PDA

View Full Version : LP spin-off, celebrities that are unexpected horse peeps

Tiempo
Sep. 6, 2007, 09:15 PM
I heard on the radio today Whoopi Goldberg defending her Michael Vick comments..she said she has 13 horses.

I know the more obvious ones like Cheryl Crow, Bo Derek and Patrick Swayze, and the guitar player of Metallica has Freisians.

Who else?

Renae
Sep. 6, 2007, 09:20 PM
William Shatner breeds and show Saddlebreds and has also had reiners
Martha Stewart has Friesians
Oprah has Walking Horses
Jesse Ventura's family has Saddlebreds

yellowbritches
Sep. 6, 2007, 09:22 PM
One of the women from Desperate House Wives used to event.

Linda Blair does all sorts of stuff with horses.

There is actually quite the list...I should ask the boss. He spent a loooooong time in Hollywood, so could probably give you a surprising list. I know he used to teach one of the band members from Jane's Addiction and I think he had a roommate that was a drummer in some pretty big bands that had horses.

Aggie4Bar
Sep. 6, 2007, 09:23 PM
Along the lines of LP... the blind singer Andrea Boccelli also has horses. Arabians, I think. And he does ride in spite of his blindness.

I thought it was either Slash or Joe Perry that had the Friesians. ?

Nski32
Sep. 6, 2007, 09:26 PM
Shania Twain

citydog
Sep. 6, 2007, 09:28 PM
George Foreman has gaited critters, including (at one time, at least) Icelandics, which makes for a really funny picture. :lol:

Whoopi Goldberg is right near me--there was much excitement at one of the local tack shops when it came time to deliver a custom tack trunk to her (quite lovely) place.

Thomas_1
Sep. 6, 2007, 09:33 PM
Keith Richard from the Rolling Stones - shows and breeds Arab horses

Madonna is famous for falling off them! And being photographed on them looking like a 3rd rate hooker !

Orlando Bloom rides well and was in Pony Club.

Bryan Ferry - lead singer from Roxy Music - Fox hunting (and I sold him a horse!)

Katie Price (aka Jordan) - Dressage rider

Obviously the Royal Family: Duke of Edinburgh - fei teams HDT driver
Princess Anne - eventer and fox hunting, Prince Charles - polo player and amature national hunt jockey and fox hunting, Zara Philips - eventer, Princes William and Harry - fox hunting and polo. Queen - influential breeder of Cleveland Bays, Dutch Warmbloods, T/b's - also an outstanding rider - side saddle and astride and fox hunting.

Doesn't Stephanie Powers do something too??

ybiaw
Sep. 6, 2007, 10:30 PM
Joe Perry does have Fresians.

There's a book out about celebrities and their horses...."People we know and the horses they love" or something like that.

Jewel has horses....Mark McGrath and Alex Trebek have racehorses...Paul Newman, Richard Gere, Whoopi Goldberg, Hilary Duff, Maria Shriver (I wonder if AAAHNALD rides?), Jeff Bridges, Morgan Freeman, Christie Brinkley, and Robert Redford all have horses, too.

Chevy Chase has Icelandics (which is almost as funny a mental image as George Foreman having them!)

~Freedom~
Sep. 6, 2007, 10:34 PM
Wayne Newton has/had Arabians.

Charles Bronson's wife...is it Bo Dereck has Andies or Lusitanos

Beverley
Sep. 6, 2007, 10:35 PM
Lyle Lovett and Morgan Freeman. And in my youth fellow competitors included Doc Severinson's kid and A.J. Foyt's kid (a tb trainer in KY last I heard).

Angela Freda
Sep. 6, 2007, 10:38 PM
I saw Robin Quivers (Howard Sterns sidekick) at HITS Ellenville several years ago.
Her horse Flash? Blaze? refused 3 times and she came out laughing... gotta' give her props for that since when they announced that she was riding EVERYONE came over to watch.

elizabeth1
Sep. 6, 2007, 10:48 PM
Whoopi spends a lot of time in my neighborhood. She has a man friend here..for the last 5 years or so. He's a nice, small-time local guy who owns some beautiful property. He's unpretentious.

They are building a really beautiful place refered to locally as "The Compound". I'm sure he provided the land and she's behind the house. I'm surprised to hear she has horses. There's plenty of land for horses but I haven't seen a barn-type building going up. It could be coming.

She's a regular site in this small town. No one bothers her.

BarbB
Sep. 6, 2007, 10:51 PM
Not Hollywood, but Joe Montana is an avid western rider and his wife has done the hunters for a long long time. She owned one of the South Pacific kids that was such a knockout.

lil'redbarn
Sep. 6, 2007, 11:15 PM
[QUOTE=Thomas_1;2668834]Keith Richard from the Rolling Stones - shows and breeds Arab horses

Right band, wrong member? Were you thinking of Charlie Watts?
Shirley and Charlie Watts own Halsdon Arabians. (http://www.halsdonarabians.com/index.htm)

Shirley Watts recently purchased the highest selling horse at the 2007 Pride of Poland Sale. Beautiful 2003 bay mare named Pieta.

Haven't heard about Keith Richards owning Arabians. I would see him as more of an Akhal Teke kinda guy:winkgrin:

Bluesy
Sep. 6, 2007, 11:37 PM
I've been reading waaay too many threads about NH...I kept on trying to make sense out of this title thinking you meant Linda Parelli, until it finally clicked you meant the thread on Luciano Pavarotti. :lol:

Elizabeth Tayor was given the horse she rode in National Velvet for her birthday...I think his name was Prince Charming.

James Cagney raised Morgans (Yep - I'm a TCM whore :D)
edit : pictures of his ranch: http://www.americassuburb.com/cagney.html

SEFBH87
Sep. 6, 2007, 11:39 PM
I had a day off of work a few weeks ago and was watching Martha Stewart's show. I started laughing histerically when she called out her groom for being sick over the weekend. it was something along the lines of "I had so much time this weekend to come up with this wonderful thing, because I could not go riding because my groom was not there! Thanks so much!"

Um... you can't go brush off a horse and tack them up yourself?

starlady
Sep. 7, 2007, 12:24 AM
The opera singer Pavarotti, who just died, loved to ride. He was a very large man and went to great effort to get big, sturdy, horses who could carry him comfortably. (Had an 17-h Irish hunter, I heard). He would sing to them. Lucky horses.

--s.

pintopiaffe
Sep. 7, 2007, 12:42 AM
My wonderful old gem of a Trak mare was bred by... erm... don't know his first name, but Graham (Steve maybe?) of the Rock Group Foreigner. The breeding cert actually has his sister or wife's name, with the real surname (Grammatica (sp))

Sorry, not my kind of music...

Mare was a fancy TB hunter show name "Right for the Times" bred to Anne Gribbons/Knoll Farm's *Malachit.

That's my brush with fame. :lol:

Su Valley
Sep. 7, 2007, 01:01 AM
Stephanie Powers is a polo player.

Pretty darned sure my Dad said John Wayne had horses, but for the life of me I can't remember what breed, when or where. What can I say, I was a kid when they sat down over a few toddies, lol

CA ASB
Sep. 7, 2007, 01:39 AM
George Foreman has Saddlebreds. He likes to buy studs ... keeps them whole. I know that he has at least a cremello and a black stud.

Ronald Reagan had a variety of horses. He was given a Saddlebred by Callaway Hills stables.

Patrick Duffy has Saddlebreds. So does Carson Kressley. He also rides Friesians. His family had Shetland ponies. The lady who played Miss Kitty on Gunsmoke (Amanda???) had hackney ponies. Stephen Jobs (Apple Computer) had Morgans. Ahhnold and Bo Derek have Andalusians and Maria Shriver rides.

Dennis Quaid has horses on his ranch in Montana. Robert Redford is partial to Palominos. Christie Brinkley rides cutting horses as does Joe Montana and Tanya Tucker. Richard Gere has Appys. Oprah has TWH. Zsa Zsa Gabor competed on TWH. Swayze and Newton have Arabs.

Shatner is one of the few Rose Parade Grand Marshals to ever RIDE. He rode his own Saddlebred. He just won a World Championship with his road horse (Standardbred) at the Kentucky State Fair in August. His wife, Liz, is a former horse trainer and I watched her win her own World Championship on her ASB, Boston Legal, just a few classes later. They did the same thing a few years ago as well ...

Lindsay and Sydney Greenbush (played Carrie Ingalls on Little House on the Prairie) are actually horse trainers now. Another LHOP alum, Melissa Gilbert also has horses.

Madonna, Alyssa Milano, Alex Trebek ...

beybladesabre
Sep. 7, 2007, 01:44 AM
Viggo Mortensen has a number of horses, he bought one of the horses off LOTR and one f the horses off Hidalgo... Quite a few of his horses are stallions too apparently:)

Thomas_1
Sep. 7, 2007, 06:09 AM
Right band, wrong member? Were you thinking of Charlie Watts?
Shirley and Charlie Watts own Halsdon Arabians. (http://www.halsdonarabians.com/index.htm)

Shirley Watts recently purchased the highest selling horse at the 2007 Pride of Poland Sale. Beautiful 2003 bay mare named Pieta.

Haven't heard about Keith Richards owning Arabians. I would see him as more of an Akhal Teke kinda guy:winkgrin: duhhhh of course you're right. That what comes of being up late waiting for a cow to calf!

That and being a Rolling Stones Fan in the 60's must have frazzled my brain :winkgrin:

Lori T
Sep. 7, 2007, 06:26 AM
Tom Selleck
Leanne Rimes
Brad Paisley
Harrison Ford

Orlando Bloom in pony club?? Can't wait to tell my daughters!

Frank B
Sep. 7, 2007, 08:14 AM
Several of the NASCAR drivers have horses, but I can't remember the details. I think Dale (#3) Earnhart had Quarter Horses. Ryan Newman's name pops into memory also.

Google hasn't been any help on this, but FWIW did turn up that Tony Stewart has a pet monkey.

Bluey
Sep. 7, 2007, 08:23 AM
Stephanie Powers is a polo player.

Pretty darned sure my Dad said John Wayne had horses, but for the life of me I can't remember what breed, when or where. What can I say, I was a kid when they sat down over a few toddies, lol

Yes, John Wayne had some ranch/es and a feedlot in AZ.
He bought all the colts from a friend here, that were shipped to the feedlot the summer they were two's.
All registered AQHA. He used some of them in the movies, one being the bright sorrel with all that white called "Dollar".

TBsRgr8
Sep. 7, 2007, 08:33 AM
David Letterman has often talked about his horses on his ranch.

Dakota Fanning was also given a horse by the actor that played her father in Dreamer.

wookiee
Sep. 7, 2007, 08:36 AM
Orlando Bloom in pony club?? Can't wait to tell my daughters!

I don't think fair Orlando is a PC graduate. If you watch the behind the scenes footage of the LOTR series they show him learning to ride, and he was definitely up/down material. He also comments about how much he struggled with the riding at the beginning, and needed 6 weeks of training prior to shooting. But that once shooting his scenes in Rohan with Perry, his horse, it all clicked and now he loves them.

So although he is now a great rider, it was not from previous training. In fact, the only one on the show who really rode and knew anything was Viggo. Everyone else, including Faramir, Theoden, Eowyn, and Eomer learned at the time. And considering they were supposed to represent a Horse People, I think they did pretty well.

Although every time I watched Theoden ride, I was like, PUT those elbows away, you are not a chicken!! :)

Aggie4Bar
Sep. 7, 2007, 09:45 AM
Re: Lord of the Rings...

Many of the "riding" shots weren't riding at all. LOTR: Riding the Barrel (http://youtube.com/watch?v=XCetUYA_1YQ)

EasterEgg
Sep. 7, 2007, 10:01 AM
I don't think fair Orlando is a PC graduate. If you watch the behind the scenes footage of the LOTR series they show him learning to ride, and he was definitely up/down material. He also comments about how much he struggled with the riding at the beginning, and needed 6 weeks of training prior to shooting. But that once shooting his scenes in Rohan with Perry, his horse, it all clicked and now he loves them.

So although he is now a great rider, it was not from previous training. In fact, the only one on the show who really rode and knew anything was Viggo. Everyone else, including Faramir, Theoden, Eowyn, and Eomer learned at the time. And considering they were supposed to represent a Horse People, I think they did pretty well.

Although every time I watched Theoden ride, I was like, PUT those elbows away, you are not a chicken!! :)

I have to admit that I'd never heard of the 'Orlando in PC' thing either, so I had a little hunt around and found this snippet:

For the extensive horseback sequences in The Two Towers, Bloom drew on his childhood experiences as a drifter on the not-so-high plains of Kent. "I've always loved riding and I used to hack around Canterbury as a kid. It wasn't really pony club - we'd just go out on horses. So I picked it up again in New Zealand and added a bit more of the style and the posture and the correct riding position. I learned to ride on around 30 different horses, and what you get from that is an understanding that each individual animal has to be treated with sensitivity so you have a mutual respect thing going."
There was at least one beast, though, which didn't appear to know the meaning of the word respect and during filming left Bloom on the deck with a broken rib.

from this website: http://www.theorlandobloomfiles.com/articles/arena03jan.html

sk_pacer
Sep. 7, 2007, 10:07 AM
George Foreman also has Standardbreds and was one of the presenters at the Hambo this year.

Michael Landon had Standardbreds and I believe some of his remaining family still does.

Jay Silverheels (Tonto) was a licenced driver-trainer, raced in both Ontario and California. Had a horse named after him: Hi Ho Silberheels.

Ian Tyson - cutting horses all over the place, used to anyway, probably cut down now that he is getting older.

BuddyRoo
Sep. 7, 2007, 10:09 AM
Kevin Costner....he ended up with the horse he rode in Dances with Wolves. Not sure if he has more or not.

JCS
Sep. 7, 2007, 10:11 AM
Toby Keith owns and breeds TB racehorses.

A lot of the country-western singers are into cutting.

Charlie Daniels, Kix Brooks, Lynn Anderson, George Jones, all have horses. Kix Brooks bought the stallion Prieto that was featured in the Brooks & Dunn "My Maria" video.

katarine
Sep. 7, 2007, 10:16 AM
George Foreman has racking horses, too.

http://www.walkerswalkon.homestead.com/TrailRiding.html

hjer
Sep. 7, 2007, 10:23 AM
Kate Bosworth (Actress. Was in Superman Returns, Blue Crush, lots of other stuff. Used to date Orlando Bloom and I think I read somewhere or saw pictures of them riding together.) She has talked about her riding in various interviews. The impression I got was that she was quite the rider as a junior and showed extensively in Hunters, I think.

Shannen Doherty (I would so pay to see Brenda Walsh ride! I think she does Hunter/Jumper stuff as well, but I could be totally off.)

wookiee
Sep. 7, 2007, 10:26 AM
Thanks, EasterEgg, for sleuthing that down!

Regardless, there's some cool riding in that movie (excellent stunt riders) and the actors worked hard for it!

Thanks!

zagafi
Sep. 7, 2007, 10:29 AM
Tami Hoag, who is a pretty prolific author, rides Grand Prix dressage.

pattnic
Sep. 7, 2007, 10:29 AM
I had a day off of work a few weeks ago and was watching Martha Stewart's show. I started laughing histerically when she called out her groom for being sick over the weekend. it was something along the lines of "I had so much time this weekend to come up with this wonderful thing, because I could not go riding because my groom was not there! Thanks so much!"

Do you really want to see what any horse, especially a Friesian, would look like after Martha Stewart groomed it?!?! :lol:

Lori B
Sep. 7, 2007, 10:35 AM
She might put furniture polish on them. Hee hee hee.

rescuemom
Sep. 7, 2007, 10:36 AM
Glenn Close
Robert DeNiro
Bruce Springsteen

DairyQueen2049
Sep. 7, 2007, 10:44 AM
Several of the NASCAR drivers have horses, but I can't remember the details. I think Dale (#3) Earnhart had Quarter Horses. Ryan Newman's name pops into memory also.

Google hasn't been any help on this, but FWIW did turn up that Tony Stewart has a pet monkey.

Tony Stewart IS a pet monkey - you musta read that wrong.

The Petty's have QHs that the daughter shows. I don't recall Dale and horses at all.

RYAN NEWMAN?? He's an engineer AND he has horses? drool drool :eek:

EasterEgg
Sep. 7, 2007, 10:46 AM
Thanks, EasterEgg, for sleuthing that down!

Regardless, there's some cool riding in that movie (excellent stunt riders) and the actors worked hard for it!

Thanks!

No problem :cool:

rescuemom
Sep. 7, 2007, 10:49 AM
BTW, Princess Anne and the Duke of Edinburgh aren't merely horse peeps, but Olympic competitors, eventing and driving respectively.

2Horse
Sep. 7, 2007, 11:00 AM
Tony Stewart IS a pet monkey - you musta read that wrong.

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had wrote the exact same thing. But decided to delete it! :lol: He also likes to sling poo, and then blame it on some one else!:yes:

witherbee
Sep. 7, 2007, 11:16 AM
Elizabeth Rohm from Law and Order rides.
Portia De Rossi (Ellen Degenerus's GF) rides hunters.
Joe Montana had the RID stallion "King of Hearts" as well as his cutting horses (not sur if he still has him)
Reba McIntire (sp) the country singer/TV star owns & breeds racehorses. Not sure if she also has QHs (had a place here in Ocala)

Catalina
Sep. 7, 2007, 11:23 AM
Patrick Swayze has Arabs. I saw him at a National Arab show in NM years ago do upper level dressage on one of his Arabs- it was quite impressive :).

Brooke Shields showed on the A circuit.

lizathenag
Sep. 7, 2007, 11:26 AM
The blonde, I think his name is Carlton.

anyway, he rode saddle horses as a youth.

I saw him on some talk show talking about their "my little pony" tails.

of course he was!

they showed a clip of him as a teenager. he sat quite nicely!

lizathenag
Sep. 7, 2007, 11:27 AM
Let's not forget Jackie Kennedy

oh and Rita Mae Brown. and Jane Smiley.

they are my celebrities!

LexInVA
Sep. 7, 2007, 11:29 AM
I'll add some more names as well as some younger ones to the list here.

Val Kilmer (Batman/Iceman rides out of the LAEC)
Kristanna Loken (Female Terminator from T3 rode out of LAEC but probably not anymore)
Nikki Reed (Indie film queen is not even 18 and already a power player in that part of Hollywood)
A few people in the adult industry are equestrians but I'm not gonna put their names here since most of you probably wouldn't know them anyway. ;)
Dolly Parton (she does have horses though to my knowledge she does not ride them)
Whoopi Goldberg (has horses and minis)
Hillary Duff (apparently she has a horse somewhere...maybe her garage?)
Richard Gere (Appaloosas)
Chevy Chase (Has horses for his family)
Dennis Quaid (Has a ranch and grew up in Texas so it's not really surprising)
Gisele Bundchen (Brazilian supermodel has a horse)
Kelsey Grammer (Has horses at his Malibu home)

Dirty Little Secret
Sep. 7, 2007, 11:36 AM
Andie McDowell and her daughter both own quarter horses which have won at the Worlds. They board at our barn!

rescuemom
Sep. 7, 2007, 11:36 AM
Tanya Tucker has cutting horses

PaulaK
Sep. 7, 2007, 11:55 AM
George Strait (country music) is a born/bred rancher. He and his family are actively involved in Team Roping and sponsors (or hosts?) a roping event that marked its 25th year in March.

riverbell93
Sep. 7, 2007, 01:21 PM
Tommy Lee Jones is a polo player
http://www.pololine.com.ar/eng/interviews/intertljones.php

Jameson Parker (from Simon & Simon) has a ranch, and wrote a book about his early days there "An Accidental Cowboy."

General Patton was a foxhunter.

gr8fulrider
Sep. 7, 2007, 01:25 PM
The opera singer Pavarotti, who just died, loved to ride. He was a very large man and went to great effort to get big, sturdy, horses who could carry him comfortably. (Had an 17-h Irish hunter, I heard). He would sing to them. Lucky horses.

--s.

See the other thread on LP's 17-h hunter. He was actually an American Thoroughbred, but was often mistaken for Irish because of his bone and size. I owned him for the last seven years of his life. Magnificent animal for an incomparable man.

Also, too: Former MA governor and current presidential contender Mitt Romney's wife is an FEI dressage rider. I think that she has MS and started riding as physical therapy.

anabug
Sep. 7, 2007, 01:42 PM
Gisele Bundchen does hunters with her warmblood, somewhere. And Katie Price jumps as well as dressage, though with her boobage I couldn't imagine riding at all (I've got plenty myself but nowhere near what she's got).

When I did saddleseat in high school I competed against Terry Ventura a couple of times. The Venturas lived near me growing up and I went to elementary/middle/high school with their son Tyrel.

Trrr-ot
Sep. 7, 2007, 01:49 PM
I believe Russell Crowe has horses and rides a fair bit. He certainly rides in many of his movies. (and y'know even if he didn't....Yummmy!);)

Coreene
Sep. 7, 2007, 01:51 PM
Jesse James (the one married to Sandra Bullock) had one at our place. Sadly it passed from a terrible colic.

Brad Pitt does reining. Under a secret Nom de Rein. Although perhaps Angelina doesn't let him do it now.

Edited to say that Portia di Rossi rides with Archie. Teddi Jo Mellencamp is one of his assistant trainers.

ybiaw
Sep. 7, 2007, 02:18 PM
See the other thread on LP's 17-h hunter. He was actually an American Thoroughbred, but was often mistaken for Irish because of his bone and size. I owned him for the last seven years of his life. Magnificent animal for an incomparable man.

Also, too: Former MA governor and current presidential contender Mitt Romney's wife is an FEI dressage rider. I think that she has MS and started riding as physical therapy.

1 - how did you come about owning the horse after LP? That must have been pretty cool :)

2 - along those lines - NYC Mayor Blumberg's daughter rides and has a big estate in Wellington

gr8fulrider
Sep. 7, 2007, 02:33 PM
1 - how did you come about owning the horse after LP? That must have been pretty cool :)

2 - along those lines - NYC Mayor Blumberg's daughter rides and has a big estate in Wellington

1) My horse was an international man of mystery and huge chunks of his life remain unknown to me (such as where the heck he learned half passes and 4s) but he was donated to my high school for a tax deduction. I don't know if this was directly from Pavarotti or a subsequent owner. I fell in love with him at first sight-- even though he had an absess and was three-legged lame the first time I was scheduled to ride him-- and I chose to spend my lesson soaking the absess rather than riding. I asked to lease him before I ever got on him, and we never parted ways. I was not a brave or talented rider, but he never refused a single fence with me, and I never fell off of him in eight years. Eventually I brought him home. He was the only horse my mother would ever consent to ride, and my father made excuses to putter around the barn, just to be near him. He was so huge and gleaming white, with a unicorn tail and carousel horse posture, that cars would slow down to stare at him as they passed our house. A great elderly horsewoman who lived next door referred to him as "your fine horse Boo." We sang to him as well, and he always had a radio on by his stall, tuned to a classical station. Every therapy client assumed dignity and magnificence on his back. He gave them wings, and I believe that they gave him wings, too. As LP hit the high Cs.

2) I saw Bloomberg ride in a grand prix, I believe Washington Int'l 2003. She has a nice horse. Don't know how she scraped together the $$ to get it. ;)

DopyDgz
Sep. 7, 2007, 02:37 PM
The park police at Manassas Battlefield park had a donated horse that was once owned by Burt Reynolds. Really nice racing appy (no spots) named 'Breeze'.

CA ASB
Sep. 7, 2007, 02:43 PM

of course he was!

That would be Carson Kressley (who I mentioned earlier). He still has Saddlebreds. Rode at the World Championships in Louisville in August. While he is a wonderful rider, he did not have a good ride and did not make it to his stake class ...

For West Coast peeps, Carson and Shatner often make it to the ASB show held in conjunction with the LA County Fair (next week) and sometimes make trophy presentations.

I bought my pleasure cart from Carson ... his sister is big into ASBs as well and the cart was at her home in PA.

MyGiantPony
Sep. 7, 2007, 03:00 PM
Lauren Graham from The Gilmore Girls rode.

pwynnnorman
Sep. 7, 2007, 03:36 PM
No one has mentioned Joan Lunden yet?

equest
Sep. 7, 2007, 03:54 PM
Orlando Bloom rides well and was in Pony Club.

Pictures please! Orlando Bloom in breeches would make my day.

truly
Sep. 7, 2007, 08:55 PM
Stewart Copeland from the band The Police used to play polo

And The Mattingly (NY Yankees) family breeds and shows Saddlebreds

CA ASB
Sep. 7, 2007, 08:59 PM
Ted Turner's daughter has shown Saddlebreds as did Shoemaker's ex-wife and daughter.

There is a NASCAR driver (team owner?) whose name escapes me whose daughter also has ASBs. He's had like, oh 4 wives along the way ... so I think she's from wife #1. Edited to add - I remembered - it's Bill Elliott's daughter. Other ASB folks that have ties married into the Mayfield and Biffle families.

Elizabeth Cherbourg (Bancroft - Wall Street Journal) has Saddlebreds and is the one who took the Wells Fargo coach and Saddlebred team (with outriders) to the closing ceremonies of the Nagano Olympics.

The Wheelers (Budweiser) are big into Saddlebreds as is Misdee Wrigley who has also had Arabs and currently has Friesians.

The 5-gaited World Grand Championship was just won by a descendent of the Scripps-Howard publishing dynasty. Michele is not only an amateur, she trains her own horses (and she bred all the horses that were used in the Nagano closing ceremonies).

GrayTbred
Sep. 7, 2007, 09:13 PM
Morgan Freeman, who was described in an interview as "horse mad," rides at his farm in Mississippi.

If Hollywood ever makes a movie version of the great horse book, "Beautiful Jim Key" http://www.beautifuljimkey.com/, Freeman would be perfect for the lead.

TBROCKS
Sep. 7, 2007, 09:27 PM
Madonna is famous for falling off them! And being photographed on them looking like a 3rd rate hooker !

:lol:

Julia Roberts rode hunters.
Carson from Queer Eye for the Straight Guy was National Champion in gaited horses (I think Saddlebreds).

carp
Sep. 7, 2007, 09:30 PM
Actress Daryl Hannah reportedly had and perhaps still has a few horses, some of them rescues. She is apparently has a soft spot for animals in need.

Renae
Sep. 7, 2007, 09:41 PM
The Wheelers (Budweiser) are big into Saddlebreds as is Misdee Wrigley who has also had Arabs and currently has Friesians.

Misdee currently has Hackney Horses and Dutch Harness Horses, along with her Saddlebreds and Standardbred Road Horses, I do not believe she has Friesians anymore. Misdee's mother was the Arab breeder :) Here is her farm's webiste http://www.hillcroftfarm.net/about.php but it hasn't been updated to include her Dutch Harnss Horses, which she debuted at last year's Royal Winter Fair.

Glorybee
Sep. 7, 2007, 09:49 PM
I was just reminded that the guy from Foreigner ( can't remember his name) supposedly lived in my old barn - apartment in Katonah in the 80's ( possibly earlier)... no musical talent rubbed off on me. :confused: thought it might be in the air or the super huge fireplace that made the apartment freezing cold in the winter!

CA ASB
Sep. 8, 2007, 12:37 AM
Yes, but Misdee won an Arab National Championship riding sidesaddle ... Didn't know that the Friesians had left, but that makes sense as to why Jannie Giles now has her own place.

Back to Wrigleys - the guy who was their PR/advertising exec and who bought the baseball league for women from Wrigley, Arthur Meyerhoff, used to have road horses and Saddlebreds out in Rancho Santa Fe. Had a wonderful road horse back in the late 60's called The Dizzy Blonde. It must've been one of the ASB/STB crosses because it had a flaxen mane & tail. Of course, those were the days when the barns in RSF that are now all H/J were ALL ASB. Silver Lining (the largest show barn west of the Mississippi) was there - and the celebrity connection is that it was owned by Jerome Kern's daughter, Betty (the composer of "Look for the Silver Lining). It now has TBs.

Dreamboat Annie
Sep. 8, 2007, 01:03 AM
Dean Martin had Andalusians, the first time I ever saw them, he had a clip of them on his Christmas show....:)

ridexc
Sep. 8, 2007, 03:28 AM
Glenn Close is, or was, a DQ .... rode with Lendon Gray if I'm not mistaken.

And it seems to me that I read an interview with Carson Kressley in which he talked about having grown up with hunters, not Saddlebreds. Did the A circuit as a teenager.

Canadian content: Both Bruce Cockburn and Alannah Myles have competed in the hunters (Bruce was married to his daughter's riding coach at one point, which is what got him started in it -- not sure if he still competes but I do spot him at the Royal Winter Fair most years, in spectator garb).

The late John Candy used to have a Belgian hitch, which I thought was gloriously appropriate. Met him once -- nicest, most unassuming man. We talked critters for a while. :yes:

I can't quite wrap my head around Oprah having TWHs. Surely not Big Lick ones?? Can't imagine her endorsing THAT.

Lambie Boat
Sep. 8, 2007, 06:32 AM
Francis Bean Cobaine rides well.

Barbara Bach (ringo's wife) is a dressage rider

Spoilsport
Sep. 8, 2007, 07:04 AM
When I lived in Charlottesville, Cissy Spacek, Jessica Lange and Sam Shepherd owned and rode horses. Ralph Simpson (former 6'5" basketball player) owned Arabians. Dave Matthews (of the band) lives in Charlottesville now and owns horses. Brian Westbrook (Philadelphia Eagles) also has horses.

Has anyone mentioned Paul Newman and his daughters? Bruce Sprinsteen?

Also Sun Yung Moon's (of the cult) children competed in the h/j's. And Calvin Klein's ex, Kelly. (Boy, does this "date" me :( :lol:)

CA ASB
Sep. 8, 2007, 12:31 PM
Carson grew up with Shetlands and Minis. Maybe he did hunters with the ponies?

http://www.outsports.com/history/20040928carsonkressley.htm

The World Cup team they refer to is the saddle seat team that competes with Canada, UK and teams from the South Africa area.

On "the" TWH thread a while back, there was discussion of getting Oprah to do a program on BL since she does NOT have BL horses. Don't know where that ended up.

pwynnnorman
Sep. 8, 2007, 12:57 PM
FYI, from: http://www.amazon.com/People-Know-Horses-They-Love/dp/1579548571

Book Description
A beautifully designed, full-color photo-essay celebrating the intimate bond between some noted equestrians and the horses they own, ride, train-and love!Leading man Richard Gere fell for a girl on horseback. For actress Alfre Woodard and her daughter Mavis, the connection with horses is spiritual. Chevy Chase says his Icelandics "get very hairy during the winter, but then so do I." And Robert Redford, recalling his month-long ride down the old Outlaw Trail that Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid rode, says: "What I marvel at is how wild and free this land still can seem from the back of a horse." In People We Know, Horses They Love, we meet nearly thirty celebrity horse lovers, from Whoopi Goldberg and Christie Brinkley to the original horse whisperer, Buck Brannaman and bestselling author Tami Hoag, who's also an amateur international champion dressage rider. Gorgeous, full-color, never-seen-before photographs capture the majesty and grace of the animals, the beauty of the ranches and stables where they reside and intimate moments shared with their owners. Whether highlighting Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward on their ranch for special needs children, exploring Hilary Duff's passion for wild mustangs, hanging with Jeff Bridges on the set of Seabiscuit, or illuminating the interior lives of Maria Shriver, Morgan Freeman, and many others, People We Know, Horses They Love pays tribute to the special relationship between human and horse. A portion of the proceeds will be donated to the Pegasus Therapeutic Riding Program.

TrueVictor
Sep. 8, 2007, 01:10 PM
I have seen Portia De Rossi ride. She is a nice rider and her horse looked lovely. It was rumored that Ellen DeGeneres was at the show as well.

Doesn't one or both of the Olsen twins have a horse?

lisacaryl
Sep. 8, 2007, 01:48 PM
This thread is too much fun!

DirtyLittleSecret, are you in NC?

And LexInVA, thanks for holding back those adult industry names. Lol!

Lisa

SaraTx
Sep. 8, 2007, 02:29 PM
recently ellen said she has requested that portia stop jumping.

FancyFree
Sep. 8, 2007, 04:02 PM
recently ellen said she has requested that portia stop jumping.

I was just going to post that. I think I'd have to say goodbye to Ellen.

Steven Spielberg's wife, Kate Capshaw, rides. IIRC she was going to build some huge equestrian complex, but it got shot down by the neighbors.

Pony Fixer
Sep. 8, 2007, 09:52 PM
(I wonder if AAAHNALD rides?

You ask, I answer.

http://www.art-forum.org/z_Leibowitz/Ip/AL_arnie.htm

I LOVVEEE this photo, always have.

railijumper28
Sep. 8, 2007, 10:42 PM
Hilary Duff? come on...and I only read the first page.:lol: But my Uncle is actually neighbors with Mark McGrath...:)

Dannie0303
Sep. 8, 2007, 11:31 PM
MANY years ago (when i was about 4) I rode at the same barn as Teddy Jo Mellencamp. It was always a sight when her dad would come to shows with us.

truly
Sep. 9, 2007, 01:40 AM
kate capshaw keeps horses at her summer home in the Hamptons

Elvis used to have Saddlebreds and TWH

Kiljoywashere
Sep. 9, 2007, 11:17 AM
Stanley Kubrick's daughter, Stephanie? was quite a good rider out of a barn I was at. Janine Turner of Northern Exposure rode (if you want to call it that) Western Pleasure. and then there is Allison Firestone, and the owners of BET.

erinwillow
Sep. 9, 2007, 11:32 AM
Did anyone mention SAMMY HAGAR?? :winkgrin: He and his wife have owned CONNEMARAS!!! Um Sammy Hagar of the 80's rock group VAN HALEN--rock on dude

annikak
Sep. 9, 2007, 12:56 PM
there is one adult entertainer/industry person who is a BT Dressage Judge! And a good one at that, I am told!;)

Daryl Hannah did indeed have horses, and I bet still does- her Arab ran away with me in a BIG way! (No bridle, just halter- it was the way it was done....)

And Jennifer Beals also rides still I think- someone said she was happy to get her changes!

WhiteCamry
Sep. 10, 2007, 01:01 PM
Let's not forget Jackie Kennedy

Or Ethel.

Or Eleanor Roosevelt.

AnotherRound
Sep. 10, 2007, 01:21 PM
Tommy Lee Jones has a ranch in Texas, I had always thought, somewhere along the border with Mexico.

Robert Duvall rides, I think, english.

Irishrose261
Sep. 10, 2007, 01:49 PM
And Jennifer Beals also rides still I think- someone said she was happy to get her changes!

I just went Googling this because I lovelovelove Jennifer Beals. I DID find an article in which she says that one of her L-Word costara, Pam Grier, is an accomplished horsewoman.

http://www.horseconnection.com/site/archive/story-may06.html

KimberlyInTexas
Sep. 10, 2007, 06:00 PM
As was mentioned, Martha Stewart has her Friesians. I think it's safe to say that Conan O'Brien does not have horses. :winkgrin:

http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/9516/Conan_O_Brien_Visits_Martha_Stewart.html

jazzrider
Sep. 10, 2007, 06:09 PM
Has anyone said Davey Jones or Mickey Dolenz from the Monkees yet? They both ride. :yes:

mighty mite
Sep. 10, 2007, 07:11 PM
I heard on the radio today Whoopi Goldberg defending her Michael Vick comments..she said she has 13 horses.

I know the more obvious ones like Cheryl Crow, Bo Derek and Patrick Swayze, and the guitar player of Metallica has Freisians.

Who else?

Do you perhaps mean the guitar player of Aerosmith, Joe Perry? He and his wife have beautiful Freisians.

Mario Andretti's daughter, Barbie, has horses. She's been training them since she was about 10 years old.

audgesmom
Sep. 10, 2007, 07:58 PM
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME THAT BONO RIDES! Or atleast that his wife and kids do...........................he is my hero in so many ways and has been for SOOOO long....

LexInVA
Sep. 10, 2007, 08:31 PM
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME THAT BONO RIDES! Or atleast that his wife and kids do...........................he is my hero in so many ways and has been for SOOOO long....

Bono is a big supporter of horse racing. Not sure if he owns any horses pets or otherwise.

dressagetraks
Sep. 10, 2007, 08:36 PM
Seems like I remember hearing somewhere a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away that Lorne Greene (Ben Cartwright) rode, not just on the set. It was one of the Bonanza bunch, anyway.

Must admit, I never was watching the guys or how they rode. As a kid, I had a crush on Little Joe's horse.

Tiempo
Sep. 10, 2007, 08:57 PM
Do you perhaps mean the guitar player of Aerosmith, Joe Perry? He and his wife have beautiful Freisians.

Mario Andretti's daughter, Barbie, has horses. She's been training them since she was about 10 years old.

Nope, I definately meant the guy from Metallica...he can be seen riding them in the movie documentary they made a couple of years ago.

Pandarus33
Sep. 10, 2007, 09:02 PM
NASCAR horse-owners

Dale Earnhart- QH

Lake Speed- Daughter rides around Charlotte

Mike Wallace- Both daughters rode years ago- I taught them for a few months at their first barn. I think they still own horses at their own barn now.

Kyle Petty- Montgomery Lee was really big into QH.

Ernie Irvan- owned Paso Finos for a time.

appybeads
Sep. 10, 2007, 09:04 PM
I know that Ernie Irvan (retired NASCAR driver) they have Paso Finos, Todd Bodine (NASCAR) has QH's, Taylor Earnhart (Jr.s sister) she does barrel racing. They also have a clydsdale that was given to them from the "Bud" people. Jeff Hammond (announcer/retiered crew chief) has QH's and does rodeo and cutting.

The guy from the group Foreigner (Lou "Gramattico" Graham) he goes to my brothers church, I heard that they had horses.

theoldgreymare
Sep. 10, 2007, 09:44 PM
Former Irish Tenor, Ronan Tynan, rides (and jumps!) despite having both legs amputated at/below the knee at 20. He is also a medical doctor, in addition to being a world renowned tenor. I believe he also owns show jumpers and race horses in his native Ireland. Very inspirational man!

boosma47
Sep. 10, 2007, 10:19 PM
Ex- Mass. governor and presidential candidate Mitt Romney's wife, Ann, rides dressage.

Tiempo
Sep. 10, 2007, 10:32 PM
Former Irish Tenor, Ronan Tynan, rides (and jumps!) despite having both legs amputated at/below the knee at 20. He is also a medical doctor, in addition to being a world renowned tenor. I believe he also owns show jumpers and race horses in his native Ireland. Very inspirational man!

Interesting!

there is a doctor who works at the University of Michigan student health services (or did a few years ago) who's daughter was born with no legs..from the hips down.

She has been quite successful riding arabians.

MaybeMorgan
Sep. 10, 2007, 11:39 PM
Captain Picard?

LexInVA
Sep. 11, 2007, 12:10 AM
Captain Picard?

I don't believe he is an avid equestrian as he had to learn to ride seriously (instead of just sitting on a horse) for Star Trek: Generations but I know there have been shots of him on horses in other movies though as far as I can remember, they have all been shots of him mounting, dismounting, or sitting in the saddle.

Little Indian
Sep. 11, 2007, 12:48 AM
Has anyone said Davey Jones or Mickey Dolenz from the Monkees yet? They both ride. :yes:

Mickey rides from time to time telling the trainers that he is looking for a horse to buy...Mickey has been looking to buy a horse for probably 4 years ;) ;) He lives next door to my barn and down the street from my house. He has yet to actually buy one though.

As somebody said, Alyssa Milano owns horses (She has a beautiful "herd" of Paso Finos, including an incredibly fancy stallion). In all of the years I've lived across from her, I have only seen her ride once. Her father does most of the riding, but they do live at Alyssa's house.

Holly Marie Combs (of Charmed fame) has 2 quarter horses (Jesse & Jake), a solid colored appy (Jezbelle), and the funniest little mini rescue you have ever seen (Clint Black) who likes to snort/squeal like a pig when he gets excited.

mayhew
Sep. 11, 2007, 09:04 AM

So I suppose it would be okay if someone hung them and drowned them, so long as that person was from the South. :mad:

mayhew
Sep. 11, 2007, 09:04 AM
Katie Price (aka Jordan) - Dressage rider

I am trying very hard to picture Jordan riding dressage. :eek:

mayhew
Sep. 11, 2007, 09:08 AM
RYAN NEWMAN?? He's an engineer AND he has horses? drool drool :eek:

Are engineers very sexy?

asb2517
Sep. 11, 2007, 09:25 AM
As a kid, I had a crush on Little Joe's horse.

ME TOO!!! I used to play Bonanza all the time...yeah I know...what a GEEK! :lol:

War Admiral
Sep. 11, 2007, 09:28 AM
I am trying very hard to picture Jordan riding dressage. :eek:

Same!!! :eek:

Aggie4Bar
Sep. 11, 2007, 09:53 AM
Are engineers very sexy?Eh.... depends.

