PDA

View Full Version : Rubicon!

thumbsontop
Sep. 25, 2007, 06:59 AM
Yippee! Remembered to enter Rubicon this morning...well, for my daughter. My boy is not quite ready yet, but it's exciting anyway! It always makes the seasons go so fast when you send entries in so early.

Man, it will be cold by then!

eventmom
Sep. 25, 2007, 07:57 AM
Thanks for the remindee:) I just entered my daughter as well!

yellowbritches
Sep. 25, 2007, 09:35 AM
Yippee! Remembered to enter Rubicon this morning...well, for my daughter. My boy is not quite ready yet, but it's exciting anyway! It always makes the seasons go so fast when you send entries in so early.

Man, it will be cold by then!
Last fall, Saturday was BEAUTIFUL!!!! Absolutely picture perfect...Sunday, however was a completely different story :no:

I won't be riding, but I know the big fancy grey horse is entered at training. :yes:

CamsMom
Sep. 25, 2007, 09:38 AM
I'll probably be there volunteering.

Dr. Doolittle
Sep. 25, 2007, 09:56 AM
I'll be there (plus 3 students, one of who is bumping up to Novice :D)

Let's hope we don't have a repeat of last fall, in terms of Sunday's weather! :eek:

gr8fulrider
Sep. 25, 2007, 10:20 AM
I'll be volunteering and I'm so excited to see the place. Good luck everyone and I'll see you there.

toeknee
Sep. 25, 2007, 10:23 AM
I just entered at training but will hopefully be able to bump it up to prelim...don't tell my horse though, we seem to have a "rubicon curse" and I would really like to get rid of it this fall!!

Invested1
Sep. 25, 2007, 10:31 AM
Entered at Training. Yay! :D

Oh yah, let's hope the weather is NOT like last year's... :no:

FrittSkritt
Sep. 25, 2007, 10:33 AM
Debating whether or not to enter...!

Invested1
Sep. 25, 2007, 10:43 AM
Debating whether or not to enter...!

DO IT!! :lol:

Dr. Doolittle
Sep. 25, 2007, 10:46 AM
Fritt, this must mean you have a rideable horse?? :D

Details, please! :yes:

FrittSkritt
Sep. 25, 2007, 10:51 AM
Hehe - yes, I have a rideable horse! :) We've already been XC schooling but I'd like to actually be somewhat competitive if we actually go -- meaning canter transitions without his nose poking out and me riding in half-seat. :p

Dr. Doolittle
Sep. 25, 2007, 11:06 AM
Yay, how exciting! :D

And keep in mind, you do have 6 weeks to work on those canter transitions...;)

Invested1
Sep. 25, 2007, 11:23 AM
canter transitions without his nose poking out and me riding in half-seat. :p

Wait, is that wrong?? :eek:
:lol:

Dr. Doolittle
Sep. 25, 2007, 04:23 PM
Wait, is that wrong?? :eek:

Oh, STOP! :lol:

Dr. Doolittle
Sep. 25, 2007, 04:24 PM
BTW, Invested, congrats on achieving "Grand Prix status" :D

(I only have another 400+ posts to go...:p)

Ishi
Sep. 25, 2007, 04:42 PM
I just entered my 4 year old for Novice. He was awesome last weekend at Marlborough and hopefully HT #4 will goes as well!

Milocalwinnings
Sep. 25, 2007, 05:13 PM
Do you guys know if they are still looking for volunteers? Maybe I should check their website lol.

If so, then I might be there volunteering!

Dr. Doolittle
Sep. 25, 2007, 05:14 PM
Cool, Ishi--good luck! :)

mythical84
Sep. 25, 2007, 09:34 PM
I'll be there going Training. :)

Invested1
Sep. 26, 2007, 08:33 AM
BTW, Invested, congrats on achieving "Grand Prix status" :D

(I only have another 400+ posts to go...:p)

Oh, look at me!!! I didn't even notice. I am important now!!! (or chatty...) :lol:

Catalina
Sep. 26, 2007, 10:17 AM
I might be going there either BN or Novice, but, since I haven't even ridden the horse yet, I am not sure :lol:. I am not trying him out until Friday, so if I like him and enter on Saturday, does anyone know if I can still get in? I ask because I know that Rubicon fills up fast, I am just not sure how fast.

bambam
Sep. 26, 2007, 10:32 AM
HRH and I are entered at training- hopefully we will both have recovered from our 6 month lay off from jumping by then and be ready

Dr. Doolittle
Sep. 26, 2007, 11:15 AM
Catalina, I would just take a chance and send your entry in--the likelihood is that you will be able to get a spot, since there are always scratches :)

bambam--that's great! :D

(Do you think the venue will be able to accomodate TWO "Her Majesties"--in the same division?? :lol:?

Anyway, so good to hear that the two of you are back in business...:)

GotSpots
Sep. 26, 2007, 11:17 AM
Yay, BB. Welcome back! Ti's entered, and I'm planning to take out the new-man there as well, as we continue to try to figure out where the gears are and field test the steering. Rubicon is a gorgeous show: Eric and Sheryl and their crew do a truly terrific job and we love going there.

Invested1
Sep. 26, 2007, 11:46 AM
Yay, BB. Welcome back! Ti's entered, and I'm planning to take out the new-man there as well, as we continue to try to figure out where the gears are and field test the steering. Rubicon is a gorgeous show: Eric and Sheryl and their crew do a truly terrific job and we love going there.

GS--what are you entering the kids in? You riding both?

Sonic Boom
Sep. 26, 2007, 12:00 PM
Well, I was hoping it would be my very first HT (which would have been kind of neat, as that was the very first event I ever saw in person, a year ago at the fall trials!).

But alas, the stars did not align, even though for a bit it looked like they might. =/

Will certainly be there, though.

bambam
Sep. 26, 2007, 02:29 PM
Thanks guys! I am excited and bizarrely a little nervous already (I mean my last event was the Waredaca T3DE- so it has been a while for us).
I am hoping we have our crap together enough to do novice at the Loch Moy short course derby at the end of October but we shall see- that won't be happening if the ground does not soften up enough for some xc schooling.
Dr D- I think the venue may be able to handle it but if you tell my HRH there is another equine claiming to be royalty on the property, it may not be pretty ;)

Dr. Doolittle
Sep. 26, 2007, 03:42 PM
Dr D- I think the venue may be able to handle it but if you tell my HRH there is another equine claiming to be royalty on the property, it may not be pretty ;)

:lol: :lol:

Don't worry, we won't be getting anywhere NEAR *your* HRH--*My* HRH "vants to be alone" (*sniff*), so we will be the ones warming up by ourselves in the parking lot...:winkgrin:

Maybe I'll see you at the next Short Course Event--I'll be there with The Princess, and also two students; one doing N and one doing BN...Let's hope for good weather, and some rain between now and then!!!!!

Picasso
Sep. 26, 2007, 08:22 PM
We meaning my daughter and her boy. I am so excited! They will be going Novice, and (crossing fingers) will hopefully remember their dressage test unlike at Marlborough!

bornfreenowexpensive
Sep. 29, 2007, 06:19 PM
Ok...trying to decided....How is the training course?

I've just been talked into taking my three year old to the Dressage show at Morven....I better get him into a dressage ring and see if I can keep him in it!! Lord...we will also have to do canter transitions...in public...think I'm going to stick out as and eventer!

Just now not sure I want to risk competing two weekends in a roll in November....It will definately either snow or worse, have freezing rain, on one of the weekends. You know if I enter the HT, that will be the weekend the bad weather hits...hmmmm....maybe I should be taking bribes from you all NOT to enter!;)

Dr. Doolittle
Sep. 29, 2007, 11:02 PM
Argh, bornfree--I was thinking of doing the Morven dressage show, but apparently they are having it indoors! :sigh:

(Which would support your theory that we *must* have nasty weather in November--so "best to be prepared!" :p NO, just "say it aint so", and with luck it won't be so...Bribes--HA! How many times have *I* unsuccessfully tried to bribe the Weather Gods?, let alone trying to "counter bribe" the *Fate* gods...:lol: But go for it--it's certainly worth a try! ;))

As for the Rubicon Training course, most of it is pretty straightforward, but there are a handful of maxed out fences (including a *big* brush), and some tough questions for first timers to the level: a full coffin, and a log to a down bank (to a bending-ish line to a LARGE boxy house--this past June...) The water question can be challenging, though in June it was *easy peasy*...There were also two white coops (in the Civil War re-enactors camp) which were 3 strides apart, on a bending line line (really, a slanted line.) If your horse is bold and has some experience, no biggie; otherwise, it can be on the challenging side. ;)

Also, keep the X-country time in mind--they max out the OT, and for Training, the speed is 470 MPM.

bornfreenowexpensive
Sep. 30, 2007, 03:28 PM
Thanks Dr. D! Well that is good news for me about Morven....WALLs help a ton when one is sitting on a 17 h three year old! I might actually be able to make the turns:D

As for Rubicon....sounds like a good course for my two (as long as I remember to keep riding). One is coming along nicely and jumped around Plantation well (was a bit green to the water there but double clear). There other is just moving up to training but he is quite brave and very easy to ride (and will hopefully have had a couple of training runs before Rubicon). I just kept him at novice for most of this year until he stopped jumping two feet above all his fences!

GotSpots
Sep. 30, 2007, 04:53 PM
Remember they tend to reverse the course in the fall from the spring HT. Thus, it'll more likely be up the bank to the house, and downhill to the coffin.

I've ridden both directions - Dr. D is right on. The blond cut-away jump is Big and Imposing for the level, the coffin always tends to ride more forward on the Training course than I think it should, and there's always one or two who get fooled by the semi-skinny grill jump. Both directions, the water tends to be toward the end of the course, and is often some variation of log, land on dry ground, canter through, bench or log out. Time is almost always very hard to make at all levels - something about the way they measure it, but the only horses I've seen make it seem to be flying, even at Training. Stadium has a hill that gets a couple of horses but it seems to usually flow quite well. Courses are beautifully built and decorated, and I think horses tend to come out more educated and positive than they went out.

Invested - The boys are pretty substantially different rides, so I'll likely split them. After all, there's a limit to what any self-respecting equine should have to endure, and Ti's already uncomplainingly hauled my sorry self around this spring so he might as well have the enjoyment of the pro ride. Plus, I figure the somewhat limited steering on the new-man might be worth a little entertainment value for the crowd - not to mention my occasional accompanying profanity.

PiedPiper
Oct. 1, 2007, 07:48 AM
Gulp

Well I am entered under Training level for Rubicon, got the confirmation on Sunday.

Plan on doing a good bit more schooling at local places to get a little more experience under my belt but ran around novice at Middleburg and happy to say bored out of my ever loving mind! ;) Way easy and really no challenge for either one of us.

Feeling much more confident and hope I won't be spending most of my time in the porta potty before cross country. :eek:

Dr. Doolittle
Oct. 1, 2007, 09:35 AM
Gulp

Well I am entered under Training level for Rubicon, got the confirmation on Sunday.

Yay! :D

Plan on doing a good bit more schooling at local places to get a little more experience under my belt but ran around novice at Middleburg and happy to say bored out of my ever loving mind! ;) Way easy and really no challenge for either one of us.

Good job--glad to hear it went so well (and felt so easy ;)) I was going to send you an e-mail query...

Feeling much more confident and hope I won't be spending most of my time in the porta potty before cross country. :eek:

You know that Hero will be fine over the course; all you have to do is ride him! (Nice to be on a "BTDT horse" after years of nursing a greenie along :yes:)

I'll be there, so when I see you, I'll remind you to breathe! :D

HelenC
Oct. 1, 2007, 09:50 AM
Does anyone have thoughts on the Novice XC Course? I remember reading here about how straightforward/gallopy it is but wanted a little more info from those of you that have ridden the course. It'll be our first recognized event so I'm very excited (and nervous)!! :)

Dr. Doolittle
Oct. 1, 2007, 10:13 AM
I have a student who is entering Rubicon as her Novice move-up; I would say that it is "straightforward and gallopy", just keep in mind that you will need to "move along a bit" to make the time; however, the nature of the course makes that perfectly doable--at least at Novice ;) There are a few biggish individual jumps (and a big brush), but those always seem to ride the best once you're on course...They have an up bank to a down bank (but unlike at T and P, there are no jumps to contend with at the bank complex.) You just hop up the bank on the left, swing around to the right--past the T and P jumps--and drop off the other side. Make sure you go through the correct flags when you do the down bank; the BN downbank is directly to the left of the Novice, and historically, many riders have gotten confused there! :p

Novice does have a half coffin (depending on what direction the track of the course is--as GotSpots mentioned, they reverse it every other time); it will either be a small coopy house (or ramp), 4 or 5 (?) strides to a ditch, or the other way around. The water is a simple pass-through, usually with a bench jump several strides afterward. There is a fairly substantial jump off a turn on a slight downhill incline, shortly after you go through the Civil War re-enactor's camp (if they use it this fall), but it rides fine. Everything there is well built, and inviting to jump. :)

You'lle do great--the course is a blast, and the only "unknown quantity" is the weather.

Moody Mare
Oct. 11, 2007, 09:13 AM
Has anyone gotten an entry confirmation, email or phone call?
I am concerned because I have tried contacting them for almost 2 weeks now regarding and entry change, via both email and phone, and I've gotten no reply at all. I was thinking they might be away or something, but it's been a while.
??

Dr. Doolittle
Oct. 11, 2007, 09:31 AM
I just got an e-mail from Sheryl on Monday the 8th, confirming my division choices, and requesting any changes (if I wanted to make them...)

