PDA

View Full Version : Holy Gadgets Batman! Is it REALLY this simple?

pintopiaffe
Oct. 2, 2007, 02:37 PM
HAS to be coincidence, right? I mean, there is no "miracle" pad.

Or is there?

My ThinLine pads arrived today. I was actually pretty dissapointed. A) they were black (I was expecting white) and B) there wasn't much TO them. I had ordered the saddle fitting pads and the insert pads to play with to help lift the back of the Ancient Passier ever-so-slightly. I figured I could always use the shims here and there, and if I liked them, THEN I'd shell out the outrageous amount for the $heep$kin version. (which conviniently has pockets for the rear shims)

I played with them a bit, used artists tape to hold them together and lightly tack them to the Bartl halfpad. Duboiously got on. They're so... *nothing* to them... :rolleyes:

Walk was... 'eh. He was pokey and a bit stiff. Not unusual. Beginning trot was no big revelation. Pokey and a bit stiff. Imagine. :lol:

Then we cantered.

:eek:

I have this issue in the Ancient Passier that I slide around, and end up, at times, 'slapping' around at the canter. I think most folks understand what I'm saying. HE's happy in the saddle, but it's big for me, and with the drought, the ground is cement, gaits aren't so springy, my back and hips have been really the pits... it's not been entirely pretty lately. :dead: A cashel lift pad helped some, but not *enough* (so it's not *just* the lift aspect of it, is what I'm getting at)

I sat, quietly, softly following seat... almost NO jarring at all. Canter was soft, uphill and just yummy.

Must be a fluke. I mean, we had a GREAT school on Sunday. (though I could not, admittedly, sit the trot.) Yest'dy off. Fluke.

But then, since his back was now supple and he was more warmed up, we moved back to trot work. And I could SIT it. Without a heck of a lot of effort. The sitting trot we'd found before, that is just the kind you can sit all day and play with, but that we'd lost along the way this year.

Now, we HAD a great ride on Sunday. After some not-so-much-great rides last week. But it was good. Big, stretchy, reachy trot. Some better contact & submission.

So I'm arguing with myself here. It's just COINCIDENCE, isn't it? I mean, it's a breakthrough I've been working towards all summer, since we first got The Abundance of Forward Trot.

It really can't be just these stupid tiny little black pads, can it?

:confused:

I ended up riding an hour, without even realising it. Playing a LOT. Seeing if the sitting trot was a fluke. If the canter was a fluke. Building the lovely slower (dare I say slightly collected? ) trot to a medium--STILL SITTING IT--and bringing it back.

I can't say his gaits were any better, if anything, they were softer, but not bigger. Contact was happier. Suppleness and submission were there. Lately I've been exhausted and spent around 40 minutes and really have to be creative and dedicated to get closer to 50 or an hour for condition's sake. Today I looked at the watch and it was 50 and I was really surprised.

So tell me it's just coincidence. That it happened to just all come together today.

Really, tell me that, because I'm about to go to work and sign up for 20 or so hours of OT so I can afford the $heep$kin version. Even if it does have the rolled back and I hate that.

OnyxThePony
Oct. 2, 2007, 03:37 PM
Told ya ;)

PS I wouldn't consider it a 'gadget'.
PPS- you can order them in white too :)

Somantu
Oct. 2, 2007, 03:53 PM
I had a very similar experience when I got mine. I only have the halfpad in the ultra thin. No shims or pockets. Just a floppy piece of white "rubber".

Made a visible difference in the way I ride. I'm now convinced that it's magic.:winkgrin:

P.S. Don't regret having the black one -- I have a white one that is now just dull and dingy (sp?). But it sits under my saddle, so no worries.

Dressage Art
Oct. 2, 2007, 06:34 PM
It really can't be just these stupid tiny little black pads, can it?

It can. Try to put a tiny pebble in your boots and go run - see the difference - now tell me if the tiny pebble makes a difference?

PS: when using the pads, make sure that you clean extra good horse's back under them to avoid getting the "heat bumps" on horse's back that makes horse's back sore from using a pad ;)

neVar
Oct. 2, 2007, 07:29 PM
Yes it can- when i first saw them at the trade show i passed them a million time going "ooh god yet another pad" i finally got wrangled into stopping (i think there was candy involved" and my jaw DROPPED at seeing the golf ball.
I ordered some- and they gave me a demo pad. At the time i rode just on my cotton pad with nothing else- custom fit saddle- princess and the pea type horse... put it on and VOILA he went FANTASTIC.... ok i'm thining COULD just be that it's a shock absorbing pad right??
Put gel pad on next day- nope felt the same as with no pad. (of course checking saddle fit)
Put thin line back on WENT fantastic. . . i did this for 10 days back a nd forth between all the pads i could get my hands on- I sat quieter, i FELT better- my BACK didn't hurt as much. . . ANd my saddle stayed more centered at the mount (which if you have heard my stories you know what that ment for this horse!)

My trainer (and good friend) won't use em on the young horses because "once they learn how good it can be they get REALLY cranky if they don't get it one day!"

Now do i think these are the 'bees knees" yes- and i think there are other pads that are Very good as well (sheepskin for one). BUt what i love the most of these is how little it affects the saddle fit (vs say the Cavallo pads- which Do affect fit- but are fantastic pads as well!)

PS i have a black one- prefer it over the white- it blends in with the SADDLE. if i had a brown saddle i'd go for a white one to go with teh numnah/pad (ie jump saddle) but for Dq's in a black saddle i always recommend the black ones

andy825
Oct. 2, 2007, 07:37 PM
You have now all convinced me that I need to buy one (or more) of these wondrous, magical, life improving pads that do your laundry and even make you breakfast in the morning.

So who has the best prices online?

EqTrainer
Oct. 2, 2007, 07:41 PM
I tried one and saw no difference. In eight horses.

Now, a Mattes pad? Oh yes.

pintopiaffe
Oct. 2, 2007, 07:43 PM
www.aretesaddlery.com (http://www.aretesaddlery.com)

is the best I've found, though sometimes you can do better on Ebay.

And Nevar, that's the only thing... my saddle for this guy is brown (the Ancient Passier) so it does contrast and 'show'. But not much. Right now I'm using the inserts over the Bartl 1/2 pad with carpet tape to hold it all together.

I wonder if I can convince them to make me a sheepskin 1/2 pad without the back roll? (I like sheepskin against the horse, then a square pad to keep the saddle clean... but with the rolled edges you have to do it the other way or things get really hinky.)

I can't wait to ride tomorrow to see if it was a fluke or what. :yes:

Soldier06
Oct. 2, 2007, 08:24 PM
Snuck over here from hunterland.;)

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my thinline pad. It makes the biggest difference in Soldier. I have just tried just about every pad under the sun to make his back "happier" (for lack of a better word). Beval's, gel pads, foam things ect... his highness does not like any of it. He got his fancy saddle, which is even fitted to him.
Nothing was "wrong" and he would still come out nicely in the hack, and jumped nice, but the thinline just bumped everything up. We discovered his inner hunter. :lol: Rounds over the fences, and wins the hack. So much for my eq. horse.;):lol:

Blessing or curse?- well I lost my eq. horse when he discovered how he could jump with it, but he's alot happier with it. :) Won't ride without it.

atr
Oct. 2, 2007, 08:34 PM
I really like mine too. Found that back to sit the trot on...

Eqtrainer, I wonder if it's because you are a BETTER RIDER than us? (No offence to anyone else who has replied, but you know what I mean :))

KrazyTBMare
Oct. 2, 2007, 08:49 PM
I was skeptical so I ordered mine from the Thinline website b/c you get a month trial and if you dont like it, return it for a full refund.

My mare just loves hers. Shes so much more willing to give her back and relax and the gaits are just so bouncy and its just really lovely.

