WHAT A RACE!!!

Oh, only if I had boxed my exacta......

But wow, that was beautiful.

Kinsella
Jun. 9, 2007, 06:37 PM
I wonder how long it will be before Darley tries to buy her... :lol:

Nikki^
Jun. 9, 2007, 06:38 PM
Did you see her messing with Curlin? Letting him catch up then running away?

Wow, my b-day is today and this is a wonderful gift!!!!:D

AppJumpr08
Jun. 9, 2007, 06:38 PM
What an awesome race!!!!!
Wish I'd been somewhere to put money on it... I had picked her first and Curlin second :D:D:D:D

Buffyblue
Jun. 9, 2007, 06:39 PM
TOTALLY FLAWLESS! WOOO HOOO!!

Melelio
Jun. 9, 2007, 06:41 PM
Dang I'm still crying. What a great race! Perfect timing for honoring Ruffian in her movie, too....

tm
Jun. 9, 2007, 06:42 PM
Talk about a filly with some 'tude! Her ears were flat back on her neck all the way down the stretch. She was probably talking trash to Curlin the whole time.

kellyb
Jun. 9, 2007, 06:42 PM
That was AWESOME!!! What a race. God the final stretch had me riding right along with her.

Claddagh
Jun. 9, 2007, 06:43 PM
Awesome!!! She was my pick too! We may not have a Triple Crown winner but this is just as good - first filly to win the Belmont in 105 years! You go girl! :yes::yes::yes::D

EnviroGA
My OTTB is in love :winkgrin:

Gucci Cowgirl
Holy crap the filly won.

I am speechless. She toyed with Curlin as if it were a game...what a stunning race!

That was one for the record books. Maybe we have a modern day Ruffian?

BTW, what is with the horrible quality of the EXPN coverage? mikes not working, double sound, satellite issues etc.

FirstLadyJrJpr
Jun. 9, 2007, 06:44 PM
It was AWESOME!!! Poor Curlin got his heart broken yet again :( haha...

what a day for the ladies :) sorry gents! ;)

K~2
Jun. 9, 2007, 06:44 PM
What a brilliant race.

Kinsella
Jun. 9, 2007, 06:45 PM
My dogs were even going nuts... I was screaming and they were barking - glad there is no one next door!!! It was a beautiful race and I hopehopehope she does the Classic and kicks some more boy butt!

WindyIsles
Jun. 9, 2007, 06:47 PM
GO GIRL!!

I was SCREAMING at the screen she was FANTASTIC! She got the worst of it too - stumbled at the start and got carried wide around the turn - Curlin got the perfect trip and she still nailed him!

Hats off to Curlin he ran his heart out but Rags to Riches was just BETTER!

YOU GO GIRL!! :D:D:D

DLee
Jun. 9, 2007, 06:50 PM
If someone beat Curlin, I had picked her.... WHAT a horserace!! They were both amazing, what a pretty face to stick out in front!!!:yes::yes:

Velvet
Jun. 9, 2007, 06:52 PM
Now THAT was a horse race! What an amazingly talented/athletic and beautiful filly!

Anne FS
Jun. 9, 2007, 06:52 PM
What fun! I was yelling Go! Go! Run, Filly! RUN! RUN! Come O-O-N-N-N, Filly!

And when it was over and I turned around to go sit down on the couch I saw my neighbors across the street staring at my house, which of course had the windows all open.

tbtrailrider
Jun. 9, 2007, 06:54 PM
I missed it.
Where can I see a replay ?

Platinum Equestrian
Jun. 9, 2007, 06:54 PM
What a beautiful mare!

pwynnnorman
Jun. 9, 2007, 06:55 PM
Wow-o-wow!!! I haven't enjoyed a race that much in ages! I couldnl't believe it when they were four-wide and she and Curlin squeezed through. What heart those TBs have!

And the thing is, she's GORGEOUS! So many successful mares seem so masculine. She just has GOT to be the most feminine stakes winner in a long time.

But I keep missing her dam's name.

Hey, ya think maybe she heard that the movie about Ruffian is coming on TV tonight and got INSPIRED? :D

Anne FS
Jun. 9, 2007, 06:58 PM
Give it a bit to get up, but Sports Illustrated should have it.

www.si.com

Across the top all the sports are listed. Click on "MORE" on the right and the drop-down box will list "Horse Racing."

No video up yet but the race just ended.

Christa P
Jun. 9, 2007, 06:59 PM
Just heard on the postrace, the dam of Rags to Riches is ALSO the Dam of last years winner :eek:.

What are the chances of THAT!

Forget Rags to Riches - How much is her dam worth?

Christa P

Christa P
Jun. 9, 2007, 07:01 PM
Her dams' name is Better Than Honour.

Christa P

Anne FS
Jun. 9, 2007, 07:03 PM
Just heard on the postrace, the dam of Rags to Riches is ALSO the Dam of last years winner :eek:.

What are the chances of THAT!

heehee. I would think EXCELLENT. :D

Why do you think she won? Her daddy and her granddaddy both won the Belmont, and she's also a half-sister to last year's winner. So mommy and daddy both have successful Belmont blood. It's that distance-race breeding that led them to enter her in the first place!

Drvmb1ggl3
Jun. 9, 2007, 07:03 PM
I wonder how long it will be before Darley tries to buy her... :lol:

Can't happen, she's owned by Coolmore.

Fair play to Tabor for putting her in and I hope they let her at the boys a few more times. That's the one thing that bugs me about Dirt racing, you rarely see fillies/mares run against males at the top end like you do on Grass, it adds a whole other dimension when the likes of Ouija Board, Pride, Borgia, Makybe Diva etc would go toe to toe with the boys.

Btw, you can't beat breeding, can you?

Sannois
Jun. 9, 2007, 07:04 PM
The minute I saw her I thought hmmm Chestnut TB filly with attitude! Shes got it won before she ever left the gate. Awesome race. First time I screamed at the TV in years! :D

WindyIsles
Jun. 9, 2007, 07:05 PM

Why do you think she won? Her daddy won the Belmont, and she's also a half-sister to last year's winner. It's that distance-race breeding that led them to enter her in the first place!

First time in history they said that siblings won back to back!

Kinsella
Jun. 9, 2007, 07:09 PM
Can't happen, she's owned by Coolmore.I know - but since Darley is buying up the breeding rights to everything that wins big I thought it was a funny thought.

Btw, you can't beat breeding, can you?Nope!!! What's that phrase? "Blood will tell" or something??

Texarkana
Jun. 9, 2007, 07:11 PM
That was a fun race. :)

...and, I bet ABC is brimming with excitement that she won. What could be a better ratings booster for their movie about one of greatest fillies in history than to have a filly win the Belmont? :yes:

regret
Jun. 9, 2007, 07:14 PM
That was a great race. I was screaming at my tv.

Anne FS
Jun. 9, 2007, 07:15 PM
Btw, you can't beat breeding, can you?

Maybe such excitement caused by a horse so solidly bred for distance will get people breeding for distance again.

The commentators who each year explain to the viewers the difference that extra length makes in the Belmont were saying that since there just aren't races this long anymore, no one bothers to breed for them.

Guess that was proven not so today. Maybe more will do it now, seeing such success.

chism
Jun. 9, 2007, 07:18 PM
I believe her brothers name was Jazil (?!) or something similar, he won last year.
It was an amazing race, to stumble out the gate, come up the long side and pull ahead to win. Simply amazing. I agree...she was definitely talking some trash to Curlin. Did you see those ears? ;)

Texarkana
Jun. 9, 2007, 07:19 PM
Maybe such excitement caused by a horse so solidly bred for distance will get people breeding for distance again.

Maybe... but I think in order to get people excited about breeding for distance, there needs to be some incentive (i.e. more races with big purses). I don't see that one happening any time soon.

La Gringa
Jun. 9, 2007, 07:21 PM
I was so excited, cheering Go Filly! Go Filly! I was so happy! Wonderful race!! Interesting that the last two Belmont winners were produced by the same mare!!

Girl Power!! Woooo Hoooo!!! :D

bugsynskeeter
Jun. 9, 2007, 07:23 PM
I believe her brothers name was Jazil (?!) or something similar, he won last year.
Not only was Rags to Riches the first filly to win in a triple crown race in 102 years, she was the first ever to win the Belmont. It was an amazing race, to stumble out the gate, come up the long side and pull ahead to win. Simply amazing. I agree...she was definitely talking some trash to Curlin. Did you see those ears? ;)

She was the first filly in 102 years to win the Belmont. She was the first filly to win at its current distance of 1.5 miles. However, there have been several fillies that have won the Derby (Genuine Risk, wtc...)

I was cheering the whole way down the stretch. I had goosebumps all over from her!

CaSaNoVa14
Jun. 9, 2007, 07:26 PM
AWESOME RACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was so excited when she won. Now THat was a HORSE RACE!!!! You go girl:)

Christa P
Jun. 9, 2007, 07:27 PM
Not only was Rags to Riches the first filly to win in a triple crown race in 102 years, she was the first ever to win the Belmont. It was an amazing race, to stumble out the gate, come up the long side and pull ahead to win. Simply amazing. I agree...she was definitely talking some trash to Curlin. Did you see those ears? ;)

Actually she is the first filly to win the Belmont in 102 years. There have been a few fillies that have won the Derby - Genuine Risk (1980) and Winning Colors (1988). Also looking at the Preakness there were 4 filly winners total, though none since 1915.

Christa P

msj
Jun. 9, 2007, 07:27 PM
I'd love to see her bred though to Curlin. What a magnificant foal that would be. He's so masculine and she's so feminine!:D

My dog went wild when the stretch run was taking place since I was screaming at the TV (naturally for Rags)!

But putting a few things in perspective, Curlin had come off 2 grueling races with the Derby and Preakness and had only a 3 wk break while she had over 5 wks break from the Wood. But believe me, I'm not trying to diminish her win - she was fabulous! :D :D :D

FourWands
Jun. 9, 2007, 07:30 PM
Actually she is the first filly to win the Belmont in 102 years. There have been a few fillies that have won the Derby - Genuine Risk (1980) and Winning Colors (1988). Also looking at the Preakness there were 4 filly winners total, though none since 1915.

Christa P
Don't forget Regret! I think she is 1915 (that's off the top of my head... so forgive me if I am wrong on the year!)

pwynnnorman
Jun. 9, 2007, 07:31 PM
I wish they had more longer races. I think they are much more fun to watch because of the strategy invovled. The short races are over too quickly. This filly's stumble at the gate was a good example of the kind of excite a longer race can produce. Even the gray horse trailing for so long ended up 5th, I think.

Why do Americans have to need everything to be done quickly?

BTW, I was surprised the owner (or was it trainer?) said he'd like her to run in the Alabama. You'd think they'd get to her the breeding shed asap.

Now, who do you suppose she'd be bred to, hypothetically??? Also, I know she's AP Indy on top, but what's the sire line on the bottom?

FourWands
Jun. 9, 2007, 07:34 PM
BTW, I was surprised the owner (or was it trainer?) said he'd like her to run in the Alabama. You'd think they'd get to her the breeding shed asap.

No point in getting her in the breeding shed this year. It's June. May babies are really late babies for thoroughbreds. Breed her next year in February...
The real question is... to whom?

ahf
Jun. 9, 2007, 07:36 PM
I don't expect to see that again in my lifetime. I can't say I was screaming...I was silent because I was in awe. The look of complete domination was on her face throughout the stretch run. If she said anything to Curlin, it was "I don't THINK so baby boy!"

Lynnwood
Jun. 9, 2007, 07:42 PM
How fitting to see a filly go out with the boys...gut in out and win on the eve of Ruffians movie!
Further more how almost erie that the filly pulled a head as she passed Ruffians grave. Maybe a dark filly from the past ..lent her wings to the new queen of speed!

I loved when the announcer said she gutted it out and spit in their eye!

Wow and an owner that admits he put the filly in because its what the public wanted to see.

You Go Girl!

rcloisonne
Jun. 9, 2007, 07:42 PM
INow, who do you suppose she'd be bred to, hypothetically??? Also, I know she's AP Indy on top, but what's the sire line on the bottom?\
Here ya go:
http://www.pedigreequery.com/progeny/better+than+honour

Drvmb1ggl3
Jun. 9, 2007, 07:43 PM
No point in getting her in the breeding shed this year. It's June. May babies are really late babies for thoroughbreds. Breed her next year in February...

Plus all the Ashford/Coolmore stallions are in Australia right now :) :)

canyonoak
Jun. 9, 2007, 07:49 PM
OMGiH!

what an amazing, extravagant mare!

the voiceover just happened to be droning on how most of the colts are bigger/stronger at this stage in their lives, which is why so few fillies take them on,etc etc...and my TV switched to a shot of Rags to Riches and I took one look at that gi-normous rear end powering along (and that dainty head, swoon) and I thought, wowsers, I'll bet you might be in in top 3!

I'm almost tired, I yelled so much at the TV!

ROFL

ms raven
Jun. 9, 2007, 08:15 PM
Speechless. What a fabulous, thrilling race and an incredible filly! She's so beautiful, love her 'tude!

Cheers to all the "chestnut mares" out there! What a champion!

:winkgrin:

ms raven
Jun. 9, 2007, 08:28 PM
Video! Via NYRA Belmont Park (http://www.nyra.com/Belmont/Broadcast/Video/Video.shtml#)

teal tea
Jun. 9, 2007, 08:33 PM
Totally watched it and I was very excited and happy. :cool:

Elly Mae II
Jun. 9, 2007, 08:38 PM
I'm another who never yells at the TV but did this time.

I see where Secretariat is in her pedigree also. He did pretty well in the Belmont too!

grits
Jun. 9, 2007, 08:48 PM
Bloodhorse.com has the race clip on their site.

Bayou Roux
Jun. 9, 2007, 08:54 PM
Video! Via NYRA Belmont Park (http://www.nyra.com/Belmont/Broadcast/Video/Video.shtml#)

Thanks! I was at the barn with my own chestnut filly with a blaze, and I missed the race. I'm in tears! What a delight!

2Dogs
Jun. 9, 2007, 08:55 PM
I was in a bar of no horse lovers, but I got them to turn the race on and I was screaming at the top of my lungs. Had to apologize to my neighbors. what a frigging fantastic race. Teared up for sure.

You go girl is right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

miss_critic
Jun. 9, 2007, 08:58 PM
The racing today sure made up for the coverage. First, how can you show the races they did (nongraded) show and NOT show the Acorn or Manhattan, which was SUPER SUPER exciting. It doesn't get better than a 4 (?) horse blanket. (go to bloodhorse.com to check 'em out)

2nd, Jeanine said only 9 filly's have tried for the Belmont...that was a bit annoying since it was like 22. Maybe i misheard her....

3rd I guess I don't need to mention the sound issues.

4th How can you not love Randy and Kenny???

5th What a race. I can't remember a year when all 3 TC races have been THIS good with NO TC on the line.

6th I wish everybody would leave the SS camp alone. They want a sound horse in the fall, can you blame them? None of the stars of the TC road have come out after the TC in the past 3 years and done much. The media should focus on picking on these yahoos retiring 3 yr olds (smarty and alex) rather than SS missing one race.

What a day. I love horses :)

Now I have to go from this high of R2R and cry for 2 hours as I am sure y'all are doing.

Portia
Jun. 9, 2007, 09:06 PM
I'm sitting in my office working on a brief, with the small TV on in the background and watched the race. I don't know what the other folks who were here thought when I started yelling, "Come on little girl! Come on little girl! You can beat him!" :D

Not that she's a "little" girl. Man is she beautiful. :)

Iride
Jun. 9, 2007, 11:20 PM
<<Video! Via NYRA Belmont Park>> (http://www.nyra.com/Belmont/Broadcast/Video/Video.shtml#)

Why can't I seem to locate it? I logged in and I can't seem to access or find it :mad:

vineyridge
Jun. 9, 2007, 11:45 PM
Her owners seem to think that Better Than Honour does best with A P Indy or Storm Cat. She's had one foal by an AP Indy son, Mineshaft, 2 by AP Indy, one by Storm Cat, two by Giant's Causeway (Storm Cat son), and Jazil is Seeking the Gold. Of course, all of them are really "hot", fashionable stallions. I'm waiting to see how her Giant's Causeway foals will do, as his reputation could use a boost, and she seems the mare to do it.

If I were going to breed Better than Honour again, I'd ship her to England and breed her to Shirocco, even if Sheik Mohammed does own him. Or see if the ancient Sadler's Wells could still perform. And run the foal in Europe, on turf. The dam is one in a zillion.

Unlike stallions, mares can usually make more money on the racetrack than as broodmares, and breaking down doesn't change their value. Unless she (R2R) produces foals that consistently sell for millions. So I'd HOPE they let Rags to Riches run at least as long as Azeri did.