I would keep trying; I'm sure she will *eventually* get back to you, since in her last e-mail, she indicated that they were starting to "break out divisions", so she will want to have everyone's changes squared away! (Or one would assume ;))

HelenC
Oct. 11, 2007, 11:10 AM
I also received an email from Sheryl saying my entry was accepted on Monday the 8th. I think they're probably just swamped and are going through the entries as quickly as they can.

BTW thanks Dr. D for the Novice description...I haven't been to Rubicon before and I'm getting excited to ride the XC course!

Invested1
Oct. 11, 2007, 11:10 AM
I'm in too!

Dr. Doolittle
Oct. 11, 2007, 11:43 AM
:D

HelenC, you will have a blast--it's a great facility, and the HT is always well run :)

(On an unrelated note, I just made a hotel reservation in Gaitherburg--and am sending in a stabling form--for Waredaca's upcoming HT...Training goes *first* on Saturday, and when I did the math, I realized that if I didn't arrange to be "nearby the venue", I might have to have a wake-up call of around 3:30 AM :dead:!)

PiedPiper
Oct. 11, 2007, 12:55 PM
I am signed up in Training and will be my second one after VAHT. Very excited!

thumbsontop
Oct. 11, 2007, 05:01 PM
Can someone please comment on BN at Rubicon? My daughter has been to Waredaca, Seneca Valley, Difficult Run, and CDCTA and done fine there. I hear Rubicon is more difficult, but how?

yellowbritches
Oct. 11, 2007, 06:27 PM
I wouldn't consider Rubicon more difficult. It is "big", as in most of the fences are 2'6" or so, but it is very inviting, friendly, gallopy, and fun. They go up and down a bank, pass through water (with a little bench or box several strides after the water), and jump a tiny little ditch. Show jumping is the hardest thing at BN at Rubicon because of the terrain question and the fact that the sj does have a little atmosphere. But if she has had good outings at all those events, she should have another good outing at Rubicon. Last summer, I rode a very green 4 yr. old in her first event ever there and she ate it up (ok, granted, she considers Rubicon her second home, but still) and had another rider do his first event ever there and he did great. It is designed to be a great intro to the sport. :yes:

Dr. Doolittle
Oct. 11, 2007, 06:42 PM
I am signed up in Training and will be my second one after VAHT. Very excited!

Please be sure and post a FULL REPORT after VAHT! :D

(And good luck! Not that you'lle need it...;))

thumbsontop
Oct. 29, 2007, 08:58 AM
Conditions should be great for Rubicon after that nice rain! By the end of the week it will be on the "10 day forecast" and we can start speculating. ;)

Invested1
Nov. 6, 2007, 11:47 AM
LOFF, LOFF, LOFF my times for Sunday!!!! :yes:

It'll be REALLY quick though--start to finish (allowing for running the xc course), I'll be done in under 2 hours!! :eek:

GreyDun
Nov. 6, 2007, 11:53 AM
You got times already?? Or were you looking at the tentative schedule in the Omni? I didn't see them up on the website...

bambam
Nov. 6, 2007, 12:01 PM
grey dun- times are up on the website
well- I am done by 10 am- it will be odd to compete at a HT and still basically have most of my day to do other stuff when I am done :) Of course I am getting up so early that that other stuff may consist solely of a nap :lol:

Invested1
Nov. 6, 2007, 12:09 PM
You got times already?? Or were you looking at the tentative schedule in the Omni? I didn't see them up on the website...

I received an email with my times...

eventmom
Nov. 6, 2007, 12:20 PM
It's up on the website now as well.:)
My kids times are great!

Milocalwinnings
Nov. 6, 2007, 12:28 PM
I should be there jump judging on Sunday! Good luck everyone!

GreyDun
Nov. 6, 2007, 12:37 PM
Hm... I must be having a brain fart, but I don't see the ride times on the site... all I see is the entry status. Would someone be so kind as to tell me where they are...

Thanks!! :D

Milocalwinnings
Nov. 6, 2007, 12:41 PM
Hm... I must be having a brain fart, but I don't see the ride times on the site... all I see is the entry status. Would someone be so kind as to tell me where they are...

Thanks!! :D

Go to www.rubiconfarm.com and you'll come up with the home page. Scroll down a bit and it says "USEA Recognized HT- November 9-11 2007" and under that there is a link that says "Ride Times". :)

GreyDun
Nov. 6, 2007, 12:43 PM
Thanks! YOu know what's weird? It wouldn't open in Firefox...but it did in Internet Explorer... odd. Thanks anyways though :)

toeknee
Nov. 6, 2007, 02:53 PM
my times are civil compared to some of the other prelim riders, I saw someone with a 7:45 I think, yuck! the course is open to walk at 3 on thursday, right?

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 6, 2007, 03:31 PM
It's up on the website now as well.:)
My kids times are great!

Argh, she rides dressage 2 minutes before *I* do my cross country! :sigh:

At least I'll be able to warm her up for jumping--and walk the course with her...

My times are rather "cringeworthy": 8:20 for dressage, stadium an hour later!

Invested, you have great times...(I officially *hate* you :winkgrin:)

eventmom
Nov. 6, 2007, 04:11 PM
Argh, she rides dressage 2 minutes before *I* do my cross country! :sigh:

At least I'll be able to warm her up for jumping--and walk the course with her...

My times are rather "cringeworthy": 8:20 for dressage, stadium an hour later!

That's just plain evil :eek::eek::eek:
I was hoping you would be done before she started:eek:
Don't tell me I have to help that poor child warm up for dressage:lol::lol::lol:
Seriously, a joke :lol::lol::eek::eek:

Invested1
Nov. 6, 2007, 04:35 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm HUGELY excited about my times!! Think I'll go walk the course Saturday so I REALLY don't have to get up early on Sunday. :winkgrin:

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 6, 2007, 04:38 PM
Argh, I know...:rolleyes:

Alas, I still haven't figured out that "how to be in two places at one time" thing...:p

Just write down what I usually say to her in warmup/lessons, and keep repeatedly reminding her to do it! :lol:

Ishi
Nov. 6, 2007, 04:39 PM
I have wonderful times, it is so nice!

Thanks everyone who went over the Novice course. I'm new this year to VA and have never been to any of these horse trials before. I normally don't care what's on XC for my Prelim horse that I brought out here with me, but I've busted out the 4 year old this year, who is 6 months off the track and sometimes I get a leeeeetle bit worried we're getting in over his little 4 year old ottb mind :lol:

Novice XC sounds great for us, I can't wait to see it. I've heard great things about Rubicon so I'm really excited to go. It'll be his 4th horse trial, and it sounds like a good place to see how far we've come since I picked him up at Charles Town. Man, that seems like yesterday, especially after our dressage ride today :D

Good luck everyone!

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 6, 2007, 04:41 PM
I'm HUGELY excited about my times!! Think I'll go walk the course Saturday so I REALLY don't have to get up early on Sunday. :winkgrin:

ARGH! (And damn and drat you, woman!)

I'm thinking I will go walk the X-country course on Thursday, and maybe go back out on Saturday and watch some stadium rides so that I can memorize *that* course--there will be NO time on Sunday! :eek:

(Shades of the T Championships at Waredaca...:p)

eventmom
Nov. 6, 2007, 04:45 PM
Argh, I know...:rolleyes:

Alas, I still haven't figured out that "how to be in two places at one time" thing...:p

Just write down what I usually say to her in warmup/lessons, and keep repeatedly reminding her to do it! :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: I know! Come give her a lesson on thursday, and I will tape it and use it sunday morning :lol::lol::lol:

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 6, 2007, 04:47 PM
Ah, there's an idea! :D

(We must be creative when it comes to finding solutions ;))

yellowbritches
Nov. 6, 2007, 06:48 PM
Well, considering I was standing in the MRI room at Morven today with our one remaining horse that was entered at Rubicon, looks like we will not be making much of a visit to Rubicon :( The horse in question SHOULD be fine (touching every single splinter of wood I can find), but we needed MRI to get a better idea of what we were dealing with.

We DO have two non-boarding students competing this weekend, so we will be around...I should check their times...one actually will be trailered by me, then will be returning to our barn to board at the end of the day, so I guess she will, technically, be one of our full time clients then.

Good luck everyone!!!! I am so glad the weather has finally decided to cooperate some. Eric and Sheryl do a great job, but even they were going to struggle with their nice footing if we hadn't gotten some of the rain we've gotten recently.

GotSpots
Nov. 6, 2007, 07:35 PM
Darn it, Amanda, DO NOT JINX us. I would really, really, really like NOT to end my season sloshing through pouring rain in the dressage warmup.

Considering as the youngin' does dressage at 7:40am and all . . . almost two hours before my dressage and jump and jump all within 90 minutes frenzy. Can't complain about having all seven horses going done before noon, though, except when the alarm goes off at 0'dark thirty.

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 6, 2007, 10:18 PM
Ugh! :(

Yes, now that we have had the time change, those early morning times will be "extra brutal"...:sigh:

GotSpots, it appears that your boy will be competing in my division; as nice as he is, that will prove to be "quite a challenge!" :)

One of my students has a mare in foal to Fred, and I told her I would keep an eye out for Tiamo--he is *so* lovely in photos, and I look forward to seeing him "in the flesh" ;)

polo3day
Nov. 6, 2007, 11:13 PM
So I heard from the lovely lady herself that GotSpots's rider has lost a bet and will be singing the national anthem *both* days at Rubicon!! Please be sure to be there and cheer her on! AKA: don't let her back out of the bet! ;-) tee hee hee!

Carol Ames
Nov. 7, 2007, 12:00 AM
Good luck everyone! :yes:By next Spring I hope to be organized :lol:and able to make ithere!:winkgrin:

Catalina
Nov. 7, 2007, 08:42 AM
:( :( :( :( :(

That's my face because I won't be riding at Rubicon at all this year (my trainer rode my horse in the spring and I don't have anybody ready for the fall). I LOVE Rubicon and I hope to make it next year. Good luck to everybody and have a safe and fun ride :D.

GotSpots
Nov. 7, 2007, 08:56 AM
Yep, Ti may be putting his head down not because he's well trained, but in embarrassment after having heard the national anthem tortured. Thank goodness he can claim to be a Canadian horse . . . we'll try to leave him with a shred of dignity. Polo - are you coming?

Dr. D - we'll actually have THREE Fred youngsters there on Sunday: Tiamo, Risque Romance, and A Jack of Hearts. So if you want to get a good sense of the line, all three are going Training. The latter two are still green, but super fancy.

Invested1
Nov. 7, 2007, 09:01 AM
I picked him up at Charles Town.

"Races and slots"?
heh, sorry, couldn't help myself. Man, guess they really do have a good marketing person! :winkgrin:

Invested1
Nov. 7, 2007, 09:02 AM
ARGH! (And damn and drat you, woman!)

I'm thinking I will go walk the X-country course on Thursday, and maybe go back out on Saturday and watch some stadium rides so that I can memorize *that* course--there will be NO time on Sunday! :eek:

(Shades of the T Championships at Waredaca...:p)

Ohhh, good point. Guess I'll be out there longer on Saturday than I had thought....

Invested1
Nov. 7, 2007, 09:05 AM
Yep, Ti may be putting his head down not because he's well trained, but in embarrassment after having heard the national anthem tortured. .

Am I understanding that Allison is SINGING??? heh.

Invested1
Nov. 7, 2007, 09:06 AM
So I heard from the lovely lady herself that GotSpots's rider has lost a bet and will be singing the national anthem *both* days at Rubicon!! Please be sure to be there and cheer her on! AKA: don't let her back out of the bet! ;-) tee hee hee!

Ok, you have to share--what was the bet???????

bambam
Nov. 7, 2007, 09:12 AM
well I guess I will be seeing you GS and Dr D bright and early Sunday morning :D My dressage time is 8:15 (currently trying to figure out if it would be a bad idea to braid HRH the night before and leave her in Sat night- I am not sure I am up for getting up at a time that starts with a 4).
Hopefully I will get to meet and see the new guy go GotSpots (in between getting my butt kicked by all the pros I am competing against - I got put in OT)

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 7, 2007, 09:16 AM
Yep, Ti may be putting his head down not because he's well trained, but in embarrassment after having heard the national anthem tortured. Thank goodness he can claim to be a Canadian horse . . . we'll try to leave him with a shred of dignity. Polo - are you coming?

Dr. D - we'll actually have THREE Fred youngsters there on Sunday: Tiamo, Risque Romance, and A Jack of Hearts. So if you want to get a good sense of the line, all three are going Training. The latter two are still green, but super fancy.

VERY cool! :D

I will be sure to try to get some videotape of them for my student to see--her mare is lovely, and we are all *extremely* excited about the foal (especially the "Godmother"--who would be me :))

Good luck to all of the AFR babies, and let's hope that Alison's singing doesn't traumatize them :lol:

And yes, we are all very curious to know the nature of this bet! ;)

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 7, 2007, 09:24 AM
well I guess I will be seeing you GS and Dr D bright and early Sunday morning :D My dressage time is 8:15 (currently trying to figure out if it would be a bad idea to braid HRH the night before and leave her in Sat night- I am not sure I am up for getting up at a time that starts with a 4).
Hopefully I will get to meet and see the new guy go GotSpots (in between getting my butt kicked by all the pros I am competing against - I got put in OT)

I feel your pain, bambam; I'll be riding against at least as many (if not more) of the UL pros as you will be, since I'm in TH! :D

My dressage time is 8:20, though I will probably be in a different ring--however, will two "Chestnut Her Highnesses" be able to share the same warmup space?!? :p

I am an "incoherent zombie" with an early wakeup time, so hopefully I will get through the day without any *major* brain farts...:lol:

*Definitely* braid the night before and leave her in! :yes: (That's what I always do, and those sleazy hoods are a godsend--fortunately, my Princess Fastidious never rubs out a braid, and stays nice and clean...)

