PDA

View Full Version : Who's going to Region 9 Championships?

EssentialEQST
Oct. 3, 2007, 12:38 AM
Who's going to Region 9 Championships? (Competitor/Spectator/Volunteer/Etc)???

ride-n-tx
Oct. 3, 2007, 03:41 PM
i'll be there volunteering, grooming, and spectating. what about you?

flshgordon
Oct. 3, 2007, 10:44 PM
I'll be there competing, volunteering and spectating! I'd love to meet any Cothers I don't already know.

EssentialEQST
Oct. 4, 2007, 12:13 AM
I'm going to volunteer and watch as many rides as I can.

GreekDressageQueen
Oct. 4, 2007, 11:27 AM
I would love to go but its just too far for me to drive right now with my busy schedule. Do you guys know if the Championships will ever be held in DFW or Austin area? It seems the Houston location is popular and HDS wins the bid every year.

EssentialEQST
Oct. 4, 2007, 11:40 AM
GAIG will be in Oklahoma next year (2008). SWDC will be in Houston it's normal scheduled time.

SGray
Oct. 4, 2007, 11:54 AM
Judges:
Linda Zang “S” FEI “O”- Davidsonville, MD;
Janet Brown-Foy “S” FEI “I” Colorado Springs, CO;
Lois Yukins “S” FEI “I” Manchester, MA;
Bill Solyntjes “S” Hamel MN;
Barbara Ebner “S”Howell, NJ;
Loris Henry “S”Fresno, CA;
Jane Weatherwax “S” FEI “C” Escondido, CA;
Debbie Riehl Rodriguez “S”, Golden, CO
Jeanne McDonald “S” FEI “C” Downingtown, PA;
Charlotte Bredahl Baker “S” Buellton, CA

Technical Delegates:
Nancy Holsing “R” Pennbrook Pines, Fl,
Joyce Hardesty Coleman “R”Overland Park, KS

SGray
Oct. 4, 2007, 12:55 PM
(without adding in Freestyle)

GAIG has ~263 and SWDC ~429

that's almost 700 rides that are strictly Championships (granted, not all will come to the show but I think that historically most do)

assuming that each competitor wants to get their horse in the arena at least once per level before their Ch. ride.... it's alot of rides/judges/arenas/volunteers needed to put this on

EssentialEQST
Oct. 4, 2007, 01:54 PM
Very true SGray... I'm on call all week of championships, which I'm BEGGING my shift opposite to chop-chop on the orientation. :D

GAH Sunday of Championships I will have been engaged for one year... FI proposed last championships during the Saturday night dinner and fun freestyles :winkgrin:

SGray
Oct. 4, 2007, 02:18 PM
since you're not doing it this year, perhaps you should marry at the '08s

SGray
Oct. 4, 2007, 02:23 PM
I would love to go but its just too far for me to drive right now with my busy schedule. Do you guys know if the Championships will ever be held in DFW or Austin area? It seems the Houston location is popular and HDS wins the bid every year.

not so much the Houston location as the Great Southwest facility and all the close-by hotels I think

also, HDS has historically been one of (if not the) the largest GMOs in region and they are fairly good at getting the workers out for the show

and of course, in recent years there have been workers from all over the Region - and thank goodness

ride-n-tx
Oct. 4, 2007, 05:04 PM
i would love to meet the other people on this as well! i always enjoy making new horse friends!! too bad i don't have a COTH tee-shirt to stand out, haha. but i will be scribing and helping to put together the indoor arenas. since i live only about 10mins away i will probably be out there every day doing something! good luck to anyone that is riding in it!!!

J-Lu
Oct. 4, 2007, 05:55 PM
I'll be there!
J.

fsf
Oct. 4, 2007, 09:00 PM
Hi guys!! I'm coming down from KS (approx 15 hours). I'll be meeting a friend in Oklahoma City and driving down with her over two days. Yes I live in Region 4, but I show primarily in OK and some in Northern TX. Love to meet some of you!! :)

flshgordon
Oct. 5, 2007, 01:21 PM
I have an OLLLLD COTH shirt, maybe we can figure out another way to meet up one day and introduce ourselves. Sounds like there will be several of us!

Mariequi
Oct. 12, 2007, 10:04 PM
I'll be the USDF rep there and easy to find. I don't wear a straw hat in "real life" but will there so my hair is controllable for photos. I enjoyed the facilities last year and think they may be using the new arena that was used by a reining show last year same time. Yes, next year in OK. I imagine the new facility being built up north (west of Dallas I think) will apply at some point. Wonder how far along they are?

ESG
Oct. 12, 2007, 11:18 PM
I will try to be there the Thursday and Friday, but am going to CA at the weekend with a client to look at horses. I think.

Gallop On
Oct. 14, 2007, 07:52 PM
I'll be the one trying to find Mariequi! We're showing AA, 2nd and 3rd. Hey M, when will you get there?

Atheta21
Oct. 19, 2007, 01:19 AM
I'll be there competing in my first regional championships! Some of the times have been posted!
www.showsecretary.com
Thanks in advance to all the workers and volunteers!

Mariequi
Oct. 20, 2007, 10:04 PM
Hey there. Sorry just went from Region 7 to Region 3 (still there). I'm getting into Katy 10/31 (what day is that??)

Atheta21
Oct. 20, 2007, 11:42 PM
Wed.

SGray
Oct. 31, 2007, 09:52 AM
looks like Region 9 may be one of the few in the country to have GOOD weather for their Champs.

though we do get stuck by the time change - those 7 am rides on Sunday will feel REAL early

flshgordon
Oct. 31, 2007, 12:51 PM
looks like Region 9 may be one of the few in the country to have GOOD weather for their Champs.

though we do get stuck by the time change - those 7 am rides on Sunday will feel REAL early

No kidding....my stablemate rides at 7:15~~~~~:eek: :eek: :eek:

EssentialEQST
Oct. 31, 2007, 01:09 PM
Hopefully everyone pays attention to the time change!

I'll be running the freestyle music friday and saturday. That'll be fun, I love watching the freestyles!

Good Luck everyone!!! :D

SaraTx
Oct. 31, 2007, 09:00 PM
I am so glad I decided not to persue regionals this year. Normally I would have taken 1/2 days last week to get in some extra time, but I ended up with such a heavy workload that I was there 12 hrs every day :(

And now that our changes are clean 95% of the time (w/me, 100% with the trainer) we have been playing with multiples. Mare picked them up so quick that if I shift my weight in the slightest, we get a change. So no more adjusting wedgies whilst cantering :) If we had been prepping for the show, we wouldn't have been playing with new stuff. Rides like that make the crap ones so worthwhile.

Good Luck to all!!! I love the facilities and the atmosphere there!

STF
Oct. 31, 2007, 10:02 PM
Good luck to all of you going!!!! :D

rebeginner
Nov. 1, 2007, 10:24 AM
I will be spectating, and possibly shopping. What's the riding equivalent of the theatre well-wishing "break a leg"?

cyndi
Nov. 1, 2007, 11:13 AM
I will be spectating, and possibly shopping. What's the riding equivalent of the theatre well-wishing "break a leg"?

Fall off? Go off course? Get eliminated? There are _so_ many ways to humiliate oneself. :lol:

yaya
Nov. 2, 2007, 10:15 PM
Wow, Showsecretary is being SUPER speedy with results!

Good job!

ESG
Nov. 2, 2007, 11:19 PM
Well it's easy when the class size is reduced, by the TD eliminating a third of the competitors. :eek:

For the first time, I'm glad I didn't qualify this year. Poor HDS show staffers - I'm sure they're pulling their hair out. :no:

Mariequi
Nov. 2, 2007, 11:56 PM
Sorry. What are you talking about? Why poor staffers? If you mean whips of the wrong size, they're following the rules. That's happened at all championships this year.

ESG
Nov. 3, 2007, 12:05 AM
Seems very, very odd to me that all of these people, who've been showing all year with the same whips, are suddenly "illegal". One or two, here and there, I can understand. But a dozen in the course of one day? And, as many have been 1/2" or less "too long", I think something's amiss.

