PDA

View Full Version : Tueflesberg? What happened?

findeight
Oct. 6, 2007, 05:18 PM
Just caught the tail end of the Keeneland telecast-was there a collision? Did something go down in front of him?

Two fractured sesamoids and at Rood and Riddle, the other wasn't so "lucky".

What the heck happened? Jocks OK?

Norcrest
Oct. 6, 2007, 05:27 PM
I just watched the replay on calracing...Teuflesberg was 3rd and looks like he took a bad step...and then while he was waiting for the van to pick him up, he got away and was running free.
The other horse Dream of Angels I believe flipped before the race and was put down.

ArtilleryHill
Oct. 6, 2007, 05:32 PM
was the horse that flipped in the paddock and was euthanized.

Lynnwood
Oct. 6, 2007, 05:32 PM
Now there is a 3rd a two year old . Broke down shortly into the race. Gold something? They were loading him on the tailer and had him splinted the track Doc was saying it was closed but looked more unstable then Tueflesburgs injury.

What the F#$% so much for how fantastic polytrack is :confused:

findeight
Oct. 6, 2007, 05:38 PM
And they said a track worker had his foot run over by the ambulance, headed to the hospital for X-rays.

One flipped and had to be put down? TBerg got loose and was running free on essentially a broken ankle? Track worker hurt?

OMG what a disasterous opening day. Nightmare-see little to do with polyturf here. They are still going to take bad steps-the flip over is awful. Biggest crowd of the year there too.

Any condition updates from R&R? I kind of like that horse.

Lynnwood
Oct. 6, 2007, 05:43 PM
Adding I know its not "really" the polytracks fault. Just and aweful day..so far. :sadsmile::mad:

RainyDayRide
Oct. 6, 2007, 05:50 PM
Now there is a 3rd a two year old . Broke down shortly into the race. Gold something?

Golden Train

findeight
Oct. 6, 2007, 05:51 PM
Ya know, this may be a little like the Del Mar situation over the summer.

It is 90+ and has been for the last couple of days. Weeks and weeks of 90s and NO where near a decent rain in an area that gets an inch or so a week in the summer. Area officially in severe drought.

Maybe the polytrack does, in fact, not do so well in hot dry weather when the base gets dry-only so much water you can put down on a track. The rings at many show barns are crap because the base is so dry-despite multiple waterings and all, just underperforming. I dunno but it's a thought.

Or maybe the two misteps had slight and undiagnosed pre exsisting problems that just needed a little bad luck. Something in good supply today at Keeneland.:no:

texang73
Oct. 6, 2007, 06:06 PM
Sounds like T'burg will be operated on and his ankle fused to be able to do stud duty...

Gold Train was put down.:(

Glimmerglass
Oct. 6, 2007, 06:21 PM
What the F#$% so much for how fantastic polytrack is :confused:

It never was sold to be the magic bullet for fixing the world's ills. In the case of Dream of Angels his "breakdown" if you will was on a rubberized matting in his stall. Go figure.

The fact is you have horses who don't always change leads properly, who do get too close and clip heels, who take bad steps, who slice in between others, who run without logic in packs, and at 35 mph there are going be breakdowns and the like.

I have been a huge fan of Teuflesberg [note the spelling] and hope that he'll be saved. He was a hard working guy that nobody thought much of when he went to auction and proved people wrong as to his talents. He was and remains an underdog in a world of overpriced marginaly talented horses getting all the press and glory.

Kenike
Oct. 6, 2007, 07:02 PM
I have been a huge fan of Teuflesberg [note the spelling] and hope that he'll be saved. He was a hard working guy that nobody thought much of when he went to auction and proved people wrong as to his talents. He was and remains an underdog in a world of overpriced marginaly talented horses getting all the press and glory.

I echo this sentiment

grayarabs
Oct. 6, 2007, 07:23 PM
I watched - all very sad. Pray Tberg will do well in surgery and recover for stud duty.
I don't understand - how did he get loose after his jockey jumped off and was holding him?