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 7, 2007, 09:24 AM

I feel your pain, bambam; I'll be riding against at least as many (if not more) of the UL pros as you will be, since I'm in TH! :D

My dressage time is 8:20, though I will probably be in a different ring--however, will two "Chestnut Her Highnesses" be able to share the same warmup space?!? :p

I am pretty much an "incoherent zombie" with an early wakeup time, so hopefully I will get through the day without any *major* brain farts...:lol:

*Definitely* braid the night before and leave her in! :yes: (That's what I always do, and those sleazy hoods are a godsend--fortunately, my Princess Fastidious never rubs out a braid, and stays nice and clean...)

asterix
Nov. 7, 2007, 09:40 AM
People, people, people.
Geez, Dr D and bambam, live in my world a little. Here's a hint.
don't braid!
Shocking, I know, but I did it all the time at Training, since the big man does NOT understand the importance of not rubbing, and I didn't have the heart to put him in a stall all night. If mythical couldn't get there in time to braid him, he didn't get braided (oh, wait, there was the time I had early times at, um, RUBICON, and got a lovely COTHer to braid him at the trailer while I struggled with my stock tie [those of you who love me and the hairless wonder know that a good braider could definitely finish with the scraggly mane by the time I get the dreaded stock tie sorted out])

I have been informed that I am not allowed to go braidless at Prelim. Given the tendency of my trainer to officiate at various events, and the fact that her main horse right now is also going prelim, I feel certain I will be caught and chastised if I attempt to gainsay this rule. It is a challenge.

I will not be there to see you lovelies go, alas, so please have a great time for me! I plan to go school on Tuesday...

Invested1
Nov. 7, 2007, 09:50 AM
My horse looks so handsome braided and my theory is that the judge will be SO focused on his lovely braids that she'll not notice how badly we do dressage. :winkgrin:

OH, AND I can annoy people like Dr. D by keeping Ted's mane all curly when I remove the braids for jumping. That fun is just priceless. :lol: :lol:

FrittSkritt
Nov. 7, 2007, 09:56 AM
I'll be there either Saturday or Sunday (preferably Sat. :)) volunteering... perhaps both days if it's not raining and I don't go out on Saturday night. :D

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 7, 2007, 10:14 AM
People, people, people.
don't braid!
Shocking, I know, but I did it all the time at Training, since the big man does NOT understand the importance of not rubbing, and I didn't have the heart to put him in a stall all night. If mythical couldn't get there in time to braid him, he didn't get braided (oh, wait, there was the time I had early times at, um, RUBICON, and got a lovely COTHer to braid him at the trailer while I struggled with my stock tie [those of you who love me and the hairless wonder know that a good braider could definitely finish with the scraggly mane by the time I get the dreaded stock tie sorted out])

I have been informed that I am not allowed to go braidless at Prelim. Given the tendency of my trainer to officiate at various events, and the fact that her main horse right now is also going prelim, I feel certain I will be caught and chastised if I attempt to gainsay this rule. It is a challenge.

I will not be there to see you lovelies go, alas, so please have a great time for me! I plan to go school on Tuesday...

Oh, NO!! :eek: Blasphemy! :lol:

I would LOVE to be able to forego the braiding, but my OCD tendencies will simply *not* allow it...:uhoh:

(I would be SO self-conscious during warmup that it would be akin to having one of those dreams where you are naked in public...:D)

(For the record, I NEVER braid for anything other than recognized...I do, however, encourage my students to braid, even at the BN level...Heaven help me :p)

At least my mare has a nice mane (that she allows me to pull--it's not that thick to begin with), and that is *easy* to braid--I can do button braids (with rubber bands) in about 20 minutes, and they always look great! (Of course pulling them out is another story; I braid SO tightly--a holdover from my days of braiding for the "A" hunter circuit--that those who attempt to pull them out after dressage wind up cursing the day I was born :lol:)

In asterix's case, BwaHaHa!!!, apparently now you have no choice! :D--but at least Piko's mane isn't thick and messy ;)

And as for YOU, Invested...Don't be surprised if my Girl Friday chases Tedi down with a loaded water bottle! :winkgrin: (Fortunately for me, she's as OCD as I am...:lol:)

Fritt--I'll keep an eye out for you, since I'm planning to be out there on Saturday walking various courses...be sure to bundle up, it's supposed to be chilly this weekend! Thanks for volunteering (again!), and bummer about not being able to compete--but there's always next year! :yes:

thumbsontop
Nov. 7, 2007, 10:21 AM
My daughter got great times - I love how tight they run Rubicon!

Since she doesn't ride until 10:45 on Sunday there will be no excuse not to braid.

bambam
Nov. 7, 2007, 10:28 AM
People, people, people.
don't braid!

didn't you figure out I could not live in your world while I was chastising you for not having any cowboy magic stain remover and trying to get Piko's socks white using just water at Fair Hill last year before I would let you get on, while you were practically tapping your foot waiting to go warm up and telling me you did not care
I have issues :lol:
of course if I cannot convince drjulie to get up at o' dark thirty, it won't matter since I cannot do a decent braid for the life of me
actually she is such a priss I could proabbly turn her out with braids- here is a question- would the neck on a high neck turn out rub her braids out or protect them?

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 7, 2007, 10:34 AM
didn't you figure out I could not live in your world while I was chastising you for not having any cowboy magic stain remover and trying to get Piko's socks white using just water at Fair Hill last year before I would let you get on, while you were practically tapping your foot waiting to go warm up and telling me you did not care
I have issues :lol:
of course if I cannot convince drjulie to get up at o' dark thirty, it won't matter since I cannot do a decent braid for the life of me
actually she is such a priss I could proabbly turn her out with braids- here is a question- would the neck on a high neck turn out rub her braids out or protect them?

This is hilarious! (I think we should all try to be more like asterix: as my DH says, "The dressage judge can't see your perfect grooming/braiding job from 4 feet away, anyway!" :p Not that this is any comfort to we "OCD sufferers" :D)

bambam--get thee a sleazy hood/shoulder guard for HRH! It is worth its weight in gold, and will protect those precious braids...(I put my high neck blanket on over the sleazy, but I would be worried that the high neck blanket *alone* would rub out the lower half of the braids...it tends to have destroyed the lower third of the MANE by the time Feb. rolls around...:sigh:)

asterix
Nov. 7, 2007, 10:37 AM
Considering my coach managed to spot me, braidless, at Morven last spring while
a) I was lost in a ridiculous rugby scrum of horses crammed into warmup and
b) she was TDing, zooming around in a golf cart allegedly, you know, making sure REAL problems were getting solved :D

I sort of didn't have a choice before, but the sin, I think, is bigger as I move up the levels.

Bambam, you know i am a horse beautician disaster. My latest triumph was riding for an Olympic judge in a dressage lesson with a horse absolutely coated in dirt -- solution? Go into very dusty indoor ahead of time and "warm up" so that it seemed reasonable that all that dirt might have, you know, just arrived.

Of course, I had to borrow both the requisite white polos and the fingers to wrap them with (I figured I really couldn't go without the polos, even though my regular dressage coach was worried it would give Pik "flashbacks" :lol:)

mythical84
Nov. 7, 2007, 10:59 AM
As Mr. P's personal groom, let me clue you all into something. For the past few years since Asterix has come into my life, I have tried to educate her about the ins-and-outs of horse show prep. I have failed. Her bathes still consist of a mere hosedown, and I still haven't made "QuicSilver" a part of her vocabulary. But while her laid-back attitude may make OCD-driven people like myself nuts, it's benefits show in her horses. Mr. P could barely stand still in the cross-ties upon his arrive, but has now taken over the role of husband horse. :) :)

asterix
Nov. 7, 2007, 11:26 AM
aw, mythical, thank you!
you forgot to mention that I am also providing employment for deserving young horse women, since I know enough not to TRY and beautify the P on my own.:cool:

toeknee
Nov. 7, 2007, 11:55 AM
you guys are hilarious!! While I wouldn't consider it an OCD:lol:, I too like my whites white, clip jobs perfect, braids tight, hoofs polished, and not a spot of dirt to be seen! I am slightly a girly girly and I think I carry that over to my horses:)

(I would be SO self-conscious during warmup that it would be akin to having one of those dreams where you are naked in public...)
I SO AGREE! Sadly I know that is not what it is at all about but the whole time I would be trotting around thinking oh god, are they looking at me and talking about how I didn't braid!! :eek:

Anyways, I also don't mind getting up early and seeing though the beast doesn't allow braids to remain in unless under adult supervision, I will be up BRIGHT and EARLY saturday for my 9:15(I know not bad at all:)) dressage ride and commute!!

Good Luck to Everyone! If anyone is there on Saturday-say hi! I will be on a big bay looking bored in dressage, about to be sick befor show jumping and then thrilled if I actually made it through show jumping heading to x-c:)

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 7, 2007, 02:45 PM

Ah, toeknee....SO nice to know that there "kindred spirits" out there! :D

(Though not a "girly girl" myself--I leave that to my mare and my 13 year old daughter!--I have a "perfectionistic side" that displays itself in my horse's turnout. It does NOT extend to housework...My idea of housework is "Sweeping the room with a glance" :lol:)

Good luck to you, since I probably won't see you; I'll be there in the afternoon on Saturday walking the BN course with eventmom's daughter--let's hope this wind subsides a bit! I was outside for about 90 minutes today (way less time than usual ;)), and it was NIPPY! :(

bambam
Nov. 8, 2007, 10:17 AM

My idea of housework is "Sweeping the room with a glance" :lol:)
bwahahaha!!! love that. May have to use it since I pretty much operate under the same concept
For whatever reasons my show turnout "issues" do not extend to day to day riding turnout (I told the Leesburg staff that I was grateful for their cleaning my geldings socks before his surgery since they had not been white since I bougth him- he does not show). I mean they get cleaned but I am do not become obsessed with white socks the way I do at a show :)

polo3day
Nov. 8, 2007, 03:56 PM
GS- I might be there Saturday to spectate but not for sure - might need some coaxing. When do all yours go: Sat or Sun? Sorry - have been ooto for nearly a week and came in on the red eye this am... Oy. I think I have a date for the Skins game Sunday. Might see if I can get away with wearing my baby blue sparkly Tom Brady jersey! ;-) Sorry, off topic. tee hee

HelenC
Nov. 8, 2007, 04:47 PM
It's getting dark sooo early so I won't be able to walk the Novice course until Saturday morning.

If anyone has or will walk that course today or tomorrow could you share some insights? Pretty please!?!

flyingchange
Nov. 8, 2007, 07:34 PM
It's getting dark sooo early so I won't be able to walk the Novice course until Saturday morning.

If anyone has or will walk that course today or tomorrow could you share some insights? Pretty please!?!

I was walking a different course today but I did see some tidbits of Novice. It looks really good - very inviting and forward. The ditch is run with I think a ditch to a small oxer-type jump a couple of strides after.

Footing is great! They have aerovated it and the turf is perfect.

piaffeprincess98
Nov. 9, 2007, 07:35 AM
Looks like I'll be shooting stadium jumping on Saturday. Can't make it Sunday, but Gary (owner of GRC) will be competing in Beginner Novice, so everyone cheer him on!

GotSpots
Nov. 9, 2007, 08:23 AM
Polo - I'm trying to get her to cough up what time this disaster-er-performance is taking place but haven't gotten confirmation as of yet. We'll have two on Saturday in the ON, and betweens ours and students, (gulp) nine on Sunday, with seven of them done before noon. Come on by!

PP - does that mean no photos on Sunday? So sad.

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 9, 2007, 10:01 AM
Polo - I'm trying to get her to cough up what time this disaster-er-performance is taking place but haven't gotten confirmation as of yet. We'll have two on Saturday in the ON, and betweens ours and students, (gulp) nine on Sunday, with seven of them done before noon. Come on by!

Wow, that will be a busy weekend! :eek:

(I've written down the ride times of the 3 AFR "offspring", and will try my best to catch them in action!)

PP - does that mean no photos on Sunday? So sad.

Say it isn't so! :(
Maybe there will be "backup photographers" there??

I walked the course yesterday afternoon, and as flyingchange said, it looks great! :yes: It seems as though they have aggravated and aerated just about *all* the tracks, and worked on the footing just about everywhere! (I only walked Training, and a bit of Prelim--but looked at the others as I went by...The poor ground is probably thinking "they at least could have bought me dinner first!" :lol:)

I'm hoping this rain we're getting doesn't make things too slick, since there are some patches of ground that are just red clay; this drought has been rough on the grass growth everywhere, though Rubicon's looks remarkably good!

I'm going to be out there tomorrow walking a course and spectating, so will have a chance to check out how it's holding up--good luck to everyone!

(Interestingly, on the stadium course, the last fence is a black and white oxer with a huge die--as in half of a pair of dice--right in front of it/underneath the front rail, on the left side. The course was set for Prelim, but it will be interesting to see whether they keep that there for the Training and Novice courses! :p)

OneDaySoon
Nov. 9, 2007, 10:28 AM
Say it isn't so! :(
Maybe there will be "backup photographers" there??

I walked the course yesterday afternoon, and as flyingchange said, it looks great! :yes: It seems as though they have aggravated and aerated just about *all* the tracks, and worked on the footing just about everywhere! (I only walked Training, and a bit of Prelim--but looked at the others as I went by...The poor ground is probably thinking "they at least could have bought me dinner first!" :lol:)

I'm hoping this rain we're getting doesn't make things too slick, since there are some patches of ground that are just red clay; this drought has been rough on the grass growth everywhere, though Rubicon's looks remarkably good!