One of the younger guys where I work suggested the company be renamed "Hot Chicks and Old Farts." :D The guys are... well... there are some uber sexy male engineers, but they are much fewer and farther in between than us feminine engineering hotties. :winkgrin: That holds true for every engineering company I've either worked for or worked with.

As an aside, I don't know any female engineers who are married to or involved with non-engineers. But I'm not sure that says as much for male engineers as it does for seeking like-mindedness.

Returning to your regularly scheduled program...

Noah Wyle of ER fame rode as a kid and into his teens though I don't know if he rides now.
Christian Bale is rumoured to ride, though I've read elsewhere that he doesn't get along well with horses. So, not sure on that one.

abbydp
Sep. 11, 2007, 11:19 AM
Ok this will make everyone happy - the proud owner of like 12 paso finos.......

Michael Vick

My farrier was asked to do their feet.

Rita Mae Brown foxhunts, plays polo, has an amazing farm and Oak Ridge Hunt Club outside Charlottesville. I owned one of her horses - they all get literary names.

Dave Matthews has horses. He rescued 2 clydesdales and named them Bud and Weiser!

asb2517
Sep. 11, 2007, 12:19 PM
Ok this will make everyone happy - the proud owner of like 12 paso finos.......

Michael Vick

My farrier was asked to do their feet.

Wonder if he puts his stallions together and bets on the outcome?? :no:

mighty mite
Sep. 11, 2007, 12:28 PM
Seems like I remember hearing somewhere a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away that Lorne Greene (Ben Cartwright) rode, not just on the set. It was one of the Bonanza bunch, anyway.

Must admit, I never was watching the guys or how they rode. As a kid, I had a crush on Little Joe's horse.

Years and years ago (I'm really giving away my age here) I saw Lorne Greene in a parade. Might have been the Tournament of Rose Parade, can't remember, but I saw him live.

Also the actress Sue Ann Langdon rides. I also saw her live in some parade, possibly also the Rose Parade.

Aggie4Bar
Sep. 11, 2007, 12:42 PM
Re: Parades... Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo.... Senator Kay Bailey Hutchinson is a rider. (Former barrel racer, if I'm not mistaken.) Though many politicos can be seen riding in with the trailriders, she's one of only a small handful who look completely at home and relaxed in the saddle. It's funny how you can tell who rides and who's merely enduring the discomfort for the publicity. :lol:

Renae
Sep. 11, 2007, 02:05 PM
You ask, I answer.

http://www.art-forum.org/z_Leibowitz/Ip/AL_arnie.htm

I LOVVEEE this photo, always have.

I have a copy of that phot hanging in my living room because I think its great, very masculine, very Hemingway. Anyways I think that that is Arnold's Andalusian in the photo, soemone told me he had Andalusians at some point.

annikak
Sep. 11, 2007, 03:27 PM
Interesting!

there is a doctor who works at the University of Michigan student health services (or did a few years ago) who's daughter was born with no legs..from the hips down.

She has been quite successful riding arabians.

She is one tough cookie- she MAKES it happen. Don't know her, but have seen her around. Seems like a great kid.

Sandy M
Sep. 11, 2007, 03:42 PM

I think she only drives. Perhaps she does not know how to harness and hitch up??

LD1129
Sep. 11, 2007, 03:49 PM

of course he was!

He still shows!! I just saw him at Devon this year before the Grand Prix! He rides Saddlebreds and Fresians!

Sandy M
Sep. 11, 2007, 03:56 PM
I do believe I remember an article in Sports Illustrated about Kareem Abdul Jabar and he was a rider - western on TALL (!) TBs. 17 hands +

Terrie
Sep. 11, 2007, 04:04 PM
Christian Bale is rumoured to ride, though I've read elsewhere that he doesn't get along well with horses. So, not sure on that one.

Not sure if he owns his own horses, but he was suppose to come up to my trainer's farm to ride. My trainer is the stunt double for quite a few movies and invites the stars out.

Little Indian - how cool that you live(d) by Alyssa Milano and Holly Marie Combs! I'm a big "Charmed" fan and have loved Alyssa Milano since "My Two Dads".

Aggie4Bar
Sep. 11, 2007, 04:04 PM
He still shows!! I just saw him at Devon this year before the Grand Prix! He rides Saddlebreds and Fresians!Maybe that's his new gig? :winkgrin: It was either last year or the year before during Pin Oak, he carried the flag before the start of a Grand Prix down here. I wondered if they just threw him up on the horse because one stirrup was quite noticeably a couple inches longer than the other.

Aggie4Bar
Sep. 11, 2007, 04:08 PM
Not sure if he owns his own horses, but he was suppose to come up to my trainer's farm to ride. My trainer is the stunt double for quite a few movies and invites the stars out.Reeeaallly.... Any chance your trainer needs a helping hand? :D :D :D

A4B <-- mad crush on Christian Bale. (Can't stomach the whole AR/vegetarian thing, but damn, that man is finer than frog hair!)

Beverley
Sep. 11, 2007, 04:41 PM

Ooh. That was a NASTY horse. Bit a kid's finger off at the Houston Livestock show way back when (that is, when it was still in the old Sam Houston Coliseum). (Mind you, life was simpler/less litigious then, the kid ignored the PROMINENT warning signs not to approach the stall or put hands anywhere near!).

CA ASB
Sep. 11, 2007, 05:20 PM
Maybe that's his new gig? :winkgrin: It was either last year or the year before during Pin Oak, he carried the flag before the start of a Grand Prix down here. I wondered if they just threw him up on the horse because one stirrup was quite noticeably a couple inches longer than the other.

Carson has had Saddlebreds for years.

He actually used to work for the AHSA before it became USEF and before he worked for Ralph Lauren (and long before Queer Eye!).

Aggie4Bar
Sep. 11, 2007, 06:31 PM
By new gig, I meant attending Grand Prixs.