 2007, 08:55 AM
Not long ago I sold an old pair of Ulsters (my well-kept "show" set) on eBay. Fetched a good bit of money, despite being stamped "Made in West Germany" clearly dating them 20-odd years!

It was quite special to grow up in Area I. Being so close to Ledyard, Essex, Gladstone and seeing the Team at the events. Anyone remember: Mancunian (sp?) - became Old Chatham after a while.

Hmm... that gives me an idea. Maybe I will try eBay.

I grew up in Area 1 in the 80s but I didn't event myself until 1990 (in a flat saddle, of course). I remember the Flying Horse Farm mystique... and gossip about the Hamilton Equestrian Center! Old Chatham is now ENYDCTA (that's a mouthful).

gahawkeye
Oct. 10, 2007, 09:08 AM
Mumford Farm
Neil Ayer
Roads & Tracks at Training Level
Red rubber reins
AP saddles for everything
snaffle bit for everyone!
Winds Reach Horse Trials
Betsy Coester

Oct. 10, 2007, 09:47 AM
slide fences!

DLee
Oct. 10, 2007, 10:55 AM
First introduced to eventing and riding in 'the east' in 1980 at the Potomac Horse Center (I was from Idaho... it was all new!)

Getting to go to Radnor and Chesterland to see my first ever events, seeing Torrence Watkins ride, watching a clinic with Jack LeGoff (somewhere I still have a pic of his dog), learning what the word 'hack' meant, riding in my first Horse Trials in Idaho over the (only) xc course that was never open for schooling so a lot of our horses were seeing xc fences for the first time ever that day :eek:, my inherited pair of Hampa boots with one broken strap but they were still HAMPAS!, when who cared what your dressage score was... it was just something to get out of the way so you could go xc :yes:, pvc pipe dressage arenas that popped out of the holders if your horse hit one... good times!

snoopy
Oct. 10, 2007, 11:03 AM
[QUOTE=DLee;2731549]
.....when who cared what your dressage score was... QUOTE]

Ha!!! And that was the truth!!!!;)

JAM
Oct. 10, 2007, 11:07 AM
Run and jump courses

3 hours between each phase, with XC always, always before stadium

no computer scoring -- gave you something to do and look forward to during those 3 hour waits between phases

victory gallops

pinnies that might fit an 8 year old girl but nobody any larger than that

split rails

totally square tables, sometimes with just air underneath

lots of flimsy looking fences, but no skinnies or corners (esp. at lower levels, and not more than 1 per course), 4- or 5-element bending line combinations with a table in the middle of the water, etc., to speak of

fan fences in stadium

For Area II types -- Blue Ridge, Water's Gift, Camp Olympic, Ship's Quarters, Commonwealth Park (the first time around), Seneca Valley before it was recognized and it was basically 12-15 coops of various sizes in a big field, Radnor as the marquee event of the season

They were the good old days.

denny
Oct. 10, 2007, 12:15 PM
Trotting on roads and tracks on Victor Dakin after steeplechase at Appleton Farm, and getting close to Ledyard Farm for the 1st big International in the US, Ledyard `73, and hearing the roar of the crowd as some rider sped around x-c, and thinking "what the f--- am I doing here?", scared out of my mind, but too committed to back out now.
That was what`s known as a "pivotal moment"in my little riding career to that point, let me tell you!

DLee
Oct. 10, 2007, 12:27 PM
I'd forgotten about taped braids too... and I love the look of great taped braids! :yes:

merry_one
Oct. 10, 2007, 12:32 PM
Slide fences, oh yeah! Irish banks - loved those. Jumping picnic tables.

I remember at the pony club rally, Godspeed Farm??? in the middle of Ohio, the jump out of the water being sponsored by a cigarette company!!! Painted on it..."You've come a long way baby."

Giddyup2
Oct. 10, 2007, 12:48 PM
Black velvet (or crushed velvet) on jacket collar. (I wore dark green and dark green wool plaid jackets). A bit hunterish but I was stylin'!

New Zealand rugs that were green waxed canvas.

LongLeaf
Oct. 10, 2007, 12:49 PM
When dressage was just something you did to warm up for cross country!

I've got the ultimate pic on my website

http://www.freewebs.com/longleaffarm/aboutus.htm

Rugby...Caliente...Pom pom...flat saddle...no vest...but hey, it looks like my pinney fit! I'm not even sure what I've got on his legs, but it's got white tape around it!

snoopy
Oct. 10, 2007, 01:49 PM
New Zealand rugs that were green waxed canvas.

My god, I have forgotten about those....and they were so heavy when they got wet...and I do not care what anyone says...they GOT wet!!! But in the day...they were the bomb!!!

cinnabar
Oct. 10, 2007, 02:04 PM
When western PA went from being Area II to Area VIII.

Area VIII HT that aren't there anymore...
- Yep, Godspeed Farm!
- Oakwood - the top half of the course was like a golf course!
- Saxonburg
- Merestead (One year, I was assigned to a stall in the "quarantine" barn, a little 3 stall affair, but very cozy. Would my horse mind being stabled with a stallion? Of course not! Just happened to be a very young Abdullah going Training with a very green jumping style! For the record, he was quite a gentleman.)
- Cincinnati

The appearance of the first new-fangled "back protector."

Hand made helmet covers.

Equitime watches (I still have mine. It's the perfect back up when the battery in the fancy yellow watch dies just before cross country. Equitimes are hand wound.)

$15 entry fees. $6 for a stall.

Pony Club ratings corresponding to eventing levels (B = prelim, A = intermediate).

Pre-training was the new lowest level.

A fairly hunted horse should be able to go prelim easily.

Lead weight pads.

fooler
Oct. 10, 2007, 02:09 PM
http://community.webshots.com/album/560992943gJxyGf

Cross Country in the late 70's, brick wall with REAL brick :)no body protector, no medical armband, Rugby, Stubben Siegfried (all 3 phases) velvet helmet with plastic chinstrap (pre Caliente :) ) string girth, synthetic contour pad, etc etc

Back when Area III had 2 seasons. Flat Creek ended the Spring season at Memorial Day weekend & started the Fall Season at Labor Day weekend. FYI - Mrs Molyneaux (Flat Creek) had a job for you before, during and after each event- the only way out was to be out of town with family or a death certificate :)
wabadou, I remember when that Training (later a pre-training "novice') wall was built - it looked so large at the time!

Cahaba Horse Trials
Midland Horse Trials - which was the only 3 Day in area 3 for years

Going x-c in hunt cap, then hunt cap w/ strap, a 'helmet' and finally a caliente (which was passed from 1 rider to the next until we had chance to purchase our own 'approved' headgear).
the variation of x-c courses - very few 'trained' designers or builders
the eventer dress that made us stand out from other english disciplines
Guys with long hair - being told by dressage judges to cut it or wear a hair net
Gals wearing bandanas around their head
'return pinney' fees to use for gas & food to get home
the variety of horse-flesh
one omibus for the year
very thin rule book
reading the USCTA News
drooling over Area 1 activities
reading & re-reading the team training session stories
The forward x-c courses

eqsiu
Oct. 10, 2007, 02:18 PM
Pony Club ratings corresponding to eventing levels (B = prelim, A = intermediate).

Still true, with C-3 being training and C-2 being Novice. D-3 is beginner novice.

