The long-standing rivalry in the polo community between the United States and Great Britain, continued as the two adversaries met on Sunday in their quest to win the coveted International Cup. Marc and Melissa Ganzi hosted the teams from the U.K. for a long holiday weekend that culminated with a great Sunday afternoon of polo at the Grand Champions Polo Club in Wellington. The Ganzi's not only hosted the event, but the couple, known as the "first family" of Wellington polo, both played on their respective U.S. teams.
The U.S. women's team and the U.K. women's team kicked off the afternoon at a 1:00 p.m. match, which resulted in a 7-2 win for Great Britain. By the time the U.S. Men's team faced off with their British counterparts at the 3:00 p.m. match, the pressure was on! The men fought long and hard, and ultimately, Team U.S. pulled off an 8.5-6 victory.
The rivalry between the U.S. and the U.K. will have to be continued, but the true winners of this afternoon polo doubleheader were the National Museum of Polo and Hall of Fame in Lake Worth. All of the proceeds for the tournament will be donated to the Museum to go towards their plans for a new annex.
Thanks to all of the following tournament sponsors, who helped to make this event possible:
- Polo Gear USA- www.pologearusa.com
- Tiffany & Co., Palm Beach- www.tiffany.com
- International Polo Club Palm Beach- www.internationalpoloclub.com
- The Wanderers Club--- www.wanderersclubwellington.com
- Armand Professional Services Inc. www.armandpest.com
- Gay Polo League- www.gaypolo.com
- Phelps Media Group, Inc. International --- www.phelpsmediagroup.com
- Wellington Preservation Coalition--- www.wellingtonpreservationcoalition.org
VIP Pavilion Sponsors
- Champagne Perrier-Jouet -- www.perrier-jouet.com
- Nespresso-- www.nespresso-usa.com
- Palm Beach Illustrated-- www.palmbeachillustrated.com
- Tito's Handmade Vodka-- www.titosvodka.com
- Oli's Fashion Cuisine-- www.oliswellington.com
Polo & Team Sponsors