PDA

View Full Version : What Event Riders Really Need?

barbaraG
Sep. 26, 2007, 06:29 PM
:confused:

Hi, Folks,

I'm just back from a wonderful vacation in Oregon. Today in my collected mail there were not one, not two, but Three tack and horse supply catalogues.

Now, I like to Look at new stuff as much as anyone......But, really!! Pricey human clothes??.:confused:...zillions of bits??.:sadsmile:...dozens of saddles:eek:....Medicines...supplements and wraps,.... Horse Toys oh, my!!:cry:

No wonder non-horse folks think of us as rich slobs!:no: And people who could Event:yes: are scared out of the sport...unless they have recently hit the lotto! :no:

Could we post about What Event Riders Really Need?? Everyone on this board knows I don't ride, so I could be just nuts!:lol:

JER
Sep. 26, 2007, 07:02 PM
I cannot event without coffee. And preferably donuts, too.

If I haven't had coffee, there is nothing in those catalogs that can help me.

kml84
Sep. 26, 2007, 07:05 PM
A horse of course!!!:D

Kementari
Sep. 26, 2007, 07:22 PM
Well, I'm not sure it's fair to draw conclusions about what to think of horse people based on catalogs. I mean, there are catalogs for all sorts of things that contain lots of unnecessary, expensive stuff. Checked out a JC Penney catalog, lately? ;)

But, for what you need to event (at a lower level - and excluding the stuff you just need to own a horse, period, like fly spray, brushes, etc), I would include:

horse :winkgrin:
saddle (& pad...and fittings, of course)
bridle (& bit - or bits, depending on your horse!)
helmet
vest
breeches
boots
gloves
shirt for dressage/stadium (ratcatcher, dressage-y shirt, bib-type stock tie with something underneath...whatever floats your boat ;))
polo shirt or similar for xc
jacket
rulebook ;)

And then, depending on you & your horse:
boots for horse
crop/dressage whip
studs

There's more, I'm sure, but I'm thinking I could get to a basic event with that stuff... ;)

CookiePony
Sep. 26, 2007, 07:29 PM
You only had three catalogs???

denny
Sep. 26, 2007, 09:25 PM
Advil

GreystoneKC
Sep. 26, 2007, 09:33 PM
Advil

LOLOLOLOL

I do Motrin!

Lori T
Sep. 26, 2007, 09:33 PM
Wine and chocolate

GreystoneKC
Sep. 26, 2007, 09:35 PM
Seriously, I find this so hilarious because I just got the Bit of Britain catelogue and marked the darn thing to the heavens with everything I'd like for birthday/Christmas and slipped it under the boy's nose...

I was so excited about all the stylish riding clothes!

But then again, I guess that's why I'm the "Hunter Snob"!!!

;-)

Dr. Doolittle
Sep. 26, 2007, 09:48 PM
Wine and chocolate

Yes, please--those are *staples*! :lol:

RiverBendPol
Sep. 26, 2007, 11:22 PM
Seriously, I find this so hilarious because I just got the Bit of Britain catelogue and marked the darn thing to the heavens with everything I'd like for birthday/Christmas and slipped it under the boy's nose...

I was so excited about all the stylish riding clothes!

But then again, I guess that's why I'm the "Hunter Snob"!!!

;-)

:winkgrin: In my BoB catalog, I marked the spray on Saddle Tight and a Jolly Ball. Jimmy's new book is sure to be a very good laugh. I guess I'm a cheap date, eh? Advil is a must..."Vitamin A"-I take it in the morning when I brush my teeth. Instant ice packs also live in my trailer.

Suzie Q
Sep. 26, 2007, 11:48 PM
horse
Conservatively...
saddle (& pad...and fittings, of course) Let's just say $500 for a nice used jumping saddle. $20 for pad and $40 for girth
bridle (& bit - or bits, depending on your horse!) $65 for decent
helmet-$100
vest-$220 or so?
breeches-$80
boots-$200 for low end
gloves-$15
shirt for dressage/stadium (ratcatcher, dressage-y shirt, bib-type stock tie with something underneath...whatever floats your boat ) -$30
polo shirt or similar for xc-$15
jacket-$100
rulebook
Adding boots for horse-$56 or so for nice pair of Woofs
=$1441

RAyers
Sep. 26, 2007, 11:56 PM
A frigging life.

Reed

Suzie Q
Sep. 27, 2007, 12:32 AM
oh wait I forgot to add...the thrill of x-country...PRICELESS! Lol.