I don't have a dog in this hunt, either way, but I just hate to see someone overzealous ruining a year's worth of work for these riders. JMO. :no:

Mariequi
Nov. 3, 2007, 09:33 AM
The TDs have made the same comments! Very odd! They came and remeasured the measuring area, comparing inside to outside because someone said it differed, but it didn't. I think I'd be checking ahead of time. SGray, are you here?

yaya
Nov. 3, 2007, 09:33 AM
Whips are only allowed in the open show and the SWDC classes. Were people trying to bring whips into the GAIG classes?

Mariequi
Nov. 3, 2007, 09:35 AM
I believe some questions were RC class warm-ups and some SWDC classes and do they follow RC rules when at RC championship.

ESG
Nov. 3, 2007, 10:11 AM
A friend got eliminated for a whip 1/2" (maybe less) too long. They trimmed off the frayed end to make it "legal". She has measured this whip in the past, and thought it legal. I think the "measuring area" needs to be an actual tape, and not just a section on a board on the arena wall. The rule reads that legal measurement is 43.3 inches, or 110 cm. If the TD was measuring at 43" even as being legal, s/he is off (short) by a little over 1/4". Might bear looking into, especially considering the number of folks that have been just 1/2" or less "too long".

Now, in the case of the person whose whip was 6" too long? That one should stand. :yes:

Xerintha
Nov. 3, 2007, 10:36 AM
Or what about a friend who was eliminated for entering the ring late, even though she was actually 2 minutes early. Everyone's watch and phone said so. Even the TD and show officials argued with the judge. Nope..still eliminated for being late. *sigh*

ESG
Nov. 3, 2007, 11:30 AM
Yes, I heard about that, too. From a couple of different sources. :winkgrin:

yaya
Nov. 3, 2007, 11:52 AM
It's pretty cool to see scores up practically in real time.

But somebody needs to re-set the computer for the Pony Championship class. Their math is wrong!

ESG
Nov. 3, 2007, 12:43 PM
How so?

yaya
Nov. 3, 2007, 03:14 PM
It's fixed now.

Earlier, everyone was in the 40s even though they had the scores from both of the judges. Something wasn't calculating right.

risingstarfarm
Nov. 3, 2007, 06:37 PM
I zipped down to Katy this morning to give my mare a pat.

Great shopping! I saw lots of friends and was THRILLED with my girl's wonderful results (esp. considering it was only her THIRD show)!

I must say though, Georgetown to Katy and back in one day nearly killed me. I must be getting old, LOL.

high hat
Nov. 3, 2007, 10:06 PM
As far as the whip issue. All last year at many of the shows they reminded everyone of the new rules regarding whip lengths. I also know personally that the fringe on the end of the whip unravels and you must measure them periodiclly and cut off the excess. It is very easy to go to the rings and measure your whip against the standard. If you can't do it have someone do it for you before you enter. I usually do this first thing so I don't have any surprises.

Who was it that went to the WEG a few years back and he entered the ring with his whip and was eliminated? The rules are the rules and overjealous or not too long is just plain too long.

SaraTx
Nov. 3, 2007, 10:23 PM
the unraveling thing does happen, which is why i keep electrical tape in my trailer and use it around the cut ends of the lash.
I also know that when I am in my boots, the bottom of my bra strap is 43 inches from the ground, so I constantly check my whips' lenght and stop taking questionable whips to shows.

it would be nice tho, if they could measure and check bits before you ride instead of after... can always drop the whip if it is too long before the ride.

Mariequi
Nov. 3, 2007, 11:00 PM
The rules ARE the rules. You can request a whip to be measured at any time and the TDs are carrying tapes. A friend trimmed her whip today just before going down to the arena AND had it measured. Also, the TDs have been asked to check bits beforehand as well. Shoot, I would either know or ask if any qualms.

ESG
Nov. 3, 2007, 11:46 PM
Yes, the rules are the rules, and I have no problem with that. But, the rules have to be enforced accurately. I'm surprised that no one seems to realize that legal length is not 43", but 43.3", or 110 cm. That .3" translates to about 5/16" or 6/16" - or just shy of a half inch, which is what more than one competitor was "over".

As you say, rules are rules. :winkgrin:

yaya
Nov. 4, 2007, 06:13 AM
The rules ARE the rules. You can request a whip to be measured at any time and the TDs are carrying tapes. A friend trimmed her whip today just before going down to the arena AND had it measured. Also, the TDs have been asked to check bits beforehand as well. Shoot, I would either know or ask if any qualms.

But the rules say bits can only be checked AFTER the ride. (DR121.8 and DR126.10)

This is because sticking someone's hand in a horse's mouth to check the bit before he goes in can really irritate the horse and screw up your ride.

Sounds like if someone wanted to spend a few bucks, they can protest the HELL out of this show!

ESG
Nov. 4, 2007, 08:12 AM
I am watching with great interest. :yes:

Mariequi
Nov. 4, 2007, 08:55 AM
I must've read through this hurriedly. I guess I missed where that .3 wasn't included - 110 cm was the length confirmed in both measuring areas. Bits? Not yet in the horse's mouth when inquiring of TD.

Bogey2
Nov. 4, 2007, 08:59 AM
It is very easy to go to the rings and measure your whip against the standard. If you can't do it have someone do it for you before you enter. I usually do this first thing so I don't have any surprises.

and beware that the rule is you can be eliminated for being mounted on the grounds with a whip that is too long....not just once you have ridden the test. So, if you ride up and ask the steward to check your whip you could be eliminated before you even enter the arena.

Mariequi
Nov. 4, 2007, 09:04 AM
"Sounds like if someone wanted to spend a few bucks, they can protest the HELL out of this show!"

Explain please.

ESG
Nov. 4, 2007, 09:08 AM
I must've read through this hurriedly. I guess I missed where that .3 wasn't included - 110 cm was the length confirmed in both measuring areas. Bits? Not yet in the horse's mouth when inquiring of TD.

Thank you for clarifying that. The person who was eliminated was under the impression that they went by inches, not cm. And she was in a position to know. :cool:

Mariequi
Nov. 4, 2007, 09:12 AM
I'd be glad to address any issues today before I leave. But I'll be online about another 5 minutes. Thanks!

yaya
Nov. 4, 2007, 12:26 PM
"Sounds like if someone wanted to spend a few bucks, they can protest the HELL out of this show!"

Explain please.

Well, it sounds like things are not being done by the rules. If they are eliminating for whips over 43 inches instead of 43.3 inches, making someone ride before their published time, or checking bits before the ride (it was not explained til later that the bits weren't in the horse's mouth), then something is wrong.

If someone got mad enough, 200 bucks for a protest would be a piece of cake.

yaya
Nov. 4, 2007, 12:27 PM
And bummer, they are not putting results online today like they have been doing the last three days!

flshgordon
Nov. 5, 2007, 10:02 AM
For the record, I don't know about the rest of the show, but I was one of the riders eliminated on friday for a whip that was less than 1/2" too long. I waited for the TD to show up and watched her measure my whip MYSELF and she measured at 43". My whip was approximately 43.5" and yes it is the exact same whip I have been showing with and measured the entire year. I had them cut the whip on the spot so I could use it later in the day but then later found out the rule is 43.3". I did not know at the time that 43.3" was the rule (my fault for not sitting home reading every nuance of the rule book and riding instead) but there were some things like that that were out of hand at this show that I have not experienced at ANY other rec. show the entire year. Hey at least this crap happened on my first ride.

Since I had them cut my whip, I didn't feel like I had any options regarding protest but you can be SURE I will be filling out an evaluation on the show which was an otherwise (except for the TD) stellar production!

Before my NEXT class, I went back to the ring (a full 30 min before my ride time) to have the whip measured again just in case, I was told by the equip checkers that if it measured over they would have to elim. me before the class.....can you say WTF!!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: This is what they were instructed to do. I informed them that I'd already been through that once that morning and wanted it measured to be sure they cut it correctly. Some people get on a power trip......

All in all, it was a very well organized show and really catered to the competitors. The weather was beautiful the whole time and I met a lot of nice people that I hadn't really gotten to meet all year.

SGray
Nov. 5, 2007, 10:15 AM
The TDs have made the same comments! Very odd! They came and remeasured the measuring area, comparing inside to outside because someone said it differed, but it didn't. I think I'd be checking ahead of time. SGray, are you here?

late to the party

didn't get out their Saturday due to having a very bad day picking up some round bales (a little hint, double or triple check that you are going to clear the gate with the 18' trailer BEFORE accelerating forward to make it through the soft spot)

was at show on Sunday but only to visit with folks

heard about the 'frayed' whip eliminations -- and I think that it is the silliest goofiest most godawful unreasonable rule enforcement imaginable

geez people -- why worry about the length of the whip, especially down to the cm -- I only ever worried about how the rider used the whip -- and probably 80% of the riders never use it at all in the competition arena

the idea of stopping a rider after their championship class in which the rider never twitched the whip, measuring, finding the whip less than an inch too long and eliminating them -- that is nonsense, pure and simple -- judge these people on how they rode, not how much their lash has frayed

SGray
Nov. 5, 2007, 10:30 AM
Or what about a friend who was eliminated for entering the ring late, even though she was actually 2 minutes early. Everyone's watch and phone said so. Even the TD and show officials argued with the judge. Nope..still eliminated for being late. *sigh*

if a rider was on time or early according to "Official Show Time" then the judge should have been overruled and if the judge would not score the ride the the TD and/or show manager should have filed a charge and the competitor should have filed a protest

if the TD did not have the fortitude to stand up to a judge under those circumstances that is not a good TD and should not be asked back - especially to a championship show

would I have filed given those circumstances, you betcha -- did I ever file against a judge, well, no, I didn't have to because the judge backed down when I stood up to her (in that case judge wanted to eliminate for not walking out of the arena on a loose rein after final salute -- never ceases to amaze me, the bs some will try -- judges need to get over the feeling that they should be trying to punish the competitors)

SGray
Nov. 5, 2007, 10:49 AM
people people people -- haven't we bemoaned the lack of participation, attention, popularity,...of dressage here enough times to realize that competitors should be encouraged, not beaten up on?!?!?

a judge is there to tell you whether you have attained the goals in each given test/level and perhaps to point out what you might concentrate on correcting and what areas you are succeeding in --- to point your way to the goals of that level and beyond --- it is not a judge's task to berate but to encourage

a TD is there to assist - to assist the show management in seeing that things are run well and according to the rules

to assist the judges with violations they might see or suspect

to assist the competitors in learning and/or interpreting the rules

to represent the USEF in upholding the rules in order that a fair and safe competition is enjoyed by all

the TD should not be trying to play 'Gotcha' to anyone

- - the above is not in relation to the show on this thread as I have no direct knowledge on that competition but to shows in general - -

SGray
Nov. 5, 2007, 11:05 AM
and whether or not you were directly affected by any problems, if you have knowledge of any and have an opinion about judges/TDs/management/general conduct of the show they you really must express your misgivings to your GMO, to HDS and to Region 9 ( unless of course you'd be perfectly content with seeing the same things occur year after year)

EssentialEQST
Nov. 5, 2007, 12:15 PM
I know a lot of riders were very upset with the scores, and the dramatic differences between judges scores and comments per ride.

I don't think I saw one rolled centerline at all this year... :no::confused:

flshgordon
Nov. 5, 2007, 01:21 PM

As for the measuring areas, at the main arena, it may or may not have been 110cm. (don't know since I didn't have a tape measure tucked in my girth) In the original measure, my whip might have been 1/4" MAYBE over the duct tape (yeah that's a great way to measure!) then the TD came over and produced her own tape measure, measured to 43" and said the whip was 1/2" too long. Either way, it's ridiculous to have that many riders elim for such a stupid reason, championship or other. Luckily that was my open show ride.

And I'm sorry, but someone who feels the need to walk around behind blackout glasses even while indoors to me gives off the impression that she doesn't wish to have to look anyone in the eye. IMO, that was way unprofessional and I wish show management would have said something to her about it.

But like I said, I still think the show was well done overall, we did very well and I couldn't be more pleased with my horse!

There was only one judge whose scores overall I thought were BRUTAL but luckily I didn't ride under them :lol: I did disagree with almost every score that person gave out though.

ESG
Nov. 5, 2007, 02:47 PM
if a rider was on time or early according to "Official Show Time" then the judge should have been overruled and if the judge would not score the ride the the TD and/or show manager should have filed a charge and the competitor should have filed a protest

if the TD did not have the fortitude to stand up to a judge under those circumstances that is not a good TD and should not be asked back - especially to a championship show

would I have filed given those circumstances, you betcha -- did I ever file against a judge, well, no, I didn't have to because the judge backed down when I stood up to her (in that case judge wanted to eliminate for not walking out of the arena on a loose rein after final salute -- never ceases to amaze me, the bs some will try -- judges need to get over the feeling that they should be trying to punish the competitors)

I wouldn't get too hot under the collar about this one. I heard the story from two different perspectives, both witnesses. 'Nuff said.

SGray
Nov. 5, 2007, 03:20 PM
- - the above is not in relation to the show on this thread as I have no direct knowledge on that competition but to shows in general - -

Sonesta
Nov. 5, 2007, 06:09 PM
Someone PT me who was the TD.

yaya
Nov. 5, 2007, 06:41 PM
In a show that size, there are several TDs. One I heard about isn't listed in the prize list.

risingstarfarm
Nov. 5, 2007, 09:02 PM
Regarding whip lengths....I thought that the rule was still 43" and 43.3 was a proposed rule change to be voted on in January??

SaraTx
Nov. 5, 2007, 09:38 PM
Regarding whip lengths....I thought that the rule was still 43" and 43.3 was a proposed rule change to be voted on in January??

nope - the legal length is 110 cm = 43.3" for 2007

risingstarfarm
Nov. 5, 2007, 10:11 PM
Thanks SaraTx - I did look on the website and you are absolutely correct :-)

ESG
Nov. 5, 2007, 10:19 PM
nope - the legal length is 110 cm = 43.3" for 2007

Actually, the rule change went into effect in the 2006 season. Something a competent TD would have known. :winkgrin:

J-Lu
Nov. 6, 2007, 01:00 AM
I do know someone who has shown with her "show whip" (not used for schooling) about two months previous who was eliminated after her test. Apparently, it frayed past 43.3". Hmmm.

However, in my personal experience, this was a very well run show and the judge roster was top top notch. The scores were often low but were pretty right on. Scribing was educational with such a roster. The ring stewards gave me 10 and 3 minute warnings for my rides and were on the ball if the horse was in the scheduled warm-up ring.

The saturday night entertainment was hilarious. And watching Lurena B-S do GP movements in a western saddle and bridle by neck-reining sort of put things into perspective. I'm inspired to do an "anything goes" freestyle next year, mainly by those girls in The Little Mermaid costumes with the fish tails draping over the haunches. Talk about great seats!

J.

STF
Nov. 6, 2007, 08:36 AM
Congrats to all who were there.
Looks like it was a great show. I looked at the scores and they were not as bad as I was getting the impression here on the threads.
Hopefully.... if health issues stay clean, I will see yall there next year on Dreamstreet! :)

flshgordon
Nov. 6, 2007, 04:14 PM
The saturday night entertainment was hilarious. And watching Lurena B-S do GP movements in a western saddle and bridle by neck-reining sort of put things into perspective. I'm inspired to do an "anything goes" freestyle next year, mainly by those girls in The Little Mermaid costumes with the fish tails draping over the haunches. Talk about great seats!

J.
Wasn't that just THE BEST! All the "freestyles" blew me away. I was talked into going at the last minute, and I'm so glad I didn't miss it! Lurena and Erica were amazing---everyone was!

SGray
Nov. 7, 2007, 12:50 PM
anyone know if there are photos available on a website?

flshgordon
Nov. 7, 2007, 12:59 PM
anyone know if there are photos available on a website?

www.reitsportphotography.com (http://www.reitsportphotography.com) I don't think they're finished yet but started posting photos last night.

SGray
Nov. 7, 2007, 02:10 PM
thanks mucho f-g

Portia
Nov. 7, 2007, 03:02 PM
There were certainly some problems, some of which stemmed in part from the heavy dependence upon volunteers. But man, there were a lot of volunteers who put in a hell of a lot of effort and should be very much thanked for all they did. Really, for a big show that depended hugely on volunteers to get things done, it was amazing how well it all worked. :)

On measuring the whips, that to me is always a sticky question. I do feel badly for anyone eliminated for being a half-inch or so over the limit, since it is true that the ends unravel and a whip that was fine at one show may be too long at a show three months later. And it does seem unfair in some respects to eliminate somebody for a whip that measures just slightly over the limit. But then, what would people be saying about a TD who let people slide on it when it is violation of the rules? As SGray said, the TD is there to enforce the rules and that's one of the rules.

On checking the length before the ride, the rule has been around all year so people should have been aware of it, and there was nothing stopping anyone from walking up to the tape at the measuring spots at just about any time of day or night and checking their own whip to see if it might be a risky length and need a trim just to be safe. You didn't need to ask a TD or an equipment checker to do so or tell them you were doing it.

From what I saw, the equipment checkers were encouraging people to check their whips in advance and didn't prevent anyone from doing so. If, however, someone did indeed tell them that had to eliminate anyone who came up in advance of their ride and checked their whip and it was too long, or an individual checker had that idea for some reason, then that was a mistake. It certainly is not what the rules require.

And it would make no sense in practice -- How do you eliminate a horse in advance for a whip being too long when that rider may be riding six different horses at the show? Do you eliminate just the first horse the rider was going to ride? Or every horse that rider was set to show? And do you eliminate them from every class? Even when the whip measures too long after a class the horse is only eliminated for that one ride. And what happens when a groom walks up with half a dozen whips in her hand to measure on behalf of three different riders with a total of ten different horses to ride and one of the whips is too long? Who's to say that particular whip was ever going to be used, and in which test by which rider on which horse?

flshgordon
Nov. 7, 2007, 03:26 PM
Portia I don't disagree with your argument, I can only relate what I was told and that was....verbatim...."if I measure your whip again and it is too long, you will be eliminated before the ride". Again....I wasn't carrying my rulebook tucked in my girth, so I didn't know that they were incorrect. For something like that, I think the volunteers should have some sort of training or know the rules accurately. I myself stick to being a scribe or warmup ring steward where I don't need to know the rulebook :winkgrin:

Portia
Nov. 7, 2007, 03:30 PM
I'm not doubting you Flsh! This sounds like it was another issue from having to rely so heavily on volunteers -- different equip checkers every day, sometimes several different ones at the same ring over the course of a day, all of them hearing something slightly different or understanding it differently ....

I agree specific training would be great, but I'm guessing it's hard enough to get folks to volunteer in the first place and then to show up as expected on the day.

SGray
Nov. 7, 2007, 04:22 PM
hey Portia -- when you decide to do the riding on your darling boy in dressage let me know - I'd even groom to get you over to the dark side

Portia
Nov. 7, 2007, 06:02 PM
Jo keeps threatening me with having to ride him at dressage shows. I'm still resistant. :D

flshgordon
Nov. 8, 2007, 10:16 AM
Jo keeps threatening me with having to ride him at dressage shows. I'm still resistant. :D

Eventually you will just have to give in! Besides.....my jumping trainer (while loathe to admit it) can't help but admit my hunter's gaits have never looked better and flying changes--voila--appeared not long after my dressage training began.

And I don't want to be the only one out there IN a dressage saddle who absolutely can't get rid of all traces of hunter position. Trust me.....it isn't the rider marks that are making us score well :winkgrin: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Portia
Nov. 8, 2007, 11:32 AM
Poor Flsh! ;) Don't worry, you're not alone in the "young horse torn between two disciplines" world.

For better or worse when I returned to riding, having grown up riding saddleseat, I started with eventing, so I never learned true hunter position -- getting rid of the saddleseat legs was something else! As SGray knows very well, you can't ride at Tex-Over without doing dressage even if you don't compete in it and do the jumpers. She's just trying to make me have to dress up and ride dressage in competition again.

Which I (gulp) actually may do -- the most telling thing was that I was actually looking at new dressage saddles to replace my 15 year old Passier that doesn't fit Dheacon all that well. :eek:

SGray
Nov. 8, 2007, 12:10 PM
hey - for next year's Sat. evening entertainment we'll have a pas de deux Prix Caprilli with Flsh and Portia

flshgordon
Nov. 8, 2007, 01:14 PM
Portia we have a lot in common.....I grew up riding saddleseat too!!!:lol: :lol: :lol: See you really can teach an old dog new tricks :winkgrin:

Now for teaching the young dogs... :lol:

flshgordon
Nov. 8, 2007, 01:15 PM
hey - for next year's Sat. evening entertainment we'll have a pas de deux Prix Caprilli with Flsh and Portia

I LOFF this idea! I don't know what Dheacon looks like though....not sure he'd complement a leggy bay Oldenburg ;)

Those guys looked like they were having SO much fun on saturday-really made me want to join in!

yaya
Nov. 8, 2007, 01:27 PM
I grew up riding saddleseat too!

And Portia, you are SOOOOO right about it being hard to get rid of saddleseat legs. The hands are hard, too. If something goes wrong, first thing I do is raise my hands!

jackalini
Nov. 8, 2007, 02:42 PM
Then you can add 2 legs (4 horse, 2 you, 2 extra) and be an octupus with Luna's long legs, KB can add the tail and fin and make Mr. M into an orca (Baby-mu), and I can mock up some tusks and ride the brown walrus. :lol::lol:

But yes, I wish I'd seen the freestyle - heard the rave reviews. Dang sister getting engaged. Wouldn't you know it, family getting in the way of my personal time. Eesh. :winkgrin:

Portia
Nov. 8, 2007, 11:31 PM
I LOFF this idea! I don't know what Dheacon looks like though....not sure he'd complement a leggy bay Oldenburg ;) Substitute Hanoverian for Oldenburg and you've described Dheacon too. He's a lean, 17 hand plain bay. Actually, you could pretty much take that photo of Luna, black out the star and the sock, and put Dheacon's name on it. :)

I don't have any good photos of him online yet, but here's one I took at the HDS summer show.

yaya, too true on the saddleseat hands -- mine just automatically creep up there, especially when I'm sitting in a dressage saddle!

SGray
Nov. 9, 2007, 09:23 AM
okay - I'm gonna go find an old prix caprilli test and modify it for ya'll pas de deux -- then ya'll can practice on your own for a while and later together

someone else will have to figure out your costumes

Mariequi
Nov. 17, 2007, 12:30 PM
Nothing plain about Dheacon, color or otherwise!

ESG
Nov. 17, 2007, 08:59 PM
The only thing "D" about "Dheacon" is his expression. "Duh, de duh - duh de duh". That's in the stable, mind you. Then, when he's under saddle, it changes to, 'Dah-dah-dah-dah! I'm here! The party can start now!". :D

Jen, can you tell I loff your horse? :winkgrin:

Portia
Nov. 20, 2007, 12:44 PM
Thank you both, Marie and Beth. :D He's such a sweet boy and is happy so long as someone (human or horse) is paying attention to him.

Continuing his dual career, he went out and did the level 1 jumpers at the Final Chase show last week. Jumped around clear but slow, and happy as a lark. :D The only problem was the announcer kept pronouncing his name D-Con -- like the mouse traps! ;)

Mariequi
Nov. 20, 2007, 03:55 PM
Oh, dear. I knew the spelling would throw some of those guys.