PDA

View Full Version : 139th meeting of Saratoga concluded; records fall

Glimmerglass
Jul. 24, 2007, 11:48 AM
Just 24 hours away from the start of the much anticipated season, possibly the last under NYRA control, with an A-list jockey colony and many great races in the making!

With 21,000 + attending just the open house on Sunday, with only steeplechasing as live racing, this year could be a banner one. That is more people then have attended some other track meets on the day of their signature race!

Wednesday is pronounced by the Schuylerville Stakes (G3) for 2-yr old fillies at 6 furlongs.

The horses aside, you'll have Julien Leparoux, Edgar Prado, Kent Desormeaux, Calvin Borel, Garrett Gomez, Johnny Velazquez, Sean Bridgmohan, and Eibar Coa riding in that race alone.

An interesting 2-yr old filly in the Schuylerville, based upon her ownership:

According to Plan, trained by Barclay Tagg and owned by a partnership that includes NYRA chairman Steve Duncker and NYRA president and CEO Charlie Hayward, won her debut by 4 1/4 lengths while running five furlongs in 56.21 seconds. She came back with a solid four-furlong work over the weekend at Saratoga.

"She's gotten pretty aggressive," said Robin Smullen, Tagg's assistant. "She was aggressive before, but now she's like sitting on top of the world. She thinks she's all that."

DRF 7-24-07 "Plenty to get excited about at the Spa" (http://www.drf.com/news/article/86940.html)

The backstretch is filling up with some of the game's highest-profile runners, led by Kentucky Derby winner Street Sense, Preakness winner Curlin. If Street Sense runs in Sunday's Jim Dandy as expected, he will be the first Derby winner to run here during his 3-year-old season since Thunder Gulch in 1995. While Curlin is preparing for the $1 million Haskell at Monmouth on Aug. 5, there is hope for a Street Sense-Curlin showdown in the $1 million Travers on Aug. 25.

Saturday's Grade 1 Whitney is expected to draw a competitive and large field from which a new handicap division leader could emerge to replace the recently retired Invasor. Flashy Bull, Brass Hat, Magna Graduate, and Papi Chullo head the field.

The $750,000 Whitney was moved from the second Saturday of the meet to the first Saturday to accommodate the new Breeders' Cup Challenge Series. The Whitney will be run on the same card with the Diana, Go for Wand, and Alfred G. Vanderbilt Handicap. The winners of those four races earn automatic berths into their respective Breeders' Cup races this fall at Monmouth Park.

TVG is broadcasting exclusively the Saratoga races (HRTV gets the snub for live races) save for ABC/ESPN who gets some of the finest action.

Saturday July 28th is a don't miss day for racing on ABC Sports and in fact Saratoga/NYRA reworked the race cards to accomodate the tv schedule!

On Saturday, Saratoga will stage its richest-ever day of racing, with four graded stakes worth $1.7 million on an 11-race card boasting more than $2.1 million in total purses. The four graded events serve as the inaugural legs of the Breeders' Cup Challenge. Under the new "Win and You're In" format, the winner of each race will earn an automatic berth in the corresponding Breeders' Cup event on October 27 at Monmouth Park.

The victor of the $750,000 Whitney H. (G1), for three-year-olds and up at 1 1/8 miles, will be guaranteed a spot in the starting gate for the Breeders' Cup Classic (G1). Accordingly, the winner of the $500,000 Diana S. (G1) for distaffers at nine grassy furlongs will secure a place in the Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Turf (G1), the heroine of the $250,000 Go for Wand H. (G1) at 1 1/8 miles will gain a berth in the Breeders' Cup Distaff (G1), and the fastest speedster in the $200,000 Alfred G. Vanderbilt H. (G2) at six furlongs will book his ticket to the Breeders' Cup Sprint (G1).

In order to accommodate ABC's live, two-hour coverage of the Breeders' Cup Challenge beginning at 4 p.m. (EDT), the race schedule has been changed. The Go for Wand will now be carded as the 7TH race, the Vanderbilt as the 8TH, the Diana as the 9TH and the Whitney as the 10TH.

Some great stuff!

holmes
Jul. 24, 2007, 12:51 PM
Street Sense is here (came Sunday) and is doing well.

Linny
Jul. 24, 2007, 02:17 PM
And Curlin worked this morning.

miss_critic
Jul. 24, 2007, 08:18 PM
So those of us with no TVG can't watch Street Sense Sunday? That's a BUMMER!

Who do you guys like in the Jim Dandy? You think Tiz Wonderful is going to suprise us?

Glimmerglass
Jul. 24, 2007, 08:23 PM
So I wonder who the horse was who got loose on Monday ...

From a Saratoga blog:

Thoroughbred can’t wait for post time
July 23, 2007 at 12:18 pm by Christen Deming, staff writer, Times-Union

Apparently the humans aren’t the only ones excited about Wednesday’s track opening.

Early this morning, a horse got loose at the track and decided to take a little joy run around the city’s east side neighborhood. We got a call from a Nelson Avenue resident that said he was getting his daughter ready for basketball camp this morning and saw a thoroughbred run past his house. The horse, cantering down the street, must’ve high-tailed it down Union Ave. then hung a right onto Nelson. Although, he could’ve just ducked through some backyards.

NYRA officials caught up with the skittish horse shortly there after. It’s unclear which horse it was, but if he’s running on Wednesday, for the determination and exhuberance, I’d put him at 3-1 odds.

A handy site for those going there Albany Times Union's Saratoga Racing Season page (http://timesunion.com/saratoga/)

Glimmerglass
Jul. 24, 2007, 08:38 PM
So those of us with no TVG can't watch Street Sense Sunday?

Nope at least not live as neither ABC or ESPN could secure the rights to air the Jim Dandy. Likely that is due to their large role with Saturday's coverage of the "Breeders' Cup Challenge" at 4 p.m. ET on with the Grade 1 Whitney Handicap, G1 Grade 1 Go for Wand Handicap, Grade 2 Alfred G. Vanderbilt Handicap, and Grade 1 Diana Stakes.

The Grade 2 $500k Jim Dandy Stakes (won last year by Bernardini and run on a Saturday) is looking like a very strong field with Tiz Wonderful and Street Sense, as well as Sightseeing, C P West and Cowtown Cat.

Of course you will be able to see the replay on-line shortly thereafter its run.

I will put my money on Street Sense as he's put in some brilliant workouts and while Saratoga is the graveyard of champions I just don't see that level of effort from Tiz back yet.

Glimmerglass
Jul. 25, 2007, 08:49 AM
More on today's hard charging filly, According to Plan, trained by Barclay Tagg in the Schuylerville Stakes:

The 89th edition of the race for 2-year-old fillies is a Grade III event at six furlongs worth $100,000.

Purchased for $80,000 at the Ocala Breeders' Sales Company April juvenile auction, she is by Out of Place-Waiting, by Affirmed, a pedigree that does not exactly lend itself to precocity.

"We never asked her for lots of speed in her training, so we were surprised as she went 22 and 44 1/5 seconds for the first half mile in her debut," said Robin Smullen, assistant to Tagg. "But she doesn't have to be in front, and since it looks like there is lots of speed in this race, she can sit off the pace if they go out there zinging."

Source: The Saratogian July 24, 2007 (http://www.saratogian.com/site/index.cfm?newsid=18624059&BRD=1169&PAG=461&dept_id=602469&rfi=8)

Cornelio Velasquez returns aboard According to Plan at 119 pounds, the weight carried by all starters.

Glimmerglass
Jul. 25, 2007, 08:56 AM
Can history be repeated?

Last year's opening-day attendance at the Spa was 27,346. With good weather this year's opening should exceed that number.

Also the winner of the first race in 2006 was Massoud, who just happens to be entered in today's opener.

Race 1; set for 1:00 pm EST " 1/16 Miles (Inner turf) for 4 Year Olds And Up Claiming Purse: $46,000 (http://www.drf.com/entries/25/eSAR25.html?rn=020277#1)

PP #3 is Massoud, trained by Graham Motion and ridden by Johnny Velazquez, listed at 5-2 this morning

Glimmerglass
Jul. 25, 2007, 09:08 AM
If you are looking for interesting bits mixed with some good commentary at Saratoga check out the articles in the Saratoga Special put out by ST Times/Sean Clancy and crew (http://www.st-publishing.com/special/#)

Glimmerglass
Jul. 25, 2007, 01:10 PM
Also the winner of the first race in 2006 was Massoud, who just happens to be entered in today's opener.

PP #3 is Massoud, trained by Graham Motion and ridden by Johnny Velazquez, listed at 5-2 this morning

Massoud well in the lead by a length in the final stretch of the turf course broke down and with him went down Lieutenant Danz as well. A very ugly event and I cannot imagine a good outcome for either horse although both jocks do manage to walk away :(

Glimmerglass
Jul. 25, 2007, 05:55 PM
Schuylerville Stakes (G3) was a brilliant race for 2-yr old fillies although a terrible break for the Barclay Tagg trained betting favorite. Cornelio Velasquez aboard that horse that was anything but 'According To Plan'.

Nice to see an an unexpected winner!

Glimmerglass
Jul. 25, 2007, 06:17 PM
A brilliant dead-heat in the final race at Saratoga! With two more horses just a head away from the wire themselves. Lovely!

First day of racing and 3 wins by Edgar Prado; 1 victory for the following: Ramone Dominguez, Calvin Borel, Julien Leparoux, Castellano, Garret Gomez, Bejarano, and with the last race being a dead heat Coa and Alan Garcia also get a win too

Glimmerglass
Jul. 25, 2007, 06:25 PM
Following back up the first race as of 5 pm EST the condition of Lieutenant Danz and his rider, Raul Rojas, is still not known (http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=608994&category=&BCCode=HOME&newsdate=7/25/2007), however it was confirmed that Massoud was euthanized this afternoon.

Massoud, a seven-year old gelding, was 5-2-2-0 at Saratoga lifetime prior to today's start. Rest in peace good man.

Glimmerglass
Jul. 25, 2007, 07:39 PM
Last year's opening-day attendance at the Spa was 27,346. With good weather this year's opening should exceed that number.

First day total surpassed last year's: attendance of 30,052

On-track handle of $3,825,564 which was an opening day track record for handle on Spa races.

Article and Video of the $111,000 Schuylerville Stakes (gr. III) (http://racing.bloodhorse.com//viewstory.asp?id=39905)

miss_critic
Jul. 25, 2007, 08:30 PM
I will put my money on Street Sense as he's put in some brilliant workouts and while Saratoga is the graveyard of champions I just don't see that level of effort from Tiz back yet.

I am with you on Street Sense and I agree about Tiz. I just don't know.

It's always a trick for me to open Bloodhorse without peaking at the headlines and somehow scrolling down to view the race. I like it to be a suprise. But it's too small on my screen. Is there somewhere else that might show it bigger?

Glimmerglass
Jul. 25, 2007, 08:57 PM
I'm not sure about bigger as that is more of a software issue hence caracing.com, drf.com, bloodhorse.com, etc all seem to have the same size replay videos

You can also check ntra.com after the race as they too have the replay of NYRA races

holmes
Jul. 25, 2007, 09:10 PM
Lieutenant Danz from what I heard is fine.

Glimmerglass
Jul. 25, 2007, 10:20 PM
Lieutenant Danz from what I heard is fine.

That is good news!

Insult to injury: Massoud had been claimed out of the race by trainer David Jacobsen for $35,000.

Another disurbing element and which much be fixed:

Velazquez was lucky not be struck by a trailing horse and he was soon seen sitting up. The ambulance was extremely slow to respond to Velazquez and he eventually walked off the course and back to the jockeys' room under his own power.

According to track officials, there was a lack of communication between the outriders and the ambulance driver in part because there weren't enough walkie-talkies.

"That is more than unacceptable,'' said Bruce Johnstone, NYRA's manager of racing operations.

Though he was not injured, Velazquez was upset that he was not properly attended to.

"I hope we fix it," Velazquez said. "Hopefully, it doesn't happen again. Hopefully, they get their act together. It was addressed with the stewards and everything, so hopefully they get it together."

Velazquez rode the remainder of the card, though he finished the day 0 for 8.
Source: DRF 7-25-07 "First day thrills and spills" (http://www.drf.com/news/article/87008.html)

Linny
Jul. 25, 2007, 10:33 PM
I feel awful about Massoud, but will admit that David Jacobson has a somewhat clouded past and I find it hrd to find sympathy for him.

Blacklabs
Jul. 25, 2007, 10:59 PM
Does anyone know when Rags to Riches will come to Saratoga for the August 18 race? Sorry I just read she's at New Bolton for a check up before coming to Saratoga.I saw their horse trailer coming up the thruway and thought she might be on it.

Also can you go see her at their barn like the other barns at the track or is it closed.

Thanks

Glimmerglass
Jul. 26, 2007, 11:18 AM
Oddly - or perhaps not - once again Carl Nafzger is being coy about Street Sense for this weekend. While I never expected him to be a loud mouth saying he'd win any race he enters by 10 lengths I would think he'd be less suggestive of Street Sense being only so-so.

His workout should've occured already this am on the track so this may be a moot issue ...

Times Union 7-26-07 "Street Sense status uncertain" (http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=609148&category=SPORTS&BCCode=HOME&newsdate=7/26/2007)

"Nobody is hedging," Nafzger said at the barn. "If he works well and everything is right, he will probably run in the Jim Dandy. If he does something wrong after the work or he's not right, we've got another week and we would run in the next one. Why should we make a decision publicly because we don't know."

He said he wasn't disappointed after losing the Preakness and seemed surprised to think anyone would think he was.

"I was never disappointed in him," Nafzger said. "We got beat. We got beat fair and square. Hell, that's horse racing. You have a horse like this ... how can you be disappointed? I would be disappointed if he ran a bad race. The word disappointment is not in my vocabulary. If the horse executes, I'm not going to be disappointed."

"I don't know how popular he is; you have to let the public decide that," Nafzger said. "I know he would draw a lot of people if we took him to Arlington Park and galloped him. Let's just leave a horse a horse and enjoy it. Humans always have this thing like we are are going to turn them into Greek gods. I have trained horses a long time, and I don't have any pretense that we are going to win the world or do this or that. As long as he executes, I'm happy."

Glimmerglass
Jul. 26, 2007, 11:49 AM
I assume he will run in the Jim Dandy now

The son of Street Cry went an easy four furlongs in :51.59 under regular rider Calvin Borel.

Borel: “It’s what we wanted, to see how he would handle the track, and he went across it like a bear. He’s just blossomed; he was a lot more forward with me this morning. He’s just an awesome horse.”

holmes
Jul. 26, 2007, 01:51 PM
Also can you go see her at their barn like the other barns at the track or is it closed.

No - quite stiff penalties too - hot walking for a week with laundry and probably detention barn duties.

Glimmerglass
Jul. 26, 2007, 05:04 PM
Anyone else catch the video of Calvin working out Street Sense this morning from Saratoga? The two just seems to work together so well. The "skiing" in the irons to get him to relax to tucking down and getting him to flow in the work. It was quite nice and clearly they had plenty of go on tap if asked or even if Calvin moved him to the rail.

70-1 longshot in the 6th turf race, Al Sheetahn, almost had the shocker of the meet. In fact I thought it was a done deal before he lost to a hard charging Giant Storm at the wire. Nothing like a $2 exacta paying off $1,022 for those who took the risk!

miss_critic
Jul. 26, 2007, 05:19 PM
Where?

Glimmerglass
Jul. 26, 2007, 05:31 PM
Court will be in session at Spa with Lawyer Ron making a showing.

For the 80th running of the Whitney Handicap the post positions were selected at 11 am EST Thursday for Saturday's action (http://www.capitalnews9.com/content/sports/default.asp?ArID=217104); see video link. This race will be aired live on ABC Sports.

Invasor won this last year by nose over sun King who returns again now winless in four starts. Expect Papi Chullo, who is looking brilliant, to be one of the favs.

$750,000 Whitney Handicap (Grade I)
Race 10; 1 1/8-mile Dirt course; going off at 5:46 pm
Saturday July 28

PP Horse Jockey Weight
1 Flashy Bull Alan Garcia 118
2 Papi Chullo Eibar Coa 115
3 Brass Hat Willie Martinez 118
4 Fairbanks Richard Migliore 116
5 Wanderin Boy Rafael Bejarano 117
6 Sun King Corey Nakatani 117
7 Magna Graduate Garrett Gomez 118
8 Student Council Robby Albarado 115
9 Diamond Stripes Edgar Prado 116
10 Dry Martini Cornelio Velasquez 115
11 Lawyer Ron John Velazquez 118
12 Awesome Twist Javier Castellano 114

miss_critic
Jul. 27, 2007, 08:21 AM
Glimmerglass, where did you see SS's workout? I would be very happy to see this!

Glimmerglass
Jul. 27, 2007, 09:20 AM
Glimmerglass, where did you see SS's workout? I would be very happy to see this!

TVG cameras captured the workout which they aired a few times. Speed wise it was only ranked 31st of 33 moves at the distance (http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/racing-news/2007/July/26/Street-Sense-puts-in-easy-work-at-Saratoga.aspx) which was per the plan.

Regarding the Cordero bobbleheads - there was 30,000 total but it was a split of 27,000 wearing red-and-white silks and 3,000 attired in purple and gold.

"Special editions delight spinners and put a new ticketing system to test" (http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?category=SPORTS&storyID=609572&BCCode=&newsdate=7/27/2007):

The limited number of the purple bobbleheads quickly turned them into prized possessions at the racetrack. When Rose Thew, 60, of Saratoga Springs, pulled hers out of the box to show it off, memorabilia dealer Glenn Smith offered her $50. After a brief conference with her daughter, Thew countered with $100 and Smith declined.

Looks like he would have overpaid (ebay example) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ANGEL-CORDERO-Bobblehead-Purple-LimitedEdition-Saratoga_W0QQitemZ250147621430QQihZ015QQcategoryZ3 1664QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Glimmerglass
Jul. 27, 2007, 12:58 PM
Invasor won this last year by nose over sun King who returns again now winless in four starts. Expect Papi Chullo, who is looking brilliant, to be one of the favs.