Hey whatever happened to my post count? It got lost when the boards switched...
Oh well.

azeventer
Sep. 27, 2007, 12:44 AM
Advil

Too funny!!!!!! ( also too too true, at least for me.....)

Kementari
Sep. 27, 2007, 05:52 AM
Oh, I think you can do it cheaper than that, at least for lower level stuff...it involves a little shopping around, but isn't THAT hard to accomplish! :cool:

Prices I've paid (in many cases I've ended up with more expensive/nicer stuff than this as I've gone on, but for a "beginner package," it would all work):

horse
Conservatively...
saddle (& pad...and fittings, of course) Let's just say $500 for a nice used jumping saddle. $20 for pad and $40 for girth $300 for used synthetic; $60 for leathers/irons, $10 pad (on sale constantly at Dover ;)), $40 girth
bridle (& bit - or bits, depending on your horse!) $65 for decent $20 on eBay for bridle (good quality synthetic); $25 for decent-but-not-HS :D(new) bit
helmet-$100 $50 Troxel plus $20 cover for dressage/stadium
vest-$220 or so? $100 for Flex Rider (though admittedly a place I had to spend more - Love my CO! ;))
breeches-$80 $40 (not even on sale)
boots-$200 for low end $80 (Devon Aire synthetics)
gloves-$15 $6 (SSG cotton pebbly ones)
shirt for dressage/stadium (ratcatcher, dressage-y shirt, bib-type stock tie with something underneath...whatever floats your boat ) -$30 $20 for bib stock (worn with random t-shirt)
polo shirt or similar for xc-$15 Sounds about right... ;)
jacket-$100 Is it cheating that I paid $5 for mine on clearance back when there was a Stateline?
rulebook free! :D
Adding boots for horse-$56 or so for nice pair of Woofs $20 for neoprene splints (plus $10 for bells)
=$1441 $821 (OK, say $900, since that $5 hunt coat was probably a once-in-a-million-years find... :lol:)

Synrgystyk
Sep. 27, 2007, 07:50 AM
Seriously, I find this so hilarious because I just got the Bit of Britain catelogue and marked the darn thing to the heavens

I just got mine too but haven't marked anything...unless you count drool spots.

BTW, Advil=Motrin=ibuprofen. If you buy the over-the-counter variety, they're all 200 mg ibuprofen per pill. (And I count this as a vitamin.)

Lorree

Synrgystyk
Sep. 27, 2007, 07:53 AM
Yes, please--those are *staples*! :lol:

Hey Dr. D. -- I thought the staples were chocolate and Corona. :confused:

BTW, just got an offer for XC schooling help -- for BEER! :lol:

Lorree

frugalannie
Sep. 27, 2007, 08:01 AM
As Willem would have said, "Carrotten!"

And add "sense of humor" to the list, especially when looking at catalogues.

purplnurpl
Sep. 27, 2007, 09:28 AM
A good rehab program.

because we all must smoke crack. The USEF passes it out.

WNT
Sep. 27, 2007, 09:29 AM
~ Adrenaline Addiction
~ Corona and limes
~ A horse w/ Adrenaline Addiction
~ Sugar daddy
~ Vitamin I
~ Saddle Tite
~ Of course, to the thrill of catalogue companies everywhere: Coordinating Everything!!!

:winkgrin:

Pferd51
Sep. 27, 2007, 10:40 AM
1. Money
2. Time
3. Energy

Advil appears to substitute for all three.

CBudFrggy
Sep. 27, 2007, 10:59 AM
All I have left to "get" is the vest, helmet cover for d/sj, and a ratcatcher. I'm sooooo close. Maybe some red ribbon for braiding his mane--color coordinating ya know! :D

InVA
Sep. 27, 2007, 11:16 AM
Advil

HA! perfect!
I was going to list that..and:

-laundry detergent
-bleach
-sunscreen
-beer
-mcdonald's gift certificates !

sharri13
Sep. 27, 2007, 11:17 AM
A frigging life.

Reed

A life? What might that be??

pwynnnorman
Sep. 27, 2007, 11:55 AM
How about a secretary-in-a-box with optional groundskeeper attachment?

Or maybe just a rich husband?

CANTEREOIN
Sep. 27, 2007, 12:34 PM
Friends that will groom but mostly listen or share their own stories of the day.

Although the coffee option is the number one accessory after my horse.

RAyers
Sep. 27, 2007, 12:55 PM
I will add, psychotherapy.