No more bracing with her neck, jaw, and just is a happy go lucky girl.

:) Def is the pad.

Foxhound
Oct. 2, 2007, 09:02 PM
I got one of the sheepskin ones for under $200 on ebay, with free shipping. I love it.

mtngirl
Oct. 3, 2007, 12:52 AM
I've had one for over 15 years and it's just now beginning to show signs of wear. Still passes the golf ball test. Won't ride without it. I can tell a difference in my back if I don't use it. My back becomes sore and achy.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! In fact, other than my saddle, it's probably the longest lasting piece of equipment I've got. Bought a nice new, shaped one in black for show.

I've often wondered why someone hasn't incorporated this into the seat of some saddles.

Dressage Art
Oct. 3, 2007, 01:42 AM
Do you know how thin Line compares to Supra core?

http://www.supracor.com/equestrian/dressage_cool_grip.htm

pintopiaffe
Oct. 3, 2007, 02:21 AM
I've got a Supracore and never had any reaction either way about it.

He's about the same with Supracore as sheepskin--likes them, but not as dramatic as this.

egontoast
Oct. 3, 2007, 05:45 AM
I use one on two horses but frankly haven't noticed anything magical about it. I like it because it is not bulky but didn't see any difference for my horses or me compared to using the regular gel pad.

Ange
Oct. 3, 2007, 06:03 AM
I love it on most horses, but once in a while it interferes with the half-halt. I have two half-siblings in the barn, and with the thin-line pad on I have to HALF HALT, without it I can do my usual soft half halt. The Arabs love it, I won't ride them without it.

Rusty Stirrup
Oct. 3, 2007, 06:14 AM
I noticed the same reaction when I got my treeless saddle.

EqTrainer
Oct. 3, 2007, 09:45 AM
I really like mine too. Found that back to sit the trot on...

Eqtrainer, I wonder if it's because you are a BETTER RIDER than us? (No offence to anyone else who has replied, but you know what I mean :))

No offence to anyone either, but I did wonder if it was because I don't bounce in the saddle. Unfortunately I also no longer bounce *when I hit the ground* :lol:

des
Oct. 3, 2007, 09:56 AM
Unfortunately I also no longer bounce *when I hit the ground* :lol:

Don't worry Sistah ... I'm with ya there!

However, I'm wondering if this would help my little reining mare. We've had a problem with saddles on her for a while now. Poor thing has to go out in an old dressage saddle I had for another horse. K... can you all just see it.. a reining horse with a dressage saddle? Brings new meaning to "Cowboy Dressage".

pintopiaffe
Oct. 3, 2007, 02:38 PM
Well, day two and similarly good report.

Did hillwork today, as scheduled, as much as it was tempting to go play again. He needs the conditioning work.

He was soft and relaxed--he can get VERY uh... erm... Exhuberant once we get to canter sets. :rolleyes: :lol:

Canter was much, much easier to sit. Didn't really do any sitting trot.

I do need to find a proper pocket pad, it appears. Kind of a pain to be sticking stuff together with carpet tape. Though it works for now. Schneiders has an interesting half-pad available. And either the Equine Comfort or Fleeceworks pads supposedly will accept both the insert and the shims.

So far, so good. WAY better than a cashel lift pad, even if it's a bit cumbersome to put together at the moment.

kb
Oct. 5, 2007, 01:55 PM
Well....I have a friend that has been raving about hers for a while, but like you I was kind of skeptical. After reading this thread I thought - we have battled back soreness for a while so what do I have to lose! So I tried it last night and we had a very nice ride. He was using his back so nicely I couldn't believe it. Before I order my own though, I am going to give it a few more trys....but if all goes well, I will be placing an order! Thanks pintopiaffe!

citydog
Oct. 5, 2007, 02:20 PM
:lol:

Very funny. I had a similar experience. "There's *no* way he's going better because of this ridiculously overpriced little pad. No. Way."

I use a full Mattes sheepskin on the trails and for hunting and the Thinline (over a Rambo or PolyPad) for ring work. Love 'em both. Was *never* a fan of any sort of gel pad or special pad previously, at all.

meaty ogre
Oct. 5, 2007, 07:51 PM
What is the golf ball test?

Are you all drinking the kool aid or are they really that awesome? I need to go find a website or something because I've never heard of these.

pintopiaffe
Oct. 5, 2007, 08:12 PM
I am SURE I must be drinking the cool aid. Or someone's spiking my Sea Dog Raspberry Wheat Ale. Because we had another fabulous school today. SO good I had to quit and finish on the road, to end on a 'perfect pony' moment and reward him. Canter, counter canter, and picking up the counter canter lead were just amazing. And the gound is cement.

company website is: thinlineinc.com

But aretesaddlery.com is just about the lowest price you can find, though Ebay often has deals.

Seriously, it's this thin, small, flimsy piece of rubberish stuff. There is absolutely no logical reason there should be this much difference.

Gonna work some OT to afford the proprietary $heep$kin pad. :dead:

meaty ogre
Oct. 5, 2007, 09:02 PM
Ok. I'm teetering on the edge. I even pulled out the old credit card. Why doesn't the website explain the difference between the Thinline and the ultra thinline? Does the majik happen with the regular one (cause I intend to buy the cheapest one if/when I do cave in) or do I have to go with the ultra in order to receive the majikal effects?

Thanks!

horsefree
Oct. 5, 2007, 09:10 PM
This might be a stupid question, but I just got a Thinline half pad. Does everyone else pull it up into the gullet of the saddle away from the withers like you would with a regular old pad, too? Or will that somehow ruin its wonderfulness? (By making it cover less surface area or something?)

pintopiaffe
Oct. 5, 2007, 09:20 PM
The Ultra is THINNER. What I learned is if the saddle fits perfectly, the ultra will not alter fit.

I got both the insert pad and the shims in the regular ThinLine as I wanted some saddle correction.

If you search this board, there are some posts regarding regular vs. ultra... and others' experiences (not just this giddy, mindless new convert :lol: )

As to pulling it up in the gullet--I would *think* you'd want to pull it up as much as any other pad, no? As I said, I was pretty darn UNimpressed at how slim the full inserts are (go under the full panels) and yet... they work...<shrugs> Hopefully someone with more knowledge/experience will answer that for you ;)

horsefree
Oct. 5, 2007, 10:40 PM
[QUOTE=pintopiaffe;2723666]
As to pulling it up in the gullet--I would *think* you'd want to pull it up as much as any other pad, no? [QUOTE]

Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought, too. I can't see that the wonderfulness could possibly extend to no rubbing/slipping at all, too. It would just be too much goodness... although isn't no slipping another one of the miraculous Thinline claims?

At any rate, I haven't experienced magic happening yet. But I have a three year old and we don't do very much. The rave reviews were enough to make me feel like the Thinline was more like an investment in his future.

SillyHorse
Oct. 6, 2007, 09:16 AM
I bought my Thinine Ultra half pad a two months ago, and noticed a difference in my horse's willingness to use his back right away. We have struggled with back problems for years, and he was always tight and protective of his back.

My trainer rode him yesterday for the first time in six months and about five minutes into the ride said, "Wow -- his back is like butter!"

jn4jenny
Oct. 6, 2007, 05:52 PM
pintopiaffe, your conversion speeches are working!

I already own a $heep$kin correction pad from Mattes, so I figured Thinline was out of the picture for me. But thanks to this thread, I took another look at the Thinline web site, and there's an itty bitty note on the "Saddle Fitter Pad Shims" page that says "To order shims to fit the Mattes pad, call us."

It's probably not quite as good as having the lovely Thinline Sheepskin Comfort Pad, but considering that my horse NEEDS the correction pad and I strongly prefer the open spine design on the Mattes pad, Thinline shims are better than no Thinline at all!