Regarding Papi Chullo:

AP 7-27-07 "Papi Chullo seeks first Grade 1 win; Owner, trainer excited about Whitney Handicap" (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/othersports/325341_hossplug27.html)

In 2004, Papi Chullo was sent on a bizarre career path. His first start came in a stakes race rather than the traditional maiden race -- he finished fourth in the 2004 Gold Rush Stakes. He also ran in the Sham, the Fountain of Youth and the Florida Derby before recording his first victory -- in a maiden race. Papi Chullo won three of his first 17 races, having run at 13 tracks in eight states, under 11 different jockeys and for five different trainers.

Familiar surroundings, says Contessa, may be the key to the turnaround.

"He likes going home to the same stall every night, for a change," Contessa said. "He's been bounced from track to track to track. I believe the horse needed some regularity in his life -- the same training regime, vitamin program, feeding program, the same exercise rider."

It slooks like the regularity is paying off quite weel, since purchased for $150k a couple months ago and moved to Contessa's barn:

.. Papi Chullo has reeled off two eye-opening wins, a 7 1/4-length romp in a 1 1/16-mile allowance race at Belmont on May 4 and a remarkable five-length victory in the Birdstone Stakes on June 9 against graded-stakes winners Hesanoldsalt and A.P. Arrow.

Glimmerglass
Jul. 27, 2007, 03:39 PM
Wow - an old name from the past of a horse that "once was a contenda" ...

Race 3 at 7 furlongs with a field of 6 (http://www.drf.com/entries/27/eSAR27.html?rn=604069#3)

Although I think there are a couple of late scratches, it is Master of Disaster once the next "it" horse from DelPark

Looking back to 2005 when you could buy his Horse Hat (http://www.horsehats.com/MasterOfDisaster.html)

Linny
Jul. 27, 2007, 11:14 PM
The overnight for Sunday is out and Steet Sense's name is on it, looks like he's a go for the Dandy.

Glimmerglass
Jul. 28, 2007, 12:54 AM
The overnight for Sunday is out and Steet Sense's name is on it, looks like he's a go for the Dandy.

Sunday has a 60% chance of rains - which will make little Cooperstown and the Baseball Hall of Fame induction of Cal Ripken, Jr and an expected 60,000 fans an utter mess - but Street Sense has run in the mud before

Race #9 Sunday July 29 - 5:20 EST (http://www.drf.com/entries/29/eSAR29.html?rn=777610#9)
Grade 2 Jim Dandy Stakes at 1 1/8 mi

PP Horse (Jockey, Weight)
1 Sightseeing (Edgar Prado, 121)
2 Flashstorm (Shaun Bridgmohan, 115)
3 Street Sense (Calvin Borel, 123)
4 Cowtown Cat (Garrett Gomez, 121)
5 Tiz Wonderful (John Velazquez, 119)
6 C P West (Cornelio Velasquez, 115)

My guess would be a finish of win, place, show of #3, #1, #5 with maybe #6 Zito's C P West actually maybe getting 3rd ...

Blueshadow
Jul. 28, 2007, 12:59 AM
Lucky you to be there for this ! I'll be watching from Del Mar.. maybe looking for a small exacta box..

Glimmerglass
Jul. 28, 2007, 01:03 AM
Wow - an old name from the past of a horse that "once was a contenda" ... it is Master of Disaster once the next "it" horse from DelPark

Looking back to 2005 when you could buy his Horse Hat (http://www.horsehats.com/MasterOfDisaster.html)

"Master" even with Ramone up was deadlast in the field of 4. The allowance was won by big Preakness (2006) contender Like Now who is trying to make a comeback - this was his first win since March 2006 (and first race since July '06) when he won the Gotham Stakes (G3) in prep for the Triple Crown chase ...

Glimmerglass
Jul. 28, 2007, 01:13 AM
Breeders' Cup Challenge from Saratoga

Saturday, July 28, 4 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. EASTERN on ABC Sports

Featuring live - in order of airing:

Grade 1 $750,000 Whitney Handicap (http://www.ntra.com/races.aspx?id=25231&section=races)
Grade 1 $250,000 Go For Wand Handicap (http://www.ntra.com/races.aspx?id=25234&section=races) (distaff)
Grade 2 $250,000 Alfred G. Vanderbilt Handicap (Sprint) (http://www.ntra.com/races.aspx?id=25233&section=races)
Grade 1 $500,000 Diana Stakes (http://www.ntra.com/races.aspx?id=25232&section=races) (F/M turf)

Glimmerglass
Jul. 28, 2007, 06:08 PM
Brilliant effort by Lawyer Ron to not only win the Whitney Handicap (Grade 1) and secure a slot in the 2007 Breeders' Cup Classic, but destory the stakes and track record at 1 1/8 miles for Saratoga!

Glimmerglass
Jul. 28, 2007, 06:12 PM
For the record this was a track record repeat:

Lawyer Ron won the 80th running of the $750,000 Whitney Handicap in a track record time of 1 minute, 46 3/5 seconds at Saratoga Race Course on Saturday afternoon.

Trainer Todd Pletcher and jockey John Velazquez earned their second victory in the Whitney, run for thoroughbreds 3 years and older at 1 1/8 mile. Their first triumph came in 2002 with Left Bank, who shared the previous track record at 1:47

holmes
Jul. 28, 2007, 08:37 PM
I went over to Street Senses Barn today - he looks awesome.

Barnfairy
Jul. 28, 2007, 11:40 PM
Lawyer Ron: He sure had the stuff today. Nicely ridden, too. Well done.

Ginger Punch: What a classy mare she is. No trouble with the mile & 1/8th today; had the feeling she could have gone on. Lovely full tail, too, if I may say so.

And was that Plaid I saw all braided up in the paddock? Nice touch.

Pity I won't be able to watch Street Sense et al tomorrow. :sigh:

miss_critic
Jul. 29, 2007, 02:25 AM
I know this is completely irrelevant to racing, but I wish they would take that braid out of Lawyer Ron's forelock. It looks retarded. He is much more handsome without it. Just my opinion.

I bet the connections of the real real Lawyer Ron were pretty happy today. However, I think the 3 yr olds might have a chance in the Classic division this year.

Hunglikeastallion-Please tell what you saw!!!!!! Has he filled out some? I imagine him to be a pretty cool charachter.

Glimmerglass
Jul. 29, 2007, 09:08 AM
An interesting observation with Lawyer Ron's equipment: draw reins

Steeplechase Times/Saratoga Special 7-29-07 "Lawyer Ron sets track mark in Whitney" (http://www.st-publishing.com/special/viewstory1.php?id=338)

excerpt

“We went to the draw reins, basically, from Day One. That was the first step, getting his gallops in control. With the draw reins, he’s almost kind to gallop,” Pletcher said. “It’s been a work in progress, it’s been a combination of things but most importantly it’s time and maturation of the horse. Repetition, doing things over and over.”

Glimmerglass
Jul. 29, 2007, 09:22 AM
Saratoga is suffering from a labor shortage largely tied to immigration and delays with processing visas ...

Times Union 7-29-07 " Visa rules leave horses without helpers" (http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?category=SPORTS&storyID=610031&BCCode=HOME&newsdate=7/29/2007)

Excerpt

It also led to a decrease -- for the first time in memory -- in the number of horses stabled April through June at the Spa. The number dropped some 12 percent from 2006, the New York Racing Association said. The barns generally employ one worker for every two horses, but that ratio increased to one for every three or four horses this spring, according to trainers.

"I've never seen anything like this at the racetrack, in terms of lack of workers," said Nick Caras, activities coordinator for backstretch recreation at the NYRA track. "I've seen workers without horses, but never horses without the worker."

rcloisonne
Jul. 29, 2007, 09:44 AM
While he didn't do very well in the Whitney, Magna Graduate is one handsome devil! Where's the drooling smilie?

http://www.finalturngallery.com/g2/v/DeborahKralPhotography/saratoga/07_Magnagrauate00_dk.jpg.html

Glimmerglass
Jul. 29, 2007, 10:11 AM
A record for Lawyer Ron and the Whitney .. or not? The Daily Racing Form questions the timing

DRF 7-29-07 "A track-record Whitney -- or was it?" (http://www.drf.com/news/article/87120.html)

excerpt

"We're going to take a look at it," said NYRA chairman Steve Duncker. "We don't want to establish a major track record like this by mistake."

Lawyer Ron supposedly smashed the mark of 1:47 set by Tri Jet in the pre-100ths days of 1974 and equalled by Left Bank's 1:47.04 in the 2002 Whitney. The clocking immediately seemed odd to those who had just watched Ginger Punch win the Grade 1 Go For Wand by 6 widening lengths in 1:49.19 (2.55 seconds slower) only 31 minutes earlier.

holmes
Jul. 29, 2007, 03:50 PM
Yesterday no one was allowed within 10 feet of him, Carl's instructions - my friend works for them and on Monday I will get my picture taken with him.

Look at this great picture:
http://www.finalturngallery.com/g2/v/apvalspictures/saratoga2007/lamenina.jpg.html

Glimmerglass
Jul. 29, 2007, 04:43 PM
Calvin's remarks to the TVG reporter: "Street Sense should win by daylight and with class today".

He know enough not to make claims like that without backing them up so look for Street Sense to be damn hungry in today's Jim Dandy.

miss_critic
Jul. 29, 2007, 04:58 PM
God I wish I had TVG. I've been watching all the races on the NYRA site. So far I haven't noticed anybody come from far back. But I sure hope SS can!

miss_critic
Jul. 29, 2007, 05:08 PM
Those pictures are great. This one is funny too. http://www.finalturngallery.com/g2/v/apvalspictures/saratoga2007/nofunnybiz.jpg.html

Does anybody know why SS sometimes works with a noseband and sometimes without?

Glimmerglass
Jul. 29, 2007, 05:29 PM
Jim Dandy:

Street Sense, although required a lot of whip, takes the win with Zito's C.P. West holding tough and taking second behind by only about 1 1/2 lengths or less.

Blacklabs
Jul. 29, 2007, 05:35 PM
Good race!! Calvin was very touching.

Why is Kathy Lee Gifford and Frank Gifford giving out the Jim Dandy award?

miss_critic
Jul. 29, 2007, 06:10 PM
Whew. I'm dizzy from starring so hard at that little screen! SS did apear to loof after he passed CP-but I think he did good compared to how the other races panned out.

holmes
Jul. 29, 2007, 08:03 PM
He did enough - but it sure took a lot of work. The Travers should be interesting, especially is R2R is there.

Glimmerglass
Jul. 29, 2007, 10:09 PM
The Travers should be interesting, especially is R2R is there.

Nope.

She is doing the Alabama instead there at Spa. The Travers has been off the table for a few weeks per Pletcher, especially so when she missed Coaching Club of America race at Belmont.

it should be interesting for Street Sense depending how the Haskell Invitational goes for Curlin and the rest of the field that looks rather like the Preakness field.

If Curlin looks like a monster out of that race then Street Sense will be in big trouble. He didn't look as "wow" as I expected him in the Jim Dandy however much of that was due to Calvin not getting the space on the rail as he wanted.

Link to the race replay of the Jim Dandy (Grade 2) (http://racing.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=39958) found in this article.

Barnfairy
Jul. 29, 2007, 10:44 PM
Just watched the replay of the Jim Dandy: did not look easy for SS...but a win is a win.

Glimmerglass
Jul. 30, 2007, 09:43 AM
Maybe Calvin was just holding him back?

Times Union 7-30-07 "Street Sense showered with love" (http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=610165&category=SPORTS&BCCode=HOME&newsdate=7/30/2007)

"The time off did him great," Borel said. "He finished great and I still had some horse. Horses like him come once in a lifetime. He was just awesome today."

A crowd announced at 46,876 on a baseball cap giveaway day was just as thrilled to see Street Sense, who became the first Kentucky Derby winner to run at Saratoga in the same year he won the Derby since Thunder Gulch won the 1995 Travers.

Before the race, fans stood three and four deep behind the fence and applauded Street Sense when he was led into the paddock.

Wearing the yellow-and-blue silks of owner James Tafel, Borel got an equally enthusiastic reception when he mounted the dark bay colt. Borel is riding full-time at Saratoga for the first time to be closer to Street Sense, who is stabled here.

"I thought that was great," Street Sense trainer Carl Nafzger said of the crowd reaction. "What was even greater was the way (Street Sense) responded to it. As soon as he heard the fans, he got happier. He knew he wasn't going back to the barn for schooling again."

Nice to see sports fans giving a warm welcome and turning out in drove just as they did an hour away to the west in the Village of Cooperstown where 1,800 residents swelled to 75,000 on Sunday (http://www.thedailystar.com/news/stories/2007/07/30/jphof07291.html) although I digress ...

Nick Zito was clearly happy as he had underdogs who took 2nd place finishes in both the Whitney [Wanderin Boy, send off at 29-1] and Jim Dandy [CP West]

While clearly Tiz Wonderful still isn't ready for this level of action, he finished last, and will not/should not be pointed the Travers afterall.

Comments from Carl suggest that Street Sense was just getting back into the groove and the Travers will be another showcase for him, per the Daily Racing Form (http://www.ntra.com/content.aspx?type=news&id=26894):

Nafzger said he expects to see Street Sense improve off his performance in the Jim Dandy.

"We should see a better horse in the Travers," said Nafzger. "He’ll have more fitness and a run over the track which is a big advantage. We had all the horse we needed for today and I'm glad this race was a mile and one-eighth. I thought C P West ran a hell of a race. He wouldn't let us go by without a fight and I'm sure we'll see him again in the Travers."

holmes
Jul. 30, 2007, 12:15 PM
She is doing the Alabama instead there at Spa. The Travers has been off the table for a few weeks per Pletcher, especially so when she missed Coaching Club of America race at Belmont.

Actually she unlikely to come here at all - her next stop will be in KY with the boys. ;) ;)

Glimmerglass
Jul. 30, 2007, 12:31 PM
Actually she unlikely to come here at all - her next stop will be in KY with the boys. ;) ;)

That would be truly big news regarding Rags to Riches.

The NYRA folks would be hating life if she doesn't run at Spa.

Per "her" last blog entry from Aug 27th (http://www.ntra.com/blog.aspx?blogid=10&year=2007&month=7&day=27)

"The results of the exam will be reviewed by Dr. Paul Thorpe, the attending veterinarian for owners Michael Tabor and Derrick Smith, said Pletcher. “Dr. Thorpe will be flying in from Ireland, tomorrow to go over the results with us. If everything checks out well she could still make the Alabama.”

Missing two big races and then taking on the boys in Kentucky seems questionable.

CrzyCorgi
Jul. 30, 2007, 12:47 PM
Very impressed with the stakes wins at Saratoga this weekend.... I don't think Street Sense was struggling. I think Calvin pushed him just enough to win that race. I think from the interviews I heard on TVG that they are planning on a BIG run in the Travers. Maybe their justing saving him up for the REALLY big day! LOL Also Lawyer Ron--wow was I impressed. I've never been big on him, but it looks like Todd Pletcher has him running much better than what I saw in his last races!! Congrats to all~~~

~Darci~

holmes
Jul. 30, 2007, 12:55 PM
Missing two big races and then taking on the boys in Kentucky seems questionable.

You misunderstood -

ShowMeTheGlory
Jul. 30, 2007, 01:09 PM
You think they are going to retire her!!??:confused::mad:

Barnfairy
Jul. 30, 2007, 01:45 PM
R2R got the okay to resume training and reportedly will still head to Saratoga: Rags to Riches OK; Returns to Training (http://racing.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=39972)

Glimmerglass
Jul. 30, 2007, 02:38 PM
You think they are going to retire her!!??:confused::mad:

Nah! She is going to be shipped to Saratoga Tuesday morning (see link Barnfairly provided) after her workout today [likely this morning] and they'll see if she is still in the game for the Alabama Stakes. Todd is being very cautious with his words about her being ready for that race in a couple of weeks.

“The Alabama is a possibility,” Pletcher said, adding he would be at Belmont to supervise the gallop. “I need to watch her train for the next week and obviously how she breezes. All of that is going to be critical in terms of what has become a tight schedule. I'll play that by ear for the remainder of the week and go from there.”

He should just get all the big pressure off his back by racing both the Green Monkey and 'Rags' on the same day. With so much visibility on both it can't be a lot of fun with either in your barn vs. a bit overlooked Lawyer Ron who just does his job without much fuss.

miss_critic
Jul. 30, 2007, 08:04 PM
I wonder how Hard Spun is doing. Haven't heard much on him lately. The Haskell looks to be shaping up into a mighty fine race. If Mnmth is playing out like they are saying, it might actually be in HS's favor. Whether or not he is good enough for Curlin or SS, it sure would be nice to see him win again. He's such a nice horse. Anybody hear Pino laugh when Jerry asked him about riding HS again? It was funny.

I suppose a new thread should be started since this isn't really Saratoga related!

Glimmerglass
Jul. 31, 2007, 09:06 AM
A record for Lawyer Ron and the Whitney .. or not? The Daily Racing Form questions the timing

DRF 7-29-07 "A track-record Whitney -- or was it?" (http://www.drf.com/news/article/87120.html)

The record time is correct

A NYRA and media review on Monday showed Lawyer Ron's record time of 1:46.64 in the Whitney Handicap on Saturday was in fact accurate.

The Beyer speed fig for the effort was a 116 which is actually rather low IMHO.

Texarkana
Jul. 31, 2007, 02:37 PM
The record time is correct

The Beyer speed fig for the effort was a 116 which is actually rather low IMHO.

How does that work-- setting a track record with such an "average" Beyer (for a G1)? It didn't seem like the surface was abnormally fast Saturday. I guess no speed figure is perfect.

Regardless, I'm glad Lawyer Ron's time held up.

Blacklabs
Jul. 31, 2007, 02:46 PM
She's on her way, might even be there by now.

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=610401&category=SARASEASON&BCCode=&newsdate=7/31/2007

Glimmerglass
Jul. 31, 2007, 03:43 PM
How does that work-- setting a track record with such an "average" Beyer (for a G1)? It didn't seem like the surface was abnormally fast Saturday. I guess no speed figure is perfect.

Regardless, I'm glad Lawyer Ron's time held up.

Likewise I'm still scratching my head about the low Beyer fig assignment. Not sure if it goes to the DRF's opinion of the time being wrong or what.

Sports Illustrated 7-31-07 "After further review ..." (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/more/07/31/lawyerron.whitney.ap/)

From The BloodHorse who always like to get a friendly jab at competitor the DRF who used the phrase "out of whack" in regards to NYRA's clocks:

But for now, it’s all about Street Sense, and let’s not forget Lawyer Ron, whose time in the Whitney Handicap (gr. I) was so out of whack with the other times over the weekend, the New York Racing Association studied it back and forth and concluded the colt’s track-record time of 1:46.64 was correct, putting him in a different time zone than the other horses that competed during those two days.

So, apparently, the older horse division is alive and well, and there is a worthy foe with the speed and brilliance to compete with the 3-year-olds. Now, if only Lava Man will attempt one final raid back East, we should have an exciting match-up of generations in the Breeders’ Cup Classic - Powered by Dodge (gr. I).

Barnfairy
Jul. 31, 2007, 03:49 PM
Likewise I'm still scratching my head about the low Beyer fig assignment. Not sure if it goes to the DRF's opinion of the time being wrong or what.
Is that 116 figure for LR before or after the track variant has been deducted? The "raw" figure could be much higher before a variant of 10 or 20 points is removed...

Glimmerglass
Jul. 31, 2007, 03:55 PM
Is that 116 figure for LR before or after the track variant has been deducted? The "raw" figure could be much higher before a variant of 10 or 20 points is removed...

You are correct with the variant factor

Steven Crist of the DRF cites why it was assigned before the offical time was upheld (http://horseracing.sportsline.com/cbs/headlines/showarticle.aspx?articleId=20593):

On the Beyer Speed Figure scale, Ginger Punch earned a raw figure of 114. In her two previous starts, she had earned Beyers of 104 and 103 and this appeared to be a roughly similar performance, deserving of a variant of around -10 that would have given her a final Beyer of 104. But Lawyer Ron's raw figure in the Whitney was an astronomical 138, and applying a variant of -10 again would give him an implausible figure of 128, a level reached only by Ghostzapper in the last decade.

Awarding Lawyer Ron a 128 would mean giving runner-up Wanderin Boy, who had never exceeded a figure of 107 except at Keeneland (where he earned figures of 110 and 113 when that track was in its pre-Polytrack inside-speed heyday), a figure of nearly 120. Diamond Stripes, with consistent figures of 104-105-106-105 in his last four starts, would get about a 117.

Glimmerglass
Jul. 31, 2007, 04:01 PM
Per Crist they won't award (http://cristblog.drf.com/crist/2007/07/dark-day-1.html#more) [Lawyer Ron] a 123 speed figure and the Beyer Associates are sticking with the wrong-headed 116. Plus some comments on the challenge to the NYRA figure:

No one was trying to denigrate Lawyer Ron, NYRA or thoroughbred racing in general by saying that the times of Saturday's races did not fit together, and identical questions would have been raised had the winner been any other horse in the field. And I find nothing sacrilegious about questioning a timing system where, as several posters noted, a certifiably inaccurate first quarter of 21 and change was posted during the running of the Diana 90 minutes earlier in the day.

One thing the flap illustrates, not that additional impetus was needed, is the need for NYRA to install the Trakus system as soon as it can.

I don't see any issue in questioning the time but when a horse utterly shatters a record for the distance at Saratoga and garners just a 116 something is rotten in Denmark ;)

Lord Helpus
Jul. 31, 2007, 09:23 PM
I know I'm late to the party but I have to put in a big old BOO-YAH! for Diabolical and his win in the Alfred Vanderbuilt (GII) on Sat.

We bred him and still own the mare. His 2 year old half brother Sherman (The Shermanator) is sitting outside my window all sunburnt and sassy, finally on the downhill side of a horrible and life threatening bout of sinking and rotating founder.

So, I was yelling and screaming when Diabolical hit the lead and pulled away from Attila's Storm.

Diabolical has his ticket to the BC and so do I!!!!!

His next race is the Vosburgh GI at Belmont. If you are watching the race, make sure you cheer him home. He is (IMHO :D) the best 6f horse in the country.

Texarkana
Jul. 31, 2007, 09:42 PM
I know I'm late to the party but I have to put in a big old BOO-YAH! for Diabolical and his win in the Alfred Vanderbuilt (GII) on Sat.

We bred him and still own the mare. His 2 year old half brother Sherman (The Shermanator) is sitting outside my window all sunburnt and sassy, finally on the downhill side of a horrible and life threatening bout of sinking and rotating founder.

So, I was yelling and screaming when Diabolical hit the lead and pulled away from Attila's Storm.

Diabolical has his ticket to the BC and so do I!!!!!

His next race is the Vosburgh GI at Belmont. If you are watching the race, make sure you cheer him home. He is (IMHO :D) the best 6f horse in the country.

I'm glad to hear the Shermanator is doing better! I remember reading his story on the 2 year old thread on SHB back in the days when we could brag...

Linny
Jul. 31, 2007, 10:32 PM

Congrats! Did I see his younger sib, Mt Orient, entered to go at SAR either Wed, or THU?
I can't recall which.

I love Diabolical, he's as honest as they come and runs over anything.

Blacklabs
Aug. 1, 2007, 07:47 AM
Great picture of Diabolical on his win from the Albany Times Union, below is link and pictures are in the right corner under photos of Sartaoga

http://www.timesunion.com/saratoga/

Glimmerglass
Aug. 1, 2007, 01:41 PM
Perhaps it is just me but does anyone else who is from or near the Saratoga area (Central NY for that matter) chuckle when folks describe it as being "up in the mountains"? I tend to see this all the time in print or even comments by TVG folks. Sure the Adirondacks can be visually seen but Spa is not in the mountains. Hilly? Sure, rolling hills abound once you leave Tarrytown and go further north, but mountains? Come on, please.

You have the ranges of the Berkshires, Catskills, and Adirondacks but the former two aren't exactly the Andes and while the latter has some very high peaks you'd have to go several hours north of Saratoga to find yourself in need of a carabiner ;)

ravenclaw
Aug. 1, 2007, 02:13 PM
Is there any more news about The Green Monkey and when he might run? Has anyone seen him during morning workouts?

Blacklabs
Aug. 1, 2007, 02:17 PM
LOL-yes makes me laugh when anyone thinks north of the Tappen Z is Upstate NY.

If they said the "Foothills of the Adirondacks", I would feel better still not accurate but close, but not the "Adirondacks", do they think Saratoga is in the high peaks?

Glimmerglass
Aug. 1, 2007, 04:44 PM
Blacklabs, now Little Falls is really mountainous if you're looking up at the Burrell Overlook Mansion - :)

I wonder if there will be any impact with Bob Baffert potentially having 25 horses pointed towards Saratoga - if this article is correct in suggesting Mr. Grumpy (Ahmed Zayat) is fleeing East (http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/delmarraces//20070801-9999-1s1dmcol.html) in his snit with the DelMar folks.

Obviously with stall space being at a premium greater then platinum metal is to zinc they'll have a slim to none chance of being stabled at Saratoga. However NYRA will ship horses for free from Belmont if they stable there.

I'd be hardpressed to recall when Bob was a player at Saratoga. Sure he's had some winners (Point Given took the Travers in 2001) but he's really not a Spa kind of guy like Zito is.

Blueshadow
Aug. 1, 2007, 04:57 PM
Baffert's horses sure are performing horribly at Del Mar - he's 1-20 on polytrack, and the win the article references on Monday was on the TURF. They weren't running well on the new track at Hollywood Park either, but actually I don't think they were really running well at Santa Anita in the Spring...JMO. Good luck to them in Saratoga, but good for Del Mar people for standing up to Zayat...a zero breakdown rate so far on the new track HAS to be good for racing, even if it's not been kind to Baffert and Zayat's pockets.

Indian Charlie made me laugh the other day:

"
"Bruce Headley is STILL 0 for polytrack"

Source: Polytrack Expert Bob Bobblehead Baffert "

On the Farm
Aug. 1, 2007, 05:00 PM
You have the ranges of the Berkshires, Catskills, and Adirondacks but the former two aren't exactly the Andes and while the latter has some very high peaks you'd have to go several hours north of Saratoga to find yourself in need of a carabiner ;)

Don't tell me you'd free climb the Shawangunks?

Blacklabs
Aug. 1, 2007, 06:07 PM
Blacklabs, now Little Falls is really mountainous if you're looking up at the Burrell Overlook Mansion -

I look at that beatiful mansion everyday from my home and was it recently sold and hopefully will be getting renovations as she needs some work.

Has any one saw Rags to Riches since coming to Saratoga? If you come early in the morning can you catch in her workouts?

Interesting about coming East, all the farms around here are getting purchased very quickly by horse owners or the Amish. Great value from where they are coming from.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 1, 2007, 06:27 PM
I look at that beatiful mansion everyday from my home and was it recently sold and hopefully will getting renovation as she needs some work

A mighty nice view indeed. Short of razing the property, it couldn't it get any worse for Overlook (http://syracusethenandnow.org/Architects/Russel/Burrell_Mansion/Burrell_Mansion.htm) considering its suffering in recent years. Overlook was purportedly purchased for a very generous $750k by Pedro Benevides with unknown plans for it. Considering it was effectively looted by the prior owner via the selling off everything of value right down the door knobs it will take an equal amount to get it back into the shape it was when it operated as an Inn.

As for Rags to Riches and getting to see the workouts on the Oklahoma track (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRC8zWPtlAE), lets just say it isn't easy like it used to be.

Blacklabs
Aug. 2, 2007, 07:13 AM
She looked good yesterday.

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=610947

Glimmerglass
Aug. 2, 2007, 05:37 PM
"Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look,
He thinks too much; such men are dangerous."
- from Julius Caesar (I, ii, 194) (http://www.enotes.com/shakespeare-quotes/yond-cassius-has-lean-hungry-look)

Is this the next Da Hoss or something out of the Biblical character of Lazarus?

Shakespeare winner of Belmont's Grade 1 Turf Classic in October of 2005, had not raced since the 2005 Breeders' Cup Turf when he finished off the boards soiling his record at 6 starts 5-0-0.

So almost 2 years later your man comes back ... taking the 8th race at Saratoga a $79k 1-mile allowance race on turf (http://www.drf.com/results/02/rSAR02.html?rn=622852#8)

His trainer - Kiaran McLaughlin

The time? 1:34.14 which is three-fifths of a second off the track record in his first start in almost 2-years. Rust? What rust?

With that much go-baby-go it makes you wonder if Kiaran shouldn't have followed through with the entry [he did nominate him] of Shakespeare for Saratoga’s 23rd edition of the Grade 2, $150,000 Fourstardave at a mile and a sixteenth on the turf August 5th.

witherbee
Aug. 2, 2007, 05:46 PM
I should have posted on this thread, but started as new one. You said it better than I ever could. Fun race to watch and welcome back Shakespeare!

Alibhai's Alibar
Aug. 2, 2007, 08:34 PM
Some photos of opening weekend at The Spa (ahhhhhhhhhh):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses

I'll be periodically adding more. If anybody knows the names of horses, riders, or trainers in the photos, please let me know.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 2, 2007, 11:03 PM
BloodHorse 8-2-07 "Shakespeare Gets Second Act, Headed to Grade I Company" (http://racing.bloodhorse.com//viewstory.asp?id=40032)

“He’s a pure class act, it was just a matter of what kind of trip I was going to have,” said Gomez. “He was so kind and so professional, I was able to do what I needed to do and put him in a spot I needed to be in and take my time with him.”

“He’s ready to jump back into the grade I races,” said trainer Kiaran McLaughlin. “He’s a grade one horse. Where we go from this we’ll have to see, but the Bernard Baruch (gr. IIT) is the first thing that jumps out August 25.”

:)

Slewdledo
Aug. 2, 2007, 11:03 PM
Who on here owns a piece of El Prado Rob? He's an also-eligible for tomorrow. Best o'luck.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 3, 2007, 09:43 AM
Hey, look who has come to Saratoga: Teuflesberg!

He'll make an odd first start (IMHO) on the grass but in a sprint race. Plans to run in the Kings Bishop look dashed as he's too wound up now to wait.

DRF 8-2-07 "Teuflesberg to make turf debut in Glow" (http://www.drf.com/news/article/87230.html)

So instead of fighting the colt, Sanders has entered Teuflesberg in Saturday's $80,000 Glow, an overnight stakes for 3-year-olds scheduled for one mile over Saratoga's inner turf course.

"He needs to run," said Sanders, who is the trainer and part-owner of Teuflesberg. "He's just too sharp; he's starting to peak right now. Otherwise, we'd have to breeze him four times between here and the race, and a lot of horses get hurt working in the morning. He's never had this much time between races, and he's very hard to maintain that long."

Glimmerglass
Aug. 3, 2007, 03:37 PM
Another Triple Crown contenda but somewhat a pretenda with his up and down efforts as of late will surface at Saratoga: Nobiz Like Shobiz. Like Teuflesberg he will make his grass debut no less (http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=611279&category=SPORTS&newsdate=8/3/2007&TextPage=2)

Monday August 6th: $150,000 Grade 2 National Museum of Racing Hall of Fame at 1 1/8 miles on the turf. So named in honor of the Induction ceremonies held at 10:30 am across the street that day.

"He's doing great," assistant trainer Robin Smullen said. "He has the right pedigree there. Automatically, when you see Albert the Great, you don't think turf, but the only reason you think that is because he never ran on it."

Smullen said Nobiz Like Shobiz has trained well over the turf; he had a bullet work of :58 4/5 seconds July 23 here.

"We'll see what happens Monday," Smullen said. "It would be nice if he get a Grade I win on the grass during his career; that would give him Grade I wins on each surface."

Nobiz will be up against Ambassador (GER), Buddy’s Humor, Distorted Reality, Jazz Quest and Marcavelly

event1
Aug. 4, 2007, 12:36 AM
Hey Glimmerglass-
I just clicked on the "Oklahoma Track" video in your post and saw the video of my friends Jane and Rodrigo (almost fell off my chair)-are they friends of yours or are you a relative? PM me if you would-I don't want to hijack the thread with some BS...thanks:D

Glimmerglass
Aug. 4, 2007, 04:52 PM
Hey Glimmerglass- I just clicked on the "Oklahoma Track" video in your post and saw the video of my friends Jane and Rodrigo (almost fell off my chair)-are they friends of yours or are you a relative?

No relations or connections. I simply ran acros the video on youtube.com some time ago, but its nice to know it is a small world :)

Glimmerglass
Aug. 4, 2007, 05:00 PM
Hey, look who has come to Saratoga: Teuflesberg!

He'll make an odd first start (IMHO) on the grass but in a sprint race. Plans to run in the Kings Bishop look dashed as he's too wound up now to wait.

DRF 8-2-07 "Teuflesberg to make turf debut in Glow" (http://www.drf.com/news/article/87230.html)

Result - Teuflesberg takes 2nd (http://www.drf.com/results/04/rSAR04.html?rn=708915#3) behind Pays to Dream who paid $20.20 to win in the upset victory.

Linny
Aug. 4, 2007, 05:40 PM
Who on here owns a piece of El Prado Rob? He's an also-eligible for tomorrow. Best o'luck.

That's me. He was scratched because even if he got in, he'd have been so far outside that he'd have been caught very wide. He's doing very well and we are looking for another spot for him.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 4, 2007, 07:01 PM
Marylou Whitney's Annual Gala was held Friday (8-3) evening (http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=611611&category=SARATOGA&BCCode=HOME&newsdate=8/4/2007)

Walking is fine, she said, but standing for any length of time hurts because of a back injury that preceded the stroke. She talked about the year she lost part of her emerald necklace during her entrance to the gala.

"The guy that found it was going to give it to his girlfriend, I said, 'Here's $5,000, take care of your girlfriend,' " she said.

Whitney also talked about her horses, and playing with puppies in Alaska with Buser and his wife, Kathy Chapoton.

Video link: Capital News 9 (http://www.capitalnews9.com/content/headlines/?ArID=217733&SecID=33)

Blacklabs
Aug. 5, 2007, 05:25 PM
Two pictures taken this morning from Albany Times Union.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u291/labsblackdogs/R2R.jpg

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u291/labsblackdogs/R2R1.jpg

Glimmerglass
Aug. 6, 2007, 04:20 PM
Hard Spun, runner up in the Kentucky Derby and yesterday's Grade-1 Haskell, will not run in the Travers Stakes but will run in the undercard sprint race - The King's Bishop (G1) (http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=612049&category=&BCCode=&newsdate=8/6/2007).

Kentucky Derby runner-up Hard Spun will enter the $250,000, Grade I King's Bishop on Travers Day Aug. 25, trainer Larry Jones said Monday

Also to be found in that race Teufelsberg ;)

Glimmerglass
Aug. 6, 2007, 04:58 PM
Nobiz Like Shobiz. Monday August 6th: $150,000 Grade 2 National Museum of Racing Hall of Fame at 1 1/8 miles on the turf. So named in honor of the Induction ceremonies held at 10:30 am across the street that day.

A brilliant effort by Nobiz to take the victory and his first Turf start.

A big tip of the cap to his jockey, Cornelio Velasquez, to keep him steady and relaxed. It was hard to pull him back but the effort paid off by keeping him in it until the stretch and letting that horse just go!

Drvmb1ggl3
Aug. 6, 2007, 05:35 PM
Nice win by Nobiz on the lawn. He has matured some, but still seems a little ungenuine when sent to the front, took a lot of riding by Vasquez to keep him up till the line.

Man, I'd forgotten how tight that inner turf at Saratoga is!

Anyone know why the Darley horse was eased in the stretch?

Glimmerglass
Aug. 6, 2007, 05:55 PM
Anyone know why the Darley horse was eased in the stretch?

When that horse [Sahara Heat] was pulling up or at least backing up along the rail I really though we were going to see a mess with clipping. It was very lucky that room was found for the late runners to slide through. Agreed that Nobiz is still very much maturing.

lizathenag
Aug. 6, 2007, 06:16 PM
I think they should rename the King's Bishop the Lost in the Fog.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 6, 2007, 06:29 PM
I think they should rename the King's Bishop the Lost in the Fog.

Maybe if Harry was a bigger player or at least he shipped more runners to NY it could've been possible ...

The KING'S BISHOP is named for Craig F. Cullinan Jr.'s colt of the same name. He was purchased as a yearling for $72,000 at the Keeneland Summer sales. As a three-year-old, King's Bishop won seven of his 15 starts, including stakes victories in the Pontiac Grand Prix and Michigan Mile for earnings of $203,742.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 6, 2007, 06:56 PM
Two headlines the NYRA folks will not be danicng about and again they look at Todd Pletcher and say "Et tu, Brute?" (http://www.enotes.com/shakespeare-quotes/et-tu-brute) ...

DRf 8-6-07 "Rags to Riches will likely skip the Alabama" (http://www.drf.com/news/article/87364.html)

Meaning no Rags to Riches running before the Spa crowd ... a big blow ..

and for Todd's 1-2 punch

DRF 8-6-07 "Travers unlikely for Any Given Saturday" (http://www.drf.com/news/article/87352.html)

This despite it being somewhat customary for the Haskell winner to race in the Travers ...

As expected and only reinforced by the poor showing on Sunday, Curlin will not race at Saratoga but will be pointed towards the Jockey Club Gold Cup (Sept. 30 ) at Belmont before the BCC on Octover 27th back at Monmouth.

Worth pointing out: if Street Sense romps in the Travers - as is very likely - on top of the Jim Dandy victory, then he very well could cinch 3-yr old HOTY.

miss_critic
Aug. 6, 2007, 08:47 PM
And if you scroll down in the Rags article posted by Glimmerglass, you'll see that Matz was on par questioning Chelokee. He is out for the year.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 7, 2007, 09:47 AM
Not so good, the 38 Special song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMxqPRdR36I&mode=related&search=) of Hold on loosely (but don't let go) comes to mind :D

From Tuesday's edition of the Times Union (http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?category=FRONTPG&storyID=612225&BCCode=HOME&newsdate=8/7/2007):

Velazquez's bad luck

Jockey John Velazquez's tough luck continued when he was unseated by even-money favorite Phone Home (
"http://timesunion.com/shared/graphics/newsdb/070807phonehome.jpg") coming out of the gate.

The stewards determined Velazquez was unprepared when the gate opened. The horse was declared a non-starter, and bets on him were refunded.

It's the third time Velazquez has been thrown from a horse this meet. He walked off unassisted.

ravenclaw
Aug. 7, 2007, 09:50 AM
I'm glad Hard Spun will go in the King's Bishop instead of the Travers. He is such a trier and I would like to see him get another win. I think this is more likely at 7 furlongs than 1 1/4 miles.

With Any Given Saturday, Curlin, and Hard Spun out of the Travers, is there any chance Todd Pletcher might put Rags to Riches in the Travers? The distance wouldn't be a problem and after the Haskell, the Travers field is looking like it will be a lot smaller.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 7, 2007, 10:50 AM
With Any Given Saturday, Curlin, and Hard Spun out of the Travers, is there any chance Todd Pletcher might put Rags to Riches in the Travers?

My guess is that chance is less then 0%. Todd is skipping the Grade 1 Alabama Stakes (for fillies only) for reasons that she isn't entirely back into her schedule quite yet. It would be a delightful shock (but beyond remote) to throw a curve like that with a Travers entry.

I'm sure the NYRA folks are going to be begging him to look at it. Again I think it is in their interest to round up some money for a bonus if she did race and win it. Otherwise there is no incentive to put her up against Street Sense for $1M when he could've raced in the Alabama for $1M against a field not nearly as tough as Street Sense.

The last entry in "her" blog is August 2nd (http://www.ntra.com/blog.aspx?blogid=10) and it was more about her hanging out with her new stable pony, Thunder Chicken.

JER
Aug. 7, 2007, 08:18 PM
And today, Nobiz wins on the turf. (http://www.blood-horse.com/viewstory.asp?id=40097)

Glimmerglass
Aug. 7, 2007, 08:44 PM
And today, Nobiz wins on the turf. (http://www.blood-horse.com/viewstory.asp?id=40097)

psst ...yesterday ... to coincide with the induction in the so-named turf race ;) Today (Tue) is the dark day on the schedule

Drvmb1ggl3
Aug. 7, 2007, 08:47 PM

Actually Jer, that was yesterday.
You must have missed the 8 page thread on it, full of in depth analysis of the race, critiques of Velasquez's ride, posted interviews with Barclay and Robin, and pages of musings on where he'll go from here (stay on the lawn? can he stretch out to 12f? is he really a Turf Miler in disguise? Perhaps a suprise shot at the QEII at Ascot is on the cards??).
You know, the usual stuff you see on the Racing forum.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 7, 2007, 09:06 PM
Perhaps a suprise shot at the QEII at Ascot is on the cards?

Surely you tease us, Drvmb1ggl3, with such possibilities!

Tagg did make the remark that like Showing Up (the horse the Barbaro fans and even Jacksons (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isi9QdymHY0&mode=related&search=) seem to ignore) Nobiz very well might just go out to Cali and race in the Hollywood Derby (G1) in December. I doubt he'll surface for the Breeders' Cup festivities which is fine.

JER
Aug. 7, 2007, 09:07 PM
This is funny. I thought today was the 6th.

Which means I missed my sister's birthday. Egads. I'm an equally failed racing fan and sibling.

I guess I'll go stick to talking about retired racehorses, like Teofilo, but I guess I missed that ad nauseum discussion as well.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 8, 2007, 03:22 PM
Interesting .. reconfirming what we knew about not running but ..could the filly, Panty Raid, run in the Travers?

Doubtful but at least there is a sliver of hope ;) At least, Todd, toss us dogs a bone with running The Green Monkey, please!

Times Union 8-8-07 "Haskell winner out of Travers ; Pletcher stars bypassing Saratoga" (http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=612582&category=&BCCode=&newsdate=8/8/2007)

Trainer Todd Pletcher said he was ``99 percent sure'' that Any Given Saturday next will race in the Grade II Brooklyn Handicap at Belmont Park on Sept. 22. That race, with a $150,000 purse, is run at 1 1/8 miles.

``(The Travers) is just too close,'' Pletcher said this morning outside his barn at the Oklahoma Training Track. ``Our main focus is on the Breeders' Cup Classic (Oct. 27 at Monmouth). The Brooklyn gives him like five weeks to the Breeders' Cup, and I think that is a good setup.''

Any Given Saturday's absence most likely will leave Pletcher without a starter in the Travers.

``It's looking sort of doubtful,'' said Pletcher, who won the Travers with Flower Alley in 2005 and was second last year with Bluegrass Cat.

Pletcher said he will nominate horses for the Travers, Saratoga's biggest race, but doubts any of them will go. He said he will nominate Any Given Saturday, Cowtown Cat and Sam P. in addition to fillies Rags to Riches, Octave and Panty Raid.

It also is very doubtful Belmont winner Rags to Riches will run in the $600,000 Alabama a week from Saturday. Pletcher said he is pointing Rags to Riches to either the $300,000 Ruffian on Sept. 8 or the $250,000 Gazelle on Sept. 15.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 8, 2007, 03:38 PM
Dear Green Monkey,

I know how it is as I cost a lot too for my owners. $4.6 million at the Keeneland Yearling Sale (Sep 2006) but Mr. Bob Baffert was kind enough to get me to the races at Saratoga for my first start. I guess my owner was tired of the West Coast and I was kinda board anyhow there where the surf meets the turf. Like your workouts they said I was slow too but I think it was that rubbery ground.

Anywho, I just won this afternoon a $62,000 maiden special weight race (http://www.drf.com/results/08/rSAR08.html?rn=334069#2)! I think that is pretty good as I didn't see another horse near me when I crossed the finish line. The rest were almost 12 lengths back which is great as I knew I would get back to the barn before them for an extra share of the sweet feed.

Don't worry pal, I know you'll get your shot too.

Your friend,
Maimonides (http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=40125)

Calico
Aug. 8, 2007, 05:57 PM
Haha! Is the Green Monkey even still at Saratoga?

But, this, "I guess I'll go stick to talking about retired racehorses, like Teofilo...."

Seriously, did Teofilo retire? Oh no.

Drvmb1ggl3
Aug. 8, 2007, 07:19 PM
But, this, "I guess I'll go stick to talking about retired racehorses, like Teofilo...."

Seriously, did Teofilo retire? Oh no.

Yes, and sad indeed that we didn't get to see him race as a 3yo, as he looked like the second coming of Nijinsky.

The interesting part of it all is Jim Bolger, his trainer and owner, will retain ownership, but he will stand at Darley's Kildangan Stud. Interesting on two counts, that Coolmore didn't get him, and that Darley have now got their hands on a second Coolmore sired stallion/racehorse of the year (Derby winner Authorised, whom they purchased, being the first). So there's definitely somewhat of a softening in the boycott.

Linny
Aug. 8, 2007, 08:43 PM
I saw Maimonides in the paddock and wasn't overly impressed with his looks. Goes to show what I know. Of course he came wth a string of bullet works so he figured, but he wouldn't win a beauty contest.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 8, 2007, 11:49 PM
On "Funny Cide Day" at Spa - where Funny Cide will actually lead the post parade [alas in the western saddle] for the fourth race, a maiden event for New York-breds at seven furlongs - his old chum will be racing: Evening Attire!

Had Funny Cide not been retired, he would have been eligible to run in Friday's fifth race against his old friend Evening Attire. Friday's fifth race is a classified allowance race worth $79,000 that could easily be a graded stakes.

In 2004, Evening Attire beat Funny Cide in the now-defunct Saratoga Breeders' Cup. Overall, Evening Attire is 5 for 10 at Saratoga, and despite being a 9-year-old, he won the Stymie Handicap in March.

"He loves it up here," said trainer Pat Kelly. "He's been leaning on [exercise rider Danny Vogt] pretty good. You don't know he's 9 years old. He goes crazy in the afternoon when he hears the races, He jumps, he kicks, he's worse than the babies."

A lot of characters we've grown to know over the years are in this one!

Fri 5th Race (3:08 EST) include (http://www.drf.com/entries/10/eSAR10.html?rn=188407#5) Hesanoldsalt, Malibu Moonshine, Student Council, and Minister's Bid.

For those who forgot, last year Minister's Bid finished 2nd to Bernardini in the 2006 Jim Dandy - in what was just his 3rd career start! The Bid name link comes from him being by Deputy Minister out of Princess Pietrina (by Spectacular Bid).

Calico
Aug. 9, 2007, 09:52 AM
"The interesting part of it all is Jim Bolger, his trainer and owner, will retain ownership, but he will stand at Darley's Kildangan Stud."

Didn't Darley make a similar arrangement with Jim Tafel and Street Sense? I recollect something about Darley purchasing SS's breeding rights, but Tafel would retain ownership of the horse?

Too bad about Teofilo, he was FAST.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 10, 2007, 09:05 AM
A nice article from the Times Union today regarding the 9-yr old warrior, Evening Attire, and his similarities to the late uber beloved Saratoga favorite, Fourstardave.

Times Union 8-10-07 "Spa fit for Evening Attire; "Horse for the course" fares better here than at any other track" (http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=613080&category=SPORTS&BCCode=HOME&newsdate=8/10/2007)

"He just likes it up here," said Mary Grant, co-owner of Evening Attire. "There's something about it, I don't know."

He's won 50 percent of his races at Saratoga, 17 percent (8-for-48) everywhere else, which continues a tradition of thoroughbreds who seem to run better at Saratoga than they do at any other track.

Fourstardave and Evening Attire shared the same love of looking out the back window of their stalls, a feature that Belmont and Aqueduct don't have because of the cold.

"(Fourstardave) used to stand there all morning, watching other horses training on the Oklahoma training track," O'Brien said. "I think he was really relaxed in Saratoga. He'd almost be like a human."

And evidence again the old warriors love being near the game vs. being put out to pasture ...

Evening Attire, who broke his maiden as a juvenile at Saratoga, notices the difference. He was standing at Mill Creek Farm in Stillwater in semi-retirement last summer when his owners decided to put him in stall at Saratoga just so they could say he'd spent a seventh straight year at the Spa.

Evening Attire reacted as soon as he got off the van in front of Patrick Kelly's barn.

He began bellowing, went straight into his stall and rolled around in the hay.

"They couldn't control him," said Joe Grant, Mary's husband. "He was just so happy."

Glimmerglass
Aug. 10, 2007, 03:20 PM
Fri 5th Race (3:08 EST) include (http://www.drf.com/entries/10/eSAR10.html?rn=188407#5) Hesanoldsalt, Malibu Moonshine, Student Council, and Minister's Bid.

For those who forgot, last year Minister's Bid finished 2nd to Bernardini in the 2006 Jim Dandy - in what was just his 3rd career start! The Bid name link comes from him being by Deputy Minister out of Princess Pietrina (by Spectacular Bid).

Solid race!

1 - Minister's Bid (by a few lengths)
2 - Hesanoldsalt
3 - Evening Attire (a distant 3rd)

Barnfairy
Aug. 10, 2007, 03:31 PM
There was just no catching Minister's Bid today and Hesanoldsalt was clearly second best.

I was glad to see Evening Attire rally down the stretch and hit the board after getting left at the break.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 10, 2007, 09:08 PM
Is CP West out of the Travers? It is possible he could still run, but Zito is suggesting he was too drained from the Jim Dandy (http://www.nypost.com/seven/08102007/sports/zitos_horse_may_sit_out_travers_sports_ed_fountain e.htm)

Zito said: "He had a tough race in the Jim Dandy. Right now, he's physically sound. I may give him a solid six-furlong work, just like before the Jim Dandy, and see how he comes out of it. If everything continues to go well, there's a chance he could go in the Travers."

So with no AGS, no Curlin, no Hard Spun, no CP West, no Rags to Riches, it makes you wonder if Todd won't step in with one of his two other stellar fillies - Octave or Panty Raid - for the Travers and the other in the Alabama? It would again generate buzz for the race and with such a small field it would be just like the Belmont with little to lose.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 12, 2007, 12:40 AM
Deja vu - yet again for John Velazquez!

From Saturday August 11 (http://www.drf.com/news/article/87546.html)

In the Saratoga Sunrise, Tommasi stumbled badly at the break, unseating jockey John Velazquez. Velazquez, who quickly got up, has been unseated five times in the first 16 days of the meet, yet is uninjured. Still, halfway through Saturday's card, Velazquez was in a four-way tie atop the jockey standings with 15 wins.

Your man is golden when he stays on the horse ... ;)

Flashback to last week when this was a topic:

Not so good, the 38 Special song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMxqPRdR36I&mode=related&search=) of Hold on loosely (but don't let go) comes to mind :D

From Tuesday's edition of the Times Union (http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?category=FRONTPG&storyID=612225&BCCode=HOME&newsdate=8/7/2007)
Velazquez's bad luck

Jockey John Velazquez's tough luck continued when he was unseated by even-money favorite Phone Home coming out of the gate.

The stewards determined Velazquez was unprepared when the gate opened. The horse was declared a non-starter, and bets on him were refunded.

It's the third time Velazquez has been thrown from a horse this meet. He walked off unassisted.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 12, 2007, 12:49 AM
1 - Minister's Bid (by a few lengths)
2 - Hesanoldsalt
3 - Evening Attire (a distant 3rd)

On the heels of Fri Aug 10th's allowance race with such strong success (a 97 Beyer fig was given to him) in winning it, Minister's Bid is now likely going to be pointed to (http://www.drf.com/news/article/87546.html) the Grade 1 $750,000 Jockey Club Gold Cup (Sep 30) at Belmont with eyes fixed on the Breeders' Cup. If he wins the JCGC then he's "in" with an auto entry via the 'win and you're in' status of that race.

Minister's Bid (7 starts 5-1-0 lifetime) is again by Deputy Minister out of Princess Pietrina (by Spectacular Bid) so it appears some of The Bid is there in more then just name alone!

Regarding his off the board effort, last year at age 3 in the 2006 Travers Stakes against Bernardini:

Prior to the Travers, assistant trainer Donna Ward said a fast work had Minister's Bid "too wound up" for the race. Further, Ward said Minister's Bid was bothered by a bee that was above his stall in the race-day security barn.

Ward said Minister's Bid got so mad that day that he had her husband, trainer John Ward, pinned up against the wall in the stall. The Wards think that Minister's Bid basically left his race in the security barn.

ravenclaw
Aug. 12, 2007, 12:49 PM
So with no AGS, no Curlin, no Hard Spun, no CP West, no Rags to Riches, it makes you wonder if Todd won't step in with one of his two other stellar fillies - Octave or Panty Raid - for the Travers and the other in the Alabama? It would again generate buzz for the race and with such a small field it would be just like the Belmont with little to lose.
Since it looks like there is going to be a small field for the Travers, maybe The Green Monkey should run in it. If only a few horses are entered, this could be his chance to hit the board and pick up a check in a Grade 1 race. :D

Glimmerglass
Aug. 12, 2007, 06:49 PM
An all time record - technically - for paid attendance ...

Final number: Saratoga Attendance Sunday August 12, 2007: 72,745

Although I suspect finding room in the grandstand was shocking not that hard to do ;) I'm always amazed at the spinners who ratchet up the paid numbers in exchange for bits of kitch like today's lawnchair giveaway with paid admission. I'm sure the true number of people just there for the race was more like 30,000.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 13, 2007, 11:49 AM
Any additional updates on Testament (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/news/story?id=2971858) the horse from the 1st race on Sunday?

miss_critic
Aug. 13, 2007, 12:20 PM
Curlin to skip Travers
http://timesunion.com/AspStories/st...sdate=8/13/2007

On the Farm
Aug. 13, 2007, 12:27 PM
Any additional updates on Testament (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/news/story?id=2971858) the horse from the 1st race on Sunday?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/more_sports/2007/08/13/2007-08-13_the_day_at_the_races-2.html

Glimmerglass
Aug. 13, 2007, 12:34 PM
Curlin to skip Travers

Fully expected as Steve was already before the Haskell pretty much saying - if you read between the lines - no way. Curlin in the Jockey Club Gold Cup up against the likes of Minister's Bid is rather an interesting scene! Minister's Bid at 4-yrs old is no slouch.

I still want to petition Todd to put one of his two fillies running in the Alabama into the Travers :)

Glimmerglass
Aug. 13, 2007, 12:43 PM
Thanks, Onthefarm, for the NY Daily News link not just for the update on Testament but for this great tid bit :D

The Green Monkey (http://www.equibase.com/static/workout/BEL081207USA-EQB.html), the record $16 million purchase, continues to prepare for his debut, breezing five furlongs in 1:00.62 at Belmont Park. The work was the seventh-fastest from 42 at the distance. There's a chance he may make his debut at the end of the Saratoga meeting. "It will be close ...," trainer Todd Pletcher said.

Hey it looks like some of the mojo is back with speed.

ravenclaw
Aug. 13, 2007, 12:44 PM
Who else (besides Street Sense) is expected to be in the Travers? :confused: We keep hearing about all the horses that won't be in the race, but not the ones who will.

Any buzz about this from the Saratoga folks?

Glimmerglass
Aug. 13, 2007, 01:11 PM
Who else (besides Street Sense) is expected to be in the Travers? :confused: We keep hearing about all the horses that won't be in the race, but not the ones who will.

An almost certain entry is Phipps Stables owned and Shug McGaughey trained, Sightseeing. He finished third to Street Sense in the Grade 2 Jim Dandy Stakes on July 29.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 13, 2007, 05:40 PM
Deja vu - yet again for John Velazquez!

From Saturday August 11 (http://www.drf.com/news/article/87546.html)
In the Saratoga Sunrise, Tommasi stumbled badly at the break, unseating jockey John Velazquez. Velazquez, who quickly got up, has been unseated five times in the first 16 days of the meet, yet is uninjured. Still, halfway through Saturday's card, Velazquez was in a four-way tie atop the jockey standings with 15 wins.
Here is the image of the cowboy-off leap (http://blogs.timesunion.com/saratogaseen/?p=361) by John V from Tommasi. The hose finished the race sans jockey ...

[equidaily.com spied the caught on camera photo in the Times Union blog from Saratoga]

Glimmerglass
Aug. 13, 2007, 09:41 PM
Nominations for the Travers:

Nominations to the $1-million Travers closed Aug. 11 with the following 24 horses listed: Any Given Saturday, C P West, Cable Boy, Cowtown Cat, Curlin, First Defence, For You Reppo, Grasshopper, Helsinki, Imawildandcrazyguy, Loose Leaf, Most Distinguished, Moyer's Pond, Octave, Panty Raid, Pavarotti, Rags to Riches, Sam P., Sightseeing, Silver Express, Street Sense, Teuflesberg, Timber Reserve, and Tiz Wonderful.

So - again to bang ths drum yet again - Todd could pull a last minute switch and move one of the two fillies into the Travers if the race comes up fairly light!

Right now if I was Todd I sure as heck would be looking to snag the Alabama with Octave and a solid piece of the action in the Travers with Panty Raid!

Glimmerglass
Aug. 15, 2007, 12:30 PM
Still holding on to that lead ! Will we see Bill Mott take the Saratoga Trainers Award for 2007 as he did for many years ago before the Pletcher machine?

As of Wednesday's start for the Saratoga meet:

Trainers <> Starts <> 1st <> 2nd <> 3rd <> Win % <> Top 3 % <> Earnings
Bill Mott :::::::: 45 starters -- 13 W -- 6 P -- 8 S <> 28.89 % Wins <>60.00 % <> $1,011,840
Todd Pletcher :: 58 starters -- 9 W -- 2 P -- 10 S <> 15.52 % Wins <> 36.21 % <> $1,116,487

miss_critic
Aug. 15, 2007, 05:49 PM
What determines Trainers Award? $ or %?

Linny
Aug. 15, 2007, 08:17 PM
Trainer and jockey awards are for most wins.

Latest at www.bloodhorse.com (http://www.bloodhorse.com) is that Any Given Saturday will become part of the ever growing Team Darley after the Breeders' Cup.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 15, 2007, 11:43 PM
If I were Hard Spun I'd be afraid, very afraid with E Z Warrior pointed to the Kings Bishop as well. Baffert's ex Del Mar runner E Z Warrior is - like the rest of the Zayat's crew - hungry for top soil under his feet. Wednesday morning he flew through a five-furlong workout in 59.53 second. Making it the fastest of 37 horses working at the distance.

E Z Warrior, with Rafael Bejarano up and blinkers on, worked in company with the 4-year-old maiden Pescatorio, a son of Storm Cat. E Z Warrior started three lengths behind Pescatorio, and finished one length in front.

Per ESPN/DRF (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/news/story?id=2976684): those also expected to run in the King's Bishop include First Defence, Hard Spun, King of the Roxy, Most Distinguished, Spin Master, and Teuflesberg.

Cowtown Cat, while nominated to the Travers but never was under any true consideration, will instead enter the $1 million Pennsylvania Derby on Sept. 3rd.

Today [Wed Aug 15th] Grade 2 Adirondack Stakes for 2-yr old fillies just was wretched for poor Phantom Income, sent off at odds of 2-1, robbed of any chance with a gate malfunction. She had won her maiden by 10-lengths, but this race she was determined a non-starter ultimately due to having been given an unfair start. Accordingly big refunds paid out by NYRA.

Per the DRF 'More Happy' scores for Baffert (http://www.drf.com/news/article/87634.html):

Phantom Income was acting up in the gate, and she leapt up in the air as starter Richard Brosseau opened the gates while an assistant starter was attempting to assist the filly and her jockey, Eibar Coa.

The New York Racing Association refunded $594,995 in wagers involving Phantom Income. In three separate incidents at this meet, NYRA has refunded more than $1.5 million.

"I don't think either the horse or the [assistant starter] was ready for us to go, and they pulled the trigger anyway," Coa said. "I couldn't really blame anybody at that point because my horse was acting up a little bit."

The video of the race availble here (http://racing.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=40255)

Glimmerglass
Aug. 16, 2007, 05:08 PM
A very solid effort by Kodiak Kowboy to win by 3 lengths the 102nd running of the Grade 2 Saratoga Special for 2-yr olds at 6 1/2 furlongs!

Pletcher's 2-yr old closer, The Roundhouse, came as expected off the pace, but spotted Kodiak too much room before he made his move past the rest of the field. The rest finished fairly close about another 2 lengths behind Roundhouse.

Considering Kodiak Kowboy was carrying 122 lbs to the 118 of the rest of the field he clearly set himself up to being significantly dominant. He's also a pretty smooth runner who rates just fine and knows when to add that kick.

Alibhai's Alibar
Aug. 16, 2007, 07:22 PM
Today [Wed Aug 15th] Grade 2 Adirondack Stakes for 2-yr old fillies just was wretched for poor Phantom Income, sent off at odds of 2-1, robbed of any chance with a gate malfunction. She had won her maiden by 10-lengths, but this race she was determined a non-starter ultimately due to having been given an unfair start. Accordingly big refunds paid out by NYRA.

Per the DRF 'More Happy' scores for Baffert (http://www.drf.com/news/article/87634.html):

The video of the race availble here (http://racing.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=40255)

Impressive reflexes on Coa's part- I was quite impressed that he stayed on!

holmes
Aug. 16, 2007, 08:59 PM
Gate malfunction? The people holding the horses this year have been awful. The filly is not great in the gate, and the starter went for it, the gate guy held on, and the horse ended up. Good job on Coa for staying on - Lucky JV was not riding ;)

Alibhai's Alibar
Aug. 16, 2007, 11:58 PM
Lucky JV was not riding ;)

I thought the same thing!

Texarkana
Aug. 17, 2007, 09:15 AM
Gate malfunction? The people holding the horses this year have been awful. The filly is not great in the gate, and the starter went for it, the gate guy held on, and the horse ended up. Good job on Coa for staying on - Lucky JV was not riding ;)

If that is indeed what happened (I'm not doubting you, I just wasn't there), that really aggravates me. I hate seeing 2 year olds getting negative experiences in the gate due to human error. Good work by Coa staying on.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 17, 2007, 11:44 AM
An article on yesterday's very professional winner Kodiak Kowboy in the Saratoga Special for 2-yr olds: Times Union 8-17 "Kowboy shows he's special" (http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?category=SPORTS&storyID=614760&BCCode=HOME&newsdate=8/17/2007)

This was his 5th career start with a record now of 5 4-0-0

excerpt

"He ran extremely well," Asmussen said. "The concern today from the inside, he had such a beautiful stalking trip in all three of his victories, just how the races unfolded. Today he overcame a little bit. When he found his spot, he punched right through. I think the final time (1 minute, 15.95 seconds) was excellent for a 2-year-old."

Sargent Seattle, the 2-1 favorite on the morning line in the Special, was scratched Thursday morning after running a 103 temperature on Wednesday. He might be nominated for the Grade I Hopeful at Saratoga on September 3rd.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 17, 2007, 12:23 PM
Did anyone see 2-yr old Secret Gypsy and her brilliant run Thursday in the 6th race, distaff maidens?

Three interesting bits:

1 - She was exceptionally hard to load into the gate (it took several minutes) and broke through the gate before the start (a la Barbaro)
2 - She traveled 5 1/2 furlongs in 1:03.26 and distanced herself from the 2nd place finisher by 6 1/4 lengths; her time broke a 6-year old track record
3 - She was purchased earlier in 2007 for a mere $10,000 as a 2-yr in training

As Tom Durkin said while she was breezing towards the finish: "She didn't want to go into the gate, but she sure went when they opened it!" :D

Go, baby, go!

holmes
Aug. 17, 2007, 01:33 PM
If that is indeed what happened (I'm not doubting you, I just wasn't there), that really aggravates me. I hate seeing 2 year olds getting negative experiences in the gate due to human error. Good work by Coa staying on.

The guys who school in the gates in the mornings are very veyr very good - not sure if they are the same in the races (I doubt it). They really will take any Tom Dick or Harry for the job, and they are unionized so if they are hired they stay!

Really sucks for Rick, he has announced her the next dream rush.

Barnfairy
Aug. 17, 2007, 01:47 PM
Come to think of it, it does seem like there's been a lot of loading / gate trouble at SAR this year.

I didn't see Secret Gypsy, but I did watch a race at SAR a few days ago in which one of the horses --part of a dual entry, I can't for the life of me remember his name-- was coming back to his first race since last August. During the post parade, TVG showed a replay of his last start one year ago, and he sure did put up an awful fuss about loading, but did rally to hit the board in the race. The commentators thought for sure that he'd have matured in the year off (and I was thinking otherwise, as most likely he hadn't had as much gate experience as the others his age who kept running). Sure enough, it was like an instant reply of his last load -- full on temper tantrum. Once again, he rallied for third too.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 17, 2007, 02:48 PM
Another brilliant effort by a maiden trained by Bill Mott - Prussian - with Kent Desormeaux up in the 4th race on Friday at 1 1/16 mi on the turf (http://www.drf.com/entries/17/eSAR17.html?rn=944406#4). Nobody was going to catch them at all, once they hit the final stretch it was see-ya! A solid 5+ length lead with no need for encouragement by Kent.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 17, 2007, 03:16 PM
Another brilliant effort by a maiden trained by Bill Mott - Prussian - with Kent Desormeaux up in the 4th race on Friday at 1 1/16 mi on the turf (http://www.drf.com/entries/17/eSAR17.html?rn=944406#4).

Deja vu in the 5th race ... this combo of trainer/jockey are on fire! ;)

Winner: Stormy West with Kent Desormeaux up and trained by Bill Mott

Glimmerglass
Aug. 17, 2007, 05:05 PM
Another brilliant effort by a maiden trained by Bill Mott - Prussian - with Kent Desormeaux up in the 4th race on Friday at 1 1/16 mi on the turf.Deja vu in the 5th race ... this combo of trainer/jockey are on fire! ;)

Winner: Stormy West with Kent Desormeaux up and trained by Bill Mott

Does anyone else see a pattern? :D

8th race - the Lake Placid Stakes (Grade 2)

Winner: Sharp Susan with Kent Desormeaux up and trained by Bill Mott!

Linny
Aug. 17, 2007, 08:29 PM
I had the chance to meet and chat with Larry Jones today. I can't say enough about what a nice guy he is, AND all the better, he's a true HORSEMAN.

Jis filly New Edition was second in the Lake Placid S today at 9-1!

holmes
Aug. 18, 2007, 12:29 PM
Larry and his wife are super nice people -

My fav. for the LP Clifton Bay ended up with a condular fracture, and is in the van on the way to the hospital as we speak. Such a pretty filly, the barn's fav - can't say enough good things about her.

Blacklabs
Aug. 19, 2007, 09:00 AM
We are headed to Saratoga today, any tips?

miss_critic
Aug. 19, 2007, 12:41 PM
Did anybody see Lady Joanne's race live or on something other than the tiny Saratoga feed? Did Octave just whimp out of going through the hole? She looked like she was moving and then stopped but I couldn't really tell what happened. Interesting, no quote from Pletcher. Good win by LJ nonetheless.

Hung, I see you were quoted again-keep those fingers crossed!

Glimmerglass
Aug. 19, 2007, 04:29 PM
Did anybody see Lady Joanne's race live or on something other than the tiny Saratoga feed? Did Octave just whimp out of going through the hole? She looked like she was moving and then stopped but I couldn't really tell what happened.

Octave was squeezed pretty good from when I was watching live on TVG. Since she never had position there was no grounds for a call of foul. The room simply didn't open up and that run at the leads was about it once the door didn't open. I guess my assertion that Todd should've run one of those girls in the Travers was a bust ;)

Glimmerglass
Aug. 19, 2007, 05:56 PM
The Times Union for Sunday has a bit more on the Octave / Lady Joanne battle (http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=615233&category=SPORTS&BCCode=HOME&newsdate=8/19/2007) although with Calvin riding the winner did anyone think they could slide inside of them on the rail? Seriously the guy doesn't have the nickname of Bo-rail for nothing ;)

The stewards ruled that Octave was not impeded and the order would stand, giving Lady Joanne a neck victory over Lear's Princess.

Octave, the pride of Duanesburg owner Don Lucarelli, backed out of the tight quarters and finished third, 1 lengths behind Lear's Princess. Panty Raid, Octave's stablemate from trainer Todd Pletcher, was a non-threatening fifth in the field of seven.

Velazquez never stopped riding Octave, leaving the stewards little choice but to let the decision stand. Neither Velazquez nor Pletcher would comment after the race.

"That's bull(bleep)," said Borel when he looked up at the board to see the inquiry sign.

Linny
Aug. 19, 2007, 11:24 PM
In KY Calvin is called "the termite" because he never leaves the wood.

Sorry I missed you Blacklabs, I was there all day!

Glimmerglass
Aug. 20, 2007, 09:00 AM
In KY Calvin is called "the termite" because he never leaves the wood.

That's too good :D

Regarding the Travers Stakes for this Saturday we have Loose Leaf (son of Notebook) training hard and bring with him a victory over the main track already. Here is what appears to be the confirmed field for the big race:

C P West (with jockey Cornelio Velasquez); Grasshopper (Robby Albarado); Helsinki (Julien Leparoux); the aforementioned Loose Leaf (Desormeaux); Sightseeing (Edgar Prado); Street Sense (Calvin Borel); Tiz Wonderful (John Velazquez).

A decent but far less then block buster line up. I'm sure I'll still enjoy the day provided it doesn't rain!

Although still we the faithful race fans are teased with a slight chance that Rags to Riches could still run - yep it's hope in the most thin sense possible ...

Times Union 8-20-07 "Mulling over Travers entry; Rags to Riches could run but trainer thinks unlikely" (http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?category=SPORTS&storyID=615339&BCCode=HOME&newsdate=8/20/2007)

excerpt:

It's probably not going to happen. The odds would be 1,000-1 against it.

But, there is still a minuscule chance it might happen. The filly is still nominated to the race and trainer Todd Pletcher got a solid workout from Rags to Riches Sunday morning.

With Hall of Fame rider Angel Cordero on her back, Rags to Riches worked five furlongs in 1:00.50. She was working with one of Pletcher's handicap horses, Magna Graduate, who went in 1:00.69. Rags to Riches galloped strongly.

"I haven't ruled it out completely," Pletcher said outside his barn on the Oklahoma Training Track Sunday morning after the work. "But it's extremely unlikely. I did not work her this morning with the idea that this was a work for the Travers."

"If something crazy were to happen .... if there were two or three defections...." Pletcher said. "She is nominated. She could be ready to run. I don't know if she's ready to run against Street Sense but she might be ready for the rest of them."

Bob Baffert's blazing 2-yr old Maimonides who took his maiden at Spa by 11 1/2 lengths without any encouragement- according to the Daily Racing Form (http://www.drf.com/news/article/87744.html) - got an unexpected workout:

[he did] six furlongs in 1:15.06 Saturday morning in preparation for a start in the Grade 1 Hopeful here on Sept. 3.

Maimonides actually got some unscheduled company in the breeze as a horse trained by Gary Contessa broke off just behind him. Simon Harris, aboard Maimonides, let the Contessa horse go ahead of him before blowing past that one in the stretch. Maimonides got his last quarter in 24.45 seconds.

"It worked out good," trainer Bob Baffert said." He let that horse go, relaxed off him, and let him finish up a little bit. He must've worked good, [Harris] was petting him at the wire."

Harris said he was glad to pick up the company in order to teach Maimonides how to rate.

Maybe they sent over a gift later to Contessa's barn ;)

Glimmerglass
Aug. 20, 2007, 09:35 AM
An interesting article - although hardly new subject - from Sunday's New York Times:

Aug 19 - "Racing Becomes Afterthought as Focus Turns to Breeding and Big Bucks" (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/19/sports/othersports/19racing.html?_r=1&ref=othersports&oref=slogin)

I didn't know that Any Give Saturday was valued as high as the article suggested. He has talent but not $30 million worth of talent in my view.

Steve Asmussen, the trainer of Curlin, was even more blunt. “Realistically, these aren’t racehorses,” he said. “They’re breeding stock, and someone lets you run them for a little while.”

It was not that long ago that top horses ran every few weeks and made 15 or 16 starts a year. Today, they seem unable to stand up to that sort of campaign, and many top trainers say that well-rested horses have an advantage.

And there you have it in a nutshell. The sport slowly ruined by the breeder side and the new money that has poured into the sport at the auction level. We lust over the success of the pinhookers who can make more money 'flipping' a purchase at the sales then they would've in an IPO for google.com, but all of that just comes back to bite everyone eventually ...

Can anyone imagine what it would be like if a Kelso or Exterminator type horse came onto the racing scene? Rock solid, swift, gobs of talent, and could run a 15-race year without so much as a single yawn.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 20, 2007, 10:01 AM
A question that perhaps others know the answer to:

Rags to Riches is nominated to the Travers and per my prior posting she worked out very well on Sunday morning (five furlongs in 1:00.50) over the Oklahoma track and Wednesday is the draw for position with the race. Todd isn't saying [her racing] is 100% out of the question if things changed with perhaps a couple of defections plus odd things can happen - heck Street Sense could get a spiked temp out of the blue, etc.

So can they enter her and take a starting position, be on the program, but with the full intent to not run if the field stays as is? Does NYRA/Saratoga penalize Pletcher for scratching a horse say in Friday "just because" they don't want to race? Is the only loss the forfeiting of the entry fee or does that get returned if you scratch before the day of?

One would assume that having her listed on the program gives a lot more flexibility in case something happens Wed afternoon plus Thur/Fri.

ravenclaw
Aug. 20, 2007, 10:50 AM
And there you have it in a nutshell. The sport slowly ruined by the breeder side and the new money that has poured into the sport at the auction level. We lust over the success of the pinhookers who can make more money 'flipping' a purchase at the sales then they would've in an IPO for google.com, but all of that just comes back to bite everyone eventually ...

Can anyone imagine what it would be like if a Kelso or Exterminator type horse came onto the racing scene? Rock solid, swift, gobs of talent, and could run a 15-race year without so much as a single yawn.

I understand the breeders' side of this issue and I know there are risks if horses keep racing. Retiring the current stars as 3-year-olds is good for breeding, but not for racing. A lot of horses become better racehorses as 4-year-olds...look at Lawyer Ron and After Market. Both of them were good racehorses at 3, but I don't think either of them won a Grade 1 race until they were 4.

I'm old enough to remember when it was expected that the good 3-year-olds ran as 4-year-olds (Seattle Slew, Affirmed, Spectacular Bid, etc.). It's sad that now they really don't have to prove themselves past the first half of their 3-year-old year. What's next? Retiring them after they win the Breeder's Cup Juvenile? :confused:

Glimmerglass
Aug. 20, 2007, 04:28 PM
Another day, same "old" results :D

Rate 2 at Saratoga for Monday Aug 20th: Mine Or Who's in a 1 1/16 Mile Turf run for 2-yr olds

Trained by Bill Mott and ridden by Kent Desormeaux

Who do ya think gets to the wire first?

Race 7 at Saratoga for Monday Aug 20th: War Monger in a 1-mile turf race for 3-yr olds

Trained by Bill Mott and ridden by Kent Desormeaux

Who do ya think left the field in their wake with an easy 5-length victory? The spoils going to Chicken Soup for the ___ Lover's Soul founder Peter Vegso who owns War Monger.

Kent even shared the wealth with another trainer in the 6th race with another turf victory aboard Savasana, but trained by John Kimmel

Glimmerglass
Aug. 20, 2007, 04:56 PM
Did I mentioned Kent Desormeaux was on fire?

The 8th race - the Union Avenue Stakes - at 6 furlongs for 3yr old and up fillies and mares

Kent Desormeaux aboard Karakorum Starlet takes the lead like a dog with a bone and won't give it up. I think leading rider title held by Prado for several years will be lost perhaps this year ;)

Texarkana
Aug. 21, 2007, 08:15 AM
A question that perhaps others know the answer to:

Rags to Riches is nominated to the Travers and per my prior posting she worked out very well on Sunday morning (five furlongs in 1:00.50) over the Oklahoma track and Wednesday is the draw for position with the race. Todd isn't saying [her racing] is 100% out of the question if things changed with perhaps a couple of defections plus odd things can happen - heck Street Sense could get a spiked temp out of the blue, etc.

So can they enter her and take a starting position, be on the program, but with the full intent to not run if the field stays as is? Does NYRA/Saratoga penalize Pletcher for scratching a horse say in Friday "just because" they don't want to race? Is the only loss the forfeiting of the entry fee or does that get returned if you scratch before the day of?

One would assume that having her listed on the program gives a lot more flexibility in case something happens Wed afternoon plus Thur/Fri.

I don't know what the official policy is at Saratoga regarding trainer scratches, but you're often penalized somehow. Sometimes you can't race the horse at the track for a set period of time, sometimes you get booted to the bottom of the list next time you enter a race, sometimes there's no consequence.

I can't imagine any minor penalty is going to affect R2R/Pletcher... but I think it's a major faux pas to enter a G1 and scratch only because you don't like the field.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 21, 2007, 08:46 AM
This headline is no surprise Times Union (8-21) "Desormeaux takes lead in jockey race" (http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?category=SPORTS&storyID=615640&BCCode=HOME&newsdate=8/21/2007) with 31 winners vs. his next reival, Cornelio Velasquez with 29.

Bill Mott is running away with the trainer's title thus far at almost double his next rival and still a few more bullets left in the holster!

And this news wasn't unexpected after NYRA has had to cope with angry fans, trainers and financial losses via refunds: Starter 'retires' after gate mishaps (http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?category=SPORTS&storyID=615585&BCCode=HOME&newsdate=8/21/2007)

There were six incidents in which horses had trouble in the gate in the meet's first 14 days. Two of them resulted in horses being declared nonstarters, Contessa's Rumspringa on Aug. 1 and Phone Home on Aug. 6, which cost NYRA more than $1 million in bet refunds.

The news release said Brousseau "will begin retirement" after 31 years with the NYRA starting-gate crew, the past four years as a starter. The timing was unusual with two weeks remaining in the meet.

"Roy (Williamson) is definitely a capable starter, and I'm sorry to see Richie (Brousseau) go because he tried hard and he always worked good with the horses," Contessa said. "I know there's been a lot of mishaps, and usually when there's mishaps, somebody's got to go. But Richie's a good guy."

Glimmerglass
Aug. 21, 2007, 08:00 PM
I wonder if Calvin Borel being sick on Monday (http://www.drf.com/news/article/87799.html) (although putting in a great final workout with Street Sense today) and Tiz Wonderful skipping the Travers would entice Todd Pletcher to enter Rags to Riches? ;)

It appears that seven horses were going to pass the entry box on Wednesday. With riders, they are: Street Sense (Borel), Sightseeing (Edgar Prado), C P West (Cornelio Velasquez), Grasshopper (Robby Albarado), Loose Leaf (Kent Desormeaux), Helsinki (Julien Leparoux), and For You Reppo (Garrett Gomez).

Street Sense, Sightseeing and CP West are significant steps above the others. CP West might just shock everyone ;)

miss_critic
Aug. 21, 2007, 09:18 PM
Check it out-Borel blogging!
http://www.nyra.com/saratoga/stories/BloggingwithBorel.shtml

Linny
Aug. 21, 2007, 10:17 PM
In a stakes race a trainer may scatch up to 45 minutes before the race for any reason.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 22, 2007, 10:33 AM
In a stakes race a trainer may scatch up to 45 minutes before the race for any reason.

Thanks Linny for that answer! We'll see if Todd does put Rags in for a position just in case ;)

The Leading Trainer for the Saratoga meet still looks to be all Bill Mott with a 3 way tie for 2nd (award is measured strictly by number of wins) as of the start of Wednesday Aug 22nd:

Trainer: ......... Starts --1st -- 2nd -- 3rd <> Win % <> Top 3% -- Earnings
Bill Mott: ..........58 starts -- 18 --6 -- 10 <> 31.03 % <> 58.62% -- $1,288,462
Gary Contessa: 102 starts -- 9 -- 9 -- 15 <> 8.82% <> 32.35% -- $572,615
Todd Pletcher: ..78 starts -- 9 -- 6 -- 12 <>11.54% <> 34.62% -- $1,282,453
Richard Dutrow: .33 starts -- 9 -- 3 -- 3 <> 27.27% <> 45.45% -- $447,977

From the Times Union Aug 22nd on Street Sense's stroll to the track (http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=615920&category=SARASEASON&BCCode=&newsdate=8/22/2007):

It took Street Sense a good 15 minutes to travel the couple of hundred yards from Nafzger's barn to the track. He stopped 10 times -- just looking around, nibbling on the grass, posing for the many photographers on hand or just letting the other horses go by.

Calvin Borel, his regular jockey, and assistant trainer Ian Wilkes, patiently led him in the right direction.

"He knows who he is, that's for sure," Borel said of the horse that has already earned $3.4 million in purse money.

:D

Glimmerglass
Aug. 22, 2007, 02:57 PM
138th running of the $1 million Travers Stakes (Grade 1) at Saratoga Race Course

Entries and assigned positions were drawn in the last couple of hours:

Post Position - HORSE - Trainer, Jockey, ML Odds
1 - Helsinki - Nick Zito, Julien Leparoux, 20-1
2 - C P West - Zito, Cornelio Velasquez, 5-1
3 - For You Reppo - Helen Pitts, Garrett Gomez, 20-1
4 - Street Sense - Carl Nafzger, Calvin Borel, 3-5
5 - Grasshopper - Neil Howard, Robby Albarado, 8-1
6 - Loose Leaf - Ken McPeek, Kent Desormeaux, 12-1
7 - Sightseeing - Shug McGaughey, Edgar Prado, 6-1

I'd expect Street Sense by the time they go off to be the even money favorite

mroades
Aug. 22, 2007, 05:22 PM
Anyone see Michael Matz's filly smoke the turf race at Saratoga today? She was ummm...very much on her toes in the post parade...not thinking she will end up a hunter.....lol

holmes
Aug. 22, 2007, 09:02 PM
Her name is Tejida. I watched the race from the roof, and she led wire to wire. If you think she was worked up in the post parade, you should have seen her when they school her in the paddock. From what I heard there were six people on the shank, and two holding the tail and she was pulling them on.

miss_critic
Aug. 23, 2007, 10:27 PM
Anyone hear any comments on what happened with My Typhoon in the Ballston ? I hope she is ok.

flash1
Aug. 24, 2007, 06:23 AM
We were there. ( at Lady Joanne's Alabama run)..and even watching the replays on the big screen it was hard to see exactly what happened. There was an inquiry..but nothing came of it. We were staying at the same B&B as one of her owners...he seemed pretty happy with the run.

holmes
Aug. 24, 2007, 12:31 PM
Anyone hear any comments on what happened with My Typhoon in the Ballston ? I hope she is ok.

She is fine, just one of those racing things.

mroades
Aug. 24, 2007, 01:26 PM
HLAS I cant imagine what it must feel like to sit on something that takes 6 people to keep it on the ground :D

CrzyCorgi
Aug. 24, 2007, 01:55 PM
MRoades ~ LOL I was thinking the same thing!!!

~Darci~

PS I don't know if you remember me, but I was the one at Sam's that asked you about Sox :-)

Hope your doing well.

Drvmb1ggl3
Aug. 25, 2007, 05:08 PM
Hard Spun finally gets himself a G1, winning the Kings Bishop in style.

Pity there isn't a Dirt Mile division in US racing, he would own the 7f to 8.5f territory.

Drvmb1ggl3
Aug. 25, 2007, 05:46 PM
Street Sense had to earn his oats today, and fair play to Grasshopper for making him work all the way to the line. Great stretch duel, which was nice as I had being expecting a snooze fest with the line up.

mroades
Aug. 25, 2007, 05:47 PM
Street Sense and Hard Spun both looked like champions today, digging in and gritting it out. And how awesome is Borel?????

miss_critic
Aug. 25, 2007, 06:36 PM
Why does Street Sense have to give me an anxiety attack to the end!!!!!!!!!!????? What a great race. But I thought I was going to faint when they hooked up.
What a great horse. 2 yr old Champ, KD winner, VERY close in the Prkns....Travers winner....how long has it been that we've seen this? Seriously.

How awesome is Borel? He is the cherry on top! He makes this year all the more special.

Texarkana
Aug. 25, 2007, 11:40 PM
What a great day of racing!

Hard Spun looked like a true professional in his race-- what determination. I'm glad he was finally in a race he could win.

Street Sense was great also. But Grasshopper... where did that horse come from? What a run! I thought he still looked rather green after they broke, which makes me think with a little more seasoning he might not let Street Sense get by him next time. (Breeders Cup? :))

findeight
Aug. 26, 2007, 10:08 AM
Grasshopper may have been overlooked a bit but a few did mention him on the ESPN telecast as green but on the uptick...believe he is a well bred son of AP Indy?

Not sure if SS really had to dig in or if Calvin is right and he had plenty but was wanting to screw around...or if Calvin is full of it;).

So...is SS HOTY or just the 3 year old HOTY?

tradewind
Aug. 26, 2007, 01:35 PM
Grasshopper is sired by Dixie Union out of Grass Skirt by Mr Prospector. I believe he was pretty well regarded early on by sustained and injury that left him on the sidelines for quite a while, a fractured tibia I believe.. I thought it was a very exciting race and its been nice to see a summer with such exciting races and intersting people to watch, and of course Saratoga is always something special.

FatDinah
Aug. 27, 2007, 10:17 AM
Associated Press reports:

Trainer Carl Nafzger says he's looking at five possibilities that could serve as a tuneup for the $5 million Breeders' Cup Classic on Oct. 27 -- Street Sense's grand finale before being retired to stud at Darley Stable.

FatDinah
Aug. 27, 2007, 10:19 AM
Hard Spun looked great. But I can never forget Lost in the Fog in this race. They came after him and came after him and he just kept going like a wonderful machine.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 27, 2007, 10:23 AM
Back from Saratoga and despite the heat on Saturday - and I do mean hot, 96 degrees F without a breeze - it still was a great time.

We went to the track Thursday before to catch the first few races and I was lucky to see [and wager for a win on] Chip Miller aboard Planet's Aligned in the steeplechase. Taking his 200th victory although I was hoping in a hedge bet that an exacta on Jigger and Rum would've been a nice combo.

Bets on Saturday were full of a lot of near misses for me. In all I won three exactas and a trifecta but otherwise was going to combos that just didn't fire that day. I did win the exacta on Street Sense and Grasshoper although as someone shouted out while waiting for Street Sense to come up the chute past the fans from the barn it didn't take a genius to box SS as your winner in any combo ;)

While I pressumed Hard Spun would win the Kings' Bishop, old loyalties stayed and I boxed him with Teufflesberg who looked great going to the saddling area. I took a quick pic with my cell phone of "Cowboy" Jones leading Hard Spun past the fans before the race.

I missed Sunday's action and probably for the better as the collapse and immediate death of Indian Flare at the conclusion of The Ballerina would've been too sad. Cardiovascular shock per the vets :(

The fans there at Travers Day while small (smallest since 1981) due to the oppressive heat and high expectations of later severe weather (which hit the area after the racing) were jolly good and gave Calvin a huge reception in the winner's circle.

From the Times Union:

"I'm not afraid of Curlin; I'm not afraid of anyone," Street Sense's jockey, Calvin Borel, said Sunday. "I haven't asked him for everything he's got. Yet."

I'm not sure if he was looking to give everyone a shock but watching the race live, he sure barely won that duel and earned his oats (as did Grasshoper - big time!) that day.

Katydid82
Aug. 27, 2007, 01:09 PM
Glimmerglass, did you catch what was going on with Looseleaf in the post parade? All of us at the rail were talking about it.. ESPN had the cameras on Ken McPeek, and the jockey kept LooseLeaf from going to the post parade with the others until Ken came down and shouted something to him. Then I guess the jockey whacked him in the pp..

Everyone around me that had anything bet on Looseleaf at that point pretty much tossed their tickets.

Other than the heat it was a great day. There weren't a lot of people and I had quite a few good conversations with complete strangers, almost all of them centered around complaining about the fact that all these 3 year olds are heading to the breeding shed after the year's out.

Oh, and I love, love, love Hard Spun! He looked at me when he was walking to the paddock and it made my day. Well that and seeing my picture behind Calvin Borel in the winner's circle on yahoo pictures. Heh.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 27, 2007, 03:01 PM
Glimmerglass, did you catch what was going on with Looseleaf in the post parade? All of us at the rail were talking about it.

We couldn't get close enough to the saddling area and seemingly missed the parade, prior to saddling, of the Travers' contenders up the traditional chute past the fans to the saddling area. Maybe I was just too slow getting out there after the Kings Bishop ;)

While the gross attendance numbers may have been down it was plenty warm and compact enough near the rail to be ok by me and my wife. I could only get about 10 feet from the winners circle before the masses of hot, sweaty bodies moved in and I was out of there.

And while "only" 39,000 + fans may have been there my parking - at someone's goldmine of a backyard - was still $15 :D This one place rakes in easily over $500 a day on any day the track is open and far more depending on the day!

As always Saratoga is full of characters as part of the Fair-like attmosphere. Folks from Staten Island to Queens to Jersey to the Berkshires and even a few full time residents of Saratoga County ;)

Linny
Aug. 27, 2007, 08:32 PM
Looseleaf's tongue tie fell off and for some reason, even though McPeek was in the front row of box seats it took about 5 minutes for him to go down to see what the issue was. I was right near McPeek but it seemed odd that he didn't appear to notice HIS TRAVERS COLT circling in front of the winners circle.

Hard Spun was awesome. He's a very nice colt. He eats sweet potatoes like candy and until he comes out to train or race, he's very easygoing. I was so impressed with his KB win. He's a gutsy colt who deserves G1 status.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 27, 2007, 10:51 PM
Looks to be a fairly thin field or at least the same "old" names for the Grade 1 54th running of the $500,000 Woodward Stakes at Saratoga Saturday September 1st.

Then again who wants to take on Lawyer Ron? The Woodward is run at 1 1/8 mi (once it had been a wonderful 1 1/2 miles) today which is the same distance Ron smashed the stakes and track record at July 28th in the Grade 1 Whitney. Essentially he's sacred off any of the potential 3-yr olds and exceptionally few others on the East Coast are really in a prime spot to beat him.

You'd almost think it could be perfect for goal for Lava Man as it is on dirt and the distance suits him fine. Then again he isn't ready for this fight, this soon again, plus the shipping thing. I don't think Lava Mas has ever tried Saratoga and it is a far different track then Belmont.

The expected runners of the Woodward: Lawyer Ron, Wanderin Boy, Diamond Stripes, Brass Hat, Sun King, Political Force and Corinthian.

Past multiple super winners of the Woodward, all at Belmont: Forgo 1974-1975-1976-1977 and Kelso 1961-1962-1963; walkovers - just 1: Spectacular Bid in 1980. Secretariat never won the Woodward but rather lost it to an unremarkable runner - Prove Out. Seattle Slew won it in 1978 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-luVRJCHag) over Exceller.

Blacklabs
Aug. 28, 2007, 11:30 AM
Below is the link to great pictures of the Travers. Click on view the gallery in right hand corner. Some really good ones of SS and Grasshopper

http://timesunion.com/saratoga/

Glimmerglass
Aug. 28, 2007, 11:52 AM
I was wondering where Baffert/Zayat's superstar colt - Maimonides - was being housed since he jetted from Del Mar to the overbooked stabling of Saratoga - now we know:

Source: Times Union 8-28 (http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=617368&category=SPORTS&BCCode=HOME&newsdate=8/28/2007):

Maimonides, a Kentucky-bred, is being housed at the barn of Baffert's long-time friend Tonja Terranova and her husband, John.

Tonja actually is also a former Baffert assistant best know for training the beloved NY runner, Gander, but also this spring had utter heartache when her and her husband's own supserstar Sports Town was euthanized with laminitis (http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=613535&category=SARASEASON&BCCode=&newsdate=8/25/2007) :(

It looks like the $250,000, Grade I Hopeful Stakes next Monday (Sep 3rd) will be a nice showdown of Pletcher vs. Baffert!

Maimonides must step up in distance to seven furlongs and face Ready's Image, a juvenile trained by Todd Pletcher who has won three times in four starts. He captured the Grade II Sanford by four lengths at the Spa on July 26.

"It's a tough jump from 5 /2 (furlongs) to 7/8ths," Baffert said. "Especially with Ready's Image because he's battle tested. It's a huge edge when you have experience. If I could have had another outing, it would be ideal."

ravenclaw
Aug. 28, 2007, 12:19 PM
I was wondering where Baffert/Zayat's superstar colt - Maimonides - was being housed
How is this colt's name pronounced? I haven't heard it spoken and I am curious.

Linny
Aug. 28, 2007, 12:42 PM
My MON uh dees

He is named after a Jewish philosopher.

Tonja is still the usuall "go to" person for Baffert in NY. She handles his stock and acts as his asst when his horses are here and he's in Cali.

Katydid82
Aug. 28, 2007, 09:31 PM
I was looking for you the whole time I was there!

As for McPeek, he was too busy chittychatting with ESPN from the looks of it. I'd be annoyed if I was the horse owner.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 29, 2007, 04:19 PM
An interesting and timely article regarding the Zayat/Baffert colt with the funky name ...

Times Union Aug 29, 2007 "A horse by almost any other name ... " (http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=617665&category=SPORTS&BCCode=HOME&newsdate=8/29/2007)

You can't become a superstar in thoroughbred racing with a name like Maimonides (pronounced MAY-MON-A-DEZ). The colt was named for a renowned medieval Jewish philosopher named Moses ben Maimon, who did most of his work in Egypt -- not coincidentally the birthplace of Zayat Stables and Maimonides' owner, Ahmed Zayat.

Track announcers across America are already shuddering at the prospect of having to make that call in the races that lie ahead for this $4.6 million son of Vindication purchased in the 2006 Keeneland September sale. Imagine the dilemma in a 20-horse Derby.

It might be noble to have honored the colt with a distinguished name like Maimonides (which some in the press box thought was Hebrew for Rickey Henderson). But with a sire like Vindication and a dam named Silvery Swan, there certainly were more aesthetically viable options.

:D

Calico
Aug. 29, 2007, 05:39 PM
The Woodward is a favorite - if I could witness any race in history, it would be the 1967 Woodward, Buckpasser vs. Damascus vs. Dr. Fager.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 29, 2007, 07:11 PM
The Woodward is a favorite - if I could witness any race in history, it would be the 1967 Woodward, Buckpasser vs. Damascus vs. Dr. Fager.

video: youtube.com Dr. Fager v. Damascus (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8frxLao1bM) - includes the Woodward Stakes

Glimmerglass
Aug. 29, 2007, 08:19 PM
Nothing like a true mixed field!

Friday (8-31)'s main stakes race at Spa is the $80,000 With Anticipation Stakes on the turf at 1 1/16 mi for 2-yr olds. What makes it so interesting is the field: four fillies, three colts and three geldings (http://www.drf.com/news/article/88048.html)!

Ahmed Zayat is putting in two of his fillies - Sherine (trained by Anthony Dutrow) and Zee Zee (trained by Bill Mott); there is also a (semi rare these days) appearance by the 'French Connection' team of Julien Leparoux and trainer Patrick Biancone with Nownownow

As this Friday is a twilight racing evening, this the 8th race will go off at 6:30 pm

Glimmerglass
Aug. 29, 2007, 11:25 PM
Need there be another example of Baffert+Zayat = Speed?

Well example B: Baffert Trainee J Be K Breaks Track Record at Saratoga (Wed Aug 29) (http://racing.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=40499)

Zayat Stables' J Be K, a 2-year-old son of Silver Deputy trained by Bob Baffert, broke the track record at Saratoga Race Course in his first career start when he blazed 5 1/2 furlongs in 1:03.13 Aug. 29, eclipsing Secret Gypsy's track record of 1:03.26 that was set Aug. 16 of this year.

A $350,000 purchase at Fasig Tipton's February sale of 2-year-olds in Training, J Be K wired the field of 10 to win by 7 1/2 lengths under Garrett Gomez.

"I would've thought he'd break his maiden next time out at Belmont," Baffert said. "I didn't expect him to break the track record. I'm sort of surprised; he did it impressively."

You wouldn't have seen that in Del Mar ;)

Linny
Aug. 29, 2007, 11:38 PM
Nothing like a true mixed field!

Friday (8-31)'s main stakes race at Spa is the $80,000 With Anticipation Stakes on the turf at 1 1/16 mi for 2-yr olds. What makes it so interesting is the field: four fillies, three colts and three geldings (http://www.drf.com/news/article/88048.html)!

Ahmed Zayat is putting in two of his fillies - Sherine (trained by Anthony Dutrow) and Zee Zee (trained by Bill Mott); there is also a (semi rare these days) appearance by the 'French Connection' team of Julien Leparoux and trainer Patrick Biancone with Nownownow

As this Friday is a twilight racing evening, this the 8th race will go off at 6:30 pm

The PG Johnson S (2yo grass fillies) was carded for today but failed to fill, so I guess the fillies will be heading in with boys.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 30, 2007, 02:15 PM
The great old man, Evening Attire, in the 3rd race today just didn't have the luck at the opening of the gates and was left behind quickly by 5-lengths. As an old pro he did come on in the close and looks to have maybe nipped for 2nd if not then 3rd place. Either way he was only 1/2 a length or so away from victory.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 30, 2007, 03:51 PM
Need there be another example of Baffert+Zayat = Speed?

Well example B: Baffert Trainee J Be K Breaks Track Record at Saratoga (Wed Aug 29) (http://racing.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=40499)

Another day, another Bob Baffert runner at the same distance and almost the same results! Indian Blessing in the 6th race for 2-yr old fillies at 5 1/2 furlings (same as J Be K ran at) almost broke the track record set yesterday by her stablemate.

The fractions were insane and finally - ever so slightly - gave way with the final time less then 1/2 second off J Be K's track record effort.

EDITED to add:

Indian Blessing's final time: 1:03.26 and the track record at the distance set yesterday is ALSO 1:03.26 so she TIED THE TRACK RECORD.

Also she is owned by Hal Earnhardt, III (in case folks thought I was inferring she was a Zayat horse)

Linny
Aug. 30, 2007, 07:58 PM
Speaking of girls taking on the boys...in todays (G1) NY Turf Writers' Cup over hurdles, the mare Footlights dominated males for trainer Roger Horgan and jockey Xavier Aizpuru. This is the second G1 win this year for a female over males, following in the hoofprints of Rags to Riches in the Belmont.

miss_critic
Aug. 30, 2007, 08:44 PM
Evening Attire got third. He was SOOO close!

Glimmerglass
Aug. 30, 2007, 10:29 PM
Speaking of girls taking on the boys...in todays (G1) NY Turf Writers' Cup over hurdles, the mare Footlights dominated males for trainer Roger Horgan and jockey Xavier Aizpuru.

Indeed that was a brilliant run by her without a horse to be found prior to the last fence and only needing to walking home after that! It was a solid 10 lengths back to the field. Mixed Up didn't have his day (not even finishing in the money) nor did The Looper. Footlights had gobs and gob of speed to move into position perfectly after the first two passes around the course.

Picture perfect run for that gal!

Glimmerglass
Aug. 30, 2007, 11:21 PM
Not cited on this thread before, but on Wednesday another track record - in addition to J Be K's effort at 5 1/2 furlongs - at 1 1/8 mi on the inner turf :

In the $80,000 Perfect Sting the second track record of the day was set. Criminologist, trained by Shug McGaughey and ridden by Edgar Prado, completed the race in a time of 1:45.61, breaking the old record of 1:46.22, set in 1997 by Amarettitorun.

Glimmerglass
Aug. 31, 2007, 01:46 PM
In Forumula One towards the end of the race schedule you have what is termed "the silly season" where speculation on who is going where, who might be entering the sport, who will be champion next, etc starts in the press with some wild and crazy suggestions.

I think USA Today (never a high water mark for the media - once best described as McNews for McNugged heads) takes on the silly season for horse racing with this headline alone: Baffert might have two on Derby fast track (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/horses/2007-08-30-baffert-hopefuls_N.htm?loc=interstitialskip)

Really? Two horses - Maimonides & J Be K, they obviously omitted the filly Indian Blessing in their rush to be first - have put in brilliant one-off maiden runs. Great! I've even said wow when they occured at Spa in this long running thread too. However is anyone that silly to really start in August the banter of "Kentucky Derby runner"? Really.

I could create a list longer then the Magna Carta of horses that at 2 put in efforts to make them the cliche of "the next Secretariat". Only to be no where come the first Saturday in May.

I love this sport but get tired of the hack sports writters that seeming get articles published.

ravenclaw
Aug. 31, 2007, 02:31 PM
However is anyone that silly to really start in August the banter of "Kentucky Derby runner"? Really.
Yeah, they should at least wait until after the Breeders' Cup. ;) I guess a lot of sports writers don't realize that running great in the short 2-year-old races doesn't mean they will be able to go longer. Then there are the ones that peak early and fizzle out early, several will get sidelined with injuries, etc. In the article, Baffert even says it's way too early to get Derby fever.

I hope one of Baffert's horses turns out to be the real deal. I don't have a problem with Todd Pletcher, but he's on almost every racing broadcast and he's not as entertaining as Bob Baffert. I like Nick Zito, too. :yes:

Glimmerglass
Aug. 31, 2007, 03:52 PM
I like Nick Zito, too. :yes:

From today's (8/31) Times Union on the 59-yr old Zito (http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=618249&category=SPORTS&BCCode=HOME&newsdate=8/31/2007)

"I like doing the big days. We run on the big days because we are playing to win, that is what we are doing."

"Let's say in five years you come up here and see me with no Travers horses but a nice group of horses," Zito said. "I don't think you could see me doing that, right or wrong? It keeps you young. It keeps Wayne Lukas young, it keeps the great Allen Jerkens young. I want to be like Allen Jerkens when I grow up. Remember that, 'I want to be like Mike?' I want to be like Allen Jerkens."

Glimmerglass
Sep. 1, 2007, 06:59 PM
No contest - the verdict goes to Lawyer Ron in the Woodward Stakes (G1) in a crushing effort and reaffirms himself as the top older horse in the US.

His win by 8 1/4 lengths 1:48.60 was slower then his track setting effort in the Whitney Stakes still it was very impressive as he set the very fast fractions early on: 23.31 seconds, 46.42, and 1:10.45!

Nice to see Nick Zito's work hose, Sun King, get up for 2nd.

As of right now I don't see anyone else knocking off Lawyer Ron in the Breeders' Cup Classic - including Street Sense.

Glimmerglass
Sep. 1, 2007, 07:14 PM
Almost setting up for it to be a match-race on Monday with the two exceedingly fast colts, and little else, in the Hopeful Stakes (Grade 1) at Spa for the 3rd:

$250,000 Hopeful Stakes
Grade I, Race 9, 5:20 p.m est; 2-year-olds at seven furlongs

PP. Horse, Weight, Jockey
1. Majestic Warrior (KY), 120, Garrett K. Gomez
2. Maimonides (KY), 120, Rafael Bejarano
3. Georgetown (KY), 120, Julien R. Leparoux
4. Ready's Image (MD), 120, John R. Velazquez

Bob Baffert's fireball Maimonides vs. Pletcher's quick and talented - and is that a Maryland bred! - Ready's Image. Should be a great race.

Glimmerglass
Sep. 1, 2007, 07:17 PM
It can't be lost but again worth saying: Bob Baffert = speed

Today's $250,000 Forego Handicap won by BB's Midnight Lute set a stakes mark in the seven-furlong Forego of 1:21 flat. The time was three ticks off the track record.

BloodHorse - article & video replay (http://racing.bloodhorse.com//viewstory.asp?id=40568)

miss_critic
Sep. 1, 2007, 07:44 PM
I'd love Street Sense to win the Classic, but I have to agree, LR looks like he grew wings and is uncatchable. Interestingly, he was one of my picks for the Derby last year. The breeders have to be happy now that he stayed in training, right??!!

Glimmerglass
Sep. 1, 2007, 08:01 PM
I'd love Street Sense to win the Classic, but I have to agree, LR looks like he grew wings and is uncatchable. Interestingly, he was one of my picks for the Derby last year. The breeders have to be happy now that he stayed in training, right?

Ditto he was my Derby pick as well. Ironically there was a lawsuit (cited on another LR thread in the spring of '07) whereby there was an interpretation of the contract behind Lawyer Ron running as a 4-yr old [his breeding rights were sold off in 2007]. He couldn't finish unplaced for two races, or something like that, as I recall or else he was done. Clearly as you said he continued march towards HOTY only enhances his immediate bankroll and makes him all the more desirable in the shed. Bookings for him in 2008 will be filled quickly.

So win + win = win

ravenclaw
Sep. 2, 2007, 12:14 PM
Clearly as you said he continued march towards HOTY only enhances his immediate bankroll and makes him all the more desirable in the shed. Bookings for him in 2008 will be filled quickly.

Lawyer Ron was one of my Derby picks last year, too. I hope his success this year will encourage other owners to keep their 3-year-olds racing at 4. Lawyer Ron was a good 3-year-old, but he has gotten a lot better at 4. As lightly raced as most horses are now, they don't get really good and experienced until they are 4.

I'm sure Lawyer Ron will command a higher stud fee and get a better book of mares with his success this year than he would have if he retired at 3.

miss_critic
Sep. 2, 2007, 02:11 PM
Lawyer Ron should be the poster boy for what all of us fans keep saying over and over again.

CrzyCorgi
Sep. 2, 2007, 04:16 PM
Very impressed by Lawyer Ron's win----WOW! That horse sure has come a long way! Congrats to his connections!

~Darci~

Glimmerglass
Sep. 3, 2007, 01:20 PM
Regarding today - the last day of the Saratoga Meet - and the Hopefull Stakes:

[the] last Derby winner who also won the Hopeful was Affirmed. He won the Hopeful in 1977.

Other notable horses who have won the Hopeful in recent years include Afleet Alex (2005 Preakness and Belmont winner) and Summer Squall (1990 Preakness winner).

This year's edition of the Grade I race is a short, but competitive field.

Two horses share top billing: Ready's Image, who won the Sanford here on the second day of the meet, and Maimonides, who had an eye-popping 11-length win here in his career debut Aug. 8.

The race goes off at 5:20 pm EST

Times Union 9-3-07 "Hopeful lets Baffert dream big " (http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?category=SPORTS&storyID=618800&BCCode=HOME&newsdate=9/2/2007)

If he [Bob Baffert] doesn't have a seat in the Churchill Downs clubhouse on the first Saturday in May, hey, it's no big deal.

Honest.

"I don't miss it," Baffert said, leaning against a wood fence on the Oklahoma Training Track a few mornings ago. "If you don't have a good horse, it's not fun, it's not the same. When you have a really good horse and you know you have a chance it's special. When you don't, it's not."

It's still early in the game, but Baffert might have one that gives him that special feeling again.

Glimmerglass
Sep. 3, 2007, 10:28 PM
Any further word on the condition of Rafael Bejarano?

The last I read (around 6 pm) was him going to Albany Medical with abdominal pain after that bad rearing incident before the 4th race.

The last day of Saratoga wasn't without a big, big upset in the 103rd running of the Grade 1 Hopeful Stakes! The race replay video can be seen here (http://racing.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=40595)

It was looking to be the match-race expected in the stretch between the two early top notch 2-yr olds - Maimonides and Ready's Image - only to have Bill Mott trained Majestic Warrior smoke 'em like a cheap cigar! He blew by them for the victory like they were grazing in the meadow and he was enroute to a fire :D

11 lengths off the pace of the front runners, Garrett Gomez told Majestic to go and he simply went!

I wonder if the loss of Rafael from riding Maimonides (replaced then by Kent Desormeaux) had any impact on the outcome.

That victory was iceing on the cake for Bill Mott and kudos to him for the taking the 2007 Trainer's Title with 27 wins (11 of them with 2-yr olds) vs. Pletcher generating a relatively measly 13 victories*. Mott last won the Training Title in 2001 after which Pletcher controlled it from 2002 - 2006.

* Pletcher was tied for 2nd place (all at 13 victories) with Richard Dutrow Jr., Gary Contessa and Linda Rice

It was damn close for the 2007 Jockey Title down to the very last race to determine who won it. Kent D. had a shot to take a tie if Maimonides had won the Hopeful or if he won the last race.

Instead Cornelio Velasquez won one race to take the title 44-43. Kent Desormeaux went 0 for 10 on the day, losing the last race on the card by a half-length.

miss_critic
Sep. 3, 2007, 10:53 PM
I was wondering the same thing about the jockey change on Maimonides. I have to admit, I watched the last race in keen interest with the jockey title-how much tighter can a race get-half a length! wow!

Was the Bejarano accident the starters fault? I know the horse busted through the gate, but shouldnt the guy have let go?

Great thread. I guess its about done.

holmes
Sep. 4, 2007, 07:24 AM
Yes the assistant starter should have let go - lots of problems with them this year.

Glimmerglass
Sep. 4, 2007, 08:46 AM
As to where Hopefully Stakes winner, Majestic Warrior, might go next:

Mott said he'll consider sending Majestic Warrior, owned by George Steinbrenner's Kinsman Stable, to the Champagne Stakes at Belmont Park on Oct. 6.

Source: Times Union (http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=619082&category=SPORTS&BCCode=HOME&newsdate=9/4/2007)

The success wasn't that shocked I suppose, per The New York Post (http://www.nypost.com/seven/09042007/sports/boss_hoss_takes_hopeful.htm)

Carrying the royal-blue-and-brown silks of George Steinbrenner's Kinsman Stable, Majestic Warrior is a son of Horse of the Year A.P. Indy out of the great racemare Dream Supreme, winner of the Grade 1 Test and Ballerina over this track for Steinbrenner seven years ago. Those two races were run at seven furlongs, as was the Hopeful. Another similarity: Dream Supreme was conditioned by Majestic Warrior's trainer, Bill Mott. Like mother, like son

Maimonides didn't benefit from the front page of the New York Times (Sunday) obviously - did anyone else see that picture? Those kids were getting closer to him then most people ever can to a race horse (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/03/sports/othersports/03maimonides.html?_r=1&ref=us&oref=slogin)

ravenclaw
Sep. 4, 2007, 12:01 PM
did anyone else see that picture? Those kids were getting closer to him then most people ever can to a race horse (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/03/sports/othersports/03maimonides.html?_r=1&ref=us&oref=slogin)
Wow...Maimonides sure looks calm and quiet. He's almost falling asleep!

holmes
Sep. 4, 2007, 12:38 PM
Maimonides didn't benefit from the front page of the New York Times (Sunday) obviously - did anyone else see that picture? Those kids were getting closer to him then most people ever can to a race horse (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/03/sports/othersports/03maimonides.html?_r=1&ref=us&oref=slogin)

A bit dramatic - you can do that with about 99% of racehorses - we had kids come up and visit our horses all the time.

CrzyCorgi
Sep. 4, 2007, 01:05 PM
Here is an article that I found on BloodHorse: (sorry guys I don't know how to post an article)

Bejarano Hospitalized Following Saratoga Gate Accident
by Claire Novak
Date Posted: September 3, 2007
Last Updated: September 3, 2007

Email This Article
Print This Article
RSS

Jockey Rafael Bejarano was hospitalized Sept. 3 with possible rib and back injuries following an incident in the fourth race at Saratoga, when his mount - the Mark Hennig-trained Marital Asset - broke through the gate at the New York track.

Marital Asset broke through the gate but was still in the hands of the assistant starter, who attempted to hold the colt, said NYRA head starter Roy Williamson. Marital Asset then reared and pinned Bejarano in the starting gate before breaking loose and galloping down the track.

Bejarano was removed from the track via ambulance and taken to the first aid station at Saratoga, where it was determined he should be sent on to Albany Medical Center. According to Tim Kelly, clerk of the scales for the New York Racing Association, the jockey was hospitalized with possible rib and back injuries.

Bejarano's agent, Joe Ferrer, said from Florida that initial x-rays of the jockey's back returned negative. Ferrer was awaiting the results of an MRI, and no further information was immediately available on the jockey's condition.

Marital Asset, a 4-year-old son of A.P. Indy, has a record of 1-3-3 from nine career starts for owner Edward P. Evans. He was immediately apprehended by the outrider and appeared uninjured by the incident.

Bejarano has had a streak of bad luck at Saratoga for the past three years. He injured his foot in 2005 early into his first season at the Spa, and suffered cracked ribs in 2006 after riding for most of the meet.

Glimmerglass
Sep. 4, 2007, 01:40 PM
A bit dramatic - you can do that with about 99% of racehorses - we had kids come up and visit our horses all the time.

Really? Why? After seeing too many vistors to barns rub their hans on the noses of each horse down the line of a barn - spreading whatever could be on one horse's nose to another - I'd assume with a $4.5 million horse more caution would be used.

As a horse owned, albeit not a race horse, I just prefer that my horse is patted on the neck or back only or scratched under her chin.

Linny
Sep. 4, 2007, 07:29 PM

I find it hard to believe that 99% of all race horses are visited and petted by kids regularly. Sure, owners and trainers kids, grooms kids etc may come "see the horsies" but I'm sure if strangers wander into Mr Matz' shedrow, they are politely but firmly dissuaded from patting the pretty horsies.

That said, my little boy met Larry Jones this summer and was invited in to feed Hard Spun some of his favorite treats, sweet potatoes! I wish I'd had a camera.

Glimmerglass
Sep. 4, 2007, 09:36 PM
Linny, maybe it's 98% :D

You should've used a camera phone at the least for a shot like that - someday your son will get to say, at least, that he met a TC runner and blacktype winner during what might be the height of his career. I was only able to meet Spectacular Bid well after he left the track, same for John Henry.

Glimmerglass
Sep. 4, 2007, 10:13 PM
So the 139th meeting at Saratoga has ended with:

* Two new track records - Lawyer Ron (age 4) in the Grade 1 Whitney Handicap in a time 1:46.64 for 1 1-8 miles; J Be K (age 2) in non-stakes effort raced 5 1/2 furlongs in 1:03.13

Several ties of stakes records, example Midnight Lute equaled the Forgo Stakes - at 7 furlongs - of 1:21.06.

Interestingly the Beyer committee gave Midnight Lute a Beyer fig of 124 vs. Lawyer Ron's measly 118 ... um, sure, that makes no sense.

* New meet champs (measured on total number of wins) in both Trainer and Jockey catagories, ending the Pletcher and Prado hold for the last few years. Bill Mott and Cornelio Velasquez took the 2007 titles respectively

[In case others are wondering - Michael Matz failed to make it onto leading trainers chart; Tagg had of 44 starts 8-7-10; Zito had 63 starts 6-10-6; etc]

* Gains in every area possible: wagering interests was 2,974, up from 2,698 in 2006; average field size was 8.79 this year, up from 8.51 in 2006; total attendance of 958,574 this year was up 5.7% from 908,569 in 2006; all time on-track handle record of $123,018,041,which is 8.5% better then the prior on-track handle record set in 2003 with $117,368,204 ; and as planned by NYRA average daily purses were a highly generous $773,738 up from $663,156 for the 2006 meet

* racing breakdowns: you'd be surprised but only one and it was in the very first race of the first day. Last year's victor in the same race, Massoud, trained by H. Graham Motion broke down on the lead in the stretch and was euthanized. Indian Flare, while euthanized, did not breakdown while racing. She instead did of cardiovascular shock post-race having run with what is believed to be a broken hip incurred in the starting gate.

holmes
Sep. 5, 2007, 06:55 AM
Maybe I misread it - I believe she was saying the horse is so docile, that children could pet it, rather than just having the opportunity.

WhiteCamry
Sep. 5, 2007, 11:05 AM
Very impressed by Lawyer Ron's win----WOW! That horse sure has come a long way! Congrats to his connections!

~Darci~

Helluva run - saw it with my own two eyes.
:eek::yes::)

But a word on the race following - a 9.5f MSW for 3yos+ on the grass. Equitable nosed out Stalingrad in 1:53.74, with the German-bred Schoolboy showing 1-3/4 back. All are 3yos.

Given that Curlin's time for the Preakness on the dirt was 1:53.46, I just have to ask ... WHERE WERE THESE HORSES DURING THE PREAKNESS???!!!

:confused::eek::confused::eek::confused::eek::conf used::eek::confused::eek:

Drvmb1ggl3
Sep. 5, 2007, 11:24 AM
Helluva run - saw it with my own two eyes.
:eek::yes::)

But a word on the race following - a 9.5f MSW for 3yos+ on the grass. Equitable nosed out Stalingrad in 1:53.74, with the German-bred Schoolboy showing 1-3/4 back. All are 3yos.

Given that Curlin's time for the Preakness on the dirt was 1:53.46, I just have to ask ... WHERE WERE THESE HORSES DURING THE PREAKNESS???!!!

:confused::eek::confused::eek::confused::eek::conf used::eek::confused::eek:

I believe we've had this discussion before, but when you go above 8f, grass is generally a faster surface than dirt (although a more accurate description would be less tiring).

Glimmerglass
Sep. 5, 2007, 12:37 PM
Obviously keep in mind (aside from turf vs. dirt) Curlin ran two weeks earlier in another Grade 1 at a longer distance and that a 3yr old in August is that much more developed then the one in May. Saratoga for whatever reason tends to bring a lot of would be wallflower horses into their own when they get to race there ;) Must be that "mountain air" :D see the prior posting on that oft remarked but silly description of Saratoga's geography

Linny
Sep. 5, 2007, 02:39 PM
The race after LR's was on a rock hard grass course which has seen records fall all meet long. None of them could keep Curlin company on a dirt course at 1 3/16 miles. All they'd see is his lovely red rear getting smaller as it fades into the distance!

Timex
Sep. 5, 2007, 03:27 PM
Here is an article that I found on BloodHorse: (sorry guys I don't know how to post an article)

Bejarano Hospitalized Following Saratoga Gate Accident
by Claire Novak
Date Posted: September 3, 2007
Last Updated: September 3, 2007

Jockey Rafael Bejarano was hospitalized Sept. 3 with possible rib and back injuries following an incident in the fourth race at Saratoga, when his mount - the Mark Hennig-trained Marital Asset - broke through the gate at the New York track.

Marital Asset broke through the gate but was still in the hands of the assistant starter, who attempted to hold the colt, said NYRA head starter Roy Williamson. Marital Asset then reared and pinned Bejarano in the starting gate before breaking loose and galloping down the track.

Bejarano was removed from the track via ambulance and taken to the first aid station at Saratoga, where it was determined he should be sent on to Albany Medical Center. According to Tim Kelly, clerk of the scales for the New York Racing Association, the jockey was hospitalized with possible rib and back injuries.

Bejarano's agent, Joe Ferrer, said from Florida that initial x-rays of the jockey's back returned negative. Ferrer was awaiting the results of an MRI, and no further information was immediately available on the jockey's condition.

Marital Asset, a 4-year-old son of A.P. Indy, has a record of 1-3-3 from nine career starts for owner Edward P. Evans. He was immediately apprehended by the outrider and appeared uninjured by the incident.

Bejarano has had a streak of bad luck at Saratoga for the past three years. He injured his foot in 2005 early into his first season at the Spa, and suffered cracked ribs in 2006 after riding for most of the meet.

i was there, it was an ugly fall. Having just seen Andrew Lakeman in the clubhouse, had me a little nervous! but the EMTs took Rafael off the track awake and moving. I tried to get ahold of a couple of people to see how he was doing yesterday, but so many people have pulled out already, it's been hard. Last thing I heard, he was scheduled to be released from the hospital late Monday, with negative MRIs.

Glimmerglass
Sep. 5, 2007, 09:55 PM
Maimonides came out of the Hopeful Stakes with bucked shins: Baffert-trained Maimonides to Miss 30 Days of Training (http://racing.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=40638)

"I noticed after the race that his shins were pretty sore and he'd bucked one of them, so he'll miss about 30 days and of course miss the Breeders' Cup," Baffert said. "We're gonna have to back off of him, which is disappointing, but in a way I feel better about it because I'd been wondering why he didn't run his race in the Hopeful."

"He should have kept going, and I really didn't think he could get beat in that race, but it turns out he had a legitimate excuse," Baffert said. "He'll be fine, though. He's young and these things happen; he'll bounce right back and he'll have a great winter campaign heading into the Kentucky Derby, so it might be a blessing in disguise."

Glimmerglass
Sep. 14, 2007, 09:19 PM
Worth tacking this onto this thread as Spa is where the amazing comeback occured. Shakespeare will be starting September 16 in the Woodbine Mile and is installed as the morning line favorite!

Bloodhorse 9-14-07 "Intrigue Abounds in Woodbine Mile" (http://racing.bloodhorse.com//viewstory.asp?id=40796)

Perhaps the best storyline comes from Shakespeare, a 6-year-old colt who sat out 21 months with a tendon injury before gallantly returning to the winners circle in his first race back Aug. 2 at Saratoga.

Unbeaten in his first five career starts, including the Joe Hirsch Turf Classic Invitational (gr. I) in October 2005, Shakespeare was injured in the Breeders’ Cup Turf (gr. I) four weeks later. At that time, the son of Theatrical-Lady Shirl was trained by Bill Mott. But after William Schettine and Dell Ridge Farm acquired the Kentucky-bred, he was shipped to Kiaran McLaughlin’s stable. Shakespeare resumed training in May before his dramatic comeback victory last month, in which he burned a mile in 1:34 in allowance competition.

"He's a very, very talented horse and he has a lot of ability," marveled McLaughlin. "He's come back great. He does things effortlessly."

Shakespeare, who registered a 105 Beyer Speed Figure in his return, was installed as the 3-1 morning line favorite and will leave from post 3 with Garrett Gomez aboard.

Looks like a GREAT race with Kip Deville and others in the race!

Flashback as originally posted August 2, 2007 --

"Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look,
He thinks too much; such men are dangerous."
- from Julius Caesar (I, ii, 194) (http://www.enotes.com/shakespeare-quotes/yond-cassius-has-lean-hungry-look)

Is this the next Da Hoss or something out of the Biblical character of Lazarus?

Shakespeare winner of Belmont's Grade 1 Turf Classic in October of 2005, had not raced since the 2005 Breeders' Cup Turf when he finished off the boards soiling his record at 6 starts 5-0-0.

So almost 2 years later your man comes back ... taking the 8th race at Saratoga a $79k 1-mile allowance race on turf (http://www.drf.com/results/02/rSAR02.html?rn=622852#8)

His trainer - Kiaran McLaughlin

The time? 1:34.14 which is three-fifths of a second off the track record in his first start in almost 2-years. Rust? What rust?

With that much go-baby-go it makes you wonder if Kiaran shouldn't have followed through with the entry [he did nominate him] of Shakespeare for Saratoga’s 23rd edition of the Grade 2, $150,000 Fourstardave at a mile and a sixteenth on the turf August 5th.

Drvmb1ggl3
Sep. 14, 2007, 09:28 PM
Worth tacking this onto this thread as Spa is where the amazing comeback occured. Shakespeare will be starting September 16 in the Woodbine Mile and is installed as the morning line favorite!

Bloodhorse 9-14-07 "Intrigue Abounds in Woodbine Mile" (http://racing.bloodhorse.com//viewstory.asp?id=40796)

Looks like a GREAT race with Kip Deville and others in the race!

Flashback as originally posted August 2, 2007 --

Actually, this deserves it's own thread. The Woodbine Mile is the most stacked turf race in NA so far this year, and has the makings of right cracker.

No reason it shouldn't have it's own thread, every other peripheral aspect of racing seems to get one.
So do the right thing Glimmer, start one :)

Glimmerglass
Sep. 16, 2007, 10:28 PM
"Thus the whirligig of time brings in his revenges"
- Taming of the Shrew, Act V, Scene I

UTTERLY BRILLIANT EFFORT BY SHAKESPEARE TO SNAG THE WOODBINE MILE!

It looked like the wonderful gray, Kip Deville, had this victory sewn up until the Shakespeare flyer (http://racing.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=40820) blazed along the rail and took the win.

A horse that was on top until injury in the Breeders' Cup 2005 and only came back last month, now looks like he's going to rock the world at the BC :) Fantastic!

miss_critic
Sep. 16, 2007, 10:54 PM
FINALLY something to get really excited about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He's back in a big way.

Does anybody know the story of why they switched trainers? It's not like he was doing so poorly before. And why the turf mile and not the 1.5 mile?

This made my day. A comeback, not a retirement.

Oh, did anybody see the Danzig colt Prussian?-very nice.
It was also nice to finally see a big race on HRTV and not TVG.