Lynnwood
Oct. 6, 2007, 07:27 PM
Just a sad day. Did I hear right that this was only the 2 year old Gold Trains 2nd start? :sadsmile::sadsmile:

Texarkana
Oct. 6, 2007, 08:08 PM
Jingles for Teuflesberg!

What a horrible opening day at Keenland... what is it with opening days and breakdowns latey?

texang73
Oct. 6, 2007, 08:27 PM
Just a sad day. Did I hear right that this was only the 2 year old Gold Trains 2nd start? :sadsmile::sadsmile:

Yeah, I heard that too... :(

halo
Oct. 6, 2007, 08:28 PM
Why does everyone keep saying it was opening day? It was not; yesterday was opening day.

Tiempo
Oct. 6, 2007, 08:29 PM
Jingles for the guy, I do like him.

What a sad opening day.

Tiempo
Oct. 6, 2007, 08:30 PM
Why does everyone keep saying it was opening day? It was not; yesterday was opening day.

Oops, sorry.

dressagetraks
Oct. 6, 2007, 08:48 PM
Jingles. I never thought synthetic track could fix everything, but I hate hearing of days like this.

Stuff does happen. I was given a ticket to the 87 Derby as a graduation present. I was up the grandstand from the finish line but near the fence, that bleachers section, just about where Bet Twice knocked Alysheba's legs out from under him. Disaster averted, could have easily gone the other way, and just heat of competition. But my heart is still in my throat watching the replay even years later on video.

And I never can rewatch the last 16th of the 1990 Distaff. I saw it the first time. Once was more than enough.

Were the jockeys okay today?

miss_critic
Oct. 6, 2007, 08:50 PM
It is ironic what happened to Teuflesberg in light of all the disagreements that have been going on between the owners. I know there are a lot of folks that have questioned Jamie Sanders' training of this horse and the other owners wanted to sell him...this has to be a kick in the pants for her. Regardless of all that, I bet she is torn to bits over this.

For those of you that missed the coverage, Jeanine Edwards reported that horsemen from around the track (or something like that) noted that they thought the horse didn't look right (again, something like that) when they saw him on the track a few days ago, or working...or, something like that.....

What a crummy day. What crummy coverage too. I can't believe ESPN STILL has all those sound problems and this new host does nothing for me, infact he is totally annoying.
Anyways, I hope Teuflesberg recovers well-such a gorgeous horse.

2boys
Oct. 6, 2007, 08:52 PM
I am new to these discussions, so forgive me if I am being repetitive. However, I can't help but wonder if the accidents/injuries are becoming more frequent on the race tracks. I could be way off base-please correct me if I am wrong.

miss_critic
Oct. 6, 2007, 09:03 PM
I can't help but wonder if the accidents/injuries are becoming more frequent on the race tracks.

I am going to go with no on that one.

Slewdledo
Oct. 6, 2007, 09:04 PM
Not to sidetrack this - I was a BIG fan of Teuflesberg's - but no, injuries are not on the rise. Trainers are worse. Drugs (legal and non) are rampant. We're breeding for quarter-mile speed and prettiness, not stamina and ability. Polytrack isn't the answer for any of those.

And shame on ESPN for reporting hearsay. SHAME ON THEM.

2boys
Oct. 6, 2007, 09:12 PM
Okay, well that is a relief then.

DLee
Oct. 6, 2007, 11:53 PM
We were there today for a very short time, as it was just too hot and way too crowded. I am very relieved we missed all of that. :(

I know they were considering changing the saddling and walking ring arrangements to keep the crowd away... this should pretty much ensure that that happens.

BasqueMom
Oct. 7, 2007, 12:05 PM
Any updates--there has been nothing on Thoroughbred Times or Bloodhorse web sites
that I can find about the accident.

DLee
Oct. 7, 2007, 12:16 PM
In the paper today http://kentucky.com/303/story/196177.html

Lynnwood
Oct. 7, 2007, 12:37 PM
Not to hijack the thread. Why does it seem that sesamoid injuries are so common. What causes them and how can we as a racing community fans, breeders, trainers, jocks help to stop them.