Off to go put the Thinline shims for Mattes pads on my Xmas list...

rivenoak
Oct. 7, 2007, 01:06 AM
I've had a ThinLine contour pad since the late 1980s/early 1990s-can't remember exactly when I bought it. One of my favorite things & I've tried lots (supracor, saddleright, UGLI pad, etc).

Know what really sold me on it? Having some of their shoe inserts. Yup. At one time, those were available. And knowing what a good product those were for my tootsies, made me truly believe in the results I felt with the pad I put on the horses.

Showjumper28
Oct. 7, 2007, 07:51 AM
Ok. I'm teetering on the edge. I even pulled out the old credit card. Why doesn't the website explain the difference between the Thinline and the ultra thinline? Does the majik happen with the regular one (cause I intend to buy the cheapest one if/when I do cave in) or do I have to go with the ultra in order to receive the majikal effects?

Thanks!

Having spoken to the owner serveral times about these pads, I can tell you what she told me about these pads. The difference between the Ultra and the regular is that the Ultra is thinner, for an even closer contact to the horse. There for it is recommended for DQ, Hunter Princess, and anyone else not doing high impact riding. The regular is recommended for anyone, and specifically jumpers, eventers, reining, and any others that are higher impact on the horses back. And yes, the majik does happen with the regular one.

I personally have the contoured pad, the half pad (in the regular thinline) and the sheepskin ultra thinline pad. I just love love love love that sheepskin pad.
And yes, I do pull them slightly into the gullet off the horses withers. Hope that helps! :winkgrin:

ThreeFigs
Oct. 7, 2007, 03:23 PM
Ooh, ooh, I think I want one!

But do you guys use it "only" between the saddle and the horse, or over the top of your regular saddle pad?

Half pad or full?

Regular or Ultra? Dressage rider here with a real Princess of a horse.

SillyHorse
Oct. 7, 2007, 03:41 PM
Mine goes between the saddle and the pad.

Hilary
Oct. 7, 2007, 04:47 PM
Never tried one of these but my TB loves his sheepskin pad - definitely notice a difference. Now, if this works so well, why do you also need a Mattes pad? Just curious.

I might give it a try for my mare who tends to get tight in the back from being her ever-busy/vigilant chief mare self.

petitefilly
Oct. 7, 2007, 04:58 PM
LOL Are you guys getting a kickback? :)

I've had a thin line pad for eons, years ago when they were extremely cheap. I cannot believe they are so expensive these days. I also drilled holes in mine with a drill for more heat to escape my horse's back. It works like a charm. I have the half shaped pad that fits under my saddle, nearly invisible to the naked eye.

luvs2ride79
Oct. 7, 2007, 07:06 PM
I have to say, I LOVE my ThinLine pads too! My daughter says she can really notice the difference with rather than without. She says the trot is easier to sit and posting isn't so difficult (she's just learning to post!). My mare's canter transitions have really smoothed out, she doesn't toss her head up like she used to, and she seems to have more energy at the end of a long ride. I was very skeptical that a thin piece of rubber-y stuff would do any good, but boy it really does! LOL I pull mine up into the gullet a bit as well.

For those of you that are still unsure, just do it! You can return the pad within 30 days for a refund if it's not everything you hoped for ;).

I got mine HERE (http://aretesaddlery.com/tack/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=15). The prices are a little cheaper than on the manufacturer site. My daughter's trainer has the saddle fitter pad and just raves over it (she's the one that convinced me to try one in the first place).

luvs2ride79
Oct. 7, 2007, 07:11 PM
pintopiaffe, your conversion speeches are working!

I already own a $heep$kin correction pad from Mattes, so I figured Thinline was out of the picture for me. But thanks to this thread, I took another look at the Thinline web site, and there's an itty bitty note on the "Saddle Fitter Pad Shims" page that says "To order shims to fit the Mattes pad, call us."

It's probably not quite as good as having the lovely Thinline Sheepskin Comfort Pad, but considering that my horse NEEDS the correction pad and I strongly prefer the open spine design on the Mattes pad, Thinline shims are better than no Thinline at all!

Off to go put the Thinline shims for Mattes pads on my Xmas list...

The ThinLine Saddlefitter pad has the open spine like the Mattes pad. It's just the Comfort skeepskin pad that doesn't.

EasyStreet
Oct. 7, 2007, 07:52 PM
I have been wanting one too, and this post is making me want to go out and bid more work so that I can get one. Didn't relize there were so many choices in style. I too would like to know what the golf ball test is, so please anyone enlighten me cause I am much to embarressed to say what I am imagineing!!:eek::eek::lol::lol:

Soldier06
Oct. 7, 2007, 09:04 PM
I love mine!
I ride a women's horses and I convinced her to buy it and try it (after using mine) and the difference in the horse was amazing.
Soldier isn't the same without it.

I do pull mine up into the gullet, I ride with a baby pad, mattes pad, and then the thinline (ultra). Love it, happy horse, happy rider. :)

lstevenson
Oct. 7, 2007, 09:14 PM
Thinline Pads are the best!

I have only recently converted to them. I used to use thick gel pads, and the Thinline's are so much better! You still have the shock absorbing ability, but you feel so much closer to the horse.

mtngirl
Oct. 8, 2007, 10:09 AM
For those of you interested in the "golf ball" test:

Take several types of pads, gel pad, mattes, foam..whatever you might use beneath your saddle and line them up on a hard surface (typical floor, wood, concrete, pavement, hard ground etc). Drop a golf ball from about waist high and watch how high it bounces and how long (or how many bounces) it takes until it settles. With the Thinline pad, the first bounce is immediately muted and will be much lower than the others. The Thinline pad "deadens" or "absorbs" the shock or bounce.

I have to admit that when I first saw this, I really thought there was some sort of trickery going on. But the demonstrator handed me the golf ball and I moved the two pads (a regular riser type pad and the Thinline) and tried it out on concrete, pavement, tile and a hard packed dirt floor with the same results. I tried the same test using my friend's gel pad, and again, the bounce of the ball was subdued much more quickly.

Didn't know they use to make shoe inserts. Wished I had some of those. They'd really be a help when I'm directing traffic on hard pavement for hours on end!

jesterjigger
Oct. 8, 2007, 10:31 AM
Thanks for posting this! I ordered one for my guy. He's older (18) and we've just started learning "real" dressage in the last couple of years, so I think he deserves it, for all of the years he put up with me riding pseudo-dressage and HUS/WP too.

mbm
Oct. 8, 2007, 11:43 AM
question: if the pad absorbs so much, how are you going to give subtle seat aids?

ie: how can you ride off your seat if your seat is being nullified?

Iride
Oct. 8, 2007, 11:46 AM
Wondering... can a Thinline rubber pad be used in conjunction WITH a regular Mattes half pad? If so, what is the best way to do this?

Gunnerhorse
Oct. 8, 2007, 12:26 PM
Having spoken to the owner serveral times about these pads, I can tell you what she told me about these pads. The difference between the Ultra and the regular is that the Ultra is thinner, for an even closer contact to the horse. There for it is recommended for DQ, Hunter Princess, and anyone else not doing high impact riding. The regular is recommended for anyone, and specifically jumpers, eventers, reining, and any others that are higher impact on the horses back. And yes, the majik does happen with the regular one.

:

From reading about them it seems like the Ultra is recommended for riders with back problems and the regular one for horses with tight/sore backs. What if you have a rider with back problems AND a horse who gets a sore back? Do you get the SAME amount of majik for both horse and rider with the 1/4 inch Thinline? :confused: For those of you who have ridden in both the Thinline and the Ultra, can you feel the difference in contact?

G horse

mtngirl
Oct. 8, 2007, 01:02 PM
mbm: I don't know how it does it, but it doesn't seem to interfer with subtle seat aids. I've used it on many different horses, including one that was very sensitive and one that would be a deadhead to aids if you let him. I can't tell that the Thinline pad dulls the aids at all. Just my 2 cents worth.