Better than Honour's first foal (by Storm Cat) sold at Keeneland for $1500 in 2001. What was Storm Cat's stud fee in 2001?

Barnfairy
Jun. 10, 2007, 12:21 AM
Now THAT was a horse race.

Simply awesome.

Kenike
Jun. 10, 2007, 12:49 AM
I was screaming at the 2 of them...it's good hubby was at work, but my 1 yr old found it funny and belly laughed at me :lol:

I LOVE Curlin, but today wanted either him or Rags To Riches to win, so I was dying! I think he's proven his worth, but I was so excited over a girl, who STUMBLED, is trained by Todd Pletcher, won!!

Did 5 lbs make a difference? Maybe, but I don't think it made THAT big a difference today

gainesvillerider
Jun. 10, 2007, 01:31 AM
Question about TB breeding. Can you guys do embryo transfer or not? I know you have to do live cover but I wasn't sure about the transfer.

Portia
Jun. 10, 2007, 01:40 AM
Nope, the JC does not allow embryo transfer. None of that new fangled technology stuff for them.

Huntertwo
Jun. 10, 2007, 04:00 AM
I scared every cat and my dog out of the room with all my screaming, my poor coffee table took a beating also...lol

Did anyone else notice that every male commentator keep repeating that she raced with 5 less lbs.? Filly envy perhaps? ;)

At the same time she also ran on the outside, which would have made her cover more ground than the inside horses. They never mentioned that!

To bad they didn't enter her in the Derby and the Preakness.

Sannois
Jun. 10, 2007, 06:47 AM
Nope, the JC does not allow embryo transfer. None of that new fangled technology stuff for them.

I am glad they have never changed and hope they never do! :yes:

Dispatcher
Jun. 10, 2007, 07:29 AM
What a beautiful filly! Yay for her fabulous race!

On ESPN, WHAT was with that announcer calling Asmusen--ASS mussen??

VirginiaBred
Jun. 10, 2007, 07:39 AM
What's that phrase? "Blood will tell" or something??

And Denny Emerson's fabulous quote: "Pedigree Breeds Performance".

Fred
Jun. 10, 2007, 07:59 AM
What an incredible race, and what an incredible filly.
Curlin ran a very tough race, and he tried his heart out, but she would not let him by.
I was screaming my heart out (alternately crying my heart out with all the Ruffian promos) and the dog and cats were scattering everywhere.

I love AP Indy, and of course Deputy Minister (with a pedigree full of all the old Canadian names - Vice Regent,ND, Bunty Lawless , Windfields etc)

Bugs-n-Frodo
Jun. 10, 2007, 09:01 AM
YAY!!!! Girl POWER! I missed the race, the first time in many many years I have missed a leg of the TC. :( I woud have loved to see the race 'specially since Rags to Riches won it. What a good girl. :yes:

FLAbreds
Jun. 10, 2007, 09:23 AM
What a beautiful filly! Yay for her fabulous race!

On ESPN, WHAT was with that announcer calling Asmusen--ASS mussen??

We noticed that, too. :lol: Overall, ABC's coverage stank! Except for the awesome camera work during the stakes races...too cool!

BUT WOO HOO for Rags to Riches! I strained my voice screaming for her in the stretch. What class!!!! Her slingshot move at the top of the stretch was pure brilliance. Then denying Curlin as he gave one more valiant effort. Curlin was OWNED! :D

pwynnnorman
Jun. 10, 2007, 12:39 PM
Vineyridge, interesting stuff (and I forgot totally about the time of year--living in FL, can't tell the seasons well).

Was that a typo? I $1500 Storm Cat? I don't get it!

vineyridge
Jun. 10, 2007, 02:18 PM
Pwynn, it was a typo. Left of a whole bunch of zeroes. It's actually 1,500,000. Mare's name is Teeming, and she raced 4 times at 4, winning 3 (no blacktype) for a total of just over 67,000.

Better Than Honour herself was sold at Keeneland in 2004 for 2,000,000 in foal to Mineshaft. That's when she ended up at Coolmore. What she is, is a producer and then some. Blue Hen, anyone?

She's had a 1,500,000 foal, a 925,000 AP Indy filly, and the Mineshaft foal went for 950,000. Jazil only went for 725,000!!! Rags to Riches sold for 1,900,000, and the most recent sale was of the 925,000 AP Indy mare who went as a broodie for 525,000. The last one looks like a real bargain in the bubble.

Drvmb1ggl3
Jun. 10, 2007, 03:51 PM
Better than Honour is not owned by Coolmore.
She was bred to Storm Cat this year. If that turns out to be a colt, the sky's the limit when he goes through the ring at Keenland in Sep '09.
The Maktoums won't bid on her Giant's Causeway offspring, so Coolmore should pick those up handily.

AffirmedHope
Jun. 10, 2007, 04:03 PM
Pletcher and Velazquez finally got his TC race win.

rcloisonne
Jun. 10, 2007, 04:17 PM
First time in history they said that siblings won back to back!
I suppose... since TB folk don't consider horses by the same sire siblings but for the record, Man O War sired back to back Belmont winners with American Flag (1925) and Crusader (1926).

miss_critic
Jun. 10, 2007, 05:59 PM
The Maktoums won't bid on her Giant's Causeway offspring, so Coolmore should pick those up handily.

Why?

Essie
Jun. 10, 2007, 08:16 PM
What a great race! :cool: Does anyone know how big Rags to Riches is? I'm curious; she looked so petite running next to Curlin.

Drvmb1ggl3
Jun. 10, 2007, 08:45 PM
The Maktoums won't bid on her Giant's Causeway offspring, so Coolmore should pick those up handily.Why?

The Maktoums have a boycott against Coolmore sired yearlings. They feel Coolmore doesn't buy Darley sired stock so they responded in kind. They also feel slighted that Coolmore's racing wing has sent few horses to the big racing carnival in Dubai each March, and when they did send something neither trainer Aidan O'Brien or Coolmore supremo John Magnier bothered to attend, which apparently caused great offense.

The former is probably a justified business move. The latter is plain silliness, as Ballydoyle trained horses are still in their winter coats in March, they don't hit their stride till May. But hell hath no fury like an oil rich sheik scorned.

Darley did just buy the breeding rights to recent Derby winner, Authorised, who happens to be by one of Coolmore's flagship stallions, Montjeu. Whether that is a softening of the boycott, or is rationalised as acquiring the stallion rights to a top racing age colt and hence nor neccesarily supporting Coolmore, remains to be seen.

vineyridge
Jun. 10, 2007, 09:20 PM
If BBA (Ire) isn't one of Coolmore's many arms, who is it? They're the ones who bought Better Than Honour.

Just Googled it. BBA (Ireland) stands for British Bloodstock Agency, Ireland, which is a totally breed to sell operation. Essentially, Better Than Honour is a baby factory for the sales ring.

Drvmb1ggl3
Jun. 10, 2007, 09:57 PM
If BBA (Ire) isn't one of Coolmore's many arms, who is it? They're the ones who bought Better Than Honour.

Just Googled it. BBA (Ireland) stands for British Bloodstock Agency, Ireland, which is a totally breed to sell operation. Essentially, Better Than Honour is a baby factory for the sales ring.

BBA Ireland are the Irish wing of the British Blodstock Agency. They are one of the most famous bloodstock agencies in the world and buy and sell horses for a lot of people.

Better that Honour was purchased privatley last for by John Sikura of Hill n' Dale for a consortium he put together.

InVA
Jun. 11, 2007, 11:47 AM
I'm another who never yells at the TV but did this time.

I see where Secretariat is in her pedigree also. He did pretty well in the Belmont too!

uh, DUH! Rags to Riches is is BY A.P. Indy (won the Belmont in 1992) . A.P. Indy is BY Seattle Slew (won the Belmont in 1977), AP Indy is out of Weekend Surprise who is by Secretariat (Won the Belmont is 1973)... I'd say she's bred to do the job!

Catalina
Jun. 11, 2007, 12:32 PM
Absolutely amazing race!!!!!

WhiteCamry
Jun. 11, 2007, 01:05 PM

Why do you think she won? Her daddy and her granddaddy both won the Belmont, and she's also a half-sister to last year's winner. So mommy and daddy both have successful Belmont blood. It's that distance-race breeding that led them to enter her in the first place!

And her great-granddaddy, too ... what was his name ... had a good turn of hoof ...