FlightCheck
Oct. 10, 2007, 03:07 PM
The box "post and rail" combinations on XC where you HAD to jump out because there was no other way...

Penalty zones around dressage rings...

Jumping into barns (over 1/2 the Dutch Door) and hopefully coming out the other side...

Going XC at my first Training and coming in 2 minutes under time (riding an ex Advanced horse) because Every horse went XC in a snaffle

Omnibus listing as to whether stalls had doors

Not finding out your ride times until you arrived at the event

"Official" course walks at 3pm

Janet
Oct. 10, 2007, 03:12 PM
Still true, with C-3 being training and C-2 being Novice. D-3 is beginner novice.
When the only ratings were D-1, D-2, C-1, C-2, B, A.

eqsiu
Oct. 10, 2007, 03:15 PM
When the only ratings were D-1, D-2, C-1, C-2, B, A.

Hell, I'm only 26 and they've changed the ratings all up with the dressage and stadium only tracks since I got out. And if they had raised the age limit a few years earlier I would have had another chance at A. :(

cinnabar
Oct. 10, 2007, 03:19 PM
But you HAD to go prelim at the rally (that is, THE rally, since there were only eventing rallies in those days) if you were a B.

Also...
Bonus points for going faster than the optimum time.

So many judges and TDs were ex-military horsemen (Col. Ed, MG Burton, Col. Kitts).

JER
Oct. 10, 2007, 05:15 PM

Awesome, just awesome.

Perhaps this defines the difference between the true sport of eventing and the modern-day version. Long-format vs. short-format...

snoopy
Oct. 10, 2007, 06:15 PM
So now that some of us have "taken the trip" what are your thoughts on the sport today....I am talking more emotionally rather than the differences in HOW THE SPORT HAS EVOLVED.

I look back, and remember a more simple and fun time. The "modern" sport seems to be more stressful in some ways. I remember showing up at the events (in area 1 anyway) and it seemed like a family get together...especially after the long winter, when it was time to catch up. I am not saying that the sport is less friendly in that regard but for me anyway, something is different....I can only liken it to:

Not knowing your neighbours like you used too. Like getting a friendly nod instead of a warm hello....

I know that we should embrace change, but does anyone feel that the changes in the "structure" of the sport has changed the over all "environment/atmosphere" of the sport?

The true friends I have made as a result of this sport evolved years ago and my aquaintances have come from recent times.

I picked up the phone and called Karen Stives recently and it was like we have never lost touch...picked up right where we left off....that does not seem to happen now.

Any thoughts?

Snoops:D

higgs
Oct. 10, 2007, 06:26 PM
I'm not that old but I have two sets of Hampa boots--I love them. The are even the super-oldies with non-replaceable straps. I don't like the ones with removable straps nearly as much (other than they're cheaper to replace!).
They are hard to come by but not impossible. Try ebay.

denny
Oct. 10, 2007, 06:36 PM
I`ve heard it said that childhood friends, high school and college friendships, are stronger, and last longer, than those later. I`m heading to Baltimore this weekend, for example, to visit my college roommate who`s just had a major cancer operation.
I have a hunch that the kids who are experiencing today`s events, fresh, excited, and keen, will look back on the early two thousands as "the good old days", just as we do the 60s or 70s or 80s (even 90s).
So I don`t think it`s worse, only different, and just as meaningful as ever. That fear I felt at Ledyard 34 years ago, some kid is feeling today going prelim or int for the 1st time, just as poignant and intense as ever was.
I`ve thought a lot about whether to be pissed off and grumpy (which comes pretty naturally!) about new eventing, and I`ve decided it isn`t worth it.
I`m going to try to figure out how to make this new deal work, and not get into the "in my day" any more than I can help it.
(Although the temptation is surely there!)

NeverTime
Oct. 10, 2007, 06:47 PM
It's nice to know, too, that some things haven't changed. Just a few weeks ago, I attended the Seneca Valley PC horse trials -- the same place where I was first introduced to eventing through PC clinic back in the mid 1980s, and where I subsequently did my first event ever.

This September was the first time I've been back to Bittersweet Field since 1990 or so. It was amazing how the trip out there was almost unrecognizable (HUGE houses built where farms once stood) but the pony club grounds are the same as ever, with a few upgrades.

I even spied a few old, overgrown fences that I believe I remember from way-back-when!

It brought back SOOOOO many memories to be there, and it was so wonderful to see how that pony club has continued running its competition and still does a fabulous job to the day.

pwynnnorman
Oct. 10, 2007, 06:54 PM
Hey, someone said Training was the lowest level. I remember Pre-Training (but can't remember when that was--had to have been late 70s early 80s, I think).

I remember hacking one of Denny's students horses to get it fit for the first Training level championships (remember Bea Davis, Denny?): big, ol' government-line Morgan, hacked in a gag. I really liked that horse, Ben.

Anyone here remember Southlands? John Craven and Debbie Dows (sp?)? Is it still there by any chance?

Foxtrot's
Oct. 10, 2007, 07:42 PM
Did nobody use coloured electrical tape (red) on everything to match your eventing colurs? Mine were black and red in the hope that they would make me (a normally low key type of person) feel aggressive.
How about the black velvet hunt cap with elastic UP for dressage and DOWN for cross country. Water jumps without a limit for depth - up to and inside the boots in some cases (I have the pic to prove it) and when Young Riders was high Intermediate. When trailers were oldies but goodies and only QH people had the really fancy ones, and we evented without a trainer in tow. Riders would come off x-country and warn everybody else where the slippery spots were.

Aaah, my heyday!

kml84
Oct. 10, 2007, 07:44 PM
Southlands is still there..it's turned into a bit of a H/J pony/lesson mill. They don't use the XC course at all. They do have a lot of small, very well run dressage and H/J shows which are good early season outings or for the kids to go to as a very first show....so cute!:D

http://www.southlands.org/

scavenger
Oct. 10, 2007, 08:47 PM
What about the tidal water jump at Middletown pony club, white linen coats with ties for summer adolescents wearing elastic leggins and paddoc boots with thier flaired breeches,only two horse tag a long trailers or vans, slides tiger traps, helping flag the course on the official course walk (MCTA's first event at Jacksons Hole?

wabadou
Oct. 10, 2007, 09:57 PM
Cahaba Horse Trials
Midland Horse Trials - which was the only 3 Day in area 3 for years

The forward x-c courses
Midland Foxhounds Pony Club was my "alma mater" and my daughters are now Pony Club members.
I remember , fondly, the Midland 3-days with roads and tracks and steeplechase across the road from the showgrounds. The show barns from the 70's and 80's are still there at the site but mostly rotting since they discontninued the 3 days and Horse trials.
The "invasion" of Armadilloes and their holes have made the former cross country course unsafe....
Our Pony club keeps up one row of the former Midalnd 3 day stabling area for Pony Club camp in the summer !

zoigal
Oct. 11, 2007, 08:28 AM
What about the tidal water jump at Middletown

I remember walking the novice course in the am thinking "no problem" it's just a little ditch w/ a splash of water in it (my horse being terrified of water). When I rode the course later in the day, I actually thought I had made a wrong turn. The ditch was filled w/ dark, scary water!!

Hony
Oct. 11, 2007, 08:38 AM
helping flag the course on the official course walk (MCTA's first event at Jacksons Hole?

What a good idea.....less volunteers needed.

asterix
Oct. 11, 2007, 10:30 AM
Wait, no one answered the question! Where WAS Sally O'Connor really.....

Janet
Oct. 11, 2007, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Awesome, just awesome.

Perhaps this defines the difference between the true sport of eventing and the modern-day version. Long-format vs. short-format...

Huh? You are saying that the difference between the long format and the short format is -

illicit sex?

I don't follow.

eqsiu
Oct. 11, 2007, 02:41 PM
Huh? You are saying that the difference between the long format and the short format is -

illicit sex?

I don't follow.

Duh. It takes lots of illicit sex to properly condition oneself for a long format 3 day.

austin
Oct. 11, 2007, 03:03 PM
I remember when we all rode OTTBs or whatever we could get to jump. Dressage was something to get through in order to get to go cross country. Started with pre-training. Midland 3 day was like the Olympics for those of us in Area III. Everyone was nice. No one had any money and not much ego.

No vests, no armbands. no law suits. I finally got some Ulsters and was proud of them. also had those petal bell boots that you put together like a puzzel. still have my sisters hand me down, jockey club helmet from the 80s. My first trailer was about 6 feet tall and long and my highly strung, afraid of his own shadow, but would jump anything OTTB had to duck to ride in it (still have him too, he will be 30 in March). Bumper pull of course. pulled it with Mom's station wagon. (might be getting mixed up with my barrel racing days).

crying after dressage but back in love after cross country.

Live Oak, Gold Leaf, Midland, Ft. Rucker, Flat Creek

Canterbury, Basingstoke

Torrance, Denny, Bruce, Mike, Jimmy, Karen and Karen were way cool. The Grey Goose. Murphy Himself (jumped the pond there (and maybe a decade). The Optimist. J.J.Babu, Poltroon.

very vertical verticals with sharp edges, no narrows, square tables, but no one got killed ?

Whisper
Oct. 11, 2007, 04:26 PM
I wore rust breeches and the horse wore gum-coloured pull-on bell boots at a HT 2 months ago (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ljOwDra6Bg). :D

NeverTime
Oct. 11, 2007, 04:37 PM
Hey, I still have my Ulsters -- a historic relic at this point as they distinctly say "Made in W. Germany" -- although I lost a strap at a HT a few weeks ago. I can still tape 'em closed with the electrical tape, though!

snoopy
Oct. 11, 2007, 05:15 PM
I wore rust breeches and the horse wore gum-coloured pull-on bell boots at a HT 2 months ago (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ljOwDra6Bg). :D

"Atta" girl!!!!! But I found it strange to see RUST coloured breechs WITH A BODY PROTECTER. For me the two do not mix....;):D Not that it LOOKS bad....I love RUST...but it is like mixing the generations.:D
Your horse is cute BTW!!!

wabadou
Oct. 11, 2007, 08:14 PM
Hey, someone said Training was the lowest level. I remember Pre-Training (but can't remember when that was--had to have been late 70s early 80s, I think).

In area III, in the late 70's, there was Pre-Training ( I think the equivalent of Novice or maybe Beg Novice, can't remember the maximum jump height.) There was also a Tadpole division with lower fences but for both, the dressage test was Training Level Test 1. No Intro Walk trot tests and certainly no such thing as "Amoeba"...!!!
Seems like people just got out and rode it, not worrying so much about the jumping heights. Dressage was always a lot more worry to me than the jumping. A lot of people, I think, also had foxhunting experience so they thought nothing about the running and jumping good sized fences.
The active hunts are much fewer now due to development which means much fewer people have the opportunity to foxhunt and learn to love the running and jumping whatever comes at you. It was a great training ground for cross country !!

Horseless1
Oct. 12, 2007, 10:20 AM
I remember walking the novice course in the am thinking "no problem" it's just a little ditch w/ a splash of water in it (my horse being terrified of water). When I rode the course later in the day, I actually thought I had made a wrong turn. The ditch was filled w/ dark, scary water!!

HA - I remember the water jumps at Middletown Pony Club! Even at Novice you jumped over a few logs with a drop into a creek that might be at flood stage with sucking mud, or it might be fine - just kick on!

Also hacking to cross country at Middletown.

Scary jumps that included actual pointy picket fences and many other completely dangerous things no one cared about back then.

Unrecognized divisions of Baby Novice - which I still keep saying instead of beginner novice even now.

Paper chases.

No one ever got their horse on the bit for dressage unless you were rich and/or related to a famous rider.

Trying to pace out the penatly zone and placing your little wire flags as a jump judge.

Light grey breeches. Fat stripe rugby shirt. Pom poms on your helmet. Braiding tails. Yarn for braiding that was the opposite color of your horses hair so everyone could see it. And perhaps even adding a pom pom to your horse...hahaha

RAyers
Oct. 12, 2007, 11:17 AM
I remember when XC fences were REAL obstacles. I mean when a Trakhaner was across the drainage on a mountain, and there were no ground lines; when a Weldon's wall was really part of a stream or ditch. We had one course where we literally had to jump into the chutes of a cattle pen and out off of the stock ramp.

I have a few pictures of us jumping without a flak jacket in a thick striped rugby shirt.

I do miss when even the low level XC courses were LONG, e.g. the optimum time was around 8 minutes for a "training" level course. Talk about getting your money's worth!

In today's world, the people haven't really changed. I have met so many wonderful, nice folks. The requirements of the sport have changed and so the people are more intense. Money has become the driver. So, competitions are no longer the social events because time is money and people are just too busy.

To me, original eventing is dead. That sport no longer exists. What we have today is not an evolution. It is a mutation and we all are trying to figure out how we fit in the new discipline. So, the "old" folks tend to spend a lot of time together wondering what to do next. ;)

Reed

lakeville
Jul. 14, 2008, 12:44 PM
xc eventing and completing the course without a helmet.. huhmm..Yes, before they had harnessed chin straps attached ..seems we managed to loose a few along the way!

RunForIt
Jul. 14, 2008, 02:21 PM
originally posted by RAyers:

To me, original eventing is dead. That sport no longer exists. What we have today is not an evolution. It is a mutation and we all are trying to figure out how we fit in the new discipline. So, the "old" folks tend to spend a lot of time together wondering what to do next. ;)

maybe that's why I can't find a fit...found eventing right when it was starting its spin towards fake. I'm off to my 40th HS reunion in another week - a great deal of yesteryear is still today for me...and I'm proud, and glad, for it. :cool:

Gry2Yng
Jul. 14, 2008, 02:49 PM
Breeches with SOCKS pulled up to the knee....what were half chaps???!!!!

LOL! I have a photo jumping in my backyard in tennis shoes, athletic socks pulled up to my knees over rust breeches and I am wearing a Dallas Cowboys baseball cap. Looks like I got the mare in WAY deep and she is jumping the snot out of the fence to get out of trouble. I think I am also jumping the fence backward.

My horse trailer was second hand homemade. Someone up the road welded it together from scrap metal. We pulled it with my dad's cadillac (8 cyls is 8 cyls). That ramp was SO heavy it took two adults to close it.

Sleeping in tents during the first two days of a show and having a hotel with a pool for Saturday night.