Speedy
Oct. 8, 2007, 01:41 PM
What if you have a rider with back problems AND a horse who gets a sore back? Do you get the SAME amount of majik for both horse and rider with the 1/4 inch Thinline? :confused: For those of you who have ridden in both the Thinline and the Ultra, can you feel the difference in contact?

G horse

That's me! I have a terrible back, and one of my horses is pretty sensitive in the back - I also have both the 1/4 inch and the ultra. I use the 1/4 inch for everyday work, which works great for me and my horse, and I save the ultra for competition, when I want something white against my white pad and want an even closer feel. Generally, though, I prefer the greater level of protection from the slightly thicker pad because it doesn't affect my saddle fit anyway.

ponyjumper4
Oct. 8, 2007, 05:10 PM
It's nice to see so many people loving our products! I hope I was able to meet some of you at Devon this year. What makes our products so neat and actually work is simply the design and technology used in making it. It's designed to actually work and last.

I apologize for any haziness on the differences between Ultra and ThinLine on our website. We just upgraded and redesigned it so we're still working out all the kinks and getting you the information you need easier.

Depending on which product you use, ThinLine or Ultra, your horse, your type of riding, etc, effects what you may notice from our pads. An experienced rider on an experienced horse, probably won't notice much of a difference in the 1/4" ThinLine, as what it offers is the most impact protection to keep your horse's back healthy under extreme impact situations, as well as to protect the backs of young horses and school horses (bless their hearts). It's also the pad for horses that have back pain and stiffness--I've seen it work wonders on some old school horses--made them happy about their jobs again.

The Ultra is for those with experienced horses say, starting first level dressage and up, and is more of a performance enchancing product, helping the rider to maintain a more stable seat, therefore actually INCREASING the effectiveness of your aids. This is why you are seeing so many top level riders starting to use these pads. Riders like Steffen Peters, Carol Lavell, Michael Barrisone, Chris Hickey, George Williams, and Betsy Steiner (just to name a few :) ) are all using the Ultra ThinLine pads because they work--we don't pay them to endorse our products.

Please feel free to contact us if have any questions--that's what I sit in the office in front of this computer for :)

JackSprats Mom
Oct. 8, 2007, 09:41 PM
MBM

question: if the pad absorbs so much, how are you going to give subtle seat aids?

ie: how can you ride off your seat if your seat is being nullified?

Saying that SO many riders seem to ride with a million pads between them and their horse (or at least thats what it looks like with the full pads, and half pads and sheepskin and.......)I don't think it would make blind bit of difference :winkgrin:

Somantu
Oct. 9, 2007, 12:23 PM
http://http://www.tackoftheday.com/default.aspx (http://http//www.tackoftheday.com/default.aspx)

39 bucks plus cheap shipping!

Enjoy! :winkgrin:

HMM
Oct. 9, 2007, 12:46 PM
I think the one listed on Tack of the Day is the pony half pad as the measurements are a little smaller than stated on ThinLine's website for the half pad. I was excited to see Tack of the Day have it too, but after comparing TOTD's description with ThinLine's description, the one on TOTD is an inch smaller in width and a couple inches smaller in length.

Somantu
Oct. 9, 2007, 12:47 PM
@#$%&*^!!!!

HMM
Oct. 9, 2007, 12:55 PM
Ditto that Somantu:lol: I had one in TOTD's cart before I doublechecked everything!

Sebastian
Oct. 9, 2007, 01:27 PM
Hee Hee!! Just bought one at TOTD!!! Based on this thread, I started thinking it would be wonderful for my older TB who is pretty sensy in the back AND me, who is sensy in the back as well. Have been thinking of ways to save my pennies...then -- WAA LA!!!

I love TOTD... :yes:
Seb

ponyjumper4
Oct. 9, 2007, 01:34 PM
What's on Tack of the Day is one of our older models. It's not as short as the pony pad, but not as long or wide as our current half pad.

MyReality
Oct. 9, 2007, 01:49 PM
Of all the products that claim to make a difference, this one really makes a difference. A much more superior product than gel pad or sheepskin. Edited to add, the thinline people seem to really know dressage riders because finally a pad that is wide enough for a dressage saddle, and cut deep in the front for our big horses. Most pads are way too tight.

kmw2707
Oct. 9, 2007, 02:11 PM
TOTD is sold out already!

pintopiaffe
Oct. 9, 2007, 02:11 PM
Ponyjumper--you guys need to offer the sheepskin without a rolled back edge.

Many of us prefer to put the sheepskin against the horse and the light pad over. You can't do that with a rolled back edge. :no:

Had another amazing ride today. I am really astounded. Perhaps it's just a 'breakthrough' that we've been working toward all summer... perhaps the pads were the last piece in the puzzle. Whatever, I'm NOT changing anything, and I'm thrilled. :winkgrin:

pintopiaffe
Oct. 9, 2007, 02:14 PM
TOTD is sold out already!

Argh! :mad: I was out RIDING and missed it, it seems like that size would be perfect on top of my current sheepskin... would sit right inside the edges. :(

Dressage Art
Oct. 9, 2007, 02:17 PM
Hi ponyjumper4,

Can you please explain the difference between supracore cool grip pad (http://www.supracor.com/equestrian/cool_grip_pads.htm )and thinline pad? Do you think if I will buy a thinline pad I will see a difference in how my horse goes from using a supracore pad? I've been quite happy with Supracore and love the fact that it breathes so much, but trying to figure out if I should switch to thin line? also I notised that thinline goes on the top of the saddle pad and Supracore goes under the saddle pad. Why?

MTshowjumper
Oct. 9, 2007, 02:49 PM
I ordered mine off TOTD. I don't think they are sold out, maybe you should check again.

slpeders
Oct. 9, 2007, 02:53 PM
I ordered mine off TOTD. I don't think they are sold out, maybe you should check again.

Agreed- I just checked and it doesn't indicate they're sold out....but I need the larger size. Rats.

ETA this quote from TOTD:
The ThinLine company is discontinuing this size and shape from their product line and have passed them to us to pass to you at this great savings, so be aware there are limited quantities available.

pintopiaffe
Oct. 9, 2007, 03:09 PM
I get a big ol' red Sold Out button when you go to the order page.

slpeders
Oct. 9, 2007, 03:17 PM
I get a big ol' red Sold Out button when you go to the order page.

Now I do too. :( maybe my cookies needed to be refreshed!

the prices at arete saddlery aren't too bad though....not under $50, but not too bad....

Penthilisea
Oct. 9, 2007, 05:28 PM
I missed it! I am on a budget and have been drooling over these pads and TOTD had them and I missed it! I AM SO BUMMED!

horsegirl520
Oct. 15, 2007, 09:52 PM
Why do people use both a sheepskin pad and Thinline pad??

Hony
Oct. 15, 2007, 10:03 PM
Why do people use both a sheepskin pad and Thinline pad??

Because a thinline won't absorb sweat.

jn4jenny
Oct. 18, 2007, 07:26 PM
TOTD Thinline buyer checking in. My pad arrived today. I intended to chop it up and make shims to put in my Mattes Correction Half Pad, but to my delight, it was exactly the right size to lay OVER my Mattes pad and not look stupid. So I just took some shims out of my Mattes Correction Half Pad to account for the new layer.

I hate to say it because I'm a big skeptic, but it DID help absorb the shock. My horse always moves out pretty nicely and swings thru the back, but today there was a little more back swinging yet it was a little easier to sit. Horsie was very wiling to move forward (maybe a little too willing!). I will keep using the pad for a week before I make a verdict, but so far I'm impressed.