Reed

bornfreenowexpensive
Sep. 27, 2007, 01:00 PM
more sleep then we get
our horse to be braided by someone else
our tack/horse to keep itself clean
wonderful venues for events and schooling within 2 hours
more cute straight single guys....or even just cute guys (never too many of those)
To stay skinny (or get skinny) enough to actually be able to wear white breechs and have them look good if we wanted
Time in the day enough to ride our horses, work out, work, sleep and still have a life!

I like pwyn's list but rich husbands come with too many strings!

....and coffee and advil are needed for all aspects of life for me;)

knz66
Sep. 27, 2007, 01:18 PM
The list at my barn is:
Excedrin for the AM
Advil for the PM
Coffee / Chai
some form of protien
some form of carbs
wine/beer/Patron
Gummy bears...

anything else is a bonus

sit_trot
Sep. 27, 2007, 01:59 PM
I think it's funny to hear that people from other disciplines think of eventers as having a bunch of useless stuff.

I went to a Hunter Show this summer to show in a couple of Jumper classes and I cannot tell you how much STUFF goes into a hunter tack stall. I mean, racks for every possible item; bridles, pads, brushes, saddles, buckets, you name it there was a rack for it. And then, a zillion baby pads and sheepskins and on and on. And everything gets used once and then right in the laundry bin.

And, what's with the hoof oil that smells like a gasoline station???

I guess when you are looking from the outside in on any sport, it's easy to get the wrong impression.

GotSpots
Sep. 27, 2007, 03:09 PM
Caffeine. A sense of humor. And understanding (or tolerant) friends and family.

fooler
Sep. 27, 2007, 03:33 PM
The list at my barn is:
Excedrin for the AM
Advil for the PM Coffee / Chai
some form of protien some form of carbs
wine/beer/Patron
Gummy bears...
anything else is a bonus

Excedrin for the AM - sometimes
Advil for the PM - agreed
Coffee / Chai = down here we drink coca-cola
some form of protien = Reeses Cups (Chocolate + peanut butter)
some form of carbs = Snickers (Chocolate + cookies)
wine/beer/Patron = yup
Gummy bears... = variety

Caroline Weber
Sep. 27, 2007, 03:39 PM
Reed and purplnurpl - my keyboard did not appreciate that. :lol:

Horseless1
Sep. 27, 2007, 04:10 PM
A HORSE!

Also extremely useful is a cute hubby with a rag in his back pocket to hold the aforementioned horse while I spend 20 minutes deciphering my stock tie instructions!

wlrottge
Sep. 27, 2007, 04:28 PM
Jimmy's new book is sure to be a very good laugh.

Jimmy as in THE Jimmy? I had not heard a/b a new book!! We got our new BoB day before yesterday and I have not had time to look at it. I loved "Training the three day horse and rider"

Dr. Doolittle
Sep. 27, 2007, 05:38 PM
Jimmy has a new book? (Another one here who just received the catalogue and hasn't looked it yet...*definitely* on the X-Mas list! :D)

I love "psychotherapy", and "a life"...:lol:)

And rehab...:lol: Speaking of which,

Am I the only one who has noticed how many of us NEED stimulants *and*(*cough*) "analgesics"?? (In many forms--I use the pain killer that comes in pill form in the little bottles AND the pain killer that comes in liquid form in the bigger bottles...But then I'm old. :p)

wlrottge
Sep. 27, 2007, 06:17 PM
On track with everyone else, i need a 750mg Relafen and a puff on the ventolin before I ride XC.

breakthru
Sep. 27, 2007, 06:23 PM
for "a rich husband" but that didn't work out so well for me. oh well. he can learn to clean tack and muck stalls instead.

His Greyness
Sep. 28, 2007, 12:00 AM
I also receive a steady stream of useless equestrian catalogs. I have never bought anything through any of them but still they keep sending them to me. :confused:

Rare is the catalog that contains any men's riding wear and none of it is anywhere near big/long enough to fit me. Little of the tack advertised is big enough to fit Big Blonde Baby Belgian either. :rolleyes:

So what this eventer needs is for catalog companies to sell stuff that is actually big enough for me to use. :mad:

Kementari
Sep. 28, 2007, 06:05 AM
Am I the only one who has noticed how many of us NEED stimulants *and*(*cough*) "analgesics"?? (In many forms--I use the pain killer that comes in pill form in the little bottles AND the pain killer that comes in liquid form in the bigger bottles...But then I'm old. :p):lol: :lol: I discovered a few years ago that the liquid pain killer is the BEST for neck/back muscle injuries - a legal, OTC muscle relaxant! :winkgrin: Though I am just paranoid enough to never drink and ride. ;)

