PDA

View Full Version : Summersong--what happened to him.

pwynnnorman
Oct. 3, 2007, 07:06 AM
I saw his name mentioned in the stallion thread and remembered how beautiful he was and how exciting his style o/f was. Does anyone know what happened to him?

Oakmont Sporthorses
Oct. 3, 2007, 08:45 AM
He's standing at stud in France. I've heard that his semen does not freeze well, and I know of people who have had a hard time trying to find breeders willing to sell their youngstock to people outside of France. He has had youngstock competing at Le Lion d'Angers in the young horse championships.

pwynnnorman
Oct. 3, 2007, 09:29 AM
When and why did he retire? Was it just for stud duty? How old are his oldest? Thanks.

JER
Oct. 3, 2007, 10:30 AM
Yarlands Summersong's website: http://www.chateauderussas.com/ang/index.php?page=summer

Kanga
Oct. 6, 2007, 07:43 PM
MY FAVORITE HORSE OF ALL TIME!

Summersong was one of a kind! I watched him run Badminton in 1995 and became his biggest fan. My plan one day was to breed to him as soon as I was able to find “The Mare” to do him justice. Well in 2001 I found the mare and in 2004 decided it was time to breed to him. Through much research at the time I found out his frozen semen was no good and that the french did not want to sell any of his offspring out of the country(and certainly not to an American!)

After much disappointment (I felt my dream was shattered!), I decided that the best thing to do would be to breed to his sire (Fleetwater Opposition). I had the most beautiful colt in 2005, and yes he will be staying a stallion. No one ever brought this line of eventers over here. It surprised me that Americans aren’t looking at more “history” behind these PROVEN event lines in other countries. I have spent many years living in England and would frequently go to shows where there were 8 - 10 Opposition babies running Intermediate/Advance. That is unheard of here! There really is something to be said for Stallions like Cavalier, Catherston Dazzler, Jumbo, Crusing, Fleetwater Opposition and of course all the Welton horses that have produced numerous upper level event horses for decades.

Fleetwater Opposition died 2 days after my colt was born so there will be no more semen coming into this country from this amazing Sire. However, I do believe that EMCO Stallion Services still has some doses left here.

I still to this day look at the footage of Summersong competing and hope that his ½ brother I now have turns out just like him. He was a very special horse.......

Oh yea, forgot to tell you.... I loved him so much I had another. This time I got a beautiful ½ SISTER to him!

grayarabpony
Oct. 6, 2007, 08:09 PM
I remember seeing that stallion on the '95 video too. He was AMAZING.

JER
Oct. 6, 2007, 08:16 PM
Summersong is a half-brother to Catherston Dazzler. And by half-brother, I mean real half-brother, as in out of the same mare, Welton Gazelle. Let's give her some credit here.:)

Summersong and Catherston Dazzler (http://www.emcostallionservices.com/stallions/dazzlermorephotos.html) are quite similar looking, far more similar-looking that Dazzler's other 'sibling' stallion (from the same sire, Dutch Courage), Dutch Gold (http://www.emcostallionservices.com/stallions/dutchgold.html).

A most excellent family of horses.

pwynnnorman
Oct. 6, 2007, 08:35 PM
Yes, he was just unforgettable. Cross country can look challenging, exciting, dangerous, crazy...but he made it look downright beautiful. His style was like art (at least it is in my memory).

That said, I followed the link JER provided, but what the HECK does this mean: "The standard Yarlands Summersong remains titular to date better index of complete contest and also holds the second complete BLUP"? That's the blurb I'm getting under his photo--weird translation program?

And the thing is, while I've used semen from abroad, too, it's not really as fair a comparison if one is talking about a stallion's ability to produce eventers in this country. The testing ground for a stallion's get here is so rarified compared to there. Sure, you coudl have a slew of get from one stallion in one event over there--but their events can have four or more divisions of advanced running, too, plus the lower levels...every weekend. There are just more opportunities there for a stallion's get to prove his worth compared to here.

Harrumph! AND, come to think of it, it's easier to track who is by whom over there, too--lots of coverage of events and most with indications of pedigree for the winners. Able Albert anyone? He's #2 on the leading sires (of eventers) list--four offspring competing, topped only by Cavalier Royale with seven. The next ten listed have only ONE offspring putting them on the list. (NOT that the list really makes any sense, alas.)

Backstage
Oct. 7, 2007, 08:44 AM
Yarlands Summersong's website: http://www.chateauderussas.com/ang/index.php?page=summer

Thats a dangerous website! Now I'm tempted to go and visit and bring something home...its only a few hours away, so surely thats a logical thing to do.

Albion
Oct. 8, 2007, 02:54 AM
Pwynn, the French under the same photo on the (French) portion of the website says:

Cet incroyable entier dont le nom complet est Yarland Summer Song-,deux fois champion de France, a remporté d'innombrables trophées en
concours complet sous la selle de la championne française Marie-Christine Duroy. L'étalon Yarlands Summersong reste à ce jour titulaire du meilleur indice de concours complet et détient également le deuxième BLUP complet. Il se révèle être un très bon père.

This incredible entirety (?) whose complete name is Yarland Summersong, two time champion of France, won innumerable trophies in eventing under the saddle of the French champion Marie-Christine Duroy. The stallion Yarlands Summersong remains to this day the holder of a better (best?) index of eventing and also holds the second complete BLUP [a French method for grading stallions, if I'm not mistaken]. He proves to be a very good father.

---

My French is very rusty, so don't throw stones for a less than perfect translation. ;)

quiver
Nov. 29, 2007, 03:03 PM
And still looking wonderful.

I had my top class showjuming mare covered by him and she gave me a beautiful black filly who just looks like her dad, same lovely head, lets hope she'll jump as well she's going to be four next year and will be starting showing so let's hope for the best, there's no reason why she shouldn't be with a dad like him and her mom was a finalist in Fontainebleau for the young horses as a six year old and her dad was an olympic dressage horse she has everything going for her.

pwynnnorman
Nov. 29, 2007, 06:54 PM
Hey, quiver, got any pictures??? I'd love to see more pictures of his jump. Don't have the video any more. Thanks for posting.

quiver
Nov. 30, 2007, 07:10 AM
Yeah I'll send you some pics can I send them to your web site??

jhodkin
Nov. 30, 2007, 11:13 AM
I have a stallion son of Fleetwater Opposition - out of a mainly TB motherline. We have had a number of enquiries from the States and Canada for his semen and so are in discussions with Christine at EMCO about shipping his semen to the US from spring 2008. We have already frozen semen for the UK so know it's good, but he needs to go into quarantine early next spring for the International market.

He's 4yrs next year but his test crop of 2 foals born this year were 2 of the top 3 at the British Equestrian Federation Grading this year out of 28 foals across all disciplines, and both of them beat the Champion Dressage, Champion Showjumping and Champion Pony foals. One of them had the joint highest score across all eventers of all ages - 8.8 out of 10

Here he is:
http://www.futuresporthorses.co.uk/Future_Illusion1.htm

pwynnnorman
Nov. 30, 2007, 11:27 AM
He's 4yrs next year but his test crop of 2 foals born this year were 2 of the top 3 at the British Equestrian Federation Grading this year out of 28 foals across all disciplines, and both of them beat the Champion Dressage, Champion Showjumping and Champion Pony foals. One of them had the joint highest score across all eventers of all ages - 8.8 out of 10

Pony? Pony? You wrote pony????
Do tell: How'd that come about? Who's the mare?

[And thanks for the pics, quiver!]

Whisper
Nov. 30, 2007, 03:05 PM
Through much research at the time I found out his frozen semen was no good and that the french did not want to sell any of his offspring out of the country(and certainly not to an American!)

I'm surprised, since they have a lot of his get listed for sale on their site, including at least one who is competing in eventing (http://www.chateauderussas.com/ang/Lovam%27or.php). I suppose they could turn down a buyer just based on them being in a different country, but with so many listed, it seems odd.

Kanga
Nov. 30, 2007, 06:56 PM
Whisper-

It actually was not me directly that was turned down, it was a student of the O'Connors that spoke with them and at that time they did not want to sell to the states. Things might be different now, it was almost 4 years ago. Anyway, breeding to Summersongs Sire (Fleetwater Opposition) was the best thing for me to do, so it all worked out for the better.

Summersong will still be my favorite Event Horse of all time!!!

FoxChaser
Nov. 30, 2007, 10:22 PM
Kanga, I was going to get on here and tell you that I knew of a very nice son of Fleetwater Opposition who actually lived here in Kentucky... then I realized that it was YOUR horse :) I didn't realize that you posted on here! Your baby girl is quite a looker too :)

Carol Ames
Dec. 1, 2007, 01:00 AM
, too, had wanted to breed to him :yes:but, with an older maiden mare , 14, decided it was not a viable option:no::(

Kanga
Dec. 1, 2007, 06:07 PM
Foxchaser-

Thanks for the nice comment about Gaelic Opposition. I can only hope that he turns out somewhat like Summersong (that would be a dream come true!) Can't wait to see how the filly ends up, she is only about 6 months old now and is the sweetest thing I have ever come across.

Yes, I actually started posting back on this site when we started up the FEH series. Seems to be a good way to help keep so many people informed. Whoever thought about this idea of having these forums was brilliant, what a great way to stay informed around the world.

nancy999
Mar. 6, 2008, 01:13 PM
I know of a couple of very good horses currently for sale out of Yarlands Summersong.

Kanga
Mar. 6, 2008, 08:09 PM
nancy999-

Just out of curiosity are they in the states or do they need to be imported here from France??

I personally don't need anymore horses but it would be nice to know if they are here or abroad for other people I know!

Thanks!!

nancy999
Mar. 7, 2008, 03:04 AM
Hi Kanga

They are in France (where I live), so would need importing to the States. Both are Mares, quite small in height, but very good indeed.

nancy999
Mar. 7, 2008, 04:59 AM
Kanga

I forgot to say, they are in France & as the original Owner of Yarlands Summersong died recently, these 2 mares are now for sale, as they were bred by him. They are being trained by an English Proffessional Show jump rider & he is looking for buyers outside of France. I can pass on contact details by Private email.

JER
Mar. 7, 2008, 10:23 AM
Two fillies by Summersong are listed for sale here.

http://www.elevagedumagay.com/index.php?page=avendre&type=sport

A cute yearling colt is here:

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/marketplace/classified/details.php?id=109058

mademoiselle
Mar. 7, 2008, 10:25 AM
JER, the fillies on the French website are sold

JER
Mar. 7, 2008, 10:47 AM
JER, the fillies on the French website are sold

mme, I spent my childhood in a French-speaking country.:) (Did you have your baby yet? Just curious and hoping all went well.) Anyway, it's better they're sold. I'm so not in the market for more mares, especially if they're 2 and 3.

I was posting them as examples of SS youngsters. There were others listed, some in expired ads, some without photos so I posted the ones with photos.

These three have a similar look. The other thing I've noticed is they tend to be on the smaller side, not unlike FO's offspring. (Which I like; I'm quite small myself.)

mademoiselle
Mar. 7, 2008, 11:14 AM
désolée ;) I didn't know if you spoke French... My bad:D

No, Baby doesn't want to come out:eek::eek::eek: I'm past my due date and no signs of anything. Still on foal watch:mad:

JER
Mar. 7, 2008, 11:23 AM
No, Baby doesn't want to come out. I'm past my due date and no signs of anything. Still on foal watch.

My mare only foals during big rain storms. One year, she had her foal in the field with her blanket on. She gave no signs of foaling (it was 2 weeks before due date) but then a massive storm blew in.

Maybe some bad weather would help you? :)

quiver
Sep. 5, 2008, 03:58 AM
Well Quiver my mare by Yarland started her showjumping career this year she jumped 10/10 clear rounds and has over 800 Euros, she got scared of the river jump at the CIR but then went on the the finals in Fontainebleau and jumped really well and was no longer scared of the river jump. She still looks like her dad and is a fantastic jumper, respect, intelligence all you could ever wish for.