Riding in the equitation ring for Michael Page and getting second place at Pine Row.

Once my mare retired to broodmare status she would jump the pasture fence (4' no climb) every year when we brought her home from the stud farm (same one jumping backward above). County police would bring her home or put her in someone's barn for the night. My parents house is now adjacent to a 4 lane divided highway.

Gnep
Jul. 14, 2008, 03:46 PM
Long Hair
T-shirt as safety vest
plastic helmets for X-C and steel helmets for stadium and dressage without harness.

Led vests, or weight saddle blankets

weight ins and weight outs.

No official or certified CDs

3 feed of water in the water jump

No whip check
No spur check

X-C that were realy scary and long

Heuer Military Watch, so heavy you had to do weight training, good for at least 3 pieces of led ( still have mine, priceles )

Lisamarie8
Jul. 14, 2008, 04:53 PM
I'll see your tennis shoes, and raise you a bathing suit, shorts and chaps. How the hell did I make it through my teens?

Oh.Dear.Lord (http://www.radford.edu/~lgdehart/index_files/whiskey/whiskeyflies.jpg)

Oh.Dear.Lord, The Sequel. (http://www.radford.edu/~lgdehart/index_files/whiskey/mewhiskeywhitepinesjump.jpg) ... a bad idea no matter HOW you look at it (http://www.radford.edu/~lgdehart/index_files/whiskey/fron_whiskey_jump_WP.JPG). :rolleyes:

What the hell was I thinking? Not only is my weight EVERYWHERE but in my heels, but I dare say my helmet is both unapproved AND strapless. I was SMRT.

Gry2Yng
Jul. 14, 2008, 05:30 PM
I'll see your tennis shoes, and raise you a bathing suit, shorts and chaps. How the hell did I make it through my teens?

Oh.Dear.Lord (http://www.radford.edu/~lgdehart/index_files/whiskey/whiskeyflies.jpg)

Oh.Dear.Lord, The Sequel. (http://www.radford.edu/~lgdehart/index_files/whiskey/mewhiskeywhitepinesjump.jpg) ... a bad idea no matter HOW you look at it (http://www.radford.edu/~lgdehart/index_files/whiskey/fron_whiskey_jump_WP.JPG). :rolleyes:

What the hell was I thinking? Not only is my weight EVERYWHERE but in my heels, but I dare say my helmet is both unapproved AND strapless. I was SMRT.

OMG, my photos are so similar, I will have to scan and post them for you.

If you were riding in the 70's or even early 80's there was no such thing as "approved". I don't recall that chin straps started appearing until the late 70's or early 80's. The calientes had them, but not the velvet helmets. I sold tack starting in about 84, flexible brims came out before that and I think ASTM approved existed, but the rules did not require them. Had nothing to do with being smart. I worked for a fairly large tack shop and we didn't stock many, they were hard to fit and demand was pretty low. What we now as the "troxel" style came out in about 1995ish and they were also very hard to fit.

Gnep
Jul. 14, 2008, 05:41 PM
Yaiks,
I forgot my favored, points for fastes time in X-C, you talking afterburner.

Gnep
Jul. 14, 2008, 05:50 PM
About the sport today,
kinde boring, everything planed, groomed, X-C that don't dare you, waters that are puddels, no jumpst hat scare the living s out of you, no 3D only horse trials, no real goal to shoot for.
Sad

Mtn trails
Jul. 14, 2008, 10:00 PM
OMG, I had forgotten about taped braids!!
I remember using white "first aid" tape and the residue afterwards was hell !!
Where did that one start??!
White yarn braids on a chestnut horse...trying to find "latch hooks" in the crochet section of a fabric store to use as a "pull-thru" for yarn braids...( those wooden handled "Pull-thru/latchhooks were HIGH TECH, LOL!!)

Hey! I still use a latch hook as a pull through, is there anything else? Eventing at Caumsett Farm on Long Island back in the early-mid 80's. Is that one still going on? It was in October if I recall correctly. Loads of fun, my friend and I would enter the novice division, which was the lowest with me on my OTTB and she on her appy who would do the run, stop, jump all around x-c.

Hampa boots were the in thing, I had gum rubber bell boots, the Caliente, t-neck and sweater for x-c in my colors. I remember my horse running away with me on x-c at Thomas School and the thought of falling, never entered my brain. I just aimed her at the next jump and she was back. Those were the days, to be 20 something and fearless.

Lisamarie8
Jul. 14, 2008, 10:33 PM
OMG, my photos are so similar, I will have to scan and post them for you.

If you were riding in the 70's or even early 80's there was no such thing as "approved". I don't recall that chin straps started appearing until the late 70's or early 80's. The calientes had them, but not the velvet helmets. I sold tack starting in about 84, flexible brims came out before that and I think ASTM approved existed, but the rules did not require them. Had nothing to do with being smart. I worked for a fairly large tack shop and we didn't stock many, they were hard to fit and demand was pretty low. What we now as the "troxel" style came out in about 1995ish and they were also very hard to fit.

My shame is somehow reduced with the addition of company, thank you :D

We even made it into the hillbilly farms jumping clinic (http://members.surfbest.net/hillbilly@surfbest.net/critique_arc1.html). This was at Pleasant Hollow in the late 80's, not only is the fashion BEYOND questionable (snoopy, notice the bow on the helmet cover), the "equitation" is not done justice by ANY explanation...I am not ashamed. Wait, I kinda am. :p

I feel I must post a picture to show improvement. This was Ozzy and I (http://www.radford.edu/~lgdehart/index_files/Ozzy/side%20oxer.jpg) at the Sharon White Clinic in August.

BeverlyAStrauss
Jul. 14, 2008, 10:38 PM
Essex Horse Trials at the Haller's Hoopstick Farm....Golden Griffin (Fred) ridden by Roger, before Bruce got him........Ralph Hill on a hot grey mare named Marshmallow Rita......the year of the selection trials the rain and MUD!! actually Bedminster red clay!

Bobthehorse
Jul. 14, 2008, 10:59 PM
We still have "pre-training" in Canada! Its equivalent to Novice.

I started eventing in '99, so I know I cant really speak for "back in the day". But even then, almost 10 years ago, it was a much smaller crowd, everyone knew everyone, and no one showed up to an event with no knowledge of the rules/etiquette/skills/sense involved in eventing. I guess the sport was still too obscure for anyone to find out about it without someone involved getting them in. Like the island that no one can find except for those who already know where it is.

My coach (heyday in the 80's) has so many stories from that time, working for Stewart Black, back when he still lived in Canada. Mock hunting, trailer crashes, buying horses in England, old timey vet care, etc. She always evented in a hunt cap and rugby shirt (red/black/white, the pony club colours) and her old AP saddle, on her Standardbred gelding.

There is an event in Ontario that used to run a 3* and has been running at least 20 years now, and much of the old course is still there. Its pretty cool to know that half the jumps are older than I am.

EventerAgain
Jul. 15, 2008, 11:27 AM
Can only speak for Area VII, but how about when there were no or very few stalls to keep horses in? We camped out (OK, we still do), and our horses were in portable electric fence paddocks right next to our own tents! :winkgrin:

IFG
Jul. 15, 2008, 11:36 AM
Eventing at Caumsett Farm on Long Island back in the early-mid 80's. Is that one still going on? It was in October if I recall correctly. Loads of fun, my friend and I would enter the novice division, which was the lowest with me on my OTTB and she on her appy who would do the run, stop, jump all around x-c.

