PDA

View Full Version : If money were no object...

Mrs. Smith
Sep. 20, 2007, 04:00 PM
I'm not even sure how to phrase these questions, but I love looking at stallion ads and I'm getting more interested in the breeding side of racing. Let's pretend like we have more money than we could ever spend...

First, if you could breed to any stallion, who would it be? Maybe it's a mare that you actually have or maybe you have a dream mare with a fabulous pedigree/record and you know exactly who you'd breed her to.

Second, is there a broodmare band you envy? If you could "inherit" any group of mares, which ones would they be?

Barnfairy
Sep. 20, 2007, 04:19 PM
If money were no object, I would seek out and purchase Missy Slew (http://www.pedigreequery.com/missy+slew), the dam of the horse I fostered for CANTER this summer, and send her to Rahy again. I'd have to get on this pretty quickly because she's no spring chicken anymore.

If money were no object, I would have bought the newborn Cryptoclearance x Ocean Isle (Dynaformer) filly I met this last May on the spot. I have a fondness for Cryptoclearance and other Fappianos. Real thoroughbreds, in body and in mind/heart.

Beaver Breeze
Sep. 20, 2007, 04:55 PM
I'm not even sure how to phrase these questions, but I love looking at stallion ads and I'm getting more interested in the breeding side of racing. Let's pretend like we have more money than we could ever spend...

First, if you could breed to any stallion, who would it be? Maybe it's a mare that you actually have or maybe you have a dream mare with a fabulous pedigree/record and you know exactly who you'd breed her to.

Second, is there a broodmare band you envy? If you could "inherit" any group of mares, which ones would they be?

The stallion to which I'd breed would depend on my purpose-- am I selling or racing? If selling, probably Distorted Humor. If racing, I'd go to Cozzene.

I'd love the Juddmonte broodmare band.

dressagetraks
Sep. 20, 2007, 05:18 PM
I'll take the Phipps broodmares. They can breed them to Seeking the Gold and Pulpit before they leave Claiborne for my farm. :)

Acertainsmile
Sep. 20, 2007, 05:57 PM
Seems like a no brainer... I'd breed to Storm Cat... and sell the baby for a million bucks.

Linny
Sep. 20, 2007, 10:42 PM
Seems like a no brainer... I'd breed to Storm Cat... and sell the baby for a million bucks.

Storm Cat took a beating at the KY sale, and his fee is about to be reduced. As for the Phipps mares, be careful, alot of them are by Seeking the Gold!:winkgrin:

I agree about the Juddmonte mares and Stonerside has a nice band as well. Depending on the mare, I'd go to Distorted Humor or A P Indy. I was not an Indy fan when he raced but he looks like the last best hope for the Bold Ruler sireline that was so dominant when I started to follow racing.

My "breeding dream" would be to turn back the clock and get in on Danzig and Distorted Humor when they were pretty cheap. DH was $7500 when his first crop was conceived.

QHJockee
Sep. 20, 2007, 10:48 PM
Hands down, I'd go to AP Indy, or perhaps Unbridled's Song. For a mid level price definitely Elusive Quality. Broodmare band - definitely the Phipps or Darby Dan's 20 years ago.

dressagetraks
Sep. 20, 2007, 11:36 PM
Oh, if we're getting into time travel, I'll head back and first off, breed everything to Man o' War, and second, knock Samuel Riddle in the head to try to put some sense in there. Utterly amazing that MoW was as good a sire as he was, considering how mismanaged he was. Can you imagine what he would have been handled right as a stud? In all ways, he was, in the words of his groom, "de mostest hoss."

dressagetraks
Sep. 20, 2007, 11:40 PM
P.S. The year after breeding everything to Man o' War, I'd go back again and use Count Fleet. IMHO, the best TC winner (ducking from Secretariat fans; we all are entitled to our opinions :D). Did you know that CF's total winning margin for the 3 TC races was equal to Secretariat's? And CF suffered a career ending injury in the Belmont, which had to cost him a length or two. And CF was a very good sire. One of my favorite horses, and, I believe, underrated these days.

skatepixie
Sep. 21, 2007, 01:35 AM
Secretariat fan throws punch....lol Remember, Big Red broke track records in all three triple crown races, and set a world record in the Belmont. Oh, and his Preakness was one of the most beautiful moves I've ever seen.

If the baby were to sell...I'd score a Dynaformer out of La Ville Rouge.

For keeps...that's harder. I'd most likely pick AP Indy. Or perhaps Storm Cat (I love the Northern Dance lines).

Beaver Breeze
Sep. 21, 2007, 10:28 AM
Storm Cat took a beating at the KY sale, and his fee is about to be reduced. As for the Phipps mares, be careful, alot of them are by Seeking the Gold!:winkgrin:

I agree about the Juddmonte mares and Stonerside has a nice band as well. Depending on the mare, I'd go to Distorted Humor or A P Indy. I was not an Indy fan when he raced but he looks like the last best hope for the Bold Ruler sireline that was so dominant when I started to follow racing.

My "breeding dream" would be to turn back the clock and get in on Danzig and Distorted Humor when they were pretty cheap. DH was $7500 when his first crop was conceived.

$12,500, actually, but I'm with you and have often wished I could turn back that clock! Saint Ballado at $2,500 would be a good deal, too.

Acertainsmile
Sep. 21, 2007, 11:01 AM
Linny, just read the article on Storm Cat... drats... okay, I'd have to go with A.P. Indy... LOL...

Didnt realize we could time travel here... I would have to breed at least one mare to Man O' War...

Glimmerglass
Sep. 21, 2007, 11:50 AM
Call me crazy, but Invasor mixed with Makybe Diva (http://makybediva.com/) would suit me just fine.

dressagetraks
Sep. 21, 2007, 01:33 PM
Oh, I agree that Secretariat was absolutely brilliant. The thing that always impressed me most about Count Fleet, though, wasn't just his brilliant victories in the TC but what he overcame in them. He had an obstacle that no other TC winner had to face. In 1943, in the middle of the war, gas was severely rationed, and track maintenance had been cut down to the absolute minimum, see how many corners we can cut version on harrowing and watering. They were trying to run the tractors as little as possible. So the track wasn't groomed up for its big day. It wasn't even in average condition. Watch replays of CF's Belmont especially, and watch the kickback from his feet. Dusty puffs. You can tell how lousy the track condition is. Hertz always attributed CF's injury to the wartime rationing and its effects on the track. On that track, which was in horrible condition, and with an injury and his jockey trying to pull him up after realizing he was injured, CF won the Belmont by 25 lengths. That impresses me.

Resuming our scheduled discussion, I'd also like to stick some of the Phipps mares in my time machine after picking them up, and breed to Seattle Slew. I loved Slew. (And no, I'm not ranking Slew above Secretariat, but I still loved him as a racehorse. His record as a sire speaks for itself.)

Barnfairy
Sep. 21, 2007, 02:22 PM
Call me crazy, but Invasor mixed with Makybe Diva (http://makybediva.com/) would suit me just fine.Geez, you don't dream big, do you.

I am impressed with Makybe Diva. The new mom isn't settling for resting on her laurels after three Melbourne Cups...no no, she's launching her own website. Very ambitious lady, that one.

ravenclaw
Sep. 21, 2007, 02:34 PM
I would love to have a baby by Street Cry and out of Personal Ensign.

Personal Ensign was a favorite of mine and because of Street Sense, I now love Street Cry.

I think Street Cry and Personal Ensign both have good temperaments, so the baby would probably be sweet as well as gorgeous. :)

Artful
Sep. 21, 2007, 02:45 PM
Well, if we're going to go back in time, I'll take Christopher Chenery's broodmare band!
I'd take Film Maker, right now!
Heck, I'd take Storm Flag Flying, even with her interesting personality :lol:

Catsdorule-sigh
Sep. 22, 2007, 01:35 AM
Time travel?

Then I'd want to try the following mares crossed with Man O' War:

Somethingroyal, dam of Secretariat and Sir Gaylord
Quickly, Count Fleet's dam
Hydroplane, Citiation's dam
Hildene
Gaga, dam of Tom Fool
Selene

Now that's going forward and back in time, I think!

La Ville Rouge goes back to Man O' War so maybe even with "time travel" that wouldn't be a good idea or would mess up the time line or something. Ditto for My Charmer, dam of Seattle Slew.

I agree that Man O' War was mismanaged. Maybe if Riddle had been more open, that male line would still be strong today.

Pronzini
Sep. 22, 2007, 07:59 AM
I have a mare I'd like to try with Unbridled's Song.

WhiteCamry
Sep. 25, 2007, 11:13 AM
I agree that Man O' War was mismanaged. Maybe if Riddle had been more open, that male line would still be strong today.

As was Seabiscuit. What were the chances of getting good crosses in California in the 1940s?

LyndaPellitteri31
Sep. 25, 2007, 09:16 PM
I would buy Round Pond at the Sale and breed her to AP Indy.

Then I would by Blowing Kisses after her career ends and breed her to either AP Indy or Vindication.

vineyridge
Sep. 26, 2007, 01:45 PM
I'd buy Rags to Riches Dam, send her to Europe and breed her to Sadler's Wells or Shirocco. Then I'd let the offspring run anywhere but the US.