On the downside, I ditto what someone else said about "makes half-halting harder." Either my horse was just having a day today (very possible since we just moved to a new barn) or the Thinline really does affect the half-halting.

Iride
Oct. 18, 2007, 09:41 PM
I have the ThinLine Contour Pad (http://www.thinlineinc.com/store/car...ct_detail&p=10 (http://www.thinlineinc.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=10)) and while I think it helps my horse in some ways, I find it hard to keep it up off his withers. It's not 'shaped' in the withers to give clearance, so I try to lift it into the gullet but it doesn't always stay there. Any suggestions?

Re Mattes -- have Mattes half pads always had the raised spinal clearance? Or were some older models not as raised in the spinal area (or softer there)? I was looking at one at the store which seemed very soft in that area. Maybe I was imagining it.

pintopiaffe
Oct. 18, 2007, 10:29 PM
<evil cackle> ahhh... new believers.... mwuhahaha...

Seriously, I am not affilliated with the company or the product in any way. I can safely say we have progressed more in the past 2 weeks--with sporadic schooling due to some family emergencies--than we have all summer.

In all fairness, we were headed there... it COULD be coincidence that we just finally hit the breakthrough point... but things have just really, really come together. The final piece of the puzzle was finding a product to help with the last bit of sliding around in the too-big-now saddle. I'm actually feeling somewhat elegant and effective these days... and Himself is happy in the back with sporadic joint supps. Usually his 'throughness' is noticeably less or totally absent when the joint supp isn't there. Due to my travelling for the family stuff, the joint junk hasn't been consistent--and he's still going really, really nicely.

I think I *am* going to have to suck it up and get the half-pad methinks.

Horsepower
Oct. 19, 2007, 03:17 PM
Can these be cut down if they are too long for your saddle pads or saddle? My sheepskin pad only measure 20" front to back. Also, do most of you put it OVER the pad (whether sheepskin or cloth dressage pad)? I'm wondering if the half pad shape is less interfering with your leg against the horse?

Speedy
Oct. 19, 2007, 03:39 PM
Can these be cut down if they are too long for your saddle pads or saddle? My sheepskin pad only measure 20" front to back. Also, do most of you put it OVER the pad (whether sheepskin or cloth dressage pad)? I'm wondering if the half pad shape is less interfering with your leg against the horse?

I use the contour, and put it over the pad. Yes, you can trim them if you need to.

alacrity
Oct. 23, 2007, 10:05 AM
So after reading this thread I decided to bite the bullet and buy the Ultra Thinline half pad. I had back surgery a while ago which caused a weakness in my lower spine. I do exercises and work on it every day, but after riding I have a hard time walking. This of course is a fact I'd never admit to my doctor! ;)

Anyway... I've ridden in the Ultra Thinline for 2 weeks now and my "way of going" has improved, my comfort/fatigue level after riding has increased from a 3 to about a 9 and I would recommend it to anyone. It's made it possible for me to lengthen my rides and actually function after them which is a blessing and I'm so happy I bought one.

NoGreatMischief
Oct. 23, 2007, 10:20 AM
I received my Thinline Saddlefitter Pad yesterday! It was a day off for my horse, but will try it tonight. Will be interesting to see if the addition of the shims makes any difference (was previously using a sheepskin sans Thinline). :D

ponyjumper4
Oct. 23, 2007, 02:42 PM

Yes, you can trim it. Use a utility knife or a sharp pair of scissors. Make sure you have smooth edge cuts. "V" shaped cuts will tear and we will not warrant them. Your ThinLine needs to go over your regular pad. Our products are so thin, that it doesn't interfere with anything.

Dr. Doolittle
Oct. 23, 2007, 05:51 PM
Well, after reading this thread, I saw the pad on TOTD, and ordered it. (I figured, what the hey...it's reasonably priced, so worth a try ;)) (I've always used a Mattes pad on my sensitive chestnut mare, who *lives* to tighten her back :rolleyes:...)

I've only ridden in it about 3-4 times so far, but this past weekend, I did a dressage test in it at a competition, and got the best score I've ever received with this horse! :eek:

Could be a coincedence, but I have also found that A) it's easier to sit the trot (my lower back is never pain free :(), and b) my horse is now easier to bend in either direction, which might also be because there is less bulk between us, so she can feel my leg aids better.

In any case, another convert here--though the Thinline pad I got off TOTD is a little small for my dressage saddle, so just *barely* fits under it--and has to be carefully placed before I ride...luckily, it stays put! :)

pintopiaffe
Oct. 23, 2007, 07:04 PM
I have to say I feel a little better that other people are drinking the kool aid! :lol:

Three weeks in, and he is no longer sore in the loins to be groomed. I can curry him hard. All his LIFE he was senstive to brushing his back, until we went treeless. As my discomfort grew in the treeless this summer, so did his. Then he became really unhappy/tense in the other treed saddle.

I'm not saying saddle fit doesn't have a TON to do with it--he's happy in the Ancient Passier for whatever reason. But it's like this was the final piece to the puzzle.

Now, if they'd just make the girths with center elastic, or at least both ends. (or ideally, an anatomic girth with elastic in the middle and humane ends... ;) )

Candle
Oct. 24, 2007, 09:12 PM
My ultra thinline doesn't appear to do a whole lot for my filly, but I can tell a HUGE difference in my lower back stifffness/soreness from some surgeries when I ride in it. I actually don't like riding without it. Some of my friends thought I was making this up, since they ride in them and don't believe it does anything for rider comfort, but they don't have back issues either. I think it's in large part responsible for me being able to ride almost every day. I'm not so sore when I get off either, and its cut way down on my post-ride icing. Now if only my filly would agree with me :D

ponyjumper4
Oct. 26, 2007, 11:28 AM
Just wanted to let you guys know I will be at the Richmond VA, Equine Ex. this weekend. So if you missed the tack of the day sale come by and see me. I will be giving 20-30% off of select pads and will have lots of discounted closeout pads to choose from.
Hope to meet some of you this weekend!

MyReality
Oct. 26, 2007, 11:33 AM
ponyjumper4, when will there be an event or two near Toronto. I heard there was a booth in Caledon, which I missed. Will I see a Thinline booth at the Royal, and any sort of discount?

mephistopheles
Oct. 26, 2007, 12:00 PM
Just wanted to let you guys know I will be at the Richmond VA, Equine Ex. this weekend. So if you missed the tack of the day sale come by and see me. I will be giving 20-30% off of select pads and will have lots of discounted closeout pads to choose from.
Hope to meet some of you this weekend!

Will there be anything in Illinois ever? I'd love to see one of those before I shell out $$$. They sound phenomenal, however. :D

Catersun
Oct. 26, 2007, 11:24 PM
I saw the pads probably 5 or 6 years ago at an equine affair or something,and asked for one for christmas... got blown off at the time, but now I'm wishing I had pursued that request a little more.... hmmm maybe this christmas.

Just Passing Through
Oct. 27, 2007, 05:01 PM
Hi,
I'm new to this forum and I was reading all the great posts about the Matte's Correction Pad and the Thinline Pad.
Can someone tell me where to get the best price on a Matte's Pad and a Thinline pad ? I'd be most appreciative !

Thanks
JPT

Atheta21
Oct. 27, 2007, 07:12 PM
I just ordered the ThinLine Contour pad. Can I use it over or under a Mattes correction Pad or should I get the ThinLine Half Pad instead of the Contour pad? Thanks!

Sonesta
Oct. 27, 2007, 09:40 PM
Ok, you guys have convinced me. I just ordered a thinline pad. I'm gonna let all my students ride with it and will give an in-depth review when we are done. Have to tell you I am a born cynic. So, I'm not thinking it's gonna be a miracle worker. But I will certainly give my honest opinion.