Seems like while running that is the bone that go's most often. While misteps take their fair share of fetlocks and cannon bones. It that area of the leg the most stressed during running?

Are most break downs due to misteps and falls? Or are the more often caused by horses straining at the limits of their speed and endurance?

Not looking for a train wreck...just curious!

grayarabs
Oct. 7, 2007, 12:57 PM
I wish they could have tried to save Gold Train - but I guess it was not possible.
Wondering - are racehorses routinely x-rayed to see if anything looks suspect - to detect anything leading to possible future breakdowns? I think if I had a racehorse I would x-ray on a regular basis - knees/cannon bones on down.

holmes
Oct. 7, 2007, 01:16 PM
Their legs are felt about twice a day - that would show most problems.

haligator
Oct. 7, 2007, 01:26 PM
Hi All,
Yesterday was horrible - by the time Gold Train broke down I was running to the bathroom to barf (sorry if that is TMI for a lot of you).

First, Dream of Angels, then Teuflesberg, and finally Gold Train.

Don't get me wrong - I've seen unknown horses break down, but this was starting to echo in my head like the 1990 Breeders Cup at Belmont (Shaker Knit, Mr. Nickerson, and Go For Wand). I was there when Ruffian broke down (1975) in The Great Match Race, and when Exogenous flipped at yet another Belmont Breeders Cup (2001). I know breakdowns are part of the sport but I was overwhelmed yesterday.

And, I think it is fair to point out that Teuflesberg is a long way from out of the woods. Fusing an ankle is no picnic with the complications that can arise....but I'm hoping for the best.

I'm not going to get into polytrack type surfaces vs. traditional, but you've got to remember that long range results are a long way off on polytrack 'type' footing....I said long range, not short range.

And, if I could have leapt through the TV and strangled Jeanine Edwards for uttering hearsay about the training of one of the horses, I'd have done it. How DARE she second guess a trainer, track vets, and stewards (which is what the hearsay indirectly inferred)? Incredibly stupid and unprofessional.

As far as the rest of the broadcasters, some very soft words and farewells would have gone a long way. I'm surprised at each of them. More kindness might have gone a long way to help both experiences racing fans as well as the newbies.

I'm very upset,

Hallie McEvoy
Racing Dreams, LLC

LyndaPellitteri31
Oct. 7, 2007, 05:37 PM
Looks like Tueflesburgh will have surgery in the next day or two. He was given blood thinners to help lower leg blood flow, 75% chance of having long-term recovery....

Barnfairy
Oct. 7, 2007, 07:59 PM
Not to hijack the thread. Why does it seem that sesamoid injuries are so common. What causes them and how can we as a racing community fans, breeders, trainers, jocks help to stop them.

Seems like while running that is the bone that go's most often. While misteps take their fair share of fetlocks and cannon bones. It that area of the leg the most stressed during running?

Are most break downs due to misteps and falls? Or are the more often caused by horses straining at the limits of their speed and endurance?

Not looking for a train wreck...just curious!The location and function of the sesamoids make them prone to injury, further exacerbated by long toes / low heels / honking toe grabs on shoes. The two little bones act like a pulley for the tendons/ligaments, which are put under a great deal of strain at speed. Not only can that area of the leg easily get clipped by other hooves, the horse's leg flexes so much during the weightbearing phase at the gallop that the sesamoid area can practically touch the ground -- especially for horses with long pasterns.

Flypony
Oct. 7, 2007, 08:39 PM
I wish they could have tried to save Gold Train - but I guess it was not possible.
Wondering - are racehorses routinely x-rayed to see if anything looks suspect - to detect anything leading to possible future breakdowns? I think if I had a racehorse I would x-ray on a regular basis - knees/cannon bones on down.
Do you routinely get x-rays? Probably not. They cannot show a misstep anyway. Race horses are gone over everyday with a finetooth comb, things do not get missed or overlooked on graded stakes winners. Probably we look for things wrong, that are not there. Anything suspicious is x-rayed or ultrasounded. Sometimes the kindest thing you can do is put them down, as in the case of Gold Train, we could only be so lucky.

