You see them every week—stories in the media about horses. But of course they’re not stories about horse sports, they’re tidbits about someone getting arrested for riding drunk* or having to fish a horse out of a swimming pool. They’re weird stories, and they’re often funny. We’ve collected what we think are the best bizarre horse stories of the year, compiled here for your entertainment.
(As far as we know, no horses were hurt in the making of these stories, though we can’t say the same for the drunk humans.)
- “Police in Austin, Texas, arrested two men on charges of drunken driving after they allegedly blocked traffic on East Sixth Street while riding a horse and a mule.” From AOL News
- “Friday night around 11:20, a man knew he was too drunk to drive but really wanted to travel to a 7-Eleven to buy some cigarettes.” From KSL
- Guitarist Dave Mustaine found a miniature horse in a junkyard, and now “Rocky” is one of his prized possessions. From Spin
- Pony gets stuck in tire while attempting to graze. Fortunately, this story has a happy ending: Firefighters arrived in time to cut the pony out of her rubber prison. From Daily Mail
- “I heard a splash and I thought, ‘Oh no, the horse fell in the pool,’ said the owner’s son, who did not want to be identified.” From WCVB Boston
- “I was trying to enjoy my morning cup of coffee, when I heard this crash outside,” said Tatiana Golter. “The horse had fallen halfway into the window well, and before I could get a rope, she had slid in the rest of the way.” From KMGH Denver
- “I said, ‘Kindly come and pick up your manure,’ ” he said. “The woman was very nice. She said, ‘I’ll let Streets and San. know.’ ” From The Chicago Tribune
- Not related to real, live horses, but this poor girl somehow ended up trapped in a “clothes horse” for more than an hour before firefighters freed her. From BBC News
- Italian mobsters don’t really leave horse heads in beds anymore. From C News
- But this 30-foot horse head recently travelled from England to Australia. From Horse & Hound
*This helpful website would like to mention that riding a horse while intoxicated isn’t technically illegal. You can call them for further consultation.
Chronicle staffer Lisa is looking for all the weirdest horse news out there. Have you spotted any equine-related oddities in mainstream media? Email her at Lisa@chronofhorse.com.