Briggsie
Oct. 27, 2007, 10:25 PM
Okay....you guys convinced me....I am going to find out what all the talk is about. Where is the best place to get one for the best price?? Will it help with the young horse, springs in the hocks type of rides!???

slc2
Oct. 28, 2007, 08:17 AM
I don't think it's necessarily a fluke, it sounds like the saddle wasn't level and you raised it enough. I would expect that after a few rides, you don't really feel the difference any more.

When the saddle isn't level, the rider is fighting all the time to keep his position and is sliding around; the person might try to grip with his legs, causing an unsteady seat, get into a chair position or just get loose, like described in the first post. Putting something under the back of the saddle makes it easier for the rider to maintainn a more still position. This makes his aids with the reins better and helps the rider alot.

I don't think it matters what one puts behind the saddle - an expensive pad with shims, or a rolled up towel. Anything that doesn't put pressure on the back in one spot, stays put, and lifts the back of the saddle. Tack shops that sell hunt seat gear have sold 'bump pads' for many years that are thicker at the back, and one can buy one of the firm sleeping bag pads and make their own.

In some cases, the saddle sits up high in front because it's too narrow for the horse in front, because there is too much saddle pad or blanket under the front of the saddle, or because the horse is an odd shape. Checking the fit of the saddle with a saddle fitter can help.

Sabovee
Oct. 28, 2007, 08:36 AM
Another Thinline lover here. I heard so much about them here and from friends I bought a half pad one. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

I rode my upper level guy in it, WOW - a different horse, supple and easy through the back immediately, instead of the 20 minutes in, if I'm lucky that he usually is. I also have a lower level guy who is REALLY hard to sit. I rode him for the first time in it at a show last weekend. I got two 9's on my rider score and found him easy and soft to sit - which NEVER happens. I also showed my upper level guy at another show that weekend, his scores went up quite a lot, even with a judge I've shown in front of before.

I'm converted!

I saw the both at VA Equine Extravaganza. They have a 50% off bin as well, with some less than perfect pads (some are a tiny bit dirty, some are cut slightly wrong). I'm heading back there today and plan to pick up another one. If you're in the area the thinline pad alone is worth the trip!! Plus - Stephen Peters is there, "clinicing" at 2 something.

THANKS THINLINE!!!

pintopiaffe
Oct. 28, 2007, 06:53 PM
SLC, I'd agree--except that I'd used different products to raise the cantle, (sheepskin, a cashel pad, an air-cushion-neopreney-product... and never had the experience of FAR easier to sit gaits. Perhaps it's a matter of degree... entirely possible I'm now raising it *just* enough to be perfect...

But that doesn't explain why previously sensitive pony was able to have a metal curry used to bang off the mud today... pony who a month ago wouldn't let me use a jelly scrubber on his back without flinching. As I said--that went away at first with treeless, but then came back... now he's very happy again in the back.

It's not ALL joy and fluffyness... he had a couple days off his joint junk due to my travelling, and though he was moving better than he did a month ago, wasn't comfy enough really to sit much today. It's a balance, for sure.

But, the difference for BOTH of us together is what seems so remarkable.

I see myself collecting one or two more of these. :sigh: :lol:

Hobbs
Oct. 28, 2007, 07:41 PM
Do you ride in the thinline pad alone, or do you use it underneath another pad?

Iride
Oct. 28, 2007, 07:44 PM
And does anyone use it with a Mattes half pad?

Just Passing Through
Oct. 28, 2007, 09:13 PM
Oh no ! I'm nowhere near VA ! :( I won't be able to benefit from this wonderful sale. Where can I get a good deal online? Is there anywhere ??
I'm interested both in the Thinline and the Matte's.
Thanks
JPT
hdfarm@kaycee.net

atr
Oct. 28, 2007, 09:48 PM
I put mine under the saddle but over a simple cotton schooling pad.

Haven't tried with a sheepskin, but I'd put it on top of the sheepskin under the saddle if I did, then the sheepskin can do it's job of wicking sweat and filling in hollows, and the TL can do it's job of shock absorbtion.

ponyjumper4
Oct. 29, 2007, 12:43 PM
ponyjumper4, when will there be an event or two near Toronto. I heard there was a booth in Caledon, which I missed. Will I see a Thinline booth at the Royal, and any sort of discount?

I will try to answer everyone's questions later this evening, just got back from Richmond. We don't travel to Canada as we have a distributor and several dealers. To find out where ThinLine will be in Canada, visit Comfort Equestrian's website, www.comfortequestrian.com I do believe.

Blugal
Oct. 29, 2007, 02:03 PM
Since many people are raving about how much better their bad backs feel... I wonder if anyone has tried putting one of these on their office chair? I might have to order one & try it that way as well as on the horse!

jn4jenny
Oct. 29, 2007, 02:05 PM
Where can I get a good deal online? Is there anywhere ??
I'm interested both in the Thinline and the Matte's.

Unfortunately, both of these products are so great that they rarely go on sale. This is particularly true of the Mattes pads (not Matte's). To my knowledge, these are the best deals available on both:

Mattes - Wait for the VTO 25% off sale on Black Friday right after Thanksgiving. VTO ships flat-rate for $4.99 no matter how much you buy. Either get on their mailing list to get the Black Friday coupon code or watch the VTO web site carefully for info.

Alternately, you can try to buy one used at www.ewarmbloods.net/phpbb in the "Tack for Sale" forum. Lots of folks sell dressage Mattes pads there.

There is also a dealer on Ebay who is in Germany, but as they state clearly in their auction terms, it will take 3-6 weeks for them to ship the order to you from Germany.

Thinline - Try www.aretesaddlery.com or www.pinehurstsaddlery.com. Prices are slightly better than ordering right from Thinline, but if you order directly from Thinline, they'll give you a 30-day money back guarantee.

EqTrainer
Oct. 29, 2007, 02:31 PM
Well now I am starting to feel very naughty.. because after playing around with mine and not seeing any change, I cut it up and made pads for hoof boots :eek: I have to say, they seem to work pretty good.

ponyjumper4
Oct. 29, 2007, 08:24 PM
^And that would be why we now make hoof pads :) there have been a few founder horses that are thankfully still alive thanks to our hoof pads.

Some people notice a change immediately, some, it may take a few weeks (which is also why we offer the guarantee and for that long). There are a lot of factors involved that effect what you notice and how soon you notice it, such as the horse's issue, the rider's issue, saddle fit, how the horse moves, etc.

EqTrainer
Oct. 29, 2007, 08:29 PM
^And that would be why we now make hoof pads :) there have been a few founder horses that are thankfully still alive thanks to our hoof pads.

Some people notice a change immediately, some, it may take a few weeks (which is also why we offer the guarantee and for that long). There are a lot of factors involved that effect what you notice and how soon you notice it, such as the horse's issue, the rider's issue, saddle fit, how the horse moves, etc.

That's very cool. I thought they worked GREAT. Very little wear and tear on them either. You should advertise that more/better, I had no idea. Just got creative with the scissors one day :lol:

firstimpressioncounts
Oct. 30, 2007, 12:01 PM
okay I am starting to wonder if it would benefit my TB (and me!) I am always looking at other solutions.

Question- hope someone can answer-

He has defined withers and somewhat a defined spine. Can only be ridden in a sheepskin pad because no matter what saddle you use, placement of the saddle, etc, he would get rubs on his spine from the saddle pad (you know- the regular- everyday use saddle pad, etc.) Everyone kept insisting that it was the saddle but we've ruled out the saddle(s)- its the material of the saddle pad- guess he is senstive to that. (Even the saddle fitter was baffled- his saddle is fitted to him- looks good yet he would still get rubs).

