PDA

View Full Version : Hardawn and other such names

chaltagor
Sep. 26, 2007, 08:18 PM
Thought you all might enjoy this article from Slate about risque racehorse names:

http://www.slate.com/id/2174794/

MustangSally00
Sep. 26, 2007, 08:36 PM
I laughed all the way through that article! :lol:

Acertainsmile
Sep. 26, 2007, 09:19 PM
I remember Wrecked Em, surprised they didnt have Uranus on that list too!

Madeline
Sep. 27, 2007, 06:57 AM
I own Keratoid Devil. Obviously, someone wanted to go to lunch and let that one slip through.

War Admiral
Sep. 27, 2007, 07:45 AM
Sounds to me like the author has been in touch w/ Mr. Redmond (who I still think should have won his case BTW - at the time I forwarded him several examples to use in court). I didn't realize he was considering pursuing it further. I think he should.

SleepyFox
Sep. 27, 2007, 11:17 AM
Date More Minors ?? :dead: What is wrong with people? :lol:

Wouldn't it be great if one of these horses wound up as a Pony Club mount? The instructor: "Suzie, what's your new horse's name?" Suzie: "Hardawn." I'll bet Suzie's parents would get a talking to about that one. :lol:

Slewdledo
Sep. 27, 2007, 11:33 AM
They missed Peony's Envy! As well as Oh She Hit, Pima Pants, and Hall Lass (which made it through twice.)

Acertainsmile
Sep. 27, 2007, 04:34 PM
Pima Pants... love it!

Pat Ness
Sep. 27, 2007, 05:18 PM
Our filly won a race this summer at Canterbury. Whomever puts the owners names in the program or whatever, decided to be cheap with how many characters they wanted to use, I ended up as P Ness
My husband did not see the comedy in it, but my family and friends in the winner circle roared when the announcer blasted my name over the intercom.
Pat Ness

lizathenag
Sep. 27, 2007, 05:28 PM
My favorite, Cunning Stunt, made the article!

2ndyrgal
Oct. 8, 2007, 09:44 PM
I groomed a Standardbred for two years. His name was Nip Pulls. The winners circle was big fun with that one. We were known around the backside as Nip Pulls #1 and 2. Well, at least after the night it rained and we got our pictures taken in the winners circle. Note to self, never, ever, wear a white silk blouse just because you plan to get your picture taken.

jengersnap
Oct. 9, 2007, 07:36 AM
Our filly won a race this summer at Canterbury. Whomever puts the owners names in the program or whatever, decided to be cheap with how many characters they wanted to use, I ended up as P Ness
My husband did not see the comedy in it, but my family and friends in the winner circle roared when the announcer blasted my name over the intercom.
Pat Ness

(giggles) Um, you do get the chance to choose how your name appears on the program when you put the papers in the office or the horse changes names. It's not usually a matter of saving characters. Your husband might be guilty, so played it off by ignoring it ;) Hubby was upset this year when he first saw the entries come out and they forgot his middle initial (oh heaven forbid!) but as I told him was likely, it was right there in the program like he requested.

wlrottge
Oct. 9, 2007, 12:58 PM
Funny enough, I had Panty Raid in an Exacta that I won on Sunday while at Keeneland. I got a good laugh out of the name.

ravenclaw
Oct. 9, 2007, 01:55 PM
Golden Shower? Tit'n Your Girdle?? :lol: How did those slip by?

Pima Pants is REALLY funny!