Ibuprofen, on the other hand...I'd never survive horse showing without it! And I'm not old, either... :eek: But I'm also told that my ability to tape my own ankle in the car on the way to the barn at 5 am is, um, unique. :lol:

And to think, we do this for FUN! :D

denny
Sep. 28, 2007, 07:15 AM
You are right on about the total absence of "English" clothes for men in any of the catalogues. I predict that by 2050 all English horse sports will be 90-95% female, if they aren`t there already. Maybe closing in on 100%.

Mustang51
Sep. 28, 2007, 09:08 AM
e-bay stores have been very helpful in finding mens riding clothes! I can find breeches for well under the $100+ you'll find in the tiny selection in the catalogs.

Debbie
Sep. 28, 2007, 09:12 AM
A BB full of enablers...

zagafi
Sep. 28, 2007, 10:15 AM
You are right on about the total absence of "English" clothes for men in any of the catalogues. I predict that by 2050 all English horse sports will be 90-95% female, if they aren`t there already. Maybe closing in on 100%.

And as a mama to three boys, 2 of whom show definite interest in riding "English", this breaks my heart. One of twins is utterly fearless at 3, and I can see him riding hellbent for shoe leather on XC someday! He's already (as he's being led around on my mare) pointing at cavaletti saying "I'm gonna jump that". So I let him.

bornfreenowexpensive
Sep. 28, 2007, 10:30 AM
And as a mama to three boys, 2 of whom show definite interest in riding "English", this breaks my heart. One of twins is utterly fearless at 3, and I can see him riding hellbent for shoe leather on XC someday! He's already (as he's being led around on my mare) pointing at cavaletti saying "I'm gonna jump that". So I let him.

Those two are just the smart ones......straight and single....he will have NOOOO trouble finding a date when he is old enough! I even ventured into the western world (not just for the boys)....but darn it if they all don't get married by 21!!!!

I swear I will cut back on the coffee....maybe next year...

denny
Sep. 28, 2007, 11:13 AM
Jimmy Wofford came up with a number of ideas to make eventing more open and appealing to boys, but I doubt our stuffy old sport will enact any of them without a lot of "push".
Included sports type gear, rather than penguin suits, "beanie-style" hunt caps, and all the other non-cool stuff boys hate.

bornfreenowexpensive
Sep. 28, 2007, 11:18 AM
Jimmy Wofford came up with a number of ideas to make eventing more open and appealing to boys, but I doubt our stuffy old sport will enact any of them without a lot of "push".
Included sports type gear, rather than penguin suits, "beanie-style" hunt caps, and all the other non-cool stuff boys hate.

Hey...not just boys don't like that stuff....I would be thrilled to never where a coat again.

wlrottge
Sep. 28, 2007, 12:51 PM

Oh.... that's an idea.... wonder if I could go buy one of these: http://www.villagehatshop.com/propeller_round.html

And get the propeller put on my helmet cover next time I order a new silk from Sipps..... ;)

Caroline Weber
Sep. 29, 2007, 06:06 AM

I don't know...in the past, I have showed photos of Rolex to a couple of my close guy friends (these would be high school age boys). Their responses were "that looks like SO MUCH FUN" and "can you teach me to ride?". These were people who had never ridden, let alone even been around a horse. So maybe they just need to be shown the "hard core" side of the sport.

Picasso
Sep. 29, 2007, 08:50 AM
How about a secretary-in-a-box with optional groundskeeper attachment?

Or maybe just a rich husband?

Or a "doing ok" one with a really good sense of humor!

Dr. Doolittle
Sep. 29, 2007, 11:08 PM
Or a "doing ok" one with a really good sense of humor!

Yeah, I am actually lucky enough to have one of those :p

Couldn't do it without him, though the sarcastic teasing gets to be bit much at times...(The ones with the "good sense of humor" seem to somehow be compelled to "exercise" their talent constantly--and usually at our expense! :lol:)

Pferd51
Sep. 30, 2007, 11:11 AM

I participated in a very low level a horse trial this past weekend. There was an associated very low level CT. The description is not intended as a criticism, I belonged there. Anyway, I believe that there were more than 100 entrants. I counted 3 males. One other man besides me, and a boy. I supposed I could have missed a couple, but I doubt it.

You can find a few more clothing options online, but so far I haven't found anything that turned out to fit. Then you have to pay to send it back. For me, the worst part is that the relatively cheap options run out very very fast.

Kementari
Oct. 1, 2007, 05:30 AM

Yeah, but...how many people have noticed that being male is worth AT LEAST 2 points off your dressage score at most lower level stuff? I swear, it drives me crazy - apparently it's the judges' way of encouraging men/boys to participate... :rolleyes:

(And, lest this sound like sour grapes, I've honestly noticed this in many cases, NOT just when I was competing against the male(s) in question! :eek: Actually, it would be more when I'm NOT competing against them, since I rarely get to see the other rides in my own division. ;))

LisaB
Oct. 2, 2007, 08:58 AM
Arnica!
A pair of pants that don't make my ass look all jiggly!

WaldenPark
Oct. 15, 2007, 03:25 PM
A good rehab program.

because we all must smoke crack. The USEF passes it out.

PM me with the name and location of this program if you ever find it, because the addiction is getting hard core!

i wonder if my health insurance will cover it? :confused:

eqsiu
Oct. 15, 2007, 04:03 PM
How is it that no one has seen fit to mention comprehensive health insurance?

Or maybe I'm the only one that falls off?

Catersun
Oct. 15, 2007, 11:34 PM
Advil

lol... that might not be the best way to advertise the sport ;-) But I"m guessing I could make some good money at an event lol

PiedPiper
Oct. 16, 2007, 07:15 AM
My experience with the men in my life is they definitely think it looks cool but readily admit they don't want to put in the time or effort to get to the level where it starts looking cool. They don't want to learn how to ride, just want to wake up one day and know how. Anyone else have this experience?

I would love for my husband to start riding and I think he would enjoy it if he did but can't get his butt into the darn saddle! :mad:;)

Dr. Doolittle
Oct. 16, 2007, 09:46 AM
My experience with the men in my life is they definitely think it looks cool but readily admit they don't want to put in the time or effort to get to the level where it starts looking cool. They don't want to learn how to ride, just want to wake up one day and know how. Anyone else have this experience?

I would love for my husband to start riding and I think he would enjoy it if he did but can't get his butt into the darn saddle! :mad:;)

Good insights--too funny! :lol:

(And often, sadly, true! :sigh:)

I am always SO envious of those horsewomen who have managed to get their DHs or SOs up on a horse, and *especially* those whose SOs enjoy it so much that they want to work at it, take lessons, and maybe actually compete! (Like asterix's hubby ;))

You all are TOO lucky; most of the rest of us would *love* to be able to share this sport! :yes:

gr8fulrider
Oct. 16, 2007, 09:52 AM
Cojones (in the figurative sense, ladies).

eqsiu
Oct. 16, 2007, 10:42 AM

One would think the favorable odds would do the job...

asterix
Oct. 17, 2007, 09:30 AM
People, people.
No one has mentioned the number one thing AFTER horse (and maybe advil):

Duct tape.

I ran out this week, and it was bad, bad, bad, let me tell you.

Also, the ability to tell when your horse has thrown a shoe (2 strides after the last fence in the first sequence of our Lucinda Green xc clinic. Message from my farrier the very same day, "I think your horses are due, how about Monday?" Coincidence or evil torture? you decide).

As for the converted SO, yeah, baby! He just took a riding vacation with me and was seen galloping flat out up a Spanish hillside, grinning like a fool.

Bonus points for the SO who watches you head out on your first Prelim XC course, does NOT freak out when he hears you are eliminated at the trakhener ("I wasn't worried, I knew exactly what happened. You guys got intimidated and ran out of steam." ah, yup!), and loyally says "but you looked great over the parts I could see!"

I'll take THAT over new britches any day.

canyonoak
Oct. 17, 2007, 09:45 AM
<<Originally Posted by denny
You are right on about the total absence of "English" clothes for men in any of the catalogues. I predict that by 2050 all English horse sports will be 90-95% female, if they aren`t there already. Maybe closing in on 100%.>>

Well, if you add to that--" in the U.S." I think that may very well be true, certainly at lower levels.
Which probably is at least part of the explanation for "Why Fritz and Heidi are beating Bobby and Betsy" (sorry Denny cannot find the actual title).

In Europe horse sport is a business-sport.

Here in the U.S., is it still a hobby-sport

sorry...didnt mean to hijack the thread.