Glimmerglass
Oct. 8, 2007, 09:03 AM
And shame on ESPN for reporting hearsay. SHAME ON THEM.

Others too have said this as well and I have to concur. It was far out of line to repeat essentialy barn banter on a nationally broadcasted event. I like Jeannine Edwards and think her skills as an interviewer are excellent, but off the cuff remarks aren't welcomed no matter who the reporter is.

Was ESPN just trying to fill air space and keep their audience informed - sure - but you cannot whatsoever do that with illinformed conjecture regarding workouts, mere visual inspection and prior scratches. Every day the backstretch is full of people willing to take a swipe at other's horses. ESPN easily could be looking at a lawsuit. The remarks effectively (1) called into question the care and decision making of Jamie, et al and (2) could hamper Teuflesberg's future stud value by having a suggest cloud of "not being fit" for breeding.

The action this weekend - putting aside the unfortunate misery - was brilliant. Some of the best racing day after day and both here in the States and across the pond in a long time!

Lynnwood
Oct. 8, 2007, 10:35 AM
Im not sure if ESPN televised two days of racing or if I was just watching races I missed Sat. But the ones I watched at Keenland yesterday were brillant. Lots of good strech drives and battles.

:D

Slewdledo
Oct. 8, 2007, 03:24 PM
The latest I can find:
http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/national-news/2007/October/08/Teuflesberg-given-75-chance-to-survive-injury.aspx

Surgery for Grade 2 winner Teuflesberg was postponed on Monday at Rood & Riddle Equine Hospital in Lexington to allow the three-year-old Johannesburg colt’s white blood cell count to recover.

Teuflesberg took a bad step and was pulled up during the $200,000 Phoenix Stakes (G3) at Keeneland Race Course on Saturday. The colt fractured both sesamoids in his left front leg.

He will not race again, but there is hope he could serve stallion duty as early as next year, said trainer Jamie Sanders.

“He was scheduled for surgery at [1 p.m.] today, but Dr. [Larry] Bramlage didn’t think his white blood cell count was where it needed to be to do the surgery,” said Sanders, who co-owns the colt. “We think it’s just the stress he’s going through. He is very excitable. We had to get our own help that he recognizes to baby sit him. He’s like a pet and he’s so used to having people he recognizes. He doesn’t know what’s happening.”

Bramlage reported good blood flow to the injured limb and estimated the colt’s survival chances at 75%, Sanders said.

Gallop On
Oct. 8, 2007, 10:18 PM
What really happened? Didn't he have a last minute jockey change? Why?
Did anyone notice that he didn't look right before the race?

Gallop On
Oct. 8, 2007, 10:24 PM
He did not flip over in his stable, as was reported previously in this post. He flipped over in the paddock in plain view of everyone. It was one of the most awful, tragic things I have ever witnessed. My heart goes out to the owner and trainer - it doesn't look like anyone could have done anything to have prevented it. Just a horrible accident.

Texarkana
Oct. 8, 2007, 10:35 PM
Many jingles for Teuflesberg and his connections.

I know all too well what they are going through right now...

And oops, I don't know where my brain was the other day... no, it wasn't opening day at Keenland on Saturday, duh. Hehe.

Kenike
Oct. 8, 2007, 11:19 PM
Just keep having thoughts of this amazing horse. I wish him and his people all the best.

Thanks for the updates, and I hope he can have a SUCCESSFUL surgery very soon, with SUCCESSFUL recovery afterward.

findeight
Oct. 9, 2007, 12:21 PM
My bad on the opening day statement...simply had so many friends going down there for the first big day of the meet, didn't really think about it.

Can somebody update us on any T'Berg news? I liked him and liked his daddy. A liitle alarmed at the latest reports-I really hope he makes it.

I just caught the tail end of the telecast so didn't have to hear the stupid, dead air filling speculation the reporters engaged in. Bad enough to read it on here...and on all the other forums when bad things happen. Sometimes they just happen and puny little humans have no effect on fate or bad luck.

Cammie
Oct. 9, 2007, 12:55 PM
Really hope he can settle down- sounds like his personality won't help his rehabilitation chances. :(

From Bloodhorse.com:

Teuflesberg Expected to Undergo Surgery Oct. 11
by Blood-Horse Staff
Last Updated: October 9, 2007

Co-owner and trainer Jamie Sanders said Oct. 9 Teuflesberg will likely undergo surgery Oct. 11 at Rood & Riddle Equine Hospital in Lexington.

The 3-year-old colt fractured both sesamoid bones in his left front leg Oct. 6 during the $250,000 Phoenix Stakes (gr. III) at Keeneland. Surgery was initially scheduled for Oct. 8, but was postponed to allow the colt’s white blood cell count to recover.

Sanders said that according to Dr. Larry Bramlage at Rood & Riddle, the bones incurred a clean break and were not shattered. For that reason, there is optimism the son of Johannesburg will survive the injury and one day stand at stud.

“Right now, he doesn’t really know what’s going on,” Sanders said. “He’s so excitable; we’ve all been going over (to the hospital) to sit with him so he sees some familiar faces. His exercise rider sat with him yesterday, and his groom is there today. We’ve even taken the jolly balls from his stall over there. He’s just very high strung.”

Teuflesberg, who finished fourth in the Toyota Blue Grass Stakes (gr. I) at Keeneland in April, retires with five wins, including the Woody Stephens Stakes (gr. II). His career earnings total $621,981. The colt is owned by a partnership comprised of Sanders and fiancé Donnie Kelly, Gary Logsdon, and Jeff Singer.

findeight
Oct. 9, 2007, 01:06 PM
In a way that is decent news...I read in the Useless A Today he had broken BOTH front ankles, not both bones in one. Typical press coverage:no:. The truth and nothing but...sort of.

Think that some tend to forget these are just colts and they can be terrified plus being tuned up to race. Hope he settles.

Dreamboat Annie
Oct. 11, 2007, 01:49 AM
Jingles to Teuflesberg, and his people, I pray that his surgery goes well, and he calms down enough for it to heal....:)

Laurierace
Oct. 11, 2007, 07:30 AM
In a way that is decent news...I read in the Useless A Today he had broken BOTH front ankles, not both bones in one. Typical press coverage:no:. The truth and nothing but...sort of.

Think that some tend to forget these are just colts and they can be terrified plus being tuned up to race. Hope he settles.

He does have fractures in both ankles. The right is much less serious than the left, but they will both be repaired when he finally has surgery.

Xctrygirl
Oct. 11, 2007, 10:39 AM
From the FOB forum...

Video clip from local news of Teuf

http://www.tvclipfinder.com/watch?v=1924

~Emily

Glimmerglass
Oct. 11, 2007, 10:57 AM
It is such a shame that success and relative fortune resulted in such a professional and personal change amongst the owners.

Lexington Herald-Leader 10-11-07 "Colt fractures more than bones; Disputing owners stop speaking (http://kentucky.com/269/story/199771.html)

Sanders and Kelly said Logsdon scratched Teuflesberg against their wishes -- when they were trying to prepare the horse for the Breeders' Cup the weekend of Oct. 26-27 at Monmouth Park.

When Teuflesberg left the Keeneland track Saturday in a horse ambulance, it was obvious there would be no Breeders' Cup and no more racing for this $9,000 wonder colt.

"I've told him we have a horse we all love, he's been hurt, and let's put bad feelings aside. But they can't," Singer said.

"These guys have had the ride of a lifetime. They should be happy right now. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like that's going to happen."

findeight
Oct. 11, 2007, 11:48 AM
Does it ever seem to you that some horses have a little dark cloud the seems to follow them no matter what?

Some that seem to be a constant source of speculation and gossip for all the wrong reasons?

Then they take that mistep?

Just a believer in karma and sheer bad luck here...to bad it's the owners and trainers that generate it and the horse that pays it back.

Just a thought.

lizathenag
Oct. 11, 2007, 12:12 PM
Thanks for posting the video clip of him. I was afraid it would show the accident (which I watched on tv).

He looks pretty calm to me.

LyndaPellitteri31
Oct. 11, 2007, 04:54 PM
I just read in the Alex Brown Forum that he has successful surgery.

Derby starter Teuflesberg undergoes successful surgery

October 11, 2007

LEXINGTON, Ky. (AP) -- Teuflesberg was resting comfortably Thursday after successful surgery to fuse two broken bones in the 3-year-old gelding's left front leg.

Teuflesberg fractured two sesamoid bones when he took a misstep along the backstretch during Saturday's Phoenix Handicap at Keeneland.

Larry Bramlage, orthopedic surgeon for horses at Rood and Riddle, said it's too early for a long-term prognosis.

"The treatment for this fracture takes about 60 days to heal," Bramlage said. "If you get past two weeks without any blood supply issues, then you're OK."
Teuflesberg, who finished 17th in the Kentucky Derby, will likely spend about a month in the hospital. The surgery lasted about 2 1/2 hours.

LyndaPellitteri31
Oct. 11, 2007, 05:14 PM
umm they made a mistake up there, Tueflesberg is NOT a gelding lololol. Sorry I forgot the link;

http://msn.foxsports.com/horseracing/story/7323674

TouchstoneAcres
Oct. 11, 2007, 08:33 PM
http://racing.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=41289
Sounds like he's feeling ok

Kenike
Oct. 15, 2007, 12:24 AM
Though I haven't posted, I have been reading (like that's important information...HA! Sorry), and I'm glad to hear all went well.

Now if he can just have a safe and uneventful recovery.....

Glimmerglass
Oct. 18, 2007, 09:20 AM
Continued positive news but obviously a very long haul to go ...

Teuflesberg recovering from surgery

Marty McGee, Daily Racing Form
10/16/2007

Teuflesberg continues to recuperate without serious complications at the Rood and Riddle equine clinic following his surgery last week for injuries suffered in an Oct. 6 breakdown at Keeneland, according to trainer Jamie Sanders. The 3-year-old colt fractured both sesamoids in his left foreleg during the Phoenix Stakes, ending his racing career.

"We've gotten a lot of fan mail," Sanders said. "The colt really is doing good. The staff at the clinic is really happy with him. He's putting weight on both front legs, which is always a positive sign. He lays down to rest like he normally would. We've got people he knows with him all the time. He thinks this is all just part of his normal life."

Teuflesberg is expected to remain at the clinic for another month or so.

miss_critic
Oct. 18, 2007, 11:43 PM
I admit, I stole this off another board, but thought it might interest some here...
Pictures of T post surgery with gift basket :)
He looks good!
http://forums.delphiforums.com/alexbrown/messages?msg=15842.16

Barnfairy
Dec. 4, 2007, 06:33 PM
'Sounds like T's recovery is going well:

Teuflesberg to Stand for $10,000 (http://breeding.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=42320) at Hurricane Hall

excerpted from article linked above:

He is undergoing stall rest at Victory Haven Training Center under the care of his trainer, Jamie Sanders, and her fiancé, Donnie Kelly. The two own Teuflesberg with Gary Logsdon and Jeff Singer.

"He should be ready for hand walking in about a week or two," Sanders said about the colt who cost $9,000 as a yearling. "He's really doing well. Looking at him, it's hard to believe he went through this ordeal. He should be ready for test breeding in January."

SleepyFox
Dec. 5, 2007, 08:33 AM
'Sounds like T's recovery is going well:

Teuflesberg to Stand for $10,000 (http://breeding.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=42320) at Hurricane Hall

Definitely worth consideration at that price. :yes: