PDA

View Full Version : This weekend's races

miss_critic
Oct. 3, 2007, 09:51 PM
To start it off...

I know there will be much talk about other horses who are moving towards the BC, but some of our "B" stringers (who are pretty nice!) are racing this weekend too-Zanjero, Medici Code, Slews Tizzy, Bwana Bull, and Sedgefield run in the $500,000 Indiana Derby and Xchanger, Mr. Umphrey, Utopia, Praying for Cash, Diamond Stripes, and Awfully Smart run at the Meadowlands.

I'm hoping to see Timber Reserve soon.

K~2
Oct. 3, 2007, 09:52 PM
Not to mention some of the biggies in Europe - it's Arc weekend!

miss_critic
Oct. 4, 2007, 06:31 AM
Not to mention some of the biggies in Europe - it's Arc weekend!

Oh, Of course!! And I am hoping the race is posted here to watch before the results are up ;)

Texarkana
Oct. 4, 2007, 01:04 PM
I think we have a pretty good group of "B string" 3 year olds this year. I'm excited to see this weekend's races.

Also, it's a big juvenile weekend with the Champagne and the Lane's End Breeders Futurity.

Glimmerglass
Oct. 4, 2007, 07:53 PM
The glorious "old man" is making a run at the Grade 1 Clement Hirsch Turf Championship (Santa Anita) Saturday. He's won the 1 1/4 mi turf race twice before and his 2007 record is 3 1-2-0 in 2007: won Grade 1 Shoemaker Mile; lost only by a head in the Grade 2 American Handicap and lost only by 3/4 of a length Grade 1 Arlington Million.

The Clement Hirsch is not a "win and you're in" but you never know if The Tin Man might go to Jersey for the Breeders' Cup. An interesting factoid:

The Tin Man has not appeared at the Breeders’ Cup World Championships since 2003. No horse has ever had a four-year gap between starts in any BC event. At age 9, he’d match John’s Call and Miesque’s Approval as the oldest horses ever to appear on the Breeders’ Cup program.

Last year ESPN aired this race but alas not this year. They are however offering a full slate of action on tv:

Upcoming Televised Events (All Times Eastern):
SATURDAY
Phoenix Stakes - Keeneland ESPN (Oct 6) @ 4:00 PM
Champagne Stakes - Belmont Park ESPN (Oct 6) @ 4:00 PM
First Lady Stakes - Keeneland ESPN (Oct 6) @ 4:00 PM
Shadwell Turf Mile - Keeneland ESPN (Oct 6) @ 4:00 PM
Lane's End Breeders' Futurity - Keeneland ESPN (Oct 6) @ 4:00 PM
SUNDAY
Oak Tree Mile - Santa Anita ESPN (Oct 7) @ 5:00 PM
Spinster Stakes - Keeneland ESPN2 (Oct 7) @ 5:00 PM
Lady's Secret Handicap - Santa Anita ESPN (Oct 7) @ 5:00 PM
Ancient Title Handicap - Santa Anita ESPN2 (Oct 7) @ 5:00 PM

[That came from the BC folks so don't ask me how it is that on Sunday ESPN will show 2 races and ESPN2 show 2 races but at the same time;]

Glimmerglass
Oct. 4, 2007, 08:39 PM
Worth pointing out - The $250,000 Phoenix Stakes (G3), a sprint at Keeneland on Saturday is the 2nd oldest stakes race in the US. This is the 155th edition and is a "Win and You're In" for the TVG Breeders’ Cup Sprint at Monmouth Park.

The hardworking Teuflesberg (my KY Derby darkhorse) will be ridden for the first time by Julien Leparoux. He skipped the Grade 1 Vosburgh last weekend due to mucus in his lungs:

Trainer and part-owner Jamie Sanders said Friday that Teuflesberg came out of a four-furlong workout in 51.80 seconds on Thursday with some mucus in his lungs, forcing him to miss Sunday's Grade 1 Vosburgh at Belmont.

"It's a Grade 1," she said. "Anytime you get in a Grade 1 you got to be 100 percent. He may not be 100 percent right now."

miss_critic
Oct. 4, 2007, 11:55 PM
I read somewhere that Teuflesberg is going in the Keeneland Nov sale as a racing or stallion prospect...maybe I misunderstood?

Breaking news...HRTV is showing the Longchamp races this weekend and THAT I actually have. YIPEE

OH, my DVR told me Sunday's races were from 5-7 on ESPN2, after polo...and only on ESPN2, so who knows.

Glimmerglass
Oct. 5, 2007, 08:30 AM
Last year ESPN aired this race but alas not this year. They are however offering a full slate of action on tv:

Miss Critic, you are correct, from ESPN themselves ...

Saturday, Oct. 6, 4 p.m. ET on ESPN
First Lady S., Shadwell Turf Mile, Lane's End Breeders' Futurity, Champagne S., Phoenix S.

Sunday, Oct. 7, 5 p.m. ET on ESPN2
Ancient Title, Lady's Secret H., Oak Tree Mile, Juddmonte Spinster

I'll give a plug for that cited polo match.

ESPN2 is again airing the last leg of the Triple Crown of Polo from Aiken (http://www.triplecrownofpolo.com/media/news/aiken2007.php) just prior to Sunday's action. The match held Sep 22nd was a great game and last year ESPN did a very good job airing the Aiken polo match as well.

Drvmb1ggl3
Oct. 5, 2007, 11:43 AM
Big day at Longchamp on Sunday, six G1 races on the card in what is in effect the end of season Championship day for European racing.

Prix de L'Abbaye, 5f, 2yo+... for the sprinters, over the straight sprint course that runs diagonally across the infield.

Prix de Marcel Broussac, 1m, 2yo fillies

Grand Criterium, 7f, 2yo colts

Prix de l'Opera, 1m2f, 3yo+ fillies/mares... the Distaff chmps

Prix de L'Arc de Triomphe, 3yo+, 1m4f... the big Kahuuna

Prix Cadran, 4yo+, 2m4f..... the stayers championship.

Here's a course map (http://www.france-galop.com/IMAGES/p75116.gif) of big, beautiful Longchamp.

Drvmb1ggl3
Oct. 5, 2007, 11:46 AM
Interesting entrant in the Prix de l'Abbaye race is Kingsgate Native who will be the first 2yo in almost 30 years to contest Europe's top sprint race. He will carry 119lbs, getting 18 lbs from most of the rest of the field who are carrying 137lbs. He has beaten older horses before, winning the Nunthorpe Stakes G1 at York in Aug.

miss_critic
Oct. 5, 2007, 12:19 PM
Oh, the trotters 3rd leg of the triple crown is also on this weekend-that Donato Hanover is pretty exciting to watch.

Drvmb, they showed KN's York race and that was impressive. They were saying he was a freak, in a good way of course! That weight difference is crazy, but maybe not for a TWO year old.

Is it typical that half the horses in the Arc are O'Brian horses? How are horses qualified for that race?

Drvmb1ggl3
Oct. 5, 2007, 12:48 PM
The field for the Arc.

Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe G1
1m4f, 3yo+, €2m added (~$2.8m added)

1 (4) Youmzain (IRE) 4 131lbs M R Channon R Hughes
2 (6) Dylan Thomas (IRE) 4 131lbs A P O'Brien K Fallon
3 (1) Dragon Dancer (GB) 4 131lbs G Wragg D Holland
4 (2) Saddex (GB) 4 131lbs P Rau T Mundry
5 (10) Getaway (GER) 4 131lbs A Fabre O Peslier
6 (3) Mandesha (FR) 4 128lbs A de Royer Dupre C Soumillon
7 (8) Zambezi Sun (GB) 3 123lbs P Bary S Pasquier
8 (7) Song of Hiawatha (GB) 3 123lbs A P O'Brien D McCabe
9 (9) Yellowstone (IRE) 3 123lbs A P O'Brien P J Smullen
10 (5) Soldier of Fortune (IRE) 3 123lbs A P O'Brien J P Murtagh
11 (11) Sagara (USA) 3 123lbs J E Pease T Gillet
12 (12) Authorized (IRE) 3 123lbs P W Chapple-Hyam L Dettori

Drvmb1ggl3
Oct. 5, 2007, 12:58 PM
Oh, the trotters 3rd leg of the triple crown is also on this weekend-that Donato Hanover is pretty exciting to watch.

Drvmb, they showed KN's York race and that was impressive. They were saying he was a freak, in a good way of course! That weight difference is crazy, but maybe not for a TWO year old.

Is it typical that half the horses in the Arc are O'Brian horses? How are horses qualified for that race?

Well, he had 8 runners in the Derby!! He has 4 of 12 in the Arc (they pulled Yeats and some others). Of the 4, Song of Hiawatha is a pacemaker, and they paid close to $90k to supplement him into the race, so they really want to ensure a good run for Dylan Thomas and Soldier of Fortune.
Yellowstone, is probably in over his head, but has won at the G3 level, so hard to know if he is being run on his merits or if he is also there to set the pace, though I suspect the latter.

The only qualification is to pay the entry fee and be a colt, a filly or a mare (no geldings).

miss_critic
Oct. 6, 2007, 08:43 AM
No geldings??? Why?

Thursday night HRTV had all the entries up and there were 15 of which SEVEN were O'Briens.

miss_critic
Oct. 6, 2007, 09:06 AM
Oh, I forgot to add...I was very impressed with 3 yr old Xchanger in the Meadowlands Cup, against older horses. He was really wide but rallied super hard and fast, JUST missing second place by a nose, which was just half a length shy of the winner, Diamond Stripes.

Pinkdiamondracing-Good luck today :) (RE-Slews Tizzy) I see y'all have Borel aboard.

Drvmb1ggl3
Oct. 6, 2007, 09:42 AM
No geldings??? Why?

Probably for the same reason they can't run in the Derby, they are not breeding stock.
I don't think any of the the French G1s on the flat are open to geldings.

Glimmerglass
Oct. 6, 2007, 04:48 PM
Worth pointing out - The $250,000 Phoenix Stakes (G3), a sprint at Keeneland on Saturday is the 2nd oldest stakes race in the US. This is the 155th edition and is a "Win and You're In" for the TVG Breeders’ Cup Sprint at Monmouth Park.

The hardworking Teuflesberg (my KY Derby darkhorse) will be ridden for the first time by Julien Leparoux.

I came home from riding and missed this race live on ESPN2 but caught the terrible news :(

Hopefully the doctors at Rood & Riddle can save Tueflesberg. He's been a fighter in every race he's started in but a double fracture doesn't bode well at all.

Glimmerglass
Oct. 6, 2007, 05:07 PM
And the other bad news - although not tied to racing - was with Dream of Angels.

Per the BloodHorse:

Three-time stakes winner Dream of Angels, who shipped in from Florida for owner Pamela Halter, was a late scratch from the race. It was later learned that the 3-year-old son of Trippi-Burn Brightly had a terrible accident in the stable, in which he flipped and landed on his head. After fracturing his skull and bleeding badly from the nose, Dream of Angels was euthanized. Bred in Florida by Ocala Stud Farm, Dream of Angels had earned $227,090.

:(

Sometimes this sport just can kick you in the gut something terrible. These aren't unsound claimers running on some bushleague track. Bad things happen at some of the safest and world class tracks with big league graded-stakes winners ....

miss_critic
Oct. 6, 2007, 09:39 PM
Glad to know I am not the only one with some of these sentiments
-per Steve Christ:

At the end of a dismal ESPN telecast that dwelled on breakdowns and revived the inane "miles-per-hour" graphic, the racing-challenged network host asked Jerry Bailey and Randy Moss to comment on "the champions we crowned today." Their understandably blank looks confirmed that no champions are crowned the first weekend in October. What we actually had in the space of 2 1/2 hours were eight graded stakes at Keeneland and Belmont that probably yielded some of the favorites for the Breeders' Cup juvenile races, some winners who don't fit any of the BC races particularly well, and some starting berths for a few longshots who will be hard-pressed to repeat their victories next time out.

Drvmb1ggl3
Oct. 7, 2007, 10:24 AM
Incredible finish in the Prix de l'Opera, Satwa Queen splits Promising Lead and Legerete in a 3 horse photo.

Arc up next, horses in the parade ring.

Drvmb1ggl3
Oct. 7, 2007, 10:45 AM
Wow, almost a huge upset!!!

I'll say no more... except that Crusheen beating the Sixmilebridge to reach the County final yesterday must have been a good omen!

Result and replay later.

Drvmb1ggl3
Oct. 7, 2007, 10:46 AM
Stewards inquiry.... hold all tickets!!

Drvmb1ggl3
Oct. 7, 2007, 11:26 AM
Result stands after what seems like an interminable inquiry. Took them 45 minutes. The winning connections are being wheeled onto he track in horse drawn carriages for the presentation, all the pomp and pageantry of the Arc.

Drvmb1ggl3
Oct. 7, 2007, 01:00 PM
The replay of the Arc (http://france-galop.empreinte.com/2007/en/video/dimanche_course6_hd.wmx), with no commentary, and no result implied.... watch away Miss C.

Equibrit
Oct. 7, 2007, 01:39 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/horse_racing/7028175.stm

Arc video

Drvmb1ggl3
Oct. 7, 2007, 01:41 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/horse_racing/7028175.stm

Arc video

CAVEAT!... that link contains the result, for those who want to see the race without knowing the result beforehand.

miss_critic
Oct. 7, 2007, 02:28 PM
Aww, I am so happy for him (the horse that is-I won't mention it incase there are others waiting to see the results :) )! Quite the drifter, but clearly the winner no less. I was suprised when they said this is the trainer's first Arc win. Is that true?

What is the result of Kingsgate Native's race?

Drvmb1ggl3
Oct. 7, 2007, 09:47 PM
Cracking finish in the Oak tree Mile, the Brasilian bred Out of Control pips Zann on the line. That horse is earning his oats since arriving in SoCal, has run credibly now against the likes of After Market and The Tin Man. One to keep an eye on for the BC Mile.
Lava Man seems to have gone off the boil though, he trailed in last.

Drvmb1ggl3
Oct. 7, 2007, 09:55 PM
Aww, I am so happy for him (the horse that is-I won't mention it incase there are others waiting to see the results :) )! Quite the drifter, but clearly the winner no less. I was suprised when they said this is the trainer's first Arc win. Is that true?

What is the result of Kingsgate Native's race?

Kingsgate Native came a credible 2nd in the l'Abbaye (http://youtube.com/watch?v=rCFMDrgYZ_c), no one being a match for the winner, Benbaum, who galloped home in convincing fashion.

Surprise win for the German horse, Le Miracle (by.. who else?.. Monsun) in the Prix Cadran, winning in a photo finish after 2½miles. The odds-on fav, Yeats, wasn't at the races at all, ran very flat and finished back in 3rd.