I'm going to be out there tomorrow walking a course and spectating, so will have a chance to check out how it's holding up--good luck to everyone!

(Interestingly, on the stadium course, the last fence is a black and white oxer with a huge die--as in half of a pair of dice--right in front of it/underneath the front rail, on the left side. The course was set for Prelim, but it will be interesting to see whether they keep that there for the Training and Novice courses! :p)

Dr. D. Please tell us more about the T XC and SJ courses. Anything really exciting on the XC? Jumping die ought to be interesting...do you think Truman will pop over those while GS is doing her anthem?

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 9, 2007, 10:54 AM
Training seemed pretty staightforward (I just "glanced" at the Novice course as I walked by :)), with nothing particularly worrisome. (Of course my mare has jumped just about every fence on all 4 courses over the past 2 years--between HTs and schooling days--so I will try to look at it from the perspective of NOT being as familiar with it! ;))

The course is reversed (as they do in the fall), and it starts in the other field, with two simple fences (the first one shared with Novice), and then through the gate, up the hill, over a coop--and into the main field; you swing left to go over a "cabin", do the big log going downhill; go left though the gate into the other field (with the banks), do a jump to an upbank to a log jump (don't remember the distanes, but they are often on a half-stride, otr short stride, enabling you to make the decision to "sit up and add" if you have a coffin canter at that point; same with the coffin ;)), then up the hill to the left, small stone wall in the fenceline...After that, gallop along to the ditch complex, where you do a log to ditch to log (full coffin), and then on to the stone table. Then through the gap to make a hard right into the Civil War Re-enactor's camp, two offset white coops ONE stride apart (new for this "feature" of the course), then to the big boxy house (my least favorite :p), through the gap in the tress, swing right to the water complex, log (not dropping *into* the water, but a stride or two from the edge), into the water, one stride out, over another log, go straight ahead to the Cat's Eye jump, swing left up the hill to a jump in the fenceline, two strides to another jump (new combo for Training :)), down the hill to the Big Brush, finish over the left side of the long log (in front of the Williams' house)...

Stadium starts with an oxer, has a bending line, a triple combo (one to a two: vertical, oxer, oxer), and for a change, you go *left* down the hill (past the ingate) to a one-stride combo, then a looong run up to a fence at the top of the hill. (A vertical, of course ;)) Whoa, Nellie! :p There is a liverpool on the course, which may or may stay for Training. It's an easy course to remember, with sweeping turns--*except* for one line that ends with a vertical (walked as a half-stride line!), and then a *hard left* with little room in that corner before you hit the edge of the ring.

I will have to walk it again tomorrow (and watch some people go)--I'm thinking that one corner will be pretty torn up by Sunday!

OneDaySoon
Nov. 9, 2007, 11:27 AM
Stadium starts with an oxer, has a bending line, a triple combo (one to a two: vertical, oxer, oxer), and for a change, you go *left* down the hill (past the ingate) to a one-stride combo, then a looong run up to a fence at the top of the hill. (A vertical, of course ;)) Whoa, Nellie! :p There is a liverpool on the course, which may or may stay for Training. It's an easy course to remember, with sweeping turns--*except* for one line that ends with a vertical (walked as a half-stride line!), and then a *hard left* with little room in that corner before you hit the edge of the ring.

...Oh Lord, I can already here the rails showering down for us :no::no:. Truman will Trounce us with or without the singing rider!!!

The XC sounds very pleasant and fun with the new combos etc.

Thanks for the info Dr. D.

GotSpots
Nov. 9, 2007, 12:04 PM
Nope - Truman's jockey don't sing. At least, not outside the shower. It's our pro who is on the wrong side of the bet - she's riding my youngster and the other AFRs. And despite Truman's worthy efforts to leave the jumps up, the abscess on his back can usually manage to plant him at a craptastic distance that even he cannot save. He's a lovely pony - I apologize to him regularly about his poor choice in rider.

Sounds like a super course - am very excited to see the new combinations.

Tazzie
Nov. 9, 2007, 01:26 PM
For those of you competing: I will be there sunday all day volunteer. I am a jump judge (unknown which jump til that day). I am short female with brown hair and glasses and a gray Toyota Matrix. If it's not too cold out I will have a small dog with me for company. If you see me during your course walks please stop and introduce yourself! I love meeting fellow COTHers!

And good luck to everyone!

mythical84
Nov. 9, 2007, 01:32 PM
I'll also be there jump judging on Sunday!

asterix
Nov. 9, 2007, 02:17 PM
Great description, Dr D -- I almost felt like I was riding it (I know that T course pretty well by now too)! I am psyched to go on Tu and play with the prelim stuff :)

I don't know about the die on SJ, but I know we used to have big boxes painted as dice at Waredaca, and they ALWAYS caused some big looks, especially at Novice and Training. They went through a phase of being color blocks, and are now being repainted by one of our boarder-artists...I can only imagine what she's got dreamed up!

SO ride that fence defensively! And don't take a dive at the vertical at the top of the hill.
How's that for unsolicited advice on a course I haven't seen :D

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 9, 2007, 06:24 PM
Great description, Dr D -- I almost felt like I was riding it (I know that T course pretty well by now too)! I am psyched to go on Tu and play with the prelim stuff :)

I don't know about the die on SJ, but I know we used to have big boxes painted as dice at Waredaca, and they ALWAYS caused some big looks, especially at Novice and Training. They went through a phase of being color blocks, and are now being repainted by one of our boarder-artists...I can only imagine what she's got dreamed up!

SO ride that fence defensively! And don't take a dive at the vertical at the top of the hill.
How's that for unsolicited advice on a course I haven't seen :D

Yes, the course flows nicely (I am usually "somewhat challenged in the instant memorization dept." when it comes to X-country courses :uhoh:, which is why I videotape them and then watch them on video; it saves me walking them two/three times, since my feet are shot to sh*t, and my lower back aint too great either :p) But in *this* case, I nailed it the very first time I walked it, and can easily visualize it in my head. (It also helps that I've ridden the same track several times--as is, *and* reversed--though there are a couple "new wrinkles" this time :)) There are really only two "big" fences on course (though all Training is looking pretty small these days, since my mare is pretty confirmed at that level--and "she only needs a consistently rideable brain" before she is ready to bump up, but who knows when she will decide to get one :sigh:), but there's the big brush and that big boxy house...those are the two fences which concern me if the footing gets slick, though I there are only 20 horses running over the T track before I do. (My horse is barefoot, so studs are not an option! Everything else on course should be no worries, just those two "big 'uns" where she will *really* need to be able to plant and push off :yes:)

As for stadium :lol: That's interesting about Waredaca's dice, and they evidently are allowing some budding artists to have some fun :D

Yes, asterix's advice is right on--these "challenges" should make for some interesting stadium rounds! I'll be there at around 2:00 tomorrow to walk the BN course, so will be able to assess how torn up the corners/takeoffs/landings are in the stadium ring (last year they laid down rubber on the bare slick spots--thank you Eric and Sheryl! :yes:), and also check out the X-country course and how it's holding up. (The rain can stop any time, now! Not *nearly* as bad as Waredaca's "deluge" two weeks ago, but now the ground already has some moisture in it, so can only handle so much more--especially in the stadium ring! :eek:)

I'm sure glad I walked the course yesterday and not today :p

FrittSkritt
Nov. 9, 2007, 06:51 PM
I'll be scribing for SJ tomorrow, so stop by and say hi! :D

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 9, 2007, 09:53 PM
Hey, Fritt!

I will try to stop by and say Hi tomorrow--I worry about bothering you while you are in the middle of a crucial "scoring or timing decision", so will wait until there is a break in the action before I say hello! ;)

Invested1
Nov. 9, 2007, 10:11 PM
I'll try to stop over and say hi too! Keep your eyes open for me--I'll have on awesome, purple schooling tights! :winkgrin:
Will be there around 1:30 or 2pm...

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 9, 2007, 11:15 PM
Hey, Invested--I plan to be there at around 2:00 myself--hopefully I will run into you :)

Milocalwinnings
Nov. 9, 2007, 11:20 PM
I'll be there on Sunday jump judging as well, probably with my mom. I'm 5'10, 16 yrs old... please stop by and say Hi!

I swear- we all need shirts or signs or something that says "COTH member" with our username on it or something:yes:

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 9, 2007, 11:26 PM
Hey, Milo--feel free to "Whoop" at me as I go over your fence on Sunday :D (I ride X-country at 9:52; trace-clipped chestnut mare with a huge star, white protective boots, and middle aged-rider with beige breeches, white shirt, and a navy blue Tipp body protector...:))

Thanks for volunteering!

(Yes, I agree-often we "COTHers" miss identifying each other because we get so busy at events, and it's difficult to recognize each other without some form of identification...I would suggest "sandwich boards", but we already wear those X-country! :lol:)

yellowbritches
Nov. 10, 2007, 06:43 PM
ummm...if you guys didn't already discover it today, make sure you "open" the training log out of the water tomorrow while walking xc. Trust me ;)

We walked the BN xc today with our rider doing her first HT. Looking forward to tomorrow, though I hope it is warmer. It was very hard showing up today without a trailer and some horses, and I really wanted to go jump around a great deal of the course I saw. The training bank complex looked like a blast, as did the prelim water. Next year...we just keep telling ourselves "Next year." ;)

Hope those who went today had a great day (the footing was spectacular!!!!), and those who go tomorrow have a great day! :D

thumbsontop
Nov. 10, 2007, 06:52 PM
We walked BN yesterday (after getting stuck behind an accident on 15). Looked great! My daughter is a bit nervous about the ditch. Bit more than a "slight depression on the other side of a log". I think it would be fine but she came off at Gordonsdale last weekend when she approached too fast and her pony didn't see it - pony swam with all four legs and my daughter did the not so graceful slide off on the landing side. (Yes it was fine the second time, but I don't blame her for being a wee bit nervous!) This time she's planning a nice forward trot to the ditch - with tons of leg and probably some crop action!

Footing looks wonderful! How's showjumping holding up? It didn't seem too muddy.

yellowbritches
Nov. 10, 2007, 07:10 PM
They have definitely dug the ditch out a little more...just remind her to keep her EYES UP, keep on kicking, and not to get ahead of her pony. We told our newbie to try and focus on the little log afterward...might help your daughter to have something to focus on instead of the ditch...a little mind game of directing her energy at the log might help if she is more nervous tomorrow.

The footing in show jumping is very resilient...don't know if you walked it at all, but there is a great deal of rubber in the turf.

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 10, 2007, 07:39 PM
yellowbritches is right on (I was going to offer the same advice, which I did when I was walking it with *my* BN student today--she also has a "ditchy pony"! ;))

I agree--the footing really *couldn't* be better (I had to go compliment Sheryl :))--and all their work has paid off; the rain we got had NO negative impact--the footing is soft and "mulchy" feeling, with lots of give, and no "slickness"...Yay! :D

I'm looking *really* forward to competing tomorrow; everything looks excellent! :)

I saw bambam, Invested, and Fritt Skritt while I was there today; maybe I can meet some more COTHers tomorrow! (Just remember, if you hear someone with a "really loud laugh", follow the sound, and will likely find me :lol:)

yellowbritches
Nov. 10, 2007, 08:03 PM
Dr. D, I will most likely be at the end of two leashes, being towed around by two very cute dogs...one of which will most likely be constantly reminded that his behavior needs to improve. If it is as cold tomorrow as it was today, I'll also look like a giant grape with limbs.

thumbsontop
Nov. 10, 2007, 08:34 PM
Thanks! I've been telling her all day to just watch the next log and don't look down. :) We'll see!

Good luck!

Milocalwinnings
Nov. 10, 2007, 09:05 PM
Good Luck to everyone tomorrow! Don't know which jump I'm at yet, but hopefully everyone has a safe and clean round!

Haha and if you think about it while you're driving down Lucketts road, look for my grey gelding in the front pasture of the farm on the left about 2 properties before Rubicon (green barn in front pasture, large blue barn set back a bit on the property) :winkgrin::lol:

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 10, 2007, 09:49 PM
Dr. D, I will most likely be at the end of two leashes, being towed around by two very cute dogs...one of which will most likely be constantly reminded that his behavior needs to improve. If it is as cold tomorrow as it was today, I'll also look like a giant grape with limbs.

:lol: That should be hard to miss! :p

The forecast is for high temps in the lower 50's, but I'm thinking that that won't be until mid-afternoon...:p

(I'm planning to bulk up with silk thermal underwear under breeches and show shirt, since I will have to be out there at 7:30 AM--BRRR!)

piaffeprincess98
Nov. 11, 2007, 07:32 AM
Sorry, didn't look at this thread yesterday. GRC will be there today! No worries. Just not me. And they did prelim dressage on Friday too.

Ishi
Nov. 11, 2007, 08:26 AM
This was my first time at Rubicon and I thought it was a GREAT horse trial! I loved the cross country course, the jumps were really unique. The footing in stadium seemed to have held up great, and there was something else, plus rubber in the grass, I didn't have studs and never slipped. Hats off to them, they did a great job! On Thursday this horse flat out bucked me off. That hasn't happened in about 2 years for me, and I landed about 4 feet away from him. I was paying close attention to the footing all day, trying to figure out if it was going to be soft if I got launched again :lol:

I was in Novice Horse A. Despite having a bad case of the 4 Year Olds yesterday, my horse was really good. In the rings. In warm ups I thought it was all over. He was tight and silly before dressage, and we had issues in our test, but he got his first 9 and we got a 27.9 which put us in 4th.

Stadium was the same way, I gave up on trying to w/t/c and cantered over 3 jumps and went in. I really thought I was in for a good bucking off! He was great in stadium, it was probably his best round. He's young, green, pretty much right off the track, and while he's never stopped, historically he can be pretty looky and sticky. I thought for sure those dice would get him, but not a peek on his part. He was calm, jumped quietly, he went around almost like a hunter, I was really happy!

Cross country was awesome. I really liked the course, and thought it was great. He cantered into the water and through it for the first time (normally he looks and trots, and I've let him do what he wants, as he's figuring it all out) and he jumped everything great.

So, we finished on our dressage score of 27.9 and moved up to 3rd, I got the Jimmy Wofford XC DVD too, very cool. It was a great horse trial to end the 2007 season with, I really had fun! I got to hang out with PP and Frittskitt. It was cold, but so much fun! Good luck to everyone today, I don't know if it'll be any warmer, but at least the sun is out!

thumbsontop
Nov. 11, 2007, 03:07 PM
Had a wonderful time today! What a nice event!

My daughter learned some valuable lessons today - :D . 1st after dressage, 2nd after stadium (and an unfortunate rail), and then dead last after XC. I was really proud of her after XC because when I asked her what she would have ridden differently she said "I would have pulled up after jump 2 because I could tell she was sore". Yes, I could see approaching 2 that she was unusually wiggly approaching - hesitant. And yes, I would have preferred her actually pull up, but I'm glad she recognized in hindsight that it would have been a good decision. Maturing rider! And I'm glad that she still walked away having had a great time in spite of her troubles!

Yes, the ditch was 2 stops, and the down bank 1. I'm surprised about the bank, except if she was sore that may be why. At the ditch I saw my daughter do a slow, hesitant trot to it, not a forward trot. Then, she didn't circle and reapproach, just smacked (2nd refusal). Oh well. All lessons.

Hope everyone had fun! (And that the BNJ rider that was taken to the hospital was okay. :( )

Milocalwinnings
Nov. 11, 2007, 05:57 PM
I ended up jump judging at jump 3 for Training and jump 1 for BN.
The rider who came off after jump 4, honestly, was a mess from the start. The poor kid was crying in the start box, and someone told her that they would be fine because the horse was (supposedly) and intermediate horse.... (um, why would you put a BN rider on an Intermediate level horse?)... so they came out of the start box pretty out of control, he was throwing a couple crow hops in the start box, and then they came out at a really fast canter, ran past the jump to try to get him undercontrol and then made it over. Next thing I know, she's off after jump 4. I felt sorry for the poor horse- after he was caught, they took him back down to the jump and then as they were walking back whoever was leading him starts smacking him in the face, yanking the reins hard w/ the bit in his mouth etc. I *almost* called it in.... I waited to see if they used the whip on him or not (if they did then I would have called Brian)- but they didn't so I let them go and then I told the score runner and some of the other officials - who said they saw the same thing. I hope the girl is ok... I really do, but that situation wasn't very good from the start. :no:

The black and white pinto pony was absolutly ADORABLE!!! I loved him!:D

We had another refusal at jump one... I felt so bad for the kid. There were people watching another horse, standing inbetween the start box and first jump... so the kid takes off from the start box, I'm like "hello! pay attention! horse on course!" while the kid is trying to keep his horse from running through the people- and they walk off and were like "watch where you are going!" (jeeze.... you were ONLY in the middle of the kids path!)- the poor kid had a refusal at the jump right after that....

Otherwise, a pretty uneventful day at my jumps... I think we had a refusal for the Training jump 3, and then 4 (?) refusals at BN jump 1.

Thumbsontop- What was the name of your daughters horse?

Good Job everyone!

Janet
Nov. 11, 2007, 06:27 PM
I felt sorry for the poor horse- after he was caught, they took him back down to the jump and then as they were walking back whoever was leading him starts smacking him in the face, yanking the reins hard w/ the bit in his mouth etc. I *almost* called it in.... I waited to see if they used the whip on him or not (if they did then I would have called Brian)- but they didn't so I let them go and then I told the score runner about it- who says she saw the same thing. I hope the girl is ok... I really do, but that situation wasn't very good from the start. :no:
The rules on abuse say

5. BIT—The bit must never be used to reprimand a horse. Any such use is always excessive.
So you probably SHOULD have called it in.

thumbsontop
Nov. 11, 2007, 06:50 PM
Once Again is her pony's name...and I saw that rider that fell off too. You're right, she was having a really hard time from the get go. Thank goodness the horse stopped before running through the green plastic netting!

I love that pinto pony too - I think you're talking about Nevada. In Pony Club with my daughter...

:)

Saw some fantastic riding today!

Milocalwinnings
Nov. 11, 2007, 06:54 PM
Janet: Well, now I know. I SHOULD have called it in. I did not call it in- but I did let various "officials" know about it. Hindsight 20/20 I guess.

eventmom
Nov. 11, 2007, 08:35 PM
We also had a great day at Rubicon! Started off with a not so great dressage test. My daughter ended up in the grass ring and her pony decided he did not want to walk the beaten path! So, after a dressage score that would have been great if high score wins (as my husband says!) she was in 15th place:eek:
But wow what an awesome stadium round:) Just beautiful. Pony did not look at a thing:) He totally redeemed himself.
Then the same for x-c. She checked her watch at the halfway mark and realized she was ahead of the game and needed to slow it down. This is a first for my kid. Wow, Way too fun:)
The announcer said that we needed to bottle that pony and sell it!:lol::lol:
My daughter was so proud of herself and the pony!!!
She ended the day in 6th place:) Can't wait to see the pictures!

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 11, 2007, 10:26 PM
What a great day! :D

Will post more tomorrow, since I am *way* too tired to type coherently right now...:p

bambam
Nov. 12, 2007, 07:45 AM
we had a fantabulous day :D:D
I was pretty worried/nervous since we have not run training for more than a year and between concrete ground, my schedule and the slow pace at which her hoof crack grew out, we have only x-country jumped twice since last December- not the ideal set-up altough my trainer kept telling me we could do it.
My girl was a rock star. I was not particularly happy with our dressage test, but the dressage judge with clearly fading eyesight was ;). For the first time in ages, we did a stadium round where she did not look or hesitate at anything (yay!!!!!). X-country- she had me a little worried at the first 5 since she did not take me to them and took some serious convincing to do the big hanging log at jump 5 but after that she was "on" and we had a GREAT round. I guess I did not press the button on my watch hard enough because halfway through I realized it was not running and so we were a bit over time but I probably would not have pushed her to make time anyway given where we were in our preparation- without time faults we would have been tied for second but after a year of not being able to do this, I could give a rat's a** where we finished when we had such a good go :yes::D:D:D Man I love this sport :D
Thank you to all the volunteers who froze this weekend (it was sooo cold yesterday morning)
and thank you to asterix and drjuliea who got up way too early for a Sunday (particularly drjulie- how many friends will get up at 5 am to freeze their butts off just to help you?) and kept me from freaking out

GotSpots
Nov. 12, 2007, 09:10 AM
Rubicon is always such a great way to finish up the season. The very cold morning warmed up into a gorgeous day yesterday, and despite the chill, I saw alot of smiles. Saw Bambam have a LOVELY stadium round - so super to have HRH back in fine form. Invested's Tedi - apparently not content with mere shoe pulling - sported a fabulous Frankenstein look but clearly rocked around the XC course. Canterlope kept stadium running on a very tight ship all day and earns major thank yous from everyone. Good though tough courses for every level, I thought, and as always, a beautifully run show.

toeknee
Nov. 12, 2007, 09:37 AM
Congrats to everyone who had a good weekend and THANK YOU to all the volunteers! The weather was great(maybe a little cold :) but no complaints) and the footing was very good considering the year we have had. I love Rubicon. Times up quick, facility is awsome, volunteers friendly, scores fast...the list goes on. I had an okay day on Saturday. It was our 3rd prelim so we are still learning the ropes... our dressage was tense and def. left more to be desired! But I know we can do better, which always helps when you are second to last!:) ha. Our show jump round was pretty bad and I really think I was lucky that only 5 rails came down. I was embarassed with the ride I gave him and he could have quit on me many times. yuck yuck. cross country, I again could have given him a better ride and he saved my ass MANY times. but we were clean!(with a good amount of time) We had some tough combinations, some of the toughest we have done so I was pleased the get around clean. 18, 19ab- the table to the corner to the skinny- not pretty at all but he basically said hold on and carried me through! So I finished this season realizing my horse is a saint and although this is his and my first runs at prelim, he carries my butt around like he has been doing it forever!(in x-c NOT stadium:)) Looks like lots of jumper and dressage shows in jan and feb for us!!

Thanks again to all the volunteers and Rubicon!!

Invested1
Nov. 12, 2007, 09:44 AM
Invested's Tedi - apparently not content with mere shoe pulling - sported a fabulous Frankenstein look

Yes, let's start with the day BEFORE Rubicon....
Anyone who has ever read my posts the week before a show knows that Tedi is not allowed to be told that we have one coming up as he is FAMOUS for pulling a shoe so that I can't ride the days leading up to an event.

Well, someone must've told him about Rubicon. I wasn't too, too worried though because his shoes are new and tight and I didn't think he could get them off--I was right.
So, the moron had to find something else. What that something else was, I don't know; what I do know is that when I went to the barn Saturday afternoon to ride and get packed up and ready for Sunday, I found Ted with a big (2.5"), gaping slice in his neck! :eek: It wasn't "actively" bleeding but it was ugly (though looked pretty fresh). Now, I'm generally of the mind to just keep a cut clean and it will heal, but this one was definitely "vet-worthy." Vet came out and Ted ended up with 7 stitches in his throat. I told the vet we were scheduled for Rubicon and asked if we should scratch--she said nope, we were good to go. HA! After all that, Tedi still had to go!! :lol:

All in all, we had a really nice day yesterday. While our scores were not great, I was happy with us anyway. After dressage, we were 22 out of 23 (heh) but I watched our test on video and thought we deserved a better score (though I have had tests in the past where we scored better than I thought we deserved, so it all evens out).

Stadium was really good though Ted was a little strong and we took down 2 rails (but no time faults).

XC was absolutely phenomenal--that pony was so fabulous and I could not have been any happier with him! He didn't peak at a single thing and we ROCKED (as GotSpots said :D) that course and came in 8 seconds under time. Sweet.

Apparently a lot of other people had problems with xc so we ended up moving up to 11th (had we not had those 2 rails in stadium, we would have been 4th!).

I got to see Dr. D, Bambam and GotSpots. And while course walking on Saturday, I met Eventmom, Inverness and (I'm going to butcher this one) Aignon. :D

Hey Milo---I was laughing when I went over Training jump 3 because Ted (not the sharpest knife in the drawer--though very cute :lol:) JUMPED the little ditch at the bottom of the hill on the way up to #3. It took me off guard so I started laughing and said, "Nice one, Grace." :lol:

BTW, what ever happened with Springer singing?!?!?!

asterix
Nov. 12, 2007, 09:57 AM
Invested, I know what you mean about that hop over the 'ditch' -- my horse nearly unseated me when he did that in June, and I said something silly out loud to him at the time, too!

I got to see bambam really rise to the occasion -- that is NOT a "gee, haven't done THIS in a long time" course, and she and HRH did a terrific job in both sj and xc. The water produced a lot of ugly moments at Training but BOTH princesses I saw -- bambam's and Dr. D's -- sailed right through without batting an eye.

Dr D, sorry not to talk with you but I did see a lot of your xc ride, and it looked lovely!!

Hoping the footing holds up for the schooling day....

Invested1
Nov. 12, 2007, 10:06 AM
Forgot to mention that Ted managed to make the 2 stride in stadium into a ONE STRIDE!!! :eek: :lol:

I whoa-ed up to the first jump and as we landed, I sat up to whoa again and thought, "Ah crap, he's going." yup.

Didn't see anyone else do that all day, though I saw many a horse put in 3 strides. :lol:

Invested1
Nov. 12, 2007, 10:12 AM
Asterix--
Didn't we determine that it was you I stopped and talked with while you were jump judging at Rubicon Fall 2004 and I was watching my first HT, thinking about giving it a shot?

Awhhh. Who woulda thunk it? :D

asterix
Nov. 12, 2007, 10:24 AM
That's RIGHT!!! :lol:
I was jump judging in the tree line, sporting my excellent giant fleece pants (hmm, where are those, needed them this weekend).
You have just zoomed right along in this sport, haven't you? So happy to see you are loving it!!!

bambam
Nov. 12, 2007, 10:54 AM
sounds like most folks had a good weekend- yay Rubicon!
On top of a good riding day, I got see and talk to Gotspots, Dr D and Invested (got to see Tedi sporting his serious Franken-horse look :eek:- glad you had such a great x-country round Invested). I could not see much of Dr D's stadium round from x-country warm-up but based on the praise I heard her giving her HRH after, it must have been a good :)
I also got to meet GotSpots' awesome Truman, eventmom and eventmom's daughter.
Lovely COTHer weekend

GRCPHOTO
Nov. 12, 2007, 11:05 AM
Wow what a great day Sunday was. Combat Camera (AKA Beanie) and I had our best round ever!! We knocked 50 points off our Score from DRPC Summer HT.

Any How. I want to Apologize to all the riders for not being able to view photos at the Trailer but our network in the Trailer went Tango Uniform about 10 am Saturday and we could not get it fixed no matter what we tried. So Dez is sorting the rest of the photos now and she has 7428 left to go through. I hope to have the upload started some time tomorrow and competed by late Wednesday evening. (Hopefully my SAT COM will continue to function) I will send out E-mails as soon as the upload is done.

Invested1
Nov. 12, 2007, 11:18 AM
That's RIGHT!!! :lol:
I was jump judging in the tree line, sporting my excellent giant fleece pants (hmm, where are those, needed them this weekend).
You have just zoomed right along in this sport, haven't you? So happy to see you are loving it!!!

Ah thanks! We really are loving it!
My sister commented yesterday after xc that she couldn't tell who was having more fun--me or Ted. :D

We were SO not made to be hunters. :no: :lol:

Invested1
Nov. 12, 2007, 11:19 AM
how many friends will get up at 5 am to freeze their butts off just to help you?

Just wanted to say that I had one of these angels too. And she froze her little fingers off too, braiding Ted at O'dark thirty!! :yes:

THANKS JULIE---Loff you BFF!!!!!!!! :D

Invested1
Nov. 12, 2007, 11:44 AM
The water produced a lot of ugly moments at Training

Out of curiousity--what was going on at the water?

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 12, 2007, 12:29 PM
Yay, COTHers! :D

It was great fun to see a bunch of COTHers--and actually even *introduce* some to others! :); it sounds like all of us had a good weekend (I still haven't had an opportunity to meet GotSpots or drjulie, though that may have been drjulie I saw helping bambam before dressage--if so, she was a "bundle with eyes" :p It was COLD yesterday morning!)

(Since I'm a zombie in the morning anyway, a 5:00 wake-up call--coupled with sleep interruptions caused by hot flashes--indicating that maybe I'm too old to be doing this?!? :D), left me in a pretty much of a fugue state...I think I *finally* woke up about halfway through X-country...:p)

When I got there (around 7:30), there was *frost* on the ground, which was mostly frozen--making me wish that studs were an option for me :sigh: the problem with the frost was that as it slowly started thawing, it made the top layer of the still-frozen ground kind of slick, though we "older folks" were lucky enough to at least get to do our tests in the wonderful rings with the marvelous footing, as opposed to on grass. ;)

(Mr. Dr. D didn't get there in time for my dressage test, but when he saw it on video, he remarked that there was "steam coming out of my horse's nostrils"; in this case, *not* due to her being "ready to explode", but just from the wintery temps! :lol:)

While I was warming up, I couldn't help but notice an "absolutely gorgeous" chestnut mare with chrome (and I'm sorry, I just have a thing for them, okay? So sue me! :winkgrin:), and when I checked out the rider, I noticed that it was bambam--and the horse was HRH! :D
Wow! She looked incredible, and since she did her test in the other end of the footed ring (about 5 minutes before I did), I was able to see snippets of it; she looked lovely, relaxed, and "on the aids"--don't listen to bambam's account--she was WAY too hard on herself! :D

My own Princess was a little tense and anticipatory (you sit the trot on right rein, we canter...Right? Right? RIGHT!?! Half-halt, shmaf-halt...HA! *I* know best, so I will just DO IT MYSELF, MY way!!! :lol: :rolleyes:) Anyway, I "finessed" my way through the test, and just hoped that the judge was in a generous mood; the scribe's fingers were frozen and could only write "7"; or perhaps the judge felt like giving away some "pretty points" to chestnut mares with 'tudes ;)...In any case, there was no time to wait around to find out one's score, since it was then on to the jumping. (With things moving along so fast, it's hard to do much more than focus on your next phase, though it wasn't as bad as at the Championships last weekend, where I was finished with ALL THREE PHASES in 50 minutes! :eek:) Since I was riding X-country at the same time eventmom's daughter was doing dressage, I was unable to help her warm up for it--though apparently the "wonder pony" wasn't getting anywhere NEAR the track OR the corners of that grass dressage ring, thankyouverymuch :(, so poor eventdaughter didn't get her best score...(eventmom told me that after her test, they asked her what score she thought she got, and she said "50"...which wound up being right on! Savvy kid, and she's getting pretty darn good at this stuff! ;))

The stadium footing had started to thaw out by the time I got out there on course (though the *rails* were covered with frost! :eek: I thought at the time--while walking it again--"Hmm, this should make it harder for the horses to pull rails; if a hoof rubs them lightly, it will simply slide over!" :p) My girl was very good in stadium (hence the lavish praise overheard by asterix :D...leaving all the rails up and being under the time proved to be *crucial* in our VERY closely contested division, where my dressage score of 37.4 put me in a 3-way tie for 11th--but only 4.8 points out of first place!!), and then on to X-country, where I again saw bambam in warmup (I'm surprised our mares didn't exchange a "secret signal", but instead haughtily ignored each other :lol:), and she went out on course with confidence after also having had a good stadium (which I didn't get to see, unfortunately.)

My personal goals for The Princess for the "final event of the year" were A) have a good dressage test (Well, er, um...*cough*, okay...so much for that one...); B) go double-clear stadium (she's had "one rail" at 4 out of her last 5 HTs) so, "Check"; and C) make the time X-country at this venue. (I knew she would be clear ;)) Which she did for me, and was just wonderful! :D I think we had one less-than optimal fence on course, the stone table (which she's jumped a number of times before, and well), but she just got under it a little this time. The rest of the course rode GREAT, with her just flowing over everything out of stride, *very* rideable (which is usually her "issue", if she's going to have one ;)) and finding it all easy...(And thanks, asterix, for the kind words--I ordered Equivue, so will look forward to seeing how it looked, though I did get some far-away video from my "helpers", which looked good.) As for my "making the time goal", when I went over the big brush, I looked down at my watch to find that I had only 16 seconds left, so we high-tailed it to the finish line, and were ONE second under the time. (I was thrilled, knowing that would *really* help when it came to tie-breakers ;)), and I praised the holy heck out of my beastie, since she had been just amazing for me all day--and the week before, as well; I am *so* proud of her! :) (Lots of hugs, kisses, and treats were "bestowed"--she was in heaven, since at heart, she's a pocket pony..)

So we moved up to third in our division overall, and though we had been tied with Alison on Tiamo after stadium, we edged them out by being closer to the optimal time; they wound up 4th. I had *really* wanted to see him in action, darn it! :sigh:, but just didn't get the chance! ARGH! Hopefully next year. :yes:

And what about that National Anthem, to be sung by Ms Springer? (I would think that her teeth would have been chattering too hard to do the anthem much justice in the AM! ;))

A BIG congrats to everyone who competed: bambam and her beauteous mare, who apparently is "right back in the game", despite her sabbatical (and who wound up fifth in her tough division!); eventdaughter, whose pony was AWESOME in both of his jumping rounds, moving them all the way up to 6th--wow, that girl can ride! :D; Invested, for her wonderful X-country ride, in spite of Tedi sporting a somewhat "Frankensteinian look" (actually the stitches were barely visible--but when she first got there and told me the story--saying "Nice try. Tedi"--she had ME in stitches! :D); ishi, who apparently had a great run there on a green horse :);and thumbsontop and toeknee, who may have had some glitches along the way, but were philosophical about it (another learning experience ;))--and enjoyed the venue nonetheless--and what a terrific venue it is! :)

Thanks to the volunteers :D As always, everyone was great, and really, there aren't enough superlatives one can use to describe "The Rubicon experience"...(Thankfully, the weather also cooperated this fall, other than it being a little on the cold side!)

I hope the ground is still okay for the schooling tomorrow; I'll be there schooling a few students (BN and N), and none of them have studs. We got a good bit of rain last night, so I'm betting that I'll be walking around the jumps, pushing in divots with my feet, like I did last fall :p (I feel like it's the LEAST anyone can do for Sheryl and Eric! :yes:)

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 12, 2007, 12:36 PM
And GRCPHOTO--thanks for posting! I saw a little of your stadium round, and you should be really pleased with your progress--you and your mare looked good! ;)

I tried to check out the photos while I was there, only to find (as you explained) that you all were having some "technical difficulties", but these things happen, no fault of yours...You all *always* do a great job, and we are lucky to have you--plus, your customer service has been uniformly good over the years :) Thanks for working SO hard to get the photos up; we all look forward to seeing them. (And we promise NOT to bug/harrass/harangue you until at *least* Thursday...:lol: Patience, everyone! ;))

Ishi
Nov. 12, 2007, 02:26 PM
Dr D I'll be there with two horses schooling tomorrow too. We have two new ones (one packer I'm told and one fancy young horse with a fantastic mind, but it'll be his first time out on XC), and need to make tapes of them. So, we are taking this opportunity to do it at Rubicon! One is a 16'3 white/grey horse (I'll be on) and a 16'2 chestnut paint horse, who my 6'4 boyfriend will be on. If anyone is there, come up and say hi, you can't miss us :lol:

I can't wait to see the pictures. I am so proud of my greenie. He's almost growing up :D I went to Charles Town with a friend who was looking at horses, and ended up coming back the next day with my trailer to buy him as a resale~he's big, pretty, good mind, and has high white behind. Then decided to hold off on the sale, and see what he could do. Poor pony, now he's stuck with me, and I'm so excited to see where he goes as he matures. He's still very much a baby mentally, hopefully he'll grow up. Soon :yes:

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 12, 2007, 03:51 PM
Ishi--I'll keep an eye out for you! The hubby should be "hard to miss" ;)

(I only wish that *I* could get MY 6'4" inch hubby on a horse! :( :sigh:)

(I'm planning to be there from around 11:30-3:00 or so, with 3 students; one by herself, the other two together...if you have a greenie, you will likely be jumping some of the same stuff that we will be :))

It sounds like your guy is coming along really well--and he's just a baby (even though OTT), so I'm sure he'll mature as he goes along. (Heck, my present horse is NINE, and sometimes I find myself apologizing for her "green-SEEMING but *actually* drama-queenish behavior" :uhoh:, even though she's a made horse! :rolleyes: It didn't help that when I bought her, at 5 1/2 years old, she had *literally* never been *anywhere* or done *anything*--and was green-broke...Sometimes the young OTTBs have a bit of an advantage in that dept....;))

GotSpots
Nov. 12, 2007, 06:51 PM
Out of curiousity--what was going on at the water? I think a number of Training horses either questioned the log in (which I thought was a pretty substantial question for the level) or dodged getting right into the water along the left hand edge of the water (I know my boy had a good double take here when he wavered at putting his feet into cold water). I don't think the out caused many issues. I believe other stops mostly were clustered around fence 5 and at the coffin.

Sounds like everyone had quite a good day! Congrats, all around!

c_expresso
Nov. 12, 2007, 06:54 PM
Hope everyone had fun... I am happy, my trainer won her division :)

Ishi
Nov. 12, 2007, 07:11 PM
Dr. D we may have a change, I may be riding BOTH horses tomorrow, but it'll still be a big grey/white horse, and a big chestnut and white paint horse, both clipped, except the legs. In tow will the the MUCH better rider of the two of us, only instead of riding, he'll have the video camera. Unless I become very convincing tonight :lol: We'll see either way, it will be cool to meet some more COTHers!

Milocalwinnings
Nov. 12, 2007, 07:12 PM
Invested: Haha I remember you coming through! A lot of horses were tripping with the little ditch type ground there... but I think you guys are the only one who actually jumped it! Cute horse, btw!

On our volunteer schooling pass, it said there is a schooling on the 17th (Saturday)... is anyone else planning on going to that one? I'll probably be there... maybe see if my trainer can come out for a lesson (she normally doesn't work on the weekends (she is the BM also)).... if any of you guys are going to be there let me know!

Picasso
Nov. 12, 2007, 07:29 PM
I bet I saw a lot of you guys and didn't know who you were! I was there on the Novice day with my daughter (red dun paint, Chaps II) and then again on Sunday with a friend on a chestnut mare (4th place in Training). Anyone see us?

My daughter had a gorgeous jumping round with a SILLY SILLY ending mistake (finish flags? Go through them?) and then clean cross country. Ended 14th, but its all about learning, right? ;)

asterix
Nov. 12, 2007, 09:49 PM
Picasso, I think we need a COTH badge in Area II -- there are SO many of us, but it takes a while for us all to recognize each other...

I'll be there at 10 hoping the footing is good enough for some attacking of big fences!

I was watching for a while at T waiting for bambam to come through -- mostly the trouble I saw at the water was a LOT of stickiness at the log in -- clearly a tough question for the level -- so in the 20 minutes or so I wasthere I saw several stops, one fall after a slo mo pop over the log, and a lot of sticky moments...and then Dr D and bambam bopped right through and showed us how it should be done!

fence 5 caused an awful lot of 'are you sure???' moments, but fewer actual problems in the little while I was watching... couldn't see the coffin, but that is always tough at Rubicon!

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 12, 2007, 10:27 PM
Okay, I will now try to keep an eye out for both Ishi *and* asterix (with Ishi riding BOTH horses, that should be quite a spectacle! :lol: I'm assuming "not at the same time" :p) Gray/white, chestnut/white paint...or pinto? That should be easy to spot...and I know what asterix's big handsome boy looks like ;)

Yah, it's tough to identify fellow COTHers at competitions, sometimes! I never saw asterix yesterday, though I guess she saw me! :D (Thanks for the kind words; methinks The Princess is finding all of this rather easy, and once I'm *positive* that she is able to focus, relax, and "allow me to ride her", she will be bumped up...:))

Milocal--highly recommend schooling on Saturday if you have the chance--I may try to get another student or two to come out! It's always such a wonderful opportunity to get a chance to go over that course "at one's leisure" ;)

Ishi
Nov. 13, 2007, 08:44 AM
The pictures are up already! They got some great ones of the wicked 4 year old, I am so excited! PP did all the stadium ones Saturday and she got some awesome ones there, my greenie is still figuring out stadium is not the same as cross country and getting to the base is what we've been working on. Slowly but surely it seems to be working!

This is my favorite picture of the day, I'm definitely buying this one!
http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/OrderPage.aspx?pi=0EBK006O2N0032&po=32
And these two:
http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/OrderPage.aspx?pi=0EBK006O2N0031&po=31
http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/OrderPage.aspx?pi=0EBK006O2N0000&po=0

And one or two from stadium :D It's the end of the season for us, and I just want to remember how much fun Calypso and I had there, just in case the winter gets too long :lol:

eventmom
Nov. 13, 2007, 09:24 AM
Does anyone know if Rubicon is still open for schooling today?

eventmom
Nov. 13, 2007, 09:25 AM
btw, thanks for the heads up about the photos. Thing is, they only go to 125 so far, and my daughter was #326! Ouch! Can't wait!

toeknee
Nov. 13, 2007, 11:32 AM
yeah! pics already! everyone show and tell:)

ishi-what a cutie! you have only had him for how long?!?! how about I send my ottb's to you and you make them look that good!:lol:

I think it is so funny when I have a nice stadium round there are never any good pictures and when it is horrible there are some decent ones...hmmm
pp-good job making my bad round look OKAY on paper:)haha
some of my favs:
http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/OrderPage.aspx?pi=0EBK006O1P0017&po=17
http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/OrderPage.aspx?pi=0EBK006O1P0026&po=26
http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/OrderPage.aspx?pi=0EBK006O1P0034&po=34
http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/OrderPage.aspx?pi=0EBK006O1P0044&po=44
...some of my faces are priceless! I love my pony!!

thanks for the fast pics GRC!

c_expresso
Nov. 13, 2007, 11:43 AM
What numbers roughly were the training riders? I don't feel like looking through all those pictures.

Cute horses, those that have posted!!

piaffeprincess98
Nov. 13, 2007, 12:11 PM
I forgot to mention, what was up with the red and white posts instead of flags on cross country? I thought they kind of looked funny. Were they flexible? Is this a new thing now?

thumbsontop
Nov. 13, 2007, 03:43 PM
I know, I know...I'm trying to be patient...but I REALLY want to see some pictures!!

Ishi
Nov. 13, 2007, 03:52 PM
Toeknee, I got him off the track in March and started his retraining in mid April. He did his first HT at Surefire and was 3rd in BN in June, then 6th at Loch Moy at N, 5th at Marlbough at BN Champ and then 3rd at N this weekend. I'm hoping we'll be going Training next summer. And I'm secretly hoping he'll be a big time horse for me! He was wicked to start, but once we got through a few things, he's been great! It's actually my job, we retrain off track horses and start young horses. It's so much fun when I get to do one of my own though, I haven't been able to keep one in about 5 years, so this horse is really been great for me. I LOVE my job, it's always exciting :D

Your pictures are awesome too, I LOVE the water one, that is great!

asterix
Nov. 13, 2007, 04:36 PM
Nice day schooling out there -- footing was so-so but for many fences they had enough gravel down to make it work...at least for those of us early-birds!
I fear I made a fairly big mudhole near fence 1 with an ill-advised attempt to drive out up the hill...went around the back and that worked better.

Hope everyone had a good day and availed themselves of the cooler of ice cold drinks stashed at the water, complete with bottle opener :D

Elghund2
Nov. 13, 2007, 04:45 PM
Those were red and white plastic posts that were set in flexible clips. They are designed to pop out if hit hard enough. On the prelim corner combination I had to reset the posts multiple times. Much safer than the old wooden stakes with signs.

Ishi
Nov. 13, 2007, 04:57 PM
asterix, I was walking back on a big grey horse and saw you guys stuck, we were coming over to see if we could help and you got out. Good for you, I thought you were really stuck!

We found the 'stash' at the water, the ice was still ice, and the beer and coke still cold! That was one cool jump :lol:

asterix
Nov. 13, 2007, 05:01 PM
Yeah, I felt pretty stupid about that -- I actually had a good run at the gate the first time, and then someone else, who was stuck and just sitting there (and had been since I started up), started up, cut me off, and I had to stop. :eek:

I should have just retreated completely at that point. phooey.

Glad the "cooler" got used!!!

Invested1
Nov. 13, 2007, 05:27 PM
Invested: Haha I remember you coming through! A lot of horses were tripping with the little ditch type ground there... but I think you guys are the only one who actually jumped it! Cute horse, btw!!

heh--awesome!! :D

And thanks--I generally loff him. :winkgrin:

Invested1
Nov. 13, 2007, 05:40 PM
Well, I'm glad nobody told me the water was sticky or I would have worried about it--as it was, Ted didn't bat an eye. :D He's a good pony. :yes: (usually. :lol:)

Guess that's one of the benefits too about being relatively new to eventing (2.5 years) is that I don't quite recognize things yet as being tough questions for the level. Hopefully, I'll remain in my ignorantly blissful state. :lol:

piaffeprincess98
Nov. 13, 2007, 07:50 PM
Those were red and white plastic posts that were set in flexible clips. They are designed to pop out if hit hard enough. On the prelim corner combination I had to reset the posts multiple times. Much safer than the old wooden stakes with signs.

Ok, interesting. Thanks for the insight. I wonder if we'll be seeing more of those next year.

yellowbritches
Nov. 13, 2007, 08:42 PM
I meant to ask Sheryl or Eric if the boss' mishap in the spring there had anything to do with the new flags. :lol: (He caught a flag under a knee at the skinny after the creek oxer and got popped out of the saddle).

Picasso
Nov. 13, 2007, 08:42 PM
http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/OrderPage.aspx?pi=0EBK006O1V0000&po=0

Stadium - He is so game!
http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/OrderPage.aspx?pi=0EBK006O1V0027&po=27

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/OrderPage.aspx?pi=0EBK006O1V0035&po=35

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/OrderPage.aspx?pi=0EBK006O1V0032&po=32

and just look at that face!! (The horse)

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/OrderPage.aspx?pi=0EBK006O1V0049&po=49

Great pictures!

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 13, 2007, 10:25 PM
Picasso and Ishi--GREAT pix!! :D (Mine aren't up yet, last time I checked...) Picasso, your daughter's horse is adorable :)

Really, *loffly* horses, both :yes: And really good positions on the riders' parts as well--I always envy those of you who have those long thighbones :sigh: ;)

Ishi--I may have seen you there today...Were you on an attractive grey? I saw Lisa Reed and a tall thin guy (the boyfriend? ;)) on foot, near the horse in question; I was schooling my BM at the time, who was on a big plain blood bay, trace-clipped...(I wasn't sure enough of your identity to call out to you in the middle of a schooling session, but if it *was* you, that was one nice horse! :))

asterix--thanks *so* much for the heads-up, both concerning the condition of the course, and the "hidden treasure" in the Training "out of the water" jump...TeeHee! :D (I was finally able to figure out the cryptic message contained in the earlier post by yellowbritches :p I thought I had died and gone to heaven! Honestly, EVERY course should have a jump like that! And the jellybellies on top of the "barbecue grill" were just a bonus :D)

Sorry you got stuck, asterix...I guess, though, if you had to choose, better your *horse* have traction in the mud than your truck--which can always be pulled out by a tractor ;)

My 3 students *all* had a great time schooling, and even though the footing was a little churned up (and slick in places) by the end of the day, it was still a good experience.

Picasso
Nov. 14, 2007, 07:04 AM
Thank you, Dr. D. If he were a person, he would be a surfer dude. Really atheletic, super sweet, but goofy! He drives Picasso (my little horse) crazy following him around the pasture. You can almost hear him saying "what are we gonna do now? what about now? now? how about now?" and Picasso says "LOOK! Santa Clause!" and Chaps of course falls for it for the 200th time and Picasso runs away.

I am loving everyone's pictures! I love the bays!

Ishi
Nov. 14, 2007, 08:05 AM
Dr D that was me! I love that horse (Gus), he's a client's horse and I'm afraid he's not going to be in the barn long. I wish he would stay until I could event him a few times, but he's too nice and too fancy to be sitting for long, someone is going to snatch him up. He's such a love too! He jumped everything out there, plus water, ditches, the banks, and was so easy. Why don't *I* have a horse like him :lol:

I need to shorten my stirrups on cross country. I've been galloping in the mornings and I get home and lower my stirrups, just for a break on my thighs! Anything feels better then having my knees cranked to my chin, I swear!

Picasso, I love your daughter's horse! They look so great, and great pictures too!!!

toeknee
Nov. 14, 2007, 09:34 AM
Ishi-not hard to see you do it for a living! again he looks awsome! have fun with one of your own:)

picasso-what a cutie pie! sufer dude, haha I can see it!

Glad everyone had a good time schooling! Was it really crowded? I am thinking of heading to Loch Moy next week to school one of my greenies....

Lisamarie8
Nov. 14, 2007, 10:38 AM
Cookies keep taking me to the same set of pictures... don't get me wrong, its a VERY interesting set of pictures (#28)... especially the last 15 or so, but I'd love to see everyone else's.

What were every one's numbers? I wish the pics were listed by name, or the Rubicon's results included numbers, how else am I supposed to stalk my friends to see how they did? :D

KateDB
Nov. 14, 2007, 11:25 AM
I noticed those cool new "flags" when I was there on Friday stewarding.
I'm thinking that after the Badminton incident (if I understood that one correctly) these are an interesting alternative, Boss's incident not withstanding!

Invested1
Nov. 14, 2007, 03:21 PM
where you look at your pictures from an event and just think, "Man, I suck!" :sigh:

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 14, 2007, 03:52 PM

Yes, I believe we *all* feel that way on occasion! :yes: I often rip myself apart in photos...

(But we are all also probably more critical of ourselves than other are of us...IOW, I suspect that it's never as bad as you *feel* it is ;) IMHO, you catagorically do NOT suck, in any objective sense of the word; in fact, it sounds like you (and the Ted-Man) had a pretty good day on Sunday! :)

bambam
Nov. 14, 2007, 04:12 PM
where you look at your pictures from an event and just think, "Man, I suck!" :sigh:
pretty much every event (in fact that is essentially what I said in my email to asterix and drjulie this very morning :winkgrin:). I have issues :lol:

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 14, 2007, 04:16 PM
Makes me wonder: do *men* indulge in this same degree of "self-criticism"??? :D

Weigh in here, men! :p

(Maybe they do, but they would be hard pressed to admit it in a public forum...though I've noticed that RAyers is often hard on himslef...for no reason that's apparent to me! ;))

LexInVA
Nov. 14, 2007, 04:33 PM
Makes me wonder: do *men* indulge in this same degree of "self-criticism"??? :D

Weigh in here, men! :p

(Maybe they do, but they would be hard pressed to admit it in a public forum...though I've noticed that RAyers is often hard on himslef...for no reason that's apparent to me! ;))

You know we do but we keep it to ourselves. Otherwise we'd be in violation of Man Law #731 which states "Criticizing yourself is not permitted except when in the presence of other men." Violation of this law results in a $250 dollar fine and suspension of membership for one month.

Invested1
Nov. 14, 2007, 04:34 PM
pretty much every event (in fact that is essentially what I said in my email to asterix and drjulie this very morning :winkgrin:). I have issues :lol:

We must have the same issues. :lol:

asterix
Nov. 14, 2007, 05:04 PM
LexinVA, I KNEW IT!!!
No one has ever admitted the existence of this law before :lol::lol:

I was indeed having this conversation with bambam this morning, because LOTS of her pictures are good this time around, and she seems to think they are not. She is wrong. WRONG wrong wrong.

We should just enjoy these things -- but somehow we can't. I for one have gotten quite hung up on, you know, VPL or other off-subject infelicitous things I find in my photos, rather than saying "wow, a nice memento of a great day with my excellent equine partner, sound, happy, and healthy." :rolleyes:

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 14, 2007, 05:09 PM
You know we do but we keep it to ourselves. Otherwise we'd be in violation of Man Law #731 which states "Criticizing yourself is not permitted except when in the presence of other men." Violation of this law results in a $250 dollar fine and suspension of membership for one month.

AHA!!!

Lex, you crack me up (often! ;))

asterix, we must help each other break this *awful* habit...:p

Maybe a "self-help" group for "compulsive self-criticizers" who nitpick excessively and engage in ""self-mocking" and "riding dysmorphic" behaviors?!? :winkgrin:

yellowbritches
Nov. 14, 2007, 05:53 PM
Some one needs to tell the boss about that man law then! He fusses over his pictures and videos quite a bit. I routinely tell him that he's a bit of a girl about some things, though :lol:

I know I pick myself apart. Watched a video of myself riding a First Level test a couple of weeks ago and put myself through the ringer...and it doesn't seem to matter how many times someone tells you my riding has come so far, I still don't feel like I've got my act together. Oh well. If we didn't pick ourselves apart, we'd never really figure out what we need to work on, huh?

Jazzy Lady
Nov. 14, 2007, 06:11 PM
Ishi - What a super horse! Love the photos!!!

I too only saw those pics when clicking on others links.

thumbsontop
Nov. 14, 2007, 07:15 PM
I am SO pleased with little ToT's pictures! #338

Pony will go to VEI Friday (thanks for the advice!) and hopefully we'll get a definitive answer to her recent soreness without spending a fortune!

piaffeprincess98
Nov. 15, 2007, 06:27 AM
Cookies keep taking me to the same set of pictures... don't get me wrong, its a VERY interesting set of pictures (#28)... especially the last 15 or so, but I'd love to see everyone else's.

What were every one's numbers? I wish the pics were listed by name, or the Rubicon's results included numbers, how else am I supposed to stalk my friends to see how they did? :D

I took those. That was pretty crazy, the most amazing fall sequence I've ever taken.

eventmom
Nov. 15, 2007, 07:51 AM
I was smart and saved the list we got in my kids packet:) We had the "remember that number" problem last spring!
Anyway, my daughter was #326! She did so well! The pony was a jumping machine that day!!! Some of the pictures are awesome! Those little legs of his makes him look like he is flying:lol:

yellowbritches
Nov. 15, 2007, 08:18 AM
I saw there show jumping round! He WAS a little jumping machine!!! And well ridden, too. :yes:

bambam
Nov. 15, 2007, 08:28 AM
Maybe a "self-help" group for "compulsive self-criticizers" who nitpick excessively and engage in ""self-mocking" and "riding dysmorphic" behaviors?!? :winkgrin:
now that is a club I should become a member of (and I must admit the thought that, "well I may look like crap but at least I don't have VPL" actually crossed my mind when looking at pics- as I said there are some "issues" here :lol:)
Abnd thank you LexVA for actually admitting it!! I think we all knew, but could never get it confirmed :lol:

eventmom
Nov. 15, 2007, 08:46 AM
I saw there show jumping round! He WAS a little jumping machine!!! And well ridden, too. :yes:
Payback for him being a complete brat in the spring and getting her dq'd cross country! (hopefully those issues are solved:))

Catalina
Nov. 15, 2007, 09:46 AM
I took those. That was pretty crazy, the most amazing fall sequence I've ever taken.

Wow, those are an amazing set of pictures :eek:. I keep rooting for the rider to get back in the saddle and then, bam, up horsie goes again. Wild stuff.

asterix
Nov. 15, 2007, 10:09 AM
Those WILL cure you of any worrying about minor position flaws or clothing malfunctions :D
Catalina, I had the opposite reaction -- why didn't she just LET GO THE LEFT REIN!!! The poor horse!!! I know she was trying to stay on through the finish flags (right, if you fall off after that it's ok, right -- unless the horse leaves the ring without you...) but, wow....

Moody Mare
Nov. 15, 2007, 10:22 AM
Those WILL cure you of any worrying about minor position flaws or clothing malfunctions :D
Catalina, I had the opposite reaction -- why didn't she just LET GO THE LEFT REIN!!! The poor horse!!! I know she was trying to stay on through the finish flags (right, if you fall off after that it's ok, right -- unless the horse leaves the ring without you...) but, wow....

I had to see what all the talk was about. Now I want to cry.
OUCH!

eventmom
Nov. 15, 2007, 10:41 AM
How does ones helmet fall off like that? Amazing!

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 15, 2007, 10:45 AM
HOLY $%*#!!

:eek:

thumbsontop
Nov. 15, 2007, 10:55 AM
That's the most amazing photo sequence I've ever seen! Wow! I cannot believe the rider managed to put both feet on the ground. Poor horse - good thing he had a mild bit!

FrittSkritt
Nov. 15, 2007, 11:48 AM
How does ones helmet fall off like that? Amazing!

When that helmet isn't approved. :mad:

I've said on numerous occasions at events that his/her helmet is an old Caliente, and therefore NOT ASTM/SEI approved, thus illegal... and as you can see, not very safe as the strap doesn't really stay put.

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 15, 2007, 11:51 AM
Hmmmmm....

So who polices these things??

FrittSkritt
Nov. 15, 2007, 11:53 AM
The TD, presumably. I even mentioned this to the stadium judge (as I was sitting right next to her), but I don't think she had the authority to do so...?

Edited to add:
Not listed on the SEI site (what USEA uses for a standard):
http://www.seinet.org/search/search.php
(or http://www.seinet.org/CPL/pre/cplfall02.pdf if the above doesn't work)

I'm going to take a wild guess and show why it's probably not ;)...
http://secondrunning.com/images/Helmet_3.jpg

Moody Mare
Nov. 15, 2007, 03:24 PM
When that helmet isn't approved. :mad:

I've said on numerous occasions at events that his/her helmet is an old Caliente, and therefore NOT ASTM/SEI approved, thus illegal... and as you can see, not very safe as the strap doesn't really stay put.

I have to admit seeing those pictures is causing my mind to race with lots of questions and concerns.

How much of the 'trying to stay on' was an instant reaction, and how much was exacerbated by the new 'fall of rider in stadium = elimination' rule?

IF, given that exact situation/scenario, somehow the rider managed to stay on, would there have been some penalty, or even an elimination?

asterix
Nov. 15, 2007, 03:40 PM
Moody Mare, that's a great point and I would bet good money it's why that was such a prolonged (and unsuccessful) struggle.
There is a "dangerous riding" penalty that can be assessed, interesting question as to whether you can incur it while falling off...

piaffeprincess98
Nov. 15, 2007, 05:27 PM
Her left stirrup leather also came off, so maybe an equipment malfunction? It was prelim, and since I was looking through a camera lense the whole time, I might be wrong, but she seemed to be jumping ahead of him alot and she must have lost her balance over the last fence and he got upset on landing. He probably kept going up because she didn't let go of the reins.

yellowbritches
Nov. 15, 2007, 05:38 PM
I actually know the rider (though do not claim the person in any way). I wonder what went wrong this past weekend, up until Rubicon they'd been if not winning, placing very well at OP.

Janet
Nov. 15, 2007, 06:04 PM
The TD, presumably. I even mentioned this to the stadium judge (as I was sitting right next to her), but I don't think she had the authority to do so...? On the contrary, the ground jury has the authority. Sometimes the show jumping judge is onthe ground jury, sometimes not.

The TD does NOT have the authority (unless the pres of GJ is not available) to eliminate, though he/she can certainly draw it to the attention of the GJ.

f. Violation of this rule at any time, at the discretion of the Ground Jury, shall be penalized and may result in elimination.

FrittSkritt
Nov. 15, 2007, 06:18 PM
Ah. Thanks for the clarification. :)

'Course I'm too much of a weenie to tell the proper authorities. :p

Picasso
Nov. 15, 2007, 07:38 PM
Thanks again for the comments on my daughter and her horse!
The fall pictures are amazing on a number of levels! You have a gift, PiaffePrincess!

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 15, 2007, 07:59 PM
On a (sort of) related note, we *really* missed piaffeprincess (and Gary, who was on a horse!) on Sunday--the timing of the shots (O/F) was often just not as good! :sigh:

Which is not to say that I'm not SO grateful for even having a photgrapher--let alone a *consistently* competent one--taking photos! ;)

(That didn't used to be the case...:sigh: We're lucky, these days!)

Milocalwinnings
Nov. 15, 2007, 08:20 PM
No wonder #28 lost her stirrup... I didn't see her with her heel down, or even somewhat down in any of the pics.... and her leg was so far back too!:eek:

I'll be at Rubicon on Saturday for their schooling day around 1:00 with my trainer having a lesson. I'll be on the 15.2hh grey horse w/ a purple XC vest. Feel free to say hi if you all are there! Does anyone know if they will be there?

thumbsontop
Nov. 16, 2007, 06:40 AM
Interesting point on the dangerous riding - it appears you could make a case for that.

Of course, even with such a great photo sequence, it's difficult to say without actually being there.

GotSpots
Nov. 16, 2007, 09:00 AM
On a (sort of) related note, we *really* missed piaffeprincess (and Gary, who was on a horse!) on Sunday--the timing of the shots (O/F) was often just not as good! :sigh: Agreed. Sadly, many of my XC shots were out of focus. So it goes. I'll chalk it up to the Tru-ster having a speedy jump!

Moody Mare
Nov. 16, 2007, 09:30 AM
Interesting point on the dangerous riding - it appears you could make a case for that.

Of course, even with such a great photo sequence, it's difficult to say without actually being there.

You're absolutely right! In just looking at the pictures, it appears a case could be argued for both dangerous riding and (inadvertant) cruelty of the horse, but having not been there to see what happened firsthand, who can really say.

Catalina
Nov. 16, 2007, 10:22 AM
You're absolutely right! In just looking at the pictures, it appears a case could be argued for both dangerous riding and (inadvertant) cruelty of the horse, but having not been there to see what happened firsthand, who can really say.

I have to disagree to an extent. I have been in similar situations and, when things get really scary like that, self preservation mode kicks in and you do anything you can to stay on the horse and not go crashing to the ground. I imagine that in person it was a lot less dramatic and probably over in a matter of seconds. The amazing pictures show moments that most of us would not even have picked up on in real life.

I imagine that in several of my prolonged falls (or almost falls), if pictures had been taken, there would have been a lot of inadvertant cruel things happening as I struggled to stay on. I don't consider that dangerous riding, just self preservation. I don't know the rider in question, but I highly doubt that she was thinking "Hang on no matter what so I don't get eliminated even if it is cruel to the horse". As fast as it probably happened, it was most likely more along the lines of her brain telling her body 'Stay on so we don't get hurt'. I could be wrong, but, from my experience, that is the way I think.

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 16, 2007, 10:25 AM
I have to disagree to an extent. I have been in similar situations and, when things get really scary like that, self preservation mode kicks in and you do anything you can to stay on the horse and not go crashing to the ground. I imagine that in person it was a lot less dramatic and probably over in a matter of seconds. The amazing pictures show moments that most of us would not even have picked up on in real life.

I imagine that in several of my prolonged falls (or almost falls), if pictures had been taken, there would have been a lot of inadvertant cruel things happening as I struggled to stay on. I don't consider that dangerous riding, just self preservation. I don't know the rider in question, but I highly doubt that she was thinking "Hang on no matter what so I don't get eliminated even if it is cruel to the horse". As fast as it probably happened, it was most likely more along the lines of her brain telling her body 'Stay on so we don't get hurt'. I could be wrong, but, from my experience, that is the way I think.

Excellent point, Catalina! :yes:

Tazzie
Nov. 16, 2007, 11:10 AM

I was working stadium ingate and witnessed this round from beginning to end. For all intents the round started off fine. But when this incident happened it was in slow motion from beginning to end. I remember saying outloud multiiple times "just let go" b/c there were at least 2 times where she almost pulled the horse over. It was quite scary to watch b/c each time the horse reared the horse went higher and higher. I couldn't tell how her helmet came off, just all of a sudden it was flying to the ground. Once she jumped off she walked the horse out and the horse was fine. She got back on near warm up and walked and circled for quite a few minutes before going back to the trailer. I was glad that it didn't end up ugly b/c it looked like it might for a few minutes!

FrittSkritt
Nov. 16, 2007, 11:13 AM
OH MAN!

For some reason I thought the volunteer schooling day was this past Tuesday (so I wouldn't have been able to go due to work), but apparently it's tomorrow! D'OH! I gave away my pass! (Though I earned two at June's HT and gave one to Dr. D, so maybe they're transferrable... :p) Either way, my trainer is in Costa Rica :rolleyes:, so I don't have a groundsperson. Dammit! :( :mad: :no:

flyingchange
Nov. 16, 2007, 11:19 AM

Sorry, but from those pictures (well done Piaffe!) there were quite a few opportunities there for the guy to simply let go of the horse's neck/head and he would have landed on the ground feet first. The horse only got upset and defensively stood up when the guy was using his (the horse's) head, neck, and mouth as a mounting stool to get back on. This made the poor horse understandably upset and I don't blame him at all for going straight up.

Much different from a bucking/bolting/rodeo episode where if you fall you are going to crash and you make every effort to stay on, no matter what.

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 16, 2007, 04:13 PM
OH MAN!

For some reason I thought the volunteer schooling day was this past Tuesday (so I wouldn't have been able to go due to work), but apparently it's tomorrow! D'OH! I gave away my pass! (Though I earned two at June's HT and gave one to Dr. D, so maybe they're transferrable... :p) Either way, my trainer is in Costa Rica :rolleyes:, so I don't
have a groundsperson. Dammit! :( :mad: :no:

Dang, Fritt! :sigh:

(Now I feel guilty...You finally have a horse, and no pass! :()

I can't IMAGINE that Sheryl and Eric wouldn't allow you to school anyway--especially if you were to be able to find a groundperson...They know you, and you *always* volunteer!

Or maybe I owe them a "volunteering freebie"?? :D

(I'm always competing AND coaching at Rubicon's HT--making it impossible to volunteer--but maybe I can offer to fill in as ring crew for one of their schooling jumper shows this summer...and bring an entire 12-pack of Corona, instead of the usual 3 or 4 bottles...:p)

Dr. Doolittle
Nov. 16, 2007, 04:15 PM
I was working stadium ingate and witnessed this round from beginning to end. For all intents the round started off fine. But when this incident happened it was in slow motion from beginning to end. I remember saying outloud multiiple times "just let go" b/c there were at least 2 times where she almost pulled the horse over. It was quite scary to watch b/c each time the horse reared the horse went higher and higher. I couldn't tell how her helmet came off, just all of a sudden it was flying to the ground. Once she jumped off she walked the horse out and the horse was fine. She got back on near warm up and walked and circled for quite a few minutes before going back to the trailer. I was glad that it didn't end up ugly b/c it looked like it might for a few minutes!

YIKES! Maybe it *was*one of those situations where it actually *looked* as bad--or worse--than it felt! :eek:

hey101
Nov. 16, 2007, 05:03 PM
Catalina- I looked at the photos before i read any of these comments, and at first I thought more along the same lines as you- the natural instinct to stay on and not get hurt, more than the new rule about elimination.

But then as I flipped through them (and 40 photos tells you something about how long the actual incident took!) and saw her using her horses' mouth to try to get herself back on (versus the more usual hanging on to the neck type of struggle), and the horse looked like it was rearing up and down higher and higher nad higher... well then I started to think more along Moody Mare's train of thought- it looked very abusive to the horse. I don't blame him for trying to get her off. I hope his mouth wasn't all ripped up.