Hey, I was there! Riding an appendix QH. I remember one time leading in Novice. It was pouring rain. Between divisions, they moved the fences so that folks would have a decent take-off. We show jumped in reverse order, so I had to go last. There were huge mud holes at the take-off side of every jump. This was before routine use of studs. Every take-off was horrible. I was able to go cleanly to the side of every mudhole by jumping the side of every fence and had a nice jumping round up until the Swedish Oxer. There was no way to jump that except in the center, and we demolished it. Dropped to 5th.

Mtn trails
Jul. 15, 2008, 03:14 PM
Yes! I remember that year it was pouring rain and I also remember the mudhole take offs on every jump. One year, out on x-c I was barreling along and you had to go through a gap in the bushes on your way to the other section of the course. Just as I was approaching the gap, here's this family of three riding their bikes right across said gap!:eek: They just looked around with a vacant look while I yelled CLEAR THE COURSE! Not that it did any good. Luckily my horse was a saint and didn't spook when these morons appeared out of nowhere; and also lucky I didn't mow one of them down. I can't believe no one stopped these people before they got to the x-c course on their bikes.

I always thought the pom-poms on the helmet covers were dumb looking. And, yes, I used a flat as a pancake, close contact, Beval Gladstone for all three phases. I had that saddle for years and it was used when I bought it.

B-Man
Jul. 15, 2008, 04:02 PM
I remember getting a caliente and matching shirt for X-Mas with red/blue colors and thinking I had died and gone to heaven.

Stubben for all three phases. One bridle and plain snaffle for all phases...yeesh! Had great FAST XC times though...

Wanting but not getting Ulster boots...

Camping in tents at events to save $$$ and the horses staying in portable fencing set up around the trailer at events. Of course the horses got lose during the night...exciting!!!

New Market boots? Anyone else wear these? They went nicely with rust colored breeches.

Pre-training level and penalty areas around XC jumps.

Any old area VII people? from the early 80s?

Good memories for sure...great idea for a thread!

Holly

Maryalden
Jul. 15, 2008, 04:39 PM
Oh God, this thread brings back so many memories. I grew up competing in the late '70's through the mid 90's. My parents, Don and Edna Murray, owned and operated Wild Horse Valley Ranch. We hosted three HT's a year, and Jesus do I miss it! Yes, mom and dad are still alive and well, AND still living on the ranch. They've slowed down a bit, but are as feisty as ever.

What I remember:

Leather New

Ulster made a 1/2 pad that had that "honeycomb" stuff on the underside.

The Crosby"Eventer" saddle. It was bright orange, and no matter how much "Leather New" you applied, it remained bright orange.

All our halters and blankets were made by "Big D"

Roma saddle pads

Euro-Star breeches in EVERY color.

The Millers Catalog. We were a Millers dealer, and we orderd some pretty strange stuff.

Neoprene tail wraps

Rubber-lined (on the palms) gloves. The rubber would fall off after 2 days

Spray-on boot shine.

Really good competitors' parties

I know there are hundreds of other things that I'm forgetting, but thank you all for this "trip down memory lane."

Gunnar
Jul. 15, 2008, 04:49 PM
For those not british or from the "provinces" you might have to explain what a "numnah" is....;) But they were a vile colour.

Numnah was on the Big Spelling Bee this year! I did not know what it was but I do now! :lol:

Fergs
Jul. 15, 2008, 04:56 PM
I still have a full Ulster pad in my hayloft! And a set of Ulster boots, too.

Highlights for me include:

1. Calientes adorned with pom-pom hat covers; mine was in Pony Club colors, of course!

2. Rugby shirts

3. Colored reins

4. Clacking bell boots

5. Items 3 & 4 being taken away by my first BN trainer

6. Penalty zones

7. The 3-sided start box and having to have someone help you in (my mom STILL doesn't accept that entering the box isn't a problem)

8. Dressage really being despised and not very well executed by anyone

9. Insane drops and 3-foot-deep water complexes

10. Captain Edgars was mentioned on a thread a few weeks ago...they were the bomb!

11. Also Horses by Harmon photos, and getting actual prints in the mail with "PROOF" all over them. We discovered that bug spray took the ink off....and then they started punching holes in the proofs. Ha!

JoZ
Jul. 15, 2008, 05:03 PM
I'm not an eventer, but I am old, does that count?

I worked at many MANY events at Merry Meadow Farm in Bradford, VT. The day before the event, my sisters, friends and I marked ALL of the penalty zones with sawdust. We would start at the jump and pace off the distances, walking with a two-fisted handful of sawdust (we dragged the bag of sawdust from jump to jump). I think it was 10 strides out in front of the jump, then a 90-degree turn to walk another 10 strides away from the jump. Behind the jump it was 20 strides back, 10 over. Then drop the handful of sawdust.

Then I was a fence judge on XC day. I think they really did three-day events, though maybe the dressage and XC were on the same day, because I know I never did any work at the dressage rings. Sunday was stadium day; I did timing or reset jumps. Definitely saw a lot of pompoms and rugby shirts! They had the best low-level XC course with lots of permanent jumps -- little coffin, trakhener, water jump, etc. I had SOOOOO much fun!

Thanks for reminding me.

tuppysmom
Jul. 15, 2008, 07:34 PM
Good to hear that the Murrays are still around.

Wow, we had so much fun at Wild Horse. I remember the sign at the bottom of the hill on the road up to WH. It said. "Road not suitable for vehicles with trailers!" Haha

Remember one of the very last events where it rained 6 inches overnight and the clay, ( no grass at all- just clay) was so slick that you couldn't walk around. Our little horse had water nearly to his knees in his stall. People rode their dressage tests in Aussie Outback waxed coats. Talk about flapping! XC was cancelled, couldn't get there.

Also, I have several pairs of Ulster boots just hanging out in a trunk waiting to come back into fashion, also have one of those green canvas rugs somewhere around here. The calienties got sold to some poor exercise ride at the local race track when we moved up to the early approved model. Still use the clacky peddle boots, so sorry but the last foreva.

We did tie out at events With A Stallion!! He was such a good boy. Camped in a tent, I am so over that phase of my life.

snoopy
Jul. 15, 2008, 07:50 PM
Camped in a tent, I am so over that phase of my life.

I hear you sista!!! Old Snoops will only lay his head where there is a shower, bed, and hopefully roomservice.:yes:

Jazzy Lady
Jul. 15, 2008, 07:55 PM
I jumped my horse and I's first irish bank a few months ago... it was a little daunting galloping up to it, but what a fun challenge! My horse (VERY modern horse, is very spooky over old style courses) was a little confusled by it, but was incredibly awesome about it. I was climbing up it on my course walk thinking to myself... "how the H$!! does a horse get up on this thing?" lol.

BarbB
Jul. 15, 2008, 08:26 PM
When I was young I was riding western. Boots, jeans, no helmet, hat for shows only. I'll date myself here....someone may recognize the era. I did reining. We wore pressed jeans with a crease, white shirts, tooled belt, fancy stitched boots. Horses wore short manes and short tails.
Lots of fun. I do remember some elbow flapping .....I still think it makes them go faster. :D I was glad to find out many years later that I didn't look out of place in jumpers flapping my elbows. :lol:

applechick
Jul. 15, 2008, 08:32 PM
Flashback to memory lane...

Does anyone remember a 3-day event in the Central Coast area of California at Hidden Valley Ranch? I was very young but it was a huge deal and was really popular in the 70s. It was near Paso Robles.

I was a jump judge there once (I was about 9) and we took lessons over the obstacles.

Maryalden
Jul. 15, 2008, 09:14 PM
I remember Hidden Valley! You had to stable at the Paso Robles fairgrounds, then trailer in for the competition. Actually, I think at the first few events dressage was held at the fairgrounds. There were very nice, beautifully built fences. I remember the HILLS, and the TD telling us on the offical course walk, "To watch out for ticks. It was a great event.

My brother, Angus, my sisters, Sasha, and Piper and I once won a team award there. I think we were the only team comprised entirely of siblings. We had a ball. I have pictures of all us standing side-by-side in our matching horrible shirts. More importantly, we all went cross-country with our whips in our boots. Aah, the good ol' days!

Does anyone remember an inflatable half-pad? There was an air valve on the top, and you inflated it like a pool toy. It was the damndest thing. I used minefor years.

denny
Jul. 16, 2008, 07:01 AM
Remember these old friends?
HLM Van Schaik, Sister and Albert Gould, Loyd and Stella Reeves, Betty Booth, Read and Essie Perkins, Gen Fuddy Wing, Stuart Treviranus, Col Appleton, Ruth Ferguson, Eilene Wilmot, Eddie Hogan, Jack Meagher, Charlotte Read, Bill Shallow, Joe Mc Laughlin ------

Doornhof Farm, Shepley Hill, Your Father`s Moustache, ---------

snoopy
Jul. 16, 2008, 07:48 AM
Denny

You brought up an interesting angle to this thread...that of the PEOPLE who were on the journey. Thanks for that.

Auburn
Jul. 16, 2008, 08:07 AM
I did my first "B" Rally at Midland.

There was a "Pre-Training" division in the late '60's in Area III. The height was 2'6"and it ran at 350 mpm. Training was 3'3" and ran at 400 mpm. Prelim was 3'6" and ran at 500 mpm.

My first event was at Cahaba. I was second, after dressage, went clean x-country and then fell off at the first fence in stadium. :winkgrin:

Remember Pat Thuss? Mrs. R.N. Whitehurst at Timber Acres Ranch? When I joined North River PC, Peg W. was my DC. Wendy Morris Ely was our instructor. Her Dad was Howard Morris, who judged dressage all over the South.

Wash Bishop was riding in Cahaba's PC. His sister, Becky, was a great rider, too. They always beat us. They had Major Bela Buttykay for their instructor. He was a great teacher.

I had a caliente, which was smelly and beaten up, when I finally tossed it.

My Steubben Siegfried was used for all three phases. If I tried to ride in a Hunter/Jumper show, I was immediately marked as an "eventer", because I didn't have a Prix de Nations saddle.

Our PC saddle pads were kelly green, because our colors were green and yellow. I still have one of those, though I don't use it.

I, too, remember the 3' vertical with a slide on the landing, tiger traps, 5' tall bull finches, picnic tables and a particular oxer on top of a 3' drop, across a hard dirt road (that had not been packed with sand), one stride to a 3'6" vertical and on to the finish flags. For those of you who rode in the "B" rally in Tallahassee, back in '72 or '73, you might remember that one?

Snoopy,
Thanks for the memories!

Jul. 16, 2008, 08:48 AM
Does anyone remember an inflatable half-pad? There was an air valve on the top, and you inflated it like a pool toy. It was the damndest thing. I used minefor years.

Funny! I evented in the 70's. but the first I saw an inflatable pad was "recently" at Burghley, in '98. The vendor claimed Mark Todd rode all the horses in his yard in one.

Does anyone still make those? I loved mine - really did help tweak fit, even if it looked like large insects (the valves) were riding behind the saddle.

Jul. 16, 2008, 08:55 AM
Oh God, this thread brings back so many memories. I grew up competing in the late '70's through the mid 90's. My parents, Don and Edna Murray, owned and operated Wild Horse Valley Ranch. We hosted three HT's a year, and Jesus do I miss it! Yes, mom and dad are still alive and well, AND still living on the ranch. They've slowed down a bit, but are as feisty as ever."

I grew up eventing there! And did so in a Caliente. And, come to think of it, I think in black rubber riding boots.

And yes, we loved that sign at the end of the hill that said trailers not recommended!

applechick
Jul. 16, 2008, 10:24 AM
I remember Hidden Valley! You had to stable at the Paso Robles fairgrounds, then trailer in for the competition. Actually, I think at the first few events dressage was held at the fairgrounds. There were very nice, beautifully built fences. I remember the HILLS, and the TD telling us on the offical course walk, "To watch out for ticks. It was a great event.

Hooray! I was really hoping someone would remember the Hidden Valley Horse Trials. :) It was a very big deal for that area in that time. And ticks---they didn't tell you it was mountain lion & rattlesnake territory! And the water element was a natural creek.

I grew up in Hidden Valley Ranch and when the Craigs hosted the trials (x-c & stadium were on their property and they had the jumps constructed) everyone on the ranch pulled together to help make it happen. The effort was fantastic and I have tons of memories even though I didn't compete (those memories are why I ride today). Eventually dressage moved into the arena behind a house at the bottom of that big hill/driveway.

All the jumps are STILL there (old and neglected). Stone wall, giant's table, banks, barn door (that big brown cutout window jump), etc.--everything-- as there were very few portables. But after Willis Craig passed away the new owners built their house in the middle of the the main part of the course. Right where stadium jumping was staged.

As for attire, I was young---can't add much but memories. I was an English rider at heart in serious Western territory. When schooling over those jumps I wore the velvet helmet with the tiny strip of elastic under the chin, britches, and...cowboy boots. Wow, I didn't realize how much I miss it.

webmistress32
Jul. 16, 2008, 10:59 AM
wearing my rust breeches, caliente, rugby shirt, and marlborough boots on my roman-nosed Pony Club mount with the dropped noseband, rope girth and all purpose saddle in a Pony Club clinic with Denny Emerson and Bruce Davidson at Dornhof Farm in Shaftsbury Vermont

:-D :-D

Maryalden
Jul. 16, 2008, 12:44 PM
I'm glad to hear that the jumps at Hidden Valley are still there. There was a beautiful stonewall/bench that had hand-carved horse heads on each side. They resembled chess pieces. It always rode really well.

The cross-country at Wild Horse is completely planted in grapes (much more lucrative than horses, I guess). Ironically, the only fence still standing is, Mt. Edna. My father had such fun telling competitors that all they had to do was, "Ride in and out of Edna." Dad had a bit of a twisted sense of humor, which thankfully I inherited.:)

OK, now an Area VI trivia test: Who remembers the Concord Mt. Diablo Event? It was great. Everyone camped, and there was THE best pizza place in Clayton. It was my first "real" event, And I was eliminated in all three phases.

And! Who remembers these Area VI stalwarts: Eric and Jan Mueller, dear Pete Costello, Marion and Pat Humphries, Don Sullivan, Billy Linfoot, Andrew Cleminson (our announcer for years), Sue Sally Hale and her brood, Lyn Preovolos, Caroline Booth, Allan Fredrickson, and Linda Waltenspiel:(. The list goes on....

Kanga
Jul. 16, 2008, 11:14 PM
Concord Mt. Diablo - Have not heard that one for a long time! Wild Horse was my first "real" event that I ever ran and I'm pretty sure Concord Mt. Diablo was my second. Maryalden, I think I can beat you on this one. This was back when you could have "LOTS" of penalty points and still not get eliminated.....

1st Wild Horse- I decided I would wear blue/white socks over my boots to match my pony club colors (Marin County Pony Club). I think I must have had close to one or two refusals at every fence and I fell off twice but still caught the horse and managed to finish and got one of those cute little pins you used to give out. The penalties were somewhere in the high 200's.

Concord Mt. Diablo- Thought I had my act together by this event. BUT, managed to get around clear X/C only to be told when I crossed the finish line I was eliminated for unauthorized assistance. Someone yelled out on course GO(name)GO....GO... I didn't really think they did that to you but they did!

Those were the days, I miss how much fun it used to be even when you were not coming home in the ribbons. This was such a great time to be around in Eventing, I wish we could get back to the feeling of those times.

Maryalden
Jul. 17, 2008, 05:52 PM
It was the comraderie...we were younger, we had fewer responsiblities, and eventing was FUN, you could take a semi-decent school horse, kick it around novice, and still place. It was just a simpler time for the sport.

But! Kanga, I still have you beat in the "worst ever event" competition. My first event I 1) Jumped out of the dressage ring. Big E.2) Jumped a wrong fence on x-country. Big E. And then 3)went before the whistle in stadium. Big E again. Neeedless to say I got a ration of S##t from my family. I was only 9, and I've been in therapy ever since. :lol:

Kanga
Jul. 17, 2008, 09:12 PM
Maryalden-

Ok, you got me there! Don't think I have ever gotten the big E in all 3-phases at an Event before! Those were the days when you could have that big E and they would so kindly let you continue.

Did you really start therapy when you were 9???
I thought it was earlier than that! We should have gone together.

HappyTalk
Jul. 17, 2008, 10:06 PM
My first horse trial was at Waterloo Hunt in Grass Lake, MI. in the '80's. I did all 3 phases in a Prix de Saute close contact saddle!!! A picture of me show jumping illustrated the local newspaper story that year.

Gry2Yng
Jul. 17, 2008, 11:20 PM
I remember when the prix de nations and seigfried were the BOMB! I traded my dad's western saddle for a crosby without asking. Boy was my dad MAD! Had to beg to undo the trade.

I wanted a NZ rug as well. Dad said no. We did not blanket our horses, no reason to, we didn't ride much in the winter except to bound over snow drifts.

wabadou
Jul. 18, 2008, 11:21 AM
When I was young I was riding western. Boots, jeans, no helmet, hat for shows only. I'll date myself here....someone may recognize the era. I did reining. We wore pressed jeans with a crease, white shirts, tooled belt, fancy stitched boots. Horses wore short manes and short tails.
Lots of fun. I do remember some elbow flapping .....I still think it makes them go faster. :D I was glad to find out many years later that I didn't look out of place in jumpers flapping my elbows. :lol:

Too funny!! I showed AQHA in the early 80's (about the same time you are talking about?) when they were still trying to throw English tack on the chunky Western Pleasure horses to try and get English Pleasure points on them. They all went in Kimberwicke's, couldn't move out at the trot and nobody braided because nobody knew how. I remember being a "revolutionary" riding my QH gelding in a snaffle and braiding (had shown hunter ponies and horse trials growing up). We cleaned up. We changed into western tack at the lunch break and entered all the western classes ( except Western Pleasure, pointless...:) to try to win the All Around ( Hi point) trophies. Reining was a blast!!
Now all the reiners have switched back and let their horses mane get long I think....

wabadou
Jul. 18, 2008, 11:26 AM
My first horse trial was at Waterloo Hunt in Grass Lake, MI. in the '80's. I did all 3 phases in a Prix de Saute close contact saddle!!! A picture of me show jumping illustrated the local newspaper story that year.

I did a "comeback" horse trial ( after a 6 year hiatus to show at the AQHA shows) in a Prix Des Nation "flat" saddle,( close contact) all 3 phases, myself :lol:. No padding, basically just a totally plain flap between you and the horse and flaps too forward for your leg to be in the proper position for dressage and nothing holding anything in place for cross country :D
Too funny..:)

wabadou
Jul. 18, 2008, 11:41 AM
I did my first "B" Rally at Midland.

There was a "Pre-Training" division in the late '60's in Area III. The height was 2'6"and it ran at 350 mpm. Training was 3'3" and ran at 400 mpm. Prelim was 3'6" and ran at 500 mpm.

Wash Bishop was riding in Cahaba's PC. His sister, Becky, was a great rider, too. They always beat us. They had Major Bela Buttykay for their instructor. He was a great teacher.

I had a caliente, which was smelly and beaten up, when I finally tossed it.

My Steubben Siegfried was used for all three phases. If I tried to ride in a Hunter/Jumper show, I was immediately marked as an "eventer", because I didn't have a Prix de Nations saddle.

Snoopy,
Thanks for the memories!

Auburn,
That was a little before my time (started riding in Area III in the 70's) but a lot of those people were still around. I was a member of the Midland Foxhounds pony club right after Ann Hardaway Taylor and some other great riders came through and I do remember several of the people you mentioned. C Rally was as far as I got and it was still being held at Midland. The Midland Pony club is still active, just smaller and the Midland showgrounds site is so riddled with armadillo holes:( (no armadilloes in GA yet back in the 70's and 80's!), a lot of it is no longer safe to ride across, especially at speed. Some of the old cross country jumps are still standing and the stabling area stalls are still standing.

4cornersfarm
Jul. 18, 2008, 02:37 PM
Remember these old friends?
HLM Van Schaik, Sister and Albert Gould, Loyd and Stella Reeves, Betty Booth, Read and Essie Perkins, Gen Fuddy Wing, Stuart Treviranus, Col Appleton, Ruth Ferguson, Eilene Wilmot, Eddie Hogan, Jack Meagher, Charlotte Read, Bill Shallow, Joe Mc Laughlin ------

Doornhof Farm, Shepley Hill, Your Father`s Moustache, ---------

I rode my first cross country clinic with Tad Coffin at Shepley Hill. We jumped over that big oil tank on top of the hill in the orchard. I was terrified.

Other area one events from my time period - Andover Horse Center (Kim Meier,) Driftaway Cody Farm (north shore of Massachusetts,) Little Brook Farm - these were all lower level events, I was just starting out then. :)
I also ran an event at my farm for a few years - Runaway Farm, now a dressage barn.

You can still jump some of the old jumps at Shepley, there's a hunter pace put on by the Nashoba Valley hunt that uses some of the old trails on what used to be Shepley Hill's land. I was at a Pony Club rating last summer lamenting to Betsey Reeves how disappointed I was to miss that hunter pace and she said the jumps are looking kind of sad anyway. :(

Tux61096
Jul. 18, 2008, 08:47 PM
. . .
Other area one events from my time period - Andover Horse Center (Kim Meier,) Driftaway Cody Farm (north shore of Massachusetts,) Little Brook Farm - these were all lower level events, I was just starting out then. :)
I also ran an event at my farm for a few years - Runaway Farm, now a dressage barn. . .

My family's property bordered Driftway Cody Farm, so as a kid I used to go out and jump the xc jumps, sometimes I even had a saddle on ;). When they ran their events, my pony & I would collect scores from the fence judges, it was a blast. Ray Denis is a TD; sometimes I run into him when volunteering.

Whisper
Jul. 18, 2008, 09:13 PM
Hey, I like rust breeches! I wore mine in a couple of H/J and eventing competitions in the past couple of years. I've jumped XC fences, when walking my courses, and sometimes with a horse in hand. :D I finally found a use for my childhood habit of cantering like a horse, too - we use it when mounting when vaulting at the canter.

wabadou
Jul. 19, 2008, 09:00 PM
Hey, I like rust breeches! I wore mine in a couple of H/J and eventing competitions in the past couple of years. I've jumped XC fences, when walking my courses, and sometimes with a horse in hand. :D I finally found a use for my childhood habit of cantering like a horse, too - we use it when mounting when vaulting at the canter.

Isn't it funny, rust and canary breeches which used to be mainstream are now nowhere to be found?!! my first pair of breeches were canary...!

Hannahsmom
Jul. 19, 2008, 10:05 PM
I rode my first cross country clinic with Tad Coffin at Shepley Hill. We jumped over that big oil tank on top of the hill in the orchard. I was terrified.

I still have a t-shirt from Shepley Hill. I think it was '89.

And I still have pics from Mumford Farm in the '80s. I *loved* that place. They had a jump that was a sheep's pen on XC!

IFG
Jul. 21, 2008, 09:01 AM
My daughter was watching International Velvet last night, and I sat down to watch the final sequence at what was supposed to be the Olympics (but I think that it was Ledyard).

Anyhow, I was stuck by how much things have changed from the time that that was filmed to now. Same as comments made on this thread. I don't know if there is any going back, but I know that the spirit of the sport described in these posts and seen in that movie are totally different from what I see now and hear on this board. It used to be about finishing and holding up in the face of adversity. Tatum O'Neal rides with a broken collarbone and is applauded. Her first concern is not to hurt the horse, but she doesn't care pain for herself. Is that good, I don't know, but I do applaud the spirit of it.

Her husband to be has one stop and that is considered a good round. I remember when that was a good round. Things have definitely changed.

The courses were fast and forward. I look at Advanced courses now, and they are so technical it is unappealing to watch. Maybe I am an anachronism, but the down and dirty feel and the sheer sticktoittiveness that used to be eventing is gone. I am older and have lost some of that too, but as a sport, eventing no longer encourages that attitude. If we don't have that attitude, what do we have to distinguish us from other horse sport?

Whisper
Jul. 21, 2008, 09:24 AM
Isn't it funny, rust and canary breeches which used to be mainstream are now nowhere to be found?!! my first pair of breeches were canary...!

I think Yellowbritches still wears canary ones. :D

I just bought my rust breeches a couple of years ago. I love them, since they don't show dirt well, and I think they're more flattering than the tan or white ones. I still use the chocolate brown ones with rust knee patches I've had for 20 years. The fabric is pilling a bit, but they're otherwise in good shape. :) I don't show in them, though.

snoopy
Jul. 21, 2008, 11:39 AM
[QUOTE=IFG;3376278]My daughter was watching International Velvet last night, and I sat down to watch the final sequence at what was supposed to be the Olympics (but I think that it was Ledyard).

Tatum O'Neal rides with a broken collarbone and is applauded.

QUOTE]

FYI:

She "rides" with a dislocated shoulder...
The Olympic sequence was filmed at Burghley.

But I am on board with your entire post...the feeling just is not the same anymore..

Thomas_1
Jul. 21, 2008, 11:44 AM
What a load of young whipper-snappers.

Silk hat covers and rugby shirts be damned..... you were lucky.

When I was a lad for cross country it was a little velvet hat perched on top held under my chin with elastic band and I was forced to wear a cardigan that my gran knitted and with matching socks! And the "look" was topped off with wool jodhpurs with huge wings on the sides! Very fetching ;)

Oh and I wasn't allowed to use the hat for everyday in case it got damaged!

BaroquePony
Jul. 21, 2008, 11:49 AM
I agree that something has changed.

Flame me, but I actually don't really like the idea of the frangible pin, breakaway jump thing, and I am a proponent of safety. Or at least I like to think I am.

I really don't know about the new polypropolene (if that's the right material and spelling) logs that are light and they disintigrate (somehow).

Horses can sense when something is solid.

Being the silly idealist that I am, I was hoping to see some thought put into developing better horsemanship practices and skills in todays society.

IFG
Jul. 21, 2008, 12:42 PM
[QUOTE=IFG;3376278]My daughter was watching International Velvet last night, and I sat down to watch the final sequence at what was supposed to be the Olympics (but I think that it was Ledyard).

Tatum O'Neal rides with a broken collarbone and is applauded.

QUOTE]

FYI:

She "rides" with a dislocated shoulder...
The Olympic sequence was filmed at Burghley.

But I am on board with your entire post...the feeling just is not the same anymore..

Thanks for the clarification. We looked at the credits at the end, but they were pretty uninformative.

I am with Baroque Pony. I don't have an answer. I promote public health. That's what I do for a living, but here I am saying that I miss the seat of your pants, gung-ho riding style. You can only legislate so much. We seem to have over-legislated eventing until it is no longer about fun and finishing, but it is about competition and riding only when you can be perfect. Maybe it is because I will never be perfect, but I miss the old way of doing things. In those days it was about addressing adversity and getting back on and finishing anyway.

I certainly want a safer sport, but not at the expense of the spirit of the game.

three_dayer
Jul. 21, 2008, 06:56 PM
i have some handme down canary britches...im gonna have to dig them out...i just found my old caliente...yea, my mom got ahold of it and chucked it :( oh well...miss wild horse, that was definatly an adventure getting to the top...having to unload the horses at the bottom of the hill cause the truck can't pull the trailer up the hill...

lizathenag
Jul. 21, 2008, 07:01 PM
no saddle pad
flat tack
elastic chin stap on helmet

IFG
Jul. 21, 2008, 07:04 PM

I still have my first pair of twill canary hunt breeches (which I never hunted in--just used for shows). On a good day, I can still get them on. Of course, they used to be baggy and flaired, and now I sort of fill them, but what the hay....:cool:

Brigitte
Jul. 21, 2008, 08:26 PM
I still have two of the Ulster pads, an all purpose and a dressage. A neighbor was getting rid of them and I grabbed them. Both still usable and my old horse loved them!

Any Midwesterners remember the Wisconsin events at Hoofbeat Ridge and Hungry Horse? Also one other and I can't remember the name of it for the life of me. I used to sleep in the back of my truck (had one of those old Aluminum camper tops on it). No motels in those days. The only scary time was having a tornado just a few miles from Hoofbeat late one night. The truck was rocking and rolling from the wind.

It seems like QHs were about all you would see around here at events. There was always a "token" Appy or two also. (Mine being one of them!)