PDA

View Full Version : T3D: Realistic goal??

gr8fulrider
Jul. 16, 2007, 03:14 PM
I've been posting about my lovely mare's progress since I bought her in February. We've gone from crossrails to intro (2'3"-- me) and BN (2'6"-- trainer) since then and I plan to finish the season with a couple of BN horse trials. Our picture is in my signature.

Anyway, when I was a wee one in the 80s I did training but there was no T3D and I never had a prelim-able (word?) horse. Now I'd love to do a T3D, but now I'm an adult amateur single working mother with a young horse.

Would you say that T3D is a reasonable goal for someone with a no-frills TB (she has been called "lovely" by 3 dressage judges and jumps nicely, but she is just a nice OTTB, 16hh), a full-time job, and a kid? My horse has good conformation and her movement gets better all of the time; she likes to jump and nothing scares her. The only thing is that she is, well, velocity-challenged.

Any other adult amateur re-riders out there done/shooting for a T3D? Pros and trainers-- have you gotten a student through this? Would you recommend having such a long-term goal, or just take one day at a time? I am of course focused on BN this year but I'd so like to set my eyes on a T3D in 2010 or 2011.

deltawave
Jul. 16, 2007, 04:12 PM
Oh my, yes!

She's a Thoroughbred and she raced. She can do steeplechase for a T3D (which is only 520mpm) with one hoof tied behind her back. Really. Even the SLOWEST racehorse does its daily workout--NOT speed work--at 800mpm. :) She doesn't have to learn how to gallop...she already knows. You just have to make it part of your training together so YOU are comfortable when she starts laying down a bigger stride. The jumps are NOTHING on steeplechase, mere speedbumps. And a TOTAL BLAST, besides. :D

I work, have a family, and managed to condition for and compete in a T3D with no trouble. Doing a real CCI was tougher time-wise, but my mare (who is only 3/8 TB) gets fit like a TB: very easily. It was not difficult at all.

Go for it! :yes:

3Day-Eventer
Jul. 16, 2007, 04:25 PM
You sound just like the pair that the T3D was made for!! Go for it, and have fun!!

cllane1
Jul. 16, 2007, 04:38 PM
I think it's a great goal! I did my first T3D last year, and even after deciding at the last minute to shoot for it, I had no trouble getting my TB fit. Plus, knowing that I'd be doing a long format like the pros really motivated me!

A word of caution: don't forget to get yourself fit as well. I concentrated too much on my horse and not enough on myself, and I was gasping by the end of steeplechase, and my arms were weak as noodles by the end of x-c! I'd recommend lots of cardio and maybe some weight training.

Have a blast!

TheOtherHorse
Jul. 16, 2007, 06:06 PM
I sure hope it is a reasonable goal-- that is my current goal too. Well, aside from the more immediate goal of keeping my horse sound long enough to get there... :rolleyes:

yellowbritches
Jul. 16, 2007, 06:34 PM
YOU are exactly who they were thinking of when they created the T3DE. It is a very good goal to work toward, and you should be just fine.

CookiePony
Jul. 16, 2007, 07:39 PM
This is an inspirational thread. :D

Westlaw-- maybe we can make a pact for 2010!

Whisper
Jul. 16, 2007, 09:08 PM
I think the two of you will be able to make it, and I'm really looking forward to cheering you on as you work toward it! I have that as my long-term eventing goal as well, but it wouldn't be realistic with the horse I'm currently riding. While he went Training in the past, he's sticking to Novice and below now that he's 17.

gr8fulrider
Jul. 16, 2007, 09:09 PM
This is an inspirational thread. :D

Westlaw-- maybe we can make a pact for 2010!

I would love that! COTHer Debbie also mentioned wanting to do a T3D in 2010. Are we witnessing the birth of the T3D Pact Clique??

I would love to share ups and downs and goals and progress with you and any other folks who dare to join our band of merry eventers. :D Pacts work for weight loss-- here's hoping that they work for bravery and stamina! I did my first marathon with no training buddies and I've always wanted to try something with a training team.

So now that you've given us the encouragement and inspiration, who's going to help keep me and CookiePony (and Debbie, if you're still in!) stay on the path to glory???

colliemom
Jul. 17, 2007, 11:58 AM
Would you say that T3D is a reasonable goal for someone with a no-frills TB (she has been called "lovely" by 3 dressage judges and jumps nicely, but she is just a nice OTTB, 16hh), a full-time job, and a kid? My horse has good conformation and her movement gets better all of the time; she likes to jump and nothing scares her. The only thing is that she is, well, velocity-challenged.

How sad to think that a horse breed that used to be considered the absolute must-have for our sport is now seen as no-frills and "just a nice OTTB"... (and I'm not at all criticizing you or your description, just commenting on trends!)

This sport is all about "no frills" !!! It does not take a fancy expensive non-thoroughbred to compete and sucdeed!

And as others have already pointed out, you are exactly what the T3D is all about. GO FOR IT! I competed 2 years ago, on my OTTB (chestnut!) mare, and we had a blast. Went off course in SJ sitting in 2nd place (which I will never ever forgive myself for) but it was still a great experience.

Good luck, and we'd love to follow your progress!!

(Loving my OTTB's and will stick with them -- they're THE BEST! Not always the easiest, mind you ... ;) but you can't beat their heart or mind!)

imapepper
Jul. 17, 2007, 12:13 PM
Okay, I hadn't heard of the T3D. The idea sounds like great fun. Where is the schedule for these events? I have a great little TB jumper mare that would love the steeplechase and cross country part of the 3 day and she is a very clean jumper. Maybe by 2010 we might be able to do a presentable dressage test ;) Because right now....we would be 2 letters late on every transition :winkgrin:

FoxChaser
Jul. 17, 2007, 01:12 PM
imapepper, you can find out all about the T3DE here: http://www.useventing.com/competitions.php?section=training3day Count me in on the pact! I'm hoping to get there sooner than 2010 on my current horse, but he is having all kinds of problems at the moment, so I'm actually going out tomorrow to look at a new prospect. That one might be ready by 2010 :) Anyway, count me in!!!!

TB_eventer
Jul. 17, 2007, 02:56 PM
I'm actually hoping to get there bofore then too, but you can never tell! My boy and I are only going BN now (with not much $ for events, so it may take us til then, but we'll get there! :D )

imapepper
Jul. 17, 2007, 03:26 PM
Foxchaser: Thanks for the link. I wish I had known about these earlier. I would have been training for Meadowcreek in Kosse. I have always wanted to ride a steeplechase course and do a 3 day but never wanted to do the size over fixed jumps. I don't mind when they get a little bigger in the ring but on cross country.....after training level those fences can get pretty intimidating. I remember watching one of the Olympics and thinking "Holy Cr@p, they really are jumping houses" :lol:

LisaB
Jul. 17, 2007, 03:56 PM
Ummm, yeah, TB NOT doing a 3 day??? Puhleeze!
How about an Amish reject winning the darn thing?
Whee!
http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=308E00LE060383&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1
http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=308E00LE060384&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1&d=0&pphoto=308E00LE060383
http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=308E00LE030000&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1
http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=308E00LE030224&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1
http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=308E00LE070016&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1

Tuckertoo
Jul. 17, 2007, 04:08 PM
I wanna be in a pact. I too would like to get there before 2010, but I am only going BN right now and with how things are going lately it might take a while to get to training. But I still wanna be in a pact!:D

CookiePony
Jul. 17, 2007, 04:19 PM
Westlaw, I just PMed you back. ;)

Folks, should we call this the T3DE 2010 Pact Clique?

Like most of us (except FoxChaser), I'm at BN with my guy. I think it would really kick our game up a notch if we are shooting for something, and if we have accountability to a group to keep working on it.

tommygirl and hrg, are you reading this? what do you think?

LisaB, I love the smile on your face in the first SC pic. :cool:

gr8fulrider
Jul. 17, 2007, 04:37 PM
Westlaw, I just PMed you back. ;)

Folks, should we call this the T3DE 2010 Pact Clique?

Like most of us (except FoxChaser), I'm at BN with my guy. I think it would really kick our game up a notch if we are shooting for something, and if we have accountability to a group to keep working on it.

tommygirl and hrg, are you reading this? what do you think?

LisaB, I love the smile on your face in the first SC pic. :cool:

LisaB-- you're my hero.
CookiePony-- I'm in. Any others-- join us!!!

imapepper
Jul. 17, 2007, 04:45 PM
Ummm, yeah, TB NOT doing a 3 day??? Puhleeze!
How about an Amish reject winning the darn thing?
Whee!
http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=308E00LE060383&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1
http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=308E00LE060384&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1&d=0&pphoto=308E00LE060383
http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=308E00LE030000&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1
http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=308E00LE030224&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1
http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=308E00LE070016&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1

Obviously the Amish have no taste in horses ;) I guess I really don't have to worry about offending the Amish on the BB :winkgrin: And I am in....I haven't evented this mare but...if she can jump around the Chicken Adult Jumpers, she probably can event at training if we can figure out the dressage part :)

LisaB
Jul. 17, 2007, 04:49 PM
Yes, Pam Weidemann was watching our SC and said she can see my smile clear across the field :D
It was SUCH a blast! I have a hard time believing that if you really have a 3 day horse that's really truly a **** competitor, that they aren't a total blast on steeplechase.

CookiePony
Jul. 17, 2007, 06:29 PM
OK-- those of you who expressed interest in the pact will be getting a PM. :winkgrin:

KBG Eventer
Jul. 17, 2007, 06:58 PM
I want to join the the pact! :) We're at Novice.

I might be aiming more for 2009, but A LOT can happen between now and then.

I have a "no frills" Paint, and I have no doubt that *he* can do the Training 3-Day just fine so I highly doubt that your TB mare couldn't do it! :yes:

http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/prsm.dll?eventorder?photo=0BEF004W3M0000&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1 Sonny and I at out first Novice in the beginning of June. Won the dressage cause we're both good at that...we did have some bobbles like me falling off at the ditch (all my fault), but we finished!

Debbie
Jul. 18, 2007, 10:42 AM
I've had a super sucky few days, but this thread has me ready to get back on track! I'm definitely up for the pact and if I don't get there in 2010 on my horse, I'll definitely be there to cheer on and groom for those that do.

My absolutely amazing in every way IDSH 4 year old mare was diagnosed with Wobblers this week. We are looking at surgery or life as a pasture pet. My vet didn't think eventing was in her future even with the surgery, but I think he thought I was aiming for upper levels. She still may not be a good bet for anything beyond Novice, but I have a 3 year old that will have big hoofprints to fill. She may not be quite (me either) ready by 2010, but it's a goal.

Invested1
Jul. 18, 2007, 11:04 AM
Well, I was aiming at the T3D for this year....until I broke my hand and my cast really gets in the way of riding/competing. :lol:

Guess I'll shoot for next year. :sigh:

TheOtherHorse
Jul. 18, 2007, 11:43 AM
The pact is a great idea! I feel more motivated already. :yes:

retreadeventer
Jul. 18, 2007, 11:30 PM
Me too. Altho I am already involved a little bit with the Area II Adult Riders one at Waredaca in October I too would love to ride in one. Just waiting on greenies and lamies!
http://trainingthreedayevent.googlepages.com

TheOtherHorse
Jul. 19, 2007, 09:09 AM
Just waiting on greenies and lamies!

:lol: I know that feeling all too well these days! The 2010 goal will hopefully be enough time to bring along the greenies though... At least I'm hoping so! :winkgrin:

CookiePony
Jul. 19, 2007, 11:36 AM
Nice site retread... I'm not in Area II but I will bookmark it. :)

eponacowgirl
Jul. 21, 2007, 12:37 AM
Aaaaaand... I missed the boat... just found this thread (thanks to CookiePony) and I'd actually made it my goal about a month ago to make it to T3D with my current horse- my trainer thinks he'll max out at 4' in the arena, and we schooled some weenie training stuff at a clinic not too long ago. He's brave, and as long as I just put my leg on, he'll go.

Long story short, I think, pending time and money (mostly money), that we'll be able to do it. And 2010 sound about right. Am I too late to join?

gr8fulrider
Jul. 21, 2007, 11:46 AM
Aaaaaand... I missed the boat... just found this thread (thanks to CookiePony) and I'd actually made it my goal about a month ago to make it to T3D with my current horse- my trainer thinks he'll max out at 4' in the arena, and we schooled some weenie training stuff at a clinic not too long ago. He's brave, and as long as I just put my leg on, he'll go.

Long story short, I think, pending time and money (mostly money), that we'll be able to do it. And 2010 sound about right. Am I too late to join?

Not too late at all!! Unfortunately I'm not adept at using the Yahoo group, so PM cookiepony about how to get on the thing. :)

RunForIt
Jul. 21, 2007, 01:47 PM
As CookiePony said in her "introduction" on the Yahoo group, giving yourself a goal is good for you - making that goal public is a HUGE motivation. :yes:

With Rasta's debut at BN still ahead of him in September at Poplar Place, the T3D in 2010 seems an attainable goal - we'll go for it in 2010! :yes: :cool: Will need lots of encouragement, and luck - Rasta has the talent, I've just got to stick to lessons and getting better. Please, please, please, shine on us dear, Lady Luck! :D

melodiousaphony
Oct. 24, 2007, 10:37 PM
Can I join?

We're just about ready to move up to Novice in the spring (were going to at the end of this season but it wasn't our day)... so by 2010, maybe?

drjuliea
Oct. 25, 2007, 07:07 AM
Me, me, me!! We've gone from cross-rails to novice in the past 12 months, but our stadium is still rather, um, exciting, but I so want to do this. I've been the vet at the Waredaca T3D and it is such a blast just to be around!!

I'm in!

PiedPiper
Oct. 25, 2007, 07:22 AM
Sign me up as well! :D I am aiming for it by next fall as we are moving up to Training next weekend (and this horse has already done a *).

I am very excited about the prospect of it! My goal is the 1/2* next year, move up to Prelim and then contemplate a *. Will see if this guy stays sound and continues to truck me along. :D

Xctrygirl
Oct. 25, 2007, 07:26 AM
Oh my, yes!

Even the SLOWEST racehorse does its daily workout--NOT speed work--at 800mpm. :) She doesn't have to learn how to gallop...she already knows.

DW, you should know better than this..

800 mpm is a two minute lick, or 30 mph. IE, a high rate of speed. A normal racehorse gallops daily at around 450-600 mpm. NOT 800 on a daily basis. Well not unless its running off!!

As to Westlaw's mare being velocity challenged... Ask yourself is she challenged herself or does she pick up on your reticence to be "velocity enhanced???"

I can think of 3 horses over the years that people swore were slow as molasses. I got on and my "forward mindedness" took over and in minutes we were flying around rings, fields, etc. Usually with their people staring and gaping. And most always the comments after are "OMG, he/she moves!!"

Your comfort levels and fears are things that our beloved partners DO pick up on.

Just my thoughts.

~Emily

c_expresso
Oct. 25, 2007, 07:37 AM
I want in also :D My horse is moving up to training next weekend. My goal is the Waredaca T3D next fall, and also move up to prelim at schooling shows next fall. I am hoping for Morven Park 1* in fall '09. Okay so I plan ahead a little too much... :lol:

Fence2Fence
Oct. 25, 2007, 07:48 AM
Me too! I want to be in the pact too!!!! Puh-leeze??

hopefull
Oct. 25, 2007, 09:35 AM
count me and my 4 yr old OTTB in! Now that he's finally beginning to figure out how to use all 4 legs without tripping himself we might be able to set goals like that:lol:

Catalina
Oct. 25, 2007, 09:50 AM
Whoa! Hold on! Wait a minute! Stop the presses!!!!!

Is this the same Westlaw that was shaking in her boots over the prospect of Elementary not too long ago? ;) And now you are aiming for the T3D?!?!?!? You go girl!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D That is so awesome!

I have never jumped my new guy XC, but I think that the 2010 T3D might be a good goal for us. Please count me in!

asterix
Oct. 25, 2007, 10:06 AM
First of all, this is a GREAT goal and I am SURE all of you have the horses and the motivation to do it. Have fun!!!

Secondly, for anyone who believes their horse is velocity-challenged, let me introduce my horse. He's big. Really big. A warmblood. A dressage refugee who had never even done trot sets (much less galloped) until I bought him 3 years ago.

First horse trial, I had to KICK to make time at novice.

We moved up to training. I was still kicking. We often got time faults.

We prepped for the T3d. I spent a lot of time kicking during conditioning (I still have to kick, even in trot sets. He's just not very interested in them :lol:).

I got really worried he wasn't fit enough, even though I prepped out the wazoo (see the famous "10 week T3d fitness schedule" available on demand by PM).

We got out on steeplechase. I started kicking. We were down on our first minute marker. Suddenly, a slow burning, but sturdy, lightbulb went off in his German-horse brain...zoom!

He started actually flying along. We made up time and crossed the B finish line in plenty of time. He sailed through the vet box with great numbers and blasted out of the box on D like he actually was an event horse.

That was the end of getting time faults at Training. The T3d totally changed this horse.

Now we are moving up to Prelim, and I'm sure we won't make time for a while -- but even my very skeptical trainer had to admit, at our last school, that he has learned how to gallop, and will make time once we get some mileage at this level.

So don't let this stop you -- it will help you get "up to speed" and you will have so much fun doing it!!!

Nancy!
Oct. 25, 2007, 10:14 AM
Can you please PM me the 10 week 3d fitness schedule?

It is always great when they realize they can actually run.

Nancy!

asterix
Oct. 25, 2007, 10:46 AM
Coming your way :)

gr8fulrider
Oct. 25, 2007, 11:29 AM
Whoa! Hold on! Wait a minute! Stop the presses!!!!!

Is this the same Westlaw that was shaking in her boots over the prospect of Elementary not too long ago? ;) And now you are aiming for the T3D?!?!?!? You go girl!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D That is so awesome!

I have never jumped my new guy XC, but I think that the 2010 T3D might be a good goal for us. Please count me in!

Yay!! PM me your email and I'll get you into the Yahoo group. In fact, anyone who wants in, do that.

Yes, I have really gained confidence this season. What started out as a "what the heck, it'd be fun to crawl around FMF's little logs and banks" project has turned into something I really feel I can do. Going from crossrails to recognized BN probably takes the big girls about two months but I was thrilled that the greenie Buglet and I did it in a season, particularly since I have a kid, a full-time job, I live 45 minutes from the barn, and I can ride a couple of times per week. But now I've jumped some novice fences and it feels great. We have a lot of work to do on our fitness and dressage, and learn to jump more of the fences out of stride, and get my focus better...well we just have a lot to learn. But it feels like we've made an important transition somewhere along the way from the two clueless beings we were in the beginning.

In three years we'll know so much, and my horse will be 8-- a nice age-- and I've noticed that if the fences just get a little bigger each time, it really doesn't bother me. AND that the larger fences ride better. What the heck is with that?????

So yeah, I'm really going for it, Catalina. :D

Me and the Buglet in May:
http://inlinethumb21.webshots.com/22612/2318257440100380233S600x600Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2318257440100380233JXHxsC)

In September:
http://inlinethumb04.webshots.com/16515/2322001060100380233S600x600Q85.jpg (http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2322001060100380233dGiYuC)

In October:
http://inlinethumb60.webshots.com/25979/2883506740100380233S600x600Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2883506740100380233WbNTlm)

Next year I'd like to post the same season overview with BN at the beginning and recognized N at the end. Again, modest progress for the real riders (Xctrygirl can actually do this between breakfast and lunch), but for an Inside-the-Beltway policy wonk, it's pretty satisfying progress.

ss3777
Oct. 25, 2007, 11:33 AM
wow, great thread. I think I qualify:

freebie no frills ottb going BN now (and that took 3 years!)
working mom

Now if we can only get past that water issue!!!!

I will have to debut in area one, hopefully GMHA will still have one.

Off to work on the logo!!!

missamandarose
Oct. 25, 2007, 11:45 AM
I think I'd like to get to a T3D, too, but I dunno if I can get there in less than 3 yrs! My goals have been set to do some schooling CT's this winter/spring, and do my first BN late next summer or fall. Having never jumped more than 2' 3", the goal seems a little daunting, but I have faith in the mare I lease (she is a little jumping machine). Now, if we can keep her sound (knock on wood) we're in good shape. She was lame about a year and a half ago before I leased her, but she is in GREAT shape now! And at 10 we are hoping she'll stay that way!

c_expresso
Oct. 25, 2007, 02:07 PM
Could I please me PMed the 10 week schedule too? Many thanks from c_expresso and her soon to be speedy ISH :lol:

LLDM
Oct. 25, 2007, 04:42 PM
Hey, can anyone get in on this action? I saw this thread when it first started and have since had the conversation with my trainer. She thinks it's a great idea. :D So what's the secret handshake?

SCFarm

artienallie
Oct. 25, 2007, 05:10 PM
Westlaw - you have a PM!

Allie and I need a long term goal, and what better goal than the 2010 T3D? We're pretty solid BN now, so I think it's realistic.

gr8fulrider
Oct. 25, 2007, 05:26 PM
Glad folks are joining!

People who PMd me-- if you didn't get an invite to T3DE yet, please re-send your emails and I'll try again. I had a little flub with Yahoo but it's fixed.

LLDM
Oct. 25, 2007, 05:56 PM
Mine worked great! I'm in - now to figure out the threads work...;)

Thank You!

SCFarm

Debbie
Oct. 25, 2007, 08:27 PM
I'm glad this thread came back up! I think we should dig it up every quarter and do a progress report.

So far I don't have much progress to report towards an actual eventing re-debut, but 3 months ago I was waiting to back my 3 year old and having health issues with the 4 year old. I'm not sure which one of my girls is going to be the ride in 2010 (or '11), but they are now both under saddle and going well. I have my first o/f lessons since June scheduled in two weeks and hopefully we'll start the trek towards an event early next year. Woohooo...

FLeckenAwesome
Oct. 25, 2007, 08:36 PM
ooooh, can i join too?!!

we're a well......no frills isn't the right word.... well, maybe it is... no frills, but boy are we LOUD!!! appy :)
but we're moving up to training next month GULP!!! and i've been thinking about doing the T3D :) so can i be in?!
i'm not a mom, but i work nights and most weekends, so..... only get to show every 4th weekend IF i'm lucky. which... is about all my checking account can handle anyways ;)

how fun....

KGB: i was at that show!!! i remember thinking what a cool name your horse had. i love it!!! he's super cute too.

asterix: can you PM me that info too please!

CookiePony
Oct. 25, 2007, 08:45 PM
Flecken-- sent you a PM.

If anyone who wants to join doesn't have the info yet, PM me or Westlaw.

And keep your fingers crossed for the footing at Waredaca tomorrow!

KBG Eventer
Oct. 25, 2007, 10:54 PM
ooooh, can i join too?!!

we're a well......no frills isn't the right word.... well, maybe it is... no frills, but boy are we LOUD!!! appy :)
but we're moving up to training next month GULP!!! and i've been thinking about doing the T3D :) so can i be in?!
i'm not a mom, but i work nights and most weekends, so..... only get to show every 4th weekend IF i'm lucky. which... is about all my checking account can handle anyways ;)

how fun....

KGB: i was at that show!!! i remember thinking what a cool name your horse had. i love it!!! he's super cute too.

asterix: can you PM me that info too please!

Thanks! He such a great horse. I loff him! And we have now overcome our ditch issues in thanks to tommygirl who told me to think chin up at ditches. That is why Sonny is making me such a better rider. That one difference of looking up (and well now with Bill Hoos I learned that I have to put my leg on in front of a fence, lol, never knew that with Mr. Packer Tyler :lol:) makes all the difference in the world. Stadium now...is still a bit wild. I swear sometimes he gets more pumped for stadium then cross country!

FLeckenAwesome
Oct. 26, 2007, 02:41 AM
ah yeah... we did that too.... now i have to think.... leg on, get in four wheel drive, sit deep and stay BEHIND the motion, cause heaven forbid i get even the slightest bit ahead of him, hands low and wide.... jeesh! is that all? oh yeah, chin up helps too :)

:)
speaking of ditches.... we're thinking about going training at pine top over Thanksgiving weekend. Not the best move up choice, but.... oh well. and now i think i might have to jump that giant trakenher!!! which... i like better than plain ditches and fleck jumps the big ditch better than the small one, but.....lordy that's a big trakenher!!!!

tommygirl
Oct. 26, 2007, 09:29 AM
Sounds like a great goal! I'll be cheering everyone on! If anyone wants to learn about doing a 3-day, go to hagyard/midsouth and volunteer. They have great lectures, etc... Also, I'll be running my mare in a T3D in July of 08 if anyone wants to come alone. CookiePony and RunForIt will hopefully be there too :)

FLeckenAwesome
Oct. 26, 2007, 12:21 PM
ooooh, where and when specifically?? i'll come cheer you on if i can :)

i'm so bummed. because of the lack of rain, my XC schooling got cancelled. i don't want to be the person that HAS to school at the place i'm going to show at before every show. BUT.... it would be nice before my first training level 3 phase. I'm sooooo bummed. we've still got another week or two before it closes, but trying to coordinate going with my friend or a coach while i work almost every weekend makes it about darn near impossible. argh.... i'm so bummed. so now i'm freakin' out! this place is known to not be a move up course, but somehow i got locked into going by having friends make me promise to go with them and then backing out and having other friends want a ride and have their entries in already. argh.... what do i do?! just suck it up, school elsewhere, and attempt training and hope i don't die? or drop down and do novice. cancel and tell the friend SORRY, no ride! and go to jumping branches schooling show the next weekend if i can manage to rearrange my work schedule????
argh......maybe i'll manage to get to school it before then.

tommygirl
Oct. 26, 2007, 12:34 PM
I am shooting for South Farm in Middlefield, OH. - Jul 04-06, 2008!

CookiePony
Oct. 26, 2007, 01:24 PM
I am shooting for South Farm in Middlefield, OH. - Jul 04-06, 2008!

Awesome-- I'm putting it on my calendar now-- road trip!! RunForIt can drive up to Nashville and then we can carpool to OH.

Any possibility Hagyard/Midsouth will ever run a T3DE?

curlykarot
Oct. 26, 2007, 01:30 PM
Ok, I want in too! I think the only thing that would hold my horse back would be me :) but I'm working on that.

Westlaw - I'll PM you my e-mail

tommygirl
Oct. 26, 2007, 01:33 PM
Any possibility Hagyard/Midsouth will ever run a T3DE?

I am working on that!!

FLeckenAwesome
Oct. 26, 2007, 04:07 PM
tommygirl..... ooops, that's too far for me :) sorry... but i'll be cheering you on from here :) and expecting a full report of how it went and all the details ;)

Putter
Oct. 26, 2007, 09:32 PM
Sign me up!!!!

I volunteered as one of the vet box assistants today at Waredaca. The atmosphere of excitement was infectious. Despite the rain which left us all soaking wet by the end of the day, everyone was still smiling and good natured. (Lesson learned: If you bring waterproof pants but don't put them on, it will rain harder). Next year when I volunteer I will bring the pants and wear them!

It was while watching steeplechase that I decided the T3DE was something that I want to do.

Of course after we were done for the day, we walked the course. My horse could certainly do it. I would be comfortable jumping 5 or 6 of the fences now...luckily I have another few years to get up the nerve to jump the rest!

Yes, for those of you who know me...I am serious!!!!! Training here we come! :D