The solution to the rubs was sheepskin saddle pads.. (not half pads- since it drives him nuts to feel the leather next to time and we can't use baby pads because of above noted problem). The pad has wither relief to boot (has a little slit in the front for the withers to peek out- I've never seen his withers peek out but I am sure he feels more comfortable with it regardless) I got the wither relief as I figured it wouldn't hurt to have it. He adores these saddle pads and I am hoping he will LOVE the thinline on top of that- except for one little tiny tibit..... hence a question->

So my question is: Would a thinline pad put too much pressure on his withers or do they stay well up during the entire ride (you know when saddling you bring the saddle pads up into the gullet to help it clear their spine).

Thanks! :)

FIC

kmw2707
Oct. 30, 2007, 12:39 PM
okay I am starting to wonder if it would benefit my TB (and me!) I am always looking at other solutions.

Question- hope someone can answer-

He has defined withers and somewhat a defined spine. Can only be ridden in a sheepskin pad because no matter what saddle you use, placement of the saddle, etc, he would get rubs on his spine from the saddle pad (you know- the regular- everyday use saddle pad, etc.) Everyone kept insisting that it was the saddle but we've ruled out the saddle(s)- its the material of the saddle pad- guess he is senstive to that. (Even the saddle fitter was baffled- his saddle is fitted to him- looks good yet he would still get rubs).

The solution to the rubs was sheepskin saddle pads.. (not half pads- since it drives him nuts to feel the leather next to time and we can't use baby pads because of above noted problem). The pad has wither relief to boot (has a little slit in the front for the withers to peek out- I've never seen his withers peek out but I am sure he feels more comfortable with it regardless) I got the wither relief as I figured it wouldn't hurt to have it. He adores these saddle pads and I am hoping he will LOVE the thinline on top of that- except for one little tiny tibit..... hence a question->

So my question is: Would a thinline pad put too much pressure on his withers or do they stay well up during the entire ride (you know when saddling you bring the saddle pads up into the gullet to help it clear their spine).

Thanks! :)

FIC

I just ordered one too. Can't wait to try it either this evening or tomorrow on various horses.

With regard to the above wither clearance question, I know these pads are able to be cut to size. I would think that if clearance were a problem you may be able to cut out the part of the pad that is interfering with the withers. Similar to a cut-back pad.

ponyjumper4
Oct. 30, 2007, 04:03 PM
I just ordered one too. Can't wait to try it either this evening or tomorrow on various horses.

With regard to the above wither clearance question, I know these pads are able to be cut to size. I would think that if clearance were a problem you may be able to cut out the part of the pad that is interfering with the withers. Similar to a cut-back pad.

yes, you can do that as well. I always pull mine up into the gullet some, but it's not completely necessary. It is a stretchy material that will give and not restrict. If you purchase one and like it, something that may interest you in the future is our new sheepskin dressage square. It's not full sheepskin, but comes down more than the sheepskin half pads, with the ThinLine built in, just like our half pads and cotton squares. We introduced those at Devon, but don't have them on the website yet as we haven't gotten our first real inventory in house yet. That should be in about 2 weeks or so.

kashmere
Oct. 30, 2007, 10:31 PM
ooh, ponyjumper, are you a rep for thinline? can i ask a question? i ordered one of your pads through arete, but apparently it was shipped directly from thinline since arete had sold out of the model i ordered. i live alll the way in Nova Scotia, Canada; pad was shipped Oct. 11th - clearly i'm on the edge of my seat waiting for it to come, would you have any guesstimates for me?

Classic Melody
Oct. 31, 2007, 07:35 PM
After a year or so of eyeing it, I got the ultra thinline through TOTD. I think it has made a difference. I have a narrow TB and if I lose balance slightly at the posting trot and hit the cantle a bit far back, he will naturally put his head up in defense. Since using the thinline I have tested him by posting a bit off-kilter (poor guy!) and he has trotted along happily without protesting! I'm very pleased.

VicarageVee
Oct. 31, 2007, 07:56 PM
so wait

you're telling me that there's a 100$ (around about) half-pad out there that works miracles?

and I paid 189$ for my Mattes? And its, *eh* nice?

boy did i get swindled!

ponyjumper4
Oct. 31, 2007, 09:31 PM
ooh, ponyjumper, are you a rep for thinline? can i ask a question? i ordered one of your pads through arete, but apparently it was shipped directly from thinline since arete had sold out of the model i ordered. i live alll the way in Nova Scotia, Canada; pad was shipped Oct. 11th - clearly i'm on the edge of my seat waiting for it to come, would you have any guesstimates for me?

Not quite a rep, I work directly in the company--I wear many hats :). All of Arete's products ship directly from us. I will check the status of your pad when I get in the office on my computer, you should have received it by now. It's usually only a 6-10 day ship internationally.

flea
Oct. 31, 2007, 09:53 PM
I have both the black thinline and white ultra thinline and love them!!! I am thinking...I teach PE in an elementary school and have had foot problems in the past from standing and walking all day year after year on what amounts to a concrete floor (has linoleum tiles over it) I also work part time at a friends tack store. There is an old old thinline pad there in the back. I am thinking about getting it and cutting it up to put in my tennis shoes for work. Do you know of anyone having any luck with that? I know you can't recommend it for people officially, but just wondering if anyone has tried it.

kashmere
Oct. 31, 2007, 11:33 PM
well that makes me nervous :( thanks anyway!

zinnniaz
Nov. 1, 2007, 06:53 AM
I have both the black thinline and white ultra thinline and love them!!! I am thinking...I teach PE in an elementary school and have had foot problems in the past from standing and walking all day year after year on what amounts to a concrete floor (has linoleum tiles over it) I also work part time at a friends tack store. There is an old old thinline pad there in the back. I am thinking about getting it and cutting it up to put in my tennis shoes for work. Do you know of anyone having any luck with that? I know you can't recommend it for people officially, but just wondering if anyone has tried it.

You know, just last nigth, as we were trick or treating with another mom and her kids, I wondered this. The other mom has plantar fascitis and I wondered if a nice thinline in her shoes might help her poor feet to feel better. Maybe the company should sell scraps so the creative among us can use them for different things.

Toomanycats
Nov. 1, 2007, 08:26 AM
My Thinline came yesterday and I tried it for the first time last night with my dressage saddle. I actually felt my horse's back come up underneath me immediately - I think that might have been the first time ever. This was as soon as I got on her - she wasn't even warmed up yet. Her back was so incredibly soft. I noticed a difference immediately. I had a completely different horse last night, and I REALLY liked the horse I had. I'm a believer, it was so worth the money.

I have a jumping lesson tonight - can't wait to see what it does for her in my jumping saddle:)

ponyjumper4
Nov. 1, 2007, 09:39 AM
The material we use was originally designed to be shoe insoles for marathon runners. At this time, we can't produce and sell shoe insoles, but they are out there. In fact, many of the lead brands such as Dr. Scholls (sp?) is made with material from the same family. My suggestion would be to purchase the Sof Sol insoles that are found in most department shoe stores and I think you find them in like Wal-Mart and Target too.

Kashmere, I tracked your package and it's current status is that it is out of foreign customs in Montreal.

MTshowjumper
Nov. 1, 2007, 09:50 AM
So I bought the ultra thinline from TOTD. I have two TB's. My mare has had a history of back problems and I thought it would be perfect for her since it wouldn't alter saddle fit and she is very "expresive" if she is uncomfortable and lets me know if she is happy. My gelding has shark fin withers and I use a fleeceworks perfect balance pad to help with saddle pad. I didn't think it would help him since he dosen't seem to care one way or the other what saddle/pad I use, and since I would have to use it in conjunction with the fleeceworks pad. I was wrong on both accounts.

My mare could care less. I can feel no difference with her at all. She has very carefully fit saddle though, and has been going well anyway. My gelding on the other hand has become a wonder horse! He is quite, relaxed, and happy. He has made more progress in two weeks than he did over the entire summer. I can also now comfortably sit all his gaits, ecspecialy his canter which was difficult for me before. He has always made my back sore when I rode him because of his very long strides and his size, and now I don't even notice. I am useing the thinline pad between the fleeceworks pad and the baby pad (on top of the fleeceworks pad it causes the saddle to sit too high). What a great surprise.

Carol Ames
Nov. 1, 2007, 04:34 PM
Sounds like a wonderful ride! :yes:;) Don't change anything!:no:It sounds as if you were both comfortable; :yes: stick with it :yes:and enjoy!:yes:

Carol Ames
Nov. 1, 2007, 04:39 PM
Is thre a ebsite for like to know more about their composition.

tollertwins
Nov. 1, 2007, 04:41 PM
How about making a seat saver for when we ride elsewhere??? Or even just for 'extra'?

pintopiaffe
Nov. 1, 2007, 04:48 PM
He has made more progress in two weeks than he did over the entire summer

:yes: and :yes: and :winkgrin:

We had a GREAT lesson on Monday. And as I've said before, we were on the cusp of progress--but I *do* think this was the one link that put it all together.

PJ--will you be at Equine Affaire in MA?

ponyjumper4
Nov. 1, 2007, 04:58 PM
Is thre a ebsite for like to know more about their composition.

Basically all there is for product info is our website, www.thinlineinc.com. This link will tell you more about the technology and composition http://thinlineinc.com/learn_more/technology

ponyjumper4
Nov. 1, 2007, 05:04 PM
:yes: and :yes: and :winkgrin:

PJ--will you be at Equine Affaire in MA?

We as a company will not be there, but we have at least two dealers, Equalign and Advanced Saddle Fit, who will be. Each will have different ThinLine products. I highly recommend visiting both booths. Equalign is a relatively new dealer for us that focuses on massage and chiropractic work and they've been collecting data and running various tests on our products. Wendy is awesome. Colleen and Matt at Advanced Saddle Fit are wonderful as well and very knowledgeable.

Atheta21
Nov. 23, 2007, 01:17 AM
I got my regular (not ultra) thin line pad and I believe it makes a difference for me and my gelding. He was having lots of issues including back pain, leaky gut, and ulcers. I got my saddle re flocked, treated him for the leaky gut and ulcers and then rode him with the pad at home and with out the pad at home.
I know I feel more comfortable with the pad. I thought he felt more bouncy and jarring with out the pad. The sitting trot was better and the mediums were more comfortable with it. It seemed to take some of the bounce out and he more willing to go up and forward (which also makes it more comfy). I will always ride him with it!! Thanks for making such a great pad!

ThreeFigs
Nov. 23, 2007, 10:07 AM
I bought one of these (an Ultra) and have not been impressed. My mare and I do better without it, which frankly suprises me. I was expecting great things. Perhaps my expectations were too high?

I loaned it to a student who loves it.

Horsepower
Nov. 23, 2007, 10:11 AM
I also fell victim to this thread. I got carried away and ordered an expensive thinline after reading this thread. I have a bad back and after using my thinline I now have back problems again. I plan on selling mine. Of course, I have waited past the 30 day return period because I couldn't believe I was having back problems and now I finally am in tons of pain. I have gone back to my traditional gel pad and it definitely cushions me better in my opinion.

Sonesta
Nov. 23, 2007, 01:03 PM
Those who know me, know I am the ultimate skeptic. I will definitely let people know if I think the Emperor is naked. For example: I think Black as Knight is BUNK.

I ordered one for the entire barn of boarders and students to try. I am convinced.

One horse (half-Arabian who always tends to be a leg mover and to hollow out) has shown remarkable improvement. After the owner used the pad with such good results for two weeks, I had her ride without it. Immediately the horse was hollow again.

Another mare (Hano/TB) just gets plain back sore after a ride. Not since using this pad. She seems quite happy.

Two horses showed no discernable difference.

All the others seemed to be better in it and worse without it.

We are all ordering them now.

lstevenson
Nov. 23, 2007, 01:34 PM
I also fell victim to this thread. I got carried away and ordered an expensive thinline after reading this thread. I have a bad back and after using my thinline I now have back problems again. I plan on selling mine. Of course, I have waited past the 30 day return period because I couldn't believe I was having back problems and now I finally am in tons of pain. I have gone back to my traditional gel pad and it definitely cushions me better in my opinion.

That's a bit ridiculous to think that using a Thinline Pad caused you to have "back problems again". Unless of course you thought "Everyone says this will cure all my troubles, so now I can REALLY work on my sitting trot!" , so you did more than usual.

I also have a bad back, and can tell you that I own both a gel pad and a Thinline, and I feel much better after riding on the Thinline. But to truely and correctly compare them, I am careful to do the exact same amount of riding on the same horse. ;) And most importantly, the horses seem to like it better.

Horsepower
Nov. 23, 2007, 01:45 PM
I did the exact same amount of work with both. Sorry to tell you but after two years of no problems, my back started acting up after only one week. I thought it must be my imagination, so I kept using it and after three more weeks, I'm a mess. You're hardly in a position to call me ridiculous as you don't have the facts. I'm sick of people making nasty comments on this board and being presumptuous. People are entitled to contrary conclusions and opinions on this board without being subject to snotty remarks. If you would like to buy my thinline at a discount, let me know, LOL!

lstevenson
Nov. 23, 2007, 01:58 PM
I did the exact same amount of work with both. Sorry to tell you but after two years of no problems, my back started acting up after only one week.

How do you KNOW without a doubt that is was the minor difference of changing the pad that's underneath your saddle, and not something else that caused it? Your back could be acting up because you slept funny or injured it doing something else (just as examples) and the pad may have nothing to do with it.

I just think it's funny when people jump to conclusions like that.

Like I know of someone who says "my horse always goes lame after doing this certain show/event" just because it happened twice. And therefore won't enter that event anymore. When both times the horse had an injury which had absolutely nothing to do with the show, or the footing, or anything related to the show. Coincidences happen! And it's silly and incorrect to blame that particular show. See my point? ;)

egontoast
Nov. 23, 2007, 02:40 PM
I think people are going a little nutso over a little piece of rubbah. I have one. It's fine but it ain't magical. It's not all that different from a gel pad except it's thinner. People glom onto these things and go way over the top until the next thing comes along. OMG their horse is cured of all problems because of the magical rubbah thingy.:eek:

Horsepower
Nov. 23, 2007, 02:54 PM
Bottom line is that this pad wasn't a wonder cure of all ills for me. I experienced nothing special about it. I wasn't going to bother posting about it until this thread got bumped back to the front page. There are lots of products on the market: boots, breeches, stirrup designs, saddles. I've seen raves and pans of the same product in all these categories. That's what makes the world go round. This particular product was nothing special for me. If it works great for someone else that's terrific.

pintopiaffe
Nov. 23, 2007, 06:25 PM
And if you read the original post--it shocks the h*ll out of me that this leetle pad makes a big difference. But for THIS horse, in THIS saddle, it's pretty significant. Same saddle, different horse, I don't use it and don't miss it. Makes a big difference in sit-a-bility on my side, and he is very happy in the back. I'm using it on top of $heepskin, but it was just the last piece of the puzzle, I think.

Sonesta
Nov. 23, 2007, 07:19 PM
For the person who went back to her gel pad, do this experiment:

Put your gel pad on your lap and press your thumb down on top of it over your thigh. You can definitely feel the distinct thumb pressure.

Now, do the same thing with the thinline pad. WAY DIFFERENT! the pressure is much more spread out.

GreekDressageQueen
Nov. 23, 2007, 09:57 PM
I hate you all...I just dropped $200 on the sheepskin version with the ultra thinline pad. :) I also hate VTO for having a 25% off sale today. I am a marketer's dream! :lol: I will post what I think of this "miracle pad" as soon as I get it. :cool: