The U.S. Equestrian Federation announced the return of Debbie McDonald as the Developing Coach for the 2013 USEF Developing Dressage Program.
The program, made possible by a generous gift from Akiko Yamazaki and Red Husky Foundation through the U.S. Equestrian Team Foundation, seeks to identify talented combinations with potential for future team and international success. The first step in this process will be to watch horses and riders at pre-determined observation competitions. From the observation competitions, combinations will be named to take part in mandatory outings, including training sessions and/or clinics with McDonald. She and another selector will work with riders’ personal trainers to observe the combinations’ progress. The end-of-the-year goal for the program is to provide funding for European training and competition experience for these combinations.
Anyone interested in taking part in the 2013 Dressage Developing Program should plan to attend at least one of eight competitions selected for observation by two selectors.
The following individuals have been named as selectors by the USEF High Performance Dressage Committee:
- Debbie McDonald, USEF Developing Coach
- Jeremy Steinberg, USEF Youth Coach
- Scott Hassler, USEF Young Horse Coach
- Anne Gribbons
- Lendon Gray
Observation Competitions include:
- Gold Coast Opener CDI-W/*/U25 West Palm Beach, Fla., Jan. 17-20
- Mid-Winter Dressage Fair CDI***/* Burbank, Calif., Feb. 21-24
- WEF Dressage Classic CDI***/*/U25 Wellington Fla., March 14-17
- Del Mar National Del Mar CDI*** California, April 25-28
- Houston Dressage Society Spring Classic CDI***/* Katy, Texas, April 25-28
- USEF Developing Horse Championship Wayne, Ill., Aug. 22-15
- NEDA Fall Festival Saugerties CDI-W/***/* New York, Sept. 12-15
- USEF National Intermediaire I Dressage Championship (USEF Dressage Festival of Champions) Lexington, Ky., Oct. 10-13
Any competitor in the CDI classes (Prix St. Georges, Intermediaire I and U-25 Young Adult Grand Prix) or the national classes (Developing Horse Prix St. Georges, Grand Prix and USEF Brentina Cup) will be observed by at least two selectors.
Training grant information and an application process will be announced at a later date. The application process will include training, competition plans and European and international competition goals.