PDA

View Full Version : anyone try renegade hoof boots yet?

marta
Jul. 23, 2007, 02:23 PM
my trimmer just ordered a pair for us and i can't wait to try them.
curious if anyone here has tried them and if so, what are the impressions? any rubs? issues?

Ozalynda
Oct. 26, 2007, 12:12 AM
How is it working with your Renegade boots? I am looking for a set of four hoof boots and Renegades were recommended. The only problem is I can't find out where to buy them!

How much did they cost? Are you pleased with them? Have you tried other kinds of boots like Easyboot Epics?

Auventera Two
Oct. 26, 2007, 08:41 AM
Renegades aren't manufacturered for the general public at this time. Darnit!

marta
Oct. 26, 2007, 09:16 AM
lauren! got a pair but they were too small for her horse. not sure if she exchanged them.
she said they looked good.
you have to buy them through a hoof care practitioner and they're scarce. my trimmer put the order in back in mid summer and she still doesn't have them.
pricey too. i think lauren! paid like $180!

matryoshka
Oct. 26, 2007, 09:58 AM
I can't wait to see what you think of the Renegades.

saratoga
Oct. 26, 2007, 11:07 AM
Mine are still working great for me. Fortunately the guy who makes them lives in the same state I do, so I have an "in"! I even met him at my last ride and have his phone number now :) I really, really like them. I did a 25 with my mare and have also been using them with my gelding. No rubs, super easy to put on, and have not fallen off, ever. I have to say they are much easier and nicer than easy boots. I have not been able to make it to many endurance rides this fall but hope to do a lot over the winter and spring and really put them to the test. Then I will see how they hold up over time. Thats the only question right now. The guy who makes them seems really nice, always making improvements to the boots, and hopes to get up and running in a new building and be able to produce a lot more soon.

marta
Oct. 26, 2007, 11:45 AM
that sounds very encouraging.

are they heavier or lighter than epics or bares?

lately my focus switched to glueing boots on but it'd be nice to have a pair of boots that are easy to put on and stay on and don't slip and slide;)

saratoga
Oct. 26, 2007, 06:51 PM
they are lighter than Epics and so much more flexible.

Loves to ride
Nov. 2, 2007, 03:22 PM
When will they be available to the general public?

In looking at the web site, you can even jump in them!

And such an array of colors.. They look much easier to put on.

saratoga
Nov. 2, 2007, 07:21 PM
I really cant say enough good things about the Renegades. I dont know when they will be available to the public though.
Easy Care is supposed to be coming out with a new design very soon, not sure if it is the just the gaiter or the whole boot. I hope it is much better than what they have now.

Daydream Believer
Nov. 4, 2007, 08:19 AM
I found the website on these boots but there is no information on ordering. How does one go about getting a pair of these?

saratoga
Nov. 4, 2007, 04:08 PM
Daydream Believer, you probably wont be able to buy any because right now they are only sold thru trimmers and I think just trimmers that the manufacturer knows. I am lucky that I live in the same state and was able to find a trimmer that carries them.

Daydream Believer
Nov. 4, 2007, 04:30 PM
Ah, thanks. I am a trimmer but obviously not "in the know!" They do look very nice. I'd love to try a pair!

saratoga
Nov. 4, 2007, 04:54 PM
Yes, they are the best. I did look at Easy Care's website and pics of their new "Edge" boot is up. I think they will be available sometime in '08. They do not show what type of "gaiter" the boot will have but the basic design looks quite similar to the Renegade.

Daydream Believer
Nov. 4, 2007, 06:30 PM
Interesting. I could not find a pic of the Edge boot on there. Is there one?

Auventera Two
Nov. 5, 2007, 09:05 AM
Yes, they are the best. I did look at Easy Care's website and pics of their new "Edge" boot is up. I think they will be available sometime in '08. They do not show what type of "gaiter" the boot will have but the basic design looks quite similar to the Renegade.

Where'd you find the pics? I can only find this page:
http://www.easycareinc.com/Cool_Stuff/name_the_boot_contest_2_results.aspx and
http://www.easycareinc.com/NewsRoom/Current.aspx

It looks like Pete Ramey submitted the winning name "Easyboot Edge."

saratoga
Nov. 5, 2007, 09:31 AM
I think it was one of the blogs. It was just a few pics that showed the "body" of the boot but not how it would attach. Did remind me of the Renegade though.

Lauren!
Nov. 5, 2007, 10:59 AM
Judging by the shell pictures of the new Easyboot Edge available so far and the blog posts it sounds like it's going to be a lot like the Renegades. There are supposed to be another version of improved gaiters by the end of the year too. Between that and the people who are experimenting gluing boots on without gaiters I'm hopefully that there will be some good new options for booting by next summer :yes:

I have not tried the Renegades yet, but I did get to handle a pair and they looked promising IMO. For now I'm using Bares with tapers and regular gaiters, but I'm considering switching the bungee to an UpBuckle, at least for everyday use and trail riding (I still think the bungee is better for jumping and competition... lower profile). I like the bungee, but they're very hard to use... my gaiters keep getting stuck inside the boot, no matter how hard I try to keep them folded back.

Auventera Two
Nov. 5, 2007, 11:08 AM
Darnit, the blogs are blocked out for me here at work! :(

Lauren - One thing I've figured out that works really well for putting the boots on (with gaiters)...Put the toe in the boot, then grasp the gaiter in both hands by the ends. Let the horse put their foot down, while you pull up on the gaiter. The boots just snap right on this way without the gaiters getting down inside the back of the boot.

Lauren!
Nov. 5, 2007, 11:59 AM
, the blogs are blocked out for me here at work! :(

Lauren - One thing I've figured out that works really well for putting the boots on (with gaiters)...Put the toe in the boot, then grasp the gaiter in both hands by the ends. Let the horse put their foot down, while you pull up on the gaiter. The boots just snap right on this way without the gaiters getting down inside the back of the boot.

Thanks! I'll try that, but I'm not sure how it will work... maybe if I pound the boots on half way with a mallet first. The boots are a really snug fit... if you didn't know better you'd think there would be no way they'd go on :) It was also suggested that I try Gold Bond powder... that's next on my list!

Loves to ride
Jan. 2, 2008, 10:41 AM
Hi,

Does anyone have any updates as to when the Renegades may be available for the general public?

Thanks in advance...

PasoPerson
Jan. 6, 2008, 09:34 AM
Has anyone used these Renegades on gaited horses? Like many of you, I recently read about these boots in Trail Rider magazine, and am curious for more info. I have a Paso Fino that I trail ride only on, and although he does well barefoot on local ~2 hour rides, I know he will need a boot for longer, organized pleasure trail rides. I have limited mobility due to spinal fusion pelvis to mid spine, so the Easy Bares are intimidating. I have been advised against some of the other brands that are easy to get on, but will cause rubbing on my horse. Any info/advice/ would be appreciated!

Loves to ride
Jan. 6, 2008, 11:20 AM
Bumping to find out if anyone has any updates on when the Renegades might be available?

TIA!

saratoga
Jan. 6, 2008, 12:08 PM
I do not know when they will become available yet but I have to say that I still really like mine. I've had them for about 5 months now- I've done a 25, a 50, jumping lessons and lots of miles at home with them.

I dont see why they wouldnt be good for gaited horses and yes, they are very easy to put on. You dont need any tools or any strength to do it.

The only problem I found with them was when I was up in the mountains on VERY technical trail, where you are climbing up through and among rocks and boulders, my horse on a few occasions got her hind feet kind of wedged into crevices in the boulders and flipped the boots off. The rocks kind of acted like a boot jack. Well actually they didnt come all the way off because the "gaiter" part held them fastened around the ankle and I was easily able to undo it and put it back on again. Actually, the Epic has done the same thing before in a similar situation but they are so much harder to put back on and if you forgot a screwdriver you have to search around for something to use, like a strong stick. So I am wary of using boots on this type of trail but the Renegades have been fabulous otherwise.

Loves to ride
Jan. 15, 2008, 11:17 AM
Anyone? No updates on Renegade availability?

TIA..

sunnhippie
Feb. 4, 2008, 02:18 PM
I bought the Renegade hoof boots from my barefoot farrier for $200 pair (I know, expensive, but really worth it!) Tried on Easyboot Bares for comparison and the Renegades won out instantly. Two velcro straps and they are on! Have ridden over rocks and through lots of deep mud. They stay on and don't move AND they don't rub. The inside has soft neoprene to prevent rubbing. I highly recommend these boots!

marta
Feb. 4, 2008, 02:44 PM
so what's the longest distance you've ridden in them so far?
i'm hoping to pick up my first pair from my trimmer in march or end of february. she says that she's getting positive reports from her clients who have purchased them already. i'm so excited but of course not fully convinced until i try them myself.

pandorasboxx
Feb. 4, 2008, 06:04 PM
Yes. I'd love to hear from those doing 50's with the Renegades in various terrain such as sand, mud and rock. I would hate to spend the money if they are best suited for trail riders.

I have the Epic but it KILLS to get those mf'ers on and stay on without rubbing. I recently went back to shoes until I can work up enough strength to try the Easyboots again.

JLR1
Feb. 4, 2008, 09:30 PM
I use them on both of my horses and LOVE them. They are so much easier to put on than EasyBoots and appear to be a lot more comfortable for the horse. They were a life saver when my mare had ouchy feet this summer. She lives in a 2 acre pasture and was able to wear them without rubs for weeks. I can highly recommend them. My trimmer is a friend of the designer Kirt Lander and she said he really wants the boots to be fitted by a trimmer. It sounded to me that for the time being the only way someone could get a hold of them is through a trimmer. I feel so lucky to have access to them...I know they are a very hot commodity now.

marta
Feb. 5, 2008, 03:26 PM
they look a bit bulkier than bares on some of the photos. but the website has all these claims of success from various distance riders... i have to admit i got all excited:)

saratoga
Feb. 5, 2008, 03:39 PM
They are getting really popular in the SW region, where they are being sold. I did a 50 with them 2 weeks ago, and there were lots of people using them, I saw more of them than Easy Boots. The winner of the 50 had them too.

I have not heard any complaints from anyone using them.

marta
Feb. 5, 2008, 04:33 PM
from that geographic area. which makes me wonder if the success is based on the fact that the conditions there are drier. although it looks like they worked well in the mud for one of the riders. i guess that means they're not slippery on rocks. wonder how they are on grass? although oddly enough my slippage issues in easy care products occurred in mid summer on grass covered dry soil.

saratoga, which color did you get? i'm so not used having color choices re hoof wear;)

saratoga
Feb. 5, 2008, 06:04 PM
I have 2 pairs of red and a pair of orange. (I just got what was available, though these are the best for visibility.) I wish easy care still made theirs in red.

I've ridden through mud and water with them but nothing like what you'd find back east. The ride on the website that said it was muddy- I was at that one too, it was muddy but again, I'm originally from NY so I know what real mud is and we dont have it here!

I never see grass let alone ride on it :0 so dont know about that either!

marta
Feb. 5, 2008, 10:00 PM
My trimmer is from ny state and she sells renegades. She says all of her clients are happy but I don't think any of them are distance riders. Ill just have to experiment on my poor mare (and my even poorer pocketbook;))

livesinbalance
Feb. 18, 2008, 01:09 PM
Help! I am a natural trimmer in search of information on where to get Renegade boots. My clients are asking me for them, and I can't find them! I sen't a message to Saratoga asking for help...then realized someone else might have info as well. I'm sending out all the feelers I can, but can't even find who makes them. I am very impressed with what I have seen so far... Very excited about them!

Robin Long
livesinbalance@aol.com

Maria Wachter
Feb. 21, 2008, 10:32 PM
I just bought a pair of orange renegades for my pony. I tried them out today and loved them. My two horses ride in cavallo's, but the cavallos rubbed the pony's heel bulb. The renegades don't rub at all and stay on a lot better.
My friend is a natural trimmer, she rides in renegades all the time, they last a pretty long time too. She's also a distrubutor for them. Only thing is we are located in Las Vegas, NV. She said the owner of renegades is pretty much doing all the work himself and is looking for a manufactuor in america to make them. She said it takes her anywhere from 1 week to 3 weeks to get them to arrive in the mail for her. She also told me an Easy Boot Edge is in the making and she should be recieving it soon to test them out before they are sold to the public. I guess the edge will be similar to the renegades. Anyways, if you want to find out more about the boots and going barefoot, her webiste has a lot of nice links on it. Check it out! www.hoofauthority.com

Maria

Romantic Rider
Feb. 21, 2008, 10:48 PM
What website talks about these boots? They sound nice. I'm going to have two endurance horses going this summer. One is fine with shoes, the other... well, she has to be drugged to put the nails in. We've honestly tried everything else. But we might be have to get a different farrier who won't do that for us. And this little mare has super feet really. She just would need protection for rocky rides. Easy boots don't stay on, and the gaitors rub her pasterns. That's a lot of money, but if they would last...

psidio
Feb. 22, 2008, 11:35 AM
We have a couple of riders in the Central Region who use Renegades on LD rides. These are mid pack riders. They have had mixed results with them. Some days they work great. Some days they have issues. Coming off, rubbing etc. They are neat looking though.

I think the bad days have wetter/muddier trails involved. When they first came out, I was really excited about them, but now am waiting to see more long distance use in my area.

Plus we use boots over shoes in our long Endurance rides. At the Old Dominion 100, I started with four Bosana Boots and an Easy Boot Bare with gaitor for a spare. I came across the finish line with boots on the front, and steel on the back. At Tevis, I did the same, and finished with steel all around. Pretty pricy to have boots for part of the trip.

Paul N. Sidio
Spokane MO

matryoshka
Feb. 22, 2008, 02:39 PM
I'd like to try the Renegades. At this point, my frustration with boots is so great that I might end up shoeing my guy and bringing the tools, nails, and extra shoes with me on the ride to tack shoes back on myself. He's guaranteed to pull them multiple times.

Maybe endurance riders should learn how to tack shoes on their own horses so they can put pulled shoes back on and not ride with a bare hoof. Actually, endurance riders are more likely to carry an easyboot with gaiter to make it back to a farrier. It's the CTR rides who are screwed if the horse pulls a shoe and they need to use an Easyboot with a gaiter. The gaiter disqualifies them from the ride. Many CTR riders kept going on their horses after a shoe was lost, and some of these horses were SORE.

HrsnHound
Mar. 5, 2008, 05:50 AM
I have Renegades available and can come out to fit, etc. PM me if interested.

Bells
Mar. 5, 2008, 12:05 PM
Where are you located HrsnHound?

HrsnHound
Mar. 5, 2008, 08:23 PM
New Hampshire, southern.

Sobriska
Mar. 5, 2008, 11:11 PM
Hmm, how about a nice FL vacation? Sunny and 74 today:)
Interested in this boot. Lucky that I don't have too many clients in need, but great to have another option:)

Bells
Mar. 6, 2008, 12:59 PM
Any one running around w/these in New Mexico?

PasoPerson
Mar. 25, 2008, 12:18 PM
Hi all - the Renegade hoof boots website is now up and running. Full of information regarding the boots.
www.renegadehoofboots.com

I got my pair; still working out the fitting on my little guy....no hurry as the trails are still covered in snow and ice.

Kirt Lander (owner/inventor) is a great resource and has been enormously helpful in getting my horse fitted, and the boots are a breeze to get on. (as advertised) And, you can't beat the funky colors for fun!

marta
Mar. 25, 2008, 06:07 PM
it's too bad.
hope he decides to expand on his line. although he does say he can cut the back of the boot down by some. hmmm...

MulligansMom
Oct. 8, 2008, 12:24 AM
:cool:
How is it working with your Renegade boots? I am looking for a set of four hoof boots and Renegades were recommended. The only problem is I can't find out where to buy them!

How much did they cost? Are you pleased with them? Have you tried other kinds of boots like Easyboot Epics?

I have a pair of Renegades for my horse and am in the process of ordering another pair for his hind feet. Mully is a throughbred and was given to me as his last rider could not handle him. I have little information about his past.
I bought my pair of Renegades from sallytarbet@msn.com. Seems she is very involved with the Pink Flamingo Classic Endurance and Trail Ride out West and does endurance riding herself. She has been very helpful.
I love my Renegades. I had tried Easyboot Bares which Mully just ran right out of. Then I tried the Boas. Those rotated on his feet, plus when I rode him in rocks the tightning covers popped off. Once those were gone the Boas started to loosen. I tried using duck tape over the boots but they still rotated.
Renegades cost $180 a pair and are well worth it. Mulligan hated putting the Easyboots on....well, let's just say they are not easy to put on and somewhere in his unknow past he must have had a bad experience with a farrier. The Renegades are easy (REALLY EASY) to put on even with a difficult horse. Now Mully could care less when the boots come out. I highly recoment them. 5 stars!!!!

marta
Oct. 8, 2008, 04:05 PM
so many great reviews, wish i could try them on my mare...

WaningMoon
Oct. 11, 2008, 07:19 PM
I wish they come in larger sizes. Guess I'll just stick with my easyboots for now. I have no problems with them at all. Lucky I guess. Also have found them pretty easy to put on and I have a severe spine condition. Just wanted some hind ones and thought I'd try these as they are supposed to be real easy to put on and I like the colors. My girl has big feet.

olgramare
Oct. 14, 2008, 02:19 PM
I have a 4 yo twh and we ran thru a pair in one weekend at Big South Fork.

Love the boots, and the easy way they go on but they just didn't last for me and my horse.::

lalahartma1
Oct. 14, 2008, 04:19 PM
I have a 4 yo twh and we ran thru a pair in one weekend at Big South Fork.

Love the boots, and the easy way they go on but they just didn't last for me and my horse.::

Do you mean they disintergrated, broke or wore through the bottoms?

rmh
Oct. 14, 2008, 04:19 PM
I've put several hundred miles on my Renegades from deep mud to extremely rocky, Iron Mt. Mt Rogers and others, and they are doing great. You just have to make sure the velcro stays clean and when in doubt put in new ones. Very easy swap.

tpup
Oct. 14, 2008, 04:34 PM
Does anyone in NOVA sell the Renegades?

GallopingGrape
Oct. 14, 2008, 04:58 PM
I am applying for distributorship. I'll let everyone know when and if they are available!

Lauren!
Oct. 14, 2008, 06:06 PM
I wish mine had fit my boy a bit better... I tried them on , walked around in the ring, etc. but they never fit as well as Bares did. And he has shoes now, so I suppose I should put them up on the boot swap page anyway. Bummer :no:

Bank of Dad
Oct. 14, 2008, 07:29 PM
What boot swap page? I have lots to swap.

rmh
Oct. 15, 2008, 07:52 AM
You can order them directly. You may need to contact them to set up an account.

Bells
Oct. 15, 2008, 09:44 AM
Bank of Dad:

http://www.naturalhorsetrim.com/boot_swap.htm

marta
Oct. 15, 2008, 03:21 PM
sent you a PM.

deebird46
Jun. 29, 2011, 11:48 AM
They are great! I have only been using them for about 3 months.. and love them already, Wasy to put on and use.
They have a web site that shows how to measure your horses hoof and use these boots.. And order them too.. open to the public. Enjoy! I do : )

libarra027
Feb. 25, 2012, 12:22 AM
You know i currently work at Renegade in Valle Vista AZ, and i was thinking i would see horrible reviews on this product but i havnt came across one! This just makes me proud to work there because first of all ALOT of work goes into the making of those boots....i know i do it everyday but not just in making them but the quality too. There its not about quantity over quality, its vice versa and being from america i would think it'd be the other way around. EVERY PART OF THE BOOT is made in our factory from scratch and only about me and 30 other people work there so the chances of you getting a boot made by me is extremely high!

Aspen70
Mar. 29, 2012, 06:17 PM
Just purchased a pair of Renegades for my Hanoverian mare. She has been barefoot her entire life and has nice feet. Last month she became lame and I found 3 stone bruises on her front hoof. After reading all the positive reviews about these boots, I decided to try them out.
Firstly..the boots are very easy to put on and remove. They fit securely and have not rotated. Just started trotting in the arena to get my girl used to them. They felt great and she felt great. Very happy witht these boots so far.
Does anyone have any experience jumping with these boots? If yes, what heights are you jumping at?