The U.S. Equestrian Federation and U.S. Equestrian Team Foundation have announced several eventing competition grants for European competition in the fall of 2014.
Jacqueline B. Mars Competition and Training Grants will go to Lillian Heard and Kurt Martin, two riders who’ve been identified and recommended by the USEF Eventing Selectors based on their records and potential to represent the United States in future international competition.
Heard, Hamilton, Va., will compete her 12-year-old Thoroughbred-cross gelding Share Option at the Les Etoiles De Pau CCI**** (France), Oct. 22-26.
Martin, Middleburg, Va., will compete his 8-year-old Holsteiner mare Anna Bella at the Military Boekelo CCIO*** (the Netherlands), Oct. 9-12.
USEF Land Rover Competition Grants will be awarded to the following horse-and-rider combinations based on entry in specific three- and four-star competitions abroad:
The Land Rover Burghley CCI**** (England), Sept. 4-7
- Buck Davidson, Ocala, Fla., and Carl and Cassandra Segal’s Park Trader, a 12-year-old Irish Thoroughbred gelding
- Phillip Dutton, West Grove, Pa., and Bruce Duchossois’ Mighty Nice, a 10-year-old Irish Sport Horse gelding
- Meghan O’Donoghue, Carbondale, Ill., and her own Pirate, a 12-year-old Thoroughbred gelding
The Land Rover Burghley CCI**** or The Fidelity Blenheim Palace International Horse Trials CCI*** (England), Sept. 11-14
- Jan Byyny, Purcellville, Va., and her own and Dick and Jo Bynny’s Inmidair, a 15-year-old New Zealand Thoroughbred gelding
- Hannah Sue Burnett, The Plains, Va., and Jacqueline Mars’ Harbour Pilot, an 11-year-old Irish Sport Horse gelding
- Lauren Kieffer, Middleburg, Va., and Team Rebecca, LLC’s Veronica, a 12-year-old Dutch Warmblood mare
The Fidelity Blenheim Palace International Horse Trials CCI***
- Phillip Dutton, West Grove, Pa., and Tom Tierney and Simon Roosevelt’s Fernhill Cubalawn, an 11-year-old Holsteiner gelding
The Land Rover Burghley CCI**** or Les Etoiles De Pau CCI****
- Marilyn Little, Frederick, Md., and Raylyn Farms and Team Demeter’s RF Demeter, a 12-year-old Oldenburg mare
The Military Boekelo CCIO***
- Kurt Martin, Middleburg, Va., and his own Anna Bella, an 8-year-old Holsteiner mare
- Mackenna Shea, Tacoma, Wash., and her own Landioso, a 12-year-old Bavarian Warmblood gelding
- Sharon White, Summit Point, WVa., and Mary Ann Ghadban’s Under Suspection, a 10-year-old Holsteiner mare
Les Etoiles De Pau CCI****
- Lillian Heard, Hamilton, Va., and her own Share Option, a 12-year-old Thoroughbred-cross gelding
- Clark Montgomery, Wiltshire, U.K., and Jessica Montgomery, Kathryn Kraft, and Holly and William Becker’s Loughan Glen, an 11-year-old Irish Sport Horse gelding
- Doug Payne, Apex, N.C., and Larry and Amelia Ross’ and his own Crown Talisman, an 11-year-old Holsteiner/Thoroughbred gelding.
Additionally, as per the USEF Selection Procedures for Eventing, traveling reserves will be named prior to the definite entry date to the Land Rover U.S. Eventing Team for the 2014 Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games from the previously named alternates.