PDA

View Full Version : Burghley, anyone?

Shrapnel
Aug. 29, 2007, 10:13 PM
Well...the Land Rover Burghley CCI**** has begun in England. Jogs were today and all 73 horses passed!

8 U.S. riders are entered! So, let's get this thread going!

www.burghley-horse.co.uk

RunForIt
Aug. 29, 2007, 10:22 PM
Can't wait - now added to my "Favorites"! Thanks! :cool:
Go US Eventers!!!! (too bad it isn't a true 3-day, but, get around Burghley XC and you're in my "walk on water" book!) :D

IQ3day14
Aug. 29, 2007, 10:22 PM
I want Sara M or Zara to win!

pwynnnorman
Aug. 30, 2007, 07:52 AM
Is Andrew Nicholson is riding four--or will he declare two? I thought you were only allowed two...but then, I see Oliver Townend has three.

How do they determine the order of go? Dressage looks roughly in order, but there are so many multiple entries with back-to-back numbers. Is there an order of go posted somewhere so it'll be possible to know when our riders go x-c? I tried "dressage times," but there are not times listed there yet.

Meanwhile, for little horse fans, besides 15.2 hand El Primero (Go Sara!), Patris Filiius is a 15.1 hand skebald (gelding), Just a Night Mare is 15.2 and Little Tiger 15.0, both mares (Go Girls!). Remember how Little Tiger ate up the course last year until she had that striding issue that caused her to catch her knee on the little bank coming out of the water?

Actually, I don't know who to root for more: 18-year-old Antigua (Did you know his dam's name is "The Great Mistake"? I wish the Index of Entries listed the breed, too. Is Task Force a TB?), made-in-the-USA El Primero, the "tough luck girls" Jan and Jane--so many ups and downs, I really can't help but what to see them up there!--or Sir Bruce.

gully's pilot
Aug. 30, 2007, 09:26 AM
Go Sara! Go Jan!

Regal Grace
Aug. 30, 2007, 10:29 AM
As the day progresses the Burghley website usually posts audio interviews with the riders. Two are already up for William Fox-Pitt and Lucy Wigersma and few more prior to the the start of dressage phase.

http://www.burghley-horse.co.uk/Media/AudioInt.htm

tx3dayeventer
Aug. 30, 2007, 10:52 AM
Is Andrew Nicholson is riding four--or will he declare two? I thought you were only allowed two...but then, I see Oliver Townend has three.

How do they determine the order of go? Dressage looks roughly in order, but there are so many multiple entries with back-to-back numbers. Is there an order of go posted somewhere so it'll be possible to know when our riders go x-c? I tried "dressage times," but there are not times listed there yet.

Meanwhile, for little horse fans, besides 15.2 hand El Primero (Go Sara!), Patris Filiius is a 15.1 hand skebald (gelding), Just a Night Mare is 15.2 and Little Tiger 15.0, both mares (Go Girls!). Remember how Little Tiger ate up the course last year until she had that striding issue that caused her to catch her knee on the little bank coming out of the water?

Actually, I don't know who to root for more: 18-year-old Antigua (Did you know his dam's name is "The Great Mistake"? I wish the Index of Entries listed the breed, too. Is Task Force a TB?), made-in-the-USA El Primero, the "tough luck girls" Jan and Jane--so many ups and downs, I really can't help but what to see them up there!--or Sir Bruce.

The dressage times are posted on the results page. There is a scroll box in the top right corner that lets you select what you want to view. Bruce, Sara, Zara & Jane ride Friday, all the other US riders ride today. Will is the 4th to last rider to ride today.

Zephyr
Aug. 30, 2007, 10:55 AM
Do they have any video of the rides?

NRB
Aug. 30, 2007, 12:31 PM
Wow, the Irish judge at M gave Andrew Nicholson and Lord Killinghurst a 200. He's currently in 1st palce.

rebeginner
Aug. 30, 2007, 12:59 PM
Ouch! Did anyone see the ride? What happened?

JER
Aug. 30, 2007, 02:17 PM
Dan Jocelyn clearly had an interesting ride: photo (http://www.burghley-horse.co.uk/Live/gallery/gallery14.htm).

tx3dayeventer
Aug. 30, 2007, 02:34 PM
Dan Jocelyn clearly had an interesting ride: photo (http://www.burghley-horse.co.uk/Live/gallery/gallery14.htm).

HAHA thats what happens when you horse is **** fit! Atleast my mare did that. She preferred 2 hind legs to all four when she was that fit :)

GreystoneKC
Aug. 30, 2007, 02:48 PM
I walked into the barn yesterday and was like, "Where's Blackie?"... then I realized it was time for Burghley! So obviously I am rooting for Kristen Bond and Blackout! We were all so excited she was invited! I was checking out the course online this morning. It's so neat how you can see each jump online. I'm thinking about ordering the online coverage on Saturday. Is anyone else doing it?

wookiee
Aug. 30, 2007, 04:42 PM
Yep I signed up for the online coverage. The test coverage looked incredible! I can't wait!

Where'sMyWhite
Aug. 30, 2007, 04:47 PM

And from his score that might not have been the only "moment" in the test :D
(an 86.8).

pwynnnorman
Aug. 30, 2007, 06:07 PM
There's a photo just like that somewhere else--could have been Burghley last year. Another BNR, in fact. Can't quite remember who, but you'd think in comparing this one with that that "rear in place" is a required move--the shots are that similar.

Why do you suppose Antigua scored poorly? Isn't he usually very good?

TeddyRocks
Aug. 30, 2007, 06:23 PM
And from his score that might not have been the only "moment" in the test :D
(an 86.8).

What a photo! What a score... Can someone tell me where to find the riders list for tomorrow's dressage?

THANKS!

And I have to add... I WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN ABLE TO STAY ON... So more power to him!!!

Janeway
Aug. 30, 2007, 06:54 PM
TeddyRocks - everything you could ever want to know about Burghley is on their website, including rider times etc.

www.burghley-horse.co.uk (http://www.burghley-horse.co.uk)

although you can also go to www.bdwp.co.uk (http://www.bdwp.co.uk) which has results and times too (actually I think the main site directs you here...)

AppJumpr08
Aug. 30, 2007, 07:03 PM
I'm hoping that Bruce and Jam get the perfect weekend they deserve :) (and of course I'm rooting for all the other US riders as well :))

CookiePony
Aug. 30, 2007, 08:22 PM
There's a photo just like that somewhere else--could have been Burghley last year. Another BNR, in fact. Can't quite remember who, but you'd think in comparing this one with that that "rear in place" is a required move--the shots are that similar.

I can think of two other rearing dressage photos-- Peter Green and Magical at Rolex 2006, and more recently Nate Chambers and Rolling Stone II at Young Riders. :eek:

pwynnnorman
Aug. 30, 2007, 08:30 PM
Does anyone know what time (US east coast time, that is) they'll start x-c tomorrow?

OK, I found it, I think (world time converter): 6 a.m., right?

pinkdiamondracing
Aug. 30, 2007, 10:37 PM
****dancing and singing**** Go Sara, Go Tony,!!!!!:D:yes::yes::yes:

wookiee
Aug. 30, 2007, 10:52 PM
Does anyone know what time (US east coast time, that is) they'll start x-c tomorrow?

OK, I found it, I think (world time converter): 6 a.m., right?

I think XCountry starts Sat, there's another day of Dressage tomorrow. I know, I can't wait either. 4 am for me to watch, but I just might do it.

Painted Wings
Aug. 31, 2007, 09:51 AM
Is it Bruce or Buck riding Jam? I know Jam is Bruce's horse but the rider profile shows that it is Buck. I'm wondering if they just made a mistake.

BigRuss1996
Aug. 31, 2007, 10:43 AM
It would definately be a mistake .....though I just went to the Burghley site and I don't see where it says Buck is riding??? ....Bruce is riding her. Buck is over there though....

Is it Bruce or Buck riding Jam? I know Jam is Bruce's horse but the rider profile shows that it is Buck. I'm wondering if they just made a mistake.

tx3dayeventer
Aug. 31, 2007, 11:19 AM
Does anyone know what happened in Jane Sleepers test? It was scored higher than the guy that reared?!?!?!

Painted Wings
Aug. 31, 2007, 12:00 PM
If you click on Competitor profiles, then click on Jam. Then click on FEI rider biography.

It says "Bruce Davidson Jr" Born in 1976 under date of birth. But then the Historical results look like Bruce because it has Burghley 1974 on Irish Cap.

Would be hard for a rider to compete before they were born. Looks to me like a screw up on the FEI site profile. The personal information looks like senior's.

snoopy
Aug. 31, 2007, 12:07 PM
Does anyone know what happened in Jane Sleepers test? It was scored higher than the guy that reared?!?!?!

If I remember correctly, she did a TV interview at rolex where she said this mare is just very difficult in the dressage phase of a big event. She seemed to be "on the boil" at rolex when I saw her test.

NeverTime
Aug. 31, 2007, 12:38 PM
What a bummer for Jane!

pwynnnorman
Aug. 31, 2007, 04:40 PM
Does anyone have any news? We didn't do too well in dressage--was that expected (comparatively)?

BigRuss1996
Aug. 31, 2007, 06:07 PM
LOL....ha ha ha ....Painted wings you are right! and actually it looks as though they have mixed the two together. I will have to tell him when he gets home and call them and get it fixed for future events. Actually alot of the info is no longer current. Oh well.....it keeps people guessing.

If you click on Competitor profiles, then click on Jam. Then click on FEI rider biography.

It says "Bruce Davidson Jr" Born in 1976 under date of birth. But then the Historical results look like Bruce because it has Burghley 1974 on Irish Cap.

Would be hard for a rider to compete before they were born. Looks to me like a screw up on the FEI site profile. The personal information looks like senior's.

pinkdiamondracing
Aug. 31, 2007, 09:02 PM
Got a text from Mom-- Sara's test went well she said(well for Tony since dressage is not his strong suit) and they go XC at 2:48 tomorrow :winkgrin:

takeone4theteam
Aug. 31, 2007, 09:52 PM
I am giving a shout out for my friend Dornin!!! She and Jem have been working so hard to get to a 4-star!! Keeping my fingers crossed that they have a successful crosscountry round.

GreystoneKC
Sep. 1, 2007, 12:29 AM
What time does the broadcast start on the website tomorrow for XC? Anyone know?

TexasTB
Sep. 1, 2007, 12:34 AM
What time does the broadcast start on the website tomorrow for XC? Anyone know?

The introduction and Dressage highlights start at 5:00 AM EASTERN STANDARD TIME

The live cross country starts at 6:00 AM EST

http://www.burghley.tv/timings.aspx

GreystoneKC
Sep. 1, 2007, 12:39 AM
Grrr.... don't think I want to get up that early on a non-showing weekend to watch. I wonder if I can find out exactly what time Kristen Bond and Blackout go...?

Equa
Sep. 1, 2007, 12:48 AM
It was great to go to Rolex and so to know who some of the US horses and riders are...it gives a much more interesting picture. Aren't Sara and Tony phenomenal? And UN is a jumping machine, so superb, which is very hard to predict from her dressage. And Jan B was so sweet to my daughter over there, and her groom is cool.
As far as the Aussies go, it would be great to see Sammi and Enchanted do well...and everyone else of course, considering the big screw-up to our local based riders' Olympic qualification plans due to the EI outbreak.

TexasTB
Sep. 1, 2007, 12:48 AM
Grrr.... don't think I want to get up that early on a non-showing weekend to watch. I wonder if I can find out exactly what time Kristen Bond and Blackout go...?

looks like they're at 12:12 england time.. meaning 7:12 EST (i THINK).

I must be crazy getting up at 4 AM to watch this.. my first day of work is tomorrow morning:eek:
anyone else going to be up bright and early to tune in?

GreystoneKC
Sep. 1, 2007, 01:00 AM
Hahaha! Go you Texas!!! You should just stay up all night! Considering it's midnight here, I really don't see me getting up at 4! But I might try to get up by the time Kristen goes. I'd really like to see them. Thanks for the info BTW!

pwynnnorman
Sep. 1, 2007, 08:11 AM
Kristin just went clear, but with time faults. Awesome, fabulous jumper, but STROOONG horsie!

Ollie Townend got, IMO, a deserved fall (of rider): his horse was super tired. I felt he should have pulled up. You just knew something was going to happen-and I'm glad it happened to the rider, not the poor horse.

Jan had to withdraw due to an injury before x-c, alas. (I forgot the details.)

goodymar1188
Sep. 1, 2007, 08:23 AM
Geeze... out of 15 who have gone (not including Jan Thompson), 1 has been eliminated and 5 have retired. Those don't seem like good statistics to me. Is this common at Burghley??

pwynnnorman
Sep. 1, 2007, 08:26 AM
Oh, the other Kristin has a fall at one of the problem jumps, the mushroom coming out of the woods (where Ollie Townend also fell). Looks like that's the jump that catches them when they are tired. Kristin's horse trotted a bit on the approach and then left a leg behind, alas. No harm done to either, though.

Andrew Nicholson gets the double clear and goes firmly into the lead! I must say, though, that Lord Killinghurst is one of the least impressive looking super-star horses I've watched go. He looks kinda stiff and his stride isn't huge-looking--and as the commentators were saying, he barely clears his jumps (always has been his style, apparently). Just goes to show how many different types can succeed in the sport.

goodymar1188
Sep. 1, 2007, 08:29 AM
Looks like the other Kristen (Kristen Bond) retired. :( Geeze... that course must be hard, it's not going too well for the riders out there...

pwynnnorman
Sep. 1, 2007, 08:35 AM
Seeing a lot horses break into the trot on approaches toward the end of the course. It was noted (by DO'C) that the toughest jumps are all crammed in the first half. Maybe that is taking a lot out of horses, unexpectedly? That and the undulating ground, as usual, I suppose.

pwynnnorman
Sep. 1, 2007, 08:35 AM
Seeing a lot horses break into the trot on approaches toward the end of the course. It was noted (by DO'C) that the toughest jumps are all crammed in the first half. Maybe that is taking a lot out of horses, unexpectedly? That and the undulating ground, as usual, I suppose.

annikak
Sep. 1, 2007, 08:57 AM
This is a cool feature- I've never seen that before!

http://www.bdwp.co.uk/bur/07/

Does look like its taking its toll....

pwynnnorman
Sep. 1, 2007, 09:18 AM
Oh, bummer. I tried to time feeding my guys between US riders, but came back just as DO'C said "Best ride of the day, so far," of Will Faudree. What'd I miss?

goodymar1188
Sep. 1, 2007, 09:19 AM
YAY Will!! Double clean XC run!! :) Currently in 7th place.

NRB
Sep. 1, 2007, 09:23 AM
Oh, bummer. I tried to time feeding my guys between US riders, but came back just as DO'C said "Best ride of the day, so far," of Will Faudree. What'd I miss?

just a nice smooth clean ride, not a bobble. That's why it was the nicest rounds of the day, under the time.

pwynnnorman
Sep. 1, 2007, 09:27 AM
Y'know, as the commentators keep saying, it is just amazing what horses can do and are willing to do. Some of the combinations are requiring quite a bit of scrambling when things don't go quite right--like the brush-ditch-rolltop one. Awesome to see the three-foot strides they get in, the "I'm going!" attitudes. This is what I'd like the general public in this country to see: to me, this is the sport--the exhibition of the horse in all of its power, agility, generousity and drive. Tell me of any other sport that illustrates this? Oh, how ignorant of a horse's potential is the person who has never seen this. (Comment not about Will's round, but some of the others who had hiccups saved by the awesome Horse.)

NRB
Sep. 1, 2007, 09:41 AM
Y'know, as the commentators keep saying, it is just amazing what horses can do and are willing to do. Some of the combinations are requiring quite a bit of scrambling when things don't go quite right--like the brush-ditch-rolltop one. Awesome to see the three-foot strides they get in, the "I'm going!" attitudes.........)

did ya see the brit go around on the chestnut, think he had a crochet ear covering? First burghley I believe, totally locked onto his fences, was wonderful to watch. not a seasoned pair, but game.

Un and Jane Sleeper went well though the brush, ditch, rolltop combo.

is wonderful tosee all the clever footowrk that these hosrses are putting in. this course looks very hard to me, hilly, twisty turny lots of combinations...

WHo is the male commentator? Not David OC, the other man...and who is the woman?

crap Jane lost her reins in the water. crap.

pwynnnorman
Sep. 1, 2007, 09:54 AM
Ian Stark.

Xctrygirl
Sep. 1, 2007, 09:55 AM
You have really a lovely cross section of riders commentating,

Ian Stark

David

Tina Cook

Alice Plunkett

All are 4* riders.

~Emily

NRB
Sep. 1, 2007, 09:58 AM
Ian Stark.

makes sense, I didn't think that was an english accent.

what happened to Mat Ryan's horse?

Bruce and Jam about to start now...

pwynnnorman
Sep. 1, 2007, 10:03 AM
Just a minor aside: Tina Cook has pinned high hopes on her ride Miner's Frolic as a future Olympic horse. Frolic has won several decent CIC ***s. Teddy's dam and sister are both in foal to his sire, Miner's Lamp!

Back to the action:

MY WORD! What a series of really ugly rides. Geesh, sometimes you just wonder what their thinking. (Or not.) That one guy whose horse "Harry?" crawled into the water--gee, he had plenty of time to turn left, pop up the bank and give the horse plenty of room to get to the brush. Instead, he trots awkwardly on a tight line to it and the horse climbs over it again. That's gotta take a heck of lot out of a horse--and such an honest horse at that. Very unfair of the rider -- his mind must just have stopped working temporarily.

NRB
Sep. 1, 2007, 10:10 AM
Why do some horses have bridle numbers on for XC??? But not all of them do.

how about the horse that left a stride out in front of the brush fences? Lovely fwd steeplechase ride through there. took the rider a bit by surprise. Ian made the comment that the rider was counting down her strides outloud.

pwynnnorman
Sep. 1, 2007, 10:25 AM
Yes, but as Ian said, it was more like, "Four, three, ONE!" (He said something about how she couldn't quite count negative, the way the horse left it out!):lol:

AppJumpr08
Sep. 1, 2007, 10:46 AM
Why do some horses have bridle numbers on for XC??? But not all of them do.

Lots of riders like to use bridle numbers in case they and their horses part ways and the horse ends up continuing on without their rider :eek:

NRB
Sep. 1, 2007, 10:50 AM
Lots of riders like to use bridle numbers in case they and their horses part ways and the horse ends up continuing on without their rider :eek:

Oh thanks! Was worried when I saw that a lot of the us riders didn't have them.

Sara and tony on course now!

pwynnnorman
Sep. 1, 2007, 11:00 AM
What happened to Sara? She's not getting hardly any time on camera (blasted Brits--they've given few of our riders much camera time).

goodymar1188
Sep. 1, 2007, 11:01 AM
Poor Sara... :( Wonder what happened?

Under the Fence Analysis... they retired at Fence 19...

FlightCheck
Sep. 1, 2007, 11:02 AM
the scoreboard lists them as "retired". Hope they're ok!

JenJ
Sep. 1, 2007, 11:02 AM
What happened to Sara? She's not getting hardly any time on camera (blasted Brits--they've given few of our riders much camera time).

Scoreboard says Retired - I dont have the video stream

Xctrygirl
Sep. 1, 2007, 11:05 AM
It might be on the next set of "thrills and spills" footage after a commerical.

We'll have to wait and see.

~Emily

NRB
Sep. 1, 2007, 11:09 AM

yes I saw that also, too bad Polly Stockton was riding same time, they gave more camera time to her....makes sense big brittish rider on a brit tv.....but still a bummer.

Scoreboard says Sara retired on course......

Xctrygirl
Sep. 1, 2007, 11:13 AM
Fence 19 for Sara's retirement.

Cottesmore Leap.

~Emily

NRB
Sep. 1, 2007, 11:14 AM
LOVE the way Fairfax jumps, snaps his knees wayy up there.

Holy Moly! Mary Kings leans back soo far for the drop in the leaf pit that I swear she could touch the back of her head on the horses rump.

wabadou
Sep. 1, 2007, 11:14 AM
The Burghley site says that Sara and Tony retired :(does anyone know what happened ?

Xctrygirl
Sep. 1, 2007, 11:20 AM
Sara's problems were not shown on video. We (those with video) are still waiting to see/hear any info later. Maybe in a highlight reel of the problems during this batch of riders.

See in the UK you can still show falls and PETA won't come trample you asap. ;)

~Emily

NRB
Sep. 1, 2007, 11:24 AM
I'm not sure that fence 19 has even been shown on video yet has it? Cottesmore leap?

Mary King is amazing, absolutely amazing.

Xctrygirl
Sep. 1, 2007, 11:32 AM
Totally agree. That ride was all her. Nice to see some hallmark riders from GBR doing well even years after their first big horse. (King William)

Ugh Dornin, problems..

Ollie on the ground...

Can clayton's horse make the time???

~Emily

Xctrygirl
Sep. 1, 2007, 11:36 AM
Nope Clayton fell to 6th place. 25 seconds over.

I would agree that Nulabor's gallop is lacking at a 4 * contest.

WILLIAM!!! Oy Vey... sit back...

~Emily

NRB
Sep. 1, 2007, 11:37 AM
too bad Clayton, didn't make the time and droped to 6th. Can stll do well tomorrow and move up again.

WOW foxx pitt up the neck on Ballincola.(sp sorry)

great little paint on course as well. Always root for the little horses. Sold as a 2yo by a gypsy, banks the brush, goes for a swim in the water....bummer

3 more rides to go for the day?

Xctrygirl
Sep. 1, 2007, 11:40 AM
FYI the "personal" comments that David was referring to are because Alice Plunkett, the current commentator, is in fact, Mrs. William Fox-Pitt

Poor wet paint pony!!! hate dunkings.

~Emily

pwynnnorman
Sep. 1, 2007, 11:45 AM
Gotta admit, I didn't think the skewbald would get around. He looked over his head. Not the stride, not the balance, not the agility for the level, IMO.

Xctrygirl
Sep. 1, 2007, 11:46 AM
Also # 96, Clea Phillips is married to Vere Phillips. If this name doesn't ring bells here ya go...

Vere was married to Polly Phillips who was killed on xc on her horse Coral Cove. He then jumped in after her death and rode Coral around Badminton and I think Burghley in her memory.

Very nice to see that he's married another strong eventer and didn't leave the game.

~Emily

Xctrygirl
Sep. 1, 2007, 11:48 AM
Gotta admit, I didn't think the skewbald would get around. He looked over his head. Not the stride, not the balance, not the agility for the level, IMO.

Wynn, how many people do you think probably say the same thing about Teddy before>????

Give the skewbald some time. He was jumping well but I thought had an unlucky day. And his dressage is quite nice.

~Emily

vineyridge
Sep. 1, 2007, 11:55 AM
Glad to see Polly Stockton is within striking distance. She made such a good show at Rolex in Pippa Funnell's year that I've been hoping she could come through and win one of the big ones.

About the skewbald--majikal gypsy vanner, do you think? (I don't have video).

Edited after thinking about what pwynn said about eventing and horses. This goes straight back to the roots of the sport in the cavalry. Those horses had to get it done and did, no matter how it got done.

Xctrygirl
Sep. 1, 2007, 12:01 PM
Ok David cursed Andrew...

LOL

David watches him coming to the three in the arena, and with regards to his time and whether ornot he'll make the time. And David says, "Oh yea he's got it"

Thereafter Andrew's horse gets too close to the third jump in the arena, stops and breifly has a foot caught in the front of the fence decorations. He jumps off, frees his horse and elects to retire.

Oh well. But he is still the leader.

~Emily

pwynnnorman
Sep. 1, 2007, 12:16 PM
Wynn, how many people do you think probably say the same thing about Teddy before>????

Give the skewbald some time. He was jumping well but I thought had an unlucky day. And his dressage is quite nice.

~Emily

Nope, we'll have to agree to disagree there (and I really wish folks wouldn't automatically compare whatever I say about a horse to Teddy--he wasn't even a thought in my mind when I posted that; there IS more to life than just one horse!).

I don't think that horse is a four-star horse because he's got a lot of disadvantages and did NOT look like the jumps were easy or going to be easy, even with more experience. Great dressage does not a great x-c horse make. His very conformation and way of going are huge strikes against him. Sure, he may have the heart to try, but my opinion is that he just won't have it. Of course, I root for all the small guys, but I"m just stating an opinion as any sport fan would, OK?

barbaraG
Sep. 1, 2007, 12:20 PM
Hello, Everyone ;)

Just read the Burghley site. There's a nice little bit about Jam and Bruce! ;)

Jam once put her beautiful head down and allowed me to cuddle her. So sweet.

I asked Bruce after the ride, "Was she my good little girl?" :lol:

BarbaraG
GWV/ now known as Norfolk

GreystoneKC
Sep. 1, 2007, 12:46 PM
How much XC is left to see? Is it worth paying for the broadcast at this point?

goodymar1188
Sep. 1, 2007, 12:50 PM
XC is all done now...

AppJumpr08
Sep. 1, 2007, 01:13 PM
So happy to see that Bruce and Jam had a good safe trip! (only going by the score board right now... I don't have the video...)

One Star
Sep. 1, 2007, 01:50 PM
I'm not sure that fence 19 has even been shown on video yet has it? Cottesmore leap?

Here is a lovely three-shot view of WFP's approach to it last year:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Fox-Pitt

It's a very huge and imposing fence, and judging from the webcast of the beginning of Sara's round, her horse seemed a wee bit behind her leg, or she was riding conservatively at her debut at a big international track. First-time Burghley nerves? Only Sara can tell us.

It's terribly disappointing, but I'm sure Sara will be back. She has great future ahead of her.

One Star
Sep. 1, 2007, 01:51 PM

Cute, but certainly no Teddy! :D

One Star
Sep. 1, 2007, 01:53 PM
How much XC is left to see? Is it worth paying for the broadcast at this point?

Yes, because it's available on demand for almost a week after today.

One Star
Sep. 1, 2007, 01:56 PM
So happy to see that Bruce and Jam had a good safe trip! (only going by the score board right now... I don't have the video...)

They were cooking along, Jess. I love that Bruce likes to ride a horse like a sports car without (in his words) "touching the brakes."

In fact, the only moment I could see where he might have lost the time was at the trout hatchery when Jam jumped into the water so boldly that they had to opt for the looping way over the brush on the out.

Backstage
Sep. 1, 2007, 03:06 PM
Burghley is amazing! I just thought I'd put that out there....I have a million pictures that I'm going to try and upload (ok, maybe just a few hundred)...any special requests? I can try and accomodate.

AppJumpr08
Sep. 1, 2007, 03:21 PM
They were cooking along, Jess. I love that Bruce likes to ride a horse like a sports car without (in his words) "touching the brakes."

In fact, the only moment I could see where he might have lost the time was at the trout hatchery when Jam jumped into the water so boldly that they had to opt for the looping way over the brush on the out.

Awwww yay!!! I was just sorting through some old pictures and found some shots of Buck doing one of Jam's first XC schools at Green Acres... in the winter of... 2001. :D Back when she was still owned by the woman who bought her from Bruce... and then sold her back.

I'm just so thrilled for both of them!!! :yes::yes::yes: Now to convince him to sell me one of her babies... :lol:

sporthorselover
Sep. 1, 2007, 03:21 PM
does anyone know how to access the on demand stuff, now that cross country is over? i paid for the video, watched some of xc live, now i want to go back and see what's already happened. can't seem to find a button or link to do that.

thanks!

GreystoneKC
Sep. 1, 2007, 03:28 PM
Burghley is amazing! I just thought I'd put that out there....I have a million pictures that I'm going to try and upload (ok, maybe just a few hundred)...any special requests? I can try and accomodate.

Fleeceworks Blackout

Jam

pwynnnorman
Sep. 1, 2007, 03:32 PM
Hey, if Jam is the highest-placed mare, she'll get a voucher for an embryo transfer. Cool to wonder who she would...no, no: who she will ;)...be bred to.

Next question, though. Stadium jumping: who of the leaders are the most reliable? Hasn't Lord Killinghurst been a bit inconsistent there?

AppJumpr08
Sep. 1, 2007, 04:00 PM
Hey, if Jam is the highest-placed mare, she'll get a voucher for an embryo transfer. Cool to wonder who she would...no, no: who she will ;)...be bred to.

Its too bad High Scope isn't with us anymore... :sadsmile: what a baby THAT would've been!!!

Backstage
Sep. 1, 2007, 04:14 PM
I believe the embryo transfer prize if for the highest placed british mare or one domiciled in the uk...so Jam would not qualify.

Working on some pics - only two, I think, of Fleeceworks. I remember because I had a great location, and have great pics of the horses before and after, but no great ones of Fleeceworks Blackout because someone stuck their head in my way! I distinctly remember since I figured he was the closest thing to a Canadian I could root for.

Backstage
Sep. 1, 2007, 04:32 PM
edited to remove inactive link

Nigel
Sep. 1, 2007, 04:44 PM
Who's the gray that fell?

Backstage
Sep. 1, 2007, 05:04 PM
edited to remove inactive link

quiet girl
Sep. 1, 2007, 05:39 PM
Did anyone see Harry Meade and Midnight Dazzler go?

One Star
Sep. 1, 2007, 10:41 PM
You have really a lovely cross section of riders commentating,

Ian Stark

David

Tina Cook

Alice Plunkett

All are 4* riders.

~Emily

Actually, Alice Plunkett is a racing journalist and commentator for British Channel 4. She isn't an eventer anymore (retired in 2001), she rides to hounds, though. She is also WFP's wife. :cool:

Badger
Sep. 2, 2007, 07:47 AM
Just looked at the on-line results: 18 horse have completed stadium and no double-clears. Unfortunately, the results page just shows a total of stadium faults and doesn't break down rails vs. time penalties. Looks like Clea Phillips jump clean with just a couple of time penalties, but I can't tell if anyone else left all the rails up.

pwynnnorman
Sep. 2, 2007, 08:02 AM
I've been watching the dressage reviews. They are a lot of fun, especially those with Ian Stark. He and the lady commentator whose name I can't remember, are pretty hilarious sometimes.

sporthorselover
Sep. 2, 2007, 09:36 AM
is anyone able to get the online tv thing to display the SJ live? i keep logging on and its showing me XC from yesterday. what am i doing wrong? i can tell it's not ove yet because not all the sj results are in

sporthorselover
Sep. 2, 2007, 09:42 AM
i figured it out, they are showing the top 25 horses only, starting at 9:15. time to rush around and get chores done fast before 9:15!!

One Star
Sep. 2, 2007, 10:17 AM
I've been watching the dressage reviews. They are a lot of fun, especially those with Ian Stark. He and the lady commentator whose name I can't remember, are pretty hilarious sometimes.

I think most of the time they had Ian (Scotty) paired with Tina Cook neƩ Gifford.

Both of them were competitors at Burghley in 1998 when I was there -- Ian on The Moose, and Tina on Harbinger.

That year was the most difficult track and weather conditions for the event. Everyone was calling it a 4-1/2 Star course. Mark Phillips really went over the top with it. Of 63 starters, only 24 actually finished the course. :eek: You can go to the website and look at past results here:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/more_sport/article2357659.ece
Scroll down in final results window until you get to the year you want to look up.

Time for live Showjumping...

pwynnnorman
Sep. 2, 2007, 10:20 AM
Is it late? Four minutes over and still just the times up? Or am I having problems with my technology?

[OK, now I want to get a copy of the 1998 Burghley, L!]

One Star
Sep. 2, 2007, 10:21 AM
No, I'm refreshing every five seconds and am getting the same thing... :mad:

One Star
Sep. 2, 2007, 10:26 AM
Wynn, I have a copy of it that I can put to DVD for you and bring it when I come down to Ocala. It's crazy. Saturday was monsoon conditions. The rider I was grooming for looked like she had gone swimming in her kit before she even went into the start box...

Are you working at the November at the Horse Park?

One Star
Sep. 2, 2007, 10:26 AM
Here we go!!!!

sporthorselover
Sep. 2, 2007, 10:28 AM
....how did you get it to play?

One Star
Sep. 2, 2007, 10:28 AM
Oops, three rails and time for Zara Phillips. :(

One Star
Sep. 2, 2007, 10:29 AM
....how did you get it to play?

Click on the "Live" button under the red "Click Here" button.

One Star
Sep. 2, 2007, 10:30 AM
And refresh your screen. :D

pwynnnorman
Sep. 2, 2007, 10:33 AM
Wynn, I have a copy of it that I can put to DVD for you and bring it when I come down to Ocala. It's crazy. Saturday was monsoon conditions. The rider I was grooming for looked like she had gone swimming in her kit before she even went into the start box...

Are you working at the November at the Horse Park?

Yes, I'll be there. Thanks! Anything you want to see that's more recent? I have a lot from the last ten years or so.

pinkdiamondracing
Sep. 2, 2007, 10:35 AM
The Burghley site says that Sara and Tony retired :(does anyone know what happened ?

Sara and Tony have retired due to Tony tying up a bit on XC she did not like the way he was NOT pulling on her like normal, and he did not seem to be getting off the ground at the jumps like he usually does, so after 19 she pulled him up and he had tied up a bit.. Live to fight another day

One Star
Sep. 2, 2007, 10:35 AM
:)

pwynnnorman
Sep. 2, 2007, 10:37 AM
OMG, the jump on that little black horse! Wowser. The air he got through the triple. My only tiny criticism was that if Poggio had gotten to the tight spot on the penultimate fence, he'd still have cleared it!

Nigel
Sep. 2, 2007, 10:37 AM
Antigua in ring!

Nigel
Sep. 2, 2007, 10:39 AM
2 rails for Will

One Star
Sep. 2, 2007, 10:39 AM
Wow, I'm impressed. At 9:23 a.m. I sent an email to tech support for Burghley TV alerting them to the fact that the live feed was not happening, and I just got a response:

Sorry for the delay, there was a problem with the satellite feed that has now been resolved.

2007@burghley.tv [mailto:2007@burghley.tv]
Sent: 02 September 2007 14:24
To: Application Support; do-not-reply@burghley.tv

www.burghley.tv (http://www.burghley.tv) Feedback Form

Type of query: General Inquiry

First Name: Lesli

Last Name: Cohen

Question: When will you be starting the live feed of showjumping? It is already nearly ten minutes late...

pwynnnorman
Sep. 2, 2007, 10:43 AM
Anyone know how many four-fault rounds so far?

One Star
Sep. 2, 2007, 10:43 AM
Well, according to the coversation David and Alice were just having, there hasn't been a single clear showjumping round yet...

One Star
Sep. 2, 2007, 10:44 AM
Here comes Bruce!

Nigel
Sep. 2, 2007, 10:45 AM
bruce in ring

One Star
Sep. 2, 2007, 10:46 AM
Way to go Bruce!!!! first double clear!!!

Nigel
Sep. 2, 2007, 10:47 AM
bruce first double clear!!!

pwynnnorman
Sep. 2, 2007, 10:47 AM
Yesssss, Bruce! Way to go. What a master he is.

One Star
Sep. 2, 2007, 10:48 AM
And that mare is really spectacular. Not a DQ, but can she run and jump. :D

pinkdiamondracing
Sep. 2, 2007, 10:55 AM
Just a quick note-- sara and tony retired yesterday due to tony's tying up a bit-- talked to Mom and she said that tony was not pulling on sara like he usually does and didn't seem to be getting out of the ground at the jumps like he does normally so after 19 sara felt something wasn't right with him and decided it was better to pull him up and see what was the problem-- as a result, tony has suffered no injury and will be back to run another day

One Star
Well, that last fence, the Land Rover Planks, is really being quite decisive. Bruce is climbing up the ranks with every new combo that comes into the ring and has rails. :)

pwynnnorman
I think he's going to get into the top ten, don't you?

One Star
Sep. 2, 2007, 10:56 AM
Wow, this horse of Harry Meade's has quit the jump left in him. Second double clear of the day.

Nigel
Sep. 2, 2007, 10:57 AM
harry meade double clear

Nigel
Sep. 2, 2007, 11:00 AM
wfp one rail

pwynnnorman
Sep. 2, 2007, 11:07 AM
Bruce is top ten. Can he keep going??? Oh, it's too exciting. What's the math?

One Star
Sep. 2, 2007, 11:11 AM
Bruce is top ten. Can he keep going??? Oh, it's too exciting. What's the math?

Bruce is sitting on 66.6, so at this point to move up anymore, Piggy French has to have two rails and time, Clayton needs to have three rails, and beyond that, it would have to be a case of sticks flying by WFP, Andrew Hoy, Polly Stockton, and Andrew Nicholson. Not likely, so I think he'll have to be happy with 11th.

One Star
Sep. 2, 2007, 11:14 AM
Well there are four rails for Piggy French, so Bruce is now in tenth.

One Star
Sep. 2, 2007, 11:19 AM
Crikey, whether it's riding them left to right or right to left, those Land Rover Planks at the last are really the bugaboo of this course, for sure.

pwynnnorman
Sep. 2, 2007, 11:24 AM
My word, after Andrew's near-perfect, all-control ride--he STILL gets the planks? What IS it with them????

One Star
Sep. 2, 2007, 11:29 AM
THis is a nail-biter. Andrew Nicholson HAS to have a clear round here to win...

One Star
Sep. 2, 2007, 11:30 AM
Well, there you go, WFP just won it!!!

Nigel
Sep. 2, 2007, 11:31 AM
wfp wins!!!

pwynnnorman
Sep. 2, 2007, 11:36 AM
Yeah, but Bruce beat The Planks! :D

One Star
Sep. 2, 2007, 11:36 AM
And way to go Bruce, finishing in tenth on Jam! :)

Drvmb1ggl3
Sep. 2, 2007, 11:43 AM
The breeding of the top 15 at Burghley, as best I can tell.
As always, corrections and/or additional info welcome.

1. Parkmore Ed - ISH (IRE) ---- Parkmore Night (ISH) - Bodalmore Lass (ISH) x Diamonds are Trumps (RID)
2. Tom Quigley - ISH (IRE) ---- Edmund Burke (TB) - Darrara Princess (AID/ISH) x Flagmount Boy (RID)
3. Master Monarch - SHB?? (GB) ---- Just a monarch (TB) - Bagy Tic Tac (???) x Tack On (TB)
4. Lord Killinghurst - SHB (GB) ---- Sulaafah (TB) - Killinghurst Girl (SHB) x Maple Duellist (HANN)
5. Ballincoola - ISH (IRE) ----- Highland King (ISH) - Dawn Girl (ISH) x Kildalton Gold (RID)
6. Nullarbor - ISH (IRE) ----- Creative Plan (TB) - Lethal Lass (ISH) x Regal Sting (TB)
7. Shaabrak - SHB (GB) ----- Shaab (TB) - Polladras Lady Jane (SHB?)
8. Midnight Dazzler - SHB (GB) ----- Catherston Dazzler (SHB) - Landford Lady (SHB) x National Trust (TB)
9. Fairfax - TB (IRE) ----- Sun Valley (TB) - Goban Spur (TB) x Dusky Boy (TB)
10. Jam - TB (USA) ----- Snar (TB) - Totaiy (TB) x Explode (TB)
11. Connigar Bay - TB (IRE) ------ Homo Sapien (TB) - Pearl of the Bay (TB) x He Loves Me (TB)
12. Paris - (FRA??) -----
13. Twinkle Bee - ISH (IRE) ----- Taldi (TB) - Ballynattin Spring (ISH) x Kiltealy Spring (ISH)
14. Two O Two - SHB (GB) ----- Welton Crackerjack (SHB) x Near Invisible (SHB??)
15. Opposition Buzz - SHB (GB) ----- Fleetwater Opposition (TRAK) - Jungle Bee (TB) x Java Tiger (TB)

Jaysus, but you can't beat breeding.

Parkmore Night is by Carnival Night......Nuff said.
Edmund Burke is the sire of Supreme Rock among others, ...... Nuff said
Just a Monarch... well, where would you start..... Nuff said.
Killinghurst Girl. Eventing broodmare of the decade.... Nuff said.
Even the highest placed TB, Jam, was sporthorse bred.. being by a GP showjumper with a damsire that raced and won over fences.... Nuff said.

One Star
Sep. 2, 2007, 11:46 AM
According the the USEA records, Paris is a Selle Francais.

NRB
Sep. 2, 2007, 11:48 AM
what does SHB stand for?

Drvmb1ggl3
Sep. 2, 2007, 11:50 AM
SHB = British Sport Horse.

NRB
Sep. 2, 2007, 11:51 AM
thanks and that means what?? A TB cross?

ok so now whats the Pairs Competition? they just awarded ribbons to polly and andrew for?

Drvmb1ggl3
Sep. 2, 2007, 11:52 AM
According the the USEA records, Paris is a Selle Francais.

That's what I thought. Any idea on the breeding?

Drvmb1ggl3
Sep. 2, 2007, 11:53 AM
thanks and that means what?? A TB cross?

It means a sport horse bred in GB. Could be any combo of TB, WB, RID, etc etc.

NRB
Sep. 2, 2007, 11:58 AM
ok so the same thing as ISH is in Ireland right?

mbj
Sep. 2, 2007, 12:05 PM
Oh, thanks so much for compiling the breeding info. Pretty lovely!!!

One Star
Sep. 2, 2007, 12:07 PM
That's what I thought. Any idea on the breeding?

I've searched the British Eventing site, Google, and all the results from when Kelli competed him, and I've come up with zip. Anyone?

Equibrit
Sep. 2, 2007, 12:25 PM
Poetic justice. Haha!
Mr Nicholson isn't a terribly popular figure, as he was fooling around with Wiggy when both were married.

Eventer13
Sep. 2, 2007, 12:48 PM
So does Jam get the breedings? Or is there another mare ahead of her?

Weatherford
Sep. 2, 2007, 01:00 PM
YAY IRISH HORSES!!! And, you can bet those British Bred horses have some Irish in them, too!! Either ID or ITB....

:)

Now, if only the Irish riders could collectively get their acts together... the Team Coach quit last week - I think they should hire Denny or Wofford.... :)

Thomas_1
Sep. 2, 2007, 01:05 PM
Fantastic results all round for team GB

barbaraG
Sep. 2, 2007, 02:58 PM
Does anyone know where I could send a congrats note to Jam and Bruce??

BarbaraG
GWV/now known as Norfolk

mbj
Sep. 2, 2007, 03:04 PM
Bruce has a web page
www.brucedavidsoneventing.com

and I think his phone number in Unionville is available by directory assistance or the phone book.

Weren't he and Jam the bee's knees?!

BigRuss1996
Sep. 2, 2007, 03:15 PM
Bruce O Davidson
Chesterland Farm
P.O. Box 453
Unionville, PA 19375

Does anyone know where I could send a congrats note to Jam and Bruce??

BarbaraG
GWV/now known as Norfolk

ksbadger
Sep. 4, 2007, 12:14 AM
An interesting follow-up to the trials is in today's London Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=A1YourView&xml=/sport/2007/09/03/soeque103.xml ). Lucinda Green in a few short paragraphs manages to review the course, contrasts eventing old & new, explains how an event horse learns and, finally, slams some of the newer riders for "not learning one of the most critical gears require in cross-country riding" - phew!

One Star
Sep. 4, 2007, 02:45 AM
An interesting follow-up to the trials is in today's London Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=A1YourView&xml=/sport/2007/09/03/soeque103.xml ). Lucinda Green in a few short paragraphs manages to review the course, contrasts eventing old & new, explains how an event horse learns and, finally, slams some of the newer riders for "not learning one of the most critical gears require in cross-country riding" - phew!

Thanks for the link! Interesting article, sounds totally like Lucinda's way of talking, but it ends rather abruptly, don't you think? I kept looking for the next page of the article, but it wasn't there. :confused:

BigRuss1996
Sep. 4, 2007, 07:45 AM
He has quite an established breeding operation at the farm. There are about 8 to 10 broodmares currently out in the field, I am pretty sure one of them will use the breedings as Jam has more competing to do. He has talked of doing embryo transfer with her though (so she can keep competing and one of the others will have her baby).

So does Jam get the breedings? Or is there another mare ahead of her?

piccolittle
Sep. 4, 2007, 07:51 AM
Ahhh I just got back and I have loads of pictures! We got to do a course walk with Lucinda (absolutely amazing!) and William Fox-Pitt signed a copy of his book on Friday for me, then we cheered him all the way to victory! If anyone wants to see the pictures I'll put them on webshots or something.

Now I have even bigger dreams for me and my pony!! :) *sigh* now back to real life...

Dressage62
Sep. 4, 2007, 02:23 PM
Kudos to Dorin Anne North who completely lost a stirrup leather/iron at jump 10/11 and still managed to finish!
Jane Sleeper lost the reins over her horse's head at 10/11...thank goodness the horse has a short neck....
Go Bruce! What a perfect showjumping round!

piccolittle
Sep. 4, 2007, 02:44 PM
Photos are up!!! Bear with me because I have about a million but if anyone is interested... comes in four installments:

http://uclac.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2069770&l=a3bd0&id=37100268

http://uclac.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2069773&l=521d9&id=37100268

http://uclac.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2069774&l=04da5&id=37100268

http://uclac.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2069776&l=3f49d&id=37100268

Enjoy! :D

pwynnnorman
Sep. 4, 2007, 06:51 PM
Does anyone want to help analyze The Planks for me? I really want to know why it looks like only two or three horses actually cleared that jump.

BTW, H&H has some interesting pics. This one is my favorite, which I'd have labelled "The destroyer is coming about. Dive, dive, dive!": http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=241

OneDaySoon
Sep. 4, 2007, 09:14 PM
Photos are up!!! Bear with me because I have about a million but if anyone is interested... comes in four installments:

The photos are AWESOME and so incredibly instructive.

IMVHO, with regards to the planks, and I can't say I have looked at this closely and welcome other observations, but it seemed like most riders were getting under the planks. It was on a bending line from the second to last fence and seemed like riders were either attempting to jump on a slight angle or coming at it square on approximately two short strides from the bend, and either approach would seem to need a big jump which was tough with the distance from the center curve. Just throwing it out there. But we know Teddy could have done it!

pwynnnorman
Sep. 5, 2007, 12:10 PM
Yes, OneDaySoon, I could see that--but that just made me wonder why they didn't drift out to the left a bit to fit in a full stride (yeah, and how's THAT for armchair quarterbacking, huh?). I mean, after seeing/hearing of...what? FIFTY or so?...horses taking that plank down, wouldn't you think someone would try something different? Did anyone count the strides there? How much room did they have to drift out a bit? I don't recall there being a rail in the way or anything.

Indeed, I'm not sure Teddy could have done it. Poggio, maybe. It did seem that the bigger (like, 16.2+) horses did especially poorly at it. Jam isn't that big and she can be so catlike. Poggio, too--and he has so much experience clearing jumps in spite of scrambling just in front of them (said with admiration, not criticism). I think there might have been something BEYOND that jump that was contributing to the problem. I just can't believe a course designer could create a line that almost no one could ride cleanly unless some optical illusion or something had an influence somehow.

EasterEgg
Sep. 5, 2007, 12:47 PM

Great pictures, thanks for sharing!

The grey in the first album is Lenamore ridden by Caroline Powell. The one in the 3rd album who (showjumping) who you thought might be Harry Mead is Clayton Fredericks.

HTH!

QHEventr
Sep. 5, 2007, 02:58 PM
Pwynn-

From what I saw, the planks rode just like planks normally do. They are very upright, no groundline, and probably on flat cups. Then add in that they are the last fence on course. At NAYRC in 2003, the planks were midway around the course, but only 2 of us jumped them clean. They were on flat cups, off of a turn, upright, with no groundline.

Planks are generally the real question for a tired, flat jump that most event horses have on the third day. Being the last fence, IMO brought the riders head into the game a bit more. The veterans that did jump clean around them have made the mistake before of getting sloppy to the last, and have learned that lesson the hard way. Obviously there were alot of veteran riders that still had the fence down, but I saw several less experienced riders come running down to it, OR waiting till they were under the fence. Quite a few threw the reins away at the last minute or jumped ahead instead of waiting for the horse to come to them.

JMHO

Johanna

Murphy1
Sep. 5, 2007, 11:23 PM
For their 1st Burghley! What a great XC ride, after such a dissappointing Dressage, and moving up 43 places from 64th to 21st - that is quite remarkable. Even David O'C commented it was the "finest XC ride of the day".....acknowledgement is certainly in order for this great pair - especially Antigua at 18! Will made the course look easy, as he usually does....
Here's to Will & Antigua...thanks for representing the US well!!!

BAC
Sep. 11, 2007, 05:17 PM
Poetic justice. Haha!
Mr Nicholson isn't a terribly popular figure, as he was fooling around with Wiggy when both were married.

Yup and have you noticed how many times Andrew has finished second to WFP in major events since then? Poetic